8.6

1. Oct 15, 2011
    Colin Farrell throws in a unforgettably arrogant but funny performance with great support from Brendan Gleeson in the sly but direct black-comedy "In Bruges". Its a must watch for those who ponder about the meaning of life.
  2. WepmajoE
    Mar 24, 2009
    Perfect from start to finish. The dry sometimes extremely dark humor shoots your funny bone as the dramatic scenes shoot through your nerves. Great performances all around, beautiful locales, excellent pacing. By far the best movie of last year.
  3. JamieB.
    Apr 6, 2008
    Best film of 2008 so far. This superb film has an incredibly complex message about the power of violence and nonviolence, and layers of depth which many critics seem to miss (did they noticed Chloe's speech "homage is too strong a word" compares the movie within a movie to Don't Look Now, the movie of which In Bruges itself is a pastiche). It's also hilarious.
  4. Ogest
    Jul 22, 2008
    It wasn't what I expected. And that's why I give it 9. I was freaking surprised after this movie. It was genius. Very good dialogues, beautiful scenery, dark humor, interesting plot. Definetely a must see, especially now when there are not that much good dvds to rent.
  5. RobertM.
    Feb 17, 2008
    In Bruges is a superb morality play set in a very dark comedy. The pace is fast, the dialogue crisp (if a bit too profane) and the actors timing is on the money.
  6. Gary
    Feb 17, 2008
    Excellent movie. Engaging, well-acted, written, and directed, with an oddly transcendent feel.
  7. NigelH.
    May 2, 2008
    One of the best films I've ever seen. Not only are there some great jokes, but it also makes you think about some important issues; should murderers be allowed a chance for redemption? How strong are your principals? McDonagh is, in my opinion the best living playwright, and this film demonstrates that he is as talented writer for screen as for stage. Fecking brilliant.
  8. Feb 27, 2011
    Truly genius! The acting, the dialogue, the humor, the story, the music - it's just great. This is, surely, one of the best films of the decade. And, damn it, why it is so underrated - only 64%, its ridicules. Some people just cant understand it.
  9. Apr 19, 2012
    The film is just perfect. Destined to be a cult, well balanced between dark humor (very funny) and blood thrilling scenes. The climax that rises from the first scene to the end probably touches its peak when the music of The Dubliners gives the film its epic touch. Colin Farrel and Brendan Gleeson are perfect in their roles. Can't think of anything that goes wrong. Masterpiece!
  10. Nov 11, 2013
    What happens when you mix a rated R movie with an over sensitive, stick-up-ass audience? You get something completely underrated. From complaining about the use of the F word or having a fit about non-politically correct jokes, yet not even batting a lash over excessive gore and violence, the American poop troop are sure to be offended by this masterpiece of film. Amazingly enough, thereWhat happens when you mix a rated R movie with an over sensitive, stick-up-ass audience? You get something completely underrated. From complaining about the use of the F word or having a fit about non-politically correct jokes, yet not even batting a lash over excessive gore and violence, the American poop troop are sure to be offended by this masterpiece of film. Amazingly enough, there are people who would go into this with its rating, categories and summery and be utterly flabbergasted at what they just saw. I can only imagine these same viewers renting Backdoor Sluts 9 and finding themselves perplexed as to why they are watching a bunch of whores getting rammed in the rear. Dear reader, if you are not a prissy princess with the mental IQ of a pile of rotting monkey balls, you might actually enjoy In Bruges. If on the other hand you are currently suffering from butthurtitis, red in the face and about to punch your monitor after reading my review, I kindly ask that you suck on my nuts. Expand
  11. SunilB
    Feb 11, 2008
    I found this movie to be mediocre. The plot was decent, but the movie was quite slow-paced and dragging along at time. Colin acted quite well in it though the whole thing about ragging on Bruges just didn't make any sense. The humor was no ha-ha, from my perspective, but a chuckle here and there. All in all, I would recommend waiting for a DVD on this one.
