Kill Bill: Vol. 1

8.0

1. MaxwellS.
    May 9, 2004
    Maybe I had too high of expectations, but the first half of this film let me down a bit. Still a great story with an amazing cliffhanger (although the movie should just be one long three hour experience). Not as good as the gold of Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and True Romance, but the Quentinescence is there.
  2. LavanyaJ
    Jun 9, 2005
    Bang bang he shot me down bang bang that awful sound the best campy movie ever! its a classic tarantino!
  3. KelvinL.
    Aug 29, 2005
    Stylish and exciting with a great soundtrack! I smell a rat, some reviews which gave this film 0 look remarkable similar! This gives me reason to suspect that they were penned from the same indivdual! For those complaining against the violence, just what were you expecting! The clue is in the title! Any film with "kill" in is not going to be Mary Poppins! As for those comments saying most Stylish and exciting with a great soundtrack! I smell a rat, some reviews which gave this film 0 look remarkable similar! This gives me reason to suspect that they were penned from the same indivdual! For those complaining against the violence, just what were you expecting! The clue is in the title! Any film with "kill" in is not going to be Mary Poppins! As for those comments saying most of the audience left halfway through the film with only 25% capacity, I guess it depends where you live, my cinema was packed to capacity and not one person left early! Expand
  4. Alcoholic
    Oct 11, 2003
    Tarantino has done it again!I didn't wait for this movie for nothing. Good mix of great dialogue, unrealism and realism. Go and see it!
  5. AnoldR.
    Jan 6, 2004
    One hell of a movie to come back with, excellent, kept me on the edge of my seat while laughing my arse off, can't wait untill volume 2 comes out in Feb.
  6. GalS.
    Jan 9, 2004
    i have the movie on DVD, and every time I watch it I wanna be in the movie (wtf?!)......it is good!!!!!! although this movie is very bloody its also bloody good!
  7. TheRoninS.
    Feb 4, 2004
    All these people whining about the violence...even squeamish critic Leonard Maltin understood it's overwhelmingly cartoonish nature.
  8. ChadH.
    May 10, 2004
    Best movie of the year for SURE! i cant wait for the second one.
  9. DillB.
    May 30, 2004
    This is one of the greatest movies of all time. Just the way that they set up the scenes and then execute all of the cool scenes. I am saying this from a director's point of view and this has to be one of the greatest movies of all time. I have already seen it about 200 times and it is still one of my favorite movies and it hasn't gotten old yet.
  10. Sean
    Jul 1, 2004
    Amazing. If you enjoy action at all, you will love this movie.
  11. marshallm
    Oct 20, 2005
    Hands down, one of my favorites, but kill bill vol. 2 is even better! and this one is hard to top.
  12. JoeyK.
    Aug 8, 2005
    I'm not a huge enthusiast of Tarantino or this movie, but I liked it and I'm shocked it got as low as a 69. I expected high 70's at the lowest to high 80's at the best. It's a good movie, with interesting style, and plenty to keep your attention. Tarantino screws with reality, it seems, but that's what movies are for, aren't they?
  13. JohnE
    Oct 9, 2006
    Absolute classic revenge movie, Tarantino gives the genre the respect it reserves. This was obviously a tribute to films that have inspired him, but still had Tarantino's signature touches.
  14. MichaelY.
    Apr 6, 2007
    The most exciting moviegoing experience I have ever had in the theater...I don't know whether that makes it a great movie, but it can't hurt. Tarantino pulls out all the stops, showing all of his skills, and gives the audience a helluva ride.
  15. EricC.
    Oct 11, 2003
    This movie is probably the closest I've seen any movie come to imitating a japanese anime. And for me, that's a very good thing. Kill Bill is just surrounded in so much style, it practically puts the film in a league of its own. The action scenes are the best I've seen since Matrix: Reloaded. This film is very bloody, but not like a Jason movie. It would be more accurate to This movie is probably the closest I've seen any movie come to imitating a japanese anime. And for me, that's a very good thing. Kill Bill is just surrounded in so much style, it practically puts the film in a league of its own. The action scenes are the best I've seen since Matrix: Reloaded. This film is very bloody, but not like a Jason movie. It would be more accurate to say the over-the-top blood content helps increase the feel of Kill Bill. The acting is top-notch, and without a doubt, Uma Thurman performs fantastically. I could've easily watched vol. 1 and 2 together for three hours straight. I never got bored of it. Expand
  16. MikeFlex
    Oct 11, 2003
    Kill Bill may not have been the greatest movie I've ever seen, but it is, wthout a doubt, one of the coolest. For the first time, Tarantino's direction takes the lead over his script and it pays off in the best movie of his career not named Pulp Fiction. Besides, all you needs a sense of humor and a love of Sonny Chiba.
  17. PaulM.
    Oct 10, 2003
    This movie is like a cinematic roller-coaster, and you ride a roller coaster for the thrill of pounding down a track at breakneck speeds and for the spray of adrenals...in that it succeeds majestically...to require this movie to do anything else is to shortchange it...Bravo Quentin...this baby rocks at 90 miles an hour...
  18. Uter
    Nov 20, 2003
    The plot is very simple, but the style and action are superb.
  19. NoelT.
    Oct 13, 2003
    Well you have to realize that we have only seen half of the movie. Can't judge Citizen Kane, or Casablanca if you only saw half of it. God forbid they have an intermission. Imagine what Akira Kurosawa's film Seven Samuri would be like if it was released today. Would they break it into 3 sections. Seven Samuri Vol. 1, 2 and 3? Or would distributor really want people to sit though Well you have to realize that we have only seen half of the movie. Can't judge Citizen Kane, or Casablanca if you only saw half of it. God forbid they have an intermission. Imagine what Akira Kurosawa's film Seven Samuri would be like if it was released today. Would they break it into 3 sections. Seven Samuri Vol. 1, 2 and 3? Or would distributor really want people to sit though a 4.5 hour long movie with a 15 min. intermission? My only complaint is I wish they would show what "the bride" was while a-mother-to-be and a-wife-to -be. So we can great an idea of how good her life was and how bad it got so quickly. If they did this more people would be cheering for black mambo. Who knows they might have some of that in the other half. Go see it now. Expand
  20. Ishii
    Oct 13, 2003
    Yes, my last name is Ishii - same as O-ren Ishii in the film. Anyhoo, this movie kicked ass. It's all about Uma Thurman going around ruining everyone's sh.t. 100% great entertainment.
