5.3

1. BenF.
    Jun 5, 2006
    Appalling. Heeb magazine ran a profile of this film a few months ago and we presume it would have the same edgey humor of "Jesus is Magic" or "The Hebrew Hammer." Wrong! Smarmy family fare, no edge whatsoever; even the old couples in the audience could barely muster a chucle. We walked out, and couldn't even get a refund.
  2. JeremyP.
    Jun 5, 2006
    I finally have revealed how unfunny I am by acting in this film. You might have been deluded by my comic potential in "Old School," but at last I show my true colors. Whether or not you like this film has nothing to do with whether or not you are Jewish
  3. KenG.
    Jun 21, 2006
    This can occasionally get patronizing with "life lessons" on what's really important, but fortunately it doesn't do this too often, and otherwise there is a good bit of warmth, charm, and (mostly) well written and well-played characters here. I was suprised, based on the reviews I read, I wasn't expecting much.
  4. MarcK.
    May 22, 2006
    I am Jewish, and the friend I saw it with was Non-Jewish, and we both thought it was pretty bad. It wasn't offensive...it just wasn't funny. Garry Marshall must have called in a lot of favors to get actors like Jeremy Piven, Jami Gertz, Daryl Hannah and Richard Benjamin to appear in this movie for his son. And judging by the strong critical acclaim (which is one of the reasons I am Jewish, and the friend I saw it with was Non-Jewish, and we both thought it was pretty bad. It wasn't offensive...it just wasn't funny. Garry Marshall must have called in a lot of favors to get actors like Jeremy Piven, Jami Gertz, Daryl Hannah and Richard Benjamin to appear in this movie for his son. And judging by the strong critical acclaim (which is one of the reasons why I went to see this movie in the first place), he obviously must have called in a few favors on the film critics he knows. Expand
  5. Mase
    May 20, 2006
    Light hearted and treats it's family and characters with care. I nice glimpse into the white collar jewish brentwood lifestyle if anything. This is a obvious love letter to director Scott Marshall's father Gary Marshall who gets the bulk of the scenes. If you like Gary this will go down very easy if not you might want to look for another flick.
  6. IraA.
    May 30, 2006
    Nice to have a warm family comedy. The plot is thin but the individual performances by Gary Marshall, Daryl Hannah, Larry Miller, Doris Roberts and Jeremy Piven alone make it worth seeing. It's almost satire, almost sitcom and pretty much fun.
  7. NancyS.
    Jul 3, 2006
    I think my opinion runs to the first review listed here from "The Onion". It does lose its way from a satire to a family story but, since I really didn't have any expectations, I was okay with that. A satire about people who lack any sense of self-awareness in their amoral race to be on top? Watch "Thank You for Smoking" (which was well done but somewhat unsettling for me). The loss I think my opinion runs to the first review listed here from "The Onion". It does lose its way from a satire to a family story but, since I really didn't have any expectations, I was okay with that. A satire about people who lack any sense of self-awareness in their amoral race to be on top? Watch "Thank You for Smoking" (which was well done but somewhat unsettling for me). The loss of direction here left Piven (and I am a fan of his intensity) with not a lot to work with but, overall, the actors were enjoyable to watch and the life lessons just this side of Hallmark Heartwarming. I think if they had stuck to the vision from the satiric first part of the film all the way through. it would have been more of what the viewers posting here would have enjoyed. On the other hand, if they had taken the time to develop some of the themes and issues that were brought up in the family story, they could have had something quite thoughtful and satisfying. The truncated scenes and TV-wrap-up did not provide any real depth. But, this is still something you could watch with your kids and talk about later... Expand
  8. AmyR.
    May 31, 2006
    I was Jewish before I saw this movie, but now I am reconsidering everything. I wasn't offended as a Jew, I was offended as someone who likes to not be subjected to awful writing for what felt like hours and hours. Thanks for nothing.
  9. PeterH.
    Jun 16, 2006
    Having seen the trailer several times, I thought I had this movie figured out. I was wrong. But not disappointed. It was funny and fun.
  10. Oct 13, 2014
    Being Jewish, I have a bias towards liking a film like this. The usage of Yiddish, along with the many exaggerations of the Jewish family are something most people won't understand, unless they grew up around it. Parts of this film I found to be hysterical, while my non-Jewish friend, sitting next to me, didn't get it at all. As for the film, it's a lie before the credits even stopBeing Jewish, I have a bias towards liking a film like this. The usage of Yiddish, along with the many exaggerations of the Jewish family are something most people won't understand, unless they grew up around it. Parts of this film I found to be hysterical, while my non-Jewish friend, sitting next to me, didn't get it at all. As for the film, it's a lie before the credits even stop rolling. Keeping Up With The Steins, really has very little to due with the Stein family, as they are part of the background story at best. The film is actually about a broken family, forced together on the eve of a child's Bar Mitzvah. Benjamin Fiedler (Daryl Sabara) is turning 13, which in the Jewish religion means that he is about to become a man. His parents are well off and are making huge plans for the event, but Ben wants no part of it. In an attempt to take the attention off himself, he sends an invitation to his estranged Grandfather that he's never met, a Grandfather, who shows up to the families wealthy neighborhood in an old RV, with a woman half his age. This is where the heart of the story comes from, as father and son are forced together after fifteen years. Jeremy Piven stars as the son and believe it or not he's a big time Hollywood agent, living in a life of luxury. This toned down version of Ari is forced to see his father, played by the legendary Garry Marshall. For the past 15 years, he's been living as a hippie, teaching on an Indian reservation. As soon as they see each other the two are at odds and it really is very funny. The star of the film is Spy Kids, Daryl Sabara, who I have never liked. He's just always so shy and painfully awkward, I really just don't understand his appeal. While he is a major part of the story, the parts of the film that feature him without Marshall or Piven are just painful. Keeping Up With The Steins isn't raunchy and much of the humor is intertwined in the Jewish religion. If you're not Jewish, you'll probably have the same reaction my friend did. Personally I loved it, but I can understand how this film won't appeal to everybody. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ronnie Scheib
    A sure-fire audience-pleaser, Scott (son of Garry) Marshall's winning comedy bow could have been titled "My Big Fat Jewish Bar Mitzvah."
    What begins as a scathing but loving satire of materialism loses its way once it turns into a warmhearted after-school special about a nice young Jewish boy discovering the true meaning of the bar mitzvah.
  3. Garry Marshall takes over the movie (no mystery: his son, Scott, directed it), and Keeping Up With the Steins turns into a recipe to forget: chopped liver with ''heart.''