Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: May 3, 2013
Generally favorable reviews based on 2090 Ratings
1,273
Watch Now
drlowdonJan 11, 2014
Anyone that has seen previous Marvel movies will find very little surprises in Tony Stark’s third outing and it is certainly as easy as ever to find plot holes if you really want to. Post Avengers it is also a little disappointing to see justAnyone that has seen previous Marvel movies will find very little surprises in Tony Stark’s third outing and it is certainly as easy as ever to find plot holes if you really want to. Post Avengers it is also a little disappointing to see just one superhero on screen and there is just one line throwaway line that acknowledges rather than justifies the fact that his SHIELD buddies never show up to help.

There are also a few other issues stopping it from being amongst the top tier of comic book movies (the strange twist and the fact the he spends virtually none of the film in his suit for example) but Iron Man 3’s mix of humour and spectacular action sequences still makes for a fairly entertaining couple of hours and most viewers will enjoy what they see.
imthenoobJul 28, 2013
The Irorn Man franchise is a huge franchise. You figured they'd be able to hire a good writer to give us a quality plot but sadly this is not the case. The plot is weak and rather predictable and it takes away from the film as a whole.The Irorn Man franchise is a huge franchise. You figured they'd be able to hire a good writer to give us a quality plot but sadly this is not the case. The plot is weak and rather predictable and it takes away from the film as a whole.

Absolutely hated the long run time. It really could have been a good 20-30 minutes shorter. All that unneeded filler during that time was sort of unneeded and it really hurt the film as a whole.

The action of the film is sort of disappointing as well. It's all flash with no real substance, Any on scene fight scenes generally range from a few seconds to a min (if that). It would have been nicer to see some more in-your-face fight scenes, Especially with Tony's (Iron Man) beef with the main villain.

The rest of the movie is pretty enjoyable. There is plenty of comedy through out, alright badly placed at times and it sort of throws off what should be key dramatic scenes. It's still enjoyable though and will get quite a few laughs from viewers. The acting is solid, no real complaints, I rather liked the additions of Ben Kingsley and Guy Pearce as well.

