6.1

1. Mar 5, 2013
    Here's a storybook retelling by Hollywood that isn't completely rubbish. Jack the Giant Slayer stands proudly on the verge of decency, but doesn't really achieve greatness either. It is a stylized version of Jack and the Beanstalk that caters to more contemporary viewers. With the help of its stars, it provides a more palatable reinterpretation of fairy tale, although the script doesn'tHere's a storybook retelling by Hollywood that isn't completely rubbish. Jack the Giant Slayer stands proudly on the verge of decency, but doesn't really achieve greatness either. It is a stylized version of Jack and the Beanstalk that caters to more contemporary viewers. With the help of its stars, it provides a more palatable reinterpretation of fairy tale, although the script doesn't really shine. Effects are good throughout, gigantic creatures may have been digitally constructed before and while the giants here don't rewrite how they should be portrayed, they do have more humane motions in an attempt to include them more as characters and not mere monsters.

Nicholas Hoult as Jack is an appropriate pick. He doesn't stand out as the heroic type, leaning more towards an urchin type of protagonist. His love interest Isabelle, played by Eleanor Tomlinson, is a princess who longs for an adventure. If I didn't know better, I'd say the first few scenes are from old RPG game, and truthfully. It starts slow and predictable, almost overly cliché. This is a movie that has slow beginning but eventually builds up to more interesting sequences.

Stanley Tucci, Ewan McGregor and Ian McShane are no strangers to fantasy movie, these veterans are charming and act their parts ardently. They give more color to the otherwise wanting movie, I personally like Ewan McGregor as he steals the scenes even only as supporting role. Writing is somewhat inconsistent, some dialogues are corny and seem forced, and for those who aren't, they are decent at best. The pace is brilliantly tight however, the scenes are set in hasty fashion, not prolonged mundanely, and they are chained together fluidly.

Action is integrated well, the ones towards the end are pretty amazing. It has compact and comprehensible battles, things happen quickly in sorted recognizable order, it's a good trait to have, considering the numbers of people involved are plenty at times. The use of 3D is serviceable, camera placement for the action are tailored for it, although not in invasive way as most 3D movies do. The switch to first person view briefly at some events is a nice touch.

Wardrobe for the cast deserves credit, outfits are medieval yet seemingly have modern ambiance to them. Armor designs fit the theme, the characters look fine as each respective garment insinuate their personality more. Jack the Giant Slayer is a movie which isn't overly epic, it does have some issues and doesn't really make for a grand journey. However, the solid acting and good pace will likely amuse audience.
  2. Mar 7, 2013
    I admit I didn't expect much going into this, given the mixed reception. But I actually left very entertained. The story is loosely based on the old tale of Jack and the Beanstalk and while it for the most part stays true to it, it doesn't feel like some lazy copy from fairy tale book to movie script. But at the same time it didn't feel like a pathetic try-hard attempt to make a fairyI admit I didn't expect much going into this, given the mixed reception. But I actually left very entertained. The story is loosely based on the old tale of Jack and the Beanstalk and while it for the most part stays true to it, it doesn't feel like some lazy copy from fairy tale book to movie script. But at the same time it didn't feel like a pathetic try-hard attempt to make a fairy tale "edgy" a la Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. It hits a nice middle ground that's able to work well on its own merits. In other words the story isn't a rehashing or butchering but rather a reimagining. The characters, while not particularly unique or original, do work in the roles they're given. Even if the whole lower-class-guy-meets-upper-class-girl thing is kinda done-to-death, especially when the latter is royalty, and you know very well how the story's gonna end in that department. Also I like the idea of there being practically a whole other world within the beanstalk, rather than just an hour of climbing, which I feared the movie would be at first. It makes for a lot of great visuals and action scenes. Speaking of which, the fight scenes are very well-written/performed. Some notable ones (no spoilers) are the one with the giant chef and the one between Jack and Roderick in the stream. The giants, aka the "villains", have a nice design to them. And while I wouldn't say the CGI was amazing for them (especially in the close-ups) it worked well enough. Though they were clearly the most "cartoony" part of the film. One other thing I appreciate is how just when you think there's a cheap linear storybook ending about 3/4 in, it (somewhat realistically) continues in a way that would otherwise leave a massive plothole. And I think it pays off quite nicely, with the final battle making for a great scene that really hooks you in, ending on a creative and kinda funny note, depending on your sense of humor. Overall Jack the Giant Slayer exceeded my expectations and was very entertaining, albeit with a fairly predictable storyline and main character arch. It's not a tear-jerker or a laugh riot but more of just a fun adventure. I'd give it a 77/100. It probably won't end up my favorite movie of 2013 but it is for now. Expand
  3. Mar 18, 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAGYge8jg Here is my review for Jack The Giant Slayer on Youtube. NOT SPAM I promise! I recently started my own youtube page. I need fellow movie lovers like you to help me out! Subscribe to my youtube page if you like my videos!
  4. Apr 4, 2013
    Was not expecting much from this film, but I was surprised and impressed throughout. It's an old story which has been told before many times, but they've just added a ton of Hollywood and special effects which make this entertaining. It's different, some of the acting was questionable, but overall enjoyable
  5. Apr 20, 2013
    Very entertaining and really good film. The plot is strong, the giants look fantastic, the acting is good and the story was enjoyable all the way through and good end. Would watch again
  6. Mar 1, 2013
    Just came from seeing this with my kids. Was not too violent. Kids had a total blast and so did I. Total fun! An Oscar winner for best picture? Never, but who cares! This was totally enjoyable.
  7. Mar 2, 2013
    I don't understand Critics. They say they like the movie, go fun, very enjoyable, then they give it a 50 or a 60. This is a very fun movie. Hardly a slow point, easy to watch. The special effects were excellent. The ending was excellent. Want to have fun? Go see this movie.
  8. Mar 20, 2013
    If you were to combine The Lord of the Rings' story with Robin Hood's personality and The Chronicles of Narnia's fantastical whimsy, you'd get Jack the Giant Slayer. With thrills, spills, and chills, Jack is a good adventure film that successfully modernizes its' fairy tale basis while lovingly nodding towards the classic tale.

