6.4

1. May 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A lot didn't seem to click with this movie, as with the previous Iron Man films. The villains are always so underdeveloped or underused to the point of asking, who is Iron Man fighting? After ruining Whiplash who was perfectly cast, they completely ruined Mandarin. I'm not a huge comic buff but I know enough to realize it was done poorly. That doesn't make the review though, the movie as a movie just wasn't good regardless. The run time of two hours and fifteen minutes felt like four hours and thirty minutes. There were a lot of parts that just didn't seem to matter. Additionally, there was a lot of screen time of Iron Man not being Iron Man. Where Tony Stark would sneak around like beloved secret agent 007 but I felt it really didn't fit the character. Especially since it didn't make any sense as later in the film we discover he had fifty Iron Man suits waiting under his house. Instead he decides to fix up the 42 and fight the baddies in human skin. The reason I disliked him being out of the suit is because we know he isn't trained like Batman/Bruce Wayne, Iron Man is the suit. On the topic of things not mattering, Mandarin attacking Iron Man's home. We all know he has a huge ego and endangered those he loved but of course being a super hero movie, nothing significant happened. We see that suits are blowing up but later in the film Jarvis commands like fifty more that are unharmed. The hero of the movie is Jarvis, his AI Jeeves. And this begs the question, if those suits were dormant underneath his house, why didn't he just call upon them while he was stranded in Tennessee? I guess there wouldn't be a movie then, right?
    As far as the humor goes, I definitely found myself laughing at parts which was nice but it also took away from the overall weight and depth the movie might have been going for. Instead of trying to save a president who is dangling high above ground or his girlfriend from evil clutches, jokes are being made about being shot at, etc. Thankfully though, all the bad guys suffer from stormtrooper syndrome. So Iron Man, basically Jarvis though, can save the day woo hoo! In the matter of Pepper, her purpose was to be injected and dropped into the fire so that she could live the drop and the fire haha. Saw that one coming but seriously, I hated that. I guess I just want a movie where a bad guy doesn't keep the hero's GF around as a trophy or doesn't give a long speech about how they're the best and just shoots them. Anyway, I'm a bit upset I spent a whopping $25 for two tickets to a movie my girlfriend and I were just begging to be over so we could go about our merry way. For whatever reason, I thought this would be different from Iron Man 2 but I don't know why I thought that. If you look at it with total disregard for comic canon, reality (i know it's a super hero movie), and sense; it can be kind of fun. Definitely a rent in the future and not worthy of the shelf!
  2. May 4, 2013
    My heart is successfully broken. Waiting to see it at midnight at the El Capitan, I watched with anticipation as director Shane Black took the stage to introduce, joking about the silliness of the Fantastic Four films. I now see the irony. Did they spray excrement all over The Mandarin? Yes, but that pales in comparison to everything else wrong with this film. Huge plot holes, failedMy heart is successfully broken. Waiting to see it at midnight at the El Capitan, I watched with anticipation as director Shane Black took the stage to introduce, joking about the silliness of the Fantastic Four films. I now see the irony. Did they spray excrement all over The Mandarin? Yes, but that pales in comparison to everything else wrong with this film. Huge plot holes, failed character motivation/development, and just downright bizarre and/or silly pointless choices are all factors. Worst yet, it also somehow manages to nullify the very theme of the previous movies. I'm not sure how the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe would ever recover from this slaughtering of tonal continuity.

One word comes to mind: Why??? It's as if Shane Black decided to insert Iron Man characters into an old 90's action thriller comedy script he happened to have lying around, throwing in silly, plastic dumbed-down "bad guys" from G.I. Joe and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. So many of the characters are pointless or have terribly weak, if any motivation for behaving like they do. Even the magical bravado of RDJ couldn't save it, and that's saying a lot. Of course there are funny and clever bits and some slick and cool action, but when a film has all that and loyal fans are still sitting there not caring or invested at all whatsoever, it's a problem. In any case, Black clearly doesn't get it, and apparently no one saw fit to help him out.

