5.5

1. SaerA.
    Feb 24, 2004
    This is the funniest movie ever.
  2. VivianD.
    Mar 19, 2004
    A major disappointment. The Coen Brothers make strange, smart films that show us our world slightly inverted. Intolerable Cruelty is occasionally hilarious and George Clooney gets to display his underappreciated comic gifts. But the film lacks the mad creative zest that pulses through the rest of the Coens' work. We'll just have to wait for the next one.
  3. PatG.
    Oct 11, 2003
    Very funny in parts. Always nice to watch the gorgeous Catherine and George. (Has anyone else noticed that she has man hands?! A small price to pay for that face, I guess.) The ending is lame, and the depiction of the old man is in pretty poor taste. But it is a mostly entertaining two hours.
  4. StephenS.
    Oct 30, 2003
    If you?re a big Coen Bros fan, be vewy, vewy afwaid. After a return to form in The Man Who Wasn?t There, this one makes Fargo look like the masterpiece it never was. In trying to accommodate three different films, Intolerable Cruelty ends up in no-man?s land. There is the (increasingly numbing) homage to Hollywood greats, plus the Coen signature movie, plus an insipid nod (two happy If you?re a big Coen Bros fan, be vewy, vewy afwaid. After a return to form in The Man Who Wasn?t There, this one makes Fargo look like the masterpiece it never was. In trying to accommodate three different films, Intolerable Cruelty ends up in no-man?s land. There is the (increasingly numbing) homage to Hollywood greats, plus the Coen signature movie, plus an insipid nod (two happy endings) to commercialism. Apparently, the concept of the gold-digging Marylin (Catherine Zeta-Jones) hunting the ultimate divorce payout is several years old, long predating the recent sideswipe at Catherine from Michael?s first wife. It should have stayed in the vault. There are delightful Coen gags, notably in divorce lawyer Miles?s (George Clooney) tiptoe hunt through the mansion for Marylin?s would-be assassin. Other unmistakably Coen elements fall flat, with too many unamusing showings from Miles?s disgusting colostomy-bagged legal paterfamilias. Clooney eats up the quick-fire repartee he?s given, but these sequences sound ponderously studied from other movies. This is the first Coen collaboration that almost discards the brothers? visual flair and forgets to capture the audience. It?s too easy for whiskery George to steal the show. Expand
  5. AllanT.
    Mar 23, 2004
    I got the feeling that the Coen Brothers were trying to do something out of the the ordinary.When the Coen Brothers try to do something out of the ordinary, it comes across as extremely ordinary.
  6. Lara
    Oct 24, 2003
    It was pretty good as far as contemporary movies go, but I'm surprised at how many people found the dialogue snappy and witty. I thought it was sorta lackluster, and way too plodding for this kind of movie. In those old screwball comedies the actors talk so fast, and the plot twists get so improbable, that you barely have time to think. Here there was plenty of breathing space for It was pretty good as far as contemporary movies go, but I'm surprised at how many people found the dialogue snappy and witty. I thought it was sorta lackluster, and way too plodding for this kind of movie. In those old screwball comedies the actors talk so fast, and the plot twists get so improbable, that you barely have time to think. Here there was plenty of breathing space for you to sort out in your head where it was going before it got there, so that there weren't many fun surprises. Expand
  7. Mar 8, 2011
    It is safe to say that this film is not what I expected at all but it did have some elements that make it worthy of having a higher end score; those being George Clooney showing his comedic side and the addition of Catherine Zeta Jones. I would perhaps rate it slightly higher if I didn't get distracted half way though.

1. Reviewed by: Jean Oppenheimer
    The Coen brothers had a golden opportunity to make a darkly humorous, deliciously clever battle of the sexes, and they let it slip through their fingers. Instead, the duo... settled for a broad farce that is long on manic, cartoonish behavior and short on intelligence and wit.
  2. Reviewed by: David Rooney
    A thoroughly entertaining comedy about love, lawyers and fat divorce settlements. While a slight imbalance in the romantic formula stops it just short of truly soaring, the crackling dialogue and buoyant wordplay make this a delightful throwback to classic screwball comedies.
  3. Zeta-Jones is merely ravishing, but Clooney owns the film. Ordinarily best at sardonic, man's-man confidence, he strides through Intolerable Cruelty with fantastic screwball zest. To see Clooney tenderize, season, grill, and serve this ham hock of a role is to see an old-fashioned virtuoso in perpetual motion.