Miramax Films | Release Date: October 10, 2003
8.7
Universal acclaim based on 1027 Ratings
Watch Now
GavinCJul 27, 2009
Where there isn't poetry, there's action and where there isn't action, there's poetry.
BunifaJ.Nov 8, 2003
Well, It wuz OK. I watched it with my friend Sonya and we were laffin like mad man. Oh no snap snap. That Sigourney Weavahh aka: Miss Horney Jeebird, was terrabull in dis movie. I can't balieve dat they let herr in dis movie Oh no snap Well, It wuz OK. I watched it with my friend Sonya and we were laffin like mad man. Oh no snap snap. That Sigourney Weavahh aka: Miss Horney Jeebird, was terrabull in dis movie. I can't balieve dat they let herr in dis movie Oh no snap snap is what I thot when I seen her face on that TV screen. OH no . Expand
SandfE.Apr 24, 2004
Waaah! this movie is a great cinema masterpiece, even if the story is not deep enough. I would have given 10 if the movie could have been a little bit more developed. Other than that, all was great: The camera view, the music,etc... Anyway Waaah! this movie is a great cinema masterpiece, even if the story is not deep enough. I would have given 10 if the movie could have been a little bit more developed. Other than that, all was great: The camera view, the music,etc... Anyway i'm too lazy to write more:P Expand
JacobAug 1, 2015
At the end with action that never quite pays off and the film moving by at a brisk pace its hard not to feel a tad ripped off at the end. The shocking reveal at the end does raise interest in the sequel but at the end the film doesn’t’ feelAt the end with action that never quite pays off and the film moving by at a brisk pace its hard not to feel a tad ripped off at the end. The shocking reveal at the end does raise interest in the sequel but at the end the film doesn’t’ feel wholly complete or satisfying. With the lack of meat or excitement this feels more like a pilot/prologue/teaser for a far more exciting film. Hopefully the next film will pay off nicely. This film isn’t bad and is an interesting experiment for Tarintino but action isn’t his strength. A for effort but C+ for end product. Good idea but not great execution. Let’s see if he improves the second time. Expand
TokyochuchuMay 29, 2016
Kill Bill: Vol 1 is a lot of fun. It threw me the first time I watched it, because it was so different from Tarantino's previous films. But once I understood the tone and ideas it was going for, Kill Bill became a lot of fun. Good, stupid funKill Bill: Vol 1 is a lot of fun. It threw me the first time I watched it, because it was so different from Tarantino's previous films. But once I understood the tone and ideas it was going for, Kill Bill became a lot of fun. Good, stupid fun guaranteed! Expand
imthenoobOct 20, 2016
What I love the most about Tarantino is that each and everyone of his films is unique and well written. Kill Bill is just another gem added to his already stellar filmography. Well acted, Great action scenes and a very satisfying plot.What I love the most about Tarantino is that each and everyone of his films is unique and well written. Kill Bill is just another gem added to his already stellar filmography. Well acted, Great action scenes and a very satisfying plot. Couldn't ask for a better movie. Expand
beingryanjudeAug 27, 2014
Certainly no shortage of flair and panache, Volume 1 is a super-violent tale of betrayal and revenge. By no means Tarantino's finest work, but you'll be entertained.
csw12Mar 30, 2012
Maybe its just me but i find Kill Bill no big deal. performances are pretty good with some descent music but unlike Tarantino's Pulp Fiction the violence is why over the top and funny at the same time. That is not a great mix.
MrMallardApr 9, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is a bloody good time: lots of fake blood, sword fighting and limbs being cut off. The story is threadbare, but Volume 2 gives us the full story and compliments Volume 1, making it better if you ask me. Ms Thurman's acting was admittedly a bit wooden at times, but when she's good, she's good. That scream at the start, where she wakes up in the hospital? PURE GOLD.

And the MUSIC! Twisted Nerve was... well, to put it lightly, it was irritating. The rest of the music is absolutely amazing; i've saved most of it into a playlist on Youtube. One song in particular stands out: The Lonely Shepard. It sounds like a fusion between East and West, incorporating a flute in to begin with and bringing in guitars and trumpets... It's the most triumphant song I have ever heard. Look it up, NOW.

