8.4

1. AndrewT.
    May 31, 2008
    Plenty of funny lines almost made this a comedy. Robert Downy Jr's delivery of these lines is totally spot on. The plot is cartoonish, as you would expect, but not so much that it ruins the experience.
  2. StenD.
    May 30, 2008
    Great movie. Robert Downey, Jr. really grounds this movie and he plays the role perfectly. The supporting cast was also outstanding: Jeff Bridges makes a villain that absolutely warms my heart (I love bad guys). One slight quibble - Gwenneth Paltrow is extremely appealing in her role, but she doesn't quite manage the screaming damsel in distress parts. Which is actually a compliment Great movie. Robert Downey, Jr. really grounds this movie and he plays the role perfectly. The supporting cast was also outstanding: Jeff Bridges makes a villain that absolutely warms my heart (I love bad guys). One slight quibble - Gwenneth Paltrow is extremely appealing in her role, but she doesn't quite manage the screaming damsel in distress parts. Which is actually a compliment - it's about time writers gave up on the tired cliche of the poor helpless female standing there and squealing in fright. A good story simply adds to the overall pleasure. Expand
  3. RyanA.
    May 3, 2008
    Simply one of the best superhero movies ever.
  4. ZeeM
    May 3, 2008
    There aren't enough words to describe how amazing this movie Is!!..I Can sleep well tonight!
  5. JohnS.
    May 3, 2008
    It was fun, funny, and the technology ideas fresh and interesting. It's a comic book movie, you can't judge it's social importance. It's great escapism for we, the Marvel faithful.
  6. TomE.
    May 3, 2008
    I really enjoyed this movie! They could not have cast a better Tony Stark!!!! Highly Recommend!!!
  7. JonH.
    Very good, great CGI
  8. NancyH.
    May 3, 2008
    I didn't believe Downey could pull it off, but he did. The movie was GREAT! Technology, plot, effects, character development....enjoyed every moment!
  9. AndyH.
    May 3, 2008
    I'm not a big superhero fan nor is my wife. In spite of that, we both absolutely loved it - as did our kids.
  10. RonL.
    May 3, 2008
    Super Fun! Also stick around after the credits. You won't want to miss "The Special Scene"
  11. ZacF.
    May 3, 2008
    movie was captivatingly entertaining with its witty dialog and blazing action sequences.
  12. JoeF.
    May 3, 2008
    It simply works. Giving it a 9 seems odd for me, but i can't find a major flaw in this film. It does its job with near perfection. The only reason i can't give it a 10 is the last action sequence isn't perfect or as exciting as it could have been. However, if you have seen this film, you know that it does not hurt the overall quality or enjoyment. It has a good ending It simply works. Giving it a 9 seems odd for me, but i can't find a major flaw in this film. It does its job with near perfection. The only reason i can't give it a 10 is the last action sequence isn't perfect or as exciting as it could have been. However, if you have seen this film, you know that it does not hurt the overall quality or enjoyment. It has a good ending otherwise. Oh... and stay after the credits. Expand
  13. DavidD
    May 3, 2008
    I am not a Iron Man fan. Actually, i don't even know anything about Iron Man. That being said, i did think this movie was pretty cool. Very nicely done. The only reason it does not receive a higher score is because i thought the ending with the boss fight was weak. It took away from Iron Man and how in the hell did the bad guy learn his craft on the first try where Tony Starks' I am not a Iron Man fan. Actually, i don't even know anything about Iron Man. That being said, i did think this movie was pretty cool. Very nicely done. The only reason it does not receive a higher score is because i thought the ending with the boss fight was weak. It took away from Iron Man and how in the hell did the bad guy learn his craft on the first try where Tony Starks' took time and practice? Did not make any sense. Expand
  14. DavidJ.
    May 3, 2008
    It was absolutely entertaining to watch Robert Downey Jr. play Iron Man, and the visual effects were just stellar. I only wish they had a real comic book villian but The Big Lebowski for a villian kinda compensates it (Jeff is just a damn good actor).
  15. RJR.
    May 3, 2008
    Best damn movie I've seen in a loooong time. Fun an liively, even the wife liked it. Well, having Downey Jr. in it didn't hurt for her....
