Knocked Up

6.7

1. Feb 1, 2015
    Knocked Up is an honest, well-made Apatow comedy that actually has real meaning. The writing is spectacular, and many of the scenes are laugh-til-your-side-hurts funny. Besides this, the movie features Seth Rogen's first feature film role, and he delivers. Katherine Heigl, on the other hand, can't act for her life.

Overall, the movie is a success, and a great one for group watching.

Overall, the movie is a success, and a great one for group watching. This is the best Apatow production as of yet.
  2. Aug 22, 2015
    Pretty funny and certainly endearing, it's no wonder why "Knocked Up" marked the resurgence in the careers of Seth Rogen and the rest of the Judd Apatow crew.
  3. Apr 2, 2012
    The movie was decent, but definitly a step down from the previous film The 40 year old Virgin. A little too long, sappy, and sentimental at times. But its was enjoyable to watch.
  4. Mar 11, 2014
    judd apatow is like a guy knows your problems and tries to make a movie about life and makes it funny . but it takes to long . leslie mann was better in this is 40 then this one
  5. Jul 21, 2013
    A hilarious film packed full of great supporting characters that add so much flavor to this sincere story. Raunchy and sweet have never mixed so well together.
  6. Nov 23, 2014
    Seth Rogen shows he's the real deal with this movie. Judd Apatow releases another great film. He is easily the best comedy director around at this point in time. Its a simple story but its so effective. Its full of laughs and I think I need to watch it again, its been awhile.
  7. Sep 1, 2014
    The story of this Judd Apatow's movie is simple.A girl who wants to do a career on tv meet a guy without a job and they do a one night stand.But the guy makes her pregnant and they are stuck with each others.There are a lot of laughs and the movie is not disappointing because the actors are really good except for Katherine Heigl.
  8. Sep 7, 2014
    With a script that occasionally falls flat with its jokes much less than it doesn't, "Knocked Up" is an ably acted film with enough wit and entertainment to satisfy.
  9. Nov 22, 2011
    I think the long run time takes away from the overall value but the film is actually rather good. I think the entire cast gave a solid perfomance. It wasnt as realistic as it could have been either. Still featured quite a few hilarious moments and was well worth the watch.
  10. Jun 11, 2014
    Many people will complaint that Apatow movies are just about sex obssesive, marijuana obssesive losers, but this film is very funny and has a nice way to mix romance, comedy and a little bit of drama. Seth Rogen and Katherine Heigl have great chemistry. It's also a nice and funny take on unplanned pregnancies
  11. Jan 6, 2011
    An immensely absurd and psychedelic gander into the long-term consequences of poor, irrational decision-making. "Knocked-Up" meshes as its plot takes on the real-world pandemic of unwanted pregnancies and the painstaking path of staying loyal to your partner and child despite the stigmas linked to the causes of one's attempt for seemingly harmless fun. Mission accomplished!
  12. Jul 11, 2011
    Judd Apatow is creating a dynasty for comedy. This is easily one of the funniest movies to come out in the past ten years, only rivaled by Apatow's other films or productions. 2007 was a great year for going to the movies. It was also a great year for comedies.
  13. Sep 24, 2010
    I thank this movie, not only for giving Katherine Heigl, Seth Rogen, Paul Rudd, & Leslie Mann their movie start, I thank this movie for being ridicuolously funnt and clever. One of the funniest movies of the decade.
  14. Jul 28, 2014
    Nefis Film. Komedi Drama ve Romantizm herşey var. Tempo düşmüyor kurgu başarılı espriler yerli yerinde hoşça iki saat geçirmek için ideal..
  15. Sep 11, 2010
    This is Seth Rogen's/ Katherine Heigl's best movie ever. The storyline of an accidental pregnancy, and combined with the humor of the century, makes the perfect movie for people of a certain humor. I love Judd Apatow, because of his humorous mind, and his perfect choice of actors to play in his movies, such as Paul Rudd, Jason Segel, Martin Starr, Jonah Hill, and others.
  16. Nov 1, 2013
    As a rule, I don't like movies with half-witted, lecherous jokes. but... In case of it, we have an exception :D Warm and jolly movie, with deeper meaning. Adorable Heigl.
  17. JayK
    Jun 4, 2007
    Extremely clever, genuine, and enjoyable movie. Very fulfilling. Similar in feel, quality, and style to 40-Year-Old-Virgin. It was also fun to see some of my "Freaks and Geeks" homeboys. I agree that the relationship between the main characters was a bit forced, but I didn't realize it at the time; I just loved every minute.
