6.3

1. Dec 21, 2012
    Not sure why this was rated over 60% on Rotten Tomatoes. This movie is terribly paced, the story is ridiculous and frankly the whole blonde damsel in distress scene was over the top. Some scenes just drag on too long and others feel like they should have been cut out all together. This is one of those movies you watch when it's free on TV and you have nothing else to do.
  2. Dec 21, 2012
    This was one of the worst movies I have ever seen and it was so bad in fact that I purposefully created an account on this site just so I could talk about how terrible it was. I feel like I threw away two hours of my life and will never get it back. The lead actress was wooden and laughable, as if she were trying to emote with a face-full of Botox. Tom Cruise was standard Tom Cruise. I got so angry by the end at the fact that I had to sit through this pathetic movie that I threw my bottle of water on the floor. Expand
  3. Dec 21, 2012
    Please don't waste your money on a ticket to Jack Reacher. I think some of these movie studios could save a lot of trouble, if every year they would just release a movie entitled "Generic Tom Cruise Action Movie". This has to go down as one of the worst casting errors in film history. The premise is just so silly; Tom Cruise is what about 5' 7"... my grandmother could kick his butt. I don't know if I'm more disappointed with Cruise, the film studio, or Lee Child, the author of the Jack Reacher novels. I guess the only people that might find this movie tolerable are people that don't read books. Lee Child's series of books featuring this character are not exactly Melville, but they are entertaining and one thing you don't forget is his character development. If you know the stories, then you know this is a little bit like casting Cruise to play the life story of Hulk Hogan. You don't have to take my work for it; look up a facebook page called "Tom Cruise is not Jack Reacher". Collapse
  4. Apr 19, 2013
    A movie that failed to make me care about the story at all, characters were empty and uninteresting and even thou this movie had a few scenes that were pretty well done i still found myself looking at my watch time and time again hoping this would eighter pick up or just end.
  5. Dec 28, 2012
    Tom Cruise was just a bad choice. The dialoge from the start didn't match the actor who has no depth to acheive the Reach Character. This was just a movie made for a shallow actor's skills and I was hoping for more, but got a lot less. Fortunately I had a free pass to the movie or I would be really pissed off.
  6. Dec 22, 2012
    What a joke. Did the people who made this movie even look at the books, let alone read them! A violent mish mash of badly passed scenes full of cliches. Tom Cruise id a midget compared to what the character is supposed to be. Not to mention WAY to much plastic surgery and botox. Relay violent, and cliched, with no satisfaction to be had. Save yourself the money, and if you must see this, wait for it on cable, which may show up as early as next week considering how terrible it is. Expand
  7. Dec 23, 2012
    The movie started off kind of ambiguous, but as soon as Tom Cruise's character dialogue started, I knew it was going to be bad, and it was.

Jack Reacher is this thin, but unflinchingly arrogant (rightly so) all around badass. Close to super hero status. Everyone else in the movie has a hard time keeping their wits, but Jack Reacher shows everyone their ignorance, and gets **** done.

Jack Reacher has one mood/tone/persona, and it never changes. The movie presents about every five minutes that it has blown your mind, but it is completely underwhelming, predictable, and cheesy.

