Release Date: November 27, 2003
8.7
Universal acclaim based on 107 Ratings
WATCH NOW
FromShadowsMay 18, 2012
Normally I dont care much about music but damnit this movie has so many of the excellent ones and a good story. It is a nice movie the one which sends you entertained and something to think about. All in all an excellent entertainer.
airgear247Dec 20, 2013
No other movie has affected my life like this movie, whenever i hear the music i remember the heartfelt moments and fantastic movie. These critics reviewing the movie didn't even know that the actors actually don't sing but lip sync! That isNo other movie has affected my life like this movie, whenever i hear the music i remember the heartfelt moments and fantastic movie. These critics reviewing the movie didn't even know that the actors actually don't sing but lip sync! That is embarrassing! I am proud to call this movie my favorite! I am a movie buff and out of all of the movies i have watched this is the one I consider to be the greatest! Expand
VISHAALS.Dec 24, 2003
HAI AI WANT HIS MOVIE.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
DouaV.Jul 18, 2005
Very few Bollywood like this. An instant classic! The best I've seen since...well, there's really none like it. I liked it much more than Dil Chahta Hai, and that was supposedly better... In any case, must-see!
[Anonymous]Dec 23, 2003
Absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!! great fun, comedy, and romantic and tears at the same time!!!! all in one!!! truly ENTERTAINING!!!
MMDec 31, 2003
2 gut!!! was totally outstandinn!! luved the songs and me a person who never cries in movies, actually cried! hehe all ma friends stared at me! ;)..
R.L.Dec 26, 2003
This movie was awesome! kal ho naa ho made me laugh, cry, and want to get up out of my seat and dance the night away! shah rukh khan is a real angel! goo srk!
RahmatH.Jan 4, 2004
It's very touching in the middle part of the story and very sad when it ends.....very good movie, if only i can rate this movie at 100 it would be by pleasure....
MelissaS.Jan 2, 2004
AMAZING movie..one of the best hindi movies ive ever seen..bein a guju..a lot of the cracks on guju were reallyy funnyy..i jus lovedd it..SOO great.
AnupasasiJan 2, 2004
It is a gr8 movie it is on top of the world.
KarenD.Dec 10, 2003
This was the best hindi movie ever!!..The music.. the actors...all sum up to make this a fantastic movie.
EFIKAR.Dec 21, 2003
i love this movie very much.so simple and gorgeous!i like all the song!
SareenaD.Dec 21, 2003
I love this movie!! It is the best movie I have ever seen. It makes you cry, laugh and smile all in one movie. The acting was fabulous and the plot was just fantastic!
TiffanyDec 23, 2003
Awesome movie!! The story line was really good and the songs were great!!
LubabaH.Dec 24, 2003
This movie is what I call great. I think this is a wonderfully inspiring movie. I just love this movie ... I love this movie so much. I have the soundtrack and the DVD and everything of it. It should receive more than ten stars! I give it This movie is what I call great. I think this is a wonderfully inspiring movie. I just love this movie ... I love this movie so much. I have the soundtrack and the DVD and everything of it. It should receive more than ten stars! I give it 100 million zilliion ... stars ... if there was anything like that. This movie, overall was a greast movie. Expand
AnjanaS.Dec 26, 2003
Dedicating ur life to love is great. shahrukh is outstanding. i just loved this movie.
HutchinsonDec 25, 2003
i don't usually watch Hindi movies and i reluctantly dragged myself to this movie. But it surprised the hell out of me by actually moving me to tears. everyone's acted extremely well and contributed tremendously to the movie. i don't usually watch Hindi movies and i reluctantly dragged myself to this movie. But it surprised the hell out of me by actually moving me to tears. everyone's acted extremely well and contributed tremendously to the movie. Absolutely outstanding music. well done guys. Expand
BeckyAl-R.Dec 26, 2003
Truly amazing, i tried to hold back my tears but at the end i figured i'd feel much better if i just let them out .. very moving and it reminded me of NY , and how much i miss it :(
AbdurahmanS.Dec 30, 2003
Brilliant movie. Yash Chopra youv'e done it again.
BabrS.Dec 4, 2003
I like to watch this when I am with my guy friends.
EmadG.Dec 4, 2003
I love this movie!!!
KarthikB.Dec 9, 2003
One of the best entertaining indian films.
MarufH.Sep 5, 2004
Hi, I'm from Bangladesh. This is the 2nd best movie I've ever seen. 1st is Kuch Kuch Hota Hai off course. I think SRK's best performence was this film. Others acting was also of the highest quality.