Overall, I think the bits of comedy through out really save it but the long run time was a real killer for this movie.
shaun8picklesJul 18, 2013
To start off my review, I have to say if you haven't watched Iron Man the first of the three, watch that first. Otherwise you won't know what an Iron Man movie should look like, I would highly recommend Iron Man 1 over 3 or 2 any day. ButTo start off my review, I have to say if you haven't watched Iron Man the first of the three, watch that first. Otherwise you won't know what an Iron Man movie should look like, I would highly recommend Iron Man 1 over 3 or 2 any day. But Iron Man does have some good things... The destruction has always been a big part of Iron Man and in Iron Man 3 they still bring that back, I just felt the movie was so cheesy and there were really no characters to care about other than Tony Stark himself. Like I said before there are some good parts of the movie that I enjoyed, Tony Stark's humor is back and is still solid, the jokes were usually hit or miss but when they hit they were good. I recommend Iron Man 1 over and of the 2, as the second was mostly corny as well. I give this movie 6 only because of the humor, SFX, destruction and the opening 10-15 minutes were great. Otherwise I would stay away from this movie, and if you haven't seen the first one watch that! All the "reviewers" on this movie giving it a one have either a) based there opinion on just the one movie, not the trilogy b) based there review on how it did not follow the comic books which isn't a big deal c) have only wrote one review (spam). Otherwise I would recommend the movie to big action fans or fans of the series. Expand
htimreimerMay 5, 2013
Iron man 3 is a fun, enjoyable and vary character driven but still it's a bit mess with one massive plot hole and things never getting explained. overall if you liked the first iron man, You will like this one
MuuvinkiJun 29, 2013
Very boring movie and with almost no good fighting scenes or action at all. Beats the second movie at least but that is all there is to say about this.
sanyrubSep 23, 2013
My review could be biased since Iron Man has never been an appealing super hero to me. None of the movies have impressed me and this last one which closes the trilogy did not either. Strong points are the action sequences and visual effectsMy review could be biased since Iron Man has never been an appealing super hero to me. None of the movies have impressed me and this last one which closes the trilogy did not either. Strong points are the action sequences and visual effects and some comical scenes Iron man movies have offered in the whole trilogy. but apart from that there´s not more to it. The 3 of them are very simple movies when it comes to the script, there´s no heart in the characters, the love interest is totally bland, no strong villains and I could go on. I did not mind the Mandarin surprise, that is not the reason why this movie is average. And no amount of hype, budged and big box office success can change that. So many comic book movies superior to this out there. Expand
scott8798May 15, 2013
Iron Man 3 had a lot of expectations. The second sequel to a hugely profitable franchise, this movie had some big shoes to fill. And the shoe fits, but not very comfortably. Robert Downey Jr. is excellent as usual, playing Tony Stark withIron Man 3 had a lot of expectations. The second sequel to a hugely profitable franchise, this movie had some big shoes to fill. And the shoe fits, but not very comfortably. Robert Downey Jr. is excellent as usual, playing Tony Stark with such ease and smoothness that he just might save this movie. Iron Man 3 has more packed into its running time than the other movies. More action (or more violent action), more family friendly-parts, and more about Stark. But I feel like the plot is missing too much... explanation. I felt really confused with what was going on at times. I wish that the screenplay was better, but Downey really saved this film. I would say that it's worth your time, but not if you're going into it with a negative connotation. Expand
ExKingNov 15, 2013
so yeah, this one was terrible, it seems as if they shot each scene alone and forgot that all the scene are going to come together at the end and should make sense
and the movie start off very lame as RWJ as the narrator who have no idea
and the movie start off very lame as RWJ as the narrator who have no idea what to say relying on his ego
and then he made a joke 5 seconds after his girlfriend just fall off 2000 feet and should be dead ?
and you have a terrible performance from Guy Pearce who apparently can't Starr in a good movie recently,
and the director trying so hard to bring himself on the screen in pointless scenes who add nothing to major all clusterfu**
just stop this series already.
IDredManJul 12, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie ...Eeesh, this movie.
I'm just gonna say this at first.. I liked this movie.
But the people down below giving this movie 0s and 1s are being fanboys, retards, and are completely talking out of their asses because they have NO IDEA what a REAL 0/10 movie is. Go see Titanic 2, Birdemic or the Room and come here saying this is a 0 you blind fanboys.
As to the Mandarin twist. Who the hell cares? It's an okay twist that's bashed on and hated by blind fanboys that are WAY TOO mad that this movie isn't taken straight out of the comics without a single atom changing.
The Mandarin twist could have been teased in better though. It felt really sudden and almost not backed up.
If they had hinted it with some foreshadowing or maybe put in some random earlier things that wold have tied in when we found out.
Now, one thing I DIDN'T like however, was that Pepper was the one to kill Killian/The Mandarin.
Overall this is a great movie, go see it if you're not expecting it to be true to the comics at all.
And don't mind the bad reviewers, most of them are just mad cause they didn't get their magician man.
cewatmuJul 13, 2013
Decent. Was never a big Iron Man fan, but I like superhero movies. The trailer was very deceiving. Turned out to be nothing like I had expected. Had its moments though. I enjoyed it while in the theater, for the most part, but I don't everDecent. Was never a big Iron Man fan, but I like superhero movies. The trailer was very deceiving. Turned out to be nothing like I had expected. Had its moments though. I enjoyed it while in the theater, for the most part, but I don't ever imagine caring to see it again. I didn't particularly like the plot twist, or the main villain. To me, the twist turned the movie into a light-hearted action-comedy, and I was kind of hoping Iron Man would go out with a bang, with a darker plot (I'm assuming this was his last solo movie). But it wasn't enough to make me upset after seeing it. If I liked Iron Man more, I probably would have been really disappointed by this movie. Expand
sammieteeOct 6, 2013
I was sadly disappointed by Iron Man 3. Maybe because I was expecting too much out of it. I didn't get as much Tony sass I as hoped for. I just felt like it was missing something along the way. I did still enjoy Iron Man 3. I liked how itI was sadly disappointed by Iron Man 3. Maybe because I was expecting too much out of it. I didn't get as much Tony sass I as hoped for. I just felt like it was missing something along the way. I did still enjoy Iron Man 3. I liked how it tied back to The Avengers. I could have been much better, but it still could have been worse. Expand
HiddenGhulJul 25, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When this film started I was hooked! For the first half of the film I was at the edge of my seat. However then this kid showed up, he didn't ruin the film or anything but the film slightly dropped in quality but the dialogue was still great and Stark was on fire! But then Stark goes to take on 'the Mandarin'...*sigh*. When Kingsley walked out of the bathroom, my face sank. I was devastated, literally traumatized. I don't know who thought of this idea, but it is a terrible idea. Any comic book fan will be pissed watching this film. I don't even remember the rest it was so generic. Luckily I have fond memories of the fist half of the film, it really was great! But is you don't mind what happens to the Mandarin, you'll probably enjoy the film. Expand
Nkond39May 21, 2013
There is a problem that exists with casting big hollywood stars to play masked superheroes, and the more of the hero's face is covered with mask, the more pronounced that problem becomes. Big hollywood stars want their face on the screen.There is a problem that exists with casting big hollywood stars to play masked superheroes, and the more of the hero's face is covered with mask, the more pronounced that problem becomes. Big hollywood stars want their face on the screen. Close-ups preferably. Compare two "Judge Dredd" movies. The one from 1995 with Stallone and the recent one with Karl Urban. The comic book Judge Dredd never removes his helmet, but it was not good for Stallone, cause he is such a big star or whatever. So in 1995 movie most of the movie Dredd is seen not just without his helmet but without his uniform at all. Karl Urban. on the other hand is not such a big star (yet?) so he stayed true to the source and spent the whole movie in the helmet.
Now lets look and those Iron Man Movies.When in the first movie we saw way more of Tony Stark than we did of Iron Man. It was kinda okay. After all we were watching the origin story so it was to be expected. The second movie was showing too much of Tony Stark and those "inside the helmet, holograms on the face" close-ups.. but we got to see War Machine and Downey Jr. is really a good actor so it was kinda okay.
But Iron Man 3.. oh man. they should've named it "Tony Stark 1" instead of "Iron Man 3". It is not about the "MAN inside the armor". Its "man inside THE ARMOR" what made Iron Man what it is today! We do not care about Tony Stark that much, come on! Even in the final confrontation most of the fight Stark is outside of the Iron Man armor. They even made those "inside the helmet" close ups when Stark is actually OUTSIDE the helmet... come on! What the hell is this about? This movie makes me wish for Downey Jr. contract NOT to be renewed and for the studio to cast someone less famous (that does not mean less talented, just dive into TV actors pool and you can find some gems there) who has no problems with gvivng more screen time to CGI Iron Man Armor and just providing the voice.
brando79azMay 6, 2013
Lots of explosions and other special effects! Also, some very funny "LOL" moments. This is a great movie for the eyes and the ears but plot holes, contradictions and absurdities negatively influenced my experience greatly.

Most the plot

Most the plot holes are spoilers so I will not elaborate. I will say the first two film were much more intelligent than this film. I completely agree with Orndorf's points about the film's disjointedness but I was surprised he skipped its many plot holes and contradictions.

Prior rules set by the first 2 movies (involving his chest wound, its relation to the armor and also how the armor functioned) were ignored and contradicted. Also, and perhaps only serious for comic book enthusiasts, the Mandorin's comic book mythos was almost completely ignored (He basically just looked like the Mandarin.)