I suppose it's possible you could enjoy it if you are able to look past all these flaws and can watch it absolutely out of context from the comics, the other Iron Man movies, and entire Marvel/Avengers franchise. If not...it's painful. Needless to say, I walked away with nothing to think but "What the hell did I just watch?" "Was this FOX's interpretation of Iron Man?" "Whedon, WHERE WERE YOU??" Unfortunately, we now know nothing is truly safe, not even in the hands of Marvel Studios themselves. It really is a shame. Feige and the Marvel gang have a lot of explaining to do.
  3. May 4, 2013
    I've never felt so cheated after watching that trailer. I realise that a trailer is not an abridged version of a film, but when I seen the trailer to Iron Man 3 it set a certain expectation for the Mandarin, for Tony Stark but it totally does not deliver at all, and to be completely honest I almost walked out at the end such was the ridiculous finale. When I got home I watched theI've never felt so cheated after watching that trailer. I realise that a trailer is not an abridged version of a film, but when I seen the trailer to Iron Man 3 it set a certain expectation for the Mandarin, for Tony Stark but it totally does not deliver at all, and to be completely honest I almost walked out at the end such was the ridiculous finale. When I got home I watched the trailer again and it;s like it was made for a different film.

If this is our first look at Phase 2 I'm concerned. Iron Man 3 shows franchise fatigue, it felt stretched, rushed, basically like a Brett Ratner film. Expect something more like Rush Hour than an Iron Man film.

Credit to Marvel for at least trying to concentrate on Tony Stark's inner demons, the problem for me was how the film presents that. Instead of intertwining the action and human (Stark inner demon) elements into a finely crafted whole film it is more like each element is fighting for screen time, at odds with each other. There is another problem with the parts where Tony is trying to get over his experience in New York (Avengers), Robert Downey Jr has so many wise cracks and laughs the serious bits come off as funny, and not in a good way. I think these problems are less about RDJ's acting and more with how Marvel has marketed Iron Man from the first film; as family friendly entertainment, not the darker exploration of an alcoholic come hero from the comics (but hey they can always reboot right?).

Now on to what they did with the Mandarin, I have no idea how they got Marvel to sign off on making one of Iron Man's greatest villains into a joke. I read that the Mandrin is to Iron Man what the Joker is to Batman, but after watching this you would never know that. I've never witnessed such a disregard for a property and disrespect than what Marvel has done to this character and fans about what Fox does to X-Men? This is on another level of insult lol

A sorry excuse for a super hero movie, more an action comedy (Lethal Weapon, Rush Hour etc).
  4. May 3, 2013
    So Shane Black you hate comic-fans so much? Well... we hate you in return. Thanks for ruining our beloved hero with such an ease. I hope Marvel will never turn an eye on you. God damn it, Black. We are disappointed.
  5. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm pretty easy to please, and tend to like movies most others don't like, and movies most people do like. This was not one of those movies. They completely ruined the Mandarin, and the fact that Ben Kingsley was a complete hoax aside what was originally portrayed in the trailers reinforces the total disapointment that is Iron Man 3. They shouldn't have cast Ben Kingsley and his version of the "fake" Mandarin all together, and just ran with the burning orange bio-energy wielding Guy Pearce as the Mandarin instead. It would have had a cooler, less misdirecting feel with a better movie adaptation of a super villain.

The other, just as much if not more of a let down what how WEAK Iron Man was portrayed as in this movie. I know it's a typical comic book adaptation movie, where the hero deals with a new situation, gets the crap beat out of him/her, comes back and wins/saves the day/world. The whole movie Iron Man and Stark were like a joke, going through suits like toilet paper and getting crushed like tin cans. This is the SAME HERO that took on an ALIEN ARMY and a NORSE GOD, yet some freak science experiments are able to crush his suit like it's nothing?? This was all very underwhelming for what, in my opinion, wasn't even close to what an Iron Man movie should be like.

