Kill Bill: Vol. 1

8.0

1. MaxwellS.
    May 9, 2004
    Maybe I had too high of expectations, but the first half of this film let me down a bit. Still a great story with an amazing cliffhanger (although the movie should just be one long three hour experience). Not as good as the gold of Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and True Romance, but the Quentinescence is there.
  2. LavanyaJ
    Jun 9, 2005
    Bang bang he shot me down bang bang that awful sound the best campy movie ever! its a classic tarantino!
  3. KelvinL.
    Aug 29, 2005
    Stylish and exciting with a great soundtrack! I smell a rat, some reviews which gave this film 0 look remarkable similar! This gives me reason to suspect that they were penned from the same indivdual! For those complaining against the violence, just what were you expecting! The clue is in the title! Any film with "kill" in is not going to be Mary Poppins! As for those comments saying most Stylish and exciting with a great soundtrack! I smell a rat, some reviews which gave this film 0 look remarkable similar! This gives me reason to suspect that they were penned from the same indivdual! For those complaining against the violence, just what were you expecting! The clue is in the title! Any film with "kill" in is not going to be Mary Poppins! As for those comments saying most of the audience left halfway through the film with only 25% capacity, I guess it depends where you live, my cinema was packed to capacity and not one person left early! Expand
  4. Alcoholic
    Oct 11, 2003
    Tarantino has done it again!I didn't wait for this movie for nothing. Good mix of great dialogue, unrealism and realism. Go and see it!
  5. AnoldR.
    Jan 6, 2004
    One hell of a movie to come back with, excellent, kept me on the edge of my seat while laughing my arse off, can't wait untill volume 2 comes out in Feb.
  6. GalS.
    Jan 9, 2004
    i have the movie on DVD, and every time I watch it I wanna be in the movie (wtf?!)......it is good!!!!!! although this movie is very bloody its also bloody good!
  7. TheRoninS.
    Feb 4, 2004
    All these people whining about the violence...even squeamish critic Leonard Maltin understood it's overwhelmingly cartoonish nature.
  8. ChadH.
    May 10, 2004
    Best movie of the year for SURE! i cant wait for the second one.
  9. DillB.
    May 30, 2004
    This is one of the greatest movies of all time. Just the way that they set up the scenes and then execute all of the cool scenes. I am saying this from a director's point of view and this has to be one of the greatest movies of all time. I have already seen it about 200 times and it is still one of my favorite movies and it hasn't gotten old yet.
  10. Sean
    Jul 1, 2004
    Amazing. If you enjoy action at all, you will love this movie.
  11. marshallm
    Oct 20, 2005
    Hands down, one of my favorites, but kill bill vol. 2 is even better! and this one is hard to top.
  12. JoeyK.
    Aug 8, 2005
    I'm not a huge enthusiast of Tarantino or this movie, but I liked it and I'm shocked it got as low as a 69. I expected high 70's at the lowest to high 80's at the best. It's a good movie, with interesting style, and plenty to keep your attention. Tarantino screws with reality, it seems, but that's what movies are for, aren't they?
  13. JohnE
    Oct 9, 2006
    Absolute classic revenge movie, Tarantino gives the genre the respect it reserves. This was obviously a tribute to films that have inspired him, but still had Tarantino's signature touches.
  14. MichaelY.
    Apr 6, 2007
    The most exciting moviegoing experience I have ever had in the theater...I don't know whether that makes it a great movie, but it can't hurt. Tarantino pulls out all the stops, showing all of his skills, and gives the audience a helluva ride.