  21. JoshuaW.
    Oct 14, 2003
    Forget Uma Thurman's quest for justice, Tarantino is back with his own vengeance in Kill Bill. Every year there's mabye 5-10 films that are worth while, and only about half of those are cinematic gems at that. Kill Bill is certainly one of those gems.
  22. JaredS.
    Oct 15, 2003
    Wow! This truly is a movie buffs wet dream! I wouldn't have seen this movie four times in three days if I didn't mean that, and I'm prime to see it again. Volume 2 now has a lot to live up to, but you know as well as I do, that Tarantino can pull it off. Bravo, QT! Continue your legendary career with whatever you'd like, because if this is the result, long live the king!
  23. Orpheusfix
    Oct 17, 2003
    If anything else, a celebration of pop culture. (One of the guys below gave the movie a 0 after walking out on it 30 minutes into the movie. That's kind of stupid ain't it? Why not see the entire movie and then rate it for what one thought it should deserve.)
  24. IntroducingTheHardlineAccordingToGilbertMulroneyca
    Oct 17, 2003
    Pure. There's a one word review for you: pure. Not morally pure, or spiritually pure, cinematically pure. Like 2001: A Space Oddysey, Kill Bill is not about things, it is things. At first glance, it's a little style-over-substanceish, but delve deeper and it's clear that it's ALL style, to the extent that the style IS the substance. It must be said, though, that this Pure. There's a one word review for you: pure. Not morally pure, or spiritually pure, cinematically pure. Like 2001: A Space Oddysey, Kill Bill is not about things, it is things. At first glance, it's a little style-over-substanceish, but delve deeper and it's clear that it's ALL style, to the extent that the style IS the substance. It must be said, though, that this makes for something of a cocktail in too small a glass, with so many tricks and stylistic doodahs going off at the same time. QT is palpably drunk on filmmaking - but it still works. Think of it as his 1941, only better. Besides, the director of 1941's gone on to do alright for himself. It's really difficult to recommend Kill Bill - critics in this country have savaged it, partly because they miss the point, but also because it's a very Marmite sort of film - so the best I can say is, if you like this sort of thing, this sort of thing you like. And even if you don't, it's brilliant, in its own slightly psychotic way. Expand
  25. John
    Oct 24, 2003
    Kill Bill is absolutely one of the best, if not the best movie out so far this year. The people giving it 0's obviously can't get over the violence factor to appreciate its unique style and all the great detail brought in from the movie genres that this movie is based on. Although gory, it's the kind of over-the-top gore and violence that begins to become desensitizing on Kill Bill is absolutely one of the best, if not the best movie out so far this year. The people giving it 0's obviously can't get over the violence factor to appreciate its unique style and all the great detail brought in from the movie genres that this movie is based on. Although gory, it's the kind of over-the-top gore and violence that begins to become desensitizing on purpose. If Tarantino had wanted, he could have made the gore 100 times more realistic. Instead he is poking fun and paying homage to those kung fu movies, and revenge flicks where all these elements (simple plot, fake gore, no character development) are done just by accident as a result of bad filmmaking. Here it is all done on purpose...some people understand that and can smile, and some people can't. On another note, I really appreciated Uma's performance in this, being someone who has never thought she was that pretty nor talented, but she really shines in this movie. Expand
  26. LuisC.
    Oct 28, 2003
    This and Lost in Translation are thest films of the year so far. Bring on ROTK!
  27. SeanC.
    Oct 9, 2003
    A really awesome, unbalanced, bloody, mean, funny, twisted, cliched, sexy, awkward, ice cold, boundary-pushing, ass-kicking action flick. Expect Jackie Brown and prepare for disappoinment. Expect kung fu and get your socks rocked off.
  28. ArtherS.
    Oct 9, 2003
    This movie is awesome. And I shoud know, cuz I'm really smart at judging these kind of things! It is awesome. What can I say!
  29. Radical
    Jan 16, 2004
    Its worth noting how strong people's reactions are to this film. One one hand, critics say they left feeling nothing and claim the film succeeds in being powerfully emotive; however, they are quick to exhibit extremely harsh reactions to the film. While the film celebrates violence on screen, it appears to be no greater than the violence of the critic's tongue. With that being Its worth noting how strong people's reactions are to this film. One one hand, critics say they left feeling nothing and claim the film succeeds in being powerfully emotive; however, they are quick to exhibit extremely harsh reactions to the film. While the film celebrates violence on screen, it appears to be no greater than the violence of the critic's tongue. With that being said, I feel that there is a trend of expectations developing in our critical eye that is damaging to what film represents: film does not need a social agenda -- by requiring it to satisfy your own personal belief systems, you are sacrificing your ability to objectively analyze and study the art. This is clearly a powerful film, with gorgeous imagery, fantastic pacing and tone, and possesses sufficient depth for contemplative and satisfying analysis. Tarentino is a powerful visionary, director auture of our day, and his work should be studied within his own context, not yours. Expand
  30. JosephM.
    Jan 8, 2004
    Don't take this movie too seriously and it is a pretty good time. I don't remember ever seeing this much blood in a movie since Charlton Heston turned the waters to blook in The Ten Commandments... This movie is an instant classic in the martial arts genre and I look forward to volume 2!
