6.9

1. Sep 13, 2013
    I like the first one a tad more, but this film is still a lot of fun. I know James Wan is moving on from the horror genre, but I hope not for good the guys got a real talent with making films that mixes scares with a solid sense of humor. B+
  2. Sep 13, 2013
    James Wan and Leigh Whannell's Insidious Chapter 2 fully delivers in terms of exploring the mysteries left behind in the previous installment, while also expanding on its intriguing mythology. However, the sequel also embraces the first film's quirkier, campier aspects, which makes for a few good laughs, but also some less-than-terrifying horror sequences. It's an excellent horror piece toJames Wan and Leigh Whannell's Insidious Chapter 2 fully delivers in terms of exploring the mysteries left behind in the previous installment, while also expanding on its intriguing mythology. However, the sequel also embraces the first film's quirkier, campier aspects, which makes for a few good laughs, but also some less-than-terrifying horror sequences. It's an excellent horror piece to swivel into the spiral of its previous film. Expand
  3. Sep 13, 2013
    Considering this is a sequel and sequels are usually rubbish, James Wan does a brilliant job of taking us straight back into the action and exploring the universe he's created in even more depth. If you loved the first film I'd be very surprised if the second one doesn't hit home. Another visionary masterpiece from the best horror director around right now
  4. Sep 13, 2013
    I really enjoyed this movie. I was so scared I was shivering! A nice continuation of the story. I definitely recommend to anyone who enjoyed the first one. I'm no movie critic but I can say I was very entertained.
  5. Sep 18, 2013
    When viewed as a continuation of the first installment, Insidious: Chapter 2 is seamless. There are jumps and gasps galore, a haunted hospital, the proverbial "woman in white" ghost, and an interesting subliminal message about domestic violence. What's not to love?
  6. Sep 14, 2013
    Especially for a sequel, Insidious 2 is really quite a success. I enjoyed it a lot, and so did the person I went with. The whole theater jumped at several points, myself included. Great job, James Wan.
  7. Sep 14, 2013
    its nice chance to see another part from Insidious..as we rarely find good horror movie these days..some people don't like old lady but she is or he really scares me with that over makeup ..best of luck to part 2..we are waiting a lot
  8. Sep 29, 2013
    It may not be better than the first one, but there are a few good scares. I enjoyed how it explains a few unanswered questions from the part one. Still better than a lot of current horror films
  9. Sep 13, 2013
    Chapter 2 will surely be a greatest hit on this years scale.
    I went to see this movie expecting a lame chapter 2 like most movie make but it really surprised me when I got there. I jumped and loved this part 2. Al though the sounds are a bit...bad...I still loved this movie!
    I recommend this movie to anyone.
  10. Sep 15, 2013
    Insidious, Chapter 2 takes a lot of effort to enjoy this creepy, fun, and scary. Much like the first one, this sequel has some few good scares and other was weird backstories with complicated sets that are too silly, but it's a worth to enjoy!
  11. Nov 7, 2013
    Insidious 2 may not be as memorable, good or as scary as its fantastic predecessor, but it certainly is an intense, funny and at times surprising thrill-ride filled with beautifully spooky set-pieces and fantastic sound-design. Though at times not feeling like an Insidious film, it is still a faithful sequel albeit not on par.
  12. Sep 14, 2013
    I just came back from the theatre and I cannot express enough the genius of James Wan and how he directed this film. It's weird at first because it seems to start slow. After 20 minutes I started asking myself whether I wanted to continue to sit through or get up and leave and wait for the bluray version, But, DON'T LEAVE! It starts connecting and leading the viewer to places you've beenI just came back from the theatre and I cannot express enough the genius of James Wan and how he directed this film. It's weird at first because it seems to start slow. After 20 minutes I started asking myself whether I wanted to continue to sit through or get up and leave and wait for the bluray version, But, DON'T LEAVE! It starts connecting and leading the viewer to places you've been familiar with in the first Insidious. Scarier..... about the same. Eeery..... just as much as the first. More screams and bumps in the night..... Definitely! And, this one even has some comedy from the ghost hunters. So glad I watched this and will be buying it when out on bluray! Expand
  13. Sep 15, 2013
    It may not be as good as "The Conjuring" or even the first "Insidious" movie, it is still a pleasure to have some good old fashion scares. Overall, a surprisingly good sequel. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  14. Oct 29, 2013
    I was hoping this would be better, and creepier then the first movie but sadly it wasn't barely anything was creepy and it relied too much on jump scares. But I do like how they explained what happened in the first movie, and the beginning of this one and I loved Patrick Wilson's acting it reminded me of Jack Nicklaus from the Shining.
