7.0

1. Mar 20, 2012
    Who would have thought that the highest professional critic score for a movie like John Carter would come from the Village Voice?? I thought I'd check this one out after reading about the massive loss that Disney would be taking on this film, wondering just how bad it could possibly be. I was shocked to find how much I enjoyed it. Other than the Dark Knight films and the first Matrix, I can't remember another superhero-style movie that kept me so interest during it's full length. It's immensely satisfying. The marketing campaign - from the billboards, to the trailers, to the TV spots - revealed nothing of the charm of this film - and it has it in excess. The John Carter character and the double-pronged story are interesting as hell. The "green" inhabitants of Mars feel completely real to me - unlike any of the beings in the Star Wars prequels. (If only Jar Jar Binks had been one of these suckers - or even the massive space dog - which I loved - The Phantom Menace wouldn't have been such a joke.) The romance between Carter and the princess is somewhat reminiscent of Han Solo and Princess Leia - if Leia kicked a ton of ass, that is. I'd MUCH rather see this movie again than The Green Lantern, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, or just about any of these Marvel/DC films which felt so hollow. An easy recommendation. Expand
  2. Mar 10, 2012
    Great action, great story, great fun! It was entertaining from start to finish and it is definitely the best movie of 2012 so far... who could ask for more? This is a must see!
  3. Mar 12, 2012
    On Saturday morning, I sat down in my seat, hoping to have a good experience while watching John Carter. What I got was an AMAZING experience. Some say the plot was cliched and boring, but I thought it was just simply breathtaking. The visuals were also superb and I didn't have anything wrong with it. to me, John Carter was better than Avatar. Sure Avatar had nice visuals, but I thought its plot was just as boring and confusing as John Carters. Actually, I thought that John Carters was a lot better and easier to understand. The Pirates of the Caribbean movies are confusing and the last three plots have been a bore to me and those films still manage about a billion dollars a piece, while John Carter will end up with about 350 million world wide and will not see the break of day again when it comes to a series. This is extremely disappointing as I think the world deserves to visit Barsoom a few more times. Expand
  4. Mar 9, 2012
    Incredible film, the effects are awesome, the story is amazing, the 3D is innecesary, but all in John Carter is amazing, the cast is incredible, this is one of the most interesting films of the year.
  5. Mar 10, 2012
    John Carter was awesome! Highly recommend. Was what Star Wars Ep. 1 could/should have been. Great characters, action, romance, humor, effects. The ad campaign didn't do justice to what the movie is. It is what it's trying to be, a space spaghetti western, not an Academy Award winning drama. It doesn't take itself too seriously, but the stakes still feel high. It's more fun than Avatar and less pretentious. Go see it! It deserves/needs a sequel. Expand
  6. Mar 10, 2012
    I have waited almost 50 years to a film to do justice to Burroughs' Martian series which I avidly read as an adolescent boy, which I have long thought would be impossible. Although this adaption might bring criticism from some ERB purists, there being certain plot and character's changes for the sake of plausibility and to satisfy current sensibilities, the film's production values, its quality acting and action sequences, its CGI, and even its pace, left me hoping it succeeds, confounding its "critics", and brings on a sequel! To that selfish end I will recommend this escapist and satisfying action/adventure jaunt to all my friends. . Not since viewing the first of the "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy have I "bought into" such a film, which gave me something to look forward to in its sequels. Sadly, I do not see anything which is presently in development that can be its equal. The film has also taken me back to how enthusiast I was when I originally read the whole series, from start to finish. Do yourself a favor, and let yourself be an adolescent again for a couple hours, and make sure to have some popcorn and a soda while you are at it! Expand
  7. Mar 10, 2012
    Both my wife and I saw this movie in a packed theater, both of us absolutely loved this film. It wasn't just needless and endless action through out the film. It had a strong romance at the heart of the story and characters that you could rout and care for. Exiting the film I noticed all the comments that I over heard were overwhelmingly positive. Good story telling through out the movie. Great movie that I will probably add to my meager blue ray collection at home. Expand
  8. Mar 20, 2012
    Excellant movie. Alot of fun action packed moments. Followed the book very well but also added to the material. Wish it would have done better in the states. Not looking good for a sequel.
  9. Apr 1, 2012
    people that love John Carter have said all there is to say. Just to reiterate. Hollywood screwed this movie, but despite this the world knows its the best sci fi movie to hit since the 80's. Don't let this turn into another Firefly. Go to a cinema, Imax theater, or eventually buy the dvd. So many can't believe the bum rap this movie received. Check it out. You'll be surprised. Don't let negative critic **** cloud or form your judgements. If you allow that, then you're going to miss out on the grandfather of all modern sci fi. John Carter blew me away and it'll rock your world if you give it a chance with an open mind. Expand
  10. Mar 30, 2012
    wasn't sure what to expect when watching this movie. loved every bit of it, story was original nothing remake like everything else. effects and story was alot better then some blockbuster hits like Transfomers.
  11. Mar 10, 2012
    Don't believe the critics on this one, John Carter is an absolute blast. Went with my 7 year old son to see it the other night and both of us loved it. It's exciting, spectacular and funny as well. Taylor Kitsch is a little reserved as John Carter, but that makes sense from a story perspective, but Lynn Collins is awesome as Dejah Thoris. Willem Dafoe's motion capture work made Tars Tarkas a big hit with my son, as well.

