7.4

1. Feb 23, 2012
    I like volume 2 more then volume 1 but it is my favourite film!
  2. Aug 27, 2010
    This movie rocks!! Tarantino brilliantly directs this tale of revenge, honor, blood, action, drama, and kung fu!! Its not for everyone, but I highly recommend it to fans of Tarantino and kung fu!!
  3. Dec 14, 2012
    What do u get when u fuse anime-esque characters with interesting yet ultimately mediocre fight scenes that have been done to death in decades of Chinese Wu-Shia films and mix it all with 70's martial arts music and artstyle all packaged in a sloppy plot that acts as merely an excuse for the over-the-top-to-the-point-of-comedic violence? You get Kill Bill Vol 1, the first part ofWhat do u get when u fuse anime-esque characters with interesting yet ultimately mediocre fight scenes that have been done to death in decades of Chinese Wu-Shia films and mix it all with 70's martial arts music and artstyle all packaged in a sloppy plot that acts as merely an excuse for the over-the-top-to-the-point-of-comedic violence? You get Kill Bill Vol 1, the first part of essentially an elaborate revenge, murderous rampage plan of the so-called ex-killer, 'The Bride' Kiddo. In many respects, the violence in some aspects overshoots its intended artistic form and becomes rather disturbing, even for a fully-grown 22 yo male like myself who indulges often in gory video games. Uma Thurman is brilliant and some visual cinematography is brilliant. The homage to Chinese Wu-Shia and Japanese Samurai films will provide nostalgia for many (like myself, who is 1/4 Japanese and 3/4 Chinese) while if you're not really into those types of films, you may be disappointed. Kill Bill Vol. 1 is very much just a violent showcase of bloodlust and dismembering fetish, where you will laugh, grimace, cringe and get high all at the same time. Its an experience, an unique one that's not for the faint-hearted. If you're expecting a crime/mafia revenge tale, this is not the film you're after. If you want to watch a single, Caucasian blondie cut her way through dozens of human beings all in great, bloodthirsty detail with the occasional backstory, this is that film. Kill Bill Vol. 1 is not a movie. Its a visual, bloodfest with chaotic martial arts sequences that at times, just dont feel fluid or flow as well as the the major martial arts blockbusters from China or Japan. Save this for those drunken nights where you have ran out of anime to watch (unlikely), manga to read (even more unlikely) or decent games to play (impossible). Collapse
  4. Sep 10, 2010
    Two thumbs up for this movie ! Professor Tarantino is a genius ! I first noticed Tarantino's name in Nirvana's album "In Utero"..I love Kurt Cobain also...they are both awesome in art !
  5. May 6, 2013
    Kill Bill is a film where director and writer Quentin Tarantino tries out various techniques, not to see if they work, but simply for his own enjoyment and to boast of his talent for detail, especially when so many of these techniques are used simultaneously, which has created an unforgettable opening of a two part tale.
    Uma Thurman stars as a bruised and beaten woman known simply as ‘The
    Uma Thurman stars as a bruised and beaten woman known simply as ‘The Bride’, who is betrayed on her wedding day by her colleagues, a group of dangerous individuals known as the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad, led by Bill (David Carradine).
    When they underestimate The Brides will to live, she eventually awakens from a coma and seeks revenge on those who wronged her, and as the opening quote on the screen suggests, “Revenge is a dish best served cold”, and this woman has nothing but cold and calculated on her mind.
    Tarantino has told the story in a non-linear fashion, using chapters to split up the story, and incorporating various flashbacks of how exactly the wedding scenario played out. But in regards to the bride, she sets off by making a list of those who portrayed her, and its clear from the beginning that this film was always going to be building to something bigger, does it take anything away from the film? Perhaps a little, it certainly stands on its own two feet, but the fact remains that we are introduced to these various characters but only get a handful of them. Saying that, however, the scenes with these particular members of the Deadly Viper group are fantastically gory, anime and exaggerated tone that only Tarantino is capable of pulling off with such gritty means.
    Uma Thurman’s ‘Bride’ is typically cold and in a particular mindset for the film, she delivers her kills with little mercy, perfectly portrayed by Thurman herself, who shows her willingness to throw herself into any role, a junkie in Pulp Fiction and now a deadly assassin.
    The final moments of the film, and the build up are quite remarkable. Tarantino utilises his devices including typical Japanese slashers and even Spagetti Westerns to culminate in a massively colourful fight scene, but the final confrontation between the Bride and O-Ren Ishii (Lucy Liu is a beautifully crafted scene, and a true powerhouse in filmmaking.
    For what it lacks in finalising a story, Kill Bill Vol. 1 certainly makes up for in its unique ability to combine visually striking scenes of blood splattered marvel, and Tarantino is truly at his best.
  6. Alcoholic
    Oct 11, 2003
    Tarantino has done it again!I didn't wait for this movie for nothing. Good mix of great dialogue, unrealism and realism. Go and see it!