Next, with a crazy movie premise (man in iron suit,) I was surprised no attempts were made to ground the movie's remainder in reality. IM3's intelligence was influenced by in-your-face and conveniently placed plot devices and ridiculous stunts performed by characters (not the magical ones) without care or injury. Also, character behaviors and actions, though funny and entertaining, were stupid and ridiculous. No forethought was placed on certain characters who were, magically, able to heat 3k degrees but stay clothed. This reminded me of Hulk and his ability to keep clothed. Finally, national security protocols, and awkward use of firearms were also hard to swallow... Ahhh! Some of the above examples were (admittedly) petty but still distracting.

The above greatly influenced my enjoyment, unlike the previous entries. Don't get me wrong, the first 2 movies required a suspension of disbelief as well, but with top-notch script, dialogue and direction I was able to suspend and enjoy.

Oh well. I will still buy the Blu to finish my collection.
TylerDsCreationMay 9, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Iron Man is one of the most iconic superheroes of all time. Everyone knows who he is and that is probably mostly because of this franchise fright here. I'm not complaining, and I'm not saying anyone else is either, but is anyone really thanking them for it?
I think we can all agree that the first to this trilogy is, in fact the best of the series by far and one of the best comic book movies of all time. I don't want to get into the first one right now because this is supposed to be a review for the third, but I will say that the first one had an aspect to it that little superhero movies, or action movies for that matter had. It had the humanism that could create the ability to relate to a character (Tony Stark) who is almost impossible to relate to, for the average moviegoer. But that one pulled it off with flying colors. Now, I know that a movie like Iron Man will be tough to follow, but I felt that Iron Man 2 really lost sight of all of the aspects that made its predecessor a masterpiece. They turned the franchise into a big Blockbuster money grab. It may have reached the heights visually, but for sure not emotionally, and you need a little more than a couple cool action sequences to keep more mature audiences occupied…well, most of them. The third and I think final installment in the series brought some of the characteristics back that made the first great, but was there enough?
Iron Man 3 was, in my opinion, the least over-the-top of the three. I thought that Robert Downey Jr. didn’t bring everything he had brought to the other two that made me love the character so much. He was surprisingly very mellow and toned down in this movie. It might have been the change of directors or maybe he might have just been done with the series and ready for his paycheck, but it just didn’t pull me in and that is a problem. This movie was also the most comedic with slapstick humor being thrown at you from every corner. I will admit, a good amount of it hit, but there was also the stuff that missed that just made you roll your eyes.
After that first movie, I felt like the whole production team for these movies just gave up. They said, “Hey, we may have made one of the best action movies of all time. Who cares what comes next.” So they just threw a second installment together knowing it will make tons of money and it did, and it got some from me, but I really wish they had strived towards more. Sadly, I couldn’t shake that feeling during this movie that they just gave up. They put a little more thought into this one, but not enough to convince me that these people are actually trying to make a fantastic movie. I will give them credit for what they had in this movie though. They had some interesting material and not just mindless action like in the second one. There were some cool concepts in this, like taking the beloved villain (The Mandarin) from the comics and throwing a little twist into it and having him not be the actual villain at all and just an actor that is playing the part. Guy Pierce is actually the terrorist who attacked all those locations. I found it to be an interesting concept and I enjoyed it. I don’t know how the fanboys are all going to take it, but I liked it.
I think we can throw the acting and the effects into the same boat for this one. The effects were a lot better than the acting in this movie. The effects looked great, especially the end action sequence with the dozens of Iron Men killing the mutants. The mutants looked pretty good too, except for when they exploded. That wasn’t the very best effect. So the effects were on a high note, but the acting was a bit lower. As I said before, Robert Downey Jr. didn’t bring as much to the table as he did in the other two. But I actually thought that everyone was kind of toned down and mellowed out, except for Ben Kingsley. He did an outstanding job and he was by far the most over-the-top, and he was the exact definition. Guy Pierce was fine and so was Gwyneth Paltrow but no one else really blew me away. Now let’s take a minute to talk about this child actor in this. When he first showed up, I knew I was going to hate him and I prayed that he was a small part of the movie. This kid was awful, and thank god he wasn’t in the majority of the movie. He had no emotion and he was just so annoying and unlikable. I know I hated him. But I mean, he’s a child actor, Can I really judge him? All I can say is that I was so happy to get rid of him.
Iron Man 3 had its flaws and thank god there weren’t as many as the second one. But it still didn’t live up to the famous first film, but what will right? In my opinion, it was better than two, and worse than one. Taking it all into account, I did enjoy it and I recommend you at least see it. Just go see for yourself. This was the darkest of the three and I think that gives it a couple of extra points. I would recommend it, just don’t be expecting it to be influential.
LansdenrsJun 1, 2013
The latest Iron man movie was entertaining. It kept you on the edge of your seat. With that said the villians were all wrong. Pierce was great but the so called terrorist was a joke if u want to make a comedy make a comedy
callumjsouthDec 13, 2014
I find solace when I look back on the first Iron Man film. However the same cannot be said for Iron Man 3. It is slick and humorous as you'd expect, but the third instalment is too hung up on a serious threat and less so on the potential ofI find solace when I look back on the first Iron Man film. However the same cannot be said for Iron Man 3. It is slick and humorous as you'd expect, but the third instalment is too hung up on a serious threat and less so on the potential of the loveable protagonist. The first film saw progression in Tony Stark's character and the second introduced a villain of interest. The third finds it hard to add anything interesting to the franchise and that is the main issue. The story is far too cataclysmic for my liking and makes for a humble ending to the trilogy. Expand
TerenceYiboFeb 3, 2014
电影充满故事和幽默,但导演将基调弄得黑暗又和这种幽默格格不入,其它水准把握还算不错,特效不错,最后得大战控制得不够到位,反派的设定很不讨喜,令人失望。
CriticGuyJun 12, 2013
I walked in the theaters with very high expectations, me thinking it was gonna be as good as the dark knight rises. I was very wrong... from the trailer the movie had a much much darker and serious tone. Iron Man 3 had very unnecessary andI walked in the theaters with very high expectations, me thinking it was gonna be as good as the dark knight rises. I was very wrong... from the trailer the movie had a much much darker and serious tone. Iron Man 3 had very unnecessary and pointless "laughs" at sometimes.The big twist in the movie really disappointed, I thought Iron Man and the Mandarin were going to have an epic battle. The person (not saying who) who killed the actual villain made me laugh, seriously Tony Stark and his somewhat 43 suits couldn't defeat the villain!?? Wow.. This didn't really feel like an Iron Man movie. This movie felt like an action comedy movie. My dad was very disappointed as well. Overall I give it a 5 out of 10. Expand
jdadams01Jun 14, 2013
The weakest one of the three movies, in my opinion. Action movies, and superhero movies in particular, will always have plot holes, but this is often a mine field. Robert Downey Jr. seems tired of being Tony Stark, as well. The action is coolThe weakest one of the three movies, in my opinion. Action movies, and superhero movies in particular, will always have plot holes, but this is often a mine field. Robert Downey Jr. seems tired of being Tony Stark, as well. The action is cool and the graphics are great, but the thrill is missing a little compared to the other movies. The way everything is wrapped up at the end is quite lacking as well. I was entertained, but I feel there were many missed opportunities. Expand
Darkin20Jul 2, 2013
I wanted to like this movie more and there was nothing really that wrong with it, it even had a good surprise twist but overall it just could not compare to the previous 2. I think the over the top upgrades took away from the movie a bit as well.
RobertoBuaJun 30, 2013
I went to the cinema expecting a great supehero movie (like the first two films) and what I got was a comedy instead. Still a decent film, but I hope they get rid of at least 50% of the humor for the next Iron Man.
Kevbo85Sep 26, 2013
After two iterations of the series and the Avengers collective effort, most of us who have paid attention thus far more or less knew what to expect from Iron Man 3. Namely, outstanding special effects coupled with heavy doses of Robert DowneyAfter two iterations of the series and the Avengers collective effort, most of us who have paid attention thus far more or less knew what to expect from Iron Man 3. Namely, outstanding special effects coupled with heavy doses of Robert Downey Jr's sarcastic one-liners and playful interactions with his supporting cast. Here, Iron Man 3 does not disappoint. However, after so many examples of Tony Stark and his exploits to draw from, this particular batch seems stale in comparison.