  15. Sep 23, 2013
    Insidious: Chapter 2 wasn't as scary as The Conjuring and it's predecessor, but I still had a lot of fun watching the movie. It continues where the first movie left off and from then it's a ride of mystery, scares and some laughs. The movie wasn't really that scary like the first one but some scenes still gave me goosebumps and chills. When an intense or horrific scene is happening at theInsidious: Chapter 2 wasn't as scary as The Conjuring and it's predecessor, but I still had a lot of fun watching the movie. It continues where the first movie left off and from then it's a ride of mystery, scares and some laughs. The movie wasn't really that scary like the first one but some scenes still gave me goosebumps and chills. When an intense or horrific scene is happening at the moment, a comedy part was involved and I found that a bit weird. It was a bit weird for me, because some of those scenes were really intense and adding a funny tone to it just doesn't really help. There were plot points that I found really interesting and those things kind of overshadowed the main genre of the movie, horror. It was really interesting that this movie was connected to it's predecessor but I still wanted scenes that would really convince me to leave the theatre. James Wan still did a good job with Insidious: Chapter 2, even though it didn't beat it's predecessor. I am going to give Insidious: Chapter 2 a 7/10. Expand
  16. Sep 23, 2013
    This movie and the previous movie did a great job.It has a reasonable state of each events. Like director wan is focused on the flow of each events. He made it clarify and clear for the audience how it is happened, why is it happening, how it happened. Normally, we can see that the movie has many repetitions but that's because director wan wants us to understand each events. While I'mThis movie and the previous movie did a great job.It has a reasonable state of each events. Like director wan is focused on the flow of each events. He made it clarify and clear for the audience how it is happened, why is it happening, how it happened. Normally, we can see that the movie has many repetitions but that's because director wan wants us to understand each events. While I'm watching this chapter 2 I said to myself that "Oh,so that's why". As your fans, we are expecting an another chapter from this movie. In the end, we can see that there's another entity again, if you really deep understand the story you will feel that there is still something wrong and like it is not done, there is still something that we don't know. I don't know if anybody feel that. Overall my ratings would be 100% excellent movie. Collapse
  17. Jan 5, 2014
    Insidious: Chapter 2, fue creada en una época donde las películas de terror son una verdadera porquería y no se toman en serio, es por esta misma razón y por muchas otras como por ejemplo, un buen argumento e interesantes giros de trama, momentos de suspenso que tortura la mente del espectador para esperar lo menos esperado y muchas escenas perturbadoras que producirán a los que no estánInsidious: Chapter 2, fue creada en una época donde las películas de terror son una verdadera porquería y no se toman en serio, es por esta misma razón y por muchas otras como por ejemplo, un buen argumento e interesantes giros de trama, momentos de suspenso que tortura la mente del espectador para esperar lo menos esperado y muchas escenas perturbadoras que producirán a los que no están acostumbrados a este tipo de películas, varios sustos incontrolables. Si se hubieran esforzado un poco más en la distribución y desarrollo de personajes, la película quedaría espléndida, pero, por ahora me gustó aún más que la primera parte, y algunas de sus escenas te perseguirán hasta lo más profundo de la noche cuando estés durmiendo. Expand
  18. Sep 29, 2013
    A definite improvement over the first one. Even thought that was a good film. Contains a strong use of jumpy scenes with build up of tension. The was the film goes back and forth in time to make sense and fulfil un explained answer later on in the film seemed very clever and keeps the viewer engaged.
    A definite watch for horror fanatics
  19. Oct 23, 2013
    James Wan shows us an amazing sequel! Insisdious: chapter 2 was an excellent movie, full of scares and ghosts, I really enjoyed this film. It was better than the first one more action suspense and horror/humor :P
  20. Mar 6, 2014
    this is the most dumb thing that they could ever do make a another insidious . i thought the sequel what stepped up a a little bitt but it is not that fun . i hope they end insidous 3
  21. Nov 23, 2014
    Insidious: Chapter 2 es una película con un argumento interesante que explora conceptos poco usados en el cine y los convierte en una buena película de terror.
  22. Jun 12, 2014
    First of all, I DARE YOU TO WATCH THIS FILM BY YOURSELF IN THE DARK!!! Survive that and your critique would be taken seriously. lol. Whoever said that this movie is a disappointment, cannot deny experiencing some flinch-in-fear moments, that they aren't proud of. lol. C'mon you've gotta admit that this film was pretty good, as far as scary movies go. I mean, if you search for the topFirst of all, I DARE YOU TO WATCH THIS FILM BY YOURSELF IN THE DARK!!! Survive that and your critique would be taken seriously. lol. Whoever said that this movie is a disappointment, cannot deny experiencing some flinch-in-fear moments, that they aren't proud of. lol. C'mon you've gotta admit that this film was pretty good, as far as scary movies go. I mean, if you search for the top scariest movies, you'll come across old "not really scary anymore" scary films with bad special effects. Expand
  23. Dec 20, 2013
    A satisfying horror sequel from the director of 'Saw'. As a second installment to 'Insidious', it went deeper into the behind story of a character of the movie. Yeah, the first one was told about a boy's special talent astral projection where he can travel to another world in his sleep. I considered that was the movie's advantage but comparing to this, they just implemented the same ideaA satisfying horror sequel from the director of 'Saw'. As a second installment to 'Insidious', it went deeper into the behind story of a character of the movie. Yeah, the first one was told about a boy's special talent astral projection where he can travel to another world in his sleep. I considered that was the movie's advantage but comparing to this, they just implemented the same idea with neglecting the boy. In this movie it describes more about the father's perspective of the story without held back the much required secret for the twist at the end.