Andrew Stanton has made a modern movie with a very classic sensibility. favouring story and character over mindless action and pointless special effects. There is action in this movie and the effects are definitely special but they all serve to move the story forward and develop the characters.

And anyone who doesn't walk away from John Carter wanting to own a Woola has a rock for a heart.

Only word of warning, don't bother with the 3D, it added nothing to the movie and actively distracted me at times. Save yourself some money and just watch the 2D version.
  12. Mar 10, 2012
    I legitimately needed to make an account to offset some of the utterly ridiculous claims about this movie. I for one think professional critics have their heads so far up their film school tailored asses that they truly can't be influential to the real people who love to go to an entertaining movie.(I mean look at some of the "geniuses" in the user section that try to use their botched literary prose to match the critics to absolutely pathetic results.

I think there really needs to be different type of way movies get reviewed. Obviously the same people who liked something like War Horse wont automatically love a movie like this. There needs to be fans and critics separated into different specific genres and you can see their review history of similar movies(So say they gave AVatar 9/10 and you see they gave this an 8/10...you'd know a credible person gave it a good review). But honestly it's a very good movie for all you people who are adventurers at heart.
  13. Mar 10, 2012
    When I ready negative reviews of this film, I wonder if they watched the same movie I did. I found the movie very entertaining, and that is the only reason I go to the movies. I normally do not like 3D but this is a must see in 3D since it is not overly done. I would pay to see it again, somthing I never do. I hope this does well so they do a second film where this one left off.
  14. Mar 9, 2012
    Well done film goes right along with the books. Great family fun! The only thing they could add would be more gunfighting or laser fights :) The special effects were amazing!
  15. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the best film I have ever seen in my life. (Reached far above my expectations) I watched it in 3D, although the 3D kind of sucked, I recommend 2D. The movie is better in 2D. There are some funny moments, moments that will surprise you! There are also moments that will make you tear up a little bit. The story is great, the movie doesn't have as much action as you expect there to be, but I think that is a good thing. There are many characters and places, The animation is great 100% the best animation I have seen in any film that I have seen in the past. I am not saying this because I am a fan, I am saying this because it is true. A really fun movie, it needs what it deserves (good box office results). The only two downsides to this movie, is that I think the beginning of the movie on earth felt a little rushed/fast, I think they should have added a little more time on earth. The second downside, (SPOILER ALERT) is that I think John Carter and the Tharks should have learned each others language instead of taking a translation potion. The ENDING is GREAT. I rate this movie a 9.99998/10. :)

P.S. What I also love about this film is that it keeps a lot of information from the book.