  31. JohnC.
    Feb 10, 2004
    This movie splits people up. Either you "Get it" or you dont. If you don't, then I feel sorry for you. But if you do, "get it", then this movie will go down as one of the most entertaining, laughable, over the top, crazy movie you will ever see. Its a conundrum of sorts. Its slow, and fast. Its serious and silly. Its shocking and hilarious. What Kill Bill really is... Its art. Its This movie splits people up. Either you "Get it" or you dont. If you don't, then I feel sorry for you. But if you do, "get it", then this movie will go down as one of the most entertaining, laughable, over the top, crazy movie you will ever see. Its a conundrum of sorts. Its slow, and fast. Its serious and silly. Its shocking and hilarious. What Kill Bill really is... Its art. Its visionary. Its a dream brought to life. Its simple yet intriguing. Its mind-bendingly brutal, but its all taken in jest. I have never laughed so much at such over the top silliness, but it held together without losing one ounce of magnetism for the intrigued watcher. Its like nothing you ever seen before, but at the same time, you have probably seen everything within it before. Its a conundrum. And Quentin Tarantino brings together the whole parody of B-movies to a different level. Its a work of sheer brilliance, and it will go down as being one of the greatest cult films ever made. Absolutely brilliant. I just feel sorry for those who don't "Get it"... But then again, who cares about them anyways? Kill Bill is an amazing film, and one that is unique. Collapse
  32. RenanB.
    Feb 21, 2004
    As Ebert said in his review, there is not a real story here, but there is storytelling. It's not so deep or intelligent. IT'S PURE FUN. IT'S ABOUT HAVING FUN. If you don't get this, too bad.
  33. S.
    Feb 25, 2004
    I agree with John C on this one... I got it.
  34. TelyS
    Feb 3, 2004
    Tarantino contiues his exploration into the arts of plagerism with his latest. While I'll take any old school Japanese/Hong Kong action film over Kill Bill, Bill is fun in a way that only Q.T. can make it. Ironicly, the best, most original sequence in the film is also the least nessesary, the anime backstory of O-Ren.
  35. Uter
    Mar 1, 2004
    It's well done, but the plot is ultra simple. I like the style though.
  36. Roman
    Mar 3, 2004
    To make a movie that does not have any type of plot and still succeeds the way this does shows that QT knows how to tell a story. Of course this movie is violent and if that is the only reason people dont like it, then they are too dumb for this anyways. This is QT's way of showing us the styles of movies that influenced him and most americans dont "get it". This movie is pure fun To make a movie that does not have any type of plot and still succeeds the way this does shows that QT knows how to tell a story. Of course this movie is violent and if that is the only reason people dont like it, then they are too dumb for this anyways. This is QT's way of showing us the styles of movies that influenced him and most americans dont "get it". This movie is pure fun and the young japanese girl steals every scene she is in. This movie is full of violence from beginning to end but it tells it in a way that is articulate and inventive. None of this just shoot the other guys like bad boys or some stupid crap like that. This is storytelling at its best and the anime in the middle proves that most people look at movies and most other things i might add with a narrow point of view and cannot expand their mindset. This was brought to you by a liberal college student with a 3.8 gpa. For the dumbasses who "dont get" this movie, ill take my groceries in plastic please. Expand
  37. MichaelC.
    Apr 14, 2004
    Wow! I haven't been this excited about an action movie in a long time. Kill Bill is an extraordinary take on the martial arts action style. It does what last year's Matrix films attempt to do for fight scenes. The scenes are choreographed brilliantly, and the use of cinematography is exceptional. However, as no movie is perfect, it would be unfair to all the movies I bash to not Wow! I haven't been this excited about an action movie in a long time. Kill Bill is an extraordinary take on the martial arts action style. It does what last year's Matrix films attempt to do for fight scenes. The scenes are choreographed brilliantly, and the use of cinematography is exceptional. However, as no movie is perfect, it would be unfair to all the movies I bash to not point out Kill Bill's faults. Dialog in parts of the movie is severely lacking (especially for Tarantino), and the concept of the movie itself (a tale of revenge) is painfully linear. The movie seems to move along as expected with no real twists, even though there are plenty of shocking parts. Overall, I think Vol. 1 did a great job setting up this story. Tarantino has said that we "really haven't seen anything, yet," so I'm incredibly anxious to see where Vol. 2 takes us. I recommend this film for anyone who was a fan of Tarantino's previous work, along with anyone longing for a film to return substance to the action genre after last year's crapfest. Expand
  38. KevinU.
    Apr 21, 2004
    This movie was outstanding, the connection Vol. 1 makes with Vol. 2 makes the two movies perfectly come together, as a martial artist myself I do work with the Katana and it was put to good use in this fantastic movie. The blood spray is just QT's way of showing his famous dark comedy and some people don't understand that. It's supposed to be over done.
  39. DerekM.
    Apr 8, 2004
    The movie rides on pure cinematic flare. It's as if Tarantino is trying to prove that he can make a good movie out of a terrible script. Although I have to be honest. I had a lot of fun watching this film. Most action movies bore me to no end, but not Kill Bill. I sat mesmerized throughout. Overall this movie is just a mindless good time, that you don't have to be mindless to enjoy.
  40. Rus-T
    May 1, 2004
    I love reading the comments from those who don't get Tarantino...giggle!
  41. PatC.
    Jun 1, 2004
    Does not have the comprehensive outlook of Pulp Fiction, but the victims are more plentiful and bleed much more profusely. Tarantino fans will quickly realize that he continues to be lucky to have Uma Thurman facilitating his quirky intensity. The plot is basically Thurman's character out to slay five selected persons who wronged her, but she is perfectly willing to dispatch a few Does not have the comprehensive outlook of Pulp Fiction, but the victims are more plentiful and bleed much more profusely. Tarantino fans will quickly realize that he continues to be lucky to have Uma Thurman facilitating his quirky intensity. The plot is basically Thurman's character out to slay five selected persons who wronged her, but she is perfectly willing to dispatch a few hundred of their associates on the fly. As such she does not lend herself well to complex character exposition. But if you buy into the state of affairs inferred upon comatose hospital patients in Texas, you don't care. It's a pathetic story riding a riveting presentation, and as a bonus it solves the age old dilemma of how your average American housewife should break off a knife fight when her daughter comes home from school. Bring on Part II. Expand
  42. GustavW.
    Jan 15, 2005
    Absolutely gorgeous!
  43. wongit
    Mar 12, 2005
    I didnt like this film when i first saw this film. i had to watch the movie twice in order to tottaly enjoy it and it is a great film. Its violent fun that is definetly a classic. Tarantino does it again.
