Kill Bill: Vol. 1

8.0

1. MaxwellS.
    May 9, 2004
    Maybe I had too high of expectations, but the first half of this film let me down a bit. Still a great story with an amazing cliffhanger (although the movie should just be one long three hour experience). Not as good as the gold of Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and True Romance, but the Quentinescence is there.
  2. DamianP.
    Nov 5, 2003
    Violence doesn't bother me (thank you, Hollywood), so I'm not complaining about that. The story was run of the mill, but I'm well used to that. What was truly awful was having to sit in a cinema in Tokyo and listen to everyone laughing at the Westerners blurting out words that no one over here uses anymore, going on about their souls and the FIGHTING WITH SWORDS!!! The Violence doesn't bother me (thank you, Hollywood), so I'm not complaining about that. The story was run of the mill, but I'm well used to that. What was truly awful was having to sit in a cinema in Tokyo and listen to everyone laughing at the Westerners blurting out words that no one over here uses anymore, going on about their souls and the FIGHTING WITH SWORDS!!! The Japanese joke that it only happens in American movies, and this proves them right. And there isn't a word to describe the cringe-factor of listening to Uma mispronouncing 'Okinawa' time and time again. Expand
  3. CraigS.
    Dec 3, 2003
    Regarding KB and have to say i may never go to see another film produced in the US again in protest. In their desperation to produce serials and trilogies instead of GOOD FILMS, it seems like really-very-thin plot lines are being stretched over too much celluloid (or, if you're George Lucas, digital memory - he films all in digital, you know). Don't get me wrong, KB is Regarding KB and have to say i may never go to see another film produced in the US again in protest. In their desperation to produce serials and trilogies instead of GOOD FILMS, it seems like really-very-thin plot lines are being stretched over too much celluloid (or, if you're George Lucas, digital memory - he films all in digital, you know). Don't get me wrong, KB is entertaining stuff and well worth a look (with a great twist at the end), but Tarantitillationio seems to have replaced witty and snappy dialogue (a la Pulp Fiction, all hail to him for that) with... er... no dialogue at all. Just long silences in which people pose with a variety of weapons and give each other "meaningful" glances before exploding into ludicrous violence. No plot, because it seems we have to wait for part 2 for that, unlike the Matrix sequels where it was all plot in 2 and violence in 3. Beautifully filmed, directed and choreographed, but absolutely no substance at all, just like Matrix II and III and the League of Extraordinary Cr*p. Go and see Goodbye Lenin. At least the Germans haven't forgotten how to make a film. DISCLAIMER: The excellent Finding Nemo is of course excempt from the above vented spleen. Expand
  4. Arleen
    Jan 4, 2004
    Simply awful with too much blood and gore. People were walking out of the theater in the middle of the film. That says it all.
  5. NateB.
    Apr 10, 2004
    Wow. I mean, really wow. I was so excited to see this movie, and I have no comment for it. I'm a huge fan of pulp fiction, but this...I can't even describe how awful it is.
  6. CarlosA.
    May 24, 2004
    Pitiful. Incredible how Tarantino steals our money !!
  7. LavanyaJ
    Jun 9, 2005
    Bang bang he shot me down bang bang that awful sound the best campy movie ever! its a classic tarantino!
  8. KelvinL.
    Aug 29, 2005
    Stylish and exciting with a great soundtrack! I smell a rat, some reviews which gave this film 0 look remarkable similar! This gives me reason to suspect that they were penned from the same indivdual! For those complaining against the violence, just what were you expecting! The clue is in the title! Any film with "kill" in is not going to be Mary Poppins! As for those comments saying most Stylish and exciting with a great soundtrack! I smell a rat, some reviews which gave this film 0 look remarkable similar! This gives me reason to suspect that they were penned from the same indivdual! For those complaining against the violence, just what were you expecting! The clue is in the title! Any film with "kill" in is not going to be Mary Poppins! As for those comments saying most of the audience left halfway through the film with only 25% capacity, I guess it depends where you live, my cinema was packed to capacity and not one person left early! Expand
  9. Alcoholic
    Oct 11, 2003
    Tarantino has done it again!I didn't wait for this movie for nothing. Good mix of great dialogue, unrealism and realism. Go and see it!
  10. JonP.
    Jan 4, 2004
    I hated this movie so much... i think tarantino has been sitting around playing too much playstation and taking too much ..... I reckon everything good in the film he stole from the playstation classic Tenchu and everything bad in the film, which was te majority of it... was taken from his ass and the belief in his own hype... get it over it quinti... i know i have.
  11. AnoldR.
    Jan 6, 2004
    One hell of a movie to come back with, excellent, kept me on the edge of my seat while laughing my arse off, can't wait untill volume 2 comes out in Feb.
