5.8

1. Feb 25, 2013
    Jumper is the first film from a trilogy of books by Steven Gould, and while I loved this film, most critics panned it. The story centers around a young Davey (Hayden Christensen), who during a life-threatening event, come to realize he has the power to teleport wherever he wants. Unbeknownst to Davey, he is a member of a group of genetically superior humans known as Jumpers, who areJumper is the first film from a trilogy of books by Steven Gould, and while I loved this film, most critics panned it. The story centers around a young Davey (Hayden Christensen), who during a life-threatening event, come to realize he has the power to teleport wherever he wants. Unbeknownst to Davey, he is a member of a group of genetically superior humans known as Jumpers, who are currently at war with a religious organization, that believes their power is evil. What starts out as a simple kid having fun and trying to impress, becomes a fight for survival in this amazing action thriller. You can always tell when a story is adapted from a book, rather than an original screenplay, because the story tends to be more thought out. Not to say screenplays are bad, but when a story isn't made simply to be a movie, it tends to be much more focused on the story, where as screenplays have to worry about the story as well as the aesthetics. Nevertheless, Jumper isn't just another shoot 'em story, it's the perfect mix of action and drama with some outstanding performances. I love Hayden Christensen, who I think is made for roles like this, he has this cool demeanor to him, that's more clever than arrogant. Jamie Bell is also terrific as Griffin, a fellow jumper Davey meets along the way, and he provides some much needed comic relief. ...and then there's Samuel L. Jackson. What is there to say about Jackson that hasn't already been said? The man is a legend. This film is interesting, unique, fast-paced, and even funny. I loved every minute of Jumper and if Sci-Fi is your thing, you will too! Expand
  2. May 19, 2011
    I think the movie was quite enjoyable. What I sometimes do not understand are the casting choices. There was a chick he picked up in a bar in London, she should have played the main female character. A hundred times more attractive and hot than that small ugly chick they finally selected. Special effects were great, I did not feel the need to zap away or take a nap once, and that says a lot !
  3. JillD
    Mar 18, 2008
    I liked this movie and plan on buying it when it comes out on DVD. Rachel Bilson is great. I like the action and romance. Plus the ending was nice. The story is left open for a second movie.
  4. WilliamB.
    Jun 24, 2008
    WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE! Just finished watching this movie and I shake my head, honestly, trying to figure out what people giving Jumper under 5 are talking about. This was a decent movie! To give a sampling of my tastes, Juno 9, No country 1, There Will Be...6 (knocked down 2 JUST because of the "are you kidding me?") ending. This was an unpretentious movie with a great premise WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE! Just finished watching this movie and I shake my head, honestly, trying to figure out what people giving Jumper under 5 are talking about. This was a decent movie! To give a sampling of my tastes, Juno 9, No country 1, There Will Be...6 (knocked down 2 JUST because of the "are you kidding me?") ending. This was an unpretentious movie with a great premise that, even tho it may have moved well past the original discovery phase, managed to push the limits of the concept. WHO CARES if the action scenes were a little confusing! These are people that have powers that we don't understand fully! Hayden, although still brooding, was under way better direction than the ALWAYS has-been George Lucus. He redeemed himself in this movie as far as I'm concerned, but I'm just a knowledgable movie-goer. Expand
    Feb 16, 2008
    Its not that bad enjoy the ride.
  6. JamesB.
    Feb 22, 2008
    Ambition people, this film is probably the most ambitious origin story to a superhero you have never heard of in film history. This is part 1 of a proposed trilogy, and the kind of cahones it takes to create a property with this kind of scope is huge. While I don't think it is a perfect 10, I'm giving it one to counteract all the closeminded reviews so far.
  7. TimK.
    Jun 11, 2008
    In spite of the low reviews, I've found this movie really enjoyable. Instead of an adolescent with super powers saving the world (oh hum), he went out to have some fun. In so doing, he finds out that there are predators higher up on the food chain. For me the acting is good when I'm not thinking that he's acting, which never occurred to me in this movie. For me the special In spite of the low reviews, I've found this movie really enjoyable. Instead of an adolescent with super powers saving the world (oh hum), he went out to have some fun. In so doing, he finds out that there are predators higher up on the food chain. For me the acting is good when I'm not thinking that he's acting, which never occurred to me in this movie. For me the special effects are good when I'm not thinking it's a special effect. Again, the jumping seemed natural to my way of thinking jumping would be. I wished more information bits were dropped about the war between the paladins and the jumpers, but it got me interested in the sequel! I am looking forward to Jumper 2! Expand
  8. DanC.
    Feb 11, 2008
    Well, I'm not guarding this film, first of all I don't know what the reviews might even say. I just have my own opinion, I thought this movie rocked, it is so hard core. In 2007, the Fall season brought us many masterpieces, which gave the Academy a harder way to choose. There was American Gangster, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, Atonement, and of course AVP 2, Well, I'm not guarding this film, first of all I don't know what the reviews might even say. I just have my own opinion, I thought this movie rocked, it is so hard core. In 2007, the Fall season brought us many masterpieces, which gave the Academy a harder way to choose. There was American Gangster, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, Atonement, and of course AVP 2, just kidding. Anyway, this certainly does go up in comparison with those films. I was fairly shocked with this film. Expecting a smart Doug Liman film. And truly, it was much more than that, it retained to the concept, it was intense, its just so awesome. I loved this movie, definitely up for 2009's Oscars. Definitely. Expand
  9. DamonC.
    Feb 11, 2008
    The scenery's are stunningly looked at, and the action is way intense. A fast-paced heavily entertaining film.