  7. John
    Oct 24, 2003
    Kill Bill is absolutely one of the best, if not the best movie out so far this year. The people giving it 0's obviously can't get over the violence factor to appreciate its unique style and all the great detail brought in from the movie genres that this movie is based on. Although gory, it's the kind of over-the-top gore and violence that begins to become desensitizing on Kill Bill is absolutely one of the best, if not the best movie out so far this year. The people giving it 0's obviously can't get over the violence factor to appreciate its unique style and all the great detail brought in from the movie genres that this movie is based on. Although gory, it's the kind of over-the-top gore and violence that begins to become desensitizing on purpose. If Tarantino had wanted, he could have made the gore 100 times more realistic. Instead he is poking fun and paying homage to those kung fu movies, and revenge flicks where all these elements (simple plot, fake gore, no character development) are done just by accident as a result of bad filmmaking. Here it is all done on purpose...some people understand that and can smile, and some people can't. On another note, I really appreciated Uma's performance in this, being someone who has never thought she was that pretty nor talented, but she really shines in this movie. Expand
  8. Roman
    Mar 3, 2004
    To make a movie that does not have any type of plot and still succeeds the way this does shows that QT knows how to tell a story. Of course this movie is violent and if that is the only reason people dont like it, then they are too dumb for this anyways. This is QT's way of showing us the styles of movies that influenced him and most americans dont "get it". This movie is pure fun To make a movie that does not have any type of plot and still succeeds the way this does shows that QT knows how to tell a story. Of course this movie is violent and if that is the only reason people dont like it, then they are too dumb for this anyways. This is QT's way of showing us the styles of movies that influenced him and most americans dont "get it". This movie is pure fun and the young japanese girl steals every scene she is in. This movie is full of violence from beginning to end but it tells it in a way that is articulate and inventive. None of this just shoot the other guys like bad boys or some stupid crap like that. This is storytelling at its best and the anime in the middle proves that most people look at movies and most other things i might add with a narrow point of view and cannot expand their mindset. This was brought to you by a liberal college student with a 3.8 gpa. For the dumbasses who "dont get" this movie, ill take my groceries in plastic please. Expand
  9. DerekM.
    Apr 8, 2004
    The movie rides on pure cinematic flare. It's as if Tarantino is trying to prove that he can make a good movie out of a terrible script. Although I have to be honest. I had a lot of fun watching this film. Most action movies bore me to no end, but not Kill Bill. I sat mesmerized throughout. Overall this movie is just a mindless good time, that you don't have to be mindless to enjoy.
  10. PatC.
    Jun 1, 2004
    Does not have the comprehensive outlook of Pulp Fiction, but the victims are more plentiful and bleed much more profusely. Tarantino fans will quickly realize that he continues to be lucky to have Uma Thurman facilitating his quirky intensity. The plot is basically Thurman's character out to slay five selected persons who wronged her, but she is perfectly willing to dispatch a few Does not have the comprehensive outlook of Pulp Fiction, but the victims are more plentiful and bleed much more profusely. Tarantino fans will quickly realize that he continues to be lucky to have Uma Thurman facilitating his quirky intensity. The plot is basically Thurman's character out to slay five selected persons who wronged her, but she is perfectly willing to dispatch a few hundred of their associates on the fly. As such she does not lend herself well to complex character exposition. But if you buy into the state of affairs inferred upon comatose hospital patients in Texas, you don't care. It's a pathetic story riding a riveting presentation, and as a bonus it solves the age old dilemma of how your average American housewife should break off a knife fight when her daughter comes home from school. Bring on Part II. Expand
  11. JonathanK.
    Jul 14, 2005
    Its obvious most of the people who dont like this movie have a problem with the excessive blood and gore. Well for one you would have to be a moron not to know what you were watching before u went to see the movie. Anybody who saw the previews and truely knows QT work would have known it was going to be excessively violent and it was going to have some disturbing scenes (Resvoir dogs Its obvious most of the people who dont like this movie have a problem with the excessive blood and gore. Well for one you would have to be a moron not to know what you were watching before u went to see the movie. Anybody who saw the previews and truely knows QT work would have known it was going to be excessively violent and it was going to have some disturbing scenes (Resvoir dogs hello?) We saw 2 children watch there parents get murdered, news flash things like that happen everyday thats one of the reasons Kill Bill is a masterpiece and what makes QT so great, he manages to incorperate reality in with exaggerated and sometimes dreamlike non realistic scenes. Kill Bill is like a dream/nightmare with the excessive gore and unrealistic fighting mixed with scenes that are more or less realistic such as the fight with Green in Cali or the inclusion of the Yakuza clan in the story, his technique of not telling the story in chronological order is second to none. Its simply a masterpiece an ode to kung fu, Bruce Lee and anyone that gives it an 0 is a fool a prude or both. Expand
  12. Emmy
    Jul 21, 2005
    I actually couldn't stand Uma Thurman prior to this movie but my respect for her as an actress after seeing her work with Mr. Tarantino on this film has made me a fan of hers. As for the movie itself, I love it. I think the character of Budd best described the entire dilemma of the movie with the line, "that woman deserves her revenge, and we deserve to die...then again, so does I actually couldn't stand Uma Thurman prior to this movie but my respect for her as an actress after seeing her work with Mr. Tarantino on this film has made me a fan of hers. As for the movie itself, I love it. I think the character of Budd best described the entire dilemma of the movie with the line, "that woman deserves her revenge, and we deserve to die...then again, so does she". It's this great bad guy turned protagonist storyline and you find yourself rooting for this character who is actually not a very good person herself. Her redeeming quality is her desire for honest and respectable motherhood, but she is an assassin, or as Bill later puts it, a natural born killer, who enjoys killing people. As for those who said the said there is no humor, you can't tell me that thirteen hours in a truck (with the name "Buck" gave it) spent wiggling her toes to make her legs work didn't induce the smallest of smiles. C'mon now. And as for the "no plot" skeptics, are you kidding? The plotline is classic. Revenge, the most used action plot, and used as it may be, this was an entirely different spin on it. The culmination of kung fu fantasy fighting mixed with good old fashioned western justice makes this action flick a ten for me, and I normally hate gory movies. Expand