  12. NinaS.
    Oct 8, 2004
    I just saw this for the first time on DVD. While I appreciate the extreme stylishness of this movie (parts of it are extraordinary, both funny and startling) by the end of it I found myself simply bored by tedious dialogue, cartoonish violence and self-indulgent, padded (even swollen) scenes that should have been cut down or out. I understand that it's an homage to movies that QT I just saw this for the first time on DVD. While I appreciate the extreme stylishness of this movie (parts of it are extraordinary, both funny and startling) by the end of it I found myself simply bored by tedious dialogue, cartoonish violence and self-indulgent, padded (even swollen) scenes that should have been cut down or out. I understand that it's an homage to movies that QT loves -- that's clear. But this movie certainly didn't make me love it or them, and it left me instead with a sense of its essential emptiness. I wouldn't call it a waste of time, because even QT's failures are interesting, but it was a bit of a yawn. Ah well, to each his or her own, I suppose. Expand
  13. GalS.
    Jan 9, 2004
    i have the movie on DVD, and every time I watch it I wanna be in the movie (wtf?!)......it is good!!!!!! although this movie is very bloody its also bloody good!
  14. HenryB.
    Feb 10, 2004
    Despised it. I walked out in the middle it was that bad. Quentin stay in retirement if your heart isn't in it? It's a pity because Quentin when he is on his A game is one of the best there is. He made no effort here. Awful.
  15. HarrisonO.
    Feb 25, 2004
    Kill Bill = Needless violence without a plot. Just awful.
  16. JosefH.
    Feb 20, 2004
    Very sad bloody effort by a once very talented man in Quentin T. Got me this time but now he must prove himself before I ever go see one of his films again. I'm sure his hard core fans will be there for the continuation of the same crap in Part II but for me it is the end of the line. If I hear one more rave about savagery and a spoof, I think I will become sick. Awful.
  17. Tanya
    Feb 2, 2004
    Kyle, let's see if I have this right? A terribly violent bloody spoof of a martial arts film WITHOUT a plot and you gave it a perfect ten to match Gone With The Wind? Enough said.
  18. SidneyF.
    Absolutely dreadful.
  19. TheRoninS.
    Feb 4, 2004
    All these people whining about the violence...even squeamish critic Leonard Maltin understood it's overwhelmingly cartoonish nature.
  20. StephenO.
    Mar 3, 2004
    Violence in any form is not entertainment. Quentin seems to have lost his touch instead making a bloody mess that attacks the senses. Hard to believe that the public could buy into this crap? Hated it from the beginnng to the part where it said "to be continued..." Well, it will be without me and countless others. Only hardcore diehard QT fans can buy into crap like this.
  21. ChadH.
    May 10, 2004
    Best movie of the year for SURE! i cant wait for the second one.
  22. DillB.
    May 30, 2004
    This is one of the greatest movies of all time. Just the way that they set up the scenes and then execute all of the cool scenes. I am saying this from a director's point of view and this has to be one of the greatest movies of all time. I have already seen it about 200 times and it is still one of my favorite movies and it hasn't gotten old yet.
  23. Sean
    Jul 1, 2004
    Amazing. If you enjoy action at all, you will love this movie.
  24. GreyBeard
    Aug 1, 2004
    QT needs to decide whether he wants to be (just) an iconoclast, or a storyteller with something to say. Fight scenes are tedious (rather like the Matrix nonsense) and the story line is pretty limited, while the characters are just mannequins to be chopped up in an over-grizzily manner. It may be a masterpiece in terms of a variety of techniques and his knowledge of them, but they QT needs to decide whether he wants to be (just) an iconoclast, or a storyteller with something to say. Fight scenes are tedious (rather like the Matrix nonsense) and the story line is pretty limited, while the characters are just mannequins to be chopped up in an over-grizzily manner. It may be a masterpiece in terms of a variety of techniques and his knowledge of them, but they don't really need to be explored in the same place at the same time. I didn't pay for the film to be impressed by his knowledge, but to be entertained, amused, challenged to think, none of which apply. Back to my Pulp Fiction video... Expand
  25. IlzeS
    Jan 18, 2005
    Just awful! This movie really sucked! I don
  26. marshallm
    Oct 20, 2005
    Hands down, one of my favorites, but kill bill vol. 2 is even better! and this one is hard to top.
  27. JoeyK.
    Aug 8, 2005
    I'm not a huge enthusiast of Tarantino or this movie, but I liked it and I'm shocked it got as low as a 69. I expected high 70's at the lowest to high 80's at the best. It's a good movie, with interesting style, and plenty to keep your attention. Tarantino screws with reality, it seems, but that's what movies are for, aren't they?
  28. LucasK
    Jan 4, 2006
    Wow.... sooo gory... and the blood is super exaggerated.... although the soundtrack was good... This is way overrated.
  29. JohnE
    Oct 9, 2006
    Absolute classic revenge movie, Tarantino gives the genre the respect it reserves. This was obviously a tribute to films that have inspired him, but still had Tarantino's signature touches.
  30. BobJ.
    Mar 4, 2006
    Too unrealistic gory scenes. Like a cartoon.
  31. MichaelY.
    Apr 6, 2007
    The most exciting moviegoing experience I have ever had in the theater...I don't know whether that makes it a great movie, but it can't hurt. Tarantino pulls out all the stops, showing all of his skills, and gives the audience a helluva ride.