I cannot find fault in the plot, despite my lack of comic-book knowledge and the incredible amount of animosity that crowd has towards the inconsistencies and utter lack of translation taking place between particular characters and events. Things unfold at a rapid pace, and even though you have a good feeling regarding how things will all turn out favoring Stark, there are moments where the film remembers (as the original Iron Man did) to remind the audience of his humanity. The standard cast of supporting actors returns, but Ben Kingsley adds some truly unexpected...things...to the film. No spoilers here, I assure you, but his presence is appreciated by this viewer.

So, what's to blame for the disappointment? Simple comparison, of course, and its unavoidable after four films based solely (or largely) on Stark/Iron Man. It entertains, but it also leaves a sour taste in the mouth. The closing line of the credits, "Tony Stark Will Return", is about a 50/50 proposition; we all know the Avengers 2 is coming, but Iron Man 4? Something tells me this is as far as they can (or should) take the series. Something also tells me they won't stop, and continuing to cast the light on Iron Man may end up making the entire franchise (which has been mostly stellar, in my opinion) poorer for it.
ConnorFilmFanJul 25, 2013
Iron Man 3 tries very hard to break the traditional superhero film mold, but doesn't quite succeed. That isn't to mean it's not a decently enjoyable time however. The film succeeds mostly to another fantastic performance given by RobertIron Man 3 tries very hard to break the traditional superhero film mold, but doesn't quite succeed. That isn't to mean it's not a decently enjoyable time however. The film succeeds mostly to another fantastic performance given by Robert Downey. The biggest issue Iron Man 3 has is its fluctuating tonality. The mixture between seriousness and comedy isn't well blended. In fact, the way a scene can try to inspire a sense of gravitas, and then cut quickly to a joke is quite jarring. Some things are treated more like a cheap gag rather than a serious character twist. Nevertheless, the film does have a few interesting concepts, and the actors give their all. It's overall a decently good time at the cinema, even if it's lacking compared to the first film. Expand
cheeseberger11Nov 5, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am one of the many who was disappointed in the mandarin plot twist. What I am most disappointed in is the fact that they cant use him as an enemy of the avengers. He would have been a good one. But back to Iron Man. The movie's action was awesome. It's humor was done appropriately and well (like all Marvel films). All of the good guys were well developed and didn't stray too far from character. I wasn't the huge fan of the ending. Mainly the part where he threw the arc reactor, that was in his chest, in the ocean. It didn't have anything to do with the plot or Stark's self conflict and felt it was thrown in. Overall good flick. Still a fan of Iron Man and will be disappointed if Downey Jr quits Tony. Expand
ShishirAug 10, 2013
Iron Man 3 would be an OK one. The movie can expect mixed reaction. Still there are some place it could be improved. As the trailer was really good. It was not like I was expected. But enjoyable watching.
GodReviewsNov 10, 2013
A fun but terrible, cliched, and action packed ride. The only part that saves this movie is Robert Downey Jr's acting and the action in the final scenes A ton of cliched parts and terrible acting potrayed, knew that I was watching a MarvelA fun but terrible, cliched, and action packed ride. The only part that saves this movie is Robert Downey Jr's acting and the action in the final scenes A ton of cliched parts and terrible acting potrayed, knew that I was watching a Marvel Mess. A disappointed since I went in from watching the Avengers which was an amazing action movie.
Overall, a lackluster action movie with terrible predicted scenes and terrible acting.
lazatoyMay 3, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Originally, I said this movie was "awesome", completely ignoring the fact that it disappointed all the true to heart fans when it came out. Looking at it now, I can see the mediocrity in it. First off, SPOILER WARNING!
I will be going through this film beginning to end, both from the eyes of me and a major fan boy. Iron man 2 was one of the BIGGEST disappointments from marvel I've seen yet, and I think a comic fan boy could agree. I want to go over why Iron Man 2 sucked so damn much, but this is NOT a review for that movie so lets get on with this crap. First off, the Mandarin is not really the Mandarin. Now, through my perspective, as someone who hasn't really read any of the comics, I don't care! But from a fan boy's perspective this was another total shame on marvel's part, I mean they are damned marvel after all, so why would they do this to us? The mandarin is later revealed to be some asshat with some type of flame power, who... wants revenge after Tony ditched him years ago? WHAT?!? To be honest I kinda liked tony's new powers, and while I didn't like the newcomer in the 2nd film, I felt my blood rush a little when the president was forced into the suit, to the fans, once again I can see the facepalm induced by this from the original fan boys. As for Stan Lee's cameo... :D if there's ONE thing I love about the Marvel movies its seeing a silly good ol' cameo from Stan Lee. The trailers made it look like this movie was going to be all about protecting Pepper or whatever her name is (at least from my perspective), and what did I find out about this when I actually saw it? It had nearly nothing to do about protecting her!
Here are some serious grudges I had with this entry 1) Less of iron man, more like regular man
2) before the suit could stay on for hours, why it can run out of batteries in this entree way before it did in its predecessors... I DON'T KNOW. 3) Tony loses his heart-thing in the end and 4) in the VERY end of the film Tony says something like "...I am iron man", even though he loses his powers, and while this is a nice ending line, it leaves little confusion to whether a 4th iron man will be made.

