7.0

1. Jan 6, 2014
    Magnificamente montado e surpreendentemente maravilhoso. Kill Bill tem ação, histórias e ótimas doses exageradas de sangue. Expand
  2. Dec 14, 2013
    A wonderful film, by most metrics. Tarantino is an incredible filmmaker, but his prestige advanced beyond great screenwriting into great direction for this film. A stylized revenge flick is what it is, so to take it as more than that is ludicrous, and for what it is it is nearly perfect. I do not believe Tarantino intended to create the greatest film of all time, I believe that he intended to create an entertaining movie that combines his favorite genres, and it works. The acting, the screenplay, the direction, and the countless homages to kung fu, spaghetti western, and exploitation movies make it a massively entertaining watch. Expand
  3. Jun 26, 2013
    For those unfamiliar to Tarantino's work this movie might be 'unrealistic'. Tarantino's films usually go for some kind of cartoon-ish funny-ish action style script which is nothing but the way he likes to direct. The user score and the meta-score seem way too low. Although I must say vol. 2 is much better than vol. 1. Yet again I consider Kill Bill Vol 1 and Vol 2 as one and only masterpiece.
  4. Jun 11, 2013
    when i saw this movie for first time i felt instant love. it's so strange, so crazy and well done. even when it's an action movie, it has feelings and such good actors. actually best movie ever.
  5. May 6, 2013
    Kill Bill is a film where director and writer Quentin Tarantino tries out various techniques, not to see if they work, but simply for his own enjoyment and to boast of his talent for detail, especially when so many of these techniques are used simultaneously, which has created an unforgettable opening of a two part tale.
    Uma Thurman stars as a bruised and beaten woman known simply as ‘The
    Bride’, who is betrayed on her wedding day by her colleagues, a group of dangerous individuals known as the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad, led by Bill (David Carradine).
    When they underestimate The Brides will to live, she eventually awakens from a coma and seeks revenge on those who wronged her, and as the opening quote on the screen suggests, “Revenge is a dish best served cold”, and this woman has nothing but cold and calculated on her mind.
    Tarantino has told the story in a non-linear fashion, using chapters to split up the story, and incorporating various flashbacks of how exactly the wedding scenario played out. But in regards to the bride, she sets off by making a list of those who portrayed her, and its clear from the beginning that this film was always going to be building to something bigger, does it take anything away from the film? Perhaps a little, it certainly stands on its own two feet, but the fact remains that we are introduced to these various characters but only get a handful of them. Saying that, however, the scenes with these particular members of the Deadly Viper group are fantastically gory, anime and exaggerated tone that only Tarantino is capable of pulling off with such gritty means.
    Uma Thurman’s ‘Bride’ is typically cold and in a particular mindset for the film, she delivers her kills with little mercy, perfectly portrayed by Thurman herself, who shows her willingness to throw herself into any role, a junkie in Pulp Fiction and now a deadly assassin.
    The final moments of the film, and the build up are quite remarkable. Tarantino utilises his devices including typical Japanese slashers and even Spagetti Westerns to culminate in a massively colourful fight scene, but the final confrontation between the Bride and O-Ren Ishii (Lucy Liu is a beautifully crafted scene, and a true powerhouse in filmmaking.
    For what it lacks in finalising a story, Kill Bill Vol. 1 certainly makes up for in its unique ability to combine visually striking scenes of blood splattered marvel, and Tarantino is truly at his best.
  6. Apr 8, 2013
    Quentin Tarantino, a formidable filmmaker in Hollywood, who has masterminded great pictures like RESERVOIR DOGS and PULP FICTION, is also hugely responsible for the greatness behind KILL BILL: VOLUME 1 (KB1). KILL BILL was at first being scheduled for a single movie, but that single movie exceeds a running time of over four hours. The decision to separate the source into two parts was favourable KB1 was released in late 2003 while its sequel, KB2, was released in early 2004.

To me, KB1 is a cinematic masterpiece. Everything in the movie was being meticulously orchestrated, right from the start of the movie to the end of it. I would say the movie is just tight. You would wish to imagine a tight, ripped body of a person, that's KB1. Editing of this movie is just sharp and great writing too. An element which caught my attention is the camera work itself I would say they are highly artistic and imaginative. In one particular scene, Tarantino exploited a long impeccable tracking shot with no cuts, and it is brilliant.

Beyond the near-perfect cinematic experience which Tarantino has given us, Uma Thurman's performance deserved a praise too. She manipulated her character extremely well which I think it is being overlooked, her performance is decent. Her character in the film is boiling with sadness and anger and for example, in one scene, you could witness that pain or anger through Thurman's expression on her face that marks the work of a great actress.