GO WATCH IT!
  16. Mar 10, 2012
    Many of the negative criticisms show expectations that have been shaped by those various movies of the fantasy and science fiction genre, some of them having been influenced by the original "Princess of Mars" story, which movie themselves have also come to include various formulaic requirements of a "good movie." The new movie "John Carter" is escapist fantasy plain and simple, without camp or issues or cutesy kid stuff or mystery meanings or allegory or cosmic questions or dire warnings or hopeful futures or technology predictions or apology or even a clear delineation of good and evil. It's just the pure goo of macho hero fantasy, where the only virtue of the title character is that he doesn't know when to give up. Otherwise, if we must interpose some faint philosophical depth to the writings of Edgar Rice Burroughs, we might suppose Tarzan to be an image of "le bon sauvage", and John Carter of the "Ã Expand
  17. Mar 11, 2012
    I went into Andrew Stanton's (Wall-E, Finding Nemo) "John Carter" not knowing what to expect. By the time the film had run its course, though, I was very happily surprised. Let me make this clear: if you walk into this movie expecting a crystal-clear, fool proof story and acting to rival those of the hollywood greats, its best you stay home. If you're just looking to have a great time, and experience a true blast of a film, go right now, and see "John Carter". The film is just that much fun. "John Carter" truly immerses you in the worlds it takes you to, from the dynamic relationships between the characters and the struggles each one must confront. Each character is dynamic and has their own story, and the acting is good all around. Taylor Kitsch does well enough as the film's title character, but it is the supporting cast that truly stands out: Lynn Collins as Princess Dejah, Samantha Morton as Sola, and Willem Defoe. The latter two who are simply spot on in their voice acting. The cinematics are incredible and the animation truly brings the characters to life. The music does exactly as it should, it complements the story, doesn't overshadow it, or give too much away. Yes, there are small problems with the story, but they are not truly important, nor will they affect your movie going experience at all. And with that; I give "John Carter" a 9 out of 10. Expand
  18. Mar 11, 2012
    Really enjoyed this movie. So much so that I left the theater wanting to see the movie again and we talked about John Carter the rest of the night. We never felt short-changed with this movie; it was all there including a dynamic, full story. Am very much hoping there is a sequel.
  19. Mar 11, 2012
    This movie delivered exactly what it said on the tin, a true tribute to pulp science fiction in the form of John Carter. Highly entertaining to watch in case you are able to enjoy a movies without asking yourself 'How is that supposed to work?'. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.
  20. Feb 2, 2013
    John Carter is an unjustly dismissed sci-fi masterpiece...grossly unjustified. What was wrong with it? Specifically, what was wrong? Pacing? It was intense!!! Coming from someone who uses this word sparingly, this movie was "EPIC". I am almost certain that time will enable objectivity, and objectivity will redeem it from the stinging taint slapped on it due to a predictably simplistic aversion to what is "mainstream" by film critics. If a studio other than Disney could have created the same film with half the budget it would have been heralded as a cinematic achievement within the sci-fi genre, but its budget was viewed as ostentatious and its production studio as childish, so it became "cool" to hate on it before anyone had even seen it. Who makes something and how much they pay to have it made has nothing to due with the quality of what is actually produced, it may be indicative of quality or lack thereof, but the final product speaks for itself. Reviews of John Carter tell us more about film critics than the critics told us about the film. It was practically perfect. "Incomprehensible plotting"??? They laid the groundwork for the presumed sequels by deliberately leaving a few questions unanswered, which I hope they still make and answer because I loved this first one! Mars was epic, and then in the end we are reminded that the story began on Earth and the film ends stronger than I could have hoped for! An excellent story masterfully told on screen. Expand
  21. Mar 10, 2012
    As usual, ignore the critics and see this movie! I won't repeat the story, in case you want to see it, I think you will find it imaginative, with unexpected twists and funnier than expected. Yes it has a lot of CGI, but that's kinda expected when you have a sci-fy adventure movie set on another planet. I liked the action and totally believed the story. I recommend this movie highly.
  22. Mar 14, 2012
    Fun and enjoyable movie! Forget that the dialogue is predictable and the acting uneven. Forget that it doesn't follow the book. Just watch the action, wonder about the landscapes, enjoy the rescues, and hope that they get together in the end. The 3D is lame so stick with the 2D version. And remember, the critics don't like it because they are mostly sourpusses and have forgotten we go to the movies to have fun with family and friends! Expand
  23. Mar 10, 2012
    Very interesting film) funny characters) Good visualization) Cool story) Recommended to all who wants to spend the time with pleasure!!! Now the first thing you must do its to rush in the nearest cinema to buy the ticket and watch John Carter!!!
  24. Mar 11, 2012
    John Carter review

I forced myself to go see John Carter.  The movie was getting a 50 on metacritic and rotten tomatoes.  My wife and I have not seen a movie in months and were getting desparate, we refuse to pay $20 to see mediocre quality movies.  We are both fans of the books, but the trailers looked terrible, the principals seemed miscast and the
    marketing was never focused.   So with trepidation and apprehension we went to see John Carter. Many times through this movie I kept expecting it to suck. It never did. When the credits began to roll I turned to my wife and asked, "That was awesome, right?" She said, "It was SO AWESOME!"

The movie did has some faults.  It was a little long and some of the cgi flying scenes were muddy and felt rushed through production.

But everything, and I mean, EVERYTHING else, was fantastic.  John Carter is a character with an arc that I was rooting for and felt real compassion for.  Dejah was beautiful, powerful and had real chemistry with John.  The Green martians were completely believable and expertly created.  And seeing Julius Caesar and Marc Antony chewing up a few scenes together was a complete delight.  Anyone who saw the HBO mini series Rome will know what I mean.  They were like two old friends thrilled to be performing together again.  I would pay $10 a week just to watch them have more adventures together on Mars.

I had no trouble following the story.  In fact, the addition of the advanced beings improve the plot immensely by giving the viewer a way to understand how John Carter came to Mars and it's connection to Earth.  It is also impressive how much of ERB's original plot was kept in the movie.  A plot that came 100 years before Avatar.

I will end this review by complimenting the director and the cinematographer.  Outstanding. You created a world that I believe. A world with its own cultures, myths, architecture, and beauty, yet kept it familiar by making some of the tech similar to the 1880's and shooting on location in Utah.  A marvelous achievement.

