Paramount Pictures | Release Date: May 7, 2010
6.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 935 Ratings
WATCH NOW
EpicLadySpongeJan 16, 2016
I thought this sequel worked just fine for Iron Man. However, it's not as great as the original anyways, but who really cares about that? Just plain action as you people really wanted.
TheQuietGamerMar 9, 2011
After the first Iron Man movie I was expecting a great sequel, but this fell short because they tried to add to much drama (think Spider-Man 3) and took out a lot of the humor and action that made the first one pop, while the first one wasAfter the first Iron Man movie I was expecting a great sequel, but this fell short because they tried to add to much drama (think Spider-Man 3) and took out a lot of the humor and action that made the first one pop, while the first one was awesome this one was just ok. Expand
MovieGuysSep 20, 2013
Mickey Rourke makes for an okay antagonist to the story, but doesn't seem to pull it off all the way. Unlike the first one, Iron Man 2 is more depressing and dark, and this takes away from it. It's less fun than its predecessor.
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
Doesn't even flick a booger in the direction of the first film, but it still remains a pretty entertaining action bout.
csw12Mar 30, 2012
Okay Iron Man 2 is better than the first because the new actors but yet again there isn't much action and when there it is it sucks. More stupidy throughout the film. But hey its an improvement from the first.
grandpajoe6191Sep 15, 2011
With a baffling story and really unnecessary humor, Marvel's "Iron man 2" doesn't seem to have the prominent blockbuster spirit its prequel contained.
cameronmorewoodNov 7, 2012
This sequel has everything it's predecessor did, but the dialogue doesn't flow and the action isn't exciting. Sequels of this genre need to bring new ideas and visual brilliance to the screen. Iron Man II had neither.
imthenoobJan 24, 2012
I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed the first film. I thought it did a good job at cameos as well (building towards the Avengers film). The acting and the action was solid as well. It was just a little too corny and generic for my taste. Also II enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed the first film. I thought it did a good job at cameos as well (building towards the Avengers film). The acting and the action was solid as well. It was just a little too corny and generic for my taste. Also I did not like the main villian in the film, Im sure there could have been a better one for them to pick. Expand
marcmyworksNov 27, 2013
A not bad/not-great sequel to the original Iron Man. The fault lies in the films inability to stand on its own and instead becomes the prologue to "The Avengers"
ZilcellMay 11, 2012
I find that Iron Man 2 is just as good as the first. Robert Downey Jr. gives another great performance, the story is plentyful, and the action is brilliant.
FranzHcriticNov 10, 2013
Rather a dull, mundane superhero sequel to an extraordinary action film. It has some of those moments that shine in its predecessor, mostly due to the charisma of Downey Jr., but the whole film is uninteresting and Downey is the only thingRather a dull, mundane superhero sequel to an extraordinary action film. It has some of those moments that shine in its predecessor, mostly due to the charisma of Downey Jr., but the whole film is uninteresting and Downey is the only thing that builds interest. Shame, was a good movie, its predecessor was. Expand
oxanaAug 24, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie possesses many of the same elements as the first movie, but it wasn't as "calm and collected"; the scenes seemed sometimes unrelated without an actual thread to tie them firmly together. Don't get me wrong, it isn't as bad as it sounds, and I'm sure viewing the movie again will make it seem different.

And believe me, if you'll like this one, you'll want to see it again. Soon.

I had very high expectations, perhaps because "Iron Man" was and is one of my all-time favorites. I was disappointed that Rhodey's actor had been changed, but I like Don Cheadle and he did really well. He had a bigger part to play in this movie than the first one, for sure.

Same cannot be said for everyone else. The character played by Scarlett Johansson was one of the weakest, and not because of her acting, but because of the script. She just didn't have any real point being there, and many of the characters seemed to drown into the mass of events that took place around them.

Many elements, alongside Johansson's character, were very quickly introduced. Nick Fury and the involvement of S.H.I.E.L.D. were all based on the quick piece at the end of the first movie (has everyone seen it?), and it seemed a bit too much to ask to immediately bring them in without explanations.

Other than that, I must say I liked the movie. Robert Downey Jr. was brilliant, Tony Stark even edgier, more erratic than ever, struggling with multiple difficulties at once (SPOILERS: USA government wanting his armor, old family "colleague" wanting revenge, his blood poisoned by the very thing keeping him alive, and a rival company wanting him out of the game for good /SPOILERS).

There were several insanely funny scenes, not to mention plenty of cracks at the comics, of which some were lost to me since I'm not overly familiar with them. All the action looked good, although there was a bit too much going on on the screen at places.

Either way, this movie shall go to my favorites, and no doubt stick there.

Ps. there is once again a little treat waiting at the end of the credits.
MovieLonely94Nov 1, 2010
Jon Favreau has done it again!
worleyjamersDec 8, 2012
Another great action, superhero movie. Definitely not as good as the first, but I still absolutely loved it. Robert Downey Jr. is great, and Gwyneth Paltrow is again, perfect. The addition of Scarlet Johansson was very nice as well.
TheApplegnomeJul 29, 2014
It might not be as awesome as the previous installment of Iron Man, but it's still entertaining to watch.

The things that really impress me is the great CGI, the opening scene, the music and the great action of Tony Stark's Iron Man. The movie truly is entertaining and cool to watch, even though there might have been a little to much (and boring) conversations between the actors, and that the amount of action was lower than the in the first Iron Man film. Iron Man 2 also felt more unserious than the previous movie.

Not as entertaining as the first Iron Man, but it's great to watch!

Iron Man 2 gets a 8/10
StevenFFeb 15, 2013
There have been three films that I have seen in the cinema where I have left after the credits, not quite sure what to think of what i had just seen, not necessarily a bad film, but one which I just wasn't sure I enjoyed to the extent IThere have been three films that I have seen in the cinema where I have left after the credits, not quite sure what to think of what i had just seen, not necessarily a bad film, but one which I just wasn't sure I enjoyed to the extent I thought I was going to, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Quantum of Solace, and now Iron Man 2.
This was a big film, it had big ideas, and don't get me wrong, it delivered..but only to an extent.
Picking up after the revelation of the first instalment, life goes on for Tony Stark, he has re-opened his fathers brainchild of Stark Expo, hoping to change direction away from weapons of mass destruction.
Short-lived, in another world away sits Ivan Vanko, son of Anton Vanko, the man who drew up plans with Tony's father in regards to the expo.
Back at home, Tony has to deal with his own government requesting that he hand over the Iron Man armour, but increasing health issues concerning his failure to find a substitute for the palladium he used to save his life has spawned reckless behaviour on Tony' part.
What was surprising about this film was its failure to zero in and develop on the ideas at hand, Stark was basically dying in this feature, but this was brushed over with a few scenes Nick Fury and a cringe-worthy dance and drink in the Iron Man suit. On the subject of Nick Fury, there was a silly amount of characters in this film, all with under-developed stories that never led anywhere, Sam Rockwell also appears in this as a rival to Tony Stark, but he was just annoying and slightly orange. There was perhaps too much of a S.H.I.E.L.D presence that took over the movie. They had to play their part, but this wasn't a good movie with them in it, this was a moderately decent film until they were in it.
Downey Jr did shine as usual, he has embraced his role to the point of belief that he could be Tony Stark, perhaps his best was shown in this film as it was quite an emotional journey, but with Iron Man himself only appearing a very small amount in this film, it didn't justify the over-abundance of characters and the messy and very anti-climatic ending, this could have been so much better on multiple levels, and unfortunately didn't deliver compared to the first effort.
Bruce722May 24, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was nowhere near as good as the first one. First of all, I hate when they replace main characters in movies. I understand that it's not necessarily the fault of the film but replacing Terrance Howard with Don Cheadle affects the feel of the movie; similar to when they replaced Katie Holmes with Maggie Gylenhaul in Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy. Also, a technology that was pushed to be so incredible and impossible to replicate in the first installment is thrown around in this movie like if it's no more rare than an std. Lastly, similar to the first film, there were some huge plot holes. If a villain's weapons are a sort of lasso, wouldn't common sense tell you to just fire on him from outside of the lasso range? I would certainly think a genius like Tony Stark would be able to figure that out. Also, if you access the main computer and can reset the War Machine, why couldn't you also reset the others? Nonetheless, Robert Downey Jr. once again proves to be a top notch actor in Hollywood and the movie's transition to the "Avengers" adds some excitement to an otherwise quick and overrated ending. Still, I was a little disappointed. Expand
homer4presidentMar 13, 2015
Robert Downey Jr. personifies his role as Iron Man; his dry humor, his one liners, his ability to handle fan fare, and an ego the size of Antarctica. Despite the reviews, I liked seeing Sam Rockwell in this too, I thought he made a goodRobert Downey Jr. personifies his role as Iron Man; his dry humor, his one liners, his ability to handle fan fare, and an ego the size of Antarctica. Despite the reviews, I liked seeing Sam Rockwell in this too, I thought he made a good rival. This is not a straight superhero/supervillain fight to the death kind of movie; there is a lot of dialogue and plot that helps lead to the Avengers. I enjoyed it though, and I think you will too. Expand
Movie1997May 1, 2013
It's not as fun and exciting like the first Iron Man movie, but it tends to still be a decent sequel. The first 45-50 minutes of the movie are just fun and exciting. It really relates to the first Iron Man movie. But then you reach the middleIt's not as fun and exciting like the first Iron Man movie, but it tends to still be a decent sequel. The first 45-50 minutes of the movie are just fun and exciting. It really relates to the first Iron Man movie. But then you reach the middle of the movie where the story starts to progressively slow down a lot. That's when it really feels like your watching a drunk version of the first Iron Man movie. The middle really sags unlike the first 45-50 minutes. It just "in a sense" drops. Near the end, it tends to kick it back into gear. As far as characters, Tony is still as enjoyable as the first movie. The actors are still about average. Except for Ivan Vanko (Mickey Rourke). He was incredible at the beginning of the movie, but (just like the storyline) it starts to become progressively slow and boring once he meets Hammer (Sam Rockwell). I wish Vanko could have been in the movie much longer and be bad-a** throughout and not just in the beginning and the end of the movie. Overall, with it's progressive slowness during the middle, in the end, it still turns out to be a decent sequel. Expand
diogomendesOct 25, 2014
Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Analysis: Iron Man 2 (2010)

Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Analysis: Iron Man 2 (2010)

With "Iron Man" earning its marks for its success, it doesn't come by surprise that the continuation tries to be just like most sequels -- Which means it's bigger, bolder and filled with new characters and story arcs. What if I say that "Iron Man 2" doesn't quite live up to its predecessor's intelligence, but it still manages to be a rock, solid installment in the franchise? A lot of things work here but they are no match to other MCU movies. This, along with "Thor: The Dark World", is one of the most inferior MCU films to date, which is not saying much because they're still fine on their own. And even if I was a little bit disappointed with this one, I reckon that it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

With the world now aware of his dual life as the armored superhero Iron Man, billionaire inventor Tony Stark faces pressure from the government, the press, and the public to share his technology with the military. Unwilling to let go of his invention, Stark, along with Pepper Potts, and James "Rhodey" Rhodes at his side, must forge new alliances - and confront powerful enemies.

The performances from the returned cast and new actors stay stable. Robert Downey Jr is, once again, fantastic. His character, Tony Stark, is the same eccentric, irresponsible and energized man that he was in the first movie. Robert practically is Tony Stark. Gwyneth Paltrow also returns as Pepper Potts and new characters such as Black Widow, Whiplash, Agent Coulson and Justin Hammer appear. But only Black Widow and Nick Fury are going to be very important in this large universe. One performance I really liked it was from Sam Rockwell, yeah that guy is awesome. I saw him in Matchstick Men, which was a pretty good movie. He basically supports the movie, by delivering fun dialogue. And what about Mickey Rourke? Well, he looks menacing and he also helps the movie overcome its flaws. The movie should have dug his story a little more, though. Because the character didn’t seem to have much depth or complexity.

The plot also adds action sequences, and they are better than the first movie. We go from a racetrack battle in Monaco to a sexy Russian spy defeating dozens of officers in a building. And I gotta say, not only is Scarlett Johansson hot and charming, but she’s also athletic and packs a wallop. The final battle really disappointed me because I was expecting an intense and exciting fight between Ivan and Tony, and I only got a 1 minute battle. *sighs* Oh well…

Things start getting too goofy in the movie when Tony organizes a party and starts pissing in his pants. Or when he starts yelling at the guests only to frighten them. Super-heroes are goofy in general but I don’t think they could get this silly. It’s this ridiculousness that tears the film apart and I feel disappointed because this movie deserved to be so much better than its predecessor. As I am doing a MCU marathon, I would love to see this movie have some references and easter eggs (it has some though) to enlarge my excitement for The Avengers, but the movie kinda comes up with its own story, unfortunately. The best thing related to MCU that really excited me was the post-credits scene, where we see Mjölnir, Thor’s hammer and then we see a lightning bolt sound effect in the background as the movie ends. AND that’s the next movie I’m going to review!

Final Score to Iron Man 2: 6.5/10. I had to lower my score because this sequel is a bit disappointing. Its occasionally thin plot sometimes feels weird but ultimately, the film is saved by fine performances (mostly from its main lead) and some pulpy action. Next movie to review: The Mighty God of Thunder! Thor (2011)
axelkochMar 16, 2013
Against my expectance, this movie marks as the seldom case, in which the sequel is just as good as the original. Iron Man 2 is funnier, louder and provides a lot more explosions. Nevertheless, Jon Favreau doesn't leave good performances and aAgainst my expectance, this movie marks as the seldom case, in which the sequel is just as good as the original. Iron Man 2 is funnier, louder and provides a lot more explosions. Nevertheless, Jon Favreau doesn't leave good performances and a proper screenplay out. Additionally, the technics and the FXs are great, which helped the movie to become as awesome as it is. My critic point is that too many things in this film are unrealistic and as in Iron Man, there are a lot of so-called “Cinema Sins” like stupid dialogues, obvious goofs or simply illogicality. That is quite an issue, but doesn't prevent this movie from being an even better superhero-movie than the original. Expand
OfficialNov 4, 2013
"Iron Man 2" is not as good as the first, but it's still worth watching. Robert Downey Jr. returns as Iron Man and does a great job portraying him. The visuals and the CGI are still brilliant but the problem with "Iron Man 2" is the script.
BrandonBonaseraNov 11, 2011
Iron Man 2 is well acted, but is quite boring. This action scenes were uneventful, the fight scenes were short, but the humor was good though. I was disappointed, it could have had more stuff in it.
FuturedirectorMar 23, 2016
Well, Iron man is back, with nothing interesting to show, with dull story-telling, not really action-packed but not as romantic as the first one, at least. This film with unremarkable characters and a very simple plot it's not the best andWell, Iron man is back, with nothing interesting to show, with dull story-telling, not really action-packed but not as romantic as the first one, at least. This film with unremarkable characters and a very simple plot it's not the best and neither the worst of marvel universe. Expand
RayzorMooseNov 17, 2013
Iron Man 2 is a junkyard.
Iron Man 2 is a junkyard.
The movie takes off where its prequel left off, an explosive beginning with intriguing storyline behind a possibly great villain. Then after nearly no storyline or explanation for most of the following events, the movie finally finishes with a drawn out fight scene. The entertainment is barely there, and the elements that were the keys to success for the original aren't apparent.
aadityamudharApr 17, 2016
MegWhiteleyMar 7, 2012
This second part of Iron Man have great things: 1) The Cast,2) Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, 3) War Machine ,4) Black Widow, but the biggest problem, is that is not like the first part. Is some tired. But is a great film.
MrMovieBuffSep 30, 2016
Robert Downey Jr. is back as the legendary weapons designer, Tony Stark, in 'Iron Man 2'. Once again directed by Jon Favreau, 'Iron Man 2' takes a look at Tony's life since he announced himself as Iron Man to the public. He has gained moreRobert Downey Jr. is back as the legendary weapons designer, Tony Stark, in 'Iron Man 2'. Once again directed by Jon Favreau, 'Iron Man 2' takes a look at Tony's life since he announced himself as Iron Man to the public. He has gained more publicity than before and it seems that the government are concerned about whether or not he can protect the country and want his suits.

