7.3

1. JoshK.
    Jan 2, 2006
    Simply amazing. One of the best, if not the best film this year.
  2. LouisM.
    Jan 6, 2006
    I am very critical on movies and they need to really blow me away before I start saying good things. To describe this movie in words just does not make sense. It is a visual feast to say the least. It is filled with emotion and honesty. The depiction of Kong's personality is endearing. The movie frightens, humours, saddens, but most of all, entertains beyond belief. 3 hours never I am very critical on movies and they need to really blow me away before I start saying good things. To describe this movie in words just does not make sense. It is a visual feast to say the least. It is filled with emotion and honesty. The depiction of Kong's personality is endearing. The movie frightens, humours, saddens, but most of all, entertains beyond belief. 3 hours never felt this short. A movie for people who will never grow up and who will never stop believing in incredible fantasy. Films like these are the reason I go to the movies. Expand
  3. AnthonyS.
    Dec 22, 2005
    One of the best blockbusters i have seen in recent memory. i mean sure its flawed, but i was never bored through out the 3 hours, which says something. now only jackson did a tighter edit, then we have a true action masterpiece!
  4. BillS.
    Dec 20, 2005
    Best movie ever made. Let me go down in history as being the fist to have said this. This is one of cinema's oldest stories and PeterJackson's retelling of it is virtually flawless. Seeing it on the big screen is an epic experience that even Lucas' recent Star Wars films could not rival.
  5. PinkRose
    Jan 11, 2006
    The best I saw last 2005, and I bet many envy this movie for its quality, I can read that.
  6. LuisC.
    Jan 10, 2006
    Funny, goood, Amazing!, very enjoyable to be a fantastic film, made me feel all kind of emotions.
  7. GamhaG.
    Jan 13, 2006
    The Incredible picture of the year 2005, I like it a lot.
  8. Criticexpert
    Jan 13, 2006
    After Brokeback Mountain this is the Best !, Magnificent, Colossal.
  9. VinceM.
    Jan 1, 2006
    In my opinion Peter Jackson is one of the best directors of our time, this movie is one of the best of the year, a little long but you couldn't tell his version of this story one and half hours
  10. ROSEOFEnsenada
    Jan 2, 2006
    Only one word... Excelent, poor of those who can not enjoy fantasy movies, only want see wars, please, change the world!, 10.
  11. StephanieD.
    Jan 20, 2006
    I loved this film, it was great. All the way through i didnt know what to expect and the effects were brill!!! i am definatly getting it on dvd when it comes out, this had something foe everyone and was one of the best films of the year, and the cast were great. Defiantly a must see, and i would see it again and again!!!
  12. EmW
    Jan 5, 2006
    I was really blown away by this!!! Just... WOW!!! I haven't seen a movie this entertaining for me except the Lord of the Rings movies! This film had some of the greatest special effects I have ever seen, and the acting between the two leads was fantastic! (I loved Jack Black aswell) But people. . .Boring?. .Too long?. . .You have got to be kidding me! Don't people enjoy movies I was really blown away by this!!! Just... WOW!!! I haven't seen a movie this entertaining for me except the Lord of the Rings movies! This film had some of the greatest special effects I have ever seen, and the acting between the two leads was fantastic! (I loved Jack Black aswell) But people. . .Boring?. .Too long?. . .You have got to be kidding me! Don't people enjoy movies these days! They were the quickest and most fun 3 hours I have ever spent at the cinema, yeah so what the first hour had no Kong, but it's called telling the story and if taking it back to that time in the 1930's (how it was in the original film) isn't respectful to the original and doesn't show dedication to the craft. . . then pigs fly. Unrealistic? COME ON!!! Was Lord of the Rings realistic??? Hmmm. . . then what about Harry Potter? The Chronicles of Narnia anyone? The Descent? Spiderman? Dont get me wrong, their all great films, though unrealistic, but who cares! It's called E.N.T.E.R.T.A.I.N.M.E.N.T and nothing has to make sense in films thats the beauty of films in gerneral and the freedom you get with making them. Why can't King Kong fight 3 T-Rex's?! This idea was used to convey the strength of Kong and the lengths he would go to in order to keep his beloved safe. It seems to me that these days people lack imagination! It's not meant to be very tangible! LOL! Hey, it's a good film if YOU enjoyed it. I even recommended it to one of my good friends and she LOVED it as much as me!! The relationship between King Kong and Ann was lovely and very romantic!!! (The Central Park scene especially!!) King was such a dreamboat of an ape!! You could definitley tell that she felt the same way and that no male would ever make such an impression on her as Kong has, she needs him and likewise. You knew that she would have chosen Kong if she had the choice, compared to Jack Driscoll. I wish guys would protect me like that (if ever i was in danger, etc!) But he wasn't just protective, he was also faithful to her! He searched for her when he escaped from the chains in New York And that sunset scene when he patted his chest like Ann did earlier with him, brought tears to my eyes. "Beautiful" says Ann, I could'nt of put it better myself. :) Expand
  13. Elliott
    Jan 7, 2006
    People who are commenting on the plausibility of King Kong are bafoons. This movie stays so true to the original story while also expanding on it and bringing it to life in the new millennium. This movie is outstanding, definitely the best big-budget film of the year. People who give something like this a zero must be working on a negative scale. King Kong is fantastic, simply stunning.