As a whole, this movie is daringly beautiful. The plot is simple, but Tarantino's clever navigation for this movie is excellent. Could I say it? Kill Bill Vol 1 is bloody, darkly comical, and unforgettable.

[4.5/5]

Facebook (http://facebook.com/alex.desmall) Twitter (@Alex_DeSmall) (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/member/AlexDesmall)
  7. Apr 8, 2013
    Damn, if you where to watch vol 2 before this one (like i did) you would LOVE kill bill vol 1. I can see why people wouldn't like it, seeing how its mostly shooty shooty bangy bangy and very little plot in between (most of this plot is later found in vol 2). But hey, i love it. What can i say, it was one of the first Tarantino movies i ever watched and i love it.
  8. Apr 7, 2013
    This film is a combination of everything I love: Japanese cultural aspects, swordplay, a revenge plot, philosophy, and above all else, wit. Definitely one of the greatest films I've ever seen.
  9. Dec 26, 2012
    To the average moviegoer,"Kill Bill" comes across as a nuanced film that appears shallow litered with flamboyant violence. And yet nothing could be further from the truth. Remarkably unique blend of various genres drawing from an abundant of influences constructing something very much his own. A bride (Uma Thurman) awakes from a long coma no longer carrying the baby before hand. Only revenge motivates her now to hunt down the assassination team that betrayed her, and once a part of. Breathtaking fight scenes function the same as dance numbers would in a musical. Stunningly beautiful and completely innovative. Highly-stylized, magnificent musical score, dynamic performances all around. Expand
  10. Nov 24, 2012
    I purchased Kill Bill volumes one and two on bluray at black Friday. Today I watched the first Kill Bill and this is what I have too say. The kung fu/ action scenes were a 10 out of 10. The acting was 7 out of 10. And the directing and writing were a 9 out of 10. I enjoyed how sociopathic the movie was, and Thurmans performance. Overall I give this movie a 10 out of 10.
  11. Apr 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is a bloody good time: lots of fake blood, sword fighting and limbs being cut off. The story is threadbare, but Volume 2 gives us the full story and compliments Volume 1, making it better if you ask me. Ms Thurman's acting was admittedly a bit wooden at times, but when she's good, she's good. That scream at the start, where she wakes up in the hospital? PURE GOLD.

And the MUSIC! Twisted Nerve was... well, to put it lightly, it was irritating. The rest of the music is absolutely amazing; i've saved most of it into a playlist on Youtube. One song in particular stands out: The Lonely Shepard. It sounds like a fusion between East and West, incorporating a flute in to begin with and bringing in guitars and trumpets... It's the most triumphant song I have ever heard. Look it up, NOW.

And the CAST! Uma Thurman brought her best, finally breaking into the lead spot after her part in another Tarantino affair Pulp Fiction. DAVID **** CARRADINE plays the titular Bill. Lucy Liu, who was the hottest thing in the world after the Charlie's Angels movie skyrocketed, plays this movie's "antagonist". Sonny Chiba is by far the most charming character in this film, playing portly little Hattori Hanzo. Michael Madsen is in Vol. 2! No-one brings a cast together like Quentin Tarantino, and I don't care who you are or what you smoke, but that's a fact you can't deny.