I hope he is better portrayed in the Avengers too, and my apologies to those who actually liked the movie, as I'm just stating my personal opinion in this review.
  6. Jun 14, 2013
    Tony Stark spent about 15 minutes total wearing the suit. Marvel needs to stop letting the actors walk all over them with the "I want people to see my face" thing. This movie was called Iron Man. If I wanted to see some guy using gardening gloves modded with junk he got at Home Depot I'd watch "Home Depot Modded Gardening Gloves Man." The only reason I gave this a 2 and not a zero isTony Stark spent about 15 minutes total wearing the suit. Marvel needs to stop letting the actors walk all over them with the "I want people to see my face" thing. This movie was called Iron Man. If I wanted to see some guy using gardening gloves modded with junk he got at Home Depot I'd watch "Home Depot Modded Gardening Gloves Man." The only reason I gave this a 2 and not a zero is because the honor of being the worst movie ever goes to Superman Returns. Expand
  7. Sep 23, 2013
    The worst movie from Marvel Studios yet! What a cop out with the Mandarin. Never have I witnessed a movie in the theater where people were booing at the end instead of clapping.
  8. May 29, 2013
    I saw Iron Man 3 last night, and first of all; it’s really disappointing to see a film series that started out so strongly reach to the unenviable level of mild entertainment, if even so. "A piping hot mess", as Tony Stark would put it. The tonal shifts, absurd plotting and the sheer level of disrespect for the source material (for all the geeks who care) made this summer blockbuster aI saw Iron Man 3 last night, and first of all; it’s really disappointing to see a film series that started out so strongly reach to the unenviable level of mild entertainment, if even so. "A piping hot mess", as Tony Stark would put it. The tonal shifts, absurd plotting and the sheer level of disrespect for the source material (for all the geeks who care) made this summer blockbuster a piping hot mess, indeed. Our new director on board is Shane Black and I must admit he did pretty good job in the way of characterizations in the first half of this flick. Tony's post traumatic stress disorder, from the events of 'The Avengers', was developing well. But, as the second half rolled in, things drastically change from being a character-centric event to a bloated non-stop action fest, which, mind you, wasn't even creatively staged. There seems to be a belief that more plot equals better story, but that bombardment of ineffective plot twists only regressed the story at hand. Being so focused on surprising the audience, I don’t think the writers were ever fully capable of telling a solid story and polishing the muddy motives of our paper thin villain. And I can’t leave here without mentioning those perennial bursts of “humor” which only functioned to pull the audience out of key dramatic moments. Overall the movie relied so heavily on build up but ultimately undid itself in several ways. This really showed how hollow this shiny hunk of metal really was. Expand
  9. Jun 14, 2013
    Complete garbage of a movie. This is a movie in which hollywood completely is milking the franchise and is just literally a set up movie for the avengers. No real thought into the main villain while destroying the mandarin which pretty much ruined this movie for me. I get the spin on mandarin but he is essential to the Ironman series, making a mockery out of him was a big no-no for anComplete garbage of a movie. This is a movie in which hollywood completely is milking the franchise and is just literally a set up movie for the avengers. No real thought into the main villain while destroying the mandarin which pretty much ruined this movie for me. I get the spin on mandarin but he is essential to the Ironman series, making a mockery out of him was a big no-no for an Ironman fan. The only reason why I didn't give it a zero is because of the suits and rdj. ALL IN ALL I'D RATHER WATCH PAINT DRY ON A WALL FOR 2 HOURS Expand
  10. Jun 15, 2013
    Too rated, boring, low action scenes. Only good is Robert and special effects. This is the point when MARVEL have to stop with this franchise. Could be better with a reboot.
  11. Jun 21, 2013
    Unfocused in its purpose, plot, and characters, Iron Man 3 is ultimately a disappointment. Perhaps its only highlight was the action and explosions, typical of most action blockbusters. It does get credit for framing the tale in a manner that explores Tony Stark's issues in balancing his superhero persona and normality. Otherwise, the jokes are stale and the characters one-dimensional.Unfocused in its purpose, plot, and characters, Iron Man 3 is ultimately a disappointment. Perhaps its only highlight was the action and explosions, typical of most action blockbusters. It does get credit for framing the tale in a manner that explores Tony Stark's issues in balancing his superhero persona and normality. Otherwise, the jokes are stale and the characters one-dimensional. Neither the villain (The Mandarin) nor Tony Stark seem to have a legitimate motivation or back-story to make the conflict legitimate. In the end, it becomes apparent the movie was made only to make money. Expand
  12. Jun 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ten Reasons Iron Man 3 was an absolute disappointment. Ranked in no particular order.

1) No AC/DC

2) Replaced Tony's Alcholism with Anxiety Disorder

3) Mandarin was fake and was completely misleading in the trailer

4) Apparently the suits no require a "charge" rather than pulling energy from the ark

5) Tony destroys all his suit because his grilfriend says so...

6) Kills Iron Man, Tony removes the ark and scrapnel from his chest, that apparently could not be done in IM 1 or 2, even though the entire second movie was about the ark poisoning him...

7) Extremis Goons could apparently more easily destroy Iron Man armor than the god of Thunder

8) Should have been called "Tony Stark 1 I can't do anything I use to do and barely where my suit."

9) 70's Spy Movie Montage for Credits

10) Bruce Banner unknowingly making commentary on the terrible movie by falling asleep to Tony'y retelling of it.

