In Bruges

8.8

1. Oct 15, 2011
    Colin Farrell throws in a unforgettably arrogant but funny performance with great support from Brendan Gleeson in the sly but direct black-comedy "In Bruges". Its a must watch for those who ponder about the meaning of life.
  2. WepmajoE
    Mar 24, 2009
    Perfect from start to finish. The dry sometimes extremely dark humor shoots your funny bone as the dramatic scenes shoot through your nerves. Great performances all around, beautiful locales, excellent pacing. By far the best movie of last year.
  3. JamieB.
    Apr 6, 2008
    Best film of 2008 so far. This superb film has an incredibly complex message about the power of violence and nonviolence, and layers of depth which many critics seem to miss (did they noticed Chloe's speech "homage is too strong a word" compares the movie within a movie to Don't Look Now, the movie of which In Bruges itself is a pastiche). It's also hilarious.
  4. Ogest
    Jul 22, 2008
    It wasn't what I expected. And that's why I give it 9. I was freaking surprised after this movie. It was genius. Very good dialogues, beautiful scenery, dark humor, interesting plot. Definetely a must see, especially now when there are not that much good dvds to rent.
  5. RobertM.
    Feb 17, 2008
    In Bruges is a superb morality play set in a very dark comedy. The pace is fast, the dialogue crisp (if a bit too profane) and the actors timing is on the money.
  6. Gary
    Feb 17, 2008
    Excellent movie. Engaging, well-acted, written, and directed, with an oddly transcendent feel.
  7. NigelH.
    May 2, 2008
    One of the best films I've ever seen. Not only are there some great jokes, but it also makes you think about some important issues; should murderers be allowed a chance for redemption? How strong are your principals? McDonagh is, in my opinion the best living playwright, and this film demonstrates that he is as talented writer for screen as for stage. Fecking brilliant.
  8. Feb 27, 2011
    Truly genius! The acting, the dialogue, the humor, the story, the music - it's just great. This is, surely, one of the best films of the decade. And, damn it, why it is so underrated - only 64%, its ridicules. Some people just cant understand it.
  9. Apr 19, 2012
    The film is just perfect. Destined to be a cult, well balanced between dark humor (very funny) and blood thrilling scenes. The climax that rises from the first scene to the end probably touches its peak when the music of The Dubliners gives the film its epic touch. Colin Farrel and Brendan Gleeson are perfect in their roles. Can't think of anything that goes wrong. Masterpiece!
  10. Nov 11, 2013
    What happens when you mix a rated R movie with an over sensitive, stick-up-ass audience? You get something completely underrated. From complaining about the use of the F word or having a fit about non-politically correct jokes, yet not even batting a lash over excessive gore and violence, the American poop troop are sure to be offended by this masterpiece of film. Amazingly enough, thereWhat happens when you mix a rated R movie with an over sensitive, stick-up-ass audience? You get something completely underrated. From complaining about the use of the F word or having a fit about non-politically correct jokes, yet not even batting a lash over excessive gore and violence, the American poop troop are sure to be offended by this masterpiece of film. Amazingly enough, there are people who would go into this with its rating, categories and summery and be utterly flabbergasted at what they just saw. I can only imagine these same viewers renting Backdoor Sluts 9 and finding themselves perplexed as to why they are watching a bunch of whores getting rammed in the rear. Dear reader, if you are not a prissy princess with the mental IQ of a pile of rotting monkey balls, you might actually enjoy In Bruges. If on the other hand you are currently suffering from butthurtitis, red in the face and about to punch your monitor after reading my review, I kindly ask that you suck on my nuts. Expand
  11. Feb 25, 2015