On its own, it's a marvelous little gore flick. Watching it again after Vol. 2 brings something completely new to it. You just can't lose, unless you're a Fundy looking for a Boogeyman. Give this movie a go, and if you don't like the blood and swearing, go pick up "Ultraviolet" instead.
  12. Mar 31, 2012
    Only few would dare to make a movie as insane as this, and Tarantino made it brilliant. A gripping revenge story that doesn't hold anything back. It was all over the place in style, direction, and musically which just made it completely original. Unexpectedly very funny and epic at the same time. One of the best!
  13. Mar 16, 2012
    Kill Bill Vol. 1 is a masterpiece. Vengeance, justice and kung fu are combined to create an entertaining action film. Uma Thurman plays the main female character who slices her way through bad guys.
  14. Mar 4, 2012
    Visually stunning and magnificently gory, KIll Bill Vol. 1 is one of Tarintino's best films in my opinion. After The Bride, Uma Thurman, was betrayed by her boss, Bill, she is slapped in to a coma and left to wonder what happened to her baby. With an interesting story to complement beautiful violence, Kill Bill Vol. 1 is a true masterpiece.
  15. Feb 23, 2012
    I like volume 2 more then volume 1 but it is my favourite film!
  16. Oct 7, 2011
    Smart, funny, very well performed and directed, a reference in the non-asiatic ninja film history. Like always with Tarantino, all the characters are awesome, and you can do a spin-off with every one of them. Really.
  17. Oct 7, 2011
    Kill Bill Volume 1 is a gripping tale of betrayal and vengeance whose only real fault is that it isn't as detailed or captivating as Volume 2. Kill Bill tells the story of The Bride who was betrayed and left for dead in a church in El Paso by her once lover Bill and how when she awoke from a 4 year coma all she wanted was revenge. However that is not the only thing going for it as it is also a satire and a tribute to Kung Fu films in general. Of course Tarantino brings his own directorial flare to the film as well as his signature dialogue but the first volume plays more like a tribute than a film of its own where as the 2nd shines on its own merits and story. If anything it is the concentration on lesser characters like O-Ren Ishii that brings the film down because she is the weakest of the main group of characters (although Lucy Lui's acting is fantastic as always). This concentration seems like a mistake but in a way it does help set up the 2nd by showing how hard it was to take on only 2 of the 5 targets The Bride goes after. However the Hatori Hanzo section of the film does work especially well as it embraces Kung Fu and Samurai film conventions while also allowing for certain comedic elements and also fleshing out The Bride's excellent character before getting into the more action heavy second half of the film. Overall it is one of Tarantino's best works but is just overshadowed by Volume 2 which just does everything that Volume 1 does but does it better. Expand
  18. Aug 8, 2011
    What?? I watched the best fight scene on my whole life this morning. I couldnt stop and watched vol2 too on the same day. It was total blood bath and i loved it. It would be an insult to to give this movie anything but 10 :)
  19. Jul 22, 2011
    Kill Bill isn't supposed to be believable. Kill Bill is: gory, ridiculous, It's pure, unfiltered Tarantino. Kill Bill is: Cool. Brilliant, timeless classic, which is exactly what to expect from Quentin. Vol 1 and 2 are one of those kind of movies that I have to watch every time I see it on cable. It just never gets old.
  20. Dec 5, 2010
    My favourite movie ever. Tarantino has delivered a wonderful cult-style film with a fluent mixture of samurai and western style. The one thing I really noticed was how easily it was to sympathize with almost all of the charaters, especially The Bride and Bill
  21. Dec 4, 2010
    I think this is my favorite Tarantino film. I've seen so many review saying "it was so gory" and the "violence was cheap and fake looking." These comments always make me laugh. You don't get it. This is a homage to kung-fu flicks of the 60's and 70's; they WERE cheap and exaggerated. Most of all they were FUN! If you don't like kung-fu flicks then why on earth would you watch this movie? This is not a soul searching drama, this is KUNG-FU! Expand
  22. Nov 17, 2010
    This and the sequel to this movie are still my favorite movies of ALL TIME. Loved everything about it. yes it's rather gory, but it almost doesn't seem that gory given that's it's given in such a cartoon-ish way, which i Love. I'm utterly amazed that the critics for this movie are so low, i can't get enough of the movie. GREAT fight scenes, and i love how they add little funny tidbits throughout that story, as well as add quirky sounds throughout the movie, it really keep my attention every single time i watch it. Thumbs WAY up!!! Expand
  23. Nov 8, 2010
    This movie was great! It was funny and action packed! From a blood hungry bride to a Japanese schoolgirl who can wield a ball and chain it was a great movie. Very good storyline too I believe.
  24. Sep 10, 2010
    Two thumbs up for this movie ! Professor Tarantino is a genius ! I first noticed Tarantino's name in Nirvana's album "In Utero"..I love Kurt Cobain also...they are both awesome in art !
  25. Aug 27, 2010
    This movie rocks!! Tarantino brilliantly directs this tale of revenge, honor, blood, action, drama, and kung fu!! Its not for everyone, but I highly recommend it to fans of Tarantino and kung fu!!
  26. Aug 16, 2010
    One of those films that you either love or hate. I personally love it and all its stylistic changes, switching back and forth from a spaghetti western to a samurai revenge film in the matter of minutes. The violence is terrific and most of the time completely hilarious, and the storytelling is brilliant throughout.

1. Reviewed by: Jim Agnew
    A hyper-violent, hyper-gory, kung-fu grindhouse flick. And there’s nothing at all wrong with that.
  2. Is Kill Bill a homage to great Asian action movies? Yes. Is Tarantino trying to outdo his cherished masters (on a budget that dwarfs their films)? Of course. Is there any other point of any of this? Let's see "Vol. 2."
    An incomplete movie, artlessly cleft in the middle. Cinema interruptus.