MY FINAL SCORE IS: 5 out of 10
THE FANBOY'S SCORE: 3.9 out of 10

PROS
-Nice action scenes
-Still a little better than iron man 2

CONS
-Stays the hell away from the comic books that formed the story of iron man
-No real mandarin.. THIS WAS TONYS WORST ENEMY!
-Less iron man, more regular man
-Leaves some confusion on ending line
MarkDetrelSep 20, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Iron Man 3, the beginning of the Marvel Phase 2, and wow, the movie is extremely... disappointing. The story sounds great, but the problem is the development, is really terrible, all the movie has much comedy moments that are irritating (Disney? Maybe?), and yes, this problem comes from its predecesor "The Avengers", the 85% of the movie is comedy, the rest serious and pathetic moments. The cast is amazing, the problem is the poor evolution of the main characters in the 3 movies, much of the characters feel wasted, and finally the script, is really terrible, as I said previously the 85% of the movie is comedy. The only good of Iron Man 3 are the effects, are amazing, and the performance of Robert Downey Jr., the rest is terrible. Iron Man 3 is a big deception. Expand
Jebu911Sep 30, 2013
This movie was extremely mediocre. Tony seems somehow way less intelligent than what he used to be and they had to throw some annoying kid into the movie as well for no real reason. I't just left a bad taste in my mouth after watching theThis movie was extremely mediocre. Tony seems somehow way less intelligent than what he used to be and they had to throw some annoying kid into the movie as well for no real reason. I't just left a bad taste in my mouth after watching the whole trilogy. Expand
Jpz38_HetzerNov 23, 2013
Meh. This movie started good, I wanted it to be good, but it wasn't. The first hour or so was really interesting, i liked Tony Starks panic attacks. Then, the second part..... They over did the humor and ruined the movie.
TheWaffleFeb 18, 2017
Marred by plenty of plot holes and inconsistencies. The villains have very weak motivation, with the implied arch-villain receiving less than 30 seconds of screen time. The editing takes you out of the movie at several points, and dramaticMarred by plenty of plot holes and inconsistencies. The villains have very weak motivation, with the implied arch-villain receiving less than 30 seconds of screen time. The editing takes you out of the movie at several points, and dramatic moments are given short-shrift. Expand
MortimerJan 28, 2014
Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) Is back after the events of The Avengers. This time he will fight with his arch enemy terrorist ringleader organizatsiiDesyat Rings Mandarin (Ben Kingsley) and the commander of the militants extremists "PeopleIron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) Is back after the events of The Avengers. This time he will fight with his arch enemy terrorist ringleader organizatsiiDesyat Rings Mandarin (Ben Kingsley) and the commander of the militants extremists "People bombs" Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce).

Directed by Shane Black tried to lodge Iron Man, as The Dark Knight Rises Christopher Nolan, but the gloom at the moment forgotten more innings is not funny jokes. Robert Downey Jr. decides excellent role Stark. Almost the entire film, even in scenes Stark was without a suit.

But despite the great special effects, good cast and sometimes funny jokes in the film has a few flaws. Characters silly villain Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce) and the template shows us a classic villain Mandarin (Ben Kingsley) was simple. Standard plot and characters are stupid and templates, as well as silly tantrums. Tony Stark does not change and is not adjusted for the film. He continues to behave stupidly. Iron Man 3 appears to us a typical adaptation of the comic book is not nothing remarkable film. I am very disappointed when watching Iron Man 3 .