It opens with a story that set in 1986 where Josh as a kid is haunted by the souls of dead. Soon the story commence on present time where the Lambert family begins to feel again the presence of evil forces in their house. A team of spiritual medium begins their part to expose and free the family from dark forces. I thought the spiritual medium characters Elise and Carl is imitating the dwarf woman and an Indian characters from 'Poltergeist' movie series. I can say director was a clever, he just put away the usual ingredients of the horror genre and added different flavours like time travel and psychology.

For adults, most of the horror movies won't scary but watching during night will give more effective. So it a such movie you should try at a dark time for your own advantage to extract from it a better entertainment. I liked the first movie and this one is not far behind with the quality that all horror movie must have. So felt it is a decent follow up with a flashback story.
  24. Jan 7, 2015
    How rare is it that a sequel is better than the classic hit it's based on? Pretty rare, but Insidious 2 gets everything right and even enhances the original, which is just what a good sequel needs to do. It explains just about every single thing that's happened and why, which is a definite plus for this kind of stylistic movie. The secondary antagonist from movie 1 becomes the primary inHow rare is it that a sequel is better than the classic hit it's based on? Pretty rare, but Insidious 2 gets everything right and even enhances the original, which is just what a good sequel needs to do. It explains just about every single thing that's happened and why, which is a definite plus for this kind of stylistic movie. The secondary antagonist from movie 1 becomes the primary in this follow up, which isn't surprising, but watching it happen was freaking awesome. Not many movies can hold your interest like this one and its predecessor. Expand
  25. Mar 18, 2014
    A less scary but a well pulled off sequel to one of the best horror movies of the decayed. A expansion in a rich story, excellent script and a all round out standing performance. Something not so easily pulled off in horror movie sequels. Worth your time and money can't wait for another!
  26. Sep 21, 2013
    Never seeing the first installment, I was able to understand this second installment without watching the first. This movie to me felt like a mixture of The Sixth Sense and The Others. This installment goes into detail and explains what happened in the first chapter and why it was happening. Throughout the movie you never loosen up because there is always something that has you inNever seeing the first installment, I was able to understand this second installment without watching the first. This movie to me felt like a mixture of The Sixth Sense and The Others. This installment goes into detail and explains what happened in the first chapter and why it was happening. Throughout the movie you never loosen up because there is always something that has you in suspense. In my opinion the make up effects could have been more scarier. It doesn't contain any gruesome killing, foul language, or nudity which I know some parents may want to know before letting their kids watch it. Expand
  27. Sep 28, 2013
    I'm a really big fan of James Wan and the first Insidious. I thought it was one of the best horror films to come out in the past decade, so needless to say I had really high expectations for Chapter 2, but to be honest, I came out kind of disappointed. It wasn't a bad movie at all, it just wasn't anything special. And seeing this after The Conjuring (which took the first Insidious' placeI'm a really big fan of James Wan and the first Insidious. I thought it was one of the best horror films to come out in the past decade, so needless to say I had really high expectations for Chapter 2, but to be honest, I came out kind of disappointed. It wasn't a bad movie at all, it just wasn't anything special. And seeing this after The Conjuring (which took the first Insidious' place as my favorite scary flick of this decade or so), just made me feel very underwhelmed. It felt a lot more like a thriller than it did a horror movie. Theres wrong with that, but its not what I was expecting. The acting is just as good as it was in the first, but the actual film wasn't as suspenseful or scary as I was hoping. And cheap jump scares don't make a movie scary. Expand
  28. Feb 10, 2014
    One of the best horror sequels, if not the best horror sequel ever and one of the main reasons for that is because unlike most horror sequels it is original and scary.
    Another good thing about this film is that it ropes you in at the beginning by picking up from were the first one left off and throughout the film it explains a lot about the first one, for example it explains why the ghostly old woman decided to haunt Josh.
    Like the first one this film focuses on the Lambert family, who are now trying to find out who or what killed Elise (Lin Shaye.) And they also soon find out that the ghosts that were haunting them in the first film aren't done with them yet.