  32. JohnY.
    Oct 11, 2003
    Excessively violent, pointless, and boring ... we waited six years for this??
  33. EricC.
    Oct 11, 2003
    This movie is probably the closest I've seen any movie come to imitating a japanese anime. And for me, that's a very good thing. Kill Bill is just surrounded in so much style, it practically puts the film in a league of its own. The action scenes are the best I've seen since Matrix: Reloaded. This film is very bloody, but not like a Jason movie. It would be more accurate to This movie is probably the closest I've seen any movie come to imitating a japanese anime. And for me, that's a very good thing. Kill Bill is just surrounded in so much style, it practically puts the film in a league of its own. The action scenes are the best I've seen since Matrix: Reloaded. This film is very bloody, but not like a Jason movie. It would be more accurate to say the over-the-top blood content helps increase the feel of Kill Bill. The acting is top-notch, and without a doubt, Uma Thurman performs fantastically. I could've easily watched vol. 1 and 2 together for three hours straight. I never got bored of it. Expand
  34. RichardS.
    Nov 1, 2003
    Horrible violent flick about nothing. Has no redeeming values whatsoever.
  35. MikeFlex
    Oct 11, 2003
    Kill Bill may not have been the greatest movie I've ever seen, but it is, wthout a doubt, one of the coolest. For the first time, Tarantino's direction takes the lead over his script and it pays off in the best movie of his career not named Pulp Fiction. Besides, all you needs a sense of humor and a love of Sonny Chiba.
  36. PaulM.
    Oct 10, 2003
    This movie is like a cinematic roller-coaster, and you ride a roller coaster for the thrill of pounding down a track at breakneck speeds and for the spray of adrenals...in that it succeeds majestically...to require this movie to do anything else is to shortchange it...Bravo Quentin...this baby rocks at 90 miles an hour...
  37. Uter
    Nov 20, 2003
    The plot is very simple, but the style and action are superb.
  38. NoelT.
    Oct 13, 2003
    Well you have to realize that we have only seen half of the movie. Can't judge Citizen Kane, or Casablanca if you only saw half of it. God forbid they have an intermission. Imagine what Akira Kurosawa's film Seven Samuri would be like if it was released today. Would they break it into 3 sections. Seven Samuri Vol. 1, 2 and 3? Or would distributor really want people to sit though Well you have to realize that we have only seen half of the movie. Can't judge Citizen Kane, or Casablanca if you only saw half of it. God forbid they have an intermission. Imagine what Akira Kurosawa's film Seven Samuri would be like if it was released today. Would they break it into 3 sections. Seven Samuri Vol. 1, 2 and 3? Or would distributor really want people to sit though a 4.5 hour long movie with a 15 min. intermission? My only complaint is I wish they would show what "the bride" was while a-mother-to-be and a-wife-to -be. So we can great an idea of how good her life was and how bad it got so quickly. If they did this more people would be cheering for black mambo. Who knows they might have some of that in the other half. Go see it now. Expand
  39. Ishii
    Oct 13, 2003
    Yes, my last name is Ishii - same as O-ren Ishii in the film. Anyhoo, this movie kicked ass. It's all about Uma Thurman going around ruining everyone's sh.t. 100% great entertainment.
  40. BarryB.
    Nov 30, 2003
    I wish I could give it a negative ten that is how poor this flick was. QT you should retire permanently. Just awful.
  41. JoshuaW.
    Oct 14, 2003
    Forget Uma Thurman's quest for justice, Tarantino is back with his own vengeance in Kill Bill. Every year there's mabye 5-10 films that are worth while, and only about half of those are cinematic gems at that. Kill Bill is certainly one of those gems.
  42. JaredS.
    Oct 15, 2003
    Wow! This truly is a movie buffs wet dream! I wouldn't have seen this movie four times in three days if I didn't mean that, and I'm prime to see it again. Volume 2 now has a lot to live up to, but you know as well as I do, that Tarantino can pull it off. Bravo, QT! Continue your legendary career with whatever you'd like, because if this is the result, long live the king!
  43. Orpheusfix
    Oct 17, 2003
    If anything else, a celebration of pop culture. (One of the guys below gave the movie a 0 after walking out on it 30 minutes into the movie. That's kind of stupid ain't it? Why not see the entire movie and then rate it for what one thought it should deserve.)