  18. Wei
    Jun 15, 2007
    This is probably going to be on one of those "Top 3 Comedies of 2007" lists anytime now. It's a brilliant movie and the characters are developed so well that even the absurd moments seem everyday logical. It's hilarious and dragged only a minute bit but eventually dragged itself back up from not very far down and headed right back into hilarity. And the language thing will be a This is probably going to be on one of those "Top 3 Comedies of 2007" lists anytime now. It's a brilliant movie and the characters are developed so well that even the absurd moments seem everyday logical. It's hilarious and dragged only a minute bit but eventually dragged itself back up from not very far down and headed right back into hilarity. And the language thing will be a problem if you are particularly offended by certain words and cannot ignore them out of some excruciatingly persistent morality row. Expand
  19. MichaelC.
    Jun 22, 2007
    As far as comedy goes this is a great one. Consistently making everyone in the room laugh. Movie can be crude at times. Katherine Heigl is trying really hard not to be a bitch and at times she is successful. Overall a very funny movie.
  20. ChrisD.
    Jun 8, 2007
    I'm giving this film a nine because despite a certain Hollywoodish ending it is fresh and rewrites the romantic comedy with a hell of a lot more honesty than I have yet to see. The beauty is that it does this like a good conman would, so that you feel good even after you know you've been ripped off a bit. The main cast is stellar. It's funny and celebrates life. I'm giving this film a nine because despite a certain Hollywoodish ending it is fresh and rewrites the romantic comedy with a hell of a lot more honesty than I have yet to see. The beauty is that it does this like a good conman would, so that you feel good even after you know you've been ripped off a bit. The main cast is stellar. It's funny and celebrates life. There's maybe a few holes but overall it's worth ten bucks now and twenty later when it comes out on dvd. Expand
  21. AdamH.
    Nov 10, 2007
    One of my favorite comedies of all time!!! Not quite as good as superbad, but it is so fun to watch a movie with characters that speak like real guys and real girls. Apatow is truly a genius for being able to present this style in such a hilarious movie.... 100% satisfied!!!
  22. CharlieW.
    May 31, 2007
    Funny as hell. Better than 40 year old.
  23. Brendan
    Jun 1, 2007
    Of course there's lots of foul language, sex jokes, and drug use. The title of the movie is "Knocked Up". Why anyone would complain that this film contains TOO MUCH of this stuff when it clearly states in the preview that this is a result of a DRUNKEN ONE-NIGHT STAND is beyond me. R rating plus title Knocked Up equals DUH! They talk about sex. What else did you expect?
  24. Robert
    Jun 2, 2007
    HAs cracked my greatest comedies of all time list...way up there...its passed 40 year old Virgin..Into Grandma's Boy territory..haha.
  25. AndrewG.
    Jun 2, 2007
    Easily one of the best movies I have ever seen.
  26. JeremyP.
    Jun 2, 2007
    Excellent film, couldn't stop laughing quite frequently.
  27. RonV.
    Jun 2, 2007
    Solid laughs. good flick.
  28. MattK.
    Jun 3, 2007
    The best movie i've seen all year.
  29. AllistairP.
    Jun 3, 2007
    First off, if you love F&G/Undeclared then the cast here should pull you in and you will enjoy this THAT much more. After the funny but not all that poignant Judd Apatow, it seemed almost certain that he would go further into the hollywood comedy field with Will Farrel staring in his next film. Yet, here we are with one of the most moving, honest, hilarious, and visionary (not in a First off, if you love F&G/Undeclared then the cast here should pull you in and you will enjoy this THAT much more. After the funny but not all that poignant Judd Apatow, it seemed almost certain that he would go further into the hollywood comedy field with Will Farrel staring in his next film. Yet, here we are with one of the most moving, honest, hilarious, and visionary (not in a pompous way, just as in "its a guy's vision") films of 2007 (in fact, the only one). The dialogue is so sweet and charming that it takes a real soaring talent to write and the actors are so damn good (we loved them in F&G for a reason!) Judd Apatow really has pulled off the impossible since F&G went off air, he encapsulated a decade for us that seemed to be nothing more than a hodge podge of clever references to past decades. He is this generations John Hughes or Kevin Smith. Hype could kill this movie, so I hope you actually didn't read this. Collapse
  30. JeffS.
    Jun 3, 2007
    It's not often that I say this but anybody who didn't enjoy the movie would only do so because they have a large stick implanted between their buttocks. As a 23 year old on the verge of marriage and parenthood, the movie spoke to me in a way no movie has since I was 16 and saw Almost Famous. Fantastic writing and beautiful characterization.
  31. ColleenM.
    Jun 3, 2007
    This movie was Hysterical! The funniest movie I have seen in years. It has been a long time since there has been a comedy out where you are actually laughing outloud in the movie theater. I would recommend this movie to everyone!
  32. Jefframone
    Jun 3, 2007
    After "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" there was a huge margin for disappointment. Judd Apatow and Seth Rogan lived up to every positive expectation I had about what this movie should be. This movie is non-stop laughter and like "Virgin", just as sweet and endearing. But I think that the each time it careened toward the precipice of over-sentimentality it's juvenile stoner antics and sharply After "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" there was a huge margin for disappointment. Judd Apatow and Seth Rogan lived up to every positive expectation I had about what this movie should be. This movie is non-stop laughter and like "Virgin", just as sweet and endearing. But I think that the each time it careened toward the precipice of over-sentimentality it's juvenile stoner antics and sharply realistic male behaviors put the breaks on. In my opinion this film is a perfect balance of the two. My only negative criticism is that like "Virgin" it might be just slightly too long, but I'd be hard pressed to say what should be cut. This is nearly a perfect comedy. Expand
  33. RobD.
    Jun 4, 2007
    This movie was fantastic. Funny, dry, heartfelt and a lot more cohesive than The 40-year-old Virgin." The only small quibble I had was with the set-up for the romance between Ben and Alison. Not well established, even though by the end of the movie I bought it...but at 2 hours I'm not sure how much more set up I would be willing to endure. Still, funny as all get out, no doubt.
