Knowing

6.1

1. Oct 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's an excellent movie with decent acting, editing, and camera, with a good suspense buildup. What went wrong? The ending. It just threw EVERYTHING good about it into the rubbish bin. It came out of nowhere, made no sense, was over-dramatized, and turned the entire thing into a religious film. Expand
  2. DaveF
    Apr 2, 2009
    I don't understand the high ratings some users have given this film. While this movie does have a great premise and I will agree that the FX are astounding, the ending is a complete let down and cop-out. This is a typical Hollywood effort, tons of potential and you leave feeling flat and cheated. If you thought the end of the last Indiana Jones movie was great, go see it, otherwise I don't understand the high ratings some users have given this film. While this movie does have a great premise and I will agree that the FX are astounding, the ending is a complete let down and cop-out. This is a typical Hollywood effort, tons of potential and you leave feeling flat and cheated. If you thought the end of the last Indiana Jones movie was great, go see it, otherwise be prepared for a disappointment. Expand
  3. JamesA
    Jul 14, 2009
    Bad acting all around, redundant plot elements, and a foreseeable twist that undoes the entire premise of the movie, without so much as a legit explanation, make this a movie that you can afford to skip.
  4. Aug 25, 2012
    I can't actually put my finger on the reason why this film wasn't that good but it wasn't. The plot as a whole is fairly intelligent but I think it must be the acting and could even be something as minor as the soundtrack. Anyway sorry for the lack of information in this review, I am genuinely confused by this film.
  5. MerlaL
    Jun 20, 2009
    alright...i am sick and tierd of dumba$$ fu*cking movies where the reason for all the events are caused by fuc*king aliens,whether is the problem,solution ect..Next time come up with atleast a good ending or don't even bother...p.s NO MORE CHARACTERS WITH DEMENTIA...peace!..P.S.S...FINAL CONCLUSION THESE MOVIES SUCK BALLS...610 just because the only thing that sucked was the ending...peace
  6. wetwebwork
    Jul 7, 2009
    Knowing isn't as dire as people make out, but... it's too long. Three quarters in and we were ready to start fast forwarding. It really could have done with editing down, because the story isn't bad, and the plane crash and subway scene are stunning. Of course the transcendent Christian ending is appalling, but wouldn't have mattered so much if the film had been tighter.
  7. MikeL
    Aug 20, 2009
    This movie tries to create an M. Night Shyamalan type of "twist"; however, it twists itself too far and becomes confusing and disconnected. The movie never knows whether it is a disaster flick, a horror film, a sci-fi thriller, or a mystery. Unfortunately, it isn't any of them.
  8. TFO
    Mar 23, 2009
    I liked the CGIs, from beginning to end. Apocalyptic Revelations-inspired ending seemed a bit rushed, especially the Deux Ex Machina discovery of the solar mega-flare. Given the dire consequences, the characters seemed surprisingly accepting of their fate? This film was worth the mantinee price.
  9. VictorT
    Apr 13, 2009
    Giving a 4 on the FX part of it, but towards the end of the show was a huge disappointment...why don't they name the children after Adam n Eve??
  10. MarkD
    Apr 4, 2009
    Extremely disappointing. Expected a film and got an over-the-top flick. Ebert was on crack with his review. He must have sent the kid to the candy store in his place. Dark City, Proya's masterpiece sets the viewer up for this collosal letdown of biblical Hollywood proportions. This flick rips off Signs, Da Vinci Code, Close Encounters, War of the Worlds and waxes it to a smooth shine Extremely disappointing. Expected a film and got an over-the-top flick. Ebert was on crack with his review. He must have sent the kid to the candy store in his place. Dark City, Proya's masterpiece sets the viewer up for this collosal letdown of biblical Hollywood proportions. This flick rips off Signs, Da Vinci Code, Close Encounters, War of the Worlds and waxes it to a smooth shine with Armegedon special effects. It is the ultimate disaster flick because of spectacular and terrifying subway and airplane crashes and oh yeah the film itself is a disaster. Nicolas Cage is a great actor but he should stop doing Wil Smith garbage. This movie could have been edited down to 90 minutes and been not half bad but it got drunk on effects after it couldn't sustain the intrigue for more than 45 minutes well snap crackle pop. The camera work in this film is stunning no question and there are some of the best action scenes I have ever seen. But this is Alex Proyas so something has got to be good. This will not be added to my scifi DVD collection because it lends nothing new to the genre what so ever. Expand
  11. SamuelC
    May 10, 2009
    The film itself wasn't bad, it is the ending that ruined it for me, but Nicolas Cage was good and, in my opinion, you should go watch that movie, then leave like 15 minutes before the end.