Bottom line: the worst of the trilogy about the iron man. Rating C +
bfoore90Apr 5, 2016
Fell short on alot of things, Mandarin problem aside this just wasn't that much of an Iron Man movie. You see more of Tony out of the suit than in the suit, which some could consider a bad thing. On a positive note, the film is more characterFell short on alot of things, Mandarin problem aside this just wasn't that much of an Iron Man movie. You see more of Tony out of the suit than in the suit, which some could consider a bad thing. On a positive note, the film is more character based and really brings to focus on Tony's struggles post-Avengers. Overall, solid movie. Expand
AaronWasserman2May 4, 2014
Iron man fans should feel cheated and so should audiences. The trailer made this movie look very adult and mature only to see the film and realize its the complete opposite. Its a very boring movie that takes characters and ruins them. SorryIron man fans should feel cheated and so should audiences. The trailer made this movie look very adult and mature only to see the film and realize its the complete opposite. Its a very boring movie that takes characters and ruins them. Sorry Tony, maybe your solo film days are done... Expand
borderlinefilmsFeb 5, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Heavy Boots of Lead

As Tony Stark points out rather tellingly, "All nuance went out the window when the God with a hammer fell from the sky," or something to that effect. At least the writers and filmmakers knew they were going too far, pulling out all the stops, distracting us from the head- scratching plot by cramming Part Three with dizzying twists and out-of- nowhere characters and situations, all while flooding our senses with overcooked CGI and headache-inducing sound FX, and packing in so much smart-Alec dialogue that everyone started to sound like RD Jr.. Obligatory overkill.

"So you can breathe fire?" Cheadle asks the real Mandarin. Yes, but apparently only once. You get an all-you-can-stomach smorgasbord of one-of-everything. You're senses will be subdued--overwhelmed--it's impossible to be bored, you get your money's worth of manic sights and pounding sounds. So why is it ultimately so unsatisfying? Since when is way too much not enough? This is the cinematic equivalent to over- indulging in franchised junk food. CGI obesity. High carb thrills. They'll soon have to supply cinemas with vomit bags.

Still, I prefer Iron-Over-the-Top-Man better than Super-Off-the-Charts- Man. But I don't think anyone really knows how to pull off a well-rounded CGI-based movie yet. Well, there's always Avengers 2015 when Joss Whelon re-calibrates the signal-to-noise ratio, and hopefully restores some of the nuance needed to offset the onslaught of mindless action and sarcastic dialogue. Failing that, we can always hope for James Cameron's Aquaman.

"You can save only one, the President or Pepper Potts," Stark is informed. Wait! You're telling me they're not the same person? Nothing else was too ludicrous to pass up.
ChrisTaylor94Aug 8, 2014
My least favourite MCU Film. As usual the best aspect of this movie is Robert Downey Jr., he does and has always done a great job as Iron Man, but the film did not feel cohesive and often felt dull for the most part. This was a lot moreMy least favourite MCU Film. As usual the best aspect of this movie is Robert Downey Jr., he does and has always done a great job as Iron Man, but the film did not feel cohesive and often felt dull for the most part. This was a lot more character driven than previous films, which is by no means a problem but with the lack of underdeveloped villains, it really does not balance it out. Expand
thomasljoguesNov 13, 2014
Better than mediocrity in film form, aka Iron Man 2, this Iron Man continues with Iron Man's developed personality and develops it further. It introduces new plot elements, and actually has the promised action. Though Robert Downey Jr.Better than mediocrity in film form, aka Iron Man 2, this Iron Man continues with Iron Man's developed personality and develops it further. It introduces new plot elements, and actually has the promised action. Though Robert Downey Jr. himself was disappointed with the film, it is worth seeing, even though it is filled to the brim with plot-holes. Expand
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"Iron Man 3" 10 Scale Rating: 6.0 (Decent) ...

"Iron Man 3" 10 Scale Rating: 6.0 (Decent) ...

The Good: As expected, Downey, Jr showed once again why he was born to play Tony Stark. Paltrow and Cheadle nailed their respective roles once more, and newcomers Kingsley and Pearce put in their usual great performances. The effects were top notch and the storyline, based on the popular "Extremis" arc in the comics, was a great idea. The final battle was extremely well done and some of the new ways that the armor(s) were used was very creative.

The Bad: However, the villains left me more than little underwhelmed, despite the great performances from the actors involved. There was also a little too much wit and humor that at times felt out of place. I also wish that Stark had utilized the armor more as the scenes with him in Iron Man mode were too few and too short. Lastly, as a comic book nerd and a huge fan of Mandarin, I was not a fan of his portrayal. I don't want to ruin it for those who have not seen it, but I really wish that he had been as advertised.
heathermMay 13, 2015
First off, I would like to say that I was surprised by how much Christmas kept coming up in this movie. I'm sure it made more sense and seemed more natural when it first came out, but since I was watching it in a string of Marvel movies inFirst off, I would like to say that I was surprised by how much Christmas kept coming up in this movie. I'm sure it made more sense and seemed more natural when it first came out, but since I was watching it in a string of Marvel movies in May, it just seemed oddly time-specific compared to most Marvel movies. The conceit of having a bunch of other people use the suits was fun, but I don't think it worked that well to carry the movie. I can't think of things that were specifically wrong with this movie compared to the others--it had a lot of the same elements of the other Iron Man movies, but somehow it just didn't add up in the same way. It's still good, and it has the same sassy Tony Stark (seeing him interact with a child was maybe the best part of the movie), but it just wasn't as compelling as the first two in the series. Expand
jlittle1404Jan 7, 2015
The villain of the story the Mandarin was disappointing and as far as superhero movies go this is in my top 5 biggest let downs. He was trying to fix his Iron Man suit more than he was in it. I give this a miserable 4 out of 10
MrMovieBuffMar 20, 2015
Everybody knows this, Iron Man is one of the most popular characters from Marvel...his movies so far have been alright. 'Iron Man' (2008) has been absolutely amazing, a great addition to the Marvel canon and a great way to establish theEverybody knows this, Iron Man is one of the most popular characters from Marvel...his movies so far have been alright. 'Iron Man' (2008) has been absolutely amazing, a great addition to the Marvel canon and a great way to establish the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Then came 'Iron Man 2' (2010) which was a different story, while not overly terrible...it was simply a mediocre sequel that had a forgettable villain, and was just filler until 'The Avengers' (2012) was released.