  13. VenkatR.
    Dec 25, 2006
    Amazing movie!! Best action movie ever. Quentin tarantino gives a blockbuster.
  14. JayF.
    Feb 19, 2006
    A truly beautiful and violent piece of filmwork from Quentin Tarantino.
  15. JaronR
    Sep 21, 2007
    My favourite movies of all time. Between the over-the-top violence, the brilliant score, and unique (yet firmly stereotypical) characters, you can't lose.
  16. PaulF.
    Nov 26, 2003
    A rating below 7 from people makes me wonder what people want in a movie, or if they even like movies. This one is gold.
  17. Aug 16, 2010
    One of those films that you either love or hate. I personally love it and all its stylistic changes, switching back and forth from a spaghetti western to a samurai revenge film in the matter of minutes. The violence is terrific and most of the time completely hilarious, and the storytelling is brilliant throughout.
  18. Sep 20, 2010
    The one reason that Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is much superb compared with Kill Bill: Vol. 2 is stylistic action with some Asian martial arts style, and entertaining battles.
  19. Nov 8, 2010
    This movie was great! It was funny and action packed! From a blood hungry bride to a Japanese schoolgirl who can wield a ball and chain it was a great movie. Very good storyline too I believe.
  20. Nov 17, 2010
    This and the sequel to this movie are still my favorite movies of ALL TIME. Loved everything about it. yes it's rather gory, but it almost doesn't seem that gory given that's it's given in such a cartoon-ish way, which i Love. I'm utterly amazed that the critics for this movie are so low, i can't get enough of the movie. GREAT fight scenes, and i love how they add little funny tidbitsThis and the sequel to this movie are still my favorite movies of ALL TIME. Loved everything about it. yes it's rather gory, but it almost doesn't seem that gory given that's it's given in such a cartoon-ish way, which i Love. I'm utterly amazed that the critics for this movie are so low, i can't get enough of the movie. GREAT fight scenes, and i love how they add little funny tidbits throughout that story, as well as add quirky sounds throughout the movie, it really keep my attention every single time i watch it. Thumbs WAY up!!! Expand
  21. Dec 4, 2010
    I think this is my favorite Tarantino film. I've seen so many review saying "it was so gory" and the "violence was cheap and fake looking." These comments always make me laugh. You don't get it. This is a homage to kung-fu flicks of the 60's and 70's; they WERE cheap and exaggerated. Most of all they were FUN! If you don't like kung-fu flicks then why on earth would you watch this movie?I think this is my favorite Tarantino film. I've seen so many review saying "it was so gory" and the "violence was cheap and fake looking." These comments always make me laugh. You don't get it. This is a homage to kung-fu flicks of the 60's and 70's; they WERE cheap and exaggerated. Most of all they were FUN! If you don't like kung-fu flicks then why on earth would you watch this movie? This is not a soul searching drama, this is KUNG-FU! Expand
  22. Dec 5, 2010
    My favourite movie ever. Tarantino has delivered a wonderful cult-style film with a fluent mixture of samurai and western style. The one thing I really noticed was how easily it was to sympathize with almost all of the charaters, especially The Bride and Bill
  23. Jun 11, 2012
    With Kill Bill, Quentin Tarantino continues to do what he does best - elevating supposedly "trashy" film genres to credible cinematic fare. Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is packed full of energy and style, with Tarantino's trademark extreme violence and eloquent, machine-gun dialogue. It also has a plethora of film references for cinephiles, mostly from Spaghetti Westerns, Hong Kong martial arts andWith Kill Bill, Quentin Tarantino continues to do what he does best - elevating supposedly "trashy" film genres to credible cinematic fare. Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is packed full of energy and style, with Tarantino's trademark extreme violence and eloquent, machine-gun dialogue. It also has a plethora of film references for cinephiles, mostly from Spaghetti Westerns, Hong Kong martial arts and Samurai films. Tarantino is not afraid to affectionately poke a little fun at the films he is paying homage to, but he never takes it to the extent of parody. Before this film, I'd have never in a million years pictured Uma Thurman as an action heroine, but thankfully Tarantino saw her potential in this role - she is great as the vengeful Bride. It is Lucy Liu and particularly Daryl Hannah who really steal the show performance-wise however, with Liu playing O-Ren Ishii, an honourable assassin-turned-mob leader, and Hannah playing Elle Driver, a considerably less honourable, and far more malicious former assassin. The action is superb, the fight scenes creative, well-choreographed and bloody, notably The Bride's brutal fight with Ishii's schoolgirl bodyguard Gogo (a particularly menacing Chiaki Kuriyama) and the following rather serene and beautiful duel with Ishii herself. Unfortunately, the sequence that links these two truly exceptional one-on-ones, involving The Bride hacking her way through wave after wave of henchmen, is more than a little overblown