Great visuals and acting by the cast, with the stand-out

Great visuals and acting by the cast, with the stand-out being Ewan McGregor, who brings an Errol Flynn-like personality to Elmont. There's a few good messages also on embracing responsibility, bravery, and self-sacrifice. As far as a family movie night is concerned, Jack the Giant Slayer is a very mild PG-13, but I wouldn't recommend it for children under age 10. For while there is no on-screen blood or gore (the head-chomping is off-screen and the effects are seen from a distance), it still could spark a nightmare or two for younger ones. There's also a bit of mild language and giants are seen having gross habits.

For a more detailed review, visit www.moviestakenseriously.blogspot.com
  9. Mar 1, 2013
    A very fun movie that is a grand fairytale adventure, as it was meant to be. Good humor, small amount of fart or booger humor, and the typical happy ending you find in a fairy tale. A lot of critics are grouching about "originality" and such. It's a FAIRY TALE! It's a very old story, and one that people know. If they changed it all, people would be disappointed. The special effectsA very fun movie that is a grand fairytale adventure, as it was meant to be. Good humor, small amount of fart or booger humor, and the typical happy ending you find in a fairy tale. A lot of critics are grouching about "originality" and such. It's a FAIRY TALE! It's a very old story, and one that people know. If they changed it all, people would be disappointed. The special effects were great, and all visuals were stimulating and drew you in. If you're looking for a fun adventure story, go see this movie. You will not be disappointed! It's also very refreshing to see a movie not filled with vulgar language! Suitable for everyone in your family! Collapse
  10. Mar 2, 2013
    I have to say that this movie was not what I expected it to be. It was neither childish, nor what I would consider adult, but a mix between the two. One thing I will say right away is if you are expected jaw-dropping 3D, skip this movie. It has a few wow moments, but on the whole I would recommend saving a few bucks and seeing the 2D version instead.
    I did like the movie, and I feel the
    I did like the movie, and I feel the story is solid. I left the theatre feeling good about spending the money to see it, and because of that I give it an 8. If the 3D had been better, it would have scored higher.
  11. dpc
    Mar 4, 2013
    Lots of fun. I brought my 6 year old and we both loved it. It's not groundbreaking, "game changing" or revolutionary, but it is a really good time at the movies. Well made, good characters, interesting situations and cool action. Critics need to pull the pole out of their butts and lighten up. All they had to do was say if you're a couple grown guys, you may want to check something elseLots of fun. I brought my 6 year old and we both loved it. It's not groundbreaking, "game changing" or revolutionary, but it is a really good time at the movies. Well made, good characters, interesting situations and cool action. Critics need to pull the pole out of their butts and lighten up. All they had to do was say if you're a couple grown guys, you may want to check something else out. But if you are (or have the sense of fun of a) 5 to 13 year old, you'll love it. This was also one of the few movies I've seen recently where I didn't mind the obnoxious prices of the movie theater because I actually had fun experience. Expand
  12. Dec 14, 2013
    This was a great movie! I heard some bad things about it, but knew it had a good shot at delivering and it did.If you`re looking for an adventure look no further than Jack the Giants Slayer.
  13. Mar 4, 2015
    I must say I was more then presently surprised by this one. Rarely these days do I watch a film at home from start to finish, but this movie had me gripped from start to finish. It's predictable, dumb, and fun. A lot of fun. I was actually surprised by some of the clever ideas they threw in the movie tactically. The way the defeat the "king" giant in the end couldn't be more brilliant.
  14. Dec 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not as 'fee fi fo dumb' as many critics would have one believe (though I'm not watching it in a theater which actually is where such a film should be seen).. l love (at least filmically) the era in which the story is situated.. it has quite an impressive, inventive 'look'.. engaging, entertaining & fun to watch sometimes even funny.. very effective cinematography & editing.. appropriately un-memorable yet supportive soundtrack.. emotionally well-paced if a bit predictable not simply because we have often heard this fairy-tail).. with more than merely adequate acting (a notable supporting cast much less the lesser known 'leads') & directing (Bryan Singer).. somewhat obvious but nice ending which is a set up for a follow-up (ooopps, jumped the gun, would have made for a good ending & cut off a half-hour.. still a nice ending a nice quadruple ending).. but it's the 'look' that makes this film "it's a hell of a view".. Expand