AminaL.Sep 23, 2004
Great Movie. Totally changed the way I look at life. Don't know if I could do what Aman did though. My Favorite Movie.
NedaY.Aug 12, 2004
It was awesome.. and good.. i cried like heck.. tears.. its soo good that i hope it gives people inspiration and teaches people to not take things for granted.
RyanD.Jul 6, 2004
It's a very very very nice movie. preity and saif and shahrukh acted very well.
MadihaR.Jan 8, 2004
it is super duper duper hit.i love this movie kal ho naa ho.
JamalU.Jan 9, 2004
Kal Ho Na Ho is the greatest film ever! Preity Zinta is the best and deserves an award for this film. This film made me cry at times and laugh...a trully great film. Songs were brilliant...well done Karan!
TG.Jan 9, 2004
It's the best movie i've seen yet. went to india and went to the cinema to see it but didnt know about the movie before. it's really great !!!!!
KumarV.Dec 2, 2003
If there's anything the above reviewers (obviously not Bollywood regulars)reveal to us, it's that it takes a special person to apreciate a great Bollywood movie. There's the constant melodrama, the endless love triangles and If there's anything the above reviewers (obviously not Bollywood regulars)reveal to us, it's that it takes a special person to apreciate a great Bollywood movie. There's the constant melodrama, the endless love triangles and dress changes, the randomly inserted songs and hammy dialogue...not to mention the age-old desire to be everything to every viewer. There are so many Hollywood-esque problems that threaten its quality, so many qualms that any self-respecting American critic would feel compelled to point out, that loving it seems like a chore. If anybody can do so, however, it is an Indian. And I LOVE being an Indian. KAL HO NAA HO ("Tomorrow May or May Not Come") is the third film involving writer-director Karan Johar and Dharma Productions, an Indian film label that has become synonymous with box-office and critical gold. Their first two productions, KUCH KUCH HOTA HAI and KABHI KHUSHI KABHIE GHAM were both , in their respective times, the most popular Hindi films of all time, and with good reason. They were the ultimate crowd pleasers: a perfect mix of comedy and drama with compelling stories, masterful performances, catchy music, and impeccable direction. They hit every emotional high and low possible in the typical Bollywood audience, and the end results were magnificent. KAL HO NAA HO continues this tradition in grand style. Naina Catherine (Priety Zinta) is the eldest daughter of Jenny Kapoor (Jaya Bachchan) and a father whose suicide has wreaked havoc on the entire Kapoor family. The constant bickering among the members of her household has transformed Naina into a pitiful bore who has "forgotten" how to smile. Her best friend is Rohit (Saif Ali Khan), a fellow MBA student who has seen Naina through all her troubles. The two have never been more than just friends. Along comes Aman Mathur (Shah Rukh Khan), a charasmatic man who enters the Kapoors' home and changes their lives for the better, much to Naina's dismay. Aman helps every member of the family with any problem and seems to have all the answers - he is perfect. Aman eventually wins over Naina and changes her into a smiling young woman once again, but not before she begins to have feelings for him. What's more, Rohit soon reveals that he loves Naina. Yet all is not as it seems. There are secrets to be uncovered, pasts to be mended, and futures to be made, and what the trio find out may suprise them. This is, firstly, an immesnly pleasing film. The first half jumps right into the act with some wonderfully comedic scenes showcasing the talent of all three leads and the flair of first-time director Nikhil Advani. A particular scene involving a housemaid who suspects Aman and Rohit of being gay is among the most humorous Hindi film moments I've seen. Karan Johar's forté with dialogue really shines here -everything is quick-witted and funny, yet never insulting to the intelligence (many Hindi films can be). We grow to love and care about these characters quickly, but thankfully characterization does not bog down the forward motion of the marrative. The first 90 minutes literally flies by. The most noticable aspect of KHNH is the tone the writer and director bring to the film: it's incredibly energetic and light, and takes chances with material that worked for me. Many times, the characters seem to speak one-on-one with the camera in an interview style to convey personal feelings or thoughts, an interesting tactic. There are other little touches: the "Day 1", "Day 2", etc. introductions stand out in particular (see the film to find out what I mean). There is an incredible scope and vibrant feel to the movie, as in an Dharma production. The second half of the film gives all involved a chance to really shine. Once the twist is revealed, things take a downward turn and the climax begins. Much of the light tone from the first 90 minutes creeps its way into the second half at all the right moments, but there are some truly heart-wrenching scenes toward the end of the film. This is to be expected, but their impact is heightened by the skill of the filmmakers. In most