and excessive - the first dismembered limb and fountain of blood is shocking, but a long succession of the same gets a bit dull. My favourite scene of the whole film was an unexpected Japanese Anime segment that explores O-Ren Ishii's origins, and is an emotionally charged refreshing change of pace from the rest of the film. The first volume of Kill Bill is not only a fine example of a revenge movie that effectively adopts the stylistic conventions of numerous other genres, but it's a brilliant example of exciting film storytelling on its own terms to boot. The extent of Quentin Tarantino's film knowledge is still staggering, and he remains a true auteur gifted in all aspects of filmmaking, from cinematography and editing to screenwriting and selecting tracks for the film's eclectic and brilliant soundtrack. Other than a slightly monotonous grisly extended fight scene, I have incredibly little about Kill Bill Volume 1 to criticise - it's a brilliant, blood-splattered love-letter to the less artistically admired, but no less cinematically important filmmakers, and perfectly sets you up for the stunning conclusion to The Bride's quest for revenge in Vol. 2. Expand
  24. Jul 22, 2011
    Kill Bill isn't supposed to be believable. Kill Bill is: gory, ridiculous, It's pure, unfiltered Tarantino. Kill Bill is: Cool. Brilliant, timeless classic, which is exactly what to expect from Quentin. Vol 1 and 2 are one of those kind of movies that I have to watch every time I see it on cable. It just never gets old.
  25. Aug 8, 2011
    What?? I watched the best fight scene on my whole life this morning. I couldnt stop and watched vol2 too on the same day. It was total blood bath and i loved it. It would be an insult to to give this movie anything but 10 :)
  26. Sep 17, 2011
    whatever you have t say about quentin tarantino, you can't say he doesn't know how to make a good action scene. kill bill is all about the action. it is a roller coaster of action scenes that are worth watching 'till the last drop of blood. the gore was maybe a bit overdone, and if you don't like actio, than the rest won't please you either.
  27. Apr 21, 2013
    The most violent, most sexy and most pure brawler action movie I've seen. The story, like Pulp Fiction, is as minimal as possible; only existing to explain the motives behind all the violence. Uma Thurman looks stunning in this film, and the combat scenes are not only directed with style and perfection, but they're also quite comical at points. It's almost like a Jackie Chan cartoon onlyThe most violent, most sexy and most pure brawler action movie I've seen. The story, like Pulp Fiction, is as minimal as possible; only existing to explain the motives behind all the violence. Uma Thurman looks stunning in this film, and the combat scenes are not only directed with style and perfection, but they're also quite comical at points. It's almost like a Jackie Chan cartoon only with sharp-edged weapons and a lot of uncensored violence. In fact, the amount of blood and gore can seem a bit too much given the cartoony style of the film. But the scenes are top notch. Quentin Tarantino sure knows how to direct action scenes well. The only criticism I have is that there's no real story, so you're just watching a compilation of action scenes rather than a movie experience. Expand
  28. Oct 7, 2011
    Smart, funny, very well performed and directed, a reference in the non-asiatic ninja film history. Like always with Tarantino, all the characters are awesome, and you can do a spin-off with every one of them. Really.
  29. Apr 8, 2013
    Damn, if you where to watch vol 2 before this one (like i did) you would LOVE kill bill vol 1. I can see why people wouldn't like it, seeing how its mostly shooty shooty bangy bangy and very little plot in between (most of this plot is later found in vol 2). But hey, i love it. What can i say, it was one of the first Tarantino movies i ever watched and i love it.
  30. Nov 16, 2011
    I recently just watched both movies for the first time i have to by it self this movie is not much to talk about, but seeing vol.2 the movie was extremely better. Its hard to say whats Quentin Tarantino's best film but this ranks up there.
  31. Sep 9, 2012
    A unique blend of movie genres with a superb choice of music and a lot of small hints at some well known pictures make of Kill Bill Vol. 1 a must-watch position. Though I'm not a fan of some other Tarantino movies, I enjoyed this one thoroughly and recommend it to anyone.
  32. Mar 4, 2012
    Visually stunning and magnificently gory, KIll Bill Vol. 1 is one of Tarintino's best films in my opinion. After The Bride, Uma Thurman, was betrayed by her boss, Bill, she is slapped in to a coma and left to wonder what happened to her baby. With an interesting story to complement beautiful violence, Kill Bill Vol. 1 is a true masterpiece.
  33. Mar 16, 2012
    Kill Bill Vol. 1 is a masterpiece. Vengeance, justice and kung fu are combined to create an entertaining action film. Uma Thurman plays the main female character who slices her way through bad guys.
  34. Sep 3, 2014
    This is by far my favorite film. It's bloody, highly entertaining, and it is just a fun revenge flick to watch. It is very over-the-top, like most grindhouse films were, which makes it all the more entertaining. I highly recommend this.