This movie is a terrible conclusion to one of the best franchises. Just don't see it.
  13. Sep 19, 2013
    I hate this movie is such a boring, overrated piece of ever made and the worst superhero film since Batman& Robin they ruined the mandarin who are suppose to be the greatest villains and the portrayed as idiots
  14. Sep 23, 2013
    The film was pretty much predictable. You would really know what will happen in the coming seconds or the next scene. I hate predictable movies. And pretty disappointed by the Mandarin to be a total bum. Could've been a badass villain.

Film contains too much action, no real emotions or anything.
  15. Sep 26, 2013
    Iron Man 3 was colossal: a colossal disappointment. I was squirming in my seat from the idiotic script and terrible direction. This fil practically ruins the francise and degrades the product. Jon Favreau did a wonderful job directing Iron Man 1 and 2, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Do us a favor: keep Shane Black far away from these properties! He alters Tony Stark's personalityIron Man 3 was colossal: a colossal disappointment. I was squirming in my seat from the idiotic script and terrible direction. This fil practically ruins the francise and degrades the product. Jon Favreau did a wonderful job directing Iron Man 1 and 2, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Do us a favor: keep Shane Black far away from these properties! He alters Tony Stark's personality with this pointless anxiety quirck. The FX was stupid and seemed to be thrown in to patch the poorly written and conceived script. The Mandarin character could have neen developed into something great in the hands of a capable writer and director: instead it is willfully forgettable. Awful, awful awful from every perspective that made Iron Man 1 and 2 so great. I am sorry for the great talent in this film which was mismanaged. I wish I could have previewed it and not bought the blu ray, which I thankfully got at a big release discount, but I think anything over $2.99 for. The blu ray is a rip off. Expand
  16. Oct 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a movie watcher, I enjoyed Iron Man 3. It is action packed, it's pretty, RDJ as Iron Man/Tony Stark is as always one of the best casting decisions for any comic book adaptation ever.

But as a fan of the comic books, I feel disgusted and betrayed. The Mandarin, and Extremis- two of the best things to ever happen in the Iron Man universe- aren't even shadows of what they were in the comics. They're completely unrelated to their comic book source material, in fact. Ugh. I held off watching the movie, avoided seeing it in theaters, because I knew the Mandarin couldn't be handled properly in our politically correct world, and I disliked Ben Kingsley as the Mandarin. Even though the trailer seemed to imply he'd be imposing and bring to the role his usual mastery.

The trailer was an outright lie. This movie took THE Iron Man villain, and made him a fraud. It showed the ten rings, for all of a second, and they turned out to be props. So awful. So disgusted, I want not just my money back, I want my time back. The Mandarin was one of Iron Man's most formidable enemies, and this movie made him a fake, played by "a stage actor" who's got a British accent and a recreational drug problem. REALLY?!?!

And Extremis. Let's talk about Extremis, one of my all time favorite story arcs and I have literally read almost all of them. This movie was written by someone who'd heard the word and thought it was a good idea. Aside from the fact that Extremis is unstable and can aid regeneration, nothing from the original masterpiece storyline remains. So if you watched Iron Man 3 looking forward to seeing the Mandarin's ten rings and the suit of armor Tony built into himself, you're out of luck.

Despite the fact that those two things are what the words "Mandarin" and "Extremis" promise.

This is by far the worst mainstream comic book adaptation. I wanted to love it. I really did. If they had called the Mandarin literally ANYTHING else, it would not have altered the storyline one iota, and yet they had to use "Mandarin"? WHY?! Same goes for Extremis, for that matter. If the serum had been called it would not have altered the storyline one iota.

It's like Shane Black and the other mongoloids who are responsible for this storyline WANTED to piss off fans. It's like they specifically made these choices in the writing of this film to piss on the greatest Iron Man villain and one of the greatest Iron Man storylines of 50 YEARS of the character's history.