  44. IntroducingTheHardlineAccordingToGilbertMulroneyca
    Oct 17, 2003
    Pure. There's a one word review for you: pure. Not morally pure, or spiritually pure, cinematically pure. Like 2001: A Space Oddysey, Kill Bill is not about things, it is things. At first glance, it's a little style-over-substanceish, but delve deeper and it's clear that it's ALL style, to the extent that the style IS the substance. It must be said, though, that this Pure. There's a one word review for you: pure. Not morally pure, or spiritually pure, cinematically pure. Like 2001: A Space Oddysey, Kill Bill is not about things, it is things. At first glance, it's a little style-over-substanceish, but delve deeper and it's clear that it's ALL style, to the extent that the style IS the substance. It must be said, though, that this makes for something of a cocktail in too small a glass, with so many tricks and stylistic doodahs going off at the same time. QT is palpably drunk on filmmaking - but it still works. Think of it as his 1941, only better. Besides, the director of 1941's gone on to do alright for himself. It's really difficult to recommend Kill Bill - critics in this country have savaged it, partly because they miss the point, but also because it's a very Marmite sort of film - so the best I can say is, if you like this sort of thing, this sort of thing you like. And even if you don't, it's brilliant, in its own slightly psychotic way. Expand
  45. Valk.
    Dec 2, 2003
    Blood, killing and violence do not make a good movie. This was terrible. I can't believe that people will pay to see the completion of this sh.t. Avoid at all costs. Tarentino should retire permanently if this is the best he has to offer.
  46. DavidS.
    Dec 2, 2003
    Hated all thirty minutes of it before I had enough. Tarentino needs about sixty years before he makes another film. One of the most violent movies I have ever seen. Awful.
  47. John
    Oct 24, 2003
    Kill Bill is absolutely one of the best, if not the best movie out so far this year. The people giving it 0's obviously can't get over the violence factor to appreciate its unique style and all the great detail brought in from the movie genres that this movie is based on. Although gory, it's the kind of over-the-top gore and violence that begins to become desensitizing on Kill Bill is absolutely one of the best, if not the best movie out so far this year. The people giving it 0's obviously can't get over the violence factor to appreciate its unique style and all the great detail brought in from the movie genres that this movie is based on. Although gory, it's the kind of over-the-top gore and violence that begins to become desensitizing on purpose. If Tarantino had wanted, he could have made the gore 100 times more realistic. Instead he is poking fun and paying homage to those kung fu movies, and revenge flicks where all these elements (simple plot, fake gore, no character development) are done just by accident as a result of bad filmmaking. Here it is all done on purpose...some people understand that and can smile, and some people can't. On another note, I really appreciated Uma's performance in this, being someone who has never thought she was that pretty nor talented, but she really shines in this movie. Expand
  48. ThomasS.
    Oct 25, 2003
    I hated this violent movie. Tarantino is way overrated. Is this the best he could come up with? Just awful. Don't understand these rave reviews.
  49. LuisC.
    Oct 28, 2003
    This and Lost in Translation are thest films of the year so far. Bring on ROTK!
  50. BethC.
    Oct 31, 2003
    Starts out clever but winds up being freakin' stupid.
  51. SeanC.
    Oct 9, 2003
    A really awesome, unbalanced, bloody, mean, funny, twisted, cliched, sexy, awkward, ice cold, boundary-pushing, ass-kicking action flick. Expect Jackie Brown and prepare for disappoinment. Expect kung fu and get your socks rocked off.
  52. ArtherS.
    Oct 9, 2003
    This movie is awesome. And I shoud know, cuz I'm really smart at judging these kind of things! It is awesome. What can I say!
  53. JerryT.
    Oct 9, 2003
    A little too gory for me but a pretty cool movie.
  54. Radical
    Jan 16, 2004
    Its worth noting how strong people's reactions are to this film. One one hand, critics say they left feeling nothing and claim the film succeeds in being powerfully emotive; however, they are quick to exhibit extremely harsh reactions to the film. While the film celebrates violence on screen, it appears to be no greater than the violence of the critic's tongue. With that being Its worth noting how strong people's reactions are to this film. One one hand, critics say they left feeling nothing and claim the film succeeds in being powerfully emotive; however, they are quick to exhibit extremely harsh reactions to the film. While the film celebrates violence on screen, it appears to be no greater than the violence of the critic's tongue. With that being said, I feel that there is a trend of expectations developing in our critical eye that is damaging to what film represents: film does not need a social agenda -- by requiring it to satisfy your own personal belief systems, you are sacrificing your ability to objectively analyze and study the art. This is clearly a powerful film, with gorgeous imagery, fantastic pacing and tone, and possesses sufficient depth for contemplative and satisfying analysis. Tarentino is a powerful visionary, director auture of our day, and his work should be studied within his own context, not yours. Expand
  55. JonP.
  56. DavidR.
    Jan 5, 2004
    I would like to kill the idiot who recommended I see this disaster. It was terrible and a waste of time. I walked out half way through.
  57. JosephM.
    Jan 8, 2004
    Don't take this movie too seriously and it is a pretty good time. I don't remember ever seeing this much blood in a movie since Charlton Heston turned the waters to blook in The Ten Commandments... This movie is an instant classic in the martial arts genre and I look forward to volume 2!
  58. FreidaL.
    Jan 8, 2004
    This movie lacked soul. It was just terrible. I walked out half way through as did most of the sparse audience I saw this with. Quentin retire permanently if this is your best effort.