  10. JordanD
    Feb 11, 2008
    Total sweetness, I loved it. It couldn't have been better, and especially smarter.
  11. ChrisT.
    Feb 14, 2008
    Very much enjoyed the action. I hope there will be a 2nd one.
  12. ZeeM
    Feb 15, 2008
    What are the Critics talkin' about - No Offense. But seriously, some times I only care about my own opinion and thats what I'm going for. This Movie was absolutely Incredible, Nice Effects and good acting, overall all out great and amazing movie. Highly recommend to people who rate movies well...
  13. ChipV
    Feb 15, 2008
    I went expecting a terrifically bad movie, and it did not disappoint. I am still haunted by the epic string of poor decisions in writing, casting, and acting in this film. Amazing.
  14. ErnieS.
    Feb 26, 2008
    I loved this movie. I can't wait for the next one.
  15. RianM.
    Feb 29, 2008
    Try as I may, I just cannot think of anything bad to say about Jumper. Science fiction and action have been rather strange bedfellows in way too many films in the past, but here they fit seamlessly together to form a smart, original, intriguing, and overall enjoyable movie-going experience. A superhero movie without any real "heroes" to speak of, Jumper bends multiple genres into a new Try as I may, I just cannot think of anything bad to say about Jumper. Science fiction and action have been rather strange bedfellows in way too many films in the past, but here they fit seamlessly together to form a smart, original, intriguing, and overall enjoyable movie-going experience. A superhero movie without any real "heroes" to speak of, Jumper bends multiple genres into a new aesthetically pleasing shape that was as welcome and refreshing to me among the sea of recent sub-par-to-horrible sci-fi action films as a bottle of water surely is to a man lost in the desert. Expand
  16. MartyW.
    Mar 2, 2008
    Rachel Bilson si soooo hot in the movie. Hayden Christianson also plays a good role. all the main characters(kids) from Catch That Kid are in the movie which gives it a little twist. Enjoy the movie. It is a must see.
  17. ThomasD.
    Mar 7, 2008
    I love this movie, I think it probably helps if you like sci-fi and or fantasy,but I can't wait for the sequel (assuming there will be one) to come out. Looking forward to the DVD release, go see the flick!
  18. AnthonyC.
    Feb 11, 2008
    Supremely amazing, the effects are astounding, it is fun to watch, and thrilling entertainment, resulting the best film of 2008 since There Will Be Blood. Hayden Christensen at his best, with a witty Samuel L. Jackson. This like nothing like ever before. It is an Oscarwinning success.
  19. MattE
    Feb 19, 2008
    Not bad character development could use a bit more.....development but otherwise entertaining to watch.
  20. TrevorH
    Feb 21, 2008
    This movie was hilarious. I mean I went stoned, but from what I remember, this movie should win an Oscar for best comedy of the year. I love most how it had no ending, it just sort of stopped. I almost pissed myself from how funny that was. I recommend seeing this movie, not just for the horrible plot, but also for the horrific acting, it was a riot.
  21. Robert
    Jun 11, 2008
    Great movie. I'm surprised to see all the negative reviews by the commercial reviewers, but I guess I shouldn't be. They all have their "artistic" views on things which can hamper a realistic view on what people might actually enjoy watching. I thought Jumper was both entertaining and well written. You should definitely give it a try (and I HATED Hayden's performance in Great movie. I'm surprised to see all the negative reviews by the commercial reviewers, but I guess I shouldn't be. They all have their "artistic" views on things which can hamper a realistic view on what people might actually enjoy watching. I thought Jumper was both entertaining and well written. You should definitely give it a try (and I HATED Hayden's performance in both Star Wars movies). Expand
  22. DariusC.
    Jun 28, 2008
    For all the critics and people who say that the movie was awful have you ever directed, acted in, produced, wrote anything that Hollywood or anyone else for that matter would watch? It irritates me when critics get paid to say a movie was good or bad when they themselves have never written or directed anything. I ENJOYED THE MOVIE FOR WHAT IT WAS.

It may be mindless and sexless and humorless, but Jumper jumps.
    The best stuff in Jumper comes early, while the movie is still busy explaining its scenario. It's only when all the pieces are in place and the story actually kicks in that things start to fall apart, and quickly.
    It's a feature-length teaser for a never-to-be sci-fi franchise.