  14. FrancoH.
    Aug 2, 2006
    King Kong, bitches! Peter Jackson does it once again!
  15. EddieB.
    Dec 14, 2005
    King Kong is the best film I've seen all year. Amazing action sequences, a great story with heart, and brilliant special effects make this film a must-see for anyone. I hear the game's not too shabby either--might have to check that out!
  16. EricW.
    Simply wonderful.
  17. Drtim
    Dec 18, 2005
    Remarkable. Unspoken love, maternal reverie, empathic connectedness; the relationship between the Naomi Watts characterand the digital ape/Andy Serkis is the transcendent heart of this film. In tapping something deeply innate it tolls for us all.
  18. SteveE.
    Dec 18, 2005
    This movie is the best thing ever set to celluloid. Phenomenal and beautiful, this film is definitly the best film of the year. Anyone who doesn't like it has no soul.
  19. I'mSorryMsJackson
    Dec 21, 2005
    Thanks for watching my brilliant movie. What a lot of people don't know is how much work I put in, especially with my 'method' style of direction: I spent many months caged in an Auckland zoo, where I learned what it is to be a primate, and where I lost a lot of weight. When I had achieved a true monkey mentality, Universal shipped me under anaesthetic to the Kong sets, Thanks for watching my brilliant movie. What a lot of people don't know is how much work I put in, especially with my 'method' style of direction: I spent many months caged in an Auckland zoo, where I learned what it is to be a primate, and where I lost a lot of weight. When I had achieved a true monkey mentality, Universal shipped me under anaesthetic to the Kong sets, whereupon I was released under strict supervision. The actors were often unable to understand my various grunts, but I felt this created an exciting atmosphere on set, one where noone knew what they were doing. I also tended to throw the camera around when I got bored, but I think this adds to the film's dynamism. It is a shame that I accidentally urinated on the motion control rig, because it created a constant crane loop, sorry about this. Unfortunately the editing room was too small to contain my monkey vitality and we lost one editor cos I chewed on his nose and bashed on his ballsarea. This may have given the film an irregular tempo, but one I'm sure hairy animals will enjoy. On a personal note, I chose to keep the movie long to reproduce how I felt when I was caged in downtown Auckland. There were a few regrettable incidents, like when I threw Jack Black cos I mistook him for a log, but my only real regret is there hadn't been such a debilitating shortage of bananas when we wrote the script. Expand
  20. SchpilkyBluey
    Dec 21, 2005
    The best movie I have seen a long while.
  21. FatimaI.
    Dec 20, 2005
    The movie was the second best movie I ever saw. at the end the movie was so sad. everyone in my family saw it and they all said it was the best movie ever.
  22. AurelioS.
    Dec 23, 2005
    great film, una pasada.
  23. Jack
    Dec 26, 2005
    By the general public, this movie is extremely underrated. Peter Jackson does an AMAZING job of keeping to the original storyline as precisely as possible, but still making it his own. With amazing CGI, awsome performances by Naomi Watts and Jack Black, and a completely orignal and untampered storyline, this movies becomes larger than life. The orginal plot is based around King By the general public, this movie is extremely underrated. Peter Jackson does an AMAZING job of keeping to the original storyline as precisely as possible, but still making it his own. With amazing CGI, awsome performances by Naomi Watts and Jack Black, and a completely orignal and untampered storyline, this movies becomes larger than life. The orginal plot is based around King Kong's love for Naomi Watts character, and Peter Jackson does an amazing job at keeping that aparrent in his movie. All who dislike this movie are just pretentious pricks who dislike any movie that gets aclaim, or really is just plain blind. It's amazing, it certifies Peter Jackson as a genious auture. Expand
  24. Martin
    Dec 8, 2005
    Unbelievable!
  25. JonR.
    Dec 9, 2005
    Stunning. Jaw-dropping. Emotional. Adrenaline-rushed. Need I go on? Just go and see it. You'll be amazed.
  26. LoreenaT.
    Jan 11, 2006
    I just want to say, that this movie should win Oscars, precious!. Goooood.
  27. TylerD.
    Jan 10, 2006
    King Kong is one amazing achievement. Kong himself was animated beautifully, and the atmosphere of the movie is incredible. Highly reccomendable. This isn't the same at home. It needs to be seen in theaters.
  28. AndyT.
    Jan 10, 2006
    My favorite of 2005, Excelent direction of Art.
  29. IvancitoL.
    Jan 12, 2006
    This is the movie of the year 2005!, has everything and full of brightness, funny, scary and emotional.
  30. PavonG.
    Jan 13, 2006
    I already want to buy the DVD, is one of the best I have ever seen, and I have seen thousands.
  31. Chipytita
    Jan 16, 2006
    Wonderfull and Fantastic, thats why I like to go to the movies, to see this kind of movies.
  32. ChongKokH.
    Jan 1, 2006
    I think it's a very good movie if you can get what it tries to tell from the movie. I may not understand it completely or may have thought too much. But it's very touching. Imagine a lonely child trying to protect something he loved and died tragically when he try to give the best to his beloved.
