Kill Bill: Vol. 1

8.0

1. Jun 25, 2016
    One of Tarantino’s finest. It’s one heck of a clever and ambitiously constructed film. The simple focus on basic film-and storytelling is humongous -- it’s so stylish! We follow this, from what it looks like in the beginning; an unknown character -- and it takes time to fully understand her. And that specific wait for understanding is rewarded the longer you wait. It’s a pure revenge storyOne of Tarantino’s finest. It’s one heck of a clever and ambitiously constructed film. The simple focus on basic film-and storytelling is humongous -- it’s so stylish! We follow this, from what it looks like in the beginning; an unknown character -- and it takes time to fully understand her. And that specific wait for understanding is rewarded the longer you wait. It’s a pure revenge story that’s full of twists, blood, action & originality in many different forms – all in a stylish and ambitious way. The film got a very great inside to the antagonist, & just the fact that the film is aware of the sometimes very forced moments – well that’s just hilarious! Sure it might not be a very dialog-driven film, and it does lack character depth & development. But ‘Kill Bill’ is still one of Tarantino’s finest.

Personal rating: 85/100
    Critical rating: 80/100
  2. May 31, 2016
    I don't take this film seriously most of the time, which I think was Tarantino's purpose. Nevertheless, the allusions to this film are well done; western and martial arts can be a great combination, and Tarantino executes with a unique, Tarantino-esque style. The over-the-top aspect that covers the entire film is what makes it so fun to watch. It's Tarantino at his most fun.
  3. May 29, 2016
    Kill Bill: Vol 1 is a lot of fun. It threw me the first time I watched it, because it was so different from Tarantino's previous films. But once I understood the tone and ideas it was going for, Kill Bill became a lot of fun. Good, stupid fun guaranteed!
  4. Apr 25, 2016
    Bastante decepcionado, la película no tiene una trama clara y hay partes en la que se hace muuuuuy densa casi que te dormís y las partes de "acción" parece que tarantino pidió 10 litros de sangre falsa y le trajeron 10.000, todo muy exagerado, Tarantino es un gran director, pero esta peli no, antes ver Reservoir Dogs o Bastardos Sin Gloria
  5. Apr 18, 2016
    Kill Bill: Volume 1 keeps a moment to make us all think what to do next. We.... you know it.... kill Bill. (I mean the character in the movie). With the power of kung fu, no one can stop Kill Bill from being a dull movie.
  6. Apr 17, 2016
    Kill Bill is a film where director and writer Quentin Tarantino tries out various techniques, not to see if they work, but simply for his own enjoyment and to boast of his talent for detail, especially when so many of these techniques are used simultaneously, which has created an unforgettable opening of a two part tale.
    Uma Thurman stars as a bruised and beaten woman known simply as ‘The
    Uma Thurman stars as a bruised and beaten woman known simply as ‘The Bride’, who is betrayed on her wedding day by her colleagues, a group of dangerous individuals known as the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad, led by Bill (David Carradine).
    When they underestimate The Brides will to live, she eventually awakens from a coma and seeks revenge on those who wronged her, and as the opening quote on the screen suggests, “Revenge is a dish best served cold”, and this woman has nothing but cold and calculated on her mind.
    Tarantino has told the story in a non-linear fashion, using chapters to split up the story, and incorporating various flashbacks of how exactly the wedding scenario played out. But in regards to the bride, she sets off by making a list of those who portrayed her, and its clear from the beginning that this film was always going to be building to something bigger, does it take anything away from the film? Perhaps a little, it certainly stands on its own two feet, but the fact remains that we are introduced to these various characters but only get a handful of them. Saying that, however, the scenes with these particular members of the Deadly Viper group are fantastically gory, anime and exaggerated tone that only Tarantino is capable of pulling off with such gritty means.
    Uma Thurman’s ‘Bride’ is typically cold and in a particular mindset for the film, she delivers her kills with little mercy, perfectly portrayed by Thurman herself, who shows her willingness to throw herself into any role, a junkie in Pulp Fiction and now a deadly assassin.