  35. WowW
    Nov 14, 2007
    69 critic and 6.2 user average ratings??? Are people mad? Though I liked part 2 better, part 1 is way up there, and both DVDs are excellent transfers. Yes, it's graphic, but the violence isn't senseless, just like all of Tarantino's other films... why is Kill Bill treated so differently? Excellent acting, intricate screenplay, character develop and cinematography make it a 69 critic and 6.2 user average ratings??? Are people mad? Though I liked part 2 better, part 1 is way up there, and both DVDs are excellent transfers. Yes, it's graphic, but the violence isn't senseless, just like all of Tarantino's other films... why is Kill Bill treated so differently? Excellent acting, intricate screenplay, character develop and cinematography make it a must-have. Expand
  36. Oct 7, 2011
    Kill Bill Volume 1 is a gripping tale of betrayal and vengeance whose only real fault is that it isn't as detailed or captivating as Volume 2. Kill Bill tells the story of The Bride who was betrayed and left for dead in a church in El Paso by her once lover Bill and how when she awoke from a 4 year coma all she wanted was revenge. However that is not the only thing going for it as it isKill Bill Volume 1 is a gripping tale of betrayal and vengeance whose only real fault is that it isn't as detailed or captivating as Volume 2. Kill Bill tells the story of The Bride who was betrayed and left for dead in a church in El Paso by her once lover Bill and how when she awoke from a 4 year coma all she wanted was revenge. However that is not the only thing going for it as it is also a satire and a tribute to Kung Fu films in general. Of course Tarantino brings his own directorial flare to the film as well as his signature dialogue but the first volume plays more like a tribute than a film of its own where as the 2nd shines on its own merits and story. If anything it is the concentration on lesser characters like O-Ren Ishii that brings the film down because she is the weakest of the main group of characters (although Lucy Lui's acting is fantastic as always). This concentration seems like a mistake but in a way it does help set up the 2nd by showing how hard it was to take on only 2 of the 5 targets The Bride goes after. However the Hatori Hanzo section of the film does work especially well as it embraces Kung Fu and Samurai film conventions while also allowing for certain comedic elements and also fleshing out The Bride's excellent character before getting into the more action heavy second half of the film. Overall it is one of Tarantino's best works but is just overshadowed by Volume 2 which just does everything that Volume 1 does but does it better. Expand
  37. KyleH.
    Jun 5, 2007
    This was the first Quentin Tarantino movie I have ever seen and I could not stop watching. My eyes were glued to the screen. I was in awe and even the several times after that when I would watch this film everyday while waiting for Volume 2 to be released on DVD. It all just fits together so well with the promise of an excellent second half. This is a must see!
  38. NickD.
    Jun 17, 2005
    It's so sad we didn't get to reading the lowest scoring critic review. What would they have to say for themselves? If one cannot see through the "gory" (blood squirting in fountains, cartoony if you ask me) spots and see how incredibly stylish this movie is... Every single moment, every single chopped off arm is full of tension, action, and even humor! Incredible how he combines It's so sad we didn't get to reading the lowest scoring critic review. What would they have to say for themselves? If one cannot see through the "gory" (blood squirting in fountains, cartoony if you ask me) spots and see how incredibly stylish this movie is... Every single moment, every single chopped off arm is full of tension, action, and even humor! Incredible how he combines those key elements harmoniously, fused with great acting and strangely enough believable characters... It's the Bohemian Rhapsody of movies; something of everything, but never coming short. Why do some people see a 10 for a given opinion as if that person is a fanboy? This is one of the movies that's worth it. Expand
  39. BobJ.
    Mar 4, 2006
    Too unrealistic gory scenes. Like a cartoon.
  40. StaciG
    Nov 13, 2007
    The script read like Tarantino was having a conversation with himself. The violence was stylish, but no matter how you wrap it, crap is crap.
  41. Sep 21, 2011
    "Kill Bill: Vol 1" is a bloody mess filled with bizarre **** and unique garbage. Director Tarantino's presentation may have been cool or stunning, but it can't save the movie from its terrible plot with shallow depth. He should have made this into a **** anime, not a movie.
  42. LindaL.
    Nov 26, 2003
    Who let this dog out? What a piece of crap. I almost stepped in it running out of theater. Trailer trash.
  43. SamK.
    Nov 14, 2003
    Sucked big time.
  44. Mar 3, 2012
    I just gave this film the same score that I gave Kindergarten Cop, if that tells you anything.
  45. DamianP.
    Nov 5, 2003
    Violence doesn't bother me (thank you, Hollywood), so I'm not complaining about that. The story was run of the mill, but I'm well used to that. What was truly awful was having to sit in a cinema in Tokyo and listen to everyone laughing at the Westerners blurting out words that no one over here uses anymore, going on about their souls and the FIGHTING WITH SWORDS!!! The Violence doesn't bother me (thank you, Hollywood), so I'm not complaining about that. The story was run of the mill, but I'm well used to that. What was truly awful was having to sit in a cinema in Tokyo and listen to everyone laughing at the Westerners blurting out words that no one over here uses anymore, going on about their souls and the FIGHTING WITH SWORDS!!! The Japanese joke that it only happens in American movies, and this proves them right. And there isn't a word to describe the cringe-factor of listening to Uma mispronouncing 'Okinawa' time and time again. Expand
  46. Arleen
    Jan 4, 2004
    Simply awful with too much blood and gore. People were walking out of the theater in the middle of the film. That says it all.