  16. Annp
    May 4, 2008
    The movie was lots of fun and robert downey jr. was wonderful.
  17. TommyG.
    May 4, 2008
    I thought this movie was Awesome! It had a little bit of everything like comedy, action, sexuality ect. The story was not freakin' flat whoever said that. If you have not seen this movie I advise you to go and by a ticket NOW.
  18. RachaelL.
    May 4, 2008
    WOW! That's all I got to say... almost. The special effects were absolutely impeccable, the plot was original, and the movie had an astounding life to it! A friend of mine has never been the type to see 'superhero' movies, but when I brought her to Ironman, she fell in love with it! Yeah, it's that good.
  19. RodrigoS.
    May 4, 2008
    Downey jr. is as great an actor as edward norton, i hope marvel keep casting such tremendously talented actors for their susequent movies!
  20. BradG
    May 4, 2008
    Incredibly fun and beautiful to look at, but a terrible soundtrack.
  21. RonA
    May 4, 2008
    Great action movie with a fast pace.
    May 4, 2008
    With superhero movies, it's usually a hit or miss. The only movie of it's genre I didn't like was Batman and Robin (I mean, honestly, "Let's kick some ice?" What a terrible movie). Iron Man had everything it needed, great cast and director, to be good. And thankfully, this was very good. This is this year's Transformers, and so far the best film I've seen With superhero movies, it's usually a hit or miss. The only movie of it's genre I didn't like was Batman and Robin (I mean, honestly, "Let's kick some ice?" What a terrible movie). Iron Man had everything it needed, great cast and director, to be good. And thankfully, this was very good. This is this year's Transformers, and so far the best film I've seen this year. I give this movie a 10/10. Expand
  23. SteveF.
    May 4, 2008
    This clever, quick-witted, tightly scripted adaptation of yet another superhero movie may actually turn into one of the most respected and highest ranked movies in this genre
  24. EvanH.
    May 4, 2008
    Excellent movie. Excellent. No offense, but you really need to get a lobotomy if you don't want to see this movie. By far the best Marvel movie to date. Excellent acting, amazing special effects, great story, awesome action sequences, and it's pretty damn funny, too. What are you doing reading this review? Go see it!
  25. PatK.
    nearly perfect
  26. CJR.
    May 4, 2008
    Awesome movie with a great performance from Robert Downey Jr. Jon Favreau has made one of the top superhero movies ever up there with Batman Begins and Spider-Man 2 maybe even better!!! Fast pace, great humor, awesome action sequences go watch it!!
  27. AnthonyM.
    May 4, 2008
    One word to describe it, WOW!!!!!!
  28. DanA.
    May 4, 2008
    This is the best comic book adaption yet. Yes, better than Spider-Man 2 and Batman Begins.
  29. Ryan
    May 4, 2008
    Great movie. crappy music!
  30. Steve
    May 5, 2008
    This movie was amazing! Funny, exciting, and well made, I can't wait to go see it again.
  31. RoyS
    May 5, 2008
    Top notch superhero film, with my only wish being that they'd made better use of Black Sabbath's music (it's wasted in the end credits).
  32. AngK.
    May 5, 2008
    Expected another mediocre comic book movie and received an absolutely hilarious and entertaining piece of comic genius. If I wasn't sure about Robert Downey Jr. before, I love him now.
  33. MarcoC.
    May 5, 2008
    I found the movie very slow and did not impress with the special effect. After Transformers, Ironman should have been incredible, and it was not!!!! don't spend your money on this movie...it is not worth it!
  34. halb
    May 5, 2008
    Check your brain at the door and have a blast. Very entertaining for the genre. Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow are excellent. A fine mix of plot, character quirks, humor and special effects (not overdone for a change; until the ending). The climax is predictable and cliche'd, but otherwise this is a fine summetime (okay, springtime) escape.
  35. IronMan
    May 5, 2008
    This was an amazing movie! the special effects were irreplaceable the weapons and gadgetry were awesome and the suit was CRAZY best movie ever
  36. LindaW.
    May 6, 2008
    Finally, Robert Downy Jr. is back!