    The final moments of the film, and the build up are quite remarkable. Tarantino utilises his devices including typical Japanese slashers and even Spagetti Westerns to culminate in a massively colourful fight scene, but the final confrontation between the Bride and O-Ren Ishii (Lucy Liu is a beautifully crafted scene, and a true powerhouse in filmmaking.
    For what it lacks in finalising a story, Kill Bill Vol. 1 certainly makes up for in its unique ability to combine visually striking scenes of blood splattered marvel, and Tarantino is truly at his best.
  7. Feb 12, 2016
    Tarantino is known for taking an axe to linear storytelling. While it worked well in Pulp Fiction, I think Kill Bill could have been arranged differently, in an order that's a bit more satisfying. Or at least an order that would balance well with Volume 2.

Other than that, it's well choreographed, well acted, directed, beautifully shot revenge tale. Paying great tribute to many different genres and filmmakers (the homage to Brian De Palma in the hospital scene is particularly nice) the film is very entertaining, though it's unconventional presentation and over-the-top violence could turn some away.

I think things could have been done to make it better, but Tarantino's passion for film will transcend to any audience member who shares that passion.
  8. Feb 4, 2016
    A successful thriller film that includes revenge, suspense, blood, and action from start to finish! Quentin Tarantino does an amazing job with his non-linear structure making the films more entertaining and offering backstories for his characters. The art of music throughout both films is phenomenal, giving the viewers chills and thrills. I highly recommend the film to martial arts fans,A successful thriller film that includes revenge, suspense, blood, and action from start to finish! Quentin Tarantino does an amazing job with his non-linear structure making the films more entertaining and offering backstories for his characters. The art of music throughout both films is phenomenal, giving the viewers chills and thrills. I highly recommend the film to martial arts fans, western fans, action fans, and of course Quentin Tarantino fans. Expand
  9. Jan 20, 2016
    best nutcracker suite ever .. don't get the red stuff tho .........................................................................................................................................................................................................
  10. Dec 30, 2015
    I am going back and reviewing all Tarantino films i have watched in conjunction with Hateful 8 release. Sadly i don't really think this film ever clicked with me. I can see some good dialogue but i think at times the acting soundtrack and direction can at times make the film seem to comic-like and it just takes away from me. The fight sequences are pretty incredible and some shots are wellI am going back and reviewing all Tarantino films i have watched in conjunction with Hateful 8 release. Sadly i don't really think this film ever clicked with me. I can see some good dialogue but i think at times the acting soundtrack and direction can at times make the film seem to comic-like and it just takes away from me. The fight sequences are pretty incredible and some shots are well made but this film seems like a sour taste sadly in my mouth.
    5.5/10
  11. Sep 22, 2015
    This movie is dumb. Plain and simple. It's great to watch with a big group of friends, but not worth watching any other time. Direction is pretty good, though.
  12. Aug 1, 2015
    At the end with action that never quite pays off and the film moving by at a brisk pace its hard not to feel a tad ripped off at the end. The shocking reveal at the end does raise interest in the sequel but at the end the film doesn’t’ feel wholly complete or satisfying. With the lack of meat or excitement this feels more like a pilot/prologue/teaser for a far more exciting film. HopefullyAt the end with action that never quite pays off and the film moving by at a brisk pace its hard not to feel a tad ripped off at the end. The shocking reveal at the end does raise interest in the sequel but at the end the film doesn’t’ feel wholly complete or satisfying. With the lack of meat or excitement this feels more like a pilot/prologue/teaser for a far more exciting film. Hopefully the next film will pay off nicely. This film isn’t bad and is an interesting experiment for Tarintino but action isn’t his strength. A for effort but C+ for end product. Good idea but not great execution. Let’s see if he improves the second time. Expand
  13. Jul 21, 2015
    No tengo palabras para expresar lo que siento cada vez que veo esta obra maestra, Kill Bill Vol 1 es una joya, completamente divertida, brutal y única. Las secuencias de acción son un bello homenaje a las películas de Kung-Fu antiguas, mezcladas con una historia original y con un guion que solo Quentin Tarantino lo puede hacer. Esta primera parte es magnifica.