  34. SarahB.
    Jun 4, 2007
    Really good movie. Although high on the raunchiness scale, not out of the realm of behavior I've seen from my husband's friends back at that age. Also covered situations very realistically, not the typical Hollywood treatment.
  35. AlisonG
    Jun 4, 2007
    If you "IMDB" this movie, you'll see that the cast are no strangers . . . they have starred together in productions as far back as Freaks and Geeks. You could tell that there was massive chemistry between the castmates because this movie was HILARIOUS. I haven't had sidepain during a movie EVER from laughing so hard . . . until now.
  36. AnonymousMC
    Jun 6, 2007
    If this movie isn't appreciated by some, it's because they have confused, silly notions about "morals" that prove they have not actually seen "Knocked Up" or have been spoiled enough by all the dumb, cheap trick comedies to come out of Hollywood ("Click," "Wild Hogs") that they can't appreciate something that truly is HUMOROUS. I won't say "Knocked Up" is a masterpeice,If this movie isn't appreciated by some, it's because they have confused, silly notions about "morals" that prove they have not actually seen "Knocked Up" or have been spoiled enough by all the dumb, cheap trick comedies to come out of Hollywood ("Click," "Wild Hogs") that they can't appreciate something that truly is HUMOROUS. I won't say "Knocked Up" is a masterpeice, but it is one of the better comedies this year, and deserves to be seen. In fact, f*** what anyone says about it and just go see it! Expand
  37. AllisonR.
    Jun 6, 2007
    I thought "Knocked up" was hilarious. The whole thing just had a feel-good vibe to it, and just about every part of the movie kept me laughing!
  38. BobP.
    Jun 7, 2007
    Hilarious. Instantly vaults itself into my top 5 movies of all time. Hard to imagine a movie funnier than this ever being made.
  39. JenniferK
    Jun 7, 2007
    Great movie. I was rolling around laughing my ass off practically the whole time. "Dude, there are 5 different types of chairs in this hotel.... WHY ARE THEY ALL HERE??" Haha definitely a must see. Anyone who doesn't see the humor in this movie is probably a stuck up christian, and probably also a virgin.
  40. JakeS.
    Jun 8, 2007
    Balanced perfectly. Finally a chick flick that guys can appreciate.
  41. DanielC.
    Jul 4, 2007
    Knocked up aims to be and succeeds at being one of the best comedies coming out this winter. The reason why this comedy works is because all the characters work. Ben's frat friends work well, the awkward moments between the married couple, Ben and Allison add some good moments while the conversations between Allison and her boss work well too. For all of those who are bemoaning the Knocked up aims to be and succeeds at being one of the best comedies coming out this winter. The reason why this comedy works is because all the characters work. Ben's frat friends work well, the awkward moments between the married couple, Ben and Allison add some good moments while the conversations between Allison and her boss work well too. For all of those who are bemoaning the level of swearing, grow up. That's right, grow up. You sound like a bunch of kids going Did he say the p word? Oh! Jeez. People swear, and people especially swear in moments such as these. If you don't like comedies with a little spice on the side, stick to the cartoons, us normal people will be reveling in a great movie which aims to celebrate relationships and the trials and tribulations of them, and succeeds. Expand
  42. ZackP.
    Jan 9, 2008
    This movie is not a teen movie or a main stream comedy for me and it hurt close to home about the questions of love and the mistakes we take as we age.
  43. ThismoviehitVeryClosetoHome
    May 23, 2008
    Okay I loved it. I'll admit it wasn't quite a masterpiece but very real. Some of the other comments on here actually make me really mad because it is very similar to my own life story about my husband and my daughter. So its a shame that SOME people on here obviously know nothing about love and family. Its not that unreal because I really lived it-and she doesn't give up Okay I loved it. I'll admit it wasn't quite a masterpiece but very real. Some of the other comments on here actually make me really mad because it is very similar to my own life story about my husband and my daughter. So its a shame that SOME people on here obviously know nothing about love and family. Its not that unreal because I really lived it-and she doesn't give up anything-remember-she still works at E!- very good movie and NOT THAT FAR FETCHED AFTERALL. (although I am from the midwest were people are a little less shallow than L.A.) And yah it wasnt a slapstick kind of movie-real life is funny, too! Expand
  44. JohnF.
    Aug 2, 2008
    Oh my god its so unbelievable! Jesus people its a movie, its not supposed to be believable and completely realistic. I thought this movie was absolutely hilarious, Ive watched it probably 10 times and it gets funnier every time. Lighten up.