Meanwhile, we see that somebody has the ability to figure out his technology given their history with Stark Industries. Ivan Vanko (Mickey Rourke) plans to track Stark down and vows revenge on what his father, Howard Stark (John Slattery), did to Vanko's father.

Also with us is Justin Hammer (Sam Rockwell), who also plans on making Tony Stark look like a fool in front of the world, and it seems that the only person that can help him do that is Vanko, so they team up and create weapon/armors that are sure to make Stark look bad and pale in comparison.

We are also introduced to Agent Natasha Romanoff (Scarlett Johansson), whose main role, I believe, was to set up an upcoming "Avengers" film that Marvel clearly had planned, but things must have been moving slowly in regards to getting all the characters cast and a story written, that they decided to fill the void with a second "Iron Man" film that is pretty much a huge tease to "The Avengers".

That's the main issue with this film, this is a mostly mediocre sequel still filled with quirky moments we come to love about these characters, but the movie doesn't know what it should focus on. The main priority is to build up "The Avengers", and in contrast, we forget all about Rourke's villain, Vanko, because that is just clearly used for the sake of making an action movie. The action can still be dazzling, but there's not enough of it. This is a very lightweight movie, spending time on characters figuring out certain things and building up to something big, and then the final climax is somewhat underwhelming.

'Iron Man 2' is not as good as the first, but it's not a bad movie either... it's a film that I believe Jon Favreau had a tough time trying to make a convincing villain, while at the same time, build up future movies at the expense of making a memorable, threatening enemy for our title character.

You watch the movie for Downey... but don't expect it to be 'The Dark Knight' (2008) of "Iron Man" films.
Iky009Jan 6, 2014
Ficou muito abaixo do primeiro mais divertido.Ficou muito abaixo do primeiro mais divertido. Expand
spadenxJan 4, 2012
The biggest flaw of the film is how they pause the action just to show you upgrades to the suit. It was interesting to see what was so different about each suit but to do it right in the middle of a fight takes away all the excitement of theThe biggest flaw of the film is how they pause the action just to show you upgrades to the suit. It was interesting to see what was so different about each suit but to do it right in the middle of a fight takes away all the excitement of the fight that is happening. I didnt mind the plot either but it could have been a lot more interesting and it could have taken a lot less time to explain.

I did like how it featured a lot of interesting action through out. I liked the addition of Don Cheadle (as Terrance Howard's replacement) and Robert Downey Jr gave a great performance as well. I suprisingly liked it a lot more then the first film.
MasterRileyDec 20, 2016
Iron Man 2 isn't nearly as good as the original, but it is still a fun and entertaining watch. In terms of the writing and characters it is not as intriguing but is still an enjoyable action flick.
FreedomFightersNov 24, 2016
After the first "Iron Man" film completely wowed audiences and ended up being one of 2008's best films, the sequel almost had nowhere to go but down, and unfortunately, it did. That said, while the sequel isn't as good as the first, "Iron ManAfter the first "Iron Man" film completely wowed audiences and ended up being one of 2008's best films, the sequel almost had nowhere to go but down, and unfortunately, it did. That said, while the sequel isn't as good as the first, "Iron Man 2" is still an extremely entertaining adventure overall. Even if the writing is a bit weaker than the first film, "Iron Man 2" benefits greatly from Robert Downey Jr.'s electric performance, an array of fine performances from his supporting cast, some solid visuals and impressive action overall. Don't expect it to be groundbreaking, but "Iron Man 2" is certainly an exciting adventure that superhero fans should enjoy. Expand
MovieManiac83Apr 22, 2015
he first Iron Man arrived at cinemas an oddball underdog — it was, lest we forget, a minor-property superhero movie from the director of Zathura, starring Zodiac’s third lead — and blasted out a gold-and-red-plated megahit. Now, two years on,he first Iron Man arrived at cinemas an oddball underdog — it was, lest we forget, a minor-property superhero movie from the director of Zathura, starring Zodiac’s third lead — and blasted out a gold-and-red-plated megahit. Now, two years on, things have changed. Robert Downey Jr. is, for the first time in his 40-year career, a giant star, while Ol’ Shellhead’s steely visage is famous from Peru to Timbuktu. And here comes the sequel, hotly awaited as one of the year’s biggest releases, the second instalment of a metallurgy-based action franchise that’s sure to roll on and on. The Wrath Of Can, if you will.

Like the sequels to Stars Trek and Wars, Iron Man 2 is a tale of revenge. But, unlike those films, this is one of the breeziest blockbusters you’re likely to see. There’s potential for darkness here: when we meet Tony, he’s hiding from everyone the fact he’s being gradually poisoned by his suit; villain Ivan Vanko (Mickey Rourke) is hellbent on avenging perceived injustices done to his father; and Jim Rhodes (Don Cheadle) is considering betraying his pal by teaming with rival arms dealer Justin Hammer (Sam Rockwell). But Jon Favreau, it seems, didn’t want to make his Part Two a downer. He’s out to have fun, not only in front of the camera (his chauffeur character, Happy Hogan, has been bumped up from cameo to supporting role, helping out Tony in two action scenes and getting pinned between Scarlett Johansson’s legs) but behind it too, focusing on gyrating cheerleaders and gleaming tech over inner turmoil.

Not that there’s anything wrong with fun, of course, especially in a film about a millionaire with a magic flying suit. It’s just a shame it rarely feels there’s much to threaten Tony Stark’s perfect world. In the movie’s stand-out sequence, Vanko launches an assault on his nemesis at the Monaco Grand Prix, twirling twin whips that fizz with megavoltage electricity. As he effortlessly slices up oncoming cars and advances, cackling, on a suitless and scared Stark, it actually feels like there’s something at stake, that our hero has met his Waterloo. It’s a feeling that’s sadly absent from the rest of the runtime.

Maybe it’s the fact that two of cinema’s most charismatic, weathered actors perform their most dramatic moments with faces cloaked by metal. The climax is a particular disappointment, a beefed-up re-run of the last film’s final reel, in which featureless metal men thump each other until one falls over.

Rourke and Rockwell make satisfying, complementary villains, while Downey Jr. delivers again. Shame this sequel feels inessential, over-busy and a little, well, mechanical. Nothing they can’t put right for Iron Man 3.
ryancarroll88Aug 27, 2010
It's easy to write off "Iron Man 2" as easy enjoyment, but let's look at what we have here: Mickey Rourke plays the blandest Russian villain imaginable; Robert Downey Jr. pulls off the role of Tony Stark as well as last time, but theIt's easy to write off "Iron Man 2" as easy enjoyment, but let's look at what we have here: Mickey Rourke plays the blandest Russian villain imaginable; Robert Downey Jr. pulls off the role of Tony Stark as well as last time, but the bickering between him and Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper gets worn thin pretty quickly; Scarlett Johansson shows up supposedly to introduce romantic strain between Stark and Pepper, but it soon becomes apparent that she is more there for the audience to ogle at (which I did). Saddest of all, the most interesting part of the movie was the Avengers subplot, which in the end really has no influence in the realm of the movie. And the discovery of Thor's Hammer at the end of the closing credits reveals all - "Iron Man 2" really isn't much more than a mediary between the (deserved) hype of the first "Iron Man" and the hype of the upcoming "Thor" movie. And this is why no one likes a critic. But seriously, Scarlett Johansson is hot. Expand
gameguardian21Aug 8, 2016
Iron man 2 manages to keep the Iron man character still fun to watch, but it's storytelling is just flat. It's really just alot of talking thats not even interesting. Whiplash is a very weak villian, and apparently a stupid one to. When itIron man 2 manages to keep the Iron man character still fun to watch, but it's storytelling is just flat. It's really just alot of talking thats not even interesting. Whiplash is a very weak villian, and apparently a stupid one to. When it does come to action sequences, it's fun to watch, but it's so little that it just doesn't make the movie better though. Overall, I found it very disappointing. Expand
gm101Sep 15, 2010
I personally thought it was same old, same old. I didn't love Iron Man 1, but I still liked it. Same goes for this sequel. However, this movie did get me pumped for movies like Thor, Captain America, and the Avengers!
Forrestgump1Oct 9, 2010
"Iron Man 2 is one of the sequels that by far beats out its Predecessor .. I loved every second of this thrill to the min Extravaganza ,Robert Downy Jr. Was Brilliant as Tony Stark .. a MUST SEE for everyone!" .. A
A_NorthernerAug 11, 2012
Robert Downey's Iron Man returns after his first film outing two years previous, with director Jon Favreau again at the helm. As with Iron Man, Favreau delivers another fun ride and allows Downey to steal the show as Tony Stark. Downey'sRobert Downey's Iron Man returns after his first film outing two years previous, with director Jon Favreau again at the helm. As with Iron Man, Favreau delivers another fun ride and allows Downey to steal the show as Tony Stark. Downey's egotist, smarmy and arrogant but ultimately likeable Tony Stark is the film. Other characters are purely used for Downey to show off in front of, flirt with or talk over. In honesty, this becomes a little frustrating by the end of the film but it doesn't become a terminal problem because of the hidden weakness and humility Stark shows on occasions. Also, it makes a change for a superhero to be so public with his identity and arrogance.