  14. Jun 6, 2015
    Quentin Tarantino definitely tops my list of 'let's get a bucket of popcorn and a movie we are guaranteed to enjoy' movies and Kill Bill is in exception. It is well paced, beautifully filmed and packs a punch in all the right places...BUT....is all that gore absolutely necessary? I mean how many limbs can be chopped off in 30 seconds? There is blood spraying literally everywhere in thisQuentin Tarantino definitely tops my list of 'let's get a bucket of popcorn and a movie we are guaranteed to enjoy' movies and Kill Bill is in exception. It is well paced, beautifully filmed and packs a punch in all the right places...BUT....is all that gore absolutely necessary? I mean how many limbs can be chopped off in 30 seconds? There is blood spraying literally everywhere in this movie and I'm not sure of the point.
    The scenes were so well staged, however, the music so in sync and the interspersed humor so enjoyable that I cannot say the gore ruined it for me. However, I think there could have been a tad less.
  15. Apr 5, 2015
    This movie can be an accomplishment, but one that proves Tarantino's immaturity. It is by far a lot of style without substance, i really didn't like it. I am just giving a 5 because it has good aspects like the acting, script (wasn't as great as Inglorious Basterds and Pulp Fiction), and some directing. But overall it was a dull, uninspiring, immature, and dislikable movie that was abusingThis movie can be an accomplishment, but one that proves Tarantino's immaturity. It is by far a lot of style without substance, i really didn't like it. I am just giving a 5 because it has good aspects like the acting, script (wasn't as great as Inglorious Basterds and Pulp Fiction), and some directing. But overall it was a dull, uninspiring, immature, and dislikable movie that was abusing about its own premise. Expand
  16. Feb 27, 2015
    Kill Bill has a very specific audience. It's for people who like a different kind of movie, a different narrative, different storytelling. It's clearly not suited for children or people who dislike gore. Truth be told, Kill Bill is really violent. But also very cool. And quite entertaining. It's very sudden and uneven at times and ultimately suffers a closure problem most "part 1-part 2"Kill Bill has a very specific audience. It's for people who like a different kind of movie, a different narrative, different storytelling. It's clearly not suited for children or people who dislike gore. Truth be told, Kill Bill is really violent. But also very cool. And quite entertaining. It's very sudden and uneven at times and ultimately suffers a closure problem most "part 1-part 2" films have, but it's sure to be glorified by enthusiast fans like myself, kind of. Expand
  17. Dec 17, 2014
    as much as Robert Rodriguez & Tarantino have brought some crazy over ratted fun kick ass movies like
    ( Dusk Til Dawn, Pulp Fiction), Kill Bill was one of the best movies of Tarantino's career. the writer/ director ( Tarantino) has created a heroic characters in his films and Uma Thurman is clearly his best characters yet, thats what makes Kill Bill so special also his crazy work with effects also his camera shots. Grade A
  18. Nov 24, 2014
    Kill Bill Vol. 1 is AWESOME! It has Way better action than the second one. Now, I'm not saying that Kill Bill Vol. 2 is a bad movie believe me it is awesome and I gave that a 10 also but this introduces the characters and explains why she wants to kill the people on her death list and of course, Bill. I truly love this movie and it deserves a 10 undoubtedly.
  19. Sep 3, 2014
    This is by far my favorite film. It's bloody, highly entertaining, and it is just a fun revenge flick to watch. It is very over-the-top, like most grindhouse films were, which makes it all the more entertaining. I highly recommend this.
  20. Aug 27, 2014
    Certainly no shortage of flair and panache, Volume 1 is a super-violent tale of betrayal and revenge. By no means Tarantino's finest work, but you'll be entertained.
  21. chw
    Aug 16, 2014
    Kill Bill Volume 1 is very good, but it's the most bizarre Quentin Tarantino movie because of the stylized Japanese samurai moves, but besides that it's a very good film, way better than the second volume.
  22. Aug 15, 2014
    The overdone gore surprisingly worked out well with Quentin Tarantino at is best yet again and delivers a vengeful roller coaster right up till the end.
  23. Aug 4, 2014
    I personally liked it, but it didn't need all that cheesy violence, but Quentin Tarrintino is still awesome. This movie had some cheesy action scenes but is carried by fine acting and nice character development.