  33. DouglasK
    Oct 18, 2006
    A Terrific film.
  34. Nuttybaby
    Jan 21, 2006
    One of my favorites af all time.
  35. Steph
    Jan 21, 2006
    I thought this film was great, all the effects were excellant and the cast was brill! I didnt know what to expect and was on the edge of my seat the whole time during the film. It has something for everyone and it is defiantly a must see!!! I would definatly get it on dvd when it comes out, one of the best films of the year!!!
  36. CurtisS.
    Jan 2, 2006
    This movie kicked ass and got to the point. this was the best movie that was based on the book ever. the director is the sh.t.
  37. Fred
    Jan 3, 2006
    One of the best movies of all time, in my honest opinion. The love between Kong and Ann is very well represented to the point that you feel it; heck, you SEE it. In fact, this is probably my favorite "romantic" movie ever because there's no cheesy dialogue that nobody in their right mind would ever say. This is real. There is no need for dialogue between Ann and Kong. Their love is One of the best movies of all time, in my honest opinion. The love between Kong and Ann is very well represented to the point that you feel it; heck, you SEE it. In fact, this is probably my favorite "romantic" movie ever because there's no cheesy dialogue that nobody in their right mind would ever say. This is real. There is no need for dialogue between Ann and Kong. Their love is shown in their emotion and their actions and that's far more believable than two characters saying, "Aw, I love you like the wind loves the..." blah, blah, blah. This is a love that anybody can relate to: well-spoken or not. It's true this film is long, but the long setup simple makes the ending that much more powerful. Would 'The Great Gatsby' be great if it were one page long? Some works of art need setup. King Kong certainly could have been made into a 90-minute Hollywood Special, but it wouldn't have had any emotional impact and it would have been the equivalent of Jurrasic Park: all the action, with none of the meaning. King Kong is a must-see for all. Expand
  38. AdamL
    Jan 4, 2006
    Great Movie, the length is necessary and the effects are amazing.
  39. John
    Jan 8, 2006
    This is an unbelievable movie on nearly every conceivable level. Furthermore, I am aghast at how many people have rated this a zero. Have the seen the original?!? Roger Ebert was right in saying that it is "like the flowering of all the possibilities in the original classic film." I want to see it again.
  40. KINKYC.
    Jan 8, 2006
    Well!, there are many comments here!, some hate movies and enter here to give a Zero!, and persons like me who love Fantasy movies, over all if it is done with all the love like Peter J. can put in this amazing project, one of the best for 2005.
  41. ChukC.
    Jan 8, 2006
    I agree with most o real critics no with those who would like to be a real one. Because no one movie deserves a 0 , well no one like this. This is simply an excelent picture, I give it more than 10.
  42. JohnR.
    Feb 12, 2006
    The most under appreciated movie of all time. though the movie overall was hailed in with alot of critical approval when it opened, the media like a double edge sword set out to squash this movie like an ant with such criticisms as length, slow start, Jack Black being miscast etc. Love it or hate it this is one movie everyone needs to see for themselves I have seen it ten times now and The most under appreciated movie of all time. though the movie overall was hailed in with alot of critical approval when it opened, the media like a double edge sword set out to squash this movie like an ant with such criticisms as length, slow start, Jack Black being miscast etc. Love it or hate it this is one movie everyone needs to see for themselves I have seen it ten times now and honestly can't wait for the dvd release. If I had to sum this movie up with one short sentence then that would be to say that this movie is simply beautiful an action adventure yarn with at its core a pure and gentle heart. Expand
  43. IsaiahR.
    Feb 12, 2006
    A must see for fans of the original 1933 version or movie fantasy lovers everywhere. Why on earth anyone would rate this movie a zero is beyond me. I have seen this movie 10 times with my Dad and each time I have seen this movie it just gets beter and better. Awesome special effects the best I have seen to date on film, and if anyone doubts this then just watch the vine scene again most A must see for fans of the original 1933 version or movie fantasy lovers everywhere. Why on earth anyone would rate this movie a zero is beyond me. I have seen this movie 10 times with my Dad and each time I have seen this movie it just gets beter and better. Awesome special effects the best I have seen to date on film, and if anyone doubts this then just watch the vine scene again most of the shots with Naomi are not the work of a stunt double but a CGI double this goes the same with all the scenes featuring New York, an amazing set peice built on an industrial lot in the Hutt Valley in New Zealand otherwise completely CGI and if you are still not convinced then watch the production diaries for yourself. Man who would have thought that a 25 foot CGI Gorilla named Kong could bring so many people to tears simply awesome in much the same way that a human bonds with a family pet, and as for Naomi Watts 10 out of 10 for her acting opposite Kong to convey such emotion, when for majority of the filming you would have had to imagine your 25 foot co star opposite you what a feat and she pulls it off beautifully. LONG... LONG hmmm you know after 10 times you would think that I would agree but HELL NO!!!!, a good story needs good characterizations to back it up and Mr Jackson does this perfectly though my only complaint would be the scene with Naomi and the old guy outside the closed theatre they once worked together at, a little over the top and a bit longer than it needed to be. Yet even this does not cause me to rethink my rating of this film as this is movie perfection at its best the finest movie I have seen to date... which leaves me to ponder how on earth Chronicles of Narnia could have ever made so much more at the box office than Kong when Kong is definately a far more entertaining movie from start to finish. If there is anything that leaves me with a foul stench in my mouth about this movie it would be how on earth this movie did not get an oscar nomination for best film, best actress, best director or best composer of a movie score, obvously there is no justice in the world. Expand