  12. LeahR
    Aug 5, 2008
    Awkward mashup of grave moral dilemmas with dialogue that strains itself trying to be shockingly un-PC. For all the racist, midget, molestation etc. jokes, I never felt shocked so much as embarrassed for the actors reciting such groan-worthy material. Farrell's caterpillar eyebrows provide the most action this movie has to offer. The running gag of making fun of Bruges (often by Awkward mashup of grave moral dilemmas with dialogue that strains itself trying to be shockingly un-PC. For all the racist, midget, molestation etc. jokes, I never felt shocked so much as embarrassed for the actors reciting such groan-worthy material. Farrell's caterpillar eyebrows provide the most action this movie has to offer. The running gag of making fun of Bruges (often by simply saying, "We're in Bruges!") was old at 10 minutes in, but dragged on for what felt like much longer than its running time. The movie draws a line through the middleground of "dark comedy" and leaps gracelessly back and forth across it, never managing an inspired balance between them like Pulp Fiction. An incohesive, grating bore with an ending that will leave you shocked at its predictability--so they did at least manage to get in one shocker! Expand
  13. AllyD.
    May 4, 2008
    Really boring to watch, there's little to no sexual appeal from what I saw and no action to be found. Not really that funny either it's just Collin Ferrel nothing special. Avoid this crap.
  14. MarkH.
    Jan 4, 2009
    The film tries so hard to be politically incorrect and indie odd that it comes across as a parody of itself. The illogical story lines and impossible timing of events make this an unbearable and embarassing movie to sit through.
  15. Kristina
    Feb 14, 2008
    Bad acting, unlikeable and underdeveloped characters , bizarre and stupid situations, too much blood, ridiculous ending. Wanted to walk out before the end but kept hoping for a memorable or meaningful twist that never materialized. A big waste of $19.00!. My husband and I were both disappointed in this move, but the one good thing about it was that we learned something about Bruges and Bad acting, unlikeable and underdeveloped characters , bizarre and stupid situations, too much blood, ridiculous ending. Wanted to walk out before the end but kept hoping for a memorable or meaningful twist that never materialized. A big waste of $19.00!. My husband and I were both disappointed in this move, but the one good thing about it was that we learned something about Bruges and would like to visit there someday. Expand
  16. JaredC.
    Feb 9, 2008
    Two thumbs up for In Bruges.
  17. EmmetOR.
    Apr 6, 2008
    Being Irish, I was so ashamed by this movie. It takes cheap shots at any ethnic group, physical disability, and allows the characters to make fun. There's a joke about the Belgian murders. It's all about making fun of midgets, beating up women, shooting kids, hating Belgium, beating down Americans, and being generally foreign-phobic. It's not overtly racist, because they Being Irish, I was so ashamed by this movie. It takes cheap shots at any ethnic group, physical disability, and allows the characters to make fun. There's a joke about the Belgian murders. It's all about making fun of midgets, beating up women, shooting kids, hating Belgium, beating down Americans, and being generally foreign-phobic. It's not overtly racist, because they have an angry midget to be the racist mouthpiece. I couldn't stick it anymore, and left just before the end, and I've never done that before. You can see that it's influenced by Pulp Fiction, but it's nowhere near as good. This movie is disgracefully bad, and if you have the slightest PC bone in your body, then skip it. Expand
  18. JanO.
    Jun 26, 2008
    Fine script, good acting, Farrell as a bad guy, solid crew. But ending is over-egged (rating - 9/10 or even 10/10 without ending; in this case - solid 8!) Recommended!
  19. AgathaX
    Mar 4, 2008
    A morality tale delivered with laughs and blood. The humor veers between smart and surreal. The movie was brilliantly acted by Brendan Gleeson, with a strong performance by Colin Farrell, and a slightly overwrought performance by Ralph Fiennes. Ralph Fiennes, alone among the actors, appeared to try to play the part for laughs. And alone among the actors, he failed. The movie is marred by A morality tale delivered with laughs and blood. The humor veers between smart and surreal. The movie was brilliantly acted by Brendan Gleeson, with a strong performance by Colin Farrell, and a slightly overwrought performance by Ralph Fiennes. Ralph Fiennes, alone among the actors, appeared to try to play the part for laughs. And alone among the actors, he failed. The movie is marred by profanity and gore which will limit its appeal, which is sad because it is a true gem. It also has odd references to blacks, which made me a bit uncomfortable watching, and may have made me yet more uncomfortable were I black. I think the story intended to deal with racism in the same brutal yet light way in which it dealt with courage, redemption and second chances. It did not work. The few offending scenes are a bit like pimples on an otherwise likable countenance. Expand
  20. Dom
    Feb 20, 2008
    Great actors and a wonderful setting. It's been a long time since I enjoyed the atmosphere and the sense of humor of a movie that much.