  44. JoeyBoy
    Mar 8, 2005
    The most classic action movie ever made.
  45. NickD.
    Jun 17, 2005
    It's so sad we didn't get to reading the lowest scoring critic review. What would they have to say for themselves? If one cannot see through the "gory" (blood squirting in fountains, cartoony if you ask me) spots and see how incredibly stylish this movie is... Every single moment, every single chopped off arm is full of tension, action, and even humor! Incredible how he combines It's so sad we didn't get to reading the lowest scoring critic review. What would they have to say for themselves? If one cannot see through the "gory" (blood squirting in fountains, cartoony if you ask me) spots and see how incredibly stylish this movie is... Every single moment, every single chopped off arm is full of tension, action, and even humor! Incredible how he combines those key elements harmoniously, fused with great acting and strangely enough believable characters... It's the Bohemian Rhapsody of movies; something of everything, but never coming short. Why do some people see a 10 for a given opinion as if that person is a fanboy? This is one of the movies that's worth it. Expand
  46. naosha
    Jun 8, 2005
    So good i watched i watched it 15 times in 10 days.
  47. AdamH.
    May 8, 2006
    This Movie Rocks!!
  48. jonnyreb
    Jun 2, 2006
    Kill Bill is the best movie I have ever seen! The story is simple as hell but the amazing style, the humour, the characters, and amazing scene after amazing scene left me in awe. I dont think I could describe how jaw-dropping this movie is in an essay let a lone a paragraph.
  49. LyndellK.
    Sep 19, 2007
    This Movie Not only is set up in classic QT world with vibrant colors and Crazy places and characters but it is also one of the best filmed movies I've ever seen. And not too mention the end left me out of my seat begging that Vol. 2 would be right after it one of the best movies EVER!
  50. NinjaMafia
    Oct 11, 2003
    Kill Bill has been one of my most looked forward to movies of the year. I have to be honest with everyone now, I have never seen Pulp Fiction, Resevoir Dogs, or Jackie Brown, all I knew is that once I saw an interview with Quinten Tarintino and he seemd to be more than obsessed with kung-fu movies. When I heard he was making a kung-fu movie, I thought it was going to be a fantastic movie, Kill Bill has been one of my most looked forward to movies of the year. I have to be honest with everyone now, I have never seen Pulp Fiction, Resevoir Dogs, or Jackie Brown, all I knew is that once I saw an interview with Quinten Tarintino and he seemd to be more than obsessed with kung-fu movies. When I heard he was making a kung-fu movie, I thought it was going to be a fantastic movie, and I wasn't disappointed. The movie is about a bride (whos name is cleverly beeped out whenever somebody says it) who, during her wedding, is brutally slain along with the rest of the wedding party, however, the bride is still alive. She wakes up four years later out for revenge. I don't want to reaveal any more of the story because it was actually suprisingly good. The characters in the movie each have their own very distinct personality, except for the Yakuza henchmen. The action in this movie is really good, which also kind of surprised me because American movies don't seem to have a lot of good kung-fu action in them. This movie is also extremely bloody. Limbs fly, heads roll on the ground, blood gushes unrealistically from almost every stab a character gets. Actually, the blood kind of gives this movie some humor. The unrealistic, 20 gallons of blood from a chopped off arm is laughably cartoonish. But it doesn't really affect the dark mood of the film. Oh and also, the soundtrack to this movie is awesome. I usually don't care for songs in movies because they are usually dull and unmemorable. This movie had songs that got stuck in my head. My only big complaint about this movie is that i have to wait 4 and a half months to see the rest of it. This has got to be the best movie released this year and is definitely going to be one that I will re-watch over and over agin. I haven't even mentioned the anime part of the movie. There is so much going for this movie that I could rant on for weeks. However, people will be disappointed if they walk into this movie expecting one of Quintens other film, from what I've heard, Kill Bill is drastically different from all of his other films. Expand
  51. DavidT.
    Oct 11, 2003
    This movie was breathtaking. Every aspect of it was incredible: from the lighting to the camera angles and the set design to the makeup. At times the movie became a bit over the top and/or drawn out in length of its scenes, it is still a very satisfying experience and a pleasure to watch. Amazing acting!!
  52. SmellySkunk
    Nov 10, 2003
    The most enjoyable movie I've seen this year and I've seen a few! It knocks Reloaded into a cocked hat and then some. A, so far, simple story, a motivated main character and varied styles of film all combine to make an absorbing experience which, once again, shows Tarantino on top of his game. Now what am I going to do until Vol. 2 comes out ?
  53. SteveC.
    Oct 11, 2003
    Other folks have already commented about the violence, but this is to be expected from a QT movie. What is done is style, flash, and a certain tone that is QT at his best. As an interesting aside... I tend to watch sword fighting carefully as I have had a small bit of training. Many of the "moves" Uma makes with her sword are pure Iaido (sword martial art) and she does the moves very Other folks have already commented about the violence, but this is to be expected from a QT movie. What is done is style, flash, and a certain tone that is QT at his best. As an interesting aside... I tend to watch sword fighting carefully as I have had a small bit of training. Many of the "moves" Uma makes with her sword are pure Iaido (sword martial art) and she does the moves very well. She was very well coached. (For example, many of the flurishes after a fight are moves to shake the blood off the blade.) This is a show with at least as much violence as Pulp Fiction, but frankly, I see a much better style and cinematography with this movie. Expand
  54. IanE.
    Oct 11, 2003
    If you are a fan of hongkong cinema you will like this movie. It's a shame so many critics bashed a brilliant film because it went over their heads. Kudos to those critics who got it.
  55. FatTony
    Oct 10, 2003
    This movie was amazing. The way tarantino was able to take the old chinese, japanese and american grindhouse film styles and mix them into one beautiful 2 part film is beyond me.
  56. KeisariJ.
    Nov 20, 2003
    And I thought Tarantino was out of aces, but he managed to draw one out of his sleeve, again! To me, Tarantino is above the God himself. I can´t believe that this was only a vol.1, can´t wait the second one!
  57. TimAlen
    Nov 29, 2003
    At last a good action movie! Tarantino did a good job; keep it up!