  44. RichardM.
    Feb 16, 2006
    i was beguiled into absorbed escapism by Jackson's entrancing enchanting fantasy romance i still drift into reflective journeys thru scenes and issues that seem so real and plot issues that urge me to resolve them to me, the paradox of extreme fantasy against absorbed escapism cis the mark of an outstanding movie with its deceptively obvious beginnings, this is surely the least i was beguiled into absorbed escapism by Jackson's entrancing enchanting fantasy romance i still drift into reflective journeys thru scenes and issues that seem so real and plot issues that urge me to resolve them to me, the paradox of extreme fantasy against absorbed escapism cis the mark of an outstanding movie with its deceptively obvious beginnings, this is surely the least appreciated film masterpiece of the decade to date. Expand
  45. BJN.
    Mar 28, 2006
    I was a nine year old at the movies again. One of the best movies I've seen all year. A great story, and technical wizardry with so much heart. So marvelous to see NYC decades ago. Just magical.
  46. JaredC.
    Apr 7, 2006
    This movie is stellar in every way. If they had an award for biggest "badass of the year" other than me, Kong would definitely win. Awesome Movie!
  47. jskim
    May 8, 2006
    This is a truly great movie...so simple, but so effective...it's not complicated - just a tragic story that holds you emotionally and visually from beginning to end. king kong proves that a movie doesn't have to be comlex to keep your attention. it is a perfect update of the original...it keeps everything that was good about the original and improves upon everything else. anyone This is a truly great movie...so simple, but so effective...it's not complicated - just a tragic story that holds you emotionally and visually from beginning to end. king kong proves that a movie doesn't have to be comlex to keep your attention. it is a perfect update of the original...it keeps everything that was good about the original and improves upon everything else. anyone who says the special effects are over-done is a moron...just because there are a lot of special effects doesn't mean they're over-done...if the effects are done right, you can have a lot without it being forced. this is a perfect example of how you use special effects to add to the movie rather than just cramming them in because you can...the emotions displayed by kong really grab you...any movie that makes you feel strongly for a computer generated gorilla is already a huge accomplishment... peter jackson is hands down the best director working right now...he can pull off a big special effects blockbuster without letting the effects overpower the story. thank you peter jackson for being such a skillfull director who hasn't forgotten that the most important part of a movie is its heart. Expand
  48. AustinM.
    Aug 9, 2007
    Kong's one the greatest movies ever, excellent special effects, I love every action scene in this movie. After those three hours, it felt like the movie was short, I know most people saw it's long, but I didn't, I wanted at least another half hour.
  49. Matty
    Dec 10, 2005
    One of the year's best: intense action, dramatic excellence, nostalgic bits, exceedingly well done....there is no more need for adjectives.
  50. JayB.
    Dec 14, 2005
    This isn't your great grand daddy's Kong! Jackson has swung at his lifelong dream project, and he has clearly hit the game winning grand slam in the bottom of the ninth inning of the 7th game of the World Series. Jackson keeps reinventing the cinema. That ape had more personality and emotion than half the fluffy Hollywood actors working today! A couple of things concerned me This isn't your great grand daddy's Kong! Jackson has swung at his lifelong dream project, and he has clearly hit the game winning grand slam in the bottom of the ninth inning of the 7th game of the World Series. Jackson keeps reinventing the cinema. That ape had more personality and emotion than half the fluffy Hollywood actors working today! A couple of things concerned me going in: (A) The 3 hour length, (B) Jack Black as the lead character, and (C) Did this classic REALLY need to be remade once again? Well, all I can say is (A) never has 3 hours moved so swiftly, (B) Jack Black can be successfully directed in a non-comedic role, and (C) not only did it need to be remade, but this is the movie that had everything that was missing in the original: namely, an ape with enough heart, emotion, and character to make grown people cry at his demise, and special effects so dazzling that you'd swear that reality was happening before your very eyes! Enough will be written in the weeks to come about its various shortcomings (and ALL film can be critiqued to death if you stop and think about it!) but what can't be ignored is that this is one helluva masterpiece in design, flow, and character study that will go down as one of the greatest achievements in cinema history. Run, do not walk, to see and revel in this magical fantasy by this genius filmmaker!!! Expand
  51. MyWhirledView
    Dec 14, 2005
    Best movie of the year... I wasn't sure how it would go, and fearing the worst... but I wasn't disappointed! Go see it today!
  52. JayJ.
    Dec 14, 2005
    The best movieyet in this this century.
  53. MatH.
    Dec 14, 2005
    Grand, glorious, and spectacular. Peter Jackson continues to take the American blockbuster to artistic heights it has never seen before.
  54. JeffT
    Dec 14, 2005
    I struggle to find faults, yet can find none. Bob p, you are not a paleontologist. I'm a history student, and I'm not freaking out about it.