  24. Jul 16, 2014
    Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is not complicated. It's about a woman going on a revenge driven rampage. Honestly, that's all I ever needed in a movie.
    This movie is so stylish and so fun to watch that you forget its lack of depth. I can honestly say that I was never once bored the whole time watching this movie.
    Also, that ending fight scene was amazing. This is just Tarantino being Tarantino. And
    Also, that ending fight scene was amazing.
    This is just Tarantino being Tarantino. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
  25. May 30, 2014
    I enjoyed the second one better than this one but still an awesome movie. Easily the most gory movie I have ever seen, the scene where she fights all of the assassins is great. With a pretty good ending to lead into the next one made me enjoy it a lot also.
  26. May 2, 2014
    Nobody does stylish violence like Quentin Tarantino. Yes, the blood is very much over-the-top, but my God it is just so beautiful filmed I cannot even be bothered by it. Plus, it is absolutely hilarious the way in which some people die in this film. In addition, the battle sequences are 100% gorgeous. The choreography is amazing and thought out. In the lead role, Uma Thurman is perfectlyNobody does stylish violence like Quentin Tarantino. Yes, the blood is very much over-the-top, but my God it is just so beautiful filmed I cannot even be bothered by it. Plus, it is absolutely hilarious the way in which some people die in this film. In addition, the battle sequences are 100% gorgeous. The choreography is amazing and thought out. In the lead role, Uma Thurman is perfectly cast and absolutely kills (heh) her role. On the negative side of things, the dialogue can become a tad cheesy at times and make you roll your eyes that they decided to go with that line. On top of that, the violence, while stylish, can be numbing and the death scenes repeat themselves (i.e. many characters die in the same exact way and you see a similar shot of their death). Finally, the weird anime sequence as we got a character's back story was a turn off for me. It just made the film feel disjointed and felt like a very weird turn that was not really necessary.

Overall, Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is a pretty good film. However, as it is simply half of the final product, it does feel unfinished, so you have to take the fact that it is intended to be the first half of the film into account, which is why I do like this one as much as I do. As a lead-in to the second film, it is very successful as I was left with a burning desire to watch part two almost immediately after finishing this one.
  27. Apr 6, 2014
    I was in the middle with this movie. But why a "7" you ask? Because when It comes to Quentin Tarantino you expect more (Something like Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction) in it than others. Kill Bill was good. Fast paced and well acted gives it a thumbs up. Just not two, not even a half.
  28. Jan 6, 2014
    Magnificamente montado e surpreendentemente maravilhoso. Kill Bill tem ação, histórias e ótimas doses exageradas de sangue.Magnificamente montado e surpreendentemente maravilhoso. Kill Bill tem ação, histórias e ótimas doses exageradas de sangue. Expand
  29. AGK
    Jan 1, 2014
    awesome movie with.... drum roll please! (drum roll) no love story! isn't it wonderful? and the action was probably the best that I've seen out of any movie. I want more of this stuff!
  30. Dec 14, 2013
    A wonderful film, by most metrics. Tarantino is an incredible filmmaker, but his prestige advanced beyond great screenwriting into great direction for this film. A stylized revenge flick is what it is, so to take it as more than that is ludicrous, and for what it is it is nearly perfect. I do not believe Tarantino intended to create the greatest film of all time, I believe that he intendedA wonderful film, by most metrics. Tarantino is an incredible filmmaker, but his prestige advanced beyond great screenwriting into great direction for this film. A stylized revenge flick is what it is, so to take it as more than that is ludicrous, and for what it is it is nearly perfect. I do not believe Tarantino intended to create the greatest film of all time, I believe that he intended to create an entertaining movie that combines his favorite genres, and it works. The acting, the screenplay, the direction, and the countless homages to kung fu, spaghetti western, and exploitation movies make it a massively entertaining watch. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Jim Agnew
    A hyper-violent, hyper-gory, kung-fu grindhouse flick. And there’s nothing at all wrong with that.
  2. Is Kill Bill a homage to great Asian action movies? Yes. Is Tarantino trying to outdo his cherished masters (on a budget that dwarfs their films)? Of course. Is there any other point of any of this? Let's see "Vol. 2."
    An incomplete movie, artlessly cleft in the middle. Cinema interruptus.