  12. Johnny2cents
    Jul 12, 2009
    I'm on the fence on this one. Only because I love Alex Proyas. Two of his past movies have been landmarks in thier genres but I 'm not sure of 2 things here. One, why why why use Nick Cage? His hair and teeth are a constant distraction. Two, shouldn't M. Night Shyamalan sue for infringement? Like many movies they start of with great hope and then fizzle into the hamster I'm on the fence on this one. Only because I love Alex Proyas. Two of his past movies have been landmarks in thier genres but I 'm not sure of 2 things here. One, why why why use Nick Cage? His hair and teeth are a constant distraction. Two, shouldn't M. Night Shyamalan sue for infringement? Like many movies they start of with great hope and then fizzle into the hamster wheel trying to catch up with its self. Grant it the special effects, plane crash in particulair, were pretty cool but Lord the ending was a mish mash of everything you can possibly think of. Speaking of thinking, me is thinking that Alex wasn't thinking but at least it was still better than anything M. Night has done since The Sixth Sense. Expand
  13. TonyB.
    Jul 19, 2009
    This was a pleasant surprise and deserved better treatment from the critics and better support from the public. It would have been even more successful if the lead role had not been given to Nicolas Cage, probably the poorest major actor in America today. Rose Byrne, however, was fine.
  14. AndrewS
    Aug 17, 2009
    This film doesn't really figure out what it wants to be. Is it science vs religion? Or just a straight action film? The plot holes are so huge its mind blowing. Why would aliens tell a little girl that bad events are going to happen? What does a rail crash have to do with the apocalyptic end? The destruction of the earth isn't really a new concept and it is brave to go along This film doesn't really figure out what it wants to be. Is it science vs religion? Or just a straight action film? The plot holes are so huge its mind blowing. Why would aliens tell a little girl that bad events are going to happen? What does a rail crash have to do with the apocalyptic end? The destruction of the earth isn't really a new concept and it is brave to go along with it (which I guess is what some of the critics that gave positive reviews are referring to). But the hokum of the aliens taking two children to repopulate a new planet? Why only two? The space ship is massive! And what are the black stones for? This film could have been really good, but just ended up a mess. Its worth seeing for the plane crash and subsequent scene, the rest mmfftt. Expand
  15. ManusA
    Aug 18, 2009
    This was one of the biggest disappointments I have ever seen. It lacked emotion throughout, the performances literally felt non-existent, and the ending DID NOT WORK.
  16. AminE.
    Oct 9, 2009
    Doomsday coming...! thats the point, no godzilla, no dracula, no zombie. no any ludicrous stranger things. but its like kidding.
  17. BillyS
    Mar 20, 2009
    I don't think I saw the same "Knowing" that Ebert saw. The Knowing I saw a ridiculous, end of the world piece of crap with an ending right out of the Scientology handbook!! Come on Roger, do you have a piece of the profits or what?
  18. tarekm
    Mar 22, 2009
    Complete waste of time watching this, terrible plot.
  19. CameronM
    Mar 22, 2009
    This movie had the potential to be great but decided to add aleins made of Dr.Scholls gel...thus for completly ruining such a good movie they needed to pick one theme and stick to it!