    I was told this film had emotionally intensity but it's one of the worst piles of garbage I've ever seen. Colin Farrell's acting is terrible, the plot is cliched, none of the characters except Brendan Gleeson are likeable. The one female character is incredibly weak and soulless. It seems to think being mean to dwarfs is incredibly funny. In fact the whole film is build around thisI was told this film had emotionally intensity but it's one of the worst piles of garbage I've ever seen. Colin Farrell's acting is terrible, the plot is cliched, none of the characters except Brendan Gleeson are likeable. The one female character is incredibly weak and soulless. It seems to think being mean to dwarfs is incredibly funny. In fact the whole film is build around this premise. The worst thing about it though is the fact the lead character shows no remorse whatsoever for what's he's done, so you can't empathise with him or like him at all. It's too ridiculous to give its apparent emotional scenes any tour de force. The dialogue is hammy and Ralph Fiennes it just a walking archetype, Harry the London rudeboy, nasty to his wife, says the F word 5 times in every sentence...zzzzz..it was done in Lock stock and it wasn't funny then. Nothing funny about this word. I use it as much as the next person but it has to have context or it just becomes odd and affected. I don't give zeros often but this film offended me. Expand
  12. SunilB
    Feb 11, 2008
    I found this movie to be mediocre. The plot was decent, but the movie was quite slow-paced and dragging along at time. Colin acted quite well in it though the whole thing about ragging on Bruges just didn't make any sense. The humor was no ha-ha, from my perspective, but a chuckle here and there. All in all, I would recommend waiting for a DVD on this one.
  13. LeahR
    Aug 5, 2008
    Awkward mashup of grave moral dilemmas with dialogue that strains itself trying to be shockingly un-PC. For all the racist, midget, molestation etc. jokes, I never felt shocked so much as embarrassed for the actors reciting such groan-worthy material. Farrell's caterpillar eyebrows provide the most action this movie has to offer. The running gag of making fun of Bruges (often by Awkward mashup of grave moral dilemmas with dialogue that strains itself trying to be shockingly un-PC. For all the racist, midget, molestation etc. jokes, I never felt shocked so much as embarrassed for the actors reciting such groan-worthy material. Farrell's caterpillar eyebrows provide the most action this movie has to offer. The running gag of making fun of Bruges (often by simply saying, "We're in Bruges!") was old at 10 minutes in, but dragged on for what felt like much longer than its running time. The movie draws a line through the middleground of "dark comedy" and leaps gracelessly back and forth across it, never managing an inspired balance between them like Pulp Fiction. An incohesive, grating bore with an ending that will leave you shocked at its predictability--so they did at least manage to get in one shocker! Expand
  14. AllyD.
    May 4, 2008
    Really boring to watch, there's little to no sexual appeal from what I saw and no action to be found. Not really that funny either it's just Collin Ferrel nothing special. Avoid this crap.
  15. MarkH.
    Jan 4, 2009
    The film tries so hard to be politically incorrect and indie odd that it comes across as a parody of itself. The illogical story lines and impossible timing of events make this an unbearable and embarassing movie to sit through.
  16. Kristina
    Feb 14, 2008
    Bad acting, unlikeable and underdeveloped characters , bizarre and stupid situations, too much blood, ridiculous ending. Wanted to walk out before the end but kept hoping for a memorable or meaningful twist that never materialized. A big waste of $19.00!. My husband and I were both disappointed in this move, but the one good thing about it was that we learned something about Bruges and Bad acting, unlikeable and underdeveloped characters , bizarre and stupid situations, too much blood, ridiculous ending. Wanted to walk out before the end but kept hoping for a memorable or meaningful twist that never materialized. A big waste of $19.00!. My husband and I were both disappointed in this move, but the one good thing about it was that we learned something about Bruges and would like to visit there someday. Expand
  17. JaredC.
    Feb 9, 2008
    Two thumbs up for In Bruges.