Facing pressure from the US government on one side and the film's nemesis Whiplash on the other, Stark also struggles to cope with the ill effects of his power source and becomes isolated and irresponsible with his powers. The main antagonist is Whiplash, the son of a Russian inventor formerly employed by Stark Industries, who out of spite for the Stark family develops his own power source to rival Iron Man. The Russian factor brings about inevitably thin Cold War references but it is the idea that the US government sees Iron Man ans his technology as their property and does not wish to be dependent on Stark's alliance for protection that is the strongest plot string.

When given scenes without Downey present, the supporting characters are a mixed bunch. The introduction of Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow to the Marvel Universe is flat and the same can be said for Gywneth Paltrow, who is talked over by Downey for all of her lines. Don Cheadle plays Iron Man's sidekick James Rhodes (aka War Machine) complete with some Robin-esque cheesy lines ("Get a roof"). The positives come in the form of Mickey Rourke as Whiplash and Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer. Rockwell injects some brilliant humour to proceedings for when you've had your fill of Downey.

The action is evenly paced, although the action sequences towards the end of the film are a little robotic, literally, as Iron Man and War Machine take on Whiplash (in a similar suit) and his army of Iron Man suited drones.

Overall, perhaps not as fresh as the original but still a better than average entry to the Marvel catalogue.
ArkonBladeAug 21, 2010
the first iron man was really enjoyable the second one just fails to deliver . downy is still fun to wach as stark but thats about it . the plot doesnt seem near as entertaining as the first and it feels like theres even less action then thethe first iron man was really enjoyable the second one just fails to deliver . downy is still fun to wach as stark but thats about it . the plot doesnt seem near as entertaining as the first and it feels like theres even less action then the first and what action it has feels so ho hum it just doesnt grab you. the final battle especially basically just iron man running around for 10 min then the last 1 min is the final battle . it all felt so anticlimactic and just not very enjoyable . such a shame. Expand
bfoore90Mar 2, 2015
Good movie, sets up well after the first Iron Man. RDJ still seems like he was born to play the part, his sarcasm and arrogant wit totally make the movie worth. Gweneth Paltrow, despite me not liking her personally, seems to be coming more onGood movie, sets up well after the first Iron Man. RDJ still seems like he was born to play the part, his sarcasm and arrogant wit totally make the movie worth. Gweneth Paltrow, despite me not liking her personally, seems to be coming more on her own as Pepper Pots. I thought Don Cheadle replacing Terrance Howard as Rhodey seemed a bit awkward and he seemed out of place, kind of similar to Maggie Gyllenhaal replacing Katie Holmes in The Dark Knight. I felt Vanko/Whiplash had a lot of potential but seemed to take a backseat a bit to Justin Hammer by the movies end and I felt he was killed to easily. Rourke was great but by the time the movie was over, you felt as if his potential was wasted. Expand
JonnyFendiJan 11, 2011
There is something exciting every time we watch Iron Man. Complete action-packed, great characters interest, and interludes with effective humors. Tony Starks is an eccentric, self-centered (even sometimes looks childish) but geniusThere is something exciting every time we watch Iron Man. Complete action-packed, great characters interest, and interludes with effective humors. Tony Starks is an eccentric, self-centered (even sometimes looks childish) but genius multi-billionaire who builds Iron Man suit. Thiz time, he faced health issue and ready to confront another threads from his business rival, Justin Hammer (Sam Rockwell) and mysterious Whiplash (Mickey Rourke). In the first Iron Man two years ago, I said to everyone that Tony Starks was too humanist on the movie, that was wrong. Starks should be appears more **** to fill his original character (If you asked me thiz kind of stuff, well, comics was my world. I remembered my dad bought me first Iron Man issue from overseas). But on thiz sequel, Iron Man character really fills my expectations. Robert Downey Jr. acted amazingly well, continues his first exhilarating performance. The most powerful element in Iron Man movies is definitely Downey Jr. Mickey Rourke is our other attention after his Oscar-nominated THE WRESTLER (2008). He is playing save on his villain-character and it looked well. On the fight scene, Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow was surprisingly kick-ass. I did not know was the camera angle or the fight choreography which made it worked, but Johansson really left behind her girly image. Unfortunately, I do not like Nick Fury character (Samuel L. Jackson) which reconstructs from Fury original character. Other Casts were: Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, etc. The movie directed by an actor who luckily thrived on thiz franchise, Jon Favreau. Some of his Directing credits were ZATHURA: A SPACE ADVENTURE(2005) and the comedy ELF (2003). It is almost very difficult to say thiz movie is not a good one. Apparently it is an excellent and entertaining movie for everyone. Cannot wait for another Starks Expo!