    But even though at first the film builds up suspense and gets more scary at a very fast pace, towards the last half hourthe film goes a bit downhill and tries to focus more on action than on horror, which I thought wasn't a very good idea. Another bad thing about the last half hour is that at times it got a bit confusing and a bit hard to follow.
    I think my favourite part in the film is when Lorraine (Barbara Hershey), Specs (Leigh Whannell), Tucker (Angus Sampson) and Elise's friend, Carl (Steve Coulter) are trying to find out more about the old woman thatis haunting Josh and they go to her old address where she lived when she was a child. I like this scene because it keeps you on the edge of your seat with a mixture of action, horror and suspense. I thought it was particularly suspense-filled in one bit were Specs and Tucker find a mysterious little girl in one of the bedrooms.
    I would recommend this film to people who liked the first Insidious and to people who like horrors that will make you jump out of your skin. And I would give this film an 8 out of 10. And if you asked me to choose between Insidious and Insidious 2, I don't think I would be able to choose, they're both as good as eachother.
  29. Feb 11, 2014
    Insidious: Chapter 2 is a direct follow up to the first one. If you haven't seen the first I strongly recommend you see the first before you watch this one. Insidious 2 follows up directly after the end of the first movie. It starts with same tone the first one ended with so I was instantly intrigued by it. I am also a massive fan of the first one so my expectations were pretty high goingInsidious: Chapter 2 is a direct follow up to the first one. If you haven't seen the first I strongly recommend you see the first before you watch this one. Insidious 2 follows up directly after the end of the first movie. It starts with same tone the first one ended with so I was instantly intrigued by it. I am also a massive fan of the first one so my expectations were pretty high going in. I was not disappointed with this at all. This was a very similar style to the original and still had all the elements that made the first one so ground-breaking. For a horror movie, the story is incredibly interesting, something the first movie didn't quite have. It was directed by James Wan, who is now an established director, especially for horror with movies like The Conjuring, Saw and Insidious. James Wan is fantastic at building suspense and using it at the right times to scare the audience. The performances are great in the film as well, especially from Patrick Wilson . His performance in certain parts of the movie reminded me of Jack Nicholson in The Shining. Rose Byrne was also pretty decent but this was Patrick Wilson's movie. I also really liked the way James Wan films his scares and suspense scenes. His style is very unique and extremely effective. He uses a lot of make-up and practical effects rather than CGI which I enjoyed as well.
    Final Score
    Acting-7/10-- Patrick Wilson is really good, but it is a horror movie so nothing major
    Practical Effects-8.25/10-- Make up in the movie was really good
    Script--7.75/10--The script is very clever and doesn't follow typical horror movie formulae.
    Overall Score
    Insidious:Chapter 2--7.7/10-- A very solid horror movie, especially for a sequel can't wait for a third instalment.
  30. Mar 21, 2014
    It's a good film but the scares are not quite there with this one. It falls behind the first movie but only just. If you like the first film and want more, you'll get exactly what it says on the tin.
  31. Aug 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. James Wan and Leigh Whannell's story picks up right at the end of the first film. puts you right back into the thrilling action, with the same atmosphere and feel, they both write more in depth on the same characters and how they stretch this Further aspect, I love it!!! Again the cinematographers and editors are amazing. Specs and Tucker are my new favourite characters... also like the back story on Parker Crane. Expand
  32. Nov 1, 2014
    This was a lot different than the first Insidious, but I liked it. The atmosphere was there as well as the creepy cinematography. The story was more interesting in the second chapter than the first; however, I felt the first chapter was scarier. This one does have its moments, though. i also really loved how it tied in with the first one. I wasn't expected that at all. Chapter 2 didn't wowThis was a lot different than the first Insidious, but I liked it. The atmosphere was there as well as the creepy cinematography. The story was more interesting in the second chapter than the first; however, I felt the first chapter was scarier. This one does have its moments, though. i also really loved how it tied in with the first one. I wasn't expected that at all. Chapter 2 didn't wow me like Chapter 1 did, but I still enjoyed it, Expand
  33. Jun 26, 2015
    Not quite as scary as the first, but a much better film in my opinion. I loved the whole backstory with Parker Crane/ Bride in Black and his mother. I was scared and intrigued at the same time

1. Reviewed by: Sara Stewart
    Sep 30, 2013
    At the start of Insidious 2, a young woman opens her mouth to speak and someone else’s voice comes out of her. Demonic possession? Nope, just some inexplicable dubbing to kick off this clunker of a horror sequel.
  2. Reviewed by: Jesse Hassenger
    Sep 19, 2013
    The techniques of the movie, then, are sound. Wan still moves his camera and composes his shots with a patience that belies his dank Saw origins. But the cinematography isn’t as virtuosic this time around.
  3. Reviewed by: Nick Schager
    Sep 17, 2013
    Insidious Chapter 2 picks up where its predecessor left off-- in abject silliness.