  37. AlexC.
    May 7, 2008
    I can't believe all the good reviews here Downey spends more than half the movie making the Iron Suit and making eyes at Gwenyth Paltrow. YAWN !!!!
  38. DavidV.
    May 7, 2008
    A fun summer movie with great special effects and performances. I found the last battle to a be a little anti-climactic though.
  39. RichardO.
    May 7, 2008
    Needed more action scenes, but altogether a sound movie. The trailers really gave up too much of what the movie was about. By the way, stay after the movie credits are over, there's more secret footage.
  40. KA
    May 7, 2008
    The worst. Another manichean cartoon using our sad political state to justify it's embarrassing and simplistic obsession with power.
  41. Traveller1976
    May 8, 2008
    Fantastic; refreshing. I finally belief in the flawed anti-hero on the big screen Downey and Favreau deliver a power punch yet delicate film one I will care about later.
  42. JG.
    May 9, 2008
    Surprise! This movie was actually great. Terrence Howard which normally is fantastic was a little campy and Gwyneth who played smart through out the movie had the dumb scary screen girl moment with cheesy lines, but the rest was awesome. Robert, who was always one of my favorite actors since his B/C-list days of "Tuff Turf" early 80s flick look it up, is back on top.
  43. AvicennaA.
    May 9, 2008
    Spectacular, funny, refreshing, and excellently crafted!
  44. JacobL.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Best of film of the summer. It deserves an Oscar.
  45. CliffB
    Jun 13, 2008
    Good for what it is, a comic book super hero movie. Much more enjoyable than the last Spider Man movie. I would like to see a less predictable story, but hey like I said, it is what it is and it does a good job doing it. I had doubts about them being able to pull of Iron Man with the masses. Great casting.
  46. ArmaganC.
    Jun 19, 2008
    Val Kilmer as Batman? No way..... Hugh Jackman as wolverine ? !00% right choice, has soul and hearth. Downey Jr. is Tony Stark ,nothing more or less ,with hearth and soul, like Jack Nicholson as Joker. Come on people, don´t throw some 2-3 rating for this movie , it is the first Iron man movie.There were many failures at Batman History and at the and we have majestic glorius Batman Val Kilmer as Batman? No way..... Hugh Jackman as wolverine ? !00% right choice, has soul and hearth. Downey Jr. is Tony Stark ,nothing more or less ,with hearth and soul, like Jack Nicholson as Joker. Come on people, don´t throw some 2-3 rating for this movie , it is the first Iron man movie.There were many failures at Batman History and at the and we have majestic glorius Batman Begins. Iron man will grow with a good placed sequel ,i have faith.Go to Cinema , watch it ,enjoy ,it is worth to do. Collapse
  47. ChuckN.
    Jun 20, 2008
    I though Iron man was a really good movie. It had action, humor and a excellent storyline. I can't wait when they make a second iron man in 2010.
  48. MinhN
    Jun 27, 2008
    Not what I expected. Some very very obvious product placement and not enough storyline but a decent film overall.
  49. BrandonT.
    Jun 27, 2008
    One of the best action films I've ever seen. Excellent acting and a gripping story with a well done script. I'm not a huge fan of superhero movies though and it didn't quite feel like a classic.
  50. MarkoJ.
    Jun 7, 2008
    I liked this one very much. Downing was great. I do wish that not every movie had to be about how corporations are evil, and the U.S. Government is evil. Maybe we could be the good guys? But the movie is pretty close to the books, and it was very entertaining and well done. A must see if you like smart action movies.
  51. Jester
    Jul 10, 2008
    Is anyone else out there getting sick of good actors taking paydays by getting dressed up in superhero costumes? Are we really facing a generation that has the maturity level of a 12 year old boy? In any case, I thought the movie was entertaining.
  52. KurtC.
    Jul 13, 2008
    Very good stroryline.Only problem is that obadiah stane is like santa claus with a shaved head and the iron monger armor looks like a hunk of scrap metal.Overall, its a very good film
  53. ChrisC.
    Jul 13, 2008
    A pretty good movie, with some obvious product placement, and some unrealistic CGI. What I cannot see though, is how IMDB managed to place Ironman in its top 250 movies of all time.