  15. EricC.
    Oct 11, 2003
    This movie is probably the closest I've seen any movie come to imitating a japanese anime. And for me, that's a very good thing. Kill Bill is just surrounded in so much style, it practically puts the film in a league of its own. The action scenes are the best I've seen since Matrix: Reloaded. This film is very bloody, but not like a Jason movie. It would be more accurate to This movie is probably the closest I've seen any movie come to imitating a japanese anime. And for me, that's a very good thing. Kill Bill is just surrounded in so much style, it practically puts the film in a league of its own. The action scenes are the best I've seen since Matrix: Reloaded. This film is very bloody, but not like a Jason movie. It would be more accurate to say the over-the-top blood content helps increase the feel of Kill Bill. The acting is top-notch, and without a doubt, Uma Thurman performs fantastically. I could've easily watched vol. 1 and 2 together for three hours straight. I never got bored of it. Expand
  16. MikeFlex
    Oct 11, 2003
    Kill Bill may not have been the greatest movie I've ever seen, but it is, wthout a doubt, one of the coolest. For the first time, Tarantino's direction takes the lead over his script and it pays off in the best movie of his career not named Pulp Fiction. Besides, all you needs a sense of humor and a love of Sonny Chiba.
  17. PaulM.
    Oct 10, 2003
    This movie is like a cinematic roller-coaster, and you ride a roller coaster for the thrill of pounding down a track at breakneck speeds and for the spray of adrenals...in that it succeeds majestically...to require this movie to do anything else is to shortchange it...Bravo Quentin...this baby rocks at 90 miles an hour...
  18. Uter
    Nov 20, 2003
    The plot is very simple, but the style and action are superb.
  19. NoelT.
    Oct 13, 2003
    Well you have to realize that we have only seen half of the movie. Can't judge Citizen Kane, or Casablanca if you only saw half of it. God forbid they have an intermission. Imagine what Akira Kurosawa's film Seven Samuri would be like if it was released today. Would they break it into 3 sections. Seven Samuri Vol. 1, 2 and 3? Or would distributor really want people to sit though Well you have to realize that we have only seen half of the movie. Can't judge Citizen Kane, or Casablanca if you only saw half of it. God forbid they have an intermission. Imagine what Akira Kurosawa's film Seven Samuri would be like if it was released today. Would they break it into 3 sections. Seven Samuri Vol. 1, 2 and 3? Or would distributor really want people to sit though a 4.5 hour long movie with a 15 min. intermission? My only complaint is I wish they would show what "the bride" was while a-mother-to-be and a-wife-to -be. So we can great an idea of how good her life was and how bad it got so quickly. If they did this more people would be cheering for black mambo. Who knows they might have some of that in the other half. Go see it now. Expand
  20. Ishii
    Oct 13, 2003
    Yes, my last name is Ishii - same as O-ren Ishii in the film. Anyhoo, this movie kicked ass. It's all about Uma Thurman going around ruining everyone's sh.t. 100% great entertainment.
  21. JoshuaW.
    Oct 14, 2003
    Forget Uma Thurman's quest for justice, Tarantino is back with his own vengeance in Kill Bill. Every year there's mabye 5-10 films that are worth while, and only about half of those are cinematic gems at that. Kill Bill is certainly one of those gems.
  22. JaredS.
    Oct 15, 2003
    Wow! This truly is a movie buffs wet dream! I wouldn't have seen this movie four times in three days if I didn't mean that, and I'm prime to see it again. Volume 2 now has a lot to live up to, but you know as well as I do, that Tarantino can pull it off. Bravo, QT! Continue your legendary career with whatever you'd like, because if this is the result, long live the king!
  23. Orpheusfix
    Oct 17, 2003
    If anything else, a celebration of pop culture. (One of the guys below gave the movie a 0 after walking out on it 30 minutes into the movie. That's kind of stupid ain't it? Why not see the entire movie and then rate it for what one thought it should deserve.)