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
mds03May 5, 2013
I was so bored when I went to see this at the movie theatre. It never really caught my interest or kept me entertained the whole time and the only really cool part was when Micky Rourke was attacking the race cars with his scorpion whips.I was so bored when I went to see this at the movie theatre. It never really caught my interest or kept me entertained the whole time and the only really cool part was when Micky Rourke was attacking the race cars with his scorpion whips. Other than the boredom of it, everything else was fine. The acting, dialogue, and the special effects are why I did not give it a 4. Expand
JohnMasterLAug 6, 2015
Iron Man 2 cuenta con un increíble reparto, con grandes actuaciones (Robert Downey Jr sigue siendo brillante y excelente) y unos excelentes efectos especiales. Pero a diferencia de su primera parte (que es de las mejores películas de superIron Man 2 cuenta con un increíble reparto, con grandes actuaciones (Robert Downey Jr sigue siendo brillante y excelente) y unos excelentes efectos especiales. Pero a diferencia de su primera parte (que es de las mejores películas de super héroes que eh visto) pierde ese toque de humor negro que se presentaba en su antecesora, ademas, las secuencias de acción no solo dejan mucho que desear, sino también hay muy pocas secuencias de acción, de hecho hay mas dialogo que acción en esta segunda parte. No es una mala película, pero sin duda deja mucho que desear. Expand
BarneyOnMTJan 5, 2016
WHAT I LIKE: After the success of their first Iron Man, Marvel rushed to make a sequel - and it shows. What's good? The action scenes are okay (especially the Monaco scene), as is the overall plot, and the same cast appear on point andWHAT I LIKE: After the success of their first Iron Man, Marvel rushed to make a sequel - and it shows. What's good? The action scenes are okay (especially the Monaco scene), as is the overall plot, and the same cast appear on point and excellent again.
WHAT I DON'T LIKE: This is a genuinely poor film on so many levels. The first act is forgettable and only really serves to logistically set up seeds for the rest of the movie. The second? You get to see Iron Man protrayed in an oddly comical and horribble way, it actually makes you angry... Act 3? A long, dull action scene unfolds with a distinct lack of humour where it's needed, plus a distinct lack of Terrence Howard. Really Marvel, you should have taken the time to get this one right.
VERDICT: A completely soleless and dull sequel to the fantastic 'Iron Man,' the second film does little to impress. Shame - the trailers looked rather promising.
MichaelDMay 28, 2011
I was a bit disappointed with the first movie and to be honest, I think this sequel is better. Great special effects and Mickey Rourke was fantastic as well as Robert Downey Jr. who was as energetic as always.
SeriosityDec 8, 2012
A massive disappointment after the brilliance of Iron Man. It is overstuffed and bloated. Seemingly satisfied with mediocrity. Not painful to watch, but lifeless and forgettable.
DarkCriticSep 28, 2010
Iron Man 2 is a very good superhero film. The action scenes are pretty awesome,the story gets very well,but for my letdown size is that it gets too much corky scenes and it has dumbest dialogues for getting over the top. Mickey Rourke was soIron Man 2 is a very good superhero film. The action scenes are pretty awesome,the story gets very well,but for my letdown size is that it gets too much corky scenes and it has dumbest dialogues for getting over the top. Mickey Rourke was so awesome as Whiplash,that will be my favorite villain in my top. Scarlett Johansson was awesome as Black Widow and she's kind of hot in the way,but far the hottest marvel chick ever! Don Cheadle did good,but the same person like Terrence Howard does,but I prefer Howard better. Robert Downey Jr. plays very good,but not much as good since the first one. I've just seen him every scene that gets more dumber and to be so stupid in the way and like I said it's more over the top and even gets weirder. So I really like this movie,but I heart times that I love is the first Iron Man movie that I always love to watch. But enjoy,not bad but in the good way. Expand
J-ShapAug 28, 2011
Iron Man 2 is a satisfactory sequel to a kick-ass comic book movie. It is nothing more than that: satisfactory. Some will call that a good thing, and some will call that a bad thing.
jeff_reviewsSep 22, 2013
"Iron Man 2" is able to continue its predecessor's wonderful visual effects, however, the writing feels a bit unstable. Many sub plots are not well executed, and ends up to being pointless to the film. Along with this thought, I often found"Iron Man 2" is able to continue its predecessor's wonderful visual effects, however, the writing feels a bit unstable. Many sub plots are not well executed, and ends up to being pointless to the film. Along with this thought, I often found myself annoyed by the protagonist, Tony Stark, and felt that the lessons learned in the original film felt off put in this sequel. While many things irked me in the film, the story isn't horribly crafted, and maintains a nicely put action-packed story. With a surprising finale that overpasses the middle section of pointless scenes, "Iron Man 3" manages to make it to an above average super hero film. Expand
EssenceOfSugarMar 13, 2012
Slightly boring, with not enough zing and character development like the first one. For an action film, there was too much explosions and fighting which substituted for the storylines - I couldn't even hear myself think. Also, I wasn't sureSlightly boring, with not enough zing and character development like the first one. For an action film, there was too much explosions and fighting which substituted for the storylines - I couldn't even hear myself think. Also, I wasn't sure who the villain was, and if he was who I thought he was, he didn't have much depth to his character. Although, I did love Scarlett Johansson, especially when she was kicking everyone's ass, and the fact that what was keeping Stark alive was also killing him, but his portrayal of a dying man was still unconvincing, seeing as he mainly acted arrogant, instead of his versatility of emotions in the previous film. In conclusion, this failed to live up to the promise of what could have been a good sequel. Expand
rotkuMay 6, 2012
Passable effort which lacks a real unstoppable super villain. Downey is excellent as usual and the movie works the storyline well to get Nick Fury involved. Lacking real action scenes until the final battle it concentrates on character andPassable effort which lacks a real unstoppable super villain. Downey is excellent as usual and the movie works the storyline well to get Nick Fury involved. Lacking real action scenes until the final battle it concentrates on character and storyline development so those expecting an action packed CGI dream may be disappointed. Expand
ReubenIsAGodApr 21, 2014
I really felt like something was lacking from Iron Man so when i heard about the sequel i was of, coarse, very skeptical. Iron man 2 is an enjoyable film, none the less, yet has so many flaws that kinda out way the positive, first the HumorI really felt like something was lacking from Iron Man so when i heard about the sequel i was of, coarse, very skeptical. Iron man 2 is an enjoyable film, none the less, yet has so many flaws that kinda out way the positive, first the Humor is funny, the action and fight scenes look amazing and spectacular and the acting is solid plus it hints at a future Avengers movie, yet despite all this the things that matter to me the most are just Terrible, the characters come of as annoying and i really didn't care what was happening i just wanted to see stuff blow up, the Villain in appalling and is very forgettable, the plot doesn't really have any focus and feels boring and slow at times also whilst Iron man had a really weak final act this one has an awesome astonishing final act yet the rest feels like pointlessness that really served no purpose.

Overall i wasn't really surprised that this sequel didn't live up to the good original film, yet, still i recommend siting down and watching the film cause it is pretty entertain when it wants to be.

SythusRATINGSOct 18, 2014
In Iron Man 2, the world is aware that billionaire inventor Tony Stark is the armored super hero, Iron Man. Under pressure from the government, the press and the public to share his technology with the military, Tony is unwilling to divulgeIn Iron Man 2, the world is aware that billionaire inventor Tony Stark is the armored super hero, Iron Man. Under pressure from the government, the press and the public to share his technology with the military, Tony is unwilling to divulge the secrets behind the Iron Man armor because he fears the information will slip into the wrong hands. With Pepper Potts and James "Rhodey" Rhodes at his side, Tony forges new alliances and confronts powerful new forces. Expand
UrbanlistenerApr 21, 2016
Definitely not the best Marvel film, this movie is convoluted, incoherent and messy. The good thing about it is of course RDJ's Iron man and also Don Cheadle's War machine. Except that, there is not much to the film, very generic, cliché andDefinitely not the best Marvel film, this movie is convoluted, incoherent and messy. The good thing about it is of course RDJ's Iron man and also Don Cheadle's War machine. Except that, there is not much to the film, very generic, cliché and tiresome. There's to much bad guys and sub plots to handle, so none of it is well written and developed enough. Its big CGI mess, with sparkle of good in it and a great performance by RDJ. A one-time watch Expand
nahtan1244Feb 24, 2016
I didn't like this movie. Sorry guys. It just din't work for me. Robert downey junior was trying so hard to save this movie from the catastrophe it was but he just couldn't The war machine was cool but after a very good first movie this oneI didn't like this movie. Sorry guys. It just din't work for me. Robert downey junior was trying so hard to save this movie from the catastrophe it was but he just couldn't The war machine was cool but after a very good first movie this one is laughably bad. The villain is a joke and the story this movie was given didn't do much for me. The scrip and most of the acting is way off from the first This movie just was not very good. The fight scene with war machine was good but that and Robert downy juniors performance cannot save this movie. I think this movie will go down as one of the most hated iron man sequls Expand
JohnKristoferDec 22, 2014
Most of us enjoyed watching the first film ,now most of you are excited to watch Iron Man 2 but after seeing it you're damn Unsatisfied and Disappointed.Iron Man 2 is not the sequel we wanted it to be,boring and Has weak Plot with a very weakMost of us enjoyed watching the first film ,now most of you are excited to watch Iron Man 2 but after seeing it you're damn Unsatisfied and Disappointed.Iron Man 2 is not the sequel we wanted it to be,boring and Has weak Plot with a very weak villain.despite Scarlet Johansson and Robert Downey Jr's Great performance the movie still falls flat.. Expand
SuperheroMoviesAug 3, 2013
Although it doesn't contain the depth that made the first Iron Man memorable, it still has plenty of wit and humor that the first one had and enough explosive action to go around.
MoviebuffreviewJan 22, 2011
It's disappointing that Iron Man 2 has a case of sequel-idus, with too many characters crammed and a few too man plot lines for you to really be engaged with all of the characters. Still though, Iron Man 2 has excellent acting, stellar andIt's disappointing that Iron Man 2 has a case of sequel-idus, with too many characters crammed and a few too man plot lines for you to really be engaged with all of the characters. Still though, Iron Man 2 has excellent acting, stellar and improved action, great special effects, and good humor. It is not as good as the first, but for a fun summer blockbuster, you can't go wrong with Iron Man 2. Expand
superbatAug 20, 2016
Everything that made the prequel great is thrown out of the window for the sequel. I began to dislike Downey Jr as an actor after watching this. His co-stars were able to outshine him, and at times the film is very boring. A very big disappointment.
DokaluApr 7, 2015
Iron Man 2 is the typical cliched marvel film. A bad guy wants to be really bad and a good guy wants to stop him. Oh, well, watching Robert Downey Jr. in another movie as Iron Man is always going to be really awesome.
joao1198pedroOct 17, 2013
this film exaggerated a little in jokes and it ended up spoiling a bit on the seriousness of the film, it would be good since it was a continuation of a good movie.
Cinemassacre94Mar 20, 2016
“Iron Man 2” isn’t as much fun as its predecessor, but by the time the smoke clears, it’ll do. Much like “The Dark Knight,” this Paramount release brings an enormous stash of goodwill to the party, thanks to a well-crafted origin tale whose“Iron Man 2” isn’t as much fun as its predecessor, but by the time the smoke clears, it’ll do. Much like “The Dark Knight,” this Paramount release brings an enormous stash of goodwill to the party, thanks to a well-crafted origin tale whose popularity fueled anticipation for a follow-up. Yet while the first go-round for this lesser-known Marvel hero benefited from its freshness and visual flair, the beats here are more familiar, the pacing more uneven. Given the demand, though, that will hardly matter, and this armored adventure promises to be a money-making machine that clicks on all cylinders.