  54. MarkW.
    Aug 12, 2008
    Sure the plot line was not earth-shattering but this is a popcorn munching film based on a comic book. The humor, the characters, the action and the special effects are acting are more than supported by a simple but effective plotline. IMO better than the Spiderman movies and a different beast than the more introspective Batman Begins and Dark Knight.
  55. AndrewP.
    Aug 19, 2008
    Easily the best superhero film of the year, forget about any film that tries too hard to be dark and brooding - superhero films should be fun and this certainly is.
  56. JoeyZ.
    Sep 13, 2008
    Probably one of the best movies I've ever seen this year! Highly entertaining! You should definitely see this movie!
  57. Czar
    Sep 15, 2008
    It was ok - I expected more. The whole cave scene was silly - of all the things he could of done - why build a suit? The ending was boring and confusing. The film was entertaining but shallow in development and had some big holes in it.
  58. JayH.
    Sep 24, 2008
    The film obviously has a top notch production, the special effects are first rate, the art direction outstanding. Good performances. I do feel it was lacking in substance and clearly was not as enthralled with the film as most. It indeed is imaginative.
  59. AndrewK.
    Sep 24, 2008
    Tony Stark is hilarious! Great acting, great story, great Action! Very entertaining, can't wait to see what Marvel cooks up next. The Avengers, perhaps?
  60. ZackaryS.
    Sep 29, 2008
    I dont normally go around giving 10's out unless i really mean it and i really do mean it. this is the must own DVD of the YEAR!
  61. DaveH
    Dec 8, 2009
    Definitely an amazing film. No words to describe it.
  62. MasterOrb
    Apr 29, 2009
    Only one problem: the idea that you can tell terrorists you are building a rocket while imprisoned in their secret base but secretly build a huge metal suit, all while on closed-circuit TV, without them knowing. I know you're supposed to suspend your disbelief with comic book movies but this was so ridiculous that it really took me out of the film. besides that, it kicks.
  63. JohnW
    Oct 13, 2008
    Likely one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Pay attention to those that score this movie with a low rating; they're actually the ones who know what they're talking about. Movie Summary: over 45 minutes of watching our hero build the machine. If I wanted to watch the 'A-Team' again with B.A. Baracus I would, but I certainly wouldn't want 45 minutes straight. Likely one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Pay attention to those that score this movie with a low rating; they're actually the ones who know what they're talking about. Movie Summary: over 45 minutes of watching our hero build the machine. If I wanted to watch the 'A-Team' again with B.A. Baracus I would, but I certainly wouldn't want 45 minutes straight. He then flies away in his machine and is picked up by his American friends. Rest of Movie Summary: Our hero has a change of heart and decides to not build weapons for the military. Yet, of course he builds one for himself and carries on to destroy some badboy 'terrorists'. Our hero tweaks machine to perfect the machine. This process takes an additional 30 minutes minimum. Weak romance/humor displayed between our hero and his secretary. Villain of movie makes bigger version of the flying gayboy contraption. Villain of movie wacks our hero around for awhile, hero of course wins battle of the gayboy flying machines. This movie is utterly pathetic with poorly played 'terrorists' and scenes that dwelled far too long to get the point across. If I could get my money back, I would. Time not well spent. Oh, 2 points is awarded for the 'cool' sunglasses that I'm sure gayfanboys around the world will flock to buy. Expand
  64. DavidF
    Oct 17, 2008
    This is a movie I would have never seen, but for rave reviews of others. I'm glad I did. This is much better done than the typical comic-book sendup. A really great movie that keeps your attention throughout. A rare repeat for me, as I don't usually pay for a movie twice. I had to see this again!
  65. NickK.
    Oct 26, 2008
    First off, I have never seen a Robert Downey Jr. Movie before this one, so you can't call me biased. I loved the movie. It had it all. Romance, comedy, quick wit, and of course, action. This is THE best movie I had ever seen and I strongly disagree with those who gave it mediocre ratings.