  45. ilarik.
    Oct 2, 2007
    Down-to-earth, warm, humane and blunt, just the opposite of your average comedy, highly recommended.
  46. leeh.
    Oct 3, 2007
    A very funny, astute, intelligent, raunchy, and, adult comedy. it stands out like an oasis in a desert of childish, boorish attempts by other Hollywood efforts.
  47. JTerzino
    May 31, 2007
    Saw it at a free screening and it was freaking hilarious!!!!!!!! Going again tomorrow to give them my money.
  48. JasonDanahy
    Jun 10, 2007
    Great movie wouldn't have changed a thing. Perfect balance of heart and crude humor. Wife loved it just as much as I did.
  49. Jared
    Jun 10, 2007
    One of the funniest movies i've ever seen. Ranks up there with movies like Old School, 40 Year Old Virgin, Dodgeball and Wedding Crashers on my list.
  50. Kyle
    Jun 1, 2007
    This movie was much more than just a comedy
  51. KatieD.
    Excellent in every way.
  52. LeotisH.
    Tremendous. Off-the-charts.
  53. BCS
    Jun 1, 2007
    Amazing. Hilarious every minute but still sliding seamlessly through the plot, and having a good ratio of seriousness and funny...ness.
  54. BenL.
    Jun 13, 2007
    I laughed so hard my sides hurt. Apatow brings a refreshing burst of realism to comedy.
  55. Erin
    Jun 15, 2007
    Ok I thought this was hilarious. like 40 year old virgin, but more relaxed/natural flow of humor. every line was funny... i was cramped up from laughing so hard. and for those who were bothered by people smokign pot (oh gee!) or dropping f bombs (gosh!), or having sex (oh my!), um thats why its rated R. get a life.
  56. AnonymousMC
    Jun 17, 2007
    This movie is hilarious - the whole way through I was laughing hysterically, and I'm the kind of girl who usually loves drama and romance. It was a dose of reality with a whole lot of comedy, and the whole theater was laughing throughout the movie! Definetly my new favorite movie!
  57. Doug
    Jun 2, 2007
    The whole premise of the movie is great. Certain scenes were lol funny but they pushed the envelope a bit too much with the drug use and cursing. I too can appreciate the cursing when necessary but when it is in every other line it just seems that the script was lacking in true dialogue and clever humor. the editing was poor and music was forced. overall there was minimal character The whole premise of the movie is great. Certain scenes were lol funny but they pushed the envelope a bit too much with the drug use and cursing. I too can appreciate the cursing when necessary but when it is in every other line it just seems that the script was lacking in true dialogue and clever humor. the editing was poor and music was forced. overall there was minimal character development and unrealistic connections . it does not deserve an 85 rating but there are note worthy scenes. Expand
  58. GregC.
    Jun 2, 2007
    This was an overall terrific movie that couldnt have been made any differnently. Judd Apatow did a great job directing this movie and one thing he does better than any other director is he trusts his actors enough to let them do some improvising. This was easily one of the funniest movies I have ever seen, and for those complaining about the sex jokes, vulgarity, and drug use in the This was an overall terrific movie that couldnt have been made any differnently. Judd Apatow did a great job directing this movie and one thing he does better than any other director is he trusts his actors enough to let them do some improvising. This was easily one of the funniest movies I have ever seen, and for those complaining about the sex jokes, vulgarity, and drug use in the movie, then dont go see it. You can infer from the title and the R rating that it is going to have it in their and if you have seen the 40 year old virgin, than that is another clue. This movie portrays real life relationships very well and how to oppsites can completely attract to eachother. Overall a terrific movie with realism, excilent commedy, good acting, and a TON of laughs!! Expand
  59. RobertH.
    Jun 2, 2007
    A very funny and raunchy film, but also honest and heartfelt.
  60. AndrewK.
    Jun 27, 2007
    Hahahaha. Stupid people with your morals. I'm so glad that I'm such an immoral person because it doesn't hurt me to hear someone use a dirty word. For real, why did you even go to this movie? Are you so lacking in perception that you actually thought this was a family film? And why do people think that "Hollywood" is some anthropomorphised entity that creates every film Hahahaha. Stupid people with your morals. I'm so glad that I'm such an immoral person because it doesn't hurt me to hear someone use a dirty word. For real, why did you even go to this movie? Are you so lacking in perception that you actually thought this was a family film? And why do people think that "Hollywood" is some anthropomorphised entity that creates every film that comes out and is somehow a moral barometer for America? See, there are actually many individual and actual human beings who work on movies. It's not this fictional force known as "Hollywood," and they're not out to tear down your morality. And the random Jew basher can go going Mel Gibson. And another thing. There's an actual movie to talk about here. It was great. I personally think 40 Year Old Virgin was better and funnier, but I think this movie is a more well constructed film. It's tighter. It doesn't have constant obvious improvisation. Everyone in it is hilarious. And how bout that random Asian chick? She was so bizarre and hilarious at the same time. Schmaltz? I don't think so. Real emotion and real issues that are important but ought to be taken along with some good humor. Yeah, those moments with the baby crowning were a little shocking, but I like surprises. I wonder how they did that. It looked pretty real. Seth Rogen can totally carry a film. See this movie if you like to laugh and you're not an uptight prude. Oh and also, "Crash" is one of the worst films ever made. Just thought you all might like to know that. Expand
  61. RobJ.
    Jun 29, 2007
    The movie was alright. It had its funny moments. . . I'll admit thats its a great rental, but I wouldn't feel like I'm missing out if I didn't see it in theatres.