  55. Dan
    Dec 15, 2005
    I'm very sorry, Matt C....Kong is only four tons, which is well within the carrying capacity of any ship half the size of that ship. And if this constitutes a major plot hole to you, then you must have an a mental age of between three to seven years. And if you want to see a movie with a suck-ass story, watch the Ring "Oooh a killer movie! Be afraid! Be very afraid!" But I digress I'm very sorry, Matt C....Kong is only four tons, which is well within the carrying capacity of any ship half the size of that ship. And if this constitutes a major plot hole to you, then you must have an a mental age of between three to seven years. And if you want to see a movie with a suck-ass story, watch the Ring "Oooh a killer movie! Be afraid! Be very afraid!" But I digress from my intellectual mauling of Matt C.'s flawed opinions and assumptions. The movie kicked ass people. See it ASAP. Signing off. Expand
  56. SeanK.
    Dec 15, 2005
    This was the most entertaining and heart stopping film I can remember seeing since Jurassic Park. It made me feel like a kid all over again. It made me laugh, jump out of my seat, squirm in fear, and even tear up. It's a great technical achievement as well as a great personal achievement for Jackson. In other words it confirms that Jackson is the best big budget filmmaker working This was the most entertaining and heart stopping film I can remember seeing since Jurassic Park. It made me feel like a kid all over again. It made me laugh, jump out of my seat, squirm in fear, and even tear up. It's a great technical achievement as well as a great personal achievement for Jackson. In other words it confirms that Jackson is the best big budget filmmaker working Hollywood. I cant wait to see what he does next. This is definitely one of the best films of the year. Expand
  57. JamieP.
    Dec 15, 2005
    Peter Jackson is a brilliant filmmaker. This film may drag a little in the beginning according to the MTV low attention span people but it also stakes an investment in the characters. And I'm all for "that's your opinion" and I could understand not thinking this film is brilliant but if you give this movie under 6 you are an idiot.
  58. Jay
    Dec 15, 2005
    Amazing movie, suspended belief is required for 99% of movies and it seems some reviewers here haven't quite grasped that concept yet. The first hour is long, but the rest of the movie is well worth the wait and long running time. Kong is amazing and the movie as a whole is inspiring and amazingly well done.
  59. ConradS.
    Dec 16, 2005
    Ignore all the criticism, Peter Jackson might just walk away with another couple of Oscars.
  60. DanielT.
    Dec 17, 2005
    Ignore the po-faces who use words like "excessive", "indulgent" and "clunky", do these people even like movies? King Kong is a spectacular mega-event movie that should not be missed on the big screen. With over three hours of thrills, action, comedy and compassion, it's the perfect antidote to the banality of modern cinema.
  61. JohnK.
    Dec 17, 2005
    Before rating this movie, I tried something that Metacritic voters usually don't try...I saw the movie. [Ed: Hey now...] It was great, honestly, and if you can't take the length, skip it; while you're at it, skip The Godfather and The Aviator and every other great movie that bulldozed past 2 hours. This is an action classic. The CGI was fantastic, the script was great Before rating this movie, I tried something that Metacritic voters usually don't try...I saw the movie. [Ed: Hey now...] It was great, honestly, and if you can't take the length, skip it; while you're at it, skip The Godfather and The Aviator and every other great movie that bulldozed past 2 hours. This is an action classic. The CGI was fantastic, the script was great (besides a few missteps early on). Bad reviewers, have fun being a niche and a trendster. Everyone thinks you're smart because you can't have a good time. Enjoy the self importance. We'll be over here on the rollercoaster. Expand
  62. Netrace
    Dec 19, 2005
    Great flick. I was riveted the entire time. I am able to do something called suspension of disbelief, so I didn't have the problem that most of the folks giving low ratings had. Thank you Mr. Jackson. And on a side note. I am not a racist, nor did I notice any racist undertones. I would have to agree with the other poster that mentioned something to the effect that if you can see Great flick. I was riveted the entire time. I am able to do something called suspension of disbelief, so I didn't have the problem that most of the folks giving low ratings had. Thank you Mr. Jackson. And on a side note. I am not a racist, nor did I notice any racist undertones. I would have to agree with the other poster that mentioned something to the effect that if you can see racism where it is not, then you are a racist. An ape is an ape. How often have you seen a white ape? Mr. Jackson could have changed it to a white ape and then made it King Abominable Snowman instead of King Kong. That would have made everything better right? You people crack me up. Expand
  63. WilliamT.
    Dec 23, 2005
    The new David Lean has arrived. What a movie... greatest love story since Dr Zhivago.