It saddens me deeply that I will not be seeing further adventures of John Carter of Mars.  I see no way for it to be profitable.  It cost too much to make and for reasons I truly don't understand the reviews have been mixed.  I myself, a John Carter fan, narrowly skipped out from seeing this movie.  I now feel it is my duty to use the power of the Internet to say see this movie.  Go with an open mind and a desire for old fashioned fun and adventure.  Then maybe, just maybe, like John himself, we can all go back to Barsoom.
  25. Apr 5, 2012
    This movie was fun. The princess is gorgeous. People think to much, just watch a movie and have fun. You can find a way to make every movie suck if you look hard enough. Just have fun.
  26. FC1
    Mar 13, 2012
    Warning: I have already posted a review and have given this movie a 10 rating. It seems Iâ
  27. M13
    Mar 13, 2012
    It's the best BIG movie I've seen since Avatar. And when you keep in mind that the story was written about 100 years ago it makes the movie all the more impressive. And I thought since it was Disney that there wouldn't be much killing.....boy was I wrong. The story even had a twist or two that I wasn't expecting. Worth seeing. And worth seeing in IMAX.
  28. Feb 23, 2013
    John Carter is a majestic adventure movie, reminiscent of many of those titles of the 70's and 80's that so many of us remember from our childhoods and loved because we all wished we'd end up in an adventure like that. It is never too violent, there is never a dull moment (despite the movie lasting 2 hours and 12 minutes) and it is beyond me why anyone would rate this movie with a 6 or less. The acting, CGI and story are all top-notch. Apparently it is based on a book but who cares? The movie is what it is; a masterpiece of cinematized storytelling. It reminded me of Star Wars and Dune. Readers of Storm (Don Lawrence) will get a huge kick out of this movie and those who enjoyed the movie should waste no time discovering Don Lawrence's brilliant work. Expand
  29. B47
    Mar 11, 2012
    Amazing.

Some reviewers have used the word epic and it is not a word that is being bandied about nor used with exaggeration. Andrew Stanton for the two and nearly half hours of John Carter repeatedly shows a boldness to cast his movie on levels of scale that rarely are seen on our movie screens today. He uses wide and long shots to establish the world of Barsoom, to show a grandeur to the
    action and the stage upon which he has filmed Burrough's work. The shots do not overwhelm the movie, but a number of times my breath was caught in my lungs as I forgot to breath and with wide eyes took in the vistas and the moving moments of the film. There are some directors today who attempt to create scenes on such scales, many fail, but Stanton (in my opinion) isn't one of them.

Stanton (and all his support) create a breathing, lived in and dying world. The film feels balanced, as if everything is exactly where it should be, but it never feels as if it's some set piece, carefully constructed and intended to be viewed in a frame behind a plate of glass. It simply feels natural. It feels real. A place with history.

Another bold decision Stanton (and Chabon, as well), was not to streamline the story they present. The film begins with several threads which are gradually and then increasingly woven together, be it the conflict between Zodanga and Helium, the way of life of the Tharks, or the purpose of the Therns. As in the book, Carter ultimately is the world changing element that brings everything together. It doesn't rush and the movie's patient approach could be something that frustrates those used to the more simple and direct approach of most modern films (particularly those with action/sci-fi elements).

Avatar, for example, while a like in world building and to a degree, the same epic scale that Stanton embraces, is a simpler film in terms of its story telling. John Carter has more depth, period.

Michael Giacchino's score does a wonderful job of supporting the story without overwhelming it, adding to its richness. It doesn't quite rise to the level of cinematic greatness, but it definitely succeeds in enriching action/events going on in the film at any one time.

I have seem some dismissals of the abundant use of CGI in the film. It is done with the care one expects from a Pixar director, as for example the Tharks. Tars Tarkis (Defoe does a great job voicing him) becomes one more character, not a digital intrusion in the realm of human actors (as do the other Tharks, like Sola). People complained about Carter's jumping. I did not find it cheap or hokey looking in the least. (As an aside, several reviewers complain that the inhabitants of Barsoom are more amazed that Carter can jump, rather than being from Earth - they apparently ignore a complete scene where Dejah is astonished when she realizes Carter is from where he claims to be from - another note, Carter's origin is never really made as much as a big deal as his physical abilities in the book either).

The acting. I felt Lynn Collins did a perfectly fine job as Dejah. Would I say it was an Oscar-worthy peformance? No, but I would call it comparable with anything Carrie Fisher offered in Star Wars. As a rule, all the acting was good. I will admit that Taylor Kitsch appeared more limited in range, but in part I think it came across as such as the John Carter he plays is at first one that is emotionally detached from the world. He plays a Carter who travels to Mars as a man who has simply given up on believing in anything (explained in flashbacks), and as the movie progresses, and that Carter begins to care about a lot of things, Dejah, his place within the world of Barsoom, so does Kitsch's acting become more expressive and likeable. As I said earlier, Defoe's voice acting is excellent, and he transcends being Defoe's voice and becomes Tars Tarkis.

