8.9

1. Apr 3, 2013
    This is easily the best documentary on the moon landings, and probably one of the best space documentaries in general. Instead of focusing too much on technical details or basking in nationalism, this film puts you in the astronaut/cosmonauts' shoes and explores the human experience of being on the frontier of exploration. Forget the trivia e.g. about the apollo investments paying forThis is easily the best documentary on the moon landings, and probably one of the best space documentaries in general. Instead of focusing too much on technical details or basking in nationalism, this film puts you in the astronaut/cosmonauts' shoes and explores the human experience of being on the frontier of exploration. Forget the trivia e.g. about the apollo investments paying for themselves several times over or whatever else of that sort. Rather, this film truly conveys the innate and thus self-justifying human desire to explore--something which transcends all of the supposedly necessary economic motivations (and is unfortunately often not realized without experience).

I can't even begin to imagine what it would have been like to participdate in such a thing--or even to be alive during that time (if I had been, I certainly would have taken interest in the sciences at a much younger age), but this film gave me a glimpse of it and also of what our future *could* be.

1. Reviewed by: Leba Hertz
    For those of us too young, this will give you an idea of what it meant to watch those baby steps that led to one giant leap.
  2. Quite simply, a revelation.
    Seeing the Earth from the point of view these men saw it -- ''like a jewel hung in the blackness'' -- tends to put things in perspective.