  58. S.Y.
    Oct 12, 2003
    This movie was for us...not them it rocked. period.
  59. ChanningS.
    Oct 13, 2003
    Incredible movie. QT at his best. Near perfect. Mesmerizing. I agree completely with Roger Ebert. The critics that don't get it, don't get it. Some kind of wonderful. Don't read reviews, just see it.
  60. LeonC.
    Oct 13, 2003
    Anyone who doesn't like this movie simply does not understand it. it is brilliant in every sense of film, and it is about time a director makes as ballsy a move as this one and really trademark a movie as his own. anyone who does not like this film has either not done their homework or has no taste whatsoever.
  61. Triniman
    Oct 16, 2003
    Ultra-violent and cartoonish, this is an hommage to some of Tarantino's favorite cult films and directors. Uma Thurman slices and dices her way through tons of bad guys with her trusty Japanese sword, deftly defying gravity to her advantage. At times, this seems like "Crouching Tiger" for the MTV generation. The violence is so over the top that it really is funny, especially when Ultra-violent and cartoonish, this is an hommage to some of Tarantino's favorite cult films and directors. Uma Thurman slices and dices her way through tons of bad guys with her trusty Japanese sword, deftly defying gravity to her advantage. At times, this seems like "Crouching Tiger" for the MTV generation. The violence is so over the top that it really is funny, especially when limbs and heads get severed and there's geyers of blood spurting forth. Part of the film is animie that explains the origin of the Lucy Liu character. It is highly stylized in its own right and commands your complete attention. Some of the non-action scenes are too long and drawn out, which is this film's biggest flaw. If you're looking for complex plot and thought-provoking dialogue, look elsewhere. If you're looking for mindless action, this is about as stylized and as funny as it gets. Blows away films that take themself too seriously, like the Blade series. Look for part II next year. Expand
  62. RobF.
    Oct 16, 2003
    Some scenes run on a bit too long, but this is easily the most kinetic and exuberant film to come down the pike in quite some time. Granted, those looking for a coherent plot or compelling characters are likely to be disappointed, but they aren't likely to attend anyway. This movie isn't about anything but Tarantino's love of movies and his marvelous command of cinematic Some scenes run on a bit too long, but this is easily the most kinetic and exuberant film to come down the pike in quite some time. Granted, those looking for a coherent plot or compelling characters are likely to be disappointed, but they aren't likely to attend anyway. This movie isn't about anything but Tarantino's love of movies and his marvelous command of cinematic style. It's expensive, glossy trash, but it's terrific. Expand
  63. BrianS.
    Oct 17, 2003
    Loved every minute of it.
  64. C.Meyer
    Oct 17, 2003
    WONDERFUL movie!! truly unique and inventive and the Soundtrack just kicks!!! Great performances/wondeful cinematography ... there's nothing NOT to like in this movie!!!
  65. MacJustice
    Oct 19, 2003
    An utterly brilliant exercise in style. Those complaining of the violence are ignoring the part of their humanity that thirsts for chaos and destruction. Every element of this movie, from the soundtrack, to the cinematography, the editing, costume and set design, and acting of this movie is done just so, to the point where it is like a well crafted samurai sword, folded upon itself over An utterly brilliant exercise in style. Those complaining of the violence are ignoring the part of their humanity that thirsts for chaos and destruction. Every element of this movie, from the soundtrack, to the cinematography, the editing, costume and set design, and acting of this movie is done just so, to the point where it is like a well crafted samurai sword, folded upon itself over and over until it reaches perfection. This movie may not try to teach you any life lessons, but it is a visceral, sublime experience in pure cinematic enjoyment. Expand
  66. ChrisD.
    Oct 19, 2003
    Anyone who cannot see what he is doing is this film needs to take the critic's dunce cap off and enjoy an excellent homage.
  67. ValentinS.
    Oct 19, 2003
    Tarantino shows the violence in this movie without emotion. There's nearly never a sign to understand: Was this bloodbath now meant to be funny or not? So all i can tell you: Leaving the cinema i had ambivalent feelings.. the dialogues weren't really satisfying, but on the other hand its style, its coolness, its sound was brilliant.
  68. Trevor
    Oct 21, 2003
    A perfect martial arts film. Just the kind of exuberant, exhiliarating, preposterous film you could hope for from Tarantino and then some. I haven't had so much fun in a movie theater in many years, maybe ever. Kill Bill is a genuine work of art that pays wonderful tribute to such classic samurai films as Yojimbo and Sanjuro, just to name a few. The soundtrack also perfectly matched A perfect martial arts film. Just the kind of exuberant, exhiliarating, preposterous film you could hope for from Tarantino and then some. I haven't had so much fun in a movie theater in many years, maybe ever. Kill Bill is a genuine work of art that pays wonderful tribute to such classic samurai films as Yojimbo and Sanjuro, just to name a few. The soundtrack also perfectly matched the film and I think Tarantino did a fine job selecting the music. All in all, Kill Bill is practially flawless. It's a masterpiece. Expand
  69. KobeeH.
    Oct 20, 2003
    Tarantino Masterpiece. Leaving Kill Bill, there was a sense of awe at what I had just seen. It is truly unbelievable that this is only Quentin's 4th movie! I mean even some of the best directors like Spielberg and Scorcese had warm up periods before blowing the audiences away. Mr. Tarantino did it right out the gate with Reservoir Dogs, and he keeps at it. Kill Bill has so many Tarantino Masterpiece. Leaving Kill Bill, there was a sense of awe at what I had just seen. It is truly unbelievable that this is only Quentin's 4th movie! I mean even some of the best directors like Spielberg and Scorcese had warm up periods before blowing the audiences away. Mr. Tarantino did it right out the gate with Reservoir Dogs, and he keeps at it. Kill Bill has so many styles thrown in that you would think it would have to be horrible. But it's all executed so damn well that you're just amazed! He has created an live-action anime. But more importantly, an excellent, engaging revenge story. He is a genius. He is having a full-blown love affair with movies, and it shows. From crime stories to paying homage to a slew of asian films, he is an incredible visionary. An incredible artist. Trust me. See Kill Bill:Volume One and join me in frothing over the release of Volume Two in Feburary. Expand