  18. EmmetOR.
    Apr 6, 2008
    Being Irish, I was so ashamed by this movie. It takes cheap shots at any ethnic group, physical disability, and allows the characters to make fun. There's a joke about the Belgian murders. It's all about making fun of midgets, beating up women, shooting kids, hating Belgium, beating down Americans, and being generally foreign-phobic. It's not overtly racist, because they Being Irish, I was so ashamed by this movie. It takes cheap shots at any ethnic group, physical disability, and allows the characters to make fun. There's a joke about the Belgian murders. It's all about making fun of midgets, beating up women, shooting kids, hating Belgium, beating down Americans, and being generally foreign-phobic. It's not overtly racist, because they have an angry midget to be the racist mouthpiece. I couldn't stick it anymore, and left just before the end, and I've never done that before. You can see that it's influenced by Pulp Fiction, but it's nowhere near as good. This movie is disgracefully bad, and if you have the slightest PC bone in your body, then skip it. Expand
  19. JanO.
    Jun 26, 2008
    Fine script, good acting, Farrell as a bad guy, solid crew. But ending is over-egged (rating - 9/10 or even 10/10 without ending; in this case - solid 8!) Recommended!
  20. Dec 24, 2012
    There are a lot of comic moments in this film, mainly in the form of the things Ray says and does. Few films make me laugh out loud, but this one did in more than a couple of places. The drama comes mainly in the final third and I found this put a much darker complexion on the comedic scenes that preceded it. I liked the ending; it seemed quite poetic in a way (sorry, no clues). Over all,There are a lot of comic moments in this film, mainly in the form of the things Ray says and does. Few films make me laugh out loud, but this one did in more than a couple of places. The drama comes mainly in the final third and I found this put a much darker complexion on the comedic scenes that preceded it. I liked the ending; it seemed quite poetic in a way (sorry, no clues). Over all, a very enjoyable film with some laughs, excellent cinematography and some great performances Expand
  21. Oct 11, 2010
    Certainly one of the best movies ever in the genre...so dark,poignant and powerful. with endless surprises. screenplay is fresh & directing is just brilliant and carter bruwells amazing soundtrack makes a deep atmosphere.... Farrell ,Brendan Gleeson & Fiennes made a real great team. in my eyes play writing master Martin McDonaghs first long movie is an independent timelessCertainly one of the best movies ever in the genre...so dark,poignant and powerful. with endless surprises. screenplay is fresh & directing is just brilliant and carter bruwells amazing soundtrack makes a deep atmosphere.... Farrell ,Brendan Gleeson & Fiennes made a real great team. in my eyes play writing master Martin McDonaghs first long movie is an independent timeless masterpiece
    And in one word "Everything Is In Right Place"
  22. Dec 2, 2012
    In Bruges is a phenomenal film. It's unbelievably funny, smart, touching and exciting. Basically speaking, this movie is possibly the best British gangster movie ever made... Oh and Bruges is beautifully shot, too.
  23. Feb 19, 2011
    What a surprising movie! You are getting the impression that almost nothing happen in the first half, but the action increase more and more till the end. A very well played scenario, especially by Brendan Gleeson. The dramatic-comic situation are were wisely place during the plot. All in all, it is a move it is worth to see.
  24. Apr 13, 2011
    Funny, melancholy film with great performances from Gleeson and an unexpectedly excellent Farrell, whose childlike wonder at the sight of a real midget seemed quite genuine. And Bruges looked like a painting which somehow conveys extremes of temperature. Aside from the slightly ersatz note struck by Ralph Fiennes' character (odd casting that: Fiennes is too posh to be a thug), this was anFunny, melancholy film with great performances from Gleeson and an unexpectedly excellent Farrell, whose childlike wonder at the sight of a real midget seemed quite genuine. And Bruges looked like a painting which somehow conveys extremes of temperature. Aside from the slightly ersatz note struck by Ralph Fiennes' character (odd casting that: Fiennes is too posh to be a thug), this was an assured and engaging film. Expand
  25. Jan 22, 2014
    A dark comedy drama a large part of the success of In Bruges can be put down to the witty script and the two central performances from Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson, as well as a cameo from Ralph Fiennes, who manage to keep things grounded even when events start to take a turn towards the absurd. The wholly original setting only adds to the movie making for an enjoyable watch.