And the CAST! Uma Thurman brought her best, finally breaking into the lead spot after her part in another Tarantino affair Pulp Fiction. DAVID **** CARRADINE plays the titular Bill. Lucy Liu, who was the hottest thing in the world after the Charlie's Angels movie skyrocketed, plays this movie's "antagonist". Sonny Chiba is by far the most charming character in this film, playing portly little Hattori Hanzo. Michael Madsen is in Vol. 2! No-one brings a cast together like Quentin Tarantino, and I don't care who you are or what you smoke, but that's a fact you can't deny.

On its own, it's a marvelous little gore flick. Watching it again after Vol. 2 brings something completely new to it. You just can't lose, unless you're a Fundy looking for a Boogeyman. Give this movie a go, and if you don't like the blood and swearing, go pick up "Ultraviolet" instead.
schyguy96Dec 14, 2013
A wonderful film, by most metrics. Tarantino is an incredible filmmaker, but his prestige advanced beyond great screenwriting into great direction for this film. A stylized revenge flick is what it is, so to take it as more than that isA wonderful film, by most metrics. Tarantino is an incredible filmmaker, but his prestige advanced beyond great screenwriting into great direction for this film. A stylized revenge flick is what it is, so to take it as more than that is ludicrous, and for what it is it is nearly perfect. I do not believe Tarantino intended to create the greatest film of all time, I believe that he intended to create an entertaining movie that combines his favorite genres, and it works. The acting, the screenplay, the direction, and the countless homages to kung fu, spaghetti western, and exploitation movies make it a massively entertaining watch. Expand
SpangleMay 2, 2014
Nobody does stylish violence like Quentin Tarantino. Yes, the blood is very much over-the-top, but my God it is just so beautiful filmed I cannot even be bothered by it. Plus, it is absolutely hilarious the way in which some people die inNobody does stylish violence like Quentin Tarantino. Yes, the blood is very much over-the-top, but my God it is just so beautiful filmed I cannot even be bothered by it. Plus, it is absolutely hilarious the way in which some people die in this film. In addition, the battle sequences are 100% gorgeous. The choreography is amazing and thought out. In the lead role, Uma Thurman is perfectly cast and absolutely kills (heh) her role. On the negative side of things, the dialogue can become a tad cheesy at times and make you roll your eyes that they decided to go with that line. On top of that, the violence, while stylish, can be numbing and the death scenes repeat themselves (i.e. many characters die in the same exact way and you see a similar shot of their death). Finally, the weird anime sequence as we got a character's back story was a turn off for me. It just made the film feel disjointed and felt like a very weird turn that was not really necessary.