  59. JohnC.
    Feb 10, 2004
    This movie splits people up. Either you "Get it" or you dont. If you don't, then I feel sorry for you. But if you do, "get it", then this movie will go down as one of the most entertaining, laughable, over the top, crazy movie you will ever see. Its a conundrum of sorts. Its slow, and fast. Its serious and silly. Its shocking and hilarious. What Kill Bill really is... Its art. Its This movie splits people up. Either you "Get it" or you dont. If you don't, then I feel sorry for you. But if you do, "get it", then this movie will go down as one of the most entertaining, laughable, over the top, crazy movie you will ever see. Its a conundrum of sorts. Its slow, and fast. Its serious and silly. Its shocking and hilarious. What Kill Bill really is... Its art. Its visionary. Its a dream brought to life. Its simple yet intriguing. Its mind-bendingly brutal, but its all taken in jest. I have never laughed so much at such over the top silliness, but it held together without losing one ounce of magnetism for the intrigued watcher. Its like nothing you ever seen before, but at the same time, you have probably seen everything within it before. Its a conundrum. And Quentin Tarantino brings together the whole parody of B-movies to a different level. Its a work of sheer brilliance, and it will go down as being one of the greatest cult films ever made. Absolutely brilliant. I just feel sorry for those who don't "Get it"... But then again, who cares about them anyways? Kill Bill is an amazing film, and one that is unique. Expand
  60. WinstonF.
    Feb 1, 2004
    Kenshin perhaps you had a lobotomy to go along with your gelding. Bill was a vile disgusting disgrace of a movie that was only made for morons who worship at the feet of the retired QT. Get a life while you're waiting in line for Volumes II, III, IV & V. Better yet sign over your check book to QT.
  61. RenanB.
    Feb 21, 2004
    As Ebert said in his review, there is not a real story here, but there is storytelling. It's not so deep or intelligent. IT'S PURE FUN. IT'S ABOUT HAVING FUN. If you don't get this, too bad.
  62. KatherineJ.
    Feb 21, 2004
    Totally inept and sadistic in its presentation. Done for one purpose and that is to refuel QT's bank account. He should stay retired.
  63. S.
    Feb 25, 2004
    I agree with John C on this one... I got it.
  64. JohnR.
    Feb 26, 2004
    S. whatever you caught from John C. perhaps you should take something for it? There are no redeeming values at all in this blood and gore despicable excuse for a movie. S I hope that you can stop scratching.
  65. DavidG.
    Feb 3, 2004
    I won't give this movie the dignity of feeling strongly about it one way or the other, but suffice to say: you see one 6'5" blonde nurse assassin with a red cross on her white eye patch, you've seen them all. This flaccid, unimaginative, yawnfest is an attempt to pay homage to real action movies. Why it is flooded with pointless and incessant amputations is anyone's I won't give this movie the dignity of feeling strongly about it one way or the other, but suffice to say: you see one 6'5" blonde nurse assassin with a red cross on her white eye patch, you've seen them all. This flaccid, unimaginative, yawnfest is an attempt to pay homage to real action movies. Why it is flooded with pointless and incessant amputations is anyone's guess. I loved Kung Fu Sundays and I don't recall ever feeling so bored. I give it a 1 only because of Lucy Liu's close ups. Rowr. But even she, with all the beauty she has, could not make Kill Bill interesting. Bill should Kill himself. Expand
  66. TelyS
    Feb 3, 2004
    Tarantino contiues his exploration into the arts of plagerism with his latest. While I'll take any old school Japanese/Hong Kong action film over Kill Bill, Bill is fun in a way that only Q.T. can make it. Ironicly, the best, most original sequence in the film is also the least nessesary, the anime backstory of O-Ren.
  67. SharonW.
    Feb 3, 2004
    Vile and disgusting without any redeeming qualities. Repulsive.
  68. MikeN.
    Feb 9, 2004
    Okay, I like great fight scenes as much as most people. Even more than most people, apparently. But enough is enough. After 90 minutes or so, even non-stop action is no longer exciting.
  69. Uter
    Mar 1, 2004
    It's well done, but the plot is ultra simple. I like the style though.
  70. TheresaL.
    Mar 2, 2004
    Hey Cameron take a deep breath and come up for air will you? Kill Bill is a horrible excuse for film making. I'm glad that you liked it but many of us hated it. Sorry, but I found nothing to like about this sorry ass film.
  71. Roman
    Mar 3, 2004
    To make a movie that does not have any type of plot and still succeeds the way this does shows that QT knows how to tell a story. Of course this movie is violent and if that is the only reason people dont like it, then they are too dumb for this anyways. This is QT's way of showing us the styles of movies that influenced him and most americans dont "get it". This movie is pure fun To make a movie that does not have any type of plot and still succeeds the way this does shows that QT knows how to tell a story. Of course this movie is violent and if that is the only reason people dont like it, then they are too dumb for this anyways. This is QT's way of showing us the styles of movies that influenced him and most americans dont "get it". This movie is pure fun and the young japanese girl steals every scene she is in. This movie is full of violence from beginning to end but it tells it in a way that is articulate and inventive. None of this just shoot the other guys like bad boys or some stupid crap like that. This is storytelling at its best and the anime in the middle proves that most people look at movies and most other things i might add with a narrow point of view and cannot expand their mindset. This was brought to you by a liberal college student with a 3.8 gpa. For the dumbasses who "dont get" this movie, ill take my groceries in plastic please. Expand
  72. DavidP.
    Mar 4, 2004
    "To make a movie that does not have a plot..." That says it all and you rated it a perfect ten? This movie is absolutely horrible with an over the top view on blood and gore. Just terrible.