In part, the ambition of the movie is so great that I feel as if I can't accurately convey everything with any hope of complete success. It's a film I want to see again and perhaps with enough viewings, be able to offer an encapsulation that in much shorter words can describe the essence of Andrew Stanton's John Carter.
  30. Mar 11, 2012
    **** every critic & **** those who don't like Science fiction movies. Watch this Movie- Great Story, Amazing VFX, Mind-Blowing Sound. You will love it.
  31. Mar 30, 2012
    Fantastic looking movie with a wonderful story. The shame is that Disney sabatoged this movie before it was even released. For months leading up to the movie release a certain website advertised this movie as Ghosts of Mars. The travesty is that a bit of marketing could have saved it. It was a huge mistake not to push the love story or to include Mars anywhere in the title. There is a huge following of the books that probably overlooked it because they did not use "Princess of Mars" or "John Carter of Mars". It is a shame because now we will never see the others. Expand
  32. Mar 15, 2012
    I have never watched a movie that made me feel sad after I watched it because it was getting a bum rap. I almost didn't go see it because of all of the bad publicity now I am glad I went. John Carter is a good film, fun, entertaining, funny and visually stunning. Strong interesting characters, good storyline. I blame Disney and its small mindedness for its failure. It is a fantasy film, it should be marketed as one. They should have never changed the name from John Carter from Mars, they should have hit up the fanboy network, and yes there are lots of fangirls out there too who would rock this movie in cosplay.. Disney opened the door and practically begged the critics to pan the movie. The trailers sucked, there is a fan trailer on youtube that is fantastic which is 1000 times better than the lame ones Disneys put out. Give this film a chance, it is a fun ride and worth seeing. Expand
  33. Mar 12, 2012
    "John Carter " is a fantastic movie, the scale is enormous and the story is moving. The secondary characters are alive and well developed. A worthy adaptation of the now classic novels by Edgar R. Burroughs.
  34. Mar 25, 2012
    John carter is an amazing sci-fi/action adventure movie with a bit of cheese. It's got incredible special effects and 3D, very good action scenes, really good music, an awesome story-line (it's a little confusing at times), and good acting (mostly). I really recommend watching it, do it for Disney (they're losing money), let them make a sequel!
  35. Mar 14, 2012
    For those who think this movie is a "Prince of Persia/Avatar" clone, they should realize this was adapted from a BOOK written in 1912. That alone is pretty awesome. The majority of critics don't seem to realize or appreciate this fact... Regardless, I thought the movie was great and not at all incomprehensible as some called it. It was simple, awesome fun.
  36. Mar 15, 2012
    First and foremost, this film is a ton of fun, with characters you like that have some depth and soul - even the strange and wonderful aliens and monsters. It has great action, effects and a sweet romance at its core. Ignore the bad press and ignorant reviewers who think this copied "Avatar" or "Star Wars" - I'd like to know how a 100 year old story managed that little trick? Edgar Rice Burroughs "A Princess of Mars" may be 100 years old, but the creative team behind this gem of a movie has updated the story nicely while retaining what makes Burroughs "Barsoom" stories so wildly entertaining. Yes, it was an expensive movie to make - but it shows it all on the screen, and then some. This film is a nice throwback to better movie making, where actual sets were built and actual locations were journeyed to, creating a level of realism you don't see in films shot on green-screen sets. Do yourself a favor and see this movie: relax, let go and enjoy one of the most entertaining films in the last several years. Expand
  37. Mar 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It´s a great movie, full of action, adventure, incredible landscapes, realistic creatures....and there is love. Anyone who loved Indy, Star Wars will love this movie. Dejah Thoris will rule forever. Expand
  38. Apr 2, 2012
    The movie is fantastic, the story is very good and special effects are the best, actually when I saw it I thought it would be a success at the box office, not because it was not, I can only congratulate Disney.
  39. Mar 19, 2012
    John Carter story (book) predates Star Wars so I can see where Star Wars got some of its ideas from John Carter. The visuals were a master piece although I wasn't too impressed with the 3D, sorry but Avatar raised the bar pretty high. The story pretty much is the usual guy saves the girl then saves the world scenario, nothing new there. Remember this is a science fiction so turn off your common sense sensor and you should have fun watching all the action in this flick as I did. Not sure if there is a part 2 in the works but they certainly left the door open for it. Expand
  40. Oct 26, 2012
    Typical storyline. But quite interesting... It reminded me of Star Wars a lot. (John Carter was written decades before Star Wars)
  41. Jan 19, 2013
    I was very skeptical of this movie, I had read the plot of the books online and it sounded just too hard to accept. Then the commercials did not really shine--they focused so much on action. My father told me that the movie was great, watch it, and basically shut up on the criticisms til I had seen it. He was totally right. The richest parts of the film are the internal conflicts of the main character. The flashbacks do a beautiful job of explaining so much in mere seconds. Combine that with the civil war and lost causes and bam...great stuff. The suspension of disbelief was quite easy and about 15 minutes in it was easy to accept this view of the solar system and forget all about rovers on Mars and what we scientifically know. The final 15 minutes are a brilliant, simply brilliant ending with some twists that I won't ruin for you. A must see! Expand
  42. Jul 6, 2013
    I just gave John Carter a 10 but after months of reflection. I grew up reading the Princess of Mars and in fact all of the books in the Barsoom series. They were transformative. I remember picking up the first one, probably out of order, as a child in the school library. I read about the Green Man from Mars and my life changed. So, I approached this film with huge skepticism and watched it with an eye jaundiced by what I perceived to be the Disney-fication of it. Meanwhile, I read about the marketing mess, the high budget, the overreach and the staleness (these were the critics and the Hollywood blogs). But no other film, short of perhaps one of the early Star Wars films, has touched me as when John Carter at the end whispers the incantation followed by "Barsoom". My God this was a romantic story. Not perfect, but on a scale of 1 to 10, it touched my heart and soul (or certainly the heart and soul of the little girl who first imagined the distant worlds and the fiery Princess and the brave John Carter and his friend, the Green Man Tars Tarkas) at the level of 10. Barsoom. Expand
  43. Mar 19, 2012
    Having read such negative reviews from the critics, I was unsure if I would drop $20 on it. I had some cheap tickets and thought it was worth a risk. i am so glad I did. Thoroughly enjoyable spectacle, I enjoyed it immensely.
    Well made, well paced, great story...just don't expect it to be a masterpiece of cerebral film-making that the critics and the pretentious gush over.
  44. Mar 22, 2012
    As a person who plays many many computer games, I was not expecting to be entertained as much I I thought I would when I wen to see this movie. Now I have not real the Novels but I was taken aback by how well this movie had been put together, the visual effects are rather excellent, the characters meaningful and true to human nature.