  15. May 16, 2013
    Jack the Giant Slayer can be described very simply and effectively in one word: fun. It won't win any awards or be remembered, but that doesn't matter, it provided the core reason we go to the cinema, to have fun and to be taken into a different world. The acting on all fronts was actually good and really brought the film to life, I went into the film fearing it would contain reallyJack the Giant Slayer can be described very simply and effectively in one word: fun. It won't win any awards or be remembered, but that doesn't matter, it provided the core reason we go to the cinema, to have fun and to be taken into a different world. The acting on all fronts was actually good and really brought the film to life, I went into the film fearing it would contain really mundane acting that drains the life of the film, but I was proven wrong. It was silly and never took itself too seriously, which is really the only way the film could have succeeded, it's a film about Jack and the Beanstalk for crying out loud. The bottom line is this, if you're looking for a fun family film that you can just watch, Jack the Giant Slayer is a good way to spend an evening. The reason I have not given the film a higher rating is because it didn't blow me away, it just took me by surprise that I actually enjoyed it. Fun, 74/100. Expand
  16. Jun 29, 2013
    To put it simply, Jack the Giant Slayer is a funny, action-filled, fast-paced movie with a fairly interesting plot. It's definitely enjoyable, but isn't exactly very well written, it is written OK though. The movie occasionally drifts from it's plot and gets boring at times, this lowers it's score, also, the acting wasn't the best, as well as that it was incredibly cheesy at times. So ITo put it simply, Jack the Giant Slayer is a funny, action-filled, fast-paced movie with a fairly interesting plot. It's definitely enjoyable, but isn't exactly very well written, it is written OK though. The movie occasionally drifts from it's plot and gets boring at times, this lowers it's score, also, the acting wasn't the best, as well as that it was incredibly cheesy at times. So I give this film a... 7.3/10! Expand
  17. Jan 9, 2014
    This was unexpectedly entertaining to watch. The special effects were pretty good and it was a good spin on the traditional storyline. Good humorous moments in the movie.
  18. Jan 3, 2014
    A surprisingly good movie. The CGI is cringingly bad but if you forgive that the worst thing about it is Ewan McGregor's hair which never loses it's style even after a fight in a river. Better than Man of Steel anyday.
  19. Jun 9, 2013
    A surprisingly fun film directed by Bryan Singer. The main concern going in was the giants and overall I thought they were fine. The key to the movies success is the strong acting along with a solid directorial touch by Mr. Singer.
  20. Jun 26, 2013
    Very fun and entertaining movie. The storyline could stick a little bit better, and show more detail, but otherwise, a great family movie. There is no blood as I remember, so it should be fine for littler kids as well. A great movie.
  21. Jun 2, 2013
    Very interesting and full of adventure movie. This movie has a "Peter Jacksonish" feel in it, though it is not as great as his epics. But who cares?! this movie is very entertaining from start till end.
  22. Aug 13, 2013
    A film that brings out the bright-eyed child within everyone. Fun and entertaining for all ages. An interesting collection of actors and actresses that worked like magic. More please!
  23. Nov 30, 2013
    'Jack the Giant Slayer' was entertaining. It was a bit disturbing, probably more for kids. It lacked action, however, because there was barely any, but it wasn't a bad movie. It was fairly good.
  24. Dec 7, 2013
    A great legendary adventure movie, no creepy violent scenes or bad words, my son enjoyed each scene of it suitable to all ages and very enjoying highly recommended for a family night gathering!

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Mar 18, 2013
    Singer honors a child's desire not only for adventure but for noble deeds, for loyalty and friendship. [18 March 2013, p.87]
  2. Reviewed by: David Hughes
    Mar 18, 2013
    Far from the giant mess you’d expect from the delayed release, late title change and a production history as muddled as the source material, Singer’s tall tale is snatched from disaster by an all-hell-breaks-loose third act.
  3. Reviewed by: Paul Bradshaw
    Mar 11, 2013
    Not one for cynics or bedwetters, if you’re after a ripping, roaring, thigh-slapping giant of a fairytale, Bryan Singer’s blockbuster panto will be right up your beanstalk.