  70. TokerC.
    Oct 20, 2003
    This movie is a pilgrimage to Tarantino's holy land, a stylistic visual orgasm defining his perception of art. Tarantino marched to Mecca, samurai sword in hand and fulfilled a cinematic dream, filming an ode to kungfu masterpieces in an in-your-face theme park thrill ride effort. The film does what it?s supposed to do, and nothing more. The film is what it?s intended to be and This movie is a pilgrimage to Tarantino's holy land, a stylistic visual orgasm defining his perception of art. Tarantino marched to Mecca, samurai sword in hand and fulfilled a cinematic dream, filming an ode to kungfu masterpieces in an in-your-face theme park thrill ride effort. The film does what it?s supposed to do, and nothing more. The film is what it?s intended to be and nothing less. Tarantino?s genius is accomplishing his vision with perfect precision, and timing, allowing the audience to experience his creativity on his level. Anything else would have been a perverted disaster. Expand
  71. TomB.
    Oct 20, 2003
    I've gotta admit, when I first heard that Quentin Tarantino was a big fan of the Hong Kong martial arts action flicks (they don't even deserve to be called "films") I was a little shocked~You know, sort of like if you read about a world class chef being crazy about 7/11 nachos? So of course when I heard that "Kill Bill" was going to be his homage to those same sorry-ass flicks I I've gotta admit, when I first heard that Quentin Tarantino was a big fan of the Hong Kong martial arts action flicks (they don't even deserve to be called "films") I was a little shocked~You know, sort of like if you read about a world class chef being crazy about 7/11 nachos? So of course when I heard that "Kill Bill" was going to be his homage to those same sorry-ass flicks I was ready to skip it. But you know what? He somehow managed to take the elements of that sad and empty-headed genre and transform it into a fun and exciting experience that someone other than a pimply faced nerd could sink his teeth into. Uma Thurman is wonderful as are the other players and the music which accompanies each scene becomes a character in and of itself. Don't believe what you hear about how brutal the action is either; There is indeed a lot of violence but it's done in such an over-the-top manner that it takes on the kind of cringing comical feel of Monty Python and there's no way any intelligent adult could take it seriously. Does it rate up there with "Pulp Fiction"? Well...maybe not quite...but darn close! Expand
  72. Marc-o
    Oct 22, 2003
    This film was the daddy!!! A few points 1: Too Short i could easily of done the whole 3 hours 2: The best Friday night i have spent at the cinema 3: Don't know about you guys but i'm going to see that again.
  73. SongK.
    Oct 27, 2003
    A movie that pleases you all over. There is so much action, comedy, gore, and fighting. This movie deserves way more. The low rating are from people who have a hard time seeing humor and get offended easily. You have to see this movie if you love fighting and gory movies.
  74. EricP.
    Oct 28, 2003
    Stylized violence and a minimal script with the Tarantino charm. Very watchable.
  75. JayK.
    Oct 29, 2003
    Don't rate this until you've seen the second volume. That said, this movie Kicks Ass.
  76. UnzippedZach
    Oct 31, 2003
    Love it or hate it. loved it because it went places no one ever dares/wants to go. and thats something you dont see everyday in a movie. and so i gave this film a perfect ten because it offend's people and carries a great big set of balls.
  77. D.S.
    Oct 6, 2003
    Was far better than critics seem to be giving it credit for. The action was brilliant and it was just an all out fun movie to go to.
  78. NicolasO.
    Oct 9, 2003
    Quentin's back, and he's in shape like never. This movie rocks, and it's the best I've ever seen.
  79. KyleA.
    Jan 31, 2004
    I LOVED this film, and im not even particularly a fan of martial-arts movies (In fact, i think this is the only one i've ever liked). As for the people that gave this movie a 0, they just didn't "get" the film. I took it as a bloody, comedy/spoof of martial arts films with almost no plotline, which is what Tarantino intended, but also is why it's so incredible! There is I LOVED this film, and im not even particularly a fan of martial-arts movies (In fact, i think this is the only one i've ever liked). As for the people that gave this movie a 0, they just didn't "get" the film. I took it as a bloody, comedy/spoof of martial arts films with almost no plotline, which is what Tarantino intended, but also is why it's so incredible! There is nothing else like out there even remotely similar to this film. Tarantino is a genius. Expand
  80. BrianL.
    Feb 19, 2004
    Yes, it's gory; yes, it's shallow; yes, it's reminiscent of other movies. At the same time, if you can get past that, it's an amazing piece of work. It's the film equivalent of a trashy novel: it may lack substance or taste, but it's a great time.