  66. JJB.
    May 11, 2008
    I was surprisingly impressed. After all the comic book and super hero movies that have fallen very short, Iron Man definitely delivered. Slipping in a foreshadow of Iron Man 2 was also a nice touch.
  67. DougN.
    May 11, 2008
    Very well done. Liked the story development, humour, and updated story too.
  68. CindyK.
    May 11, 2008
    Iron Man was GREAT!!! Robert Downey Jr. deserves all the kudos he gets. I am a huge Downey fan and he is the one who made Iron Man a huge hit!!!!
  69. OrenK.
    May 12, 2008
    One of the best movies i have never seen! sometimes it gets a little to crazy but still is really good.
  70. MichelleB
    May 12, 2008
    A surprisingly original take on the superhero genre. Clever casting, irony and a wonderful Downey make even the clunky "escape from captivity" sequence and predictable "oh here's the ring on the evil villain" scene--plausible. This movie thrills the eye and gives geeks and cool kids something to applaud.
  71. TiernanS.
    May 15, 2008
    The strengths of this film are numerous. It's got a funny, sharp, fast, and witty script and a terrific and inspired performance by Downey Jr., complemented well by Paltrow. Strangely, the best action happens before the climax as Downey discovers the flying machine warrior wihin and escapes captivity. Bridges' villian is unfortunately rather bland and sterile. His character The strengths of this film are numerous. It's got a funny, sharp, fast, and witty script and a terrific and inspired performance by Downey Jr., complemented well by Paltrow. Strangely, the best action happens before the climax as Downey discovers the flying machine warrior wihin and escapes captivity. Bridges' villian is unfortunately rather bland and sterile. His character establishes the requirement for a villian, but doesn't really inhabit the film as a truly necessary story element, which is pretty odd. The final showdown is actually a tad hokey and stagnant, and that's surprising for such an otherwise stellar super hero movie. Great entertainment nonetheless. Expand
  72. NeilW
    May 18, 2008
    This was the best comic book based film I have ever seen. It was so well done that you never say to yourself 'that is so unreal' --- even if it is in real life. It takes quite an exceptionally well done production to make you focus on the story at hand, and keep you involved and Iron Man does that easily.
  73. ChrisT.
    May 19, 2008
    This is quite possibly the best movie to come out of the Marvel franchise.
  74. JaimeL.
    May 21, 2008
    This has honestley been the best movie marvel has made. It gets staright to the point and the effects are great. Its a movie that people dont get tired of watching overs and overs again. Since this movie is so great the sequel will do even better but until then this is the movie that hasnt been beatin.
  75. GRig
    May 23, 2008
    The movie was fantastic but i feel that it had the same anticlimactic ending as the first fantastic 4 movie. I wanted more of the suit action!
  76. ToreyA.
    May 27, 2008
    The movie was good stupid fun with a pretty good plot line that gets ruined by a horrible climax.
  77. DD
    May 28, 2008
    Great Movie and can't wait for Part 2!
  78. StevenP.
    May 28, 2008
    I loved this movie, it told a good story and and great effects and i cant wait to see the next saga
  79. DevonC.
    May 29, 2008
    Iron Man was pretty good, but not surprisingly amazing. Yes it has an uprooting sense of plot, which is somewhat predictable but widely engaging. It isn
  80. NeilB.
    Jun 12, 2008
    Great film. Can't wait till the next one.
  81. AJW.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Clever set piece action with an engaging style. A good example of how to do big-screen superheroes right.
  82. BradleyH.
    Jun 15, 2008
    The movie was great. Special effects were done really well. It was a long movie but I wish it were longer.
  83. TylerS.
    Jun 16, 2008
    The acting and casting was perfect. The director did a great job bringing the mythos into the modern age. The armor was fantastic and the design was true to comics. Can't wait to own the super special deluxe DVD.
  84. DavidC.
    Jun 17, 2008
    One of the best superhero movies ever created. RDJ plays the part perfect. This is our next Spider-man quality franchise (lets just hope it gets better with time rather then down the road Spider-man went).
  85. JuanV.
    Jun 19, 2008
    this movie was very spectacular due its special effects, the intelligent argument of alone scientist creating such a wonderful mechs and for great playing of Robert Downey The final fight was just amazing and its worth the jod done.