  73. JonathanS.
    Apr 13, 2004
    It seems that most of the people who give this film a 10 are under the impression that those who did not like it failed to "get it." Wrong. I do get it - it is a postmodern pastiche of all the B action movies that QT loves so much, but with loads of extra blood and deliberately obvious self-importance. Unfortunately, while the fact that his favorite films are idiotic may be what amuses It seems that most of the people who give this film a 10 are under the impression that those who did not like it failed to "get it." Wrong. I do get it - it is a postmodern pastiche of all the B action movies that QT loves so much, but with loads of extra blood and deliberately obvious self-importance. Unfortunately, while the fact that his favorite films are idiotic may be what amuses him about them so, it is also that fact that makes a homage to them doubly idiotic. Assembling a list of your favorite film moments is not great filmmaking; it is simply listmaking. And lists are not stories. They do not make us feel. They do not teach us anything we do not already know (or at least that I have already seen many, many times before, done so much better (maybe I know this because I have a BA and a Masters in film, but I suspect not)). And so, in the end, I was not offended by this film, or grossed out, or angered, I was just bored. Come on, QT - you have so many loyal fans... Why not make some effort at making something interesting and new rather than insulting their intelligence with a thing like this? I give it a 3 only to honor the cinematographer and stunt coordinator. Expand
  74. MichaelC.
    Apr 14, 2004
    Wow! I haven't been this excited about an action movie in a long time. Kill Bill is an extraordinary take on the martial arts action style. It does what last year's Matrix films attempt to do for fight scenes. The scenes are choreographed brilliantly, and the use of cinematography is exceptional. However, as no movie is perfect, it would be unfair to all the movies I bash to not Wow! I haven't been this excited about an action movie in a long time. Kill Bill is an extraordinary take on the martial arts action style. It does what last year's Matrix films attempt to do for fight scenes. The scenes are choreographed brilliantly, and the use of cinematography is exceptional. However, as no movie is perfect, it would be unfair to all the movies I bash to not point out Kill Bill's faults. Dialog in parts of the movie is severely lacking (especially for Tarantino), and the concept of the movie itself (a tale of revenge) is painfully linear. The movie seems to move along as expected with no real twists, even though there are plenty of shocking parts. Overall, I think Vol. 1 did a great job setting up this story. Tarantino has said that we "really haven't seen anything, yet," so I'm incredibly anxious to see where Vol. 2 takes us. I recommend this film for anyone who was a fan of Tarantino's previous work, along with anyone longing for a film to return substance to the action genre after last year's crapfest. Expand
  75. KevinU.
    Apr 21, 2004
    This movie was outstanding, the connection Vol. 1 makes with Vol. 2 makes the two movies perfectly come together, as a martial artist myself I do work with the Katana and it was put to good use in this fantastic movie. The blood spray is just QT's way of showing his famous dark comedy and some people don't understand that. It's supposed to be over done.
  76. DerekM.
    Apr 8, 2004
    The movie rides on pure cinematic flare. It's as if Tarantino is trying to prove that he can make a good movie out of a terrible script. Although I have to be honest. I had a lot of fun watching this film. Most action movies bore me to no end, but not Kill Bill. I sat mesmerized throughout. Overall this movie is just a mindless good time, that you don't have to be mindless to enjoy.
  77. Rus-T
    May 1, 2004
    I love reading the comments from those who don't get Tarantino...giggle!
  78. JeffF.
    May 5, 2004
    Vile bloody garbage.
  79. PatC.
    Jun 1, 2004
    Does not have the comprehensive outlook of Pulp Fiction, but the victims are more plentiful and bleed much more profusely. Tarantino fans will quickly realize that he continues to be lucky to have Uma Thurman facilitating his quirky intensity. The plot is basically Thurman's character out to slay five selected persons who wronged her, but she is perfectly willing to dispatch a few Does not have the comprehensive outlook of Pulp Fiction, but the victims are more plentiful and bleed much more profusely. Tarantino fans will quickly realize that he continues to be lucky to have Uma Thurman facilitating his quirky intensity. The plot is basically Thurman's character out to slay five selected persons who wronged her, but she is perfectly willing to dispatch a few hundred of their associates on the fly. As such she does not lend herself well to complex character exposition. But if you buy into the state of affairs inferred upon comatose hospital patients in Texas, you don't care. It's a pathetic story riding a riveting presentation, and as a bonus it solves the age old dilemma of how your average American housewife should break off a knife fight when her daughter comes home from school. Bring on Part II. Expand