  64. JayF.
    Dec 24, 2005
    Peter Jackson pulls off yet another epic although this isn't a fantasy world with wizards and hobbits but with prehistoric creatures and a mysterious island. Jackson really does deliver his promise that he had always wanted to remake the original film ever since he was a kid and he did a great job with it. Naomi Watts handles the character very well. Adrien Brody turns the rugged Peter Jackson pulls off yet another epic although this isn't a fantasy world with wizards and hobbits but with prehistoric creatures and a mysterious island. Jackson really does deliver his promise that he had always wanted to remake the original film ever since he was a kid and he did a great job with it. Naomi Watts handles the character very well. Adrien Brody turns the rugged sailor Jack Driscoll and makes him into an unlikely hero, a simple playwrite. Jack Black is not a funnyman in this picture but a filmmaker gone rouge instead of an adventurer like in the original. The natives of Skull Island are not the natives from jungle movies of the 30s but something out of a modern day zombie film! Of course, what would the film be without its title character Kong. Kong is very ferocious on one side but on another he is a very emotional beast. Peter Jackson and WETA have breathed life back into one of the most influential monster films of all. Had there not been any King Kong to begin with we wouldn't had monsters like Godzilla or Jaws. So thank you Peter Jackson for remaking a classic monster film and remaking it right and lets hope other filmmakers will remember this movie when they have to remake another classic movie monster. Expand
  65. ElleR.
    Dec 24, 2005
    This is without a doubt the best film of the year. It is terrific, will have you on the edge of your seat, has a magnificent cast- naomi Watts, for example is in deserving of an oscar with her take on Ann darrow. It was just fabulous.
  66. JamesM.
    Dec 20, 2005
    To say that this film is a masterpiece is an understatement. King Kong has a sense of majesty and wonder that you will not experience for a very long time, so make sure you see it. Also, all of those people who are saying it is too long obviously have attention spans that are far too short. These are probably the same people that said Pulp Fiction had too much talking or The Godfather To say that this film is a masterpiece is an understatement. King Kong has a sense of majesty and wonder that you will not experience for a very long time, so make sure you see it. Also, all of those people who are saying it is too long obviously have attention spans that are far too short. These are probably the same people that said Pulp Fiction had too much talking or The Godfather didn't have enough action. Expand
  67. JonathanL.
    Dec 27, 2005
    I agree that there can be some editing, but for everyone who overly critizes Kong's length what particular scenes should be left out? Although flawed watching King Kong can be the greatest movie experience of all time. Even if the movie didn't have any storyline the visual and detailed 1930s New York street scenes are worth the admission ticket. Anyone who is bored by King Kong, I agree that there can be some editing, but for everyone who overly critizes Kong's length what particular scenes should be left out? Although flawed watching King Kong can be the greatest movie experience of all time. Even if the movie didn't have any storyline the visual and detailed 1930s New York street scenes are worth the admission ticket. Anyone who is bored by King Kong, and can't find anything to draw their attention too, probably shouldn't be wasting their time watching any movie. King Kong is the reason movies are made and Peter Jackson is the King of big budget movies Expand
  68. OLGUNS.
    Dec 28, 2005
    Wonder.
  69. Warmonger
    Dec 20, 2005
    A very impressive and totally enjoyable experience!!... if you are in any way a fan of the classic King Kong, then you will appreciate this version as well. It elaborates on so many aspects of the originall...Don't listen to the nay sayers who probably liked the original about as much as they liked this version!!! it's a great flim, destined to become another King Kong classic!
  70. GabrielD.
    Dec 30, 2005
    This movie was great!! I dont see how anyone could give it a zero!!
  71. KondaR.
    Jan 11, 2006
    This movie needs 10...It has action, mystery with adventure,emotinal turnout Though a sad ending my score is 10 For this epic.
  72. Alfa2005
    Jan 12, 2006
    O.k. stop of discussing!, what are u looking for into a movie theater?, quality of story and a visual travel?, this movie works!, good.
  73. DennisB.
    Jan 1, 2006
    what makes this movie great is also what most detractors are complaining about; it is a non-stop onslaught of adrenaline. there are, in fact, reports of people coming out of the theatres feeling physically exhausted, not bored or tired, EXHAUSTED. nobody who gives this movie a "5" or lower rating can even be taken seriously here, as anybody who knows anything about filmmaking can tell you what makes this movie great is also what most detractors are complaining about; it is a non-stop onslaught of adrenaline. there are, in fact, reports of people coming out of the theatres feeling physically exhausted, not bored or tired, EXHAUSTED. nobody who gives this movie a "5" or lower rating can even be taken seriously here, as anybody who knows anything about filmmaking can tell you that the special effects alone are revolutionary and deserving of respect. naomi watts is beautiful and engaging, showing incredible skill considering much of her scenes were shot against blue screen. jack black shows charming restraint in his subtle villainy, and adrien brody is an understated leading man who comes across as a real human, not cut from the typical action hero mold. simply stated: this is a great film that will be remembered as a classic in the vain of "raiders of the lost arc," "titanic," and the original "star wars" trilogy. the question potential viewers need to ask themselves is, "can i handle a marathon that feels more like a sprint?" Expand
  74. Movieeater
    Jan 13, 2006
    Hey, I dont believe to some people, why give less than 5 to this enormous and excelent movie, feel envy?, whatever, the best for me since trilogy Lord of the rings.
  75. RharoKongo
    Jan 13, 2006
    Big, great, excellent, wonderful, one of the wonders of 2005, but not the eight, maybe the second or one, yes for me is the ONE.
  76. GalanChis
    Jan 13, 2006
    Many comments here !, dont say more, just that this kong is the best Kong of all, and the movie is perfect cause it searched the excelence. That is more than notorius.