In a sense, the virtues and weaknesses of the latest movie are reversed from those of the original. That film cleverly buzzed along in detailing how Iron Man came to be — while establishing Robert Downey Jr. as a niftily cool, smartass superhero — then fizzled a bit toward the end, amid a so-so CGI melee.

Here, the movie bounces through various travails assailing its hero, Downey’s Tony Stark — whose high-tech heart gizmo is also wreaking havoc on his body — in less compelling fashion. Fortunately, that gives way to a final 35 minutes or so that delivers the goods, with two Iron Men (with the sidekick now played by Don Cheadle) in full-throttle action. Throw in Scarlett Johansson kicking butt as an acrobatic super-spy in a skin-tight suit (perhaps wisely never referred to by her comicbook name, Black Widow) and, well, what’s not to like?

If there are more heroes around, as is so often the case with sequels, there’s villain inflation as well. Stark’s enemies include a Russian physicist (Mickey Rourke, much closer to his role in “Sin City” than “The Wrestler”) with his own access to advanced technology and a long-simmering grudge against the Stark family; and Justin Hammer (Sam Rockwell), an oily defense contractor desperate for his own super-suit.

There are enough fun moments in Jon Favreau’s playful direction (from Justin Theroux’s workmanlike script) and Downey’s performance — a tycoon who’s equal parts Warren Buffett and Kid Rock — to satisfy a weekend audience, but one needs a forgiving nature to get past the flabby midsection. The special effects, meanwhile, are more plentiful and polished once they fully kick into high gear, though there are still shots where that gleaming suit looks a bit more animated than it should.

All told, “Iron Man 2” suffers the same fate as many a sequel. Where the first film felt buoyant and occasionally inspired in helpfully demonstrating that, done right, there’s considerable treasure to be culled even from second-tier occupants of the Marvel universe, the new pic feels more duty-bound and industrial. As further evidence of the apparent desire to cover all bases, there are cameos by Christiane Amanpour (then still at CNN) and Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly, as well as a slimy senator (Garry Shandling) being interviewed on MSNBC.

That’s not to say the movie lacks its charms. But as Tony Stark’s free-spirited CEO might attest, while serving the needs of a major conglomerate has its perks, the task also comes with more than its share of obligations.
ammeooJan 20, 2017
This movie was an utter disappointment for me. The plots were not properly executed, there were many loopholes and the story was boring to be honest. The problem with these commercial films is that their whole purpose is to make money out ofThis movie was an utter disappointment for me. The plots were not properly executed, there were many loopholes and the story was boring to be honest. The problem with these commercial films is that their whole purpose is to make money out of amateur movie goers rather than make something that should critically make sense. Expand
skyminsterSep 18, 2013
Iron Man 2 isn't as good as it's predessessor but is still a good film. This film is all suspence and build-up, and at points is a bit boring. But the times when there is action, the film is at it's very best with brilliant special effects,Iron Man 2 isn't as good as it's predessessor but is still a good film. This film is all suspence and build-up, and at points is a bit boring. But the times when there is action, the film is at it's very best with brilliant special effects, camera-work and exciting sequences, but these moments are short and do not appear in the film enough. The film is disjointed and often trails from it's story, and at points when watching it, I felt that these moments were fairly boring and pointless. The actors did exceptionally well and their characters developed reasonably well. I felt the comedy aspects of this film were overly used and at some points ruined the feel.

