7.7

1. Jun 7, 2013
    A simple, yet profound picture of the family. Amy Adams is a revelation and is the real heart and soul of the film; she gives an adorable but tragic performance well deserving of her Oscar nomination.
  2. May 31, 2013
    The best parts of this movie are easily when Adams is on screen giving her hilarious and very moving performance. This is still her best work to date. However, when she is not on screen, the movie is filled with boring camera shots and awkward conversations that try to pass as "art", but I am not convinced. It also dragged big time by the end, but it was still a somewhat satisfying little film.
  3. BKM
    Apr 25, 2013
    Junebug attempts to explore the enormous cultural and social gulf between red and blue state America by honing in on the disconnects between individuals, particularly family members and spouses. It's all handled with intelligence and care, but carries no dramatic weight. Much of the animosity amongst these characters is revealed by what isn't said, and in Junebug that's a lot. So muchJunebug attempts to explore the enormous cultural and social gulf between red and blue state America by honing in on the disconnects between individuals, particularly family members and spouses. It's all handled with intelligence and care, but carries no dramatic weight. Much of the animosity amongst these characters is revealed by what isn't said, and in Junebug that's a lot. So much so that it's difficult to care what the reasons actually are. Expand
  4. Aug 23, 2010
    A film that I found quite scary though it wasn't a scary film by any means. How an outsider affects the nearest and dearest of your own nearest and dearest and left me wondering how I would myself, a Britisher like Embeth Davidz's character, cope with a real American family. It felt so alien. I must see more of the Real America. New York it ain't!

1. Reviewed by: Bob Westal
    An admirable film, but its charms will be visible only to the most patient filmgoers.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    Has a washed-out look that may be off-putting to auds who might otherwise enjoy the pic's uncondescending view of Southern characters and customs.
    It's an exhilaratingly decentered tale, with the perspective shifting around so there's no character with whom we totally identify throughout.