6.2

1. Dec 23, 2012
    "Jack Reacher" is awesome, much better than the overrated "Looper" that came out earlier this year. This action movie might not pile up a ton of action, but the action it does have is believable and exciting. Tom Cruise does yet another excellent performance. Its not the most thought-provoking mystery movie i've seen, but it is epic.
  2. Dec 22, 2012
    This was a great film. Tom as a main actor was excellent - he really assumed the role he had to play in a way that made me feel like I understood Jack Reacher as a character and person well. The secondary main actor (character Helen) was good too - she played the role very well. The story line was just the right amount of action, mystery and a pinch of romance (very slight). The way the plot rolled out was great in that it left you wondering what was really going on at every moment - who the bad guys were, who was involved and who wasn't, what really happened and what didn't and so on. Excellent film - very much worth seeing in the theatre!!! Expand
  3. Dec 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Decided to see " Jack Reacher", having read all ( seventeen? ) of Lee Childs " Jack Reacher" books. What a great movie!
    Tense & gritty & taught & " Noirish" & fast paced.

Tom Cruise channels the " Jack Reacher" essence, as written by Lee Child, distilling the detection, the intellect, the minutae of " what doesn't fit in an air tight case." Cruise also portrays a guy tough enough to be gentle. Reacher: Does Sandy work here?
    Store clerk: What are you, a cop? I'm going to need to see some ID.
    Reacher: Go get Sandy.
    Store Clerk: Well I need to see something.
    Reacher: How about the inside of an ambulance?

Great pacing, editing and camera work, in dark, gritty locations.
    Moves with the momentum of Indiana Jones.
    Werner Herzog and Robert Duval deliver great performances, In short, The film delivers the goods. You will be pleasantly surprised.
  4. May 3, 2013
    Honestly. as movies get worse and worse I have become more lenient This movie was well done. Don't expect an action pact thriller though. I loved the small anti government messages and the bad taste towards cops! love to see a movie that reaches out to the non brain washed citizen. the bad reviews are from washed up retards just wanting shock value. End the Feds! peace!
  5. Dec 24, 2012
    This is a superb thriller and one of my favorite films this year. Story and characters are both very compelling and it was great to see how Reacher unraveled the mystery. I don't get the negative responses and suspect most probably have to do with a personal dislike of Tom Cruise or that the movie was not exactly like the books. Regardless, I loved the pacing and thought the action was great and all very realistic. Reacher is also an extremely interesting character to learn about... very intelligent, sarcastic and witty, mysterious, and strong. He's analogous to James Bond and Cruise does a fantastic job here. I very highly recommend this movie. Expand
  6. Jan 14, 2013
    I think Tom Cruise really played the part of this Character Jack Reacher extremely intelligently and well performed. This move is very heart pounding and get you off the edge of your own seat in the theater. I love the action and every fight scene of Jack Reacher played by Tom Cruise. To me the movie never leaves you guessing and very well written for such as well played cast. I can not wait until they make another movie with Tom as Jack Reacher, because something tells me this saga isn't over just yet. Love this movie, because I seen it two times and can not wait until it arrives on DVD. Expand
  7. Dec 25, 2012
    Jack Richer for me is simple, violence, real army martial skil especially as a Military Police. Humor scripts, pure action without any sexual intercourse(maybe u guys hate it! but I prefer this kind of genre as action movie really no need any sex thingy included). Jack Richer showing that Tom Cruise really still king of the action figure besides Dennis Craig in James Bond latest franchise. I really recommended friends n colleagues to watch Jack Richer. Even I heard some of the novel fans doubt Tom Cruise as he identified not as the real character in the novel but I believed he really scored there. No doubts about it! I really looking forward to buy this blu-ray movie as well. Expand
  8. Dec 26, 2012
    It's official. Hollywood critics have it in for Tom Cruise. How else can we explain Jack Reacher's aggregate low scores? This is not Oscar worthy stuff. But as far as movie entertainment goes, JR was a very satisfying action thriller. In fact, I enjoyed it much more than the latest James Bond flick (Skyfall) which has garnered across the board positive reviews. Say what you will about Cruise (and his controversial views / behavior ) but let's at least be fair! Writer-Director Christopher McQuarrie has made a very entertaining movie. This is the best Tom Cruise flick I've seen in years... Collapse
  9. Dec 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very intelligently thought out thriller with an exciting plot. cruise depicts his character well in what has been a very successful and true adaptation of the novel. Expand
  10. Dec 30, 2012
    Enjoyed the movie very much. It was on the long side and I never looked at my watch. Cruise did a great job and it had a nice twist. The movie is what it is !, if your looking for a good thriller then you should enjoy it. The other thing I really enjoyed was that the violence wasn't over the top.
  11. Dec 31, 2012
    OK so Tom Cruise isn't 6'5". He is Reacher. I went into this with very low expectations due to the middling reviews this movie has been getting.

This movie characterizes Reacher very closely to the book, and it's well done. The plot follows the book, pretty much, to the best of my recollections.