  81. CameronS.
    Feb 26, 2004
    Quentin Tarantino has compared his new masterpiece to be his great kung fu, Revenge, Epic Spaghetti Western picture. He admires Sergio Leone more than any of directors to my knowledge. But there is another director that I am reminded of the resonance similar to Quentin Tarantino, that man is Stanley Kubrick. The production of this project and the long wait between features for these Quentin Tarantino has compared his new masterpiece to be his great kung fu, Revenge, Epic Spaghetti Western picture. He admires Sergio Leone more than any of directors to my knowledge. But there is another director that I am reminded of the resonance similar to Quentin Tarantino, that man is Stanley Kubrick. The production of this project and the long wait between features for these directors is pretty alike. Kill Bill is more than just Quentin Tarantino?s epic grindhouse western revenge martial arts masterpiece, it?s his 2001: A Space Odyssey. When Kubrick did 2001, there was a gap of four years between that one and one of Kubrick?s other masterpieces, Dr. Strangelove, while it has been six years since Quentin Tarantino has directed a film. 2001 was also [plagued] by over running the budget and going extremely over schedule. The production of that movie lasted four years. Kill Bill didn?t go on that long, but it did go quite over budget and was in production for much longer than suspected. There was a great celebration Another great connection to be made between the two chef d'oeuvres is the music. Kubrick revolutionized the way music was to be used in the movies with 2001, Tarantino marvels his scenes with great music. They?re usually popular songs and are used very well in each scene, and ring well with the action on screen. Although Kill Bill (after volume 1) isn?t Tarantino?s finest, it is his epic, just the same as 2001 wasn?t Kubrick?s greatest film, but his greatest achievement. All the technical parts to the film work extremely well with the great, physical acting & the inordinate screenplay & narrative. The editing is great, something that action films of late have lacked in. And the cinematography is one of the years best. Twice, I noticed a great white light behind characters. The first white, symbolic, Christ-like lighting comes from the character Hattori Hanzo (Sonny Chiba), who befriends The Bride (Uma Thurman) and builds her, without ego, his greatest sword ever. He knows that the sword will kill many men, and tells The Bride that if she comes face to face with God, the sword will cut him. These little moments that are involved in this kind of metaphorical lighting should seal some cinematography nomination come Oscar season. And the production design is also very lustrous and symbolic. There isn?t much to the story. The Bride belonged to a ?bad? Charlie?s Angels group, called the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad, or DiVAS. She decided to leave this squad, and get on with a life of her own. She was pregnant and to marry, when the uninvited guests showed up, and killed 8 people at the wedding. The Bride was to marry, and was pregnant with Bill?s child, she tells him this before he puts a bullet in her head. Four years later, she wakes up from a comatose to exact her revenge on the DiVAS. Her list reads: 1. O-Ren Ishii, AKA Cottonmouth (Lucy Liu), 2. Vernita Green, AKA Copperhead (Vivica A. Fox), 3. Budd, AKA Sidewinder, 4. Elle Driver/California Mountain Snake, and 5. Bill. You?ll have to wait until February to see Uma Thurman Kill Bill. But, in the year 2003, you will get to see, Uma Thurman, KILL LOT?S of PEOPLE, most all of them guilty. There isn?t anything wrong with the films? elementary plot, the execution is right one for everything A real interesting thing that was done in Kill Bill was to serialize it, the film is cut into chapters, much like Flash Gordon and other serials of the thirties and fourties. The unfolding chapters are each about a reel long, and the film also includes a prologue. This also gives me the idea of-What if the film had been cut up into 10 or so installments? Just a thought, not really a good idea, just a throwback to the Lost Art and I suspect that something like that will happen soon. O-Ren Ishii, the most developed antagonist since probably Darth Vader?But Darth Vader didn?t benefit from a flashback story being told from Luke?s point of view (Unless George Lucas decides to add in something when he further molests his classics). O-Ren?s story involves one of great pain and sorrow. And how she grows to great success. Her story is told in what could go down as one of the greatest, most emotional anime sequences ever. Without letting too much out, we start to feel a lot of sympathy for her, as it is already known that she dies by a clue earlier in the film. But there is a very funny, part that comes after that. She is the new leader of the Japanese Yakuza, and is being putdown by an older gentleman. He declares her election as a perverse intrusion on the Yakuza tradition, and calls her describes her heritage as negative. There is quite a payoff to be seen. As with the whole chapter that she envelopes. The film is quite violent. Easily the most violent, in terms of gore, ?R? certified American movie released on 3,000+ screens. And it may be gratuitous, but in a very likeable, comic sense. Limbs fly awry all over the House of the Blue Leaves, the largest part of this movie. And the film sports an unearthly body count. 109 dead or wounded. If you really feel the movie is incomplete, try to divulge on what happens throughout its arc. This is a movie with three individual acts. The first act introduces us to its characters, the second act has The Bride travel to Okinawa and learns how to sword fight, and receives her grand weapon. The third act would be the House of Blue Leaves. The best reason to see this film, although there are other reasons. Also, take a good look at Reloaded, was that really a complete movie? And remember, it?s not hype when it?s this good. As far as the complaints of having to pay twice as much for a whole three and a half-hour movie, I can?t quite disagree with this outcry. But the movie is intense and great, and has quite an ending that brings a huge twist for the second film, one greater than that of Matrix: Reloaded. Which is another movie that you have to pay twice for?What if you had to sit through the entire 7-hour prequel Trilogy? Let?s not be hypocritical, The Matrix sequels are on a pretty similar basis. Gene Siskel once asked a question about bad movies. Could a movie about the actors & crew eating lunch, behind the scenes make for a more interesting film? The answer would be false if you were talking about Kill Bill, but boy would I like to see one on the DVD. Kill Bill is what I would refer to as ?Real Cinema?. One of a few entries of the year, this is what I would classify as the first ?Action Masterpiece? of the 21st Century. A similar benchmark was made last year, with Punch-Drunk Love being the first ?Romantic Masterpiece? of the 21st Century. Expand
  82. JohnO.
    Feb 3, 2004
    A powerful piece of art. Unfortunately, it loves blood a little too much, but that's a minor quibble.
  83. JaneT.
    Mar 29, 2004
    I think it rocked. I will admit, at first I was almost ready to leave because of the violence (which I wasn't used to), but my friend who's a kung fu/grind house geek stopped me and said this is how these movies are. And he's right. After watching KB, I did some research and noticed many of QT's inspiration movies to be bloody. I think this is the main reason for I think it rocked. I will admit, at first I was almost ready to leave because of the violence (which I wasn't used to), but my friend who's a kung fu/grind house geek stopped me and said this is how these movies are. And he's right. After watching KB, I did some research and noticed many of QT's inspiration movies to be bloody. I think this is the main reason for people hating it. I almost did, until I did some research. I feel sorry for the people who didn't enjoy it or understand it for its film value. Sorry you guys and girls missed out on the fun. It is plainly obvious he did loot obsessively from other movies, but at least it didn't look cheap and nasty on screen. I would call his looting 'DADA' (found objects) lol. Expand
  84. TDeL.
    Mar 8, 2004
    I believe that one of the interesting plot twists to come will be an explanation of O-Ren ISHII's relationship to Bill. How did she become one of Bill's assassins when it is quite clear in the anime scene that it was Bill who actually stabbed/killed her father, (the ring on the finger, the embroidery on the sword is identical to that shown in the two two scenes where Bill is I believe that one of the interesting plot twists to come will be an explanation of O-Ren ISHII's relationship to Bill. How did she become one of Bill's assassins when it is quite clear in the anime scene that it was Bill who actually stabbed/killed her father, (the ring on the finger, the embroidery on the sword is identical to that shown in the two two scenes where Bill is speaking in the film) the cosmetic likeness of the anime killer to David Carradine further aludes to this. I would have given it a 9 had i not been so disenchanted that Miramax accountants have pulled a flanker and split what is obviously not by structure a 2 part story into 2 films Expand