  62. GaborA.
    Jun 2, 2007
    Bad editing, boring directing, weak plot development, uneven drama, irrational character actions/reactions, and cheap shots(a GYNO that mistakes the anus for the vagina). However, funny as hell. Apatow never resorts to low brow. Most impressively in an age where it seems every comedy starts with a good hour and crumbles in the last half hour; Knocked Up is consistent for its whole 2+ hour Bad editing, boring directing, weak plot development, uneven drama, irrational character actions/reactions, and cheap shots(a GYNO that mistakes the anus for the vagina). However, funny as hell. Apatow never resorts to low brow. Most impressively in an age where it seems every comedy starts with a good hour and crumbles in the last half hour; Knocked Up is consistent for its whole 2+ hour runtime. That alone is worth seeing this movie. Expand
  63. KevinR.
    Jun 3, 2007
    A very funny comedy that reminds us how to make a very intense, life-changing experience into something more.
  64. JackR.
    Jun 3, 2007
    I rarely post on metacritic, but I had to comment on this film. Judd Apatow takes what are the most basic, shallow-minded formulatic hollowood plotlines and somehow infuses them with originality, freshness & emotional depth. The film is screamingly funny with great characters. It reminded of the film Sideways, in that extemely funny things happen on the surface, but it is also a deeply I rarely post on metacritic, but I had to comment on this film. Judd Apatow takes what are the most basic, shallow-minded formulatic hollowood plotlines and somehow infuses them with originality, freshness & emotional depth. The film is screamingly funny with great characters. It reminded of the film Sideways, in that extemely funny things happen on the surface, but it is also a deeply funny film with amusing insights into human nature. Judd Apatow is a true magician. A very impressive movie. Expand
  65. ZakF.
    Jun 3, 2007
    I laughed my ass off threw 90% of the movie, and so did the rest of the PACKED movie theater. Great plot, great B actors, great improv acting, and just outstanding directing. Great to see with friends, and I'll definitely be picking this one up on DVD.
  66. Chuckyo
    Jun 3, 2007
    The movie is a little overrated (it's not as funny as 40-Year-Old Virgin), but it was still well worth the money!
  67. MikeM.
    Jun 3, 2007
    I've never laughed more consistently through a 2hr movie in my life. There were chuckles every 2 minutes and hysterical comedic nuggets through out the film. An awesome look into some of the ramifications the "hook up" culture of Generation X & Y has created for itself. Great comedy, great film. Older people (50+) might not "get it."
  68. RS.
    Jun 3, 2007
    All of the people giving this movie a low score need to lighten up. It was a romantic comedy that was not mean to have some deep plot. I thought it was funny and the actors did a great job. I wish more comedies could be this good. I was laughing out loud - even in places where I was embarresed to be laughing out loud.
  69. GeorgeR.
    Jun 3, 2007
    It was O.K. Its not the "funniest movie ever" as people and reviewers make it out to be. I did laugh and enjoyed the story. Thats it. A lot of hype.
  70. JustinG.
    Jun 3, 2007
    1, 1! Are you serious? There is a reason this movie is one of the best reviewed of the year. If anyone tells you it is bad do not trust anything this person says ever again. They are more then likely on meth and cannot under any circumstances be trusted for advice or child care. Best comedy in years and even better than 40 Year Old Virgin.