  47. NateB.
    Apr 10, 2004
    Wow. I mean, really wow. I was so excited to see this movie, and I have no comment for it. I'm a huge fan of pulp fiction, but this...I can't even describe how awful it is.
  48. CarlosA.
    May 24, 2004
    Pitiful. Incredible how Tarantino steals our money !!
  49. LavanyaJ
    Jun 9, 2005
    Bang bang he shot me down bang bang that awful sound the best campy movie ever! its a classic tarantino!
  50. JonP.
    Jan 4, 2004
    I hated this movie so much... i think tarantino has been sitting around playing too much playstation and taking too much ..... I reckon everything good in the film he stole from the playstation classic Tenchu and everything bad in the film, which was te majority of it... was taken from his ass and the belief in his own hype... get it over it quinti... i know i have.
  51. HenryB.
    Feb 10, 2004
    Despised it. I walked out in the middle it was that bad. Quentin stay in retirement if your heart isn't in it? It's a pity because Quentin when he is on his A game is one of the best there is. He made no effort here. Awful.
  52. HarrisonO.
    Feb 25, 2004
    Kill Bill = Needless violence without a plot. Just awful.
  53. JosefH.
    Feb 20, 2004
    Very sad bloody effort by a once very talented man in Quentin T. Got me this time but now he must prove himself before I ever go see one of his films again. I'm sure his hard core fans will be there for the continuation of the same crap in Part II but for me it is the end of the line. If I hear one more rave about savagery and a spoof, I think I will become sick. Awful.
  54. Tanya
    Feb 2, 2004
    Kyle, let's see if I have this right? A terribly violent bloody spoof of a martial arts film WITHOUT a plot and you gave it a perfect ten to match Gone With The Wind? Enough said.
  55. SidneyF.
    Absolutely dreadful.
  56. StephenO.
    Mar 3, 2004
    Violence in any form is not entertainment. Quentin seems to have lost his touch instead making a bloody mess that attacks the senses. Hard to believe that the public could buy into this crap? Hated it from the beginnng to the part where it said "to be continued..." Well, it will be without me and countless others. Only hardcore diehard QT fans can buy into crap like this.
  57. ChadH.
    May 10, 2004
    Best movie of the year for SURE! i cant wait for the second one.
  58. GreyBeard
    Aug 1, 2004
    QT needs to decide whether he wants to be (just) an iconoclast, or a storyteller with something to say. Fight scenes are tedious (rather like the Matrix nonsense) and the story line is pretty limited, while the characters are just mannequins to be chopped up in an over-grizzily manner. It may be a masterpiece in terms of a variety of techniques and his knowledge of them, but they QT needs to decide whether he wants to be (just) an iconoclast, or a storyteller with something to say. Fight scenes are tedious (rather like the Matrix nonsense) and the story line is pretty limited, while the characters are just mannequins to be chopped up in an over-grizzily manner. It may be a masterpiece in terms of a variety of techniques and his knowledge of them, but they don't really need to be explored in the same place at the same time. I didn't pay for the film to be impressed by his knowledge, but to be entertained, amused, challenged to think, none of which apply. Back to my Pulp Fiction video... Expand
  59. IlzeS
    Jan 18, 2005
    Just awful! This movie really sucked! I don
  60. marshallm
    Oct 20, 2005
    Hands down, one of my favorites, but kill bill vol. 2 is even better! and this one is hard to top.
  61. LucasK
    Jan 4, 2006
    Wow.... sooo gory... and the blood is super exaggerated.... although the soundtrack was good... This is way overrated.
  62. JohnY.
    Oct 11, 2003
    Excessively violent, pointless, and boring ... we waited six years for this??
  63. RichardS.
    Nov 1, 2003
    Horrible violent flick about nothing. Has no redeeming values whatsoever.
  64. BarryB.
    Nov 30, 2003
    I wish I could give it a negative ten that is how poor this flick was. QT you should retire permanently. Just awful.
  65. Valk.
    Dec 2, 2003
    Blood, killing and violence do not make a good movie. This was terrible. I can't believe that people will pay to see the completion of this sh.t. Avoid at all costs. Tarentino should retire permanently if this is the best he has to offer.
  66. DavidS.
    Dec 2, 2003
    Hated all thirty minutes of it before I had enough. Tarentino needs about sixty years before he makes another film. One of the most violent movies I have ever seen. Awful.
  67. ThomasS.
    Oct 25, 2003
    I hated this violent movie. Tarantino is way overrated. Is this the best he could come up with? Just awful. Don't understand these rave reviews.
  68. BethC.
    Oct 31, 2003
    Starts out clever but winds up being freakin' stupid.
  69. JonP.
  70. DavidR.
    Jan 5, 2004
    I would like to kill the idiot who recommended I see this disaster. It was terrible and a waste of time. I walked out half way through.
  71. FreidaL.
    Jan 8, 2004
    This movie lacked soul. It was just terrible. I walked out half way through as did most of the sparse audience I saw this with. Quentin retire permanently if this is your best effort.