  80. TylerC.
    Jun 26, 2004
    This is a test as to how good a movie is. I knew that there is a sequel out there and there might be a third movie released too. If this movie were good than I would look forward to seeing the sequel. As it is, I have no interest in seeing the second movie or seeing the third. This is the worst Tarantino movie ever!! The animation part was completely boring and he rest of it was just This is a test as to how good a movie is. I knew that there is a sequel out there and there might be a third movie released too. If this movie were good than I would look forward to seeing the sequel. As it is, I have no interest in seeing the second movie or seeing the third. This is the worst Tarantino movie ever!! The animation part was completely boring and he rest of it was just sword swinging for an hour. Why did he make two sequels? Expand
  81. StanJ.
    Aug 7, 2004
    There is no plot. Here is the plot - Uma wants revenge, and she is involved in 4 fights. There is also a scene where she talks to a Chinese guy and he gives her a sword - that's the movie. The fights are boring - it is like looking out your window and watching kids play cops and robbers with tree branches [in the "movie" they use dummy swords]. It is predictable and formulaic. After There is no plot. Here is the plot - Uma wants revenge, and she is involved in 4 fights. There is also a scene where she talks to a Chinese guy and he gives her a sword - that's the movie. The fights are boring - it is like looking out your window and watching kids play cops and robbers with tree branches [in the "movie" they use dummy swords]. It is predictable and formulaic. After I finished watching it, I haven't spent any time thinking over any of it. If you want to watch it, then wait until they show it on network TV... Expand
  82. GustavW.
    Jan 15, 2005
    Absolutely gorgeous!
  83. SusanM.
    Feb 1, 2005
    Worst movie I ever saw. Did Tarantino sustain some sort of head injury or something? I couldn't even finish it, had to shut it off.
  84. wongit
    Mar 12, 2005
    I didnt like this film when i first saw this film. i had to watch the movie twice in order to tottaly enjoy it and it is a great film. Its violent fun that is definetly a classic. Tarantino does it again.
  85. JoeyBoy
    Mar 8, 2005
    The most classic action movie ever made.
  86. GaneshV.
    May 16, 2005
    Quentin Tarantino has done it again...he has finally revealed to the world how much b.s. he has up in his brain...i mean , can u carry a sword in the aircraft?...yes u can if u are uma thurman and u are a samurai...some good violent scenes but really unbelievable and exagerrated.........its good on a saturaday afternoon when u have nothing to do...with the same old monotonous direction Quentin Tarantino has done it again...he has finally revealed to the world how much b.s. he has up in his brain...i mean , can u carry a sword in the aircraft?...yes u can if u are uma thurman and u are a samurai...some good violent scenes but really unbelievable and exagerrated.........its good on a saturaday afternoon when u have nothing to do...with the same old monotonous direction style...gimme a break...totally over rated movie...i dont understand why quentin tarantion had to spend 8years to release this b.s...if ur really stressed out and want some sadistic fun just watch out for the gory fight scenes. Expand
  87. NickD.
    Jun 17, 2005
    It's so sad we didn't get to reading the lowest scoring critic review. What would they have to say for themselves? If one cannot see through the "gory" (blood squirting in fountains, cartoony if you ask me) spots and see how incredibly stylish this movie is... Every single moment, every single chopped off arm is full of tension, action, and even humor! Incredible how he combines It's so sad we didn't get to reading the lowest scoring critic review. What would they have to say for themselves? If one cannot see through the "gory" (blood squirting in fountains, cartoony if you ask me) spots and see how incredibly stylish this movie is... Every single moment, every single chopped off arm is full of tension, action, and even humor! Incredible how he combines those key elements harmoniously, fused with great acting and strangely enough believable characters... It's the Bohemian Rhapsody of movies; something of everything, but never coming short. Why do some people see a 10 for a given opinion as if that person is a fanboy? This is one of the movies that's worth it. Expand
  88. naosha
    Jun 8, 2005
    So good i watched i watched it 15 times in 10 days.
  89. AdamH.
    May 8, 2006
    This Movie Rocks!!
  90. jonnyreb
    Jun 2, 2006
    Kill Bill is the best movie I have ever seen! The story is simple as hell but the amazing style, the humour, the characters, and amazing scene after amazing scene left me in awe. I dont think I could describe how jaw-dropping this movie is in an essay let a lone a paragraph.
  91. StaciG
    Nov 13, 2007
    The script read like Tarantino was having a conversation with himself. The violence was stylish, but no matter how you wrap it, crap is crap.
  92. LyndellK.
    Sep 19, 2007
    This Movie Not only is set up in classic QT world with vibrant colors and Crazy places and characters but it is also one of the best filmed movies I've ever seen. And not too mention the end left me out of my seat begging that Vol. 2 would be right after it one of the best movies EVER!