  71. JoanG.
    Jun 4, 2007
    It was really great, really, really funny, but not quite as special as 40YOV. For me, this very truthful movie was missing some very important truth at its core. We were given zero reason to believe or understand why Alison would love Ben and actually plan to begin a life with him. (I would say "and visa versa," but Alison is so beautiful, smart, and successful that someone like Ben would It was really great, really, really funny, but not quite as special as 40YOV. For me, this very truthful movie was missing some very important truth at its core. We were given zero reason to believe or understand why Alison would love Ben and actually plan to begin a life with him. (I would say "and visa versa," but Alison is so beautiful, smart, and successful that someone like Ben would simply be stunned that she had anything to do with him at all, and wouldn't care about whether they had anything in common.) It's not that Ben isn't lovable, but the movie never shows you any way that their personalities actually fit together. This is a big difference from Virgin, where one of the beautiful things about the movie was how much sense the relationship made. Moreover, even if Alison's personalty was more compatible with Ben's -- if, for example, we had learned that she had been a bit of a slacker herself before she went into TV and "grew up" -- in real life Alison would be much, much, MUCH more freaked out by Ben's lack of a job or any prospects at all. This is another thing that Virgin did much better -- the Catherine Keener character talks to Steve Carrell bluntly about whether he wants to be a sales clerk all his life, and they come up with a plan that makes perfect sense for him. I think they could have done a couple things to fix this problem in Knocked Up, with a few very tiny changes. For example, after the one-night stand, Alison could have seen Ben as a fun, guilty pleasure, someone who reminded her of her more fun college days -- but someone that she would never take seriously today. And then she finds out that she is pregnant by this lovavble loser, and totally freaks out. On the Ben side, we could have seen some teeny tiny indication that he might have some genuine brains or talent or creativity -- maybe -- and Alison could alternate between hope and despair at his prospects. Almost all the jokes save a couple could stay, and the stuff I'm suggesting would create its own humor, I still love Judd Apatow, but turns out he can't fully see the woman's point of view here. In both relationships in this movie, guys who would still like to remain boys marry women whose primary (only?) characteristics are: (1) They're beautiful and (2) They're all serious and grown-up. The idea that a man and a woman in a relationship should have something fundamental in common (even if they are outwardly very different) does not seem to enter anyone's mind. Oh, well. It was still a hilarous, sweet movie. Expand
    Jun 4, 2007
    I am 23, married, and about to start trying for a baby. This movie hit the nail on the head of this stage in life. It's a little preposterous, but so is life. And I am really grateful for how mature and sensible my husband is after seeing this movie.
  73. AdamA.
    Jun 4, 2007
    Uneven and far from perfect, but far more comic gold than can possibly be counted, and all of it with heart. it wasn't quite as good as the hype, but when I compare to anything of remotely the same genre, there really isn't any comparison. avoid the hype machine, but absolutely positively go sit down and see this movie if it even remotely appeals to you. Highly recommended.
  74. GregM.
    Jun 5, 2007
    Good movie though I could find no reasonable explanation for her tryst with Seth Rogen--none. In real life, I'm sorry, it wouldn't have happened, and it bothered me that no one jumped on Seth about his unemployed status. To Larry: sorry for the 'fowl' language, I guess, but I didn't see any ducks in the movie?
  75. Brad
    Jun 6, 2007
    Great movie made me laugh so hard I cried and farted at the same time, which I thought to be as nearly impossible.
  76. AlexD.
    Jun 7, 2007
    I was surprised by how much I liked it. Easy going and cleverly written! Better than most films that try to succeed in the "great guilty pleasures" category!
  77. KatieN
    Jun 8, 2007
    This was definitely the best comedy of 2007 so far! I loved it and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a good laugh.
  78. SteveK
    Jul 10, 2007
    I can't believe how low the ratings are from other viewers. This is by far the best comedy of the year thus far. Though the movie was filled with some "teen" humor, it was refreshing to have an adult theme. These things happen and in crazy circumstances, incredible results can occur. I highly recommend this flick, though I suspect some teens will find it boring after the opening half hour.
  79. IanC
    Jul 19, 2007
    At this point, I know personally tons of people who have gone to see this movie, and it's really turning into a kind of litmus test. What do I mean by that? Everyone who saw Knocked Up and didn't like it (or rather hated it with a passion -- there aren't many who don't feel very strongly one way or the other) very visibly share some character qualities: they're At this point, I know personally tons of people who have gone to see this movie, and it's really turning into a kind of litmus test. What do I mean by that? Everyone who saw Knocked Up and didn't like it (or rather hated it with a passion -- there aren't many who don't feel very strongly one way or the other) very visibly share some character qualities: they're pedantic, snobby, and ultra-conservative -- the kind of people who would typically like something a lot more if everyone else didn't like it first. If you don't want to waste your time reading the negative reviews, I'll sum up their complaints: one complains about the language (and, fair enough, if you really can't stand the "F" bomb, it's probably not for you); another complains that it is "pro life" (which is truly a ridiculous thing to say, as this issue is far from central to the movie) and that there are ultrasounds in it (sorry?); and another claims that Heigl's character "lusts after" Rogen's (which is completely not the case and really makes it sound like she didn't actually see it). If you pick apart every joke, they're not all 10s, but to call the humor in this movie "male junior high" level is to compare it to the crap in the back catalogs of Adam Sandler or Jimmy Fallon, and that's just absurd. The bottom line is that you should go see Knocked Up, not because every moment is flat-out hilarious, but because it's an engaging and cohesive American comedy that makes you feel like you've seen something thoroughly good by the end of it, and how often does that happen? Expand
  80. JamesM.
    Jul 1, 2007
    This film was hilarious. My wife and I went to see it, and I initially thought I was being dragged to see a chick flick. Boy was I surprised. The entire theater was laughing out loud hysterically throughout the entire film. Great surprise.
  81. vannie
    Jul 20, 2007
    Hahaha. funny as heck. what makes it so funny is that we all have friends that are dorky and we can relate to these guys. the only people who wouldn't find this funny are people who either ARE the dorks or have no friends at all.