cases, Hindi films pile crying scenes on top of one another in the hope of eliciting some, if any, reponses from the audience, but KHNH succeeds due to solid characterization and wonderful performances. This is clearly Shah Rukh Khan's film, and he acts his heart out. It's the same performance we've seen a million times from him, but his skills aren't broke so they don't need any tuning. His screen prescence is unmatched in this industry, and he captivates you during both the comedic and emotional scenes. This was a chance for him to paly a different type of character, and his natural charisma lends itself well to what the part requires. Priety Zinta finally steps into the limelight as Naina with a wonderful performance that reveals her true potential. Watching her onscreen transformation is as unexpected as it is alluring. Saif Ali Khan essentially echoes his character from DIL CHAHTA HAI, but the magic has not worn off. He has a knack for playing the straight man with unfulfilled, and still unkonwn, desires. Supporting performances are from the usual Johar suspects and are accordingly wonderful. Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy finally enter the Johar ring with this entry and certainly hold their own. The title song is my choice for song of the year - a gently sung ballad about living life to the fullest, complimented by wonderful lyrics from Javed Akhtar and great singing by Sonu Nigam. The other romantic song, "Kuch To Hua Hai" is a very contemporary song with an international flavor that manages to please with an unusual beat and interesting composition. "It's The Time To Disco" is the loser of this disc, although its film picturization is likable enough, and the much hyped "Pretty Woman" (yes, based on the classic American song) is surprisingly upbeat and entertaining. The obligatory BSMDGC (Big Set, Many Dancers, Good Choreography) dance number is "Maahi Ve", a very catchy tune that bears some resemblance to the hit "Shava Shava" from KABHI KHUSHI KABHIE GHAM. Farah Khan's onscreen choreography for the song does not disappoint, and the art direction is simply marvelous. This film marks a new standard for Hindi film editing, and shows just how much Bollywood has learned from its L.A. counterpart. We have quick cuts, new wipes, and even splitscreens...all used wisely and not for cheap effect. The editing really brings the first half of the film to life, giving every song a "get up and dance" feeling that never hurts. Above all, this is Nikhil Advani's film. Remarkably, this novice helmer shows no signs of being a rookie. In true Johar style, he handles all the film's emotional scenes, a perennial marker for directorial excellence, with confidence and talent. Having served before as assistant director to Karan Johar and Aditya Chopra, Advani pulls out all the stops here, giving us epic, dramatic camera direction, eliciting great performances, and near-perfect pacing. Sure, a good 10 minutes shaved off the finished product would be in the film's favor, but it is a minor qubble in a sea of compliments. This is ultimately a story about hope and love - the hope to keep moving and beliving, the love to keep surviving. It is a story about the choices we make for love and the effects those choices have on our loved ones. It is about living life to the fullest and seizing the day, for Kal Ho Naa Ho? Expand
NicoleD.Feb 2, 2004
I think this movie is da best! I cried alot every time i see it !my frend make fun of me cuz i talk bout it soo much buh do i mind who cares dis movie is da best off all!!!! I luv SRK he is soo fine and sexy! Damn i wish i can see him in I think this movie is da best! I cried alot every time i see it !my frend make fun of me cuz i talk bout it soo much buh do i mind who cares dis movie is da best off all!!!! I luv SRK he is soo fine and sexy! Damn i wish i can see him in real live! Luv u SRK! Pritty waz good i really liked her actin in dis movie!and saif waz goos also! Buh i LUV SRK the most! Expand
NayyarahA.Feb 7, 2004
It was the best movie ever!!!!:) Shahrukh khan was the best. Thats no surprise. i love him. he is the bomb!!!! Priety zinta was also good. I likes it. It was worth watchin!!!
R.A.MJan 10, 2004
A superb tale that combines romance,humor, and style that is blended together into the perfect recipe of success.
RadjiJ.Jan 11, 2004
Excellent movie!!
RohitS.Jan 16, 2004
Beautiful and touching film gotta see it 1s in a life time at least.
NILABM.Feb 28, 2004
Hey sharukhan you can win everything because you are the best actor that i now.
MRINALK.Feb 9, 2004
It's one of the best movies i have seen.. pretty zinta was looking fabulas, dashing, damm beautiful.. as her name is. she has been improving with each movie n i am an ardent fan of hers.
HuzaifaZ.Feb 11, 2004
This a good movie. Shah rukh Khan should win a award.
VishalV.Feb 20, 2004
Sexy movie. Shahrukh, Priety, Saif have acted superbly, This will win a award in the Manikchand Filmfare awards. Priety's Sexy in this movie. Good work Yash Raj Films
GuyanesePrincessJan 13, 2004
BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR .... Sharukh Khan YOU ARE SO SEXY MAN...and Preity Zinta Great Acting and as for Saif Ali Khan....great job !