  93. WAKOJAKO
    Oct 11, 2003
    Worth watching if you can stand the wall-to-wall violence, at times so excessive that it's just ludicrous. Some action sequences are so lengthy they begin to test your patience. But in the end, it's Uma Thurman's total commitment to the role of the vengeful Bride that saves this picture from tilting into innanity. Boo to the director for cheating the audience out of the Worth watching if you can stand the wall-to-wall violence, at times so excessive that it's just ludicrous. Some action sequences are so lengthy they begin to test your patience. But in the end, it's Uma Thurman's total commitment to the role of the vengeful Bride that saves this picture from tilting into innanity. Boo to the director for cheating the audience out of the second half and to the greedy producers who agreed to release this film in two parts. One thing for sure: I will see Kill Bill 2, but not until it arrives at the dollar cinema. Expand
  94. NinjaMafia
    Oct 11, 2003
    Kill Bill has been one of my most looked forward to movies of the year. I have to be honest with everyone now, I have never seen Pulp Fiction, Resevoir Dogs, or Jackie Brown, all I knew is that once I saw an interview with Quinten Tarintino and he seemd to be more than obsessed with kung-fu movies. When I heard he was making a kung-fu movie, I thought it was going to be a fantastic movie, Kill Bill has been one of my most looked forward to movies of the year. I have to be honest with everyone now, I have never seen Pulp Fiction, Resevoir Dogs, or Jackie Brown, all I knew is that once I saw an interview with Quinten Tarintino and he seemd to be more than obsessed with kung-fu movies. When I heard he was making a kung-fu movie, I thought it was going to be a fantastic movie, and I wasn't disappointed. The movie is about a bride (whos name is cleverly beeped out whenever somebody says it) who, during her wedding, is brutally slain along with the rest of the wedding party, however, the bride is still alive. She wakes up four years later out for revenge. I don't want to reaveal any more of the story because it was actually suprisingly good. The characters in the movie each have their own very distinct personality, except for the Yakuza henchmen. The action in this movie is really good, which also kind of surprised me because American movies don't seem to have a lot of good kung-fu action in them. This movie is also extremely bloody. Limbs fly, heads roll on the ground, blood gushes unrealistically from almost every stab a character gets. Actually, the blood kind of gives this movie some humor. The unrealistic, 20 gallons of blood from a chopped off arm is laughably cartoonish. But it doesn't really affect the dark mood of the film. Oh and also, the soundtrack to this movie is awesome. I usually don't care for songs in movies because they are usually dull and unmemorable. This movie had songs that got stuck in my head. My only big complaint about this movie is that i have to wait 4 and a half months to see the rest of it. This has got to be the best movie released this year and is definitely going to be one that I will re-watch over and over agin. I haven't even mentioned the anime part of the movie. There is so much going for this movie that I could rant on for weeks. However, people will be disappointed if they walk into this movie expecting one of Quintens other film, from what I've heard, Kill Bill is drastically different from all of his other films. Expand
  95. DavidT.
    Oct 11, 2003
    This movie was breathtaking. Every aspect of it was incredible: from the lighting to the camera angles and the set design to the makeup. At times the movie became a bit over the top and/or drawn out in length of its scenes, it is still a very satisfying experience and a pleasure to watch. Amazing acting!!
  96. SmellySkunk
    Nov 10, 2003
    The most enjoyable movie I've seen this year and I've seen a few! It knocks Reloaded into a cocked hat and then some. A, so far, simple story, a motivated main character and varied styles of film all combine to make an absorbing experience which, once again, shows Tarantino on top of his game. Now what am I going to do until Vol. 2 comes out ?
  97. SteveC.
    Oct 11, 2003
    Other folks have already commented about the violence, but this is to be expected from a QT movie. What is done is style, flash, and a certain tone that is QT at his best. As an interesting aside... I tend to watch sword fighting carefully as I have had a small bit of training. Many of the "moves" Uma makes with her sword are pure Iaido (sword martial art) and she does the moves very Other folks have already commented about the violence, but this is to be expected from a QT movie. What is done is style, flash, and a certain tone that is QT at his best. As an interesting aside... I tend to watch sword fighting carefully as I have had a small bit of training. Many of the "moves" Uma makes with her sword are pure Iaido (sword martial art) and she does the moves very well. She was very well coached. (For example, many of the flurishes after a fight are moves to shake the blood off the blade.) This is a show with at least as much violence as Pulp Fiction, but frankly, I see a much better style and cinematography with this movie. Expand
  98. IanE.
    Oct 11, 2003
    If you are a fan of hongkong cinema you will like this movie. It's a shame so many critics bashed a brilliant film because it went over their heads. Kudos to those critics who got it.
  99. WhitneyP.
    Nov 12, 2003
    Unadulterated Garbage! Don't waste your time.
  100. HoraceA.
    Nov 18, 2003
    Kill Me for being dumb enough to pay for this crap.

1. Reviewed by: Jim Agnew
    A hyper-violent, hyper-gory, kung-fu grindhouse flick. And there’s nothing at all wrong with that.
  2. Is Kill Bill a homage to great Asian action movies? Yes. Is Tarantino trying to outdo his cherished masters (on a budget that dwarfs their films)? Of course. Is there any other point of any of this? Let's see "Vol. 2."
    An incomplete movie, artlessly cleft in the middle. Cinema interruptus.