  24. IntroducingTheHardlineAccordingToGilbertMulroneyca
    Oct 17, 2003
    Pure. There's a one word review for you: pure. Not morally pure, or spiritually pure, cinematically pure. Like 2001: A Space Oddysey, Kill Bill is not about things, it is things. At first glance, it's a little style-over-substanceish, but delve deeper and it's clear that it's ALL style, to the extent that the style IS the substance. It must be said, though, that this Pure. There's a one word review for you: pure. Not morally pure, or spiritually pure, cinematically pure. Like 2001: A Space Oddysey, Kill Bill is not about things, it is things. At first glance, it's a little style-over-substanceish, but delve deeper and it's clear that it's ALL style, to the extent that the style IS the substance. It must be said, though, that this makes for something of a cocktail in too small a glass, with so many tricks and stylistic doodahs going off at the same time. QT is palpably drunk on filmmaking - but it still works. Think of it as his 1941, only better. Besides, the director of 1941's gone on to do alright for himself. It's really difficult to recommend Kill Bill - critics in this country have savaged it, partly because they miss the point, but also because it's a very Marmite sort of film - so the best I can say is, if you like this sort of thing, this sort of thing you like. And even if you don't, it's brilliant, in its own slightly psychotic way. Expand
  25. John
    Oct 24, 2003
    Kill Bill is absolutely one of the best, if not the best movie out so far this year. The people giving it 0's obviously can't get over the violence factor to appreciate its unique style and all the great detail brought in from the movie genres that this movie is based on. Although gory, it's the kind of over-the-top gore and violence that begins to become desensitizing on Kill Bill is absolutely one of the best, if not the best movie out so far this year. The people giving it 0's obviously can't get over the violence factor to appreciate its unique style and all the great detail brought in from the movie genres that this movie is based on. Although gory, it's the kind of over-the-top gore and violence that begins to become desensitizing on purpose. If Tarantino had wanted, he could have made the gore 100 times more realistic. Instead he is poking fun and paying homage to those kung fu movies, and revenge flicks where all these elements (simple plot, fake gore, no character development) are done just by accident as a result of bad filmmaking. Here it is all done on purpose...some people understand that and can smile, and some people can't. On another note, I really appreciated Uma's performance in this, being someone who has never thought she was that pretty nor talented, but she really shines in this movie. Expand
  26. LuisC.
    Oct 28, 2003
    This and Lost in Translation are thest films of the year so far. Bring on ROTK!
  27. SeanC.
    Oct 9, 2003
    A really awesome, unbalanced, bloody, mean, funny, twisted, cliched, sexy, awkward, ice cold, boundary-pushing, ass-kicking action flick. Expect Jackie Brown and prepare for disappoinment. Expect kung fu and get your socks rocked off.
  28. ArtherS.
    Oct 9, 2003
    This movie is awesome. And I shoud know, cuz I'm really smart at judging these kind of things! It is awesome. What can I say!
  29. Radical
    Jan 16, 2004
    Its worth noting how strong people's reactions are to this film. One one hand, critics say they left feeling nothing and claim the film succeeds in being powerfully emotive; however, they are quick to exhibit extremely harsh reactions to the film. While the film celebrates violence on screen, it appears to be no greater than the violence of the critic's tongue. With that being Its worth noting how strong people's reactions are to this film. One one hand, critics say they left feeling nothing and claim the film succeeds in being powerfully emotive; however, they are quick to exhibit extremely harsh reactions to the film. While the film celebrates violence on screen, it appears to be no greater than the violence of the critic's tongue. With that being said, I feel that there is a trend of expectations developing in our critical eye that is damaging to what film represents: film does not need a social agenda -- by requiring it to satisfy your own personal belief systems, you are sacrificing your ability to objectively analyze and study the art. This is clearly a powerful film, with gorgeous imagery, fantastic pacing and tone, and possesses sufficient depth for contemplative and satisfying analysis. Tarentino is a powerful visionary, director auture of our day, and his work should be studied within his own context, not yours. Expand
  30. JosephM.
    Jan 8, 2004
    Don't take this movie too seriously and it is a pretty good time. I don't remember ever seeing this much blood in a movie since Charlton Heston turned the waters to blook in The Ten Commandments... This movie is an instant classic in the martial arts genre and I look forward to volume 2!

1. Reviewed by: Jim Agnew
    A hyper-violent, hyper-gory, kung-fu grindhouse flick. And there’s nothing at all wrong with that.
  2. Is Kill Bill a homage to great Asian action movies? Yes. Is Tarantino trying to outdo his cherished masters (on a budget that dwarfs their films)? Of course. Is there any other point of any of this? Let's see "Vol. 2."
    An incomplete movie, artlessly cleft in the middle. Cinema interruptus.