  86. DavidH
    Jul 29, 2008
    One of the best features of this film is the selection of Robert Downey for the lead role. He is such a good match on both a professional as well as a personal level. If you're tired of comic-based movies, this one will resurrect you. It is incredibly entertaining, understandable plot, not too long and not too short. Paltrow makes a good female interest subject for Downey, but it One of the best features of this film is the selection of Robert Downey for the lead role. He is such a good match on both a professional as well as a personal level. If you're tired of comic-based movies, this one will resurrect you. It is incredibly entertaining, understandable plot, not too long and not too short. Paltrow makes a good female interest subject for Downey, but it doesn't get too bogged down with romance. A fun movie and you feel good on the way out of the theatre. Expand
  87. MattH.
    Aug 12, 2008
    Great cast. Some truly funny lines. Iron Man 2 will hit a home run. This is just the warm up.
  88. NealV.
    Aug 27, 2008
    Greatest super hero adaptation to date. Done very well and acted superbly!
  89. hollyf
    Jan 13, 2009
    So it took me forever to eventually see this film. By then I'd already seen The Dark Knight twice in theatres and my friend had already bought the Iron Man DVD. I'm actually not a fan of superhero movies at all, but more a fan of the actors in those movies. Now, bear with me but the problem with TDK is the heart of that f-ing movie is sucked out in a vortex of doom and f-ing So it took me forever to eventually see this film. By then I'd already seen The Dark Knight twice in theatres and my friend had already bought the Iron Man DVD. I'm actually not a fan of superhero movies at all, but more a fan of the actors in those movies. Now, bear with me but the problem with TDK is the heart of that f-ing movie is sucked out in a vortex of doom and f-ing gloom. In comparison, I ADORED IRON MAN! I love characters, I love actors and assembled in this picture are amongst the most lovable of both. I was constantly entertained, the film WASN'T a half an hour overlong *cough*Thedarkknight*cough*. I have begun an obsession with RDJ because what an amazing and interesting man. No matter what film he's in, he's the best thing in it. The first 3/4 I was so engaged and interested and in love with everybody in it. I love origin stories best, mostly because I got see RDJ in a muscle shirt and full of dirt (oh yeah!). Only problem is the final fight sequence. It lacked a certain sense of epicness (yes that a word now). It was a lot of banging and clanging and I didn't feel satisfied by that final fight scene. The last few scenes in the movie and mint! Go and see! Expand
  90. R.Lopez
    Mar 31, 2009
    Iron-Man, one of the greatest superheros that has ever graced the comic book scene has finally mad it to the big screen in ones of the best and most successful comic book adaptions ever made, Iron-Man proves to the world that he's a hero that's built and not born. Iron-Man stars Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark an ultra rich, genius weapons designer who has everything he wants Iron-Man, one of the greatest superheros that has ever graced the comic book scene has finally mad it to the big screen in ones of the best and most successful comic book adaptions ever made, Iron-Man proves to the world that he's a hero that's built and not born. Iron-Man stars Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark an ultra rich, genius weapons designer who has everything he wants and nothing at all, while Tony is demonstrating a new weapons of his he is captured by a group of terrorist who want him to build the very same weapon, now Tony has to use all his wits and genius to get out alive and his escape comes in a very familiar way, a high tech suit of armor made by him and his captive friend and assistant Yin sin. After Tony returns to civilization he decides not to make weapons anymore and uses his new found suit of armor to protect the innocent from the terrors of the world. Iron-Man is a high tech, high flying sci-fi action comedy that won't let you down until the movies over, Jon Favreau brings his own style to an old friend and turns Iron-Man into a truly jolting and explosive experience that you just can't miss. This film succeed beyond everyone's expectations, no one thought that Robert Downey, Jr. could carry this movie, much less alone portray a hero that's been in our consciousness for over 40 years. But amazingly he pulls off an outstanding performance that's sure to make you accept him as Iron-Man for years to come, this movie is exciting, daring, funny & witty and is a perfect treat for comic book fans alike. Iron-Man is still and will always be one of the best hero's out there hands down. Expand
  91. RobertM.
    Aug 25, 2009
    One of the best Marvel flicks to come out. Great cast and great vision by Favrou make this one loved and enjoyed by all even the naysayers.