  77. DanielV.
    Jan 15, 2006
    Better than Star wars when the story looses and you can only remember the visual effects after see it, but this is not the case, is a Big monkey, a big budget yes, and a Big Picture.
  78. GeorgeG.
    Jan 16, 2006
    I think that king kong is a super film becuase of it's amount of thriling prats that is has in it.
  79. BelindaT.
    Jan 21, 2006
    Para mi el cine es diversion, y si está repleto de arte como esta pelicula, pues es genial, como para verla una y otra vez!, no es perfecta como no lo es ninguna cinta pero le doy mi máximo...10
  80. BiBIL.
    Jan 21, 2006
    Gladiator, Titanic, Lord of the rings, Cinderella man, The sixth sense and King kong are GREAT!.
  81. CharlesL.
    Jan 2, 2006
    This movie was simply amazing. All the people who give it 1s or 0s have no opinion at all, and are here by banned from voting again. You can't simply give a movie a 0 or 1 because it was too long, or YOU didn't like it. Its about what other people like, and that is great story telling, terrific acting, a great plot, and amazing special effects. Sure, some scenes felt a little This movie was simply amazing. All the people who give it 1s or 0s have no opinion at all, and are here by banned from voting again. You can't simply give a movie a 0 or 1 because it was too long, or YOU didn't like it. Its about what other people like, and that is great story telling, terrific acting, a great plot, and amazing special effects. Sure, some scenes felt a little cheesy, but those were followed up by scenes of magnificent perfection, scenes that star wars or lord of the rings could never show, scenes of love, with out words. Ann didn't say she loved kong, but you could feel it, and a movie that lets you feel emotion is perfection. Expand
  82. GerronK
    Jan 26, 2006
    Excellent!
  83. MarkB.
    Jan 3, 2006
    If I really wanted to dig deep to find a complaint, I suppose I could point out that Peter Jackson's depiction of Skull Island as the ultimate untamed frontier--replete with dinosaurs that cause more damage bumping into each other than attacking you, bugs the size of kitchen toasters, and not a single smooth-surfaced rock in sight--inadvertently reinforces the Cheneyesque view that If I really wanted to dig deep to find a complaint, I suppose I could point out that Peter Jackson's depiction of Skull Island as the ultimate untamed frontier--replete with dinosaurs that cause more damage bumping into each other than attacking you, bugs the size of kitchen toasters, and not a single smooth-surfaced rock in sight--inadvertently reinforces the Cheneyesque view that ALL of nature needs to be controlled, dominated and bulldozed. But that argument is strictly academic (not to say facetious); Jackson, whose Lord of the Rings films I've admired at arm's length without actually loving, has made a grand entertainment that's deeply respectful to Merian Cooper's and Ernest Schoedsack's 1933 classic when necessary, improves on it when even more necessary, and is among the speediest three hours I've ever spent in or outside a theater. First up for praise is the picture's truly spectacular production design, which elevates computer work to an uncharted level; not only is the aforementioned Skull Island the ultimate outdoor charnel house waiting to happen, but even more astonishing is Jackson's depiction of both economic ends of Depression-era New York. (I've seen hundreds of early 1930s films and other depictions of the time, and was floored by how accurately Jackson got every detail--right down to the style of poster lettering at the burlesque house where Ann Darrow considers working.) The technical excellence wouldn't register nearly as sharply without the human element, and the central performances wonderfully flesh out what were strictly one-dimensional characterizations in the original: Andy Serkis makes the big ape more recognizably human than most human actors playing human beings made them this year; Adrien Brody satisfyingly portrays the best kind of movie hero--an unexpected one; and Jack Black so amusingly and pungently conveys the carny-act sleaziness of filmmaker Carl Denham that it may disappoint some viewers that his character doesn't get more of a comeuppance than he does. The real breakthrough, however, is Naomi Watts: she's previously been impressive in everything she's done (Mulholland Drive, 21 Grams, I Heart Huckabees) but responding largely to greenscreen and Serkis, truly becomes a great actress here, transforming a role that was previously trademarked by Fay Wray's wall-to-wall screaming into a stunning portrait of childlike wonder and adult compassion; only Amy Adams in Junebug is Watts' recent equal in depicting a genuinely good person without making her unbelievable or saccharine. (Time magazine film critic Richard Schickel's cranky assertion that Watts' Ann Darrow has the hots for Kong has got to be the most ridiculous statement that Schickel has made in a mostly honorable 50-year career, but then the gleeful schaudenfraude exhibited by some of the press over the fact that Kong will end up doing healthy Batman Begins business, rather than unprecedented Titanic box office is equally childish and disgraceful.) Watts' characterization of Ann, and its conception on the script level, mark the point where Jackson's Kong transcends Cooper's and Schoedsack's; not only does it make infinitely more dramatic sense for Ann to NOT want anything to do with Kong's exploitation and degradation, but her complex, multifaceted tenderness towards him far surpasses Fay Wray's bling, one-note terror, which for me was the most annoying and frustrating aspect of the original; Watts transforms this Kong into a far more emotionally resonant and heartwrenching experience. Everyone laughed when the 1976 Dino DeLaurentiis-produced remake (a misguided effort marked by badly-conceived social commentary, newcomer Jessica Lange's amusing spin on the heroine, and lots of footage of a guy in an ape suit) touted itself as the "most original" film of its time; what's really amazing nearly 30 years later is that in a movie year that seemingly featured more movie remakes than ever (mostly unnecessary or worse), Jackson, in brilliantly and beautifully reimagining what for many movie fans is inviolable, has made a film that's truly deserving of that claim. Expand
  84. BB3R
    Jan 4, 2006
    Many people hate this movie, thats because they dont know how to enjoy fantasy or... dont have any idea about quality of movies, just relax men and enjoy the picture, one of the best this year. AMAZING !!.