If you expect to walk in and find "Ethan Hunt" as Reacher, you'll be disappointed. If you
    read the Reacher on Lee Child's pages, who is a bit grim and one-dimensional (except for that enigmatic deep well that motivates him), then I find that this movie succeeds on all levels.

Oh and Werner Herzog is deliciously slimy as a villain. Bonus.

Rosamund Pike is the hot damsel in distress. Another bonus.

See this movie!
  12. Dec 24, 2012
    For putting this character up on screen for the first time I thought they pulled this off well. Few missteps but an overall well made movie that does the character justice while satisfying where it should. Good time.
  13. Jan 8, 2013
    Do you want to see an entertaining popcorn movie? This one is for you. Writer-Director Mcquarrie won an Oscar for his "The Usual Suspects" screenplay, and does a great job here. Cruise's character is the type of hero that always seems to be one step ahead of the bad guys, and can handle anything thrown his way. What's wrong with that? The audience, my daughter, and myself thoroughly enjoyed this film. I've never read any of the 17 Jack Reacher books, and maybe that is where the complaints are coming from. There have been books turned into movies that pissed me off because they were not true to the source, but the author didn't have a problem with this adaptation, and I don't think you will either. Expand
  14. Dec 22, 2012
    While I thought the movie could have used a couple more action scenes the plot made up for any lack. The few fight scenes were, however, extremely well done. It's a great crime whodunnit and cruise keeps the tension and suspense going throughout. Duvall has a short part but helps make the film. Whenever there is great disparity in critic reviews (0-83). (Note that the WSJ gave the 0) my radar goes up. A scene where Reacher explains why he lives off the grid away from our programmed work/sleep routine effectively lifts the veil on those Wall St Nazis who've literally enslaved us all and I believe that is what pissed off their media whores. Show them that you see through their smokescreen and go enjoy the film - and think about the deeper message -it's an interesting one. Expand
  15. Mar 2, 2013
    When you are watching this movie you will feel the energy and excitement Tom Cruise has always been one of my favorites. I think this is the one of the best movies of 2012 if not the BEST movie. Great movie and a bit humorous not all action BUT the action is crazy good.
  16. Jun 4, 2013
    "Jack Reacher is a smart, action packed and intelligent thriller that is a truly entertaining film to watch from start to finish. Tom Cruise is suburb in the titular role. Begging the question if Jack Reacher is one of the best action movies of 2012 A-
  17. May 11, 2013
    Jack Reacher was a surprisingly fantastic film. I went in thinking, thanks to some slightly misleading trailers, that this was going to be a high octane action movie with a bunch of gun fights, car chases, and explosions but little development and quality. I was completely wrong. While there were a few gun fights, one car chase, and an explosion of sorts, it was done in a completely different manner and was more of an action thriller. Tom Cruise did a great job in his typical role. The rest of the supporting cast was solid enough and the cameo by Robert Duvall was awesome. The plot developed really well and made it more of a "thinking movie" than I anticipated. That being said, the turns in the plot kept the film from becoming stagnant or boring and the action sequences felt real and authentic. I wasn't a huge fan of some of the cinematic elements and there were some flaws in one of the plot twists but nothing that really hurt the movie-watching experience. All-in-all, I'd say this was a great movie that most people would very much enjoy watching. Expand
  18. May 22, 2013
    A thrilling, intense vigilante thriller. With all the action of a superhero movie, and a really good mystery that will keep you on the edge of your seat, it is no doubt a movie that should be among the best of 2012.
  19. Apr 19, 2013
    Having read the books, I have always thought of Jack reacher as the "Real Jason Bourne". A great film and adaption from one shot the book. I loved it!
  20. May 31, 2013
    This is the best movie ever made!,

After watching it i wanted to watch it again.
    While watching them investigating and unraveling the mystery there is a atmosphere the deeper they go that something bad happen and the characters show the sense of urgency usually just when its too late.
    The way they have added a bit of humor too, fits in so well and is hilarious, but maintains a serious
    movie feel. The gun scenes have a call of duty similarity and being a fan it was exciting to watch.
    All the characters are amazing, after this movie and oblivion i forgive Tom for going a bit crazy in the past.

Its not a movie its a adventure, a mystery that makes you feel the climax coming and does not disappoint. Blue ray version recommended.
  21. Sep 25, 2013
    This is a movie that if you got it you liked it, if you didn't get it you didn't like it. The source material came through really strong with the dramatic tension of the book brought to life in a way that is rare for adaptations to do. Casting was spot on, it was nice to see Tom Cruise take an a colder character than his usual more emotional roles.
  22. Mar 4, 2014
    Jack Reacher is a very smart thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Tom cruise sells the character Jack Reacher even though the title character is 6ft 5, blonde hair and a lean 220 muscular body.

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jan 19, 2013
    A trim thriller with an enviable lack of grandeur. [21 Jan. 2013, p.79]
  2. Reviewed by: Mark Dinning
    Dec 31, 2012
    Christopher McQuarrie and Tom Cruise deliver on their promise, with a witty, violent take on Reacher that makes up for its lack of height with an abundance of smarts and thrills.
  3. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Dec 23, 2012
    Despite a terrific cast, Jack Reacher comes up empty-handed.