  21. Steve
    Apr 4, 2008
    A fine little movie! A very black comedy that makes you laugh out loud without quite knowing why.
  22. RichardW.
    Feb 16, 2008
    While indecisive in trying to be both a comedy and, ultimately, a bloodbath, Bruges has great highs, some lowbrow humor, and great lows.
  23. Sean
    Feb 17, 2008
    Absolutely the freshest, funniest and most poignant movie of the season. And, strangely enough, the most hopeful movie about man's capacity for second chances and doing the right thing. Colin Farrell is a joy to watch him at the top of his game. Brendan Gleason is perfect. Seeing Ralph Fiennes going over the top as the crime boss is delicious. Martin McDonough is the new cinematic voice.
  24. EdM.
    Feb 22, 2008
    Nicely black comedy. The wordplay is great, as the two protagonists cool off in the charming, boring city of Bruges.
  25. MarcK.
    Feb 24, 2008
    Although still February, will almost certainly make by "Best of 2008" list. Funny, clever, well-written, but not too over-the-top. Definitely influenced by "Pulp Fiction" and "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels." Professional critics who didn't like this film are clueless.
  26. ChrisB.
    Feb 7, 2008
    Engaging plot for a fairly bloody action picture. Brendan Gleeson is a real treat and his buddy combo with Colin Farrell has some nice chemistry. Ralph Fiennes in a role that will surprise you. Voldemort has definitely gone to his head. Interesting twist ending. We saw a sneak preview and it was the weirdest crowd in recent memory. They laughed uproariously at jokes that were only mildly Engaging plot for a fairly bloody action picture. Brendan Gleeson is a real treat and his buddy combo with Colin Farrell has some nice chemistry. Ralph Fiennes in a role that will surprise you. Voldemort has definitely gone to his head. Interesting twist ending. We saw a sneak preview and it was the weirdest crowd in recent memory. They laughed uproariously at jokes that were only mildly funny. Must have been McDonagh's cousins. Give it a look and enjoy the odd juxtaposition of comedy and brutality. Expand
  27. RitB
    Feb 9, 2008
    If Hieronymus Bosch were alive and making movies instead of painting, he would make "In Bruges". Strange, brutal at times, beautiful at times, unpredictable and fascinating.
  28. TomasV.
    Feb 9, 2008
    A surprisingly funny, engaging plot, with a superb performance by an otherwise inconsistent Colin Farrell. The movie's focus around Bruges was very interesting, and the dialogue between Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell throughout was quite compelling. Some parts of the movie were a little confusing, however, in that the viewer didn't necessarily know whether to laugh or feel sad.
  29. NickD.
    Mar 24, 2008
    This film is hilarious. And it is also very dark and gro. The progression through the story is extremely well-wrought. One of the best films I have seen this year. Seriously hilarious.
  30. BryanM.
    Mar 26, 2008
    While darkly humorous at times, the movie never quite lifted off the ground for me. Odd, bloody, and drawn out. A much different film than it's trailers portray.

1. Chock full of wonderful lines delivered by a splendid cast, the film toys with the conventions and mostly transcends the limitations.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    Closer to pics like “The Hit” and “Miller’s Crossing” than to McDonagh’s bristling, funny plays, this half-comic, half-serious account of two Irish hitmen who are sent to the titular Belgian burg to cool their heels after a job is moderately fair as a nutty character study, but overly far-fetched once the action kicks in.
    No one wants a movie that tiptoes in step with political correctness, yet the willful opposite can be equally noxious, and, as In Bruges barges and blusters its way through dwarf jokes, child-abuse jokes, jokes about fat black women, and moldy old jokes about Americans, it runs the risk of pleasing itself more than its paying viewers.