  85. TDeL.
    Mar 8, 2004
  86. JoelC.
    Apr 12, 2004
    I thought this movie was great. It so saturated with style, and so original. I personally haven't seen a movie with this much gore, and after seeing it a second time I did almost throw up, literally, just because of all of the blood shooting out from everyone. Excellent! This is the first film that has ever made me feel sick because of violence. Incredible. I don't understand I thought this movie was great. It so saturated with style, and so original. I personally haven't seen a movie with this much gore, and after seeing it a second time I did almost throw up, literally, just because of all of the blood shooting out from everyone. Excellent! This is the first film that has ever made me feel sick because of violence. Incredible. I don't understand why it has such a low score from user reviews, I'm guessing these are older folks who were just so shocked and had to try and let everyone know "This movie is just awful, plain and simple." The people who liked it probably could care less, but one who doesn't like will try to warn everyone else. I showed my friends this flick and they felt the same way about it. When we went to the theater they were kind of like, "Eh, I suppose Ill go," but at the end they were shocked and never expected it to be so good. You have to understand the genius of this film. Are you a person that looks at a tree, and is happy or someone who just thinks, it's a tree? Expand
  87. StephenS.
    Apr 13, 2004
    It was a typical Tarantino flick that delivered on all fronts. Volume 2 looks to continue the fun, and thats what tarantino is about movie making at its most fun.
    Apr 13, 2004
    Excellent movie, I don't really see why people are complaining about the blood, gore and violence - it's reated R for a reason, if you can't handle it then don't see it. Can't wait for part 2.
  89. JimJ.
    Apr 15, 2004
    This movie is incredible. Wowzers. Can't wait for Vol. 2!
  90. Pat
    Apr 16, 2004
    I hate Pulp Fiction but liked this movie.
  91. MattJ.
    Apr 16, 2004
    To those who didn't enjoy this film for it's lack of "substance" and "meaning," all I have to say is two words...come ON!!! that's right: Come ON! COME ONNNN! It's all in good fun, guys! Don't take it so seriously.
  92. MikeK.
    Apr 17, 2004
    I don't care what people say that it's stupid it's the people who said that are dumb. QT is so cool and i like the music he picked in the movie even in his other movies pulp fiction and resavoir dogs are also good so this and the other movies are so cool. i just like seeing them.
  93. ShaunT.
    Apr 20, 2004
    Tarantino has done it again!
  94. JonathanH.
    Apr 2, 2004
    Wonderful style over substance, strangely brilliant in its own way, with a amazingly great performance from Uma Thurman, it lags in the middle just a bit but then picks back up.
  95. BenjaminB.
    Apr 20, 2004
    Tarantino has long made cinema pastiche his trademark, and here he expounds upon his artistry tenfold--this is not a story told to be a believable story, maybe the story isn't even the point--the art and execution (hehe) of this film is so top-notch that it's over the top...gives tingly pleasure to my brain. Yum.
  96. KatieB.
    Apr 22, 2004
    QT is a wonderful director. He proved it with Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, and he has simply outdone himself with KBV1. The best thing about watching this movie was thinking about how much fun they must have had making it. The worst part was that I had to wait 4 more months to see Volume 2!
  97. DaveC.
    Apr 24, 2004
    Excellent. A riveting story is complemented by some of the most mind-blowing action commited to celluloid and to top it all off, a kick ass soundtrack. The only criticism I could give is that Tarantino went a bit too far with his stylistic plagiarism which in RD and PF looked right at home. Here, it sticks out like like a saw thumb but it also keeps the film vibrant and exciting. Excellent. A riveting story is complemented by some of the most mind-blowing action commited to celluloid and to top it all off, a kick ass soundtrack. The only criticism I could give is that Tarantino went a bit too far with his stylistic plagiarism which in RD and PF looked right at home. Here, it sticks out like like a saw thumb but it also keeps the film vibrant and exciting. Tarantino still has yet to make a bad film. Expand
  98. AdrianW.
    May 26, 2004
    Genius. Absolute genius. It's actually NOT gory. And it's actually NOT that violent. It's beautiful, and stylish. The Bride vs. the Crazy 88's is a display verging on the poetic. And the critics from the San Francisco Chronicle, the Wall St. Journal and the New Yorker have made a fools of themselves. I can understand a critic having reservations and some objections, Genius. Absolute genius. It's actually NOT gory. And it's actually NOT that violent. It's beautiful, and stylish. The Bride vs. the Crazy 88's is a display verging on the poetic. And the critics from the San Francisco Chronicle, the Wall St. Journal and the New Yorker have made a fools of themselves. I can understand a critic having reservations and some objections, but anyone who has ever loved movies will see at least a love of film in ample evidence on that screen. Perhaps a condor raking their privates with its razor sharp talons would snap them out of their torpor. Expand
  99. LockneO.
    May 31, 2004
    Kill Bill, Volume 1 is a great example of a fantastic movie. Tarantino succeeds while directing the film in Tokyo, California, and Texas. Uma Thurman and Lucy Liu both play the parts of assassins beautifully. The directing is beautifully accepted. The suspense and drama of this story combine to make an invigorating work of art.
  100. WalterP.
    Jun 10, 2004
    Dam good movie, it is one of the best movies ever made. Good job Tarantino you've done it again.

1. Reviewed by: Jim Agnew
    A hyper-violent, hyper-gory, kung-fu grindhouse flick. And there’s nothing at all wrong with that.
  2. Is Kill Bill a homage to great Asian action movies? Yes. Is Tarantino trying to outdo his cherished masters (on a budget that dwarfs their films)? Of course. Is there any other point of any of this? Let's see "Vol. 2."
    An incomplete movie, artlessly cleft in the middle. Cinema interruptus.