'Iron Man 3' is a film that started off with promise...but after the first hour and maybe a few minutes, it went from a strong 9 to a 6 out of 10.

Robert Downey Jr. does not disappoint as Tony Stark aka "Iron Man", he is building more suits, but for some reason, he's lost his spark. His suits are not the kind of strong, powerful suits that he made in previous films.

Guy Pearce plays a man named Aldrich Killian, a once eager businessman who met Stark back in New Year's Eve 1999, but was turned down and now he plans revenge on him.

Gwyneth Paltrow returns as Pepper Potts, she is concerned for Stark since the events in 'The Avengers' (2012) and he is suffering from constant panic attacks and anxiety issues.

Ben Kingsley tackles the role of the Mandarin, one of Iron Man's biggest enemies, anyone who has read the comic books will know.

My issue with this movie is the villain, without spoiling too much, Ben Kingsley is criminally underused as the Mandarin. Plus, that unsuspected twist was absolutely unnecessary.

It feels like Marvel knew that everybody was going to see this movie after how big 'The Avengers' (2012) was. It seems like they only care for box-office openings, so they can do whatever they want to the story and not care because this movie will do well in the box-office.

I felt like an idiot for seeing this movie, but the only good things in it was the action, they're still as dazzling as ever and Downey Jr. never fails to please the fans.

Overall, I've seen this movie a couple of times, it's not the worst movie I've ever seen, but it's not one I'll be watching more times in the future.
xRAIDER34xApr 27, 2015
In my opinion worst one of the series by far its like they ran out of gas for this series and took a knife to a gunfight. I gave this a 6 because the acting was great the movie was visually stunning at times but the thought of suffering inIn my opinion worst one of the series by far its like they ran out of gas for this series and took a knife to a gunfight. I gave this a 6 because the acting was great the movie was visually stunning at times but the thought of suffering in agony through this movie again is too much. The hardcore marvel fans are going to chew this up and spit it out rightfully so. The only reason for a fair 6 like I said I felt it had great casting and at times was awsome but thats it. Expand
MovieManiac83Apr 22, 2015
“When can we talk about the Avengers?” a preteen fanboy asks Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.), his world-famous, terrorist-thwarting idol. The man inside the armor would rather change the subject, as the mere mention of “New York” or “wormhole”“When can we talk about the Avengers?” a preteen fanboy asks Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.), his world-famous, terrorist-thwarting idol. The man inside the armor would rather change the subject, as the mere mention of “New York” or “wormhole” sends him spiraling into a panic attack. He’s haunted by the events of The Avengers, and so too is Iron Man 3, the first new Marvel movie released in the wake of that record-smashing hit. Joss Whedon’s crossover bonanza was designed to replenish the franchises that fed into it, goosing interest in the subsequent solo outings of its respective heroes. That’s a sound business model, but a backfiring entertainment strategy. Here, it’s hard not to wish Downey were sparring with his costumed comrades again, instead of trading barbs with the far-less-colorful cast members—old and new—of this busy, sporadically diverting sequel.

As in Jon Favreau’s dismal Iron Man 2, there’s no shortage of supporting characters hovering around the eponymous mogul-inventor. Although they share second billing, Gwyneth Paltrow (as love interest and business partner Pepper Potts) and Don Cheadle (as the government-sponsored War Machine, re-christened “Iron Patriot” for PR reasons) drift to the margins of the narrative. More prominent are the heavies, dragged in to test the mettle (and metal) of Downey’s saintly yet sardonic billionaire. In a plot turn that recalls the fallen-hero trajectory of The Dark Knight Rises, the minions of a bearded tyrant called the Mandarin (Ben Kingsley, whose hamminess serves a covert purpose) blow Stark’s mansion to smithereens. There’s also a scorned, rat-bastard scientist (Guy Pearce at his oiliest), and a posse of molten-skinned henchmen better suited to an X-Men movie.

New to the field of comic-book spectacles, writer-director Shane Black keeps all of this chaos churning at a breakneck pace. Hints of the filmmaker’s personality poke through the Marvel house style: The bookending narration is Kiss Kiss Bang Bang redux, and only the man who penned Lethal Weapon would think to include a passage in which Cheadle and a de-armored, gun-toting Downey bicker like buddy cops. Black’s most endearing experiment, though, is divorcing Iron Man of his iron. Never is the film livelier than when its hero, stranded in the boonies without access to his toys, has to rely on quick thinking and the kindness of strangers. (Amusing as always in the role, Downey seems to relish his time out of the suit.)

Less successful is the mandatory CGI mayhem, staged more confidently than in the Favreau films, but still borderline incoherent. In two hours and change, Black mounts only one truly spectacular setpiece: the annihilation of Air Force One, and the daring midair rescue of its plummeting passengers. Playful and awe-inspiring, the sequence also doubles as a metaphor for the way Iron Man 3, in its desperate attempts to please, frantically juggles so many characters and crowd-pleasing components. Whedon, a true believer in the medium, made that balancing act look easy. Pity it’ll be another two years, and at least that many interim single-hero installments, before he gets the gang back together.