  82. DavidS
    Jul 30, 2007
    I really liked this movie very funny and I would have rated it a bit higher except that I got annoyed by too much swearing in the end. It was a bit too much and made the last 20 minutes just too much really, I found myself thinking when are they going to stop swearing.
  83. PaulF.
    Jul 3, 2007
    Knocked up was an absolute knock out. I have not seen a comedy this good since little miss sunshine. It is as lewd and dumb in its humor as Old School but has close to the depth of Little Miss Sunshine. The film mimicked the pot culture and what it is like to be on shrooms suspiciously accurate. Little details like why the pot heads they had a ninja sword and the possession of green Knocked up was an absolute knock out. I have not seen a comedy this good since little miss sunshine. It is as lewd and dumb in its humor as Old School but has close to the depth of Little Miss Sunshine. The film mimicked the pot culture and what it is like to be on shrooms suspiciously accurate. Little details like why the pot heads they had a ninja sword and the possession of green soccer ball where quite telling of their knowledge. Knocked Up had so many laughs that many might find over the top. But what rang true about this film is what we were laughing about stayed eerie close to real life. Maybe if you lead a sheltered life you might not get it but I remember being around and even being like some of these guys and gal. The stoner gal was perfect. I don't know who she was but she got stupid down to a science. Kudos for her acting job. As foreshadowed before not only did Knocked up have a gaggle of laughs true to life but the story actually went somewhere positive with the story. Somethings that dare I say could be a model for living in a modern world. I totally did not expect it but this movie seemed to value life something Hollywood does not always promote concerning pre-borns. And though the couple was far for perfect, coming many times just about crashing and burning in their relationship, they worked through the difficulties. I felt the message incredible positive in a more than entertaining cradle. Expand
  84. Rev.R.
    Jul 8, 2007
    In spite of the "too good to be true" threads woven into this hilarious tapestry, this film performs the remarkable: beneath the laughter the viewer is awakened to the pain and struggle of this dilemma. Moral choices, cultural expectations, the ability to love as choice have as much substance as the moments of comedy. This movie is a classic "tragedy within comedy"; a current rarity. The In spite of the "too good to be true" threads woven into this hilarious tapestry, this film performs the remarkable: beneath the laughter the viewer is awakened to the pain and struggle of this dilemma. Moral choices, cultural expectations, the ability to love as choice have as much substance as the moments of comedy. This movie is a classic "tragedy within comedy"; a current rarity. The ensemble of characters are wildly diverse, yet bound together by either deeply committed friendship, or a marriage teetering on the brink of dissolution. We are allowed to gaze into two drastically different forms of "family" as each seeks to rescue one of its own. This film has many layers of noteworthy substance and is worth the viewing. Though this is an ensemble movie, Seth Rogen snares our interest from the beginning and never relinquishes it. Judd Apatow offers us a refreshing look at a very old problem in the post-modern age. As in any good film of substance related to real life experiences, it is the beauty of life itself that reconciles all brokenness, and redeems a potentially destructive circumstance. Kudos to Apatow! Expand
  85. SimonM.
    Sep 3, 2007
    I had free tickets so maybe my review is colored by the fact that it didn't cost me a penny but this movie was suprisingly good. I went in worried (my sense of humor is some what low-brow/ stupid is funny) but the moment I saw a guy smoking a blunt with a fish bowl on his head I knew I was O.K. It wasn't as "senseless" as Anchorman (a great movie) but it still was just as good I had free tickets so maybe my review is colored by the fact that it didn't cost me a penny but this movie was suprisingly good. I went in worried (my sense of humor is some what low-brow/ stupid is funny) but the moment I saw a guy smoking a blunt with a fish bowl on his head I knew I was O.K. It wasn't as "senseless" as Anchorman (a great movie) but it still was just as good in it's own more "grown up" way. Expand
  86. IanR
    Jan 2, 2008
    American comedy with funny bursts but with schmaltz...
  87. Azjaeger
    Mar 30, 2008
    This movie is genius, reminds me of a Kevin Smith movie in that it ran on the dialogue. Surprised noone gets it...it's a satire on the modern world. All the characters are spouting the cliches of current thinking, a bunch of immature not -too-bright pop culture mavens from the upper middle class who worry about their self-development and feelings above all things because they This movie is genius, reminds me of a Kevin Smith movie in that it ran on the dialogue. Surprised noone gets it...it's a satire on the modern world. All the characters are spouting the cliches of current thinking, a bunch of immature not -too-bright pop culture mavens from the upper middle class who worry about their self-development and feelings above all things because they don't really have to worry about money and don't seem to have to work very hard for it. The man and woman get along because basically they are both ditzes from the same cultural-economic background. They are more alike than they are different. This is brilliant satire..must have gone over a lot of people's heads. Just the "E" executives alone are worth the price of the movie. It's not a comedy in the sense of a Will Ferrell movie, or even a Borat movie...more one where every so often someone speaks a line where you just wince and laugh. Expand
  88. MichelleS
    Mar 14, 2009
    I have read a few very bad reviews, and apparently they were watching a different movie because this one is freaking hilarious! I have seen it over and over again, and still laugh just as hard every time. Seth and Katherine are so funny together and I think they make a cute couple. Yes, there were some gross funny parts and stupid funny parts, but I personally think that makes a comedy I have read a few very bad reviews, and apparently they were watching a different movie because this one is freaking hilarious! I have seen it over and over again, and still laugh just as hard every time. Seth and Katherine are so funny together and I think they make a cute couple. Yes, there were some gross funny parts and stupid funny parts, but I personally think that makes a comedy really funny, a variety of types of jokes. If you haven't seen it, give it a chance. And to those of you who gave it a zero or one, you must not have a sense of humor at all...I understand if you didn't love it, but it deserves more than that. Expand
  89. MattZ
    Oct 1, 2007
    Best comedy I have watched in a long time. This film had me laughing hard many times. The drug use and language was a little too much at times which lowered my rating on this film. The film had a terrific theme and the ending made me nearly cry - I love children!