RitikaS.Jan 15, 2004
This movie was the best. Shahrukh Khan, Preity Zinta's acting was awesome. I love Preity's new hair. I give this movie 11 out of 10. Great recommendation!
AnjaliD.Feb 24, 2004
It's a great movie and certainly i would have given it 101 over 10 but 10 is the most that i could offer. SRK, Saif, Preity n the whole cast n crew have done the best. its the MOVIE OF THE CENTURY.
TinuA.Mar 21, 2004
Best senstive movie which made me to cry for the first time.
SundeepS.Feb 24, 2004
Phenominal, amazing and extraordinary. Those words fit this film all but perfectly.
AnjaliFeb 22, 2004
SRK. ur amazing. the movie was a bit cheesy but srk u made it a ten.
NeeV.Mar 20, 2004
I'm a huge fan of Shahrukh Khan and he did a wonderful job in this film. The film was extremely sad for me, I think I cried when the second half was on. The dialouge was beaufully written and the lyrics of all the songs were I'm a huge fan of Shahrukh Khan and he did a wonderful job in this film. The film was extremely sad for me, I think I cried when the second half was on. The dialouge was beaufully written and the lyrics of all the songs were unbelievable! 10 for the film!!! Expand
SweetAngelJan 22, 2004
Great! totally awesome dude! Sharukh gave out soo much feelin and preity she was just great and buff man saif he was hot in der film i love the storyline, loved the songs it was the best film ive ever seen!
LyaK.Jan 28, 2004
I love this movie very much. It makes me laugh and cry. shah rukh khan always makes me interest. He's so amazing, he's like the real angel. i love him so much, there's no actor like him. He's a good man. Even he'sI love this movie very much. It makes me laugh and cry. shah rukh khan always makes me interest. He's so amazing, he's like the real angel. i love him so much, there's no actor like him. He's a good man. Even he's sick but he has done his job very well. i love u, shah rukh. Expand
HamiD.Apr 10, 2004
It's a cool muv. I like the song it has juz the nice touch of rap element. And the plot is great. Sad, melancholy and outstanding.
AmbikaV.Apr 17, 2004
This movie was the best. I loved all the songs and everything about the movie was excellent.
NamitaT.Mar 14, 2004
It's a brilliant movie. karan johar has written it in a fantastic way. preity has proved herself again. all the actors have done a great job. the music is really great. this movie should score 200/100.
PanchaliH.Apr 24, 2004
This movie is sooo incredibly well written and produced. I love Shah Rukh Khan's acting!!!! He makes it sooo believable, as well as Saif Ali Khan and Preity Zinta. Omg I love Shah Rukh Khan!!!!
OmarK.Mar 12, 2004
One off the best love stories of all time.
VivM.Mar 15, 2004
I love SRK...he's the best and his best reflects in this movie... songs are great and the storyline is very interesting and touching...a must see over and over again!!!
YatinP.Mar 15, 2004
Awesome movie, loved it.
NadiaK.Mar 14, 2004
'Nuff said.
arbazcppFeb 23, 2014
Let me just say the critics who gave this movie mixed reviews are untrustworthy. I say so because one of them claims that the leads have 'good singing voices'. That person obviously doesn't watch any bollywood movies, otherwise they wouldLet me just say the critics who gave this movie mixed reviews are untrustworthy. I say so because one of them claims that the leads have 'good singing voices'. That person obviously doesn't watch any bollywood movies, otherwise they would know that they are simply lip syncing rather than singing.

(NO spoilers)
Kal Ho Naa Ho has an admittedly slow start, and the only thing that seems to keep it going for the first 15 to 20 minutes is Shahrukh Khan's character, Aman, and his shenanigans, but the movie quickly picks up pace as the viewer begins to realize Aman is hiding something, and leads to a startling realization. This is where SRK shines: this movie beautifully showcases his ability to both wrench your heart and entertain you, and not once does he slip up. Preity Zinta and Saif Ali Khan also do amazingly well at both acting and leaving a good impression on the audience, and it gives the viewer empathy towards the characters, which is what ultimately makes the ending of this movie so strong.

While most people simply try to get through the songs in a bollywood movie, I found myself thoroughly enjoying the dance numbers and mini-plots in this movie's songs, and the voices of the singers are absolutely amazing as well. Watch for a special appearance by Rani Mukherjee and Kajol.

The thing that really brings this movie home is it's amazing script, and how well the actors and actresses are able to portray their characters without going over the top, which is difficult to do with character as these. Overall, it is a must-watch and deserves every high rating it gets.