  72. WinstonF.
    Feb 1, 2004
    Kenshin perhaps you had a lobotomy to go along with your gelding. Bill was a vile disgusting disgrace of a movie that was only made for morons who worship at the feet of the retired QT. Get a life while you're waiting in line for Volumes II, III, IV & V. Better yet sign over your check book to QT.
  73. KatherineJ.
    Feb 21, 2004
    Totally inept and sadistic in its presentation. Done for one purpose and that is to refuel QT's bank account. He should stay retired.
  74. JohnR.
    Feb 26, 2004
    S. whatever you caught from John C. perhaps you should take something for it? There are no redeeming values at all in this blood and gore despicable excuse for a movie. S I hope that you can stop scratching.
  75. DavidG.
    Feb 3, 2004
    I won't give this movie the dignity of feeling strongly about it one way or the other, but suffice to say: you see one 6'5" blonde nurse assassin with a red cross on her white eye patch, you've seen them all. This flaccid, unimaginative, yawnfest is an attempt to pay homage to real action movies. Why it is flooded with pointless and incessant amputations is anyone's I won't give this movie the dignity of feeling strongly about it one way or the other, but suffice to say: you see one 6'5" blonde nurse assassin with a red cross on her white eye patch, you've seen them all. This flaccid, unimaginative, yawnfest is an attempt to pay homage to real action movies. Why it is flooded with pointless and incessant amputations is anyone's guess. I loved Kung Fu Sundays and I don't recall ever feeling so bored. I give it a 1 only because of Lucy Liu's close ups. Rowr. But even she, with all the beauty she has, could not make Kill Bill interesting. Bill should Kill himself. Expand
  76. SharonW.
    Feb 3, 2004
    Vile and disgusting without any redeeming qualities. Repulsive.
  77. TheresaL.
    Mar 2, 2004
    Hey Cameron take a deep breath and come up for air will you? Kill Bill is a horrible excuse for film making. I'm glad that you liked it but many of us hated it. Sorry, but I found nothing to like about this sorry ass film.
  78. DavidP.
    Mar 4, 2004
    "To make a movie that does not have a plot..." That says it all and you rated it a perfect ten? This movie is absolutely horrible with an over the top view on blood and gore. Just terrible.
  79. JonathanS.
    Apr 13, 2004
    It seems that most of the people who give this film a 10 are under the impression that those who did not like it failed to "get it." Wrong. I do get it - it is a postmodern pastiche of all the B action movies that QT loves so much, but with loads of extra blood and deliberately obvious self-importance. Unfortunately, while the fact that his favorite films are idiotic may be what amuses It seems that most of the people who give this film a 10 are under the impression that those who did not like it failed to "get it." Wrong. I do get it - it is a postmodern pastiche of all the B action movies that QT loves so much, but with loads of extra blood and deliberately obvious self-importance. Unfortunately, while the fact that his favorite films are idiotic may be what amuses him about them so, it is also that fact that makes a homage to them doubly idiotic. Assembling a list of your favorite film moments is not great filmmaking; it is simply listmaking. And lists are not stories. They do not make us feel. They do not teach us anything we do not already know (or at least that I have already seen many, many times before, done so much better (maybe I know this because I have a BA and a Masters in film, but I suspect not)). And so, in the end, I was not offended by this film, or grossed out, or angered, I was just bored. Come on, QT - you have so many loyal fans... Why not make some effort at making something interesting and new rather than insulting their intelligence with a thing like this? I give it a 3 only to honor the cinematographer and stunt coordinator. Expand
  80. JeffF.
    May 5, 2004
    Vile bloody garbage.
  81. TylerC.
    Jun 26, 2004
    This is a test as to how good a movie is. I knew that there is a sequel out there and there might be a third movie released too. If this movie were good than I would look forward to seeing the sequel. As it is, I have no interest in seeing the second movie or seeing the third. This is the worst Tarantino movie ever!! The animation part was completely boring and he rest of it was just This is a test as to how good a movie is. I knew that there is a sequel out there and there might be a third movie released too. If this movie were good than I would look forward to seeing the sequel. As it is, I have no interest in seeing the second movie or seeing the third. This is the worst Tarantino movie ever!! The animation part was completely boring and he rest of it was just sword swinging for an hour. Why did he make two sequels? Expand
  82. StanJ.
    Aug 7, 2004
    There is no plot. Here is the plot - Uma wants revenge, and she is involved in 4 fights. There is also a scene where she talks to a Chinese guy and he gives her a sword - that's the movie. The fights are boring - it is like looking out your window and watching kids play cops and robbers with tree branches [in the "movie" they use dummy swords]. It is predictable and formulaic. After There is no plot. Here is the plot - Uma wants revenge, and she is involved in 4 fights. There is also a scene where she talks to a Chinese guy and he gives her a sword - that's the movie. The fights are boring - it is like looking out your window and watching kids play cops and robbers with tree branches [in the "movie" they use dummy swords]. It is predictable and formulaic. After I finished watching it, I haven't spent any time thinking over any of it. If you want to watch it, then wait until they show it on network TV... Expand
  83. GustavW.
    Jan 15, 2005
    Absolutely gorgeous!
  84. SusanM.
    Feb 1, 2005
    Worst movie I ever saw. Did Tarantino sustain some sort of head injury or something? I couldn't even finish it, had to shut it off.