From what I gather this movie is not true to the
    original story but this tends to happen and I think the story is true and particularly well put together.

I would certainly recommend this movie to almost everyone even, I went into this movie purely to just "see a movie" and I came out extremely happy with my choice.
  45. Apr 10, 2012
    I went into this movie with my family not expecting too much for what I was gonna see. We just wanted to see a cool movie in the theater because we hadn't been to the movie theater for a long while, up until March. Let me tell you though, I thought this movie was very surprising. My family and I have never read the book of John Carter on Mars, so that might be why I was surprised by how the story turned out. All the sort of alien creatures that John Carter meets, are awesome. The acting involved with the aliens are quite believable. The plot is well told as well, and with a good supporting cast, it makes for some good dialogue. Okay maybe not outstanding dialogue, but it is well done. My point is, if you go into this movie not expecting much out of it, and maybe if you haven't read any info or read the book, except maybe seeing a trailer or TV spot, than you'll probably be quite surprised by John Carter. So the verdict on this movie I give John Carter, a 8.1 out of 10. Now it's not the most amazing movie I've seen, that's for sure, but it is quite good. Expand
  46. Mar 29, 2012
    Great movie for the whole family. John Carter is a funny, action packed movie. Yo will enjoy the time spent on the script, and effects. I watched it with my parents and they laughed more thank I did.
  47. May 19, 2012
    I was thinking this movie would stink when I took notice of the critics reviews but It wasn't. In fact, it makes up for a nice and entertaining fantasy story with a twist in the ending that holds your breath to the very last minutes. Indeed a nice movie, I enjoyed watching it. This does not contain a juggled story like Avatar with an "okay usa!" feeling.
  48. Mar 10, 2012
    Visually, it feels like a mix between Avatar and Mars Needs Moms. The special effects are amazing and there is a great twist to the ending. It is a lot of fun.
  49. Jul 9, 2012
    This movie deserved better attention than it got in theaters. It is on par with the top Star Wars and Avatar graphics in terms of special effects. Although the story is dumb overall it is fun and a romance at that. I loved the movie, had lots of fun watching it, and when I showed it on my 3D TV to people who were wanting to watch a movie they LOVED it. Actually they were completely blown away by the movie and wondering why they didn't ever hear of it before. It is block buster in all aspects and it deserves a sequel. Expand
  50. Jun 6, 2012
    This was actually a really good movie. I didn't expect much in terms of story, but it delivered the goods in full. I really hope they make a sequel sooner rather than later.
  51. Mar 12, 2012
    I'm in my 50's and I took my 12 yr old boy to see this movie. We saw the regular 2D digital version. We were both thoroughly entertained by the story and the visuals. We want to see it again! Those who want to pick this movie apart for any reason they can think of (critics and users), and then compare it to all other sci-fi that has come before it, are totally missing the point of this Edgar Rice Burroughs classic, and their whinings should be dismissed. Go see this movie and have a good time! Expand
  52. Jul 23, 2012
    John Carter has a good story and even though its a full 2 hours it never gets boring which is a real achievement these days. The setting and its aliens and red humans are interesting and most of the CGI is very good. It totally overdoes the jumping thing in the 1st half of the movie but it looks good and there are good battle scenes.
  53. Mar 12, 2012
    Saw the movie John Carter of Mars this weekend with my wife.
    Edgar Rice Burroughs, who also authored the Tarzan novels and Lost World novels like Land that Time Forgot and At the Earth's Core introduced me to Sci Fi/pulp adventure reading. So I was looking forward to seeing his novel about Martian cannels, sky ships, Martian princesses, and 4 armed green Martians now that CGI could bring
    it off on the Big Screen. I was a little worried if they could bring it off. There had been some talk of the Mars curse for Movies but they sure did.
    She was surprised just how much she enjoyed the film. So good clean action flick with great CGI. They took some liberties with the story, but for Hollywood, they stayed very close to the spirit. I think ERB would have liked it.
  54. Mar 11, 2012
    A+ Cowritten by Michael Chabon John Carter is the best sci fi movie in ages. Part steampunk, part Raiders of the Lost Ark, the action moves fast and the acting is surprisingly top notch. The story pays a nice homage to John Carter creator E R Burroughs in the frame story. The effects are as good as Avatar. A must see for sci-fi fans.
  55. Mar 11, 2012
    Had a lot of fun with this one, which I've been waiting for ever since I read the books as a young teenage boy. Don't listen to the naysayers, John Carter is a good time to be had at the movies. Good old school Sci-Fi adventure!