The two points I did give the movie were because of Rosamund Pike, who I
  8. Apr 19, 2013
    Just stopped watching after twenty minutes. Nothing seemed even remotely believable and the lawyer and Reacher characters dialogues were outright ridiculous.
  9. Jan 22, 2013
    You may be mystified by the unknown character of Jack Reacher, but this film is completely and utterly unbelievable. Its hard to even suspend our reality to get into the movie because the immersion sucks as we are forced to call this movie on all the holes it has. I could name three or four instances of storyline that does not make sense. Terrible movie.
  10. Dec 28, 2012
    This is like a bad CSI show with more guns. Boring halting cliched dialog. Every crime film cliche you can imagine. No depth at all with any character. Tom Cruise cannot do Arnold or Clint. Too many other good movies out now to waste your time and money on this. Stay home and watch Law and Order or CSI. More entertaining.
  11. Apr 22, 2013
    What a load of rubbish. This flic has the most rubbish dialogue ever. It just feels unnatural and rehearsed.
    It makes me wonder if anyone who partook in making this piece of garbage, have ever had a real life conversation. What's up with the eyes of that lead actress? Is she constantly on cocaine?
  12. Jan 9, 2013
    This movie is just too fake. Cheesy lines with illogical scenes. It doesn't matter anymore if it's starring Tom Cruise or any good actors.. If the plot and scripts are bad, then the movie is bad.
  13. Jan 10, 2013
    I just knew not to watch this film,thought i would give it the benefit of doubt ,IT IS TERRIBLE nothing like the book shame on lee childs for selling out,what on earth is Tom cruise thinking he can get away playing the part of a 6.5 foot military police man he is a whole foot shorter,nothing like the books,just a ego trip for Cruise S H I T E
  14. Jan 27, 2014
    Jack Reacher is a waste of two hours and 10 minutes, it might look like a standard shooting gallery but it managed to be even worse than that given the fact that the movie is slow, which is a surprise cause these type of movies tends to be fast, plot-less and stupid. this one is slow,plot-less and stupid.
    i mean it's not a crime movie, diffidently not an action movie and most importantly
    it's not an enjoyable movie. Expand
  15. Aug 9, 2013
    Not entirely sure that it was a great idea for the lead macho man to be so unemotional and so distant from the viewer that the film transcends to an unflinching unraveling of a sequence of events that lead into the salvation of the audience from boredom as the credits roll in.
  16. Apr 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After the first five minutes, this starts to feel like a bad comic book flic. You'd think with millions dollars budget they could've made something reasonably believable with a coherent plot. As it is, the movie is just idiotic, unrealistic, and badly played. The characters are ridiculous from the "good lawyer" to the oddity of the Russian ex-con villain. No character development whatsoever. Crazy predispositions all throughout. And the whole thing ends with the "bad guys" getting together waiting for Tom Cruze to come and get them, pretty much one by one. Yeah, sure... Expand
  17. Apr 20, 2014
    We only got through 20 minutes of this movie because of how poor it came across.. direction, screenplay, acting all left a lot to be desired. Have never read or heard much about the books so just going from the movie on its own - very poor. Urgh piano music - oh im meant to feel emotive now because some stupid piano is playing. Not very deep or thought provoking but we only saw 20minutes.
  18. Aug 30, 2013
    Worst casting of any movie ever. Lee Child is an absolute douche for allowing Tom Cruise to play the protagonist from his books. Could have made an excellent bunch of movies on his books but casting Cruise in this first movie has killed any chance of that happening.
  19. Oct 9, 2013
    Thought this was going to be an old-style hero kicks-ass and blows everything up doing it, but instead it's a murder mystery with Tom Cruise out of his element in this type of mixed role. Seriously, much of this film could've played out on an episode of Dateline: NBC which specializes in murder mysteries. I wouldn't say it's a waste of time but keep your expectations decidedly low.
  20. Feb 12, 2014
    Cheesy dialogues? Cliche characters? Unconvincing slow fight scenes? Predictable plot twists? Outright boring car chase? Wannabe "bad-ass" Tom Cruise? All of that is Jack Reacher, the most generic bull **** movie I've seen in a while, and I warn you from doing the same.
  21. Jan 21, 2013
    Despite the exaggerated and absurd situations in the film and the screenplay´s silly moments, Jack Reacher has its qualities. Starting with Werner Herzog, who is a good villain, he is threatening and scary (and sometimes unintentionally funny, because of the horrible dialogues). Tom Cruise tries hard, but delivers an very over the top performance. The opening scene creates good suspense, but it´s pay-off is so disappointing. The best scene is the stylized car chase. But after all, despite all the films efforts, Jack Reacher is definitely not a must-see. Expand
  22. May 10, 2013
    This was the worst case of miscasting in order to get a star's name. I read every Jack Reacher novel and this movie was based on the best One Shot. Jack Reacher is over 6 foot tall and Tom Cruise is 5 foot 7. If this movie was made 10 years ago Jack Reacher would be played by Arnold Schwarzenegger
  23. Jan 8, 2013
    What was Tom Cruise, the big blockbuster movie guy known for trillion dollar franchises like mission impossible doing in this half-baked piss poor movie that just reeks of being rushed for the holiday season? Personally, I would have rather paid to see the Guilt Trip (yeah, its that bad) but my buddies bought my ticket for me.