While writing this review I have gotten even more angry than I was already, and the score dropped from a 5 to a 0, because the more I think about it, the more I realize that there is no reason for this shameless butchering of canon. Pathetic attempt to sell a comic book movie by someone who has no love and no concern for the comic book. Bottom line if you're looking to enjoy an action movie with Iron man, watch Iron Man or Iron Man 2 or the Avengers. Don't give Shane Black a dime of your money, and don't waste your time. I could pick apart why this movie doesn't deserve a solid rating, but the real reason boils down to the fact that the movie's creators pissed on their fans so thoroughly and shamelessly.
  17. Oct 12, 2013
    Unfortunately I am in the group of people who really wasn't a fan of this film, I went into it with the buzz of the avengers still going months down the line and it was all going quite well at the start, that was until about half way through the movie. I wont spoil anything, but it was disappointing for me, and I'm not even a fan of the comics. It feels to me like the film was written beUnfortunately I am in the group of people who really wasn't a fan of this film, I went into it with the buzz of the avengers still going months down the line and it was all going quite well at the start, that was until about half way through the movie. I wont spoil anything, but it was disappointing for me, and I'm not even a fan of the comics. It feels to me like the film was written be to many different people with conflicting ideas, and was a product of that. I still have high hopes for the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but this and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. looks like the beginning of the end for me as a fan of this series. Expand
  18. Oct 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Never before have I felt so cheated by a movie like Iron Man 3. The film is a colossal failure in my books and could arguably be my worst superhero movie of all time; that doesn't mean to say it isn't good in some parts.

SPOILERS

The first act itself is a great piece of cinema and gave what the trailer promised; easily the best part of the movie. It showed a much more stellar and well paced point in the movie that I myself actually applauded at, especially the scene where the helicopters blow up the house; but even the first act had flaws. For example, WHY DID HE GIVE THE MANDARIN HIS HOME ADDRESS??!! or how about WHY DOESN'T HE ACTIVATE THE 40 OTHER IRON MAN SUITS THAT ARE IN HIS BASEMENT WHEN THE HOUSE IS BEING ATTACKED??!! GOD!!!! But I digress, the first act was fantastic and really stood out to me promising more as the film went on.

And then it started to deteriorate with the second act, and who do I blame for this? That god damn kid! He had no other involvement in the second act other than to anger me to my boiling point! I know that Shane Black probably wanted a more child atmosphere to it but you didn't have to make him that annoying. All he does is piss Tony off, causes him an anxiety attack and then gets captured....WHAT?! This kid was one of the major hiccups in the film.

However, the biggest hiccup was the Mandarin himself; yeah you all knew I'd mention this. The Mandarin was the biggest and best feature about the trailers that were shown, he looked menacing, he looked frightening! This to me screamed: MOVIE OF THE YEAR! Sure his alien rings were gone but he still became a threat in the story and you could sense his presence. And then you get to his mansion and you meet him and......who the f*ck is this? The Mandarin was a phony! He was an actor! BEN KINGSLEY WAS PLAYING HIMSELF IN THIS MOVIE!!!!! WHAT THE HELL, SHANE BLACK???!!! This made me infuriated that if my girlfriend wasn't with me at the time, I WOULD HAVE LEFT THE THEATER!!! What was he thinking, did he just wake up one day and say: "I don't care about The Mandarin now, let's make him into A GOD DAMN JOKE!!" For me this is what ruined the movie for me, it was just so ridiculous and so insulting to any comic book fan who had detailed knowledge of the character.

And speaking of insults, the ending is just ridiculous. To sum it up in short words: Killian is the "Mandarin", Pepper kills Killian, Tony explodes all the Iron Man suits and gets the shrapnel out of his heart claiming he is a "changed man". That is the worst ending ever....THIS MOVIE SUCKS!!!

To sum it up in one word I would say "MESS", it is downright insulting to the comics, it's characters are bland at most points, it's development is pathetic and I hate it. The only good points that deserve the 2 points go to 2 separate things.
    1. The acting is spot on and Robert Downey Jr nails it as Stark much like he has done in the past films. There is not one actor who is off in this film and that is fantastic to see.
    And 2. The first act is mind blowing, it's what the trailers showed and that's what made me gravitate towards the film at first, even if it has flaws now and again. Truly great cinematography.

But is this film worth watching? I'd say yes, it's still an Iron Man movie and every movie with Iron Man in is usually a blast to sit through. It doesn't save it from my experience but maybe you'll find something better in that steaming pile of dog sh*t.

Pros:
    +Acting is great
    +Downey Jr nails it
    +First act of movie is amazing!