  92. Aug 11, 2010
    Jon Favreau's "Iron Man" was a film no one I knew believed in mainly due to the star of the film Robert Downey, Jr. playing the lead as the eccentric and ever so quirky hero Tony Stark. But after hearing much hype and seeing the praise it received from critics and audiences my dad and I went to the theaters to the see the much hyped " Iron Man", I walked in slightly skeptical of theJon Favreau's "Iron Man" was a film no one I knew believed in mainly due to the star of the film Robert Downey, Jr. playing the lead as the eccentric and ever so quirky hero Tony Stark. But after hearing much hype and seeing the praise it received from critics and audiences my dad and I went to the theaters to the see the much hyped " Iron Man", I walked in slightly skeptical of the film not knowing of the talent of Robert Downey Jr. or Jon Favreau. I remember sitting there as the lights dimmed wondering if this film is going to live up to the hype it has established or even be worth the sixteen bucks. As the film rolled on, I sat there in awe of this magnificent and glorious science fiction/superhero thriller. "Iron Man" is a fast paced, outrageously funny, dark, complex and witty thrill ride that not only single hand revive the career of Robert Downey, Jr. but shot him straight up into the stratosphere of fame It's the kind of film that the minute it's over you want to see it again. Then when it ends a second time, you want to see it a third time and then a fourth. Hell you will want to see it as many times as you can it is just too good to ignore or hate. "Iron Man" takes off at a thousand miles per hour and pulls the audiences in on the ride of a lifetime with breathtaking special effects, mind-blowing action, outrageous plot twist and RDJ. leading it all the way to the number 2 spot amongst comic book adaptations solidifying it as one of the best and showing the world Robert Downey Jr.'s talent. I loved the wit and charm of this movie, I loved the grittiness and dark complexity of the characters it seems everyone of them has there own problems in one way or another they all are dealing with emotional problems which makes them a real class act of complicated characters. The film draws it strength from its characters it feeds off there power , there emotions it uses them not only as actors but as the main power source for the films ferocity and drive there crucial to it and the with the wrong actors this film would have fallen apart faster than those boy bands from the 90's. Thanks to brilliant casting and phenomenal direction from Jon Favreau â Expand
  93. Nov 6, 2010
    Smarter than your average superhero movie, Iron Man is very entertaining, largely in part because of its strong leads, clever dialogue and realistic characters. It's really too bad the sequel was so disappointing.
  94. Aug 21, 2010
    i knew nothing about iron man till i seen this film . as comic books to movies go this is one of the better ones . really i was very sketch on this espicialy with robert downy jr. i wasnt sure if he could pull it off but he did . he came across very well as tony stark as this lovable self absorbed jerk. who was actually pretty funny and entertaining to see . there was some good actiion ai knew nothing about iron man till i seen this film . as comic books to movies go this is one of the better ones . really i was very sketch on this espicialy with robert downy jr. i wasnt sure if he could pull it off but he did . he came across very well as tony stark as this lovable self absorbed jerk. who was actually pretty funny and entertaining to see . there was some good actiion a pretty decent plot . my gripes are though there just wasnt enough action . the final battle seemed way to short . still though it was a fun film and downy kept it entertaining enough through the actionless parts. Expand
  95. Aug 17, 2010
    Iron Man stands in my mind as the greatest super hero film released thus far. With a phenomenal mix of great acting, near-perfect special effects, humor, and story, this film simultaneously gave me hope that future Marvel movies might actually be good, and brought the wonderful Robert Downey, Jr. back into the limelight. As a character, the protagonist, Tony Stark, is in every way theIron Man stands in my mind as the greatest super hero film released thus far. With a phenomenal mix of great acting, near-perfect special effects, humor, and story, this film simultaneously gave me hope that future Marvel movies might actually be good, and brought the wonderful Robert Downey, Jr. back into the limelight. As a character, the protagonist, Tony Stark, is in every way the perfect vehicle for