Very Disappointing
mthlacerdaMay 10, 2015
I don't like to spend my precious time writing reviews, but this movie sure needs one. It's a shame for a studio that was going so great make a shame like this. They screw most of Iron Man's iconic features, made a movie full of plot holesI don't like to spend my precious time writing reviews, but this movie sure needs one. It's a shame for a studio that was going so great make a shame like this. They screw most of Iron Man's iconic features, made a movie full of plot holes and they actually had everything to not do that. The movie just didn't get worse because the it has top action with excellent visual effects (Marvel never fails on that) and also got great actors (the villains and Downey Jr are on form). It is a deception Expand
AaronDWassermanJun 26, 2015
Not such a great movie but not a bad one. The movie is full of plot holes and just confusing moments in the script. The banter between Downey and Ty is so fresh it almost makes it worth it.
adw55125Jul 3, 2017
Wow, I am so surprised at this movie. The marketing made this movie look epic and intense, complete opposite of how it actually was. This movie was a joke, slightly better than the second film.
aadityamudharApr 17, 2016
I have to say that this movie was a disappointment overall. Mandarin aside, which comic junkies will kill this film for, this movie just wasn't Ironman. Yes, there are a ton of Ironman suits, but Tony Stark spends more time being James BondI have to say that this movie was a disappointment overall. Mandarin aside, which comic junkies will kill this film for, this movie just wasn't Ironman. Yes, there are a ton of Ironman suits, but Tony Stark spends more time being James Bond than Ironman. The emotions and stress that Stark is dealing with is interesting, and the subtle references to The Avengers is good, but other than that, this movie had no real depth at all. The motives for the bad guys is not really evident, nor is the explanation of the extremis virus. One minute you have a glowing man turning into a bomb and the next you have 10 glowing guys who breathe fire and regenerate except when killed?!?!?!?! All the Ironman suits were cool but how they get to that point is pretty pointless. It was an ok movie, and probably better than the second one, but was more of a money grab than a great film. Expand
gameguardian21Aug 8, 2016
While it improves over iron man 2 ,it still turns out to be a disappointing movie that has very little iron man in it. Not only that, but the story falls in character motivation, villains, and things that make any sense.
nahtan1244Mar 9, 2016
A ok movie but marvel has done way better. Iron man 3 proves that marvel is not perfect. While a vast improvement over the second fim this movie delivers big on the action spectacle but falls short on expanding upon tony starks probelms.A ok movie but marvel has done way better. Iron man 3 proves that marvel is not perfect. While a vast improvement over the second fim this movie delivers big on the action spectacle but falls short on expanding upon tony starks probelms. While the mandarin was cool the plot twist was so poorly exacted. I know marvel is way better than this. As usual the guy who played the actual villain put on an incredibly uninspired performance. However iron man as i have mention before succeeds on the action front tony stark is great as iron man as always and gewneth paltrow is good as pepper potts. At the end of the day though Iron man 3 unfortunately falls short of marvels greatest films Expand
AaronWasserman1Mar 26, 2016
Un exciting, dull, boring and a lackluster sequel. Total disappointment, mainly caused by the trailers which made this movie seem epic in scale when really it was the smallest of the 3.
farzyy12Apr 11, 2016
Disappointing. After being very much excited for the film, it was a let-down.
As a whole, the film wasn't generally bad, not even close to being the worst. (Probably the worst Marvel Cinematic film though)
The first half was interesting
Disappointing. After being very much excited for the film, it was a let-down.

The first half was interesting enough to keep me reeled in, however the opening sequence already had me worried about what was going to happen. And I wasn't completely wrong either, it did pretty much ruin the entire character of the Mandarin as we ever knew him.

All that aside, it was great to see Tony suffering the events of The Avengers throughout the film, however it was all executed poorly. The humour felt very much out of place and majority of it just didn't belong in the film. When you are trying to show a character having PTSD, humour is probably not the best way to go about showing it.

Even though the Mandarin twist didn't surprise me all that much (more disappointing than surprising), it turned the character of Aldrich Killian to an average-type villain that just had no other motivation except that Tony ditched a meeting one night.

The fight sequences were enjoyable for the most-part. This film isn't bad, it's just average. Disappointing considering the talent involved.
Aaron_WassermanJun 1, 2016
MovieLover123Jul 17, 2016
This is the 7th movie into the MCU and still the writing is bad, the comedy is cheap and the villains are forgettable. Still these "critics" don't outright pan this piece of **** movies Kevin Feige vomits out?! What have we become as a specieThis is the 7th movie into the MCU and still the writing is bad, the comedy is cheap and the villains are forgettable. Still these "critics" don't outright pan this piece of **** movies Kevin Feige vomits out?! What have we become as a specie of supposedly intelligence when this piece of **** grosses a billion dollars worldwide, I guess one line comedy, a charismatic actor and appeal to the lowest common denominator equals box office gold. Done with the MCU until Black Panther in 2018. Expand
amai2739Jan 26, 2017
A new director takes on the reign to the Iron Man franchise, Shane Black. Iron Man 3 is better than Iron Man 2 but not on par with the first Iron Man. The film is a little darker and more serious than its predecessors but not by much.A new director takes on the reign to the Iron Man franchise, Shane Black. Iron Man 3 is better than Iron Man 2 but not on par with the first Iron Man. The film is a little darker and more serious than its predecessors but not by much. Entertaining adventure, some cool action sequences, with some surprises, let’s get right to the surprises. 1 of the notable twist was Ben Kingsley’s supposedly role of The Mandarin, wasn’t really The Mandarin, he was just an actor with substance-abuse hired by the real villain to fake it. As a long time, comic book fan, I’ve gotta say, that was truly a disappointing twist in the movie, disgusted by it. And that’s that. Expand
DarwinMC99Jul 5, 2017
Si bien es una película que da fan service con guiños a cómics, no es la conclusión esperada de la triologia que enamoro a los fans de los cómics con la primera película, que impresiono con la segunda, pero creo que marvel se confió en queSi bien es una película que da fan service con guiños a cómics, no es la conclusión esperada de la triologia que enamoro a los fans de los cómics con la primera película, que impresiono con la segunda, pero creo que marvel se confió en que seria aceptada esta secuela del superheroe millonario, el CGI estuvo excelente pero las falencias en la trama dejan con un mal sabor de boca, pero a pesar de sus errores es una película digerible... Expand
easilyatchaJul 18, 2017
the whole trilogy is very well made. always enjoyed the whole 'normal human becomes over-powered by a simple exo suit'-part but they diverge too much into the schematics and plagiarize Ironie's whole ideology in this.

64%