Cons:
    -THE MANDARIN TWIST
    -Act 2 and 3
    -Insulting and badly paced as the movie went on

VERDICT
  19. Nov 29, 2013
    That movie so bad, not only the choice of Mandarin, but the whole movie is a mess, is ridiculous and stupid moments with silly humor unfunny. This between 5 Worst Movies of 2013.
  20. May 9, 2013
    About one quarter of the way through this movie, it became painfully obvious that Robert Downey Jr's contract with Marvel was complete after Iron-man 3. He basically sleep-walks through the part and yes this movie disgraces the character The Mandarin. So much potential was seemingly thrown out the window on this one. Gweneth Paltrow said in an interview that Robert ad-libbed many scenes inAbout one quarter of the way through this movie, it became painfully obvious that Robert Downey Jr's contract with Marvel was complete after Iron-man 3. He basically sleep-walks through the part and yes this movie disgraces the character The Mandarin. So much potential was seemingly thrown out the window on this one. Gweneth Paltrow said in an interview that Robert ad-libbed many scenes in the first two movies but stuck mainly to the script on this one. You can tell. I took my son to see this and he left saying,"Now I hate Iron-man." Just an FYI- Robert wants 105 million to resume the role for Avengers 2. Studio is halting production due to salary talks. Lets hope they can fix this ego issue, cause I'm a big Downey Jr fan. Iron-man three was terrible. Expand
  21. Jun 20, 2013
    Far worse than the other two. Only our boozehound and drug addled hero actor offers any value at all. Much better off hiring the first one again. nuff said.
  22. May 6, 2013
    This is a very entertaining movie. It may not follow the comic book story as much as people (fans) wanted it to but as far as an entertaining action packed summer movie is concerned, it actually lives up to the hype. Iron Man was better and obviously so was Avengers but this is definitely a huge step up from Iron Man 2. Most people will love the movie but i can see why fans are dislikingThis is a very entertaining movie. It may not follow the comic book story as much as people (fans) wanted it to but as far as an entertaining action packed summer movie is concerned, it actually lives up to the hype. Iron Man was better and obviously so was Avengers but this is definitely a huge step up from Iron Man 2. Most people will love the movie but i can see why fans are disliking it a bit.

Overall for most movie goers, it is money well spent. Cant wait for Man of Steel in Imax though lol
  23. May 12, 2013
    Never seen such a boring movie. If you don't want to waste away money and time don't see this one. He's not even good for a family raining evening. I can't understand whot think is a good movie. He's annoying like Tony depressed. NEW YORK! And Stark screaming. Hate the way they ruin the Mandarin
  24. May 11, 2013
    This movie was an extreme disappointment to me. The quality of the Iron Man movies is dropping. While watching it it was great, but as soon as it finished and I got some time to think about what I just saw and I felt some sadness. The story was weird, the bad guys were weird and the whole movie felt off. Hadn't I seen the first two movies, I'd have given it a 7, but I know they can do better.
  25. May 4, 2013
    For general audiences: This movie is not worth the money unless you desperately need something to do over the weekend. The special effects are mediocre at best. Character development is weak. The jokes are incredibly lame, even for a superhero movie. If you can get past lack of plot and the visual mediocrity of this one, there are some suspenseful moments here and there. At 2 hours and 15For general audiences: This movie is not worth the money unless you desperately need something to do over the weekend. The special effects are mediocre at best. Character development is weak. The jokes are incredibly lame, even for a superhero movie. If you can get past lack of plot and the visual mediocrity of this one, there are some suspenseful moments here and there. At 2 hours and 15 minutes though, I got bored halfway through.

For fans: The Mandarin Ruined.
  26. May 9, 2013
    Look, I am a comic book fan from years ago. I know the story of the Extremis that was done and Marvel did make a motion comic of it. However, the plot is way off from the original Extremis material, the Mandarin is treated as a joke. Now, hats off to Ben Kingsley for the excellent acting, but come on...really, an out of work actor. That is the best you have Marvel??? Are you trying toLook, I am a comic book fan from years ago. I know the story of the Extremis that was done and Marvel did make a motion comic of it. However, the plot is way off from the original Extremis material, the Mandarin is treated as a joke. Now, hats off to Ben Kingsley for the excellent acting, but come on...really, an out of work actor. That is the best you have Marvel??? Are you trying to ground your movies with some air of "realism" because let's face it....you really can't ground these stories. But...let me start by making a point I read...so Aldrich Killian was really the Mandarin. So the Ten Rings that was mentioned in both previous movies were all his doing??? The plot hole is big enough for the Hulk to walk through. Let me summarize the point....Tony Stark created Aldrich Killian Mandarin by dissing him at a party and in turn, Aldrich Killian Mandarin creates Iron Man in the first movie by capturing Stark. Really doesn't make sense to me either. So, that being said, let us look at the action. Some of the action sequences were fun and the humor was nice. But, the point to an Iron Man movie is for Iron Man to be fighting right??? Since when did Tony Stark get all bad ass and could fight that well without the suit. It was a nice attempt but really did not work on the level that it needed to. Now, the finale...Tony Stark had the shrapnel removed. I don't understand the logic of why if it could have been done then why hadn't it been done.