Overall, Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is a pretty good film. However, as it is simply half of the final product, it does feel unfinished, so you have to take the fact that it is intended to be the first half of the film into account, which is why I do like this one as much as I do. As a lead-in to the second film, it is very successful as I was left with a burning desire to watch part two almost immediately after finishing this one.
ReubenIsAGodAug 23, 2013
Its ok, very slow until the end where gets ballistic, kinda reminds me of anime that's kinda the whole reason i like the movie, ALSO GOT A REALLY WEIRD ASS CRAZY STORY 7/10
MonstrosityNov 8, 2012
8.0 for lots of people dying. The story isn't that bad either and it was kinda funny though the whole thing just came out funny for me. It's pretty entertaining to say the least.
Iky009Jan 6, 2014
Magnificamente montado e surpreendentemente maravilhoso. Kill Bill tem ação, histórias e ótimas doses exageradas de sangue.Magnificamente montado e surpreendentemente maravilhoso. Kill Bill tem ação, histórias e ótimas doses exageradas de sangue. Expand
joef123Nov 24, 2012
I purchased Kill Bill volumes one and two on bluray at black Friday. Today I watched the first Kill Bill and this is what I have too say. The kung fu/ action scenes were a 10 out of 10. The acting was 7 out of 10. And the directing andI purchased Kill Bill volumes one and two on bluray at black Friday. Today I watched the first Kill Bill and this is what I have too say. The kung fu/ action scenes were a 10 out of 10. The acting was 7 out of 10. And the directing and writing were a 9 out of 10. I enjoyed how sociopathic the movie was, and Thurmans performance. Overall I give this movie a 10 out of 10. Expand
Nesbitt10Dec 26, 2012
To the average moviegoer,"Kill Bill" comes across as a nuanced film that appears shallow litered with flamboyant violence. And yet nothing could be further from the truth. Remarkably unique blend of various genres drawing from an abundant ofTo the average moviegoer,"Kill Bill" comes across as a nuanced film that appears shallow litered with flamboyant violence. And yet nothing could be further from the truth. Remarkably unique blend of various genres drawing from an abundant of influences constructing something very much his own. A bride (Uma Thurman) awakes from a long coma no longer carrying the baby before hand. Only revenge motivates her now to hunt down the assassination team that betrayed her, and once a part of. Breathtaking fight scenes function the same as dance numbers would in a musical. Stunningly beautiful and completely innovative. Highly-stylized, magnificent musical score, dynamic performances all around. Expand
TheWalrus2000Mar 9, 2013
Kill Bill is a very silly written film, not to mention it has no reasoning for its sustained violence unlike most of Tarantino's films.
SplashMagikarpJun 26, 2013
For those unfamiliar to Tarantino's work this movie might be 'unrealistic'. Tarantino's films usually go for some kind of cartoon-ish funny-ish action style script which is nothing but the way he likes to direct. The user score and theFor those unfamiliar to Tarantino's work this movie might be 'unrealistic'. Tarantino's films usually go for some kind of cartoon-ish funny-ish action style script which is nothing but the way he likes to direct. The user score and the meta-score seem way too low. Although I must say vol. 2 is much better than vol. 1. Yet again I consider Kill Bill Vol 1 and Vol 2 as one and only masterpiece. Expand
shpreaJul 16, 2014
Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is not complicated. It's about a woman going on a revenge driven rampage. Honestly, that's all I ever needed in a movie.
This movie is so stylish and so fun to watch that you forget its lack of depth. I can honestly say that I was never once bored the whole time watching this movie.
Also, that ending fight scene was amazing.
This is just Tarantino being Tarantino. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
BrendanCogs99Mar 16, 2013
The problem with Kill Bill is that when the bloody deaths get old and the crappy story becomes a bore. The only thing that makes this film decent is the way that Tarantino creates a good old kung fu revenge film.
KPHooksApr 7, 2013
This film is a combination of everything I love: Japanese cultural aspects, swordplay, a revenge plot, philosophy, and above all else, wit. Definitely one of the greatest films I've ever seen.
Azid_AlexDeSmalApr 8, 2013
Quentin Tarantino, a formidable filmmaker in Hollywood, who has masterminded great pictures like RESERVOIR DOGS and PULP FICTION, is also hugely responsible for the greatness behind KILL BILL: VOLUME 1 (KB1). KILL BILL was at first beingQuentin Tarantino, a formidable filmmaker in Hollywood, who has masterminded great pictures like RESERVOIR DOGS and PULP FICTION, is also hugely responsible for the greatness behind KILL BILL: VOLUME 1 (KB1). KILL BILL was at first being scheduled for a single movie, but that single movie exceeds a running time of over four hours. The decision to separate the source into two parts was favourable KB1 was released in late 2003 while its sequel, KB2, was released in early 2004.

To me, KB1 is a cinematic masterpiece. Everything in the movie was being meticulously orchestrated, right from the start of the movie to the end of it. I would say the movie is just tight. You would wish to imagine a tight, ripped body of a person, that's KB1. Editing of this movie is just sharp and great writing too. An element which caught my attention is the camera work itself I would say they are highly artistic and imaginative. In one particular scene, Tarantino exploited a long impeccable tracking shot with no cuts, and it is brilliant.