Iron Man 2 is disjointed, is overly long and over-uses the comedy aspects, yet when the action appears and the camera-work is it's very best, the film is brilliant. But, overall, the film isn't as good as it should've been; so I give this film a... 72/100!
scrieciuNov 14, 2010
Very disappointing movie. The first Iron Man movie (2008) was a thousand times way better then this one. It was a long boring pathetic two hours strait. At the end, we were all expecting the big fight between Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.)Very disappointing movie. The first Iron Man movie (2008) was a thousand times way better then this one. It was a long boring pathetic two hours strait. At the end, we were all expecting the big fight between Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) and Ivan Vanko (Mickey Rourke), but it lasted like 45 seconds. It's a little bit stupid because, Ivan was preparing for that fight through almost the whole movie. All a long the film, was a bunch of dialogue with a few action scene.This movie was a big waste of my time. While watching, I couldn't wait until it was over. Expand
Le__XenomorphDec 16, 2014
Iron Man 2 has some things that were better than Iron Man (better effects and action) and some things worse (character development and pacing). But Iron Man 2 is still a great and fun movie to watch even if you aren't a die hard Marvel fan.Iron Man 2 has some things that were better than Iron Man (better effects and action) and some things worse (character development and pacing). But Iron Man 2 is still a great and fun movie to watch even if you aren't a die hard Marvel fan. 8/10 (Great) Expand
Aaron_WassermanJun 1, 2016
A very underwhelming sequel, that lacks the excitement of the first. This movie is very boring and has so much going on it is hard to get invested in any of it.
AaronWasserman1Mar 27, 2016
Lopez17Aug 11, 2010
When "Iron Man" was released in the early summer of 2008 it took the box-office and critics for a ride they would soon never forget, its huge critical and commercial success and Robert Downey Jr.'s natural charm and appeal as the hero TonyWhen "Iron Man" was released in the early summer of 2008 it took the box-office and critics for a ride they would soon never forget, its huge critical and commercial success and Robert Downey Jr.'s natural charm and appeal as the hero Tony Stark landed this larger than life comic book adaptation amongst the ranks of greats such as Tim Burton's "Batman" and "Batman Returns", Christopher Nolan's "Batman reboot "Batman Begins" and the number 2 greatest Batman film of all time, "The Dark Knight", "Richard Donner's "Superman" and "Superman II" and many other great comic book films. "Iron Man" also brought back to life the fledgling career of Robert Downey Jr. Shooting him straight to the top of superstar status after "Iron Man" finished it's run in theaters everyone had one question on there minds, when is the sequel coming out? Moviegoers waited anxiously to hear any news at all of a sequel to Jon Favreau's smash hit film. A few months after the closing of â Expand
MetalMan95Dec 5, 2010
It doesnt out-do its predecessor like The Dark Knight did, but it gives the original justice. It's the effective sequel and it does an amazing job with what its given. The action is still great, the jokes are still funny, the acting is stillIt doesnt out-do its predecessor like The Dark Knight did, but it gives the original justice. It's the effective sequel and it does an amazing job with what its given. The action is still great, the jokes are still funny, the acting is still great, and the character's are still interesting. Although with Stark's condition it's a little less optimistic than its predecessor, but that doesnt ruin it, nor does it make it bad. It's not as good as the first but it's still a grest and effective sequel Expand
JarodyFeb 11, 2016
Iron man 2 was the first sequel in the Mcu that went into development almost directly after Iron man. One of the best things about this film is a great introduction of the characters Black widow and War machine. As well as that the action isIron man 2 was the first sequel in the Mcu that went into development almost directly after Iron man. One of the best things about this film is a great introduction of the characters Black widow and War machine. As well as that the action is improved over Iron man and so are the costumes. However there were many elements of this movie that did not improve over iron man. Firstly the villain continues the marvel movie trend of not having great villains, with yet another bland villain plotline. The plot was very average at best and the returning cast are less enjoyable, especially Robert Downey jr. Altogether Iron Man 2 is an average marvel movie and although it has sparks of enjoyment it is down there with the Mcu's worst. Expand
heathermMay 11, 2015
Iron Man 2 was a really solidly entertaining sequel to the first movie. Robert Downey Jr's health problem throughout made for an interesting basis for a conflict, as it isolated him while also providing opportunities for personal reflectionIron Man 2 was a really solidly entertaining sequel to the first movie. Robert Downey Jr's health problem throughout made for an interesting basis for a conflict, as it isolated him while also providing opportunities for personal reflection and growth on his part. The back story with his father was also a neat opportunity to explore Robert Downey Jr's character, while the introduction of Scarlett Johansson's character gave him a good reason to argue with Gwynaeth Paltrow and develop that romantic interest. I thought there was a good pace and a lot of action, and I always really enjoy the planning scenes where he's tinkering in his workshop--the special effects for all the displays are visually engaging, and some of the best banter is between Robert Downey Jr and his computers. Also, this movie has really good villains--the Russian villain is menacing in his efficacy, and he has a great foil in the inept and utterly detestable CEO who's hired him to try to ruin Stark. Overall I thought this was a solid addition to the franchise. Expand
Epik_NinnjaMay 23, 2015
I honestly think that this Iron Man is the best of the 3 (that are out as of 2015). The original comes in a close second. This movie features more more action, more blowing stuff up, and more Iron Man! It also introduces War Machine, whoI honestly think that this Iron Man is the best of the 3 (that are out as of 2015). The original comes in a close second. This movie features more more action, more blowing stuff up, and more Iron Man! It also introduces War Machine, who serves as a nice addition to the movie. It's written well with some humor and some dark parts. It still stands as one of my favorite Marvel movies (but this isn't to say it's fantastic). Expand
AaronWasserman2May 4, 2014
Oh boy they really dropped the ball here. clearly just another cash grab before the avengers. Very boring and all around stupid sequel Few good action set pieces, casting, and music. other then that a very underwhelming movie.
jos95Jul 17, 2012
While Robert Downey Jr is as great as always and the action visuals are nicely done, this sequel is nowhere near the same league as the first. There's lots of plotholes, Mickey Rourke was one-dimensional and Scarlett Johannson was bland andWhile Robert Downey Jr is as great as always and the action visuals are nicely done, this sequel is nowhere near the same league as the first. There's lots of plotholes, Mickey Rourke was one-dimensional and Scarlett Johannson was bland and the plot in the third act took a back set to Avengers tie-ins. Not as bad as Spider-Man 3 or X-Men 3, but it could have been a lot better. Expand
WiesyJan 17, 2013
I'm actually disappointed about this movie. I'm big fan of the first
ImUnavailableFeb 10, 2012
Though not as smart or inventive as its predecessor, Iron Man 2 is an entertaining follow-up to the 2008 movie. In fact, in terms of action scenes and villains, this movie is better. Sam Rockwell is good as Justin Hammer, Tony Stark's oilyThough not as smart or inventive as its predecessor, Iron Man 2 is an entertaining follow-up to the 2008 movie. In fact, in terms of action scenes and villains, this movie is better. Sam Rockwell is good as Justin Hammer, Tony Stark's oily competitor and Mickey Rourke presents a threat as Whiplash. However, the movie isn't as witty or as clever as before. Iron Man 2 is constructed like a typical superhero movie and while this is not the worst thing in the world, it does make the story feel a little more by-the-numbers. Performances are good all round, especially Downey Jr., who clearly enjoys playing the eccentric billionaire. Expand
RyanGeeSep 28, 2010
I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed the predecessor of this Iron Man franchise. Well it was not exactly cerebral as The Dark Knight (its Summer opponent of 2008), it was fast-paced and indeed had enough action to fill its run time. II have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed the predecessor of this Iron Man franchise. Well it was not exactly cerebral as The Dark Knight (its Summer opponent of 2008), it was fast-paced and indeed had enough action to fill its run time. I wish I could say the same about the sequel, Iron Man 2. What was a franchise known for its action, is now a dull plot-developing movie. The majority of the movie focused on the foolishness of Robert Downey's character. Although well-acted, I wish there was more "Iron Man" than of Tony Stark. The final scene of the movie does go back to it comic-book roots with the duo of War Machine & Iron Man, but it feels empty because there was not much to support it. It is an acceptable and somewhat enjoyable blockbuster, but I could not get over the mindless drama and lack of action. Expand
fadithebeastJan 19, 2017
Disappointed by the movie. Was expecting much much more. The movie could have been good but there were so many problems with the plots and the overall direction of the movie. The overall execution was terrible and it was a boring mess withDisappointed by the movie. Was expecting much much more. The movie could have been good but there were so many problems with the plots and the overall direction of the movie. The overall execution was terrible and it was a boring mess with not even half way through the movie. Expand
DrewtheDude85Apr 1, 2014
I really liked the first Iron Man, it was a solid film telling the retelling the story of how Tony Stark became Iron Man. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about Iron Man 2. This entry felt pretty bland and lacked the action and theI really liked the first Iron Man, it was a solid film telling the retelling the story of how Tony Stark became Iron Man. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about Iron Man 2. This entry felt pretty bland and lacked the action and the excitement that the first film have leaving me dissatisfied. I did think that there were some somewhat humorous parts, but overall I just felt that this film just focused too much on stupid plot points that were not at all necessary making this mess known as Iron Man 2. Robert Downy Jr. is a good Iron Man, but if you want him to be in an excellent film, go watch the first Iron Man, The Avengers or Iron Man 3 because those films rocked, this one...not so much. Expand
SkyrimGuy935Jan 17, 2015
Being the sequel to the film that started it all for the MCU, I had high hopes for Iron Man 2. Unfortunately, the sequel was shockingly underwhelming and dull save for a few good action sequences. This was due to more than a few unnecessaryBeing the sequel to the film that started it all for the MCU, I had high hopes for Iron Man 2. Unfortunately, the sequel was shockingly underwhelming and dull save for a few good action sequences. This was due to more than a few unnecessary subplots, dialog that just didn't feel as witty or funny as the first, and the villain is completely underdeveloped. Downey is still great as Iron Man, although Mickey Rourke was severely miscast as the villain.