  85. JoeyBoy
    Mar 8, 2005
    The most classic action movie ever made.
  86. GaneshV.
    May 16, 2005
    Quentin Tarantino has done it again...he has finally revealed to the world how much b.s. he has up in his brain...i mean , can u carry a sword in the aircraft?...yes u can if u are uma thurman and u are a samurai...some good violent scenes but really unbelievable and exagerrated.........its good on a saturaday afternoon when u have nothing to do...with the same old monotonous direction Quentin Tarantino has done it again...he has finally revealed to the world how much b.s. he has up in his brain...i mean , can u carry a sword in the aircraft?...yes u can if u are uma thurman and u are a samurai...some good violent scenes but really unbelievable and exagerrated.........its good on a saturaday afternoon when u have nothing to do...with the same old monotonous direction style...gimme a break...totally over rated movie...i dont understand why quentin tarantion had to spend 8years to release this b.s...if ur really stressed out and want some sadistic fun just watch out for the gory fight scenes. Expand
  87. naosha
    Jun 8, 2005
    So good i watched i watched it 15 times in 10 days.
  88. AdamH.
    May 8, 2006
    This Movie Rocks!!
  89. NickR.
    Jan 5, 2006
    I don't get it either, but I love it. The sum is greater than the separate parts.
  90. Mick
    May 24, 2006
    Awful. A well Polished B-Movie does not a good Movie make. Style and no content! Took all that is bad about this genre of film and supersized it.
  91. pabloe
    Nov 9, 2007
    It
  92. DonS
    Mar 1, 2008
    I Absolutely Hated this movie. It's just an hour and an half of Uma killing a whole lot of people! This movie really sucks. I get angry every time I think about it. >:(
  93. MikeH
    Aug 29, 2009
    I literally found this movie boring... what the hell happened!?
  94. PaulaD.
    Dec 13, 2003
    Quite possibly one of the worst films ever made. Blood and violence without any plot. Tarantino is so overrated that it is frightening. If this is all he can do let him retire for good. Avoid.
  95. Thesaint
    Dec 11, 2003
    A piece of pseudo-stylistic garbage from the most overrated director in Hollywood. I love seeing the "rave" reviews of film critics without enough sack to say what everyone else is thinking - Tarantino sucks. Mindlessly violent, a one-dimensional stupid plot, and a film style shamelessly ripped off from 1970s Hong Kong martial arts movies. It's just a shame that he's inspiring a A piece of pseudo-stylistic garbage from the most overrated director in Hollywood. I love seeing the "rave" reviews of film critics without enough sack to say what everyone else is thinking - Tarantino sucks. Mindlessly violent, a one-dimensional stupid plot, and a film style shamelessly ripped off from 1970s Hong Kong martial arts movies. It's just a shame that he's inspiring a legion of wannabe film students. Save your 8 bucks. Expand
  96. Aug 23, 2010
    its a film built on nostalgia . if you grew up in the 70s or even just growing up seeing the 70's cheesy kung fu films and loved them . then you will most likely love kill bill. ive seen some lof theese growing up so i have a little bit of a like for theese films but not enough to really appriciate what terintino has done with this. its not a bad film its action packed , bloody as hell ,its a film built on nostalgia . if you grew up in the 70s or even just growing up seeing the 70's cheesy kung fu films and loved them . then you will most likely love kill bill. ive seen some lof theese growing up so i have a little bit of a like for theese films but not enough to really appriciate what terintino has done with this. its not a bad film its action packed , bloody as hell , and cheesy and i liked that in sin city but doesnt quite pull it off as interestingly as it did with sin city. its still a enjoyable film and i respect terintino for what he tried to do but like i said from the begining your nostalgia will really make or break how you like this film. Expand
  97. Jan 5, 2012
    It was ok. For an action film it was rather over the top, A little too over the top for my taste. Yet the plot was interesting but a little poorly executed, Which is suprising from Tarantino. I expected better.
  98. Mar 18, 2012
    Eh it was ok. Acting was average, Plot was some-what interesting but it never really developes, The action was a little too over the top for my taste and could have been better. It was ok though but I wouldnt watch it a second time.
  99. Mar 31, 2012
    Only few would dare to make a movie as insane as this, and Tarantino made it brilliant. A gripping revenge story that doesn't hold anything back. It was all over the place in style, direction, and musically which just made it completely original. Unexpectedly very funny and epic at the same time. One of the best!
  100. MaxwellS.
    May 9, 2004
    Maybe I had too high of expectations, but the first half of this film let me down a bit. Still a great story with an amazing cliffhanger (although the movie should just be one long three hour experience). Not as good as the gold of Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and True Romance, but the Quentinescence is there.

1. Reviewed by: Jim Agnew
    A hyper-violent, hyper-gory, kung-fu grindhouse flick. And there’s nothing at all wrong with that.
  2. Is Kill Bill a homage to great Asian action movies? Yes. Is Tarantino trying to outdo his cherished masters (on a budget that dwarfs their films)? Of course. Is there any other point of any of this? Let's see "Vol. 2."
    An incomplete movie, artlessly cleft in the middle. Cinema interruptus.