Downey, Jr. as he assuredly inhabits the role and plays it out to its limit. Pushing the boundaries at every turn, Stark is a chauvinistic, rich, pompous ass of a man. However, unlike his would-be DC counterpart in The Dark Knight, he is actually more entertaining to watch in many respects than his superhero alter ego. Stark manages to be both funny and endearing throughout the film- a brilliantly written script from Fergus, Ostby, Marcum, and Holloway makes every scene both witty and often-times hilarious, without being campy. I found myself eagerly awaiting Downey, Jr.'s next impeccably delivered line as much as I looked forward to seeing the suit. An all-star cast is used to the fullest, with solid performances from both Jeff Bridges, Terrence Howard, and Gwyneth Paltrow, even if they were a bit under-utilized. I enjoyed the fact that this movie also adhered pretty closely, if not entirely, to the comic storyline. At the very least, they captured the essence of a lesser-known superhero and made him appeal to the general public. In a nice little tribute to avid readers, Iron Monger is portrayed in this film as the main antagonist. Unfortunately, I would say where Iron Man trips up the most is in the story. The climax of the film, though mostly satisfying, leaves something to be desired. This is because prior to this action sequence, there are brilliant set pieces that are used in other battles, and the final fight doesn't match up. However, the final scene wraps up the movie beautifully and leaves us wanting more- unlike a movie starring a certain Caped Crusaderâ Expand
  96. Sep 1, 2010
    Playboy, weapons owner, inventor bloke lives it large until he gets caught by enemy soldiers in the Middle-East. Escapes A-Team style, finds out his company are doing dodgy arms deals, becomes a super hero.
    Really enjoyable Marvel romp, good script, great effects & a decent story despite being predictable. Downey Jnr is perfect as the lead & is supported well by Gwyneth Paltrow, Terrence Howard & the fantastic Jeff Bridges.
    Nicely set up for a sequel.
  97. Dec 5, 2010
    Amazing movie. Iron Man is a great superhero and character. Each character is developed nicely, each action scene is nicely done, each actor did great in their roles, and it has a great optimistic tone to it which helps the entertainment factor, which is high.
  98. May 12, 2015
    Surprisingly Iron Man is great. The film takes a secondary comic book character and makes him awesome. The film focuses Tony Stark not Iron Man showing him going through a redemption story and he is fun to watch. The action is great and the film manages to avoid the excessive goofyness and seriousness that has plagued earlier comic-book films. The focus on characters over action makes itSurprisingly Iron Man is great. The film takes a secondary comic book character and makes him awesome. The film focuses Tony Stark not Iron Man showing him going through a redemption story and he is fun to watch. The action is great and the film manages to avoid the excessive goofyness and seriousness that has plagued earlier comic-book films. The focus on characters over action makes it easy to forget that this is a comic-book movie. Iron Man is a fun stand alone summer-blockbuster and the end credits scene adds a nice bonus as its part of a bigger story. Expand
  99. Oct 6, 2010
    I liked the movie, but felt it was a bit overrated. I didn't see what was so special about Robert Downey Jr. And for the record, the Dark Knight is a much better movie.
  100. Oct 18, 2010
    Such a welcome and unexpected surprise as Iron Man defies expectation and turns out to be something quite special. Exceptionally cast; Robert Downey Jr. steals the show and blows away all the other competition. It's very funny, action packed and although it may lack a overall plot, Iron Man turns out to be a fun filled ride that you half wish would never end.

1. Downey plays off his own bad-boy image wonderfully. The writers give him great lines to work with and ditto that for his Girl Friday, Gwyneth Paltrow's Pepper Potts, whose own svelte lines cannot be improved on.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Ever-eclectic director Jon Favreau, who briefly pops up onscreen as a Stark minion, maintains a brisk but not frantic pace, and, in concert with lenser Matthew Libatique, production designer J. Michael Riva and the first-rate visual effects team, has made an unusually elegant looking film for the genre.
  3. Loyal assistant, Pepper Potts, isn't much of a part, but Gwyneth Paltrow is a presence. She stands around looking amused and flabbergastingly pretty, slinging wisecracks with serene aplomb.