5.1

1. caporegime
    Jun 10, 2009
    All visual effects spectacle.
  2. JRH
    Jul 11, 2008
    I can't think of one good thing to say about it. We thought it couldn't be too bad if Brendan Fraser was in it. Wrong.
  3. Jan 28, 2012
    Journey to the center of the Earth is funny, entertaining and visually dazzling and the chemistry between the three stars lights up the screen which helps the film be a heartfelt and surprisingly original adventure. I give this movie 79%.
  4. Nov 15, 2012
    It's not completely unbearable, but the script is trash, and the CGI effects are mediocre at best.
  5. BrendanF
    Oct 20, 2008
    I'd highly recommend this movie to anyone. Considering it's little more than a gimmick to promote the use of 3d, this film is far better than it has any right to be. The film maker cast the movie well, and made a great decision to make it take place in a modern time period rather than constraining it to being a period piece. It doesn't follow the book very closely, but it I'd highly recommend this movie to anyone. Considering it's little more than a gimmick to promote the use of 3d, this film is far better than it has any right to be. The film maker cast the movie well, and made a great decision to make it take place in a modern time period rather than constraining it to being a period piece. It doesn't follow the book very closely, but it has it's own plot that centers around the book. It's nothing deep, but it's great fun. Expand
  6. phils.
    Jul 26, 2008
    Excellent Saturday morning fun. My 6 year old loved - and that is who it is aimed at - excellent cartoon fun.
  7. JayH.
    Oct 23, 2008
    Granted, not a deep and meaningful movie, but it was a hell of a lot of fun to watch. Good special effects, imaginative, very well paced and highly entertaining. I very much enjoyed it.
  8. ConcreteTester
    Jul 12, 2008
    Well made. Slightly childish. Makers probably thought they needed 3D to make the story interesting. Of the course the orginal movies was better.
  9. JamieR.
    Jul 10, 2008
    The movie delivers what it promises... a fun ride for the whole family. Is it a perfect movie? No. Are the visual effects great? No. Is the acting riveting? No. But who cares... it entertainment.
  10. AaronN.
    Jul 19, 2008
    (Not a rating of movie itself, but more like the plot) How can this be that bad? Well, Ian mcshane isnt in it so it has to be REALLY Terrible! I mean, how popular was Narnia when it came out to knock off of it?
  11. RichardW.
    Jul 20, 2008
    Went with my two children and we all loved this movie. It is as advertised....fun and humorous. We found the 3-D effects to be awesome and realistic.Evidently from the startled gasps of others they agreed. At times you feel a need to move to get out of the way of what looks like objects coming right at you. Loved the story and action and amazingly in today's cinema, not one Went with my two children and we all loved this movie. It is as advertised....fun and humorous. We found the 3-D effects to be awesome and realistic.Evidently from the startled gasps of others they agreed. At times you feel a need to move to get out of the way of what looks like objects coming right at you. Loved the story and action and amazingly in today's cinema, not one objectional word or action...hooray! Expand
  12. AdrianM.
    Jun 30, 2008
    I thought this was a great action movie. It's not a James Bond- type of action film, but it worked out well with some comedy mixed in with it. It wasn't as corny as you might expect it to be. Brendan Fraser and Anita Briem gave good performances It's a good movie to bring the whole family to. The 3D aspect wasn't perfect but definitely made it more interesting. My I thought this was a great action movie. It's not a James Bond- type of action film, but it worked out well with some comedy mixed in with it. It wasn't as corny as you might expect it to be. Brendan Fraser and Anita Briem gave good performances It's a good movie to bring the whole family to. The 3D aspect wasn't perfect but definitely made it more interesting. My advice is to sit somewhere in the middle of the theatre. Expand
  13. Thismoviesucks
    Jul 12, 2008
    Amazingly bad dialouge, fx and redicuously unrealistic stunts.
  14. Brandon
    Jul 13, 2008
    How people did not learn anything after the first Mummy movie is beyond me. Consistently dreadful dialog and endless greenscreen usage is all I see. Don't waste your hard-earned money on this tripe.
  15. CyrusG.
    Jul 14, 2008
    The screen writing comes across as relatively easy. Once the professor, the nephew, and the tour guide fall into the center of the earth, the movie goes into autopilot and becomes predictable. But this is not a bad thing. Here's a movie that never takes itself seriously and simply admits that it is a silly and campy adventure story. If you just sit back, turn off the brain, and The screen writing comes across as relatively easy. Once the professor, the nephew, and the tour guide fall into the center of the earth, the movie goes into autopilot and becomes predictable. But this is not a bad thing. Here's a movie that never takes itself seriously and simply admits that it is a silly and campy adventure story. If you just sit back, turn off the brain, and relax, you will enjoy the movie. My only complaints is that the movie lacks ambition and the emotional parts feel cheesy. Expand
  16. EdwardS.
    Jul 17, 2008
    In 3D, in a theater with 1st class projection and the proper screen, this film is the most fun of any I've seen this summer - not the best, nor the most serious, nor the most worthy - just the most fun. It is what it is - a cotton-candy fun-house ride, and a perfectly enjoyable one.