Beyond the near-perfect cinematic experience which Tarantino has given us, Uma Thurman's performance deserved a praise too. She manipulated her character extremely well which I think it is being overlooked, her performance is decent. Her character in the film is boiling with sadness and anger and for example, in one scene, you could witness that pain or anger through Thurman's expression on her face that marks the work of a great actress.

As a whole, this movie is daringly beautiful. The plot is simple, but Tarantino's clever navigation for this movie is excellent. Could I say it? Kill Bill Vol 1 is bloody, darkly comical, and unforgettable.

[4.5/5]

Facebook (http://facebook.com/alex.desmall) Twitter (@Alex_DeSmall) (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/member/AlexDesmall)
levitt_jrAug 29, 2013
uma thurman powerful, khas tarantino sangat terasa dan beberapa komedi segar yang menambah serunya film ini, beberapa adegan pertarungannya sungguh unik, i like this movie
danceordieJun 11, 2013
when i saw this movie for first time i felt instant love. it's so strange, so crazy and well done. even when it's an action movie, it has feelings and such good actors. actually best movie ever.
NimbleReviewJun 18, 2013
Outrageous, bloody, wrenching, etc. Kill Bill has one of those stories that not only constantly gives you something to look forward to, but delivers whether it comes to the great action, epic showdowns, and more emotional moments. AnOutrageous, bloody, wrenching, etc. Kill Bill has one of those stories that not only constantly gives you something to look forward to, but delivers whether it comes to the great action, epic showdowns, and more emotional moments. An extremely entertaining film. Expand
EdgarcinemaJun 22, 2013
La venganza puede ser el arma mas mortal en el ser humano, misma que nos lleva a cometer cosas con la finalidad de satisfacerla. El largometraje nos muestra la venganza en primer termino y en segundo como se lleva a cabo.
Baños de sangre,
Baños de sangre, peleas mortales, y una historia que contar nos muestra el guion y los cuadros. Una dirección, que la hace diferenciar de las otras. Buena historia y rescatables actuaciones, aunque a su paso deja preguntas sin contestar auque aun falta ver volumen 2.
En si una pelicula para la historia.
TheApplegnomeJun 25, 2016
One of Tarantino’s finest. It’s one heck of a clever and ambitiously constructed film. The simple focus on basic film-and storytelling is humongous -- it’s so stylish! We follow this, from what it looks like in the beginning; an unknownOne of Tarantino’s finest. It’s one heck of a clever and ambitiously constructed film. The simple focus on basic film-and storytelling is humongous -- it’s so stylish! We follow this, from what it looks like in the beginning; an unknown character -- and it takes time to fully understand her. And that specific wait for understanding is rewarded the longer you wait. It’s a pure revenge story that’s full of twists, blood, action & originality in many different forms – all in a stylish and ambitious way. The film got a very great inside to the antagonist, & just the fact that the film is aware of the sometimes very forced moments – well that’s just hilarious! Sure it might not be a very dialog-driven film, and it does lack character depth & development. But ‘Kill Bill’ is still one of Tarantino’s finest.

Personal rating: 85/100
Critical rating: 80/100
FranzHcriticMay 31, 2016
I don't take this film seriously most of the time, which I think was Tarantino's purpose. Nevertheless, the allusions to this film are well done; western and martial arts can be a great combination, and Tarantino executes with a unique,I don't take this film seriously most of the time, which I think was Tarantino's purpose. Nevertheless, the allusions to this film are well done; western and martial arts can be a great combination, and Tarantino executes with a unique, Tarantino-esque style. The over-the-top aspect that covers the entire film is what makes it so fun to watch. It's Tarantino at his most fun. Expand
AGKJan 1, 2014
awesome movie with.... drum roll please! (drum roll) no love story! isn't it wonderful? and the action was probably the best that I've seen out of any movie. I want more of this stuff!
calhouniteJan 20, 2016
best nutcracker suite ever .. don't get the red stuff thobest nutcracker suite ever .. don't get the red stuff tho ......................................................................................................................................................................................................... Expand