  56. Mar 12, 2012
    This is a very good movie! Fast paced plot, some damn good special effects, and there was some chemistry between the two stars. I absolutely liked it.
  57. Mar 12, 2012
    Best movie of it's kind in years! This one is in the same class as STAR WARS and RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. It's a science fiction masterpiece. It's an absolutely perfect movie.
  58. Mar 20, 2012
    The film is exactly what you expect going in. There is a decent plot supplemented by gorgeous backgrounds and the occasional action scene. Shakespeare this is not, but is a genuine good time with its mixture of humor, scifi, and western themes.
  59. Mar 15, 2012
    I watched this movie in 3D and really liked the special effect and the kind of imagination the created. I liked the characters and aliens that were statistical. Really good movie and worth the money..
  60. Mar 15, 2012
    My wife and I had a great night at the movies with this film. I read the books when I was around twelve, was anticipating a great movie, and was not disappointed. I am surprised that some of the reviews lead one to believe that this film was influenced by "Star Wars" and "Avatar" when in reality those films were influenced by the John Carter series of books.
  61. Mar 23, 2012
    A fun and fantastic adventure story. Wonderful, imaginative settings and characters, and it feels like a return to the fun romps of Star Wars and Indiana Jones- back when they were good!
  62. Mar 18, 2012
    Fantastic movie, I absolutely loved it. I have read the entire works of Edgar Rice Burroughs and I believe he
    would endorse this movie. The story was written in 1912 and the movie is a good rendition of the book.
    The 3D and digital effects and film technology available today have made it possible to bring to life this
    great story by one of the greatest writers of all time. Tarzan,
    Journey to the Center of the Earth and other of
    his stories have been made into movies before. I sincerely hope sequels follow as there are more novels
    in the series.
  63. Mar 22, 2012
    This is one of very few movies I actually enjoyed watching. It delivered for me even though I did not expect it to. I actually cared about the characters and enjoyed the story. Something that happens very rarely for me these days.
  64. Mar 29, 2012
    I remember when I first saw the trailer I was like who the F is John Carter? Unfortunately Disney didn't do much to inform me. So one day I decided to do some google research for myself. Since the movie looked good and I love sci-fi, I was slightly interested. I soon found out that this was actually a 100 year old book series that was written by the same dude that wrote Tarzan. Edgar Rice Burroughs. And most sci-fi films including Star Wars and Avatar are ripoffs of these original stories. The more I learned about it (on my own, no thanks to Disney marketing) the more I was interested to see it. I still hated the title though. I figured if I said it, others would also say; Who the F is John Carter? I finally went to see it, and I just loved it. My favorite stand out performance was Lynn Collins as Dejah Thoris. Sexy, smart and strong. I'm really happy I didn't heed negative reviews and went to see it. It inspired me to read the original books (100% FREE by the way on Kindle store). Expand
  65. Mar 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Expand
  66. Apr 6, 2012
    In this opinion John Carter turn out to be a hell of movie that I have seen. Despite the films disappointment by Disney, bad reviews from the critics, and the box office in North America, John Carter was stronger in overseas box office . the screenplay was okay(details need more to the story.), Andrew Stanton did a good job for directing the film, Taylor Kitsch did better in this film(maybe his best breakthrough role or his next upcoming film Battleship.). Lynn Collins did also better in this film too(a breakthrough role for her.) Willem Dafoe is a well know actor, this is his by far best work he ever did. I hope they go on doing the next book to Edgar Rice Burroughs masterpiece series: the Gods of Mars. John Carter is one of my best films I have seen so far. Expand
  67. Apr 5, 2012
    What the critics missed was that this was not the wall-to-wall action-fest that Disney promoted -- it was a romantic sci-fi saga that remained true to the Edgar Rice Burroughs novels AND had wonderfully stirring action in support of that. What I will remember most is the absolutely flawless pacing of the entire movie from beginning to end.
  68. Apr 6, 2012
    I loved this movie, it had great action, great CG and a lot more romance than any of the trailers showed. The ending was well thought out and it really brought the film to a wonderful conclusion that left you wanting to see the next movie... which I hope they make!
  69. Apr 12, 2012