  90. BekahS.
    Oct 11, 2007
    it was pretty sweet, I liked it a lot
  91. MatthewL.
    Dec 15, 2007
    Funny and sweet. Not as good as others think it is. A little too long, sappy, and sentimental at times.
  92. MJ88
    Oct 23, 2007
    Amazing. Very, very funny. Pretty much PERFECT. (don't listen to the guys below me... they probably think The Comebacks and Epic Movie were hilarious.
  93. JaredC.
    Oct 29, 2007
    Knocked Up is a total script of humor. Judd Apatow never gives up on his comedy, sometimes you felt like it was going to be a letdown but just stayed at a right pace and a good balance. Apatow tried to jab in some drama, but once those quick scenes popped in, it kind of gave you a yawn. Although, I'd have to say, most adults may not enjoy it because the story involves 95% around sex. Knocked Up is a total script of humor. Judd Apatow never gives up on his comedy, sometimes you felt like it was going to be a letdown but just stayed at a right pace and a good balance. Apatow tried to jab in some drama, but once those quick scenes popped in, it kind of gave you a yawn. Although, I'd have to say, most adults may not enjoy it because the story involves 95% around sex. But from my opinion, after I saw cool adds on the film in the paper and after watching a couple of interviews on the cast, I had to watch it. The best Romantic Comedy of the year. And I'm not just saying that just to pull off a good gimmick, it actually is really good. A must see for all movie-goers. Expand
  94. ChristopherD.
    Jun 1, 2007
    Not to be too presumptious, but I think this might be the funniest movie of the year. It is on par with Little Miss Sunshine and Borat, my favorite comedies from last year. The movie was consistently entertaining with some of the best characters in any comedy I've seen in a long time. Debbie Matenopoulos, who I guess is little more than a real life E! correspondent, plays herself in Not to be too presumptious, but I think this might be the funniest movie of the year. It is on par with Little Miss Sunshine and Borat, my favorite comedies from last year. The movie was consistently entertaining with some of the best characters in any comedy I've seen in a long time. Debbie Matenopoulos, who I guess is little more than a real life E! correspondent, plays herself in the movie and almost steals the show. Expand
  95. GeorgeHaddad
    Jun 1, 2007
    I am a 17-24 year-old male and I did love it.
  96. Jenna
    Jun 1, 2007
    Be sure not to offend Laura... She's impressionable:)
  97. KarenB.
    Jun 1, 2007
    This was easily one of the funniest movies I have ever seen! I can't remember the last time I laughed this hard... I need to see it again for all the lines i missed while laughing!
  98. DwightC.
    Jun 1, 2007
    I love this ensemble....great timing, realistic relationships and hilarious running bachelor buddie jokes.
  99. Ryencoke
    Jun 1, 2007
    This is probably going to be the funniest movie of the year. People who honestly didn't like this movie, have no sense of humor or can't handle swearing/crudeness. There isn't really any movie that make me laugh, and this one did.
  100. DavidM.
    Jun 13, 2007
    It's disgusting that people gave this film a 1 or a 0 simply because of frequent F-bombs. If it bothers you that much, see why it's rated "R," and don't spend your money on it if "Language" is listed. This film is fantastic: the writing, acting, and characters are nearly perfect, catching real life and comedy at the same time. It's heartfelt, beautiful, and hysterical. It's disgusting that people gave this film a 1 or a 0 simply because of frequent F-bombs. If it bothers you that much, see why it's rated "R," and don't spend your money on it if "Language" is listed. This film is fantastic: the writing, acting, and characters are nearly perfect, catching real life and comedy at the same time. It's heartfelt, beautiful, and hysterical. Hollywood needs more films like this. Expand

1. Knocked Up feels very NOW. The banter is bruisingly funny, the characters BRILLIANTLY childish, the portrait of our culture's narrowing gap between children and their elders hysterical--in all senses.
    Knocked Up could be one of the summer of 2007's sleeper hits. It certainly deserves the distinction.
    On the surface, Apatow's films are about sex--obsessively, exclusively, and exhaustively. (This one lasts more than two hours.) But that is a clever feint, for their true subject is age.