  26. Jul 11, 2013
    In Bruges tackles all the issues that a typical comedy offers, an out if the comfort zone setting, an unlikely alliance, romance and of course thrills, but it also offers much more with a clever script very dark humour and an unpredictable story that keeps on giving.
    The Irish duo of powerhouse talents Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson star as two bungling hitmen, Ray and Ken, are sent to Bruges to lay low for a while after a job goes wrong, Ken loves the chance to do all the tourist things, Ray is a more live wire character than his older counterpart, wanting to get right back into jobs. On the phone line is Harry (Ralph Fiennes) who is updating the two on the situation, as he is their employer he keeps them informed for when they can return to England.
    The film takes a twisted yet hilarious look at what is right in front of you in an unorthodox way, the humour, when you think it is finished, keeps on rolling out the obscene remarks and jokes. The highlights of the film come from the realistic and situational approach. It offers very different insights into certain film scenarios,such as shoot outs and the typical bad guy. The film turns most of these on their head and offers this perhaps generational approach, like how grown up films should perhaps become.
    Brendan Gleeson is quite the calm and relaxed gentle giant of the show, is demeanour counteracts the energetic one of Farrell, whose character continuously spits out his distaste for being in Bruges and how he finds and sees everyrhing in a homosexual manner, the politest way to say it.
    In terms of the tone, it never settles for second best, when it wants to tell a very funny joke are put across a hilarious situation, it does so without holding and punches, but when it wants to put a message of despair and emotion, it again delivers the goods without fail, showing the capabilities that Martin McDonagh possesses in story-telling but also reaching out to the audience. Many moment this film will indeed make you laugh in hysterics, but the quieter and closer moments will bring back down to reality.
    An excellent and varied film with a taste for all sorts of genres, giving different nods to previous films and also promoting a witty script and some powerful performances.
  27. Jun 25, 2015
    My friend and I were bored stiff. We got nearly half-way through it before we'd had enough. Unfunny, uninteresting, gave us no reason to watch after the first 15 minutes but we persevered. Totally unrewarding, waste of our lives. Just nothing at all interesting happened. The dialogue may as well be drivel since I didn't give a damn what they were talking about. The characters were boring,My friend and I were bored stiff. We got nearly half-way through it before we'd had enough. Unfunny, uninteresting, gave us no reason to watch after the first 15 minutes but we persevered. Totally unrewarding, waste of our lives. Just nothing at all interesting happened. The dialogue may as well be drivel since I didn't give a damn what they were talking about. The characters were boring, unlikeable, but I just couldn't bare how slow-paced it was... This is perfect torture for a bored person. Expand
  28. Sep 3, 2014
    A clever look into the lives of hitmen... in Bruges! Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson are both funny and convincing. In Bruges is black comedy gold. Another hit for Martin McDonagh.
  29. Dec 16, 2013
    This movie was generally underrated by the critics. This is just a fantastic movie with amazing script, acting, setting, cinematography, everything.

Brilliant.
  30. Jul 26, 2013
    In Bruges is a perfect blend of comedy, action and drama. It has moments that are out right hilarious as well as extremely shocking moments. The entire cast is brilliant especially Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes. It's a must see film.

1. Chock full of wonderful lines delivered by a splendid cast, the film toys with the conventions and mostly transcends the limitations.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    Closer to pics like “The Hit” and “Miller’s Crossing” than to McDonagh’s bristling, funny plays, this half-comic, half-serious account of two Irish hitmen who are sent to the titular Belgian burg to cool their heels after a job is moderately fair as a nutty character study, but overly far-fetched once the action kicks in.
    No one wants a movie that tiptoes in step with political correctness, yet the willful opposite can be equally noxious, and, as In Bruges barges and blusters its way through dwarf jokes, child-abuse jokes, jokes about fat black women, and moldy old jokes about Americans, it runs the risk of pleasing itself more than its paying viewers.