Basically, some dude picks off a bunch of dudes GTA-style
    and falls into a coma after name dropping some other mysterious dude who apparently makes people gush, blush, get their panties in a bunch or go berserk or all of the above. No one knows who he is or what he does or where he's from or how he got there but instantly he's a private investigator, an MMA street fighter, a hypnotic with the power of persuasion who can get people to just hand over their cars, information and other stuff for no reason at all. All the ladies want to sleep with him and all the guys want to beat him senseless. Who is he? He's Jack Reach Around...errr...Jack Reacher. But who cares? Action? What action? There's 3 fights in the entire movie....and that's it. The rest of it is all investigative mumbo jumbo and legal crap that makes you wish that CSI (which it clearly got its influence from) never happened. And apparently its totally cool with the cops that Mr. Reacher shoots people, breaks into homes, steals cars and bangs the D.A.'s daughter. Remember, he's got the power of persuasion...awwww yeah.

Honestly this movie sucks. It's not worth seeing at the cinema. You'd do better to wait for it on-demand or netflix or something. It's easily among the most forgettable movies of 2012.
  24. Jan 9, 2013
    This was the worst movie I have ever seen that has been made from a best selling book. I have been so disappointed by the lack of integrity to the book that I created this account on this site just so I could talk about the film. I feel like I threw away two hours of my life and will not be wasting my money on watching any future Jack Reacher movies. The lead actress was poor. Tom Cruise was a standard foot to short to play this role with huge segments of the book missing and even entire characters missed out of the film. Expand
  25. Jan 11, 2013
    I have read all the jack reacher books and this movie seemed to disappoint me. Jack reacher is a 200 pound 6 foot male. they brought tom cruise, a 5 foot 4 140 pound male. Why make a movie when your main character resembles nothing to the book character(except the fact that he still is a very skilled assassin). over all i give it a 4
  26. Mar 24, 2013
    Possibly the worst character casting of any book to film movie. This version destroys the only main character of the book and therefore renders the movie laughable. If you are a Lee Child fan, stay away from this film and retain your original character. Tom Cruise sucked also.
  27. Oct 2, 2013
    Well its not as bad as some of the other movies I've seen recently but it is kinda boring, was expecting more action but it is watchable if you don't have anything else to do.
  28. Dec 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Jack Reacher is a movie that doesnt deliver its expectations a louzy plot and Tom Cruise preformence is non inspirational and emotionless he was acting as a military profesional and Helen Rodin played by Rosamund Pike i the only thing i liked she played as a defense attorney trying to defend her emplyer James Barr Accused of murdering five people on a parking lot with a sniper rifle and jack was hired to help him the assassin used a parking meter to count his time of being there and used the quarter for his finger print and then they reveal the main adversary The Zen which means prisoner and test random people to join his cause. what i think of this is a plot for an 80's action thriller this didnt belong in this decade if they ever make this movie again improve it and make it a better expiriance for the people because when i went in the theater they were only 6 people there and it was Jan/02/2013 and it was my first mistake of the year i give it a 3 out of 10 Expand
  29. Dec 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Like other reviewers below, I cannot believe Lee Child could give Tom Cruise free rein to play this character and completely trash this movie. Anyone who has read the book will see this movie for the overhyped nonsense it is. No attempt has been made to convey who the real Jack Reacher is; this movie makes him appear as a thug who can shoot and fight better than the other thugs. Perhaps Cruise could have spent some time wasted on slow motion shots panned round the room or the over-dramatic looks on his and his tripey co-star Pike's faces and instead give us the missing information which would have made sense of it all the framed person's sister, more history about the Zec.
    What a waste of time.

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jan 19, 2013
    A trim thriller with an enviable lack of grandeur. [21 Jan. 2013, p.79]
  2. Reviewed by: Mark Dinning
    Dec 31, 2012
    Christopher McQuarrie and Tom Cruise deliver on their promise, with a witty, violent take on Reacher that makes up for its lack of height with an abundance of smarts and thrills.
  3. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Dec 23, 2012
    Despite a terrific cast, Jack Reacher comes up empty-handed.