    this film to my expectation was a complete and great way to show the mixing of star wars with avatar. its cgi and the essence of religion and creativity with the transporting of humans to different planets was a smart move. this film really had me on the edge of my seat. making me think "what next"and for the first time in my rating history with films this is one im giving a 9.5. its a great film and recommend it to the lovers of Disney and others who are interested to see what others say...well this is one of them :D enjoy. Expand
  70. Apr 27, 2012
    An extraordinary movie!! I was overwhelmed by this visually beautiful epic! I was immersed in the story from the very beginning 'til the end...then went to see it again a few days later. Perfect casting with Taylor Kitsch as John Carter and Lynn Collins as Dejah....two more beautiful people would be hard to find!
  71. Jun 7, 2012
    This movie grossed two hundred eighty million worldwide by June 2012. This is old fashioned Saturday afternoon science fiction fantasy story telling at its best. Maybe after we all buy the DVD, Disney will start making the sequels. Have "Critics" forgotten how to have fun at the movies.
  72. Jun 10, 2012
    I think this is one of the greatest movie by Disney's Studio, I don't know why it was so undervalued in box office... what a pity! Edgar Rice Burroughs created an amazing story with charismatic characters in an imaginative world; Disney takes these element and mixes them into a daydreaming movie with an excellent cast! Hope that a sequel will be released soon 4 fans!
  73. Jul 22, 2012
    Thia movie is brilliant! I absolutely LOVED it! The action was incredible, the effects were gorgeous and the story was absolutely amazing! Please, please, PLEASE, help support this fantastic movie and go see it RIGHT NOW!
  74. MFC
    Aug 27, 2012
    If you liked the original Star Wars as a kid I can't see you not liking this. I have watched it more than once already and will watch it again. I was bored by Avatar but loved this.
  75. Jan 14, 2013
    I loved this movie. I cant believe people say bad things about yet hpe up movies like The Hunger Games. If you like movies that take you to another world this is a must watch. I actualy watched it a couple months ago and have yet to watch a movie at it`s level. I don`t care what other people think but wish more people liked it so that could make another one.
  76. Jan 13, 2013
    Having read the John Carter series of books as a boy and loving them, I was somewhat hesitant to see this movie. My hesitation was unfounded because I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a great visual escape into a world I had known and loved as a boy. The effects were wonderful and the acting was very good. I highly recommend this movie.
  77. Feb 14, 2013
    I read the book in the 50 's as a boy, in fact all of Ned's books. I really like the movie simply because of the subject matter, however the cutting room floor and finances is probably why so much is missing. I would have left the original opening scenes i think. It requires reading the book to understand some of the transitions and several key chapters from the book are missing which would help with context and connectivity. I hope Disney comes back and produces Warlord of Mars as a sequel. Expand
  78. Jul 21, 2013
    'John Carter' is brilliant, and I'd love to see a sequel. The cast is perfect, the plot, pace, cinematography, CGI, it's all very good. What it is, is a swashbuckling, Errol Flynn-like melodrama set in space, as the author intended. It is, dare I say 'traditional' story telling, in turns funny, exciting, dramatic, and easily as good as any Spielberg or Lucas production. What it isn't, is the kind of film deemed interesting to the critics, because they've unfairly panned it. I even shed a tear at the end, I was that caught-up in this fantastic, old school space adventure. Highly recommended. Expand
  79. Apr 1, 2014
    This was an awesome movie. The writing is brilliant, the acting is exactly right, and the action is good to great. The reason critics did not like it is because they are too busy watching bad Pixar talking animal movies. If you want to know where Dune, Start Wars, and tons of other sci-fi classics come from, see this movie. And then read the comics from the 70s.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Mar 19, 2012
    Burroughs invented a primal fiction: a man winds up on another planet, and has to find his way among strange creatures. Sticking to that fable, which was central to "Avatar," might have saved John Carter, but Stanton loses its appealing simplicity in too many battles, too many creatures, too many redundant episodes. [26 March 2012, p.108]
  2. Reviewed by: Jonathan Crocker
    Mar 18, 2012
    Get your ass to Mars? A handsome new sci-fi adventure that feels rather familiar. Enjoyable enough while it lasts, John Carter is big on ambition and disappointingly short on action.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 18, 2012
    Dejah, with her seen-it-all-before smirk, is not a very sympathetic heroine, and Kitsch is stolid and dull. And as for the red planet, the answer to David Bowie's famous question is no. What a sadd'ning bore it is.