  17. keikd.
    Jul 17, 2008
    You people are weird i mean this was the best movie EVA!!!!!!! you are all stupid and listen to the critics.
  18. paull.
    Jul 22, 2008
    This modern version of it couldn't handle the same element of the old one and kept using this as a vehicle for Fraser. This film sucks.
  19. DaleM
    Jul 27, 2008
    The movie never takes itself seriously. It's whole purpose is fun and it succeeds at its purpose. A real relief after some comic book movies which take themselves a bit too seriously.
  20. paige
    Jul 30, 2008
    I defanitly had fun and it was enjoyable. This is mainly a movie for a younger audience. Only because there was no adult humor and such unbelievable events that happen.
  21. ShepD.
    Aug 8, 2008
    It was totally a kick -- but has to be viewed in 3-d.
  22. BatW
    May 31, 2009
    This is absolutely one of the worst films I've ever seen. Horrendous story line, horrendous acting...the special effects may be the only redeeming value, but that can't even save this movie. Trite, vapid and a movie that should appeal to small children or those who have been lobotomized. I can't believe anyone would give this movie anything over a score of 1.
  23. HyperS
    Dec 9, 2008
    An amusement park for the imagination. How can you go wrong with that? Its one outlandish stunt after another covered in eye candy. If you can turn off the brain, ignore Newton's law of gravity for a hour and a half, and take it for what its worth and I guarantee the entire family will enjoy it.
  24. ChadS.
    Jul 12, 2008
    A rock pile is found on the littoral of an acheronian beach, determined by the exploration party to be the remains of a long, lost brother and father. Since the laws of physics precludes the deceased from being a gravedigger, basic syllogism dictates that the dead man was not alone. But for some unknown reason, nobody broaches the possibility of being under observation by an other, or A rock pile is found on the littoral of an acheronian beach, determined by the exploration party to be the remains of a long, lost brother and father. Since the laws of physics precludes the deceased from being a gravedigger, basic syllogism dictates that the dead man was not alone. But for some unknown reason, nobody broaches the possibility of being under observation by an other, or that the dearly departed might have been the digger. The two men have a good cry and move on. Maybe the boy's father trained the dinosaur to dig a hole. Attention to detail was apparently reserved for the 3D effects(kind of bitchin'), because "Journey to the Center of the Earth" handles this awesome safari like a treacherous camping trip. At one point, Trevor Anderson(Brendan Fraser) tells Hannah(Anita Briem) to go home, as if it was a matter of canoe or raft. All she has to do is reach the river, according to the professor, who must possess some arcane knowledge about vertically flowing water that can bust through layer after layer of rock. What this movie needed was for the actors to convey a sense of their isolation from the terraneous world. They don't seem terribly concerned about where they're situated. As a result, the center of the world seems more like a theme park. Expand
  25. DanielH.
    Jul 13, 2008
    The best 3D sequences in the movie were the opening and closing credits. Nowhere else in the movie was the 3D used as effectively. I could hear the kids in the theatre yawning once the intitial thrill of the 3D wore off.
  26. KelvinL.
    Jul 14, 2008
    May keep you entertained long enough to determine whether your headache was caused by the 3D glasses or the mind numbing dialog. A completely silent crowd after a big punchline is never a good sign.
  27. Fantasy
    Jul 16, 2008
    TURKEY time in July. In line for the Raspberry for the worst movie of the year. Avoid.
  28. LA.
    Jul 23, 2008
    This is an OK young kids movie. But when the 3D is added it is a really fun movie for any aged person who has some love of fun in them.
  29. MasonB.
    Jul 29, 2008
    Other than the 3-D effects used from top to the center of the earth, it's pretty bad. Movie: 4 With 3-D: 6

1. Reviewed by: John Anderson
    A more unavoidable obstacle here is that there's not much in the way of plot -- the story is in the tour through the labyrinthian intimacies of inner Earth. As such, it's an f/x wizard's dream, and Brevig makes the most of it.
  2. It would be barely passable under normal circumstances, but in 3-D it's a circus of excellent FX.
    If the 3D here is better than average, SLIGHTLY, the rest of the movie brings it way, way down--not quite to the center of the earth, but at least a good six feet under.