So to summarize this movie...which is only slightly better simply due to the action sequences than IM2, this movie is lacking. Plot holes, horrible character development, removing the traditional comic lore from the movie and a crapstastic ending.
  27. May 3, 2013
    This movie had some good comedic parts. However, a lot of the jokes got old as they recycled them through out most of the movie. Unfortunately, I felt that the big twist in the movie was to set up a cheap laugh. While it was a funny scene, it detracted from the rest of the story. Iron Man 3 consistently prioritized humor at the expense of the story. I did laugh a few times, butThis movie had some good comedic parts. However, a lot of the jokes got old as they recycled them through out most of the movie. Unfortunately, I felt that the big twist in the movie was to set up a cheap laugh. While it was a funny scene, it detracted from the rest of the story. Iron Man 3 consistently prioritized humor at the expense of the story. I did laugh a few times, but overall I found myself wondering "what the hell is the point of this movie." The villains felt shallow, the heroes (i.e. Iron Man and War Machine) seemed absent, and a lot of it just kinda felt like a Tony Stark pity party. As a Marvel fan I have to give this film a 4, but honestly, if I was watching any other movie I don't see myself giving it higher than a 6. The people that I saw the movie with weren't as generous as me. It just missed the mark on so many levels. Expand
  28. May 4, 2013
    Slow and dull a number of times. Ben K worst roll and a true insult to his acting ability. A tired script doomed 1000 times. Too much RDJ out of the suit and really stark has pds I'm sorry he's been through hell numereous times now he has anxiety breakdowns aweful. Good action but terrible script.
  29. May 3, 2013
    This movie was okay, with a dash of disappointment.

This movie was okay, with a dash of disappointment.

If you absolutely love RDJ or the character of Tony Stark, you will love this movie. The character really shines in this film, doing so much more in this movie, and who is the main focus of this film (not Iron Man). Don Cheadle is still awkward and displays bad on-screen chemistry in this movie. Newcomers Guy Pearce and Rebecca Hall aren't any better, but Hall does have a very touching scene with RDJ.

There are some very good scenes that truly highlight the tone of the movie itself, but the writing in some of the scenes kill the direction they were going for. The worst parts of the film revolve around the big twist and in a few scenes that remind me of Iron Man 2. The big twist really starts nailing a coffin for the movie, while unexpected, kills what you would expect from all the trailers. And reminding me of Iron Man 2, a movie where they basically goofed off from the critical success of its predecessor, is already a bad sign that the movie started to take a downward dive into failure. I couldn't take it seriously, which was supposed to be the tone of the movie?

The humor is remarkably great, I even laughed a few times and really enjoyed it. Iron Man 3 borrowed already familiar elements, that being the Extremis storyline, Iron Patriot, and The Mandarin. They failed in properly using these great elements in this film, especially with The Mandarin.

Iron Man 3 was a film that was going in the right direction, using great elements from the comics to enhance the scale of it's story, but ultimately failed to deliver and didn't make a great entry into Marvel's Phase 2 of it's cinematic universe.
  30. May 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SPOILERS

What was it I just saw, a drug that turns people into invincible lava people, and a villain, that's not really a villain but an actor, a woman fall 1000 feet or more to the ground and live, at least 10 iron man suits run by remote control.
    Best scene Barrel of monkeys, worst scene everything else.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Iron Man 3 builds on the first film's political cynicism by suggesting that politicians and arms dealers dream up foreign policy crises to consolidate power and make money, but it doesn't develop this notion in detail, because if it did, the audience would tune out.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    May 3, 2013
    The action, directed by Shane Black, ranges from passable to interminable. The plot goes from clang to bang. Downey Jr. is still the best thing about this series.
    At least this time "Goopy" Paltrow gets to perform a few superheroics herself, along with enduring some heavy-duty torture that’s bound to please her haters — for whom the sight of the top of her face being peeled off in "Contagion" was like Christmas in July.