  85. YoliKnight
    Jan 7, 2006
    I went to see this movie recently and now I love it. Excellent!.
  86. LuxyPichus
    Jan 7, 2006
    Hey only one word!, GREAT!. Dont go see it if u dont enjoy fantasy. Because this is big!!! BIG.
  87. DavidM
    Oct 7, 2006
    My jaw still remains open, my eyes still wet with tears. You can choose to take it literally, or symbolic, either way...magnificent.
  88. Chapix
    Jan 8, 2006
    No words for this fantastic movie, because then I can not stop... all here is Geat!. Excelent !.
  89. TomD.
    Jan 9, 2006
    Absolutely worh your money. Yes, slightly overlong, but you might as well complain that Tchaikovsky used string instruments too often. If you're looking for a film that is a quick and punishing monster flick, you're better off reviewing the original. If, instead, you want to see great performances, stunning visual effects and a polished story and plot that leave you feeling Absolutely worh your money. Yes, slightly overlong, but you might as well complain that Tchaikovsky used string instruments too often. If you're looking for a film that is a quick and punishing monster flick, you're better off reviewing the original. If, instead, you want to see great performances, stunning visual effects and a polished story and plot that leave you feeling satisfied but still wanting more, then this would be your film. I hope it makes a shitload of money - when held up against the lesser and weaker Narnia film, it certainly deserves to. Expand
  90. Bombito
    Jan 9, 2006
    Very, very Goooooooooood movie!, just for poeple who seriously loves Cimena.
  91. Monserratthenice
    Jan 9, 2006
    Please!. Dont hate this movie for being so good!, dont be afraid !, it wont win best picture at Oscars, but some yes!!, maybe 4 for technical, but for me its the best of the year!.
  92. MarkosT.
    Jan 9, 2006
    Few words... Great and Fantastic !
  93. SaboCatchKong
    Jan 9, 2006
    Critics and me are agree, this movie is one of the best of 2005, the ride is unforgettable in the Skull island, kong ( andy serkis ), excelent again like Gollum in LOTR, Naomi good enough in her role ! , Excelent movie, only recommended for real movie lovers.
  94. AdalR.
    Jan 9, 2006
    Hey!, que traen tantos amargados!, una pelicula como esta no merece menos de 6, es buenisisma mejor que la original en todos sus aspectos, presume de buena hasta en el guión, aunque con ciertas y aparentes fallas, resultan innecesarias mas explicaciones obvias ?. Le quedó de lujo al Director Peter. OK, aunque algunos envidiosos ya le temen, excelente pelicula, muy Hey!, que traen tantos amargados!, una pelicula como esta no merece menos de 6, es buenisisma mejor que la original en todos sus aspectos, presume de buena hasta en el guión, aunque con ciertas y aparentes fallas, resultan innecesarias mas explicaciones obvias ?. Le quedó de lujo al Director Peter. OK, aunque algunos envidiosos ya le temen, excelente pelicula, muy recomendable amigos. Expand
  95. SlyK.
    Jan 9, 2006
    Stunning and Spectacular ! is the movie. Fool of criteria those who hate it. Poor of them , is only fantasy and a big ape !, Dont be so serious , just relax and anjoy an amazing world of creativity that this incredible director Jackson is able to do for everyone. Got it ?. The movie is simply brilliant and made with intelligence.
  96. Sam
    Feb 21, 2006
    For all the people bickering about Adrian Brody being miscast, think about this. What is Jack Driscoll's job? Is it finding mummies, saving the world, destroying our enemies? No, it's simply being a script writer, and he's perfect as that. Now for the rest of the movie, in one short sentence, there are movies, and then there is the epic that is King Kong.
  97. JoziC.
    Mar 31, 2006
    One of the best movies from Jackson. I liked the dinosaurs fighting King Kong. [***SPOILERS***] I like how Kong discarded the girls who were not Anne. I especially enjoyed the ending - I cried.
  98. Andrew
    Apr 1, 2006
    Was it not Oscar Wilde that said "talent borrows, genius steals". This film is pure genius, but the humour is the defining edge. Pure tongue in cheek!
  99. DWP102589
    Apr 1, 2006
    Peter Jackson is quite the perfectionist wit his movies, and King Kong is no exception to this.
  100. ChristineT.
    May 22, 2006
    Awesome movie! I love the love story coz it felt deep. Also, I'm a romantic at heart.

1. Reviewed by: Devin Gordon
    A surprisingly tender, even heartbreaking, film. Like the original, it's a tragic tale of beauty and the beast.
  2. What a movie! This is how the medium seduced us originally.
  3. One of the wonders of the holiday season.