5.3/10
ElectroNickMay 1, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was pretty excited for this film before it's release due to the unique takes of the superhero genre that the previous film took. I was also excited to see what direction the story would be since it ended with Stark revealing his secret identity. In some regards, the film does take some risks like showing Stark's fame and the price he pays. Once again the best part of this film is Robert Downey Jr. with his charisma. He is an expert at playing the likable jerk. One of the strongest moments was when he was wondering what to do with his life after he discovered that his chest piece is slowly killing him. Mickey Rourke is a pretty good villain as Whiplash but unfortunately he is not on the screen that much. The villain with the most screen time was Justin Hammer who is supposed to represent what Stark used to be as a war monger but the Iron Monger already played that role. As a matter of fact, the Hammer in the comics was a suave business man who was an old man that is always one step ahead of Iron Man. The Hammer in this film however was a young cocky industrialist who takes up too much screen time that deserved to focus on Rourke. Scarlet Johansson did as good of a job as she could have considering that she barely had a purpose in the story. The film is right with humor including a funny segment with a dud weapon humorlessly called "the ex wife" and Stan Lee's cameo as Hugh Hefner. The story line is really nothing more that filler for the Avengers film but it will keep you entertained for a brief period of time despite its flaws. Expand
ZiggyStardustJun 15, 2011
Great follow up of the first Iron Man. Tony Stark is yet again well portrayed by Robert Downey Jr. and the cast got a really nice add from the Avengers (yes, I'm pointing out Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow). Plot is great, action is greatGreat follow up of the first Iron Man. Tony Stark is yet again well portrayed by Robert Downey Jr. and the cast got a really nice add from the Avengers (yes, I'm pointing out Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow). Plot is great, action is great and acting is great. Great super-hero movie! Expand
supermann234Dec 9, 2014
Iron Man 2 is an awesome movie which features plenty of action and great CGI. It has an interesting plot and is highly recommended for everyone. Overall, this is a pretty good movie.
SpiderPlayerMay 15, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a good film with good action scenes with an interesting hero, but one of the major flaws is villain, or if the bad guys, they are not very interesting and occasionally get to be boring, and the producers made the same thing they did in the first film, using armor to face Iron Man, do not need to use a similar equipment with the iron man, he could have done differently, in short is a good movie but does not compare to the first. Expand
TheBearOct 18, 2010
The second Iron Man film by its own standards is a fun comic book film that stands tall over your basic comic book efforts. However it generally comes across so flat in tone, lacking any real danger that it comes across more like a pointlessThe second Iron Man film by its own standards is a fun comic book film that stands tall over your basic comic book efforts. However it generally comes across so flat in tone, lacking any real danger that it comes across more like a pointless and unneccessary extension of the first Iron Man. It is however filled with great performances from Robert Downey Jr. and the supporting cast but a sequel that has so much potential that instead settles for being merely mediocre is close to being unforgiveable. That said however, it still could have been much worse and still remains a fun watch. Expand
cumoviesJul 27, 2014
Iron man 2 fails to be even close to the first movie but its still an alright superhero flick mostly thanks to Robert d Jnr acting as Tony Stark.

my ratting 7.2/10 action/special effects 7/10 acting 8/10 story 7/10 style 7/10

my ratting 7.2/10 action/special effects 7/10 acting 8/10 story 7/10 style 7/10 characters/character development 7/10
RumblebeeloveNov 23, 2010
Though not nearly as inspired as the first, this summer sequel boasts solid effects, some sweet action scenes, comedy and with characterization by a great cast. It is a good film, not the best, but definitely worth a good look.
Delta_AssaultSep 28, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Iron Man 2 is not exactly a worthy followup to the original. My problems with the film: The fight between Rhodey and Tony in his mansion with DJ AM in the background was really dumb. These two guys are supposed to be best friends? Yeah Tony was being a douche, but that doesn't mean you steal one of his suits and proceed to try to beat his ass and tear up his whole damn mansion in the process. It just felt like they needed an action beat, like they said "Oh hey, it's been x amount of pages since we've had some action to entertain the audience, we need to stick a fight scene in here according to this scriptwriting 101 guide." It seemed very forced and unnecessary to me.

Justin Hammer was cheesing up the joint and just acting way too goofy.

Tony and Pepper's playful banter had turned into a lot of bickering that wasn't that fun to watch.

Tony's father had hidden away his secret formula for an amazing new element as... the overhead blueprint for his **** Stark Expo? What the hell, why would anybody... what? That doesn't even make any sense. How would he know that Tony would possess a nifty holographic projector that could strip away the details and reveal this magical wonder element? Why not just write down the formula on a piece of paper, why hide it as the layout for a stupid ass expo? This... this **** stinks.

How is Tony's new power source poisoning his blood? The palladium core goes right into his arc reactor, why would this end up in his bloodstream? His bloodstream seems completely segregated from the reactor. Couldn't he just invent some filter between the reactor and his body? He seems good at inventing stuff.

At the race track, when Vanko attacks... why don't the security guards just shoot Vanko in the chest with their guns? His exoskeleton doesn't seem to cover his chest, they could shoot him to death.

Rourke's Vanko spends most of the second half of the movie in a factory building robots. That's kinda boring, you shouldn't have your main villain squirrelled away that much.

The final battle with Vanko was way too short and just involved IM and WM doing some stupid high-five with their repulsors. Vanko also opens his helmet for no reason, making his head incredibly vulnerable. But other then that, I thought it was an enjoyable experience.
LondonTrueloveNov 9, 2010
Good, but not nearly as good as the first one. Somehow Mickey Rourke builds a super suit and still gets his ass kicked by Ironman?? Can't stand the good guy always winning every battle no matter what the odds storyline. I guess it's worth watching
waronassermanMay 2, 2015
Lackluster. this movie is boring as hell and is not a good sequel! what a total cash grab! this movie was a complete joke and continually dissappointed as it went along. Not good. aside from the score, the acting, and the very little actionLackluster. this movie is boring as hell and is not a good sequel! what a total cash grab! this movie was a complete joke and continually dissappointed as it went along. Not good. aside from the score, the acting, and the very little action still looked visually stunning Expand
KundKSep 5, 2010
A bit underwhelming and slow compared to the first one, but still mostly fun due to un-pretentiousness and playful irreverence so rare in superhero movies. Robert Downey Jr. is the (polonium) heart of the franchise both as the playboy StarkA bit underwhelming and slow compared to the first one, but still mostly fun due to un-pretentiousness and playful irreverence so rare in superhero movies. Robert Downey Jr. is the (polonium) heart of the franchise both as the playboy Stark and the Hammeroid fighting Iron Man, Sam Rockwell makes a great weaselly villain, Mickey Rourke speaks Russian like a real Slavonic soul, Scarlet Johansson has only one proper super-spy action scene as Natasha Romanov/Black Widow but her ballet-like kickassery steals the show and begs her own movie. A decent popcorn movie. Expand
LevelsAndGearDec 27, 2011
Enjoyable, not as enjoyable as the first - dragged a smidge in the middle and the whole thing felt at times like a giant trailer for the Avengers. B-. I am sure anyone who was going to see it already has though. On a random side note, I amEnjoyable, not as enjoyable as the first - dragged a smidge in the middle and the whole thing felt at times like a giant trailer for the Avengers. B-. I am sure anyone who was going to see it already has though. On a random side note, I am positive the trailers for this movie showed a scene with Tony jumping out of a plane and saying to Pepper "You complete me!" - This did not appear in the movie, I hate it when trailers show scenes that aren't actually in the release version of the film. Expand
GarianAug 8, 2012
I did like Iron Man 2, the comedy and action was still there, but you knew what the final 'Boss fight' would be almost from the beginning, iron man vs the bad guy who makes a suit for himself.
TrackerDeviceNov 2, 2015
The sequel to the Iron Man franchise isn't as bad as people say it is. However, it isn't as good as its predecessor. With fun action scenes, and entertaining characters, Iron Man 2 can be a fun movie to watch, but its atrocious villain was aThe sequel to the Iron Man franchise isn't as bad as people say it is. However, it isn't as good as its predecessor. With fun action scenes, and entertaining characters, Iron Man 2 can be a fun movie to watch, but its atrocious villain was a low point in this movie. Expand
DeVr33zNov 3, 2010
It's sufficiently entertaining but it could have been a lot better. The plot doesn't make much sense, and a lot of the characters are just annoying.
thelordoffilmAug 13, 2010
Itâ
PeterParkerJan 16, 2015
Iron Man 2 è un film spettacolare,con una trama fantastica ed emozionante,il migliore della trilogia dedicata al supereroe ed il miglior film Marvel assieme a The Avengers e Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
Ruler101Nov 30, 2010
This movie suffers from what i call the "the second movie drop." The first movie had sparks flying and this intriguing edge that made you want more. This second addition to the Iron Man series was interesting for a bit but then became obviousThis movie suffers from what i call the "the second movie drop." The first movie had sparks flying and this intriguing edge that made you want more. This second addition to the Iron Man series was interesting for a bit but then became obvious and dragged on for long period of the movie. Expand
Longbottom94Apr 29, 2013
Many have expressed their disappointing about this sequel. I personally think that it is just as good as the original. Robert Downey JR is great as usual, the action has been improved and Mickey Rourke is entertaining as the terrible Russian.Many have expressed their disappointing about this sequel. I personally think that it is just as good as the original. Robert Downey JR is great as usual, the action has been improved and Mickey Rourke is entertaining as the terrible Russian. Even thought there are improvements to the sequel, there are also too many characters in the film and the final action scene is quite anti-climactic. Still a high recommendation to fans of the original Expand