  20. MattB.
    Mar 23, 2009
    There is one type of movie I hate more then the stupid drama horrors Hollywood is giving us. It is these types of psuedoreligious fics. Nick Cage is such a great actor, why does he star in these shitty films? The movie was good up until a point, when Nick Cage trys to go out and stop these disasters, the plane crash scene being the most dramatic movie scene I've ever seen. Then it There is one type of movie I hate more then the stupid drama horrors Hollywood is giving us. It is these types of psuedoreligious fics. Nick Cage is such a great actor, why does he star in these shitty films? The movie was good up until a point, when Nick Cage trys to go out and stop these disasters, the plane crash scene being the most dramatic movie scene I've ever seen. Then it just spirals down from there into the doom of all humanity. Why that crap? Expand
  21. ArtG
    Apr 18, 2009
    It was worth the price of admisson (albeit at the first showing discounted price of five bucks). I was intrigued by the premis and was along for the ride right up to the last five minutes of the movie where the truth is revield. What a disappointment that was.
  22. Karth
    Apr 19, 2009
    Knowing is a dull uninteresting picture that has brought out some of the worst acting I have seen in quite a while. Some lousy CGI, mixed in with some excellent special effects brings in a mixed opinion on how the film looked. However, the "plot twist" at the end of the film is about as surprising as someone shouting, "The sky is blue!" gives the movie a very anticlimactic feel, along Knowing is a dull uninteresting picture that has brought out some of the worst acting I have seen in quite a while. Some lousy CGI, mixed in with some excellent special effects brings in a mixed opinion on how the film looked. However, the "plot twist" at the end of the film is about as surprising as someone shouting, "The sky is blue!" gives the movie a very anticlimactic feel, along with outright ridiculous twists that will make you want your money back. The worst part about this movie sucking, is that the story is half-way acceptable, but the picture itself does it no justice. Do yourself a favor and avoid this dunce of a movie. Expand
  23. GatsbyJay
    Apr 4, 2009
    CONTAINS SPOILERS: Not great, not terrible, but mediocre. It's NOT one of the worst films ever made, and Zachrid W., for someone who says he, and I quote, "_knew_the whole story...," the movie DID NOT involve aliens. Those were angels, not aliens. They weren't taking the kids to another planet, they took them to either Heaven, or a renewed Earth (thus the kids running towards CONTAINS SPOILERS: Not great, not terrible, but mediocre. It's NOT one of the worst films ever made, and Zachrid W., for someone who says he, and I quote, "_knew_the whole story...," the movie DID NOT involve aliens. Those were angels, not aliens. They weren't taking the kids to another planet, they took them to either Heaven, or a renewed Earth (thus the kids running towards the Biblical Tree of Knowledge). Perhaps you should pay more attention next time. And no, I'm not Christian and therefore defending my faith, but even I could tell they were angels....There's a lot of unfair reviews here, since the movie's NOT saying science is bad and there's no such subtext, and it's not patronizing. It tries to reconcile science and faith together (i.e. the scene where Cage tells his class about the Sun being the right distance from the Earth for life to begin, chance or determinism, accident or process?). My problem with the movie is that there were far too many genres for it to be focused: religious, horror, apocalypse, mystery, etc. Expand
  24. MatthewG.
    Jun 23, 2009
    Occasionally clever yet still thoroughly predictable. While the film is entertaining, it leaves you feeling depressed and wondering why you sat through it.
  25. Patrick
    Jul 13, 2009
    I don't know if A. Proyas thought he could do another alien-related movie as good as Dark City... but he missed it. N. Cage is a great actor but the botox face starts to affect facial expression. I really loved that movie until the last half. I felt the same disappointment that the latest Indiana Jones. It really felt like the writters had no more imagination to finish the movie and I don't know if A. Proyas thought he could do another alien-related movie as good as Dark City... but he missed it. N. Cage is a great actor but the botox face starts to affect facial expression. I really loved that movie until the last half. I felt the same disappointment that the latest Indiana Jones. It really felt like the writters had no more imagination to finish the movie and felt into "clichés" instead of coming up with something new! Expand
  26. JayH
    Jul 2, 2009
    It does have too many coincidences, it is very far fetched and often it is predictable but it sure did keep my interest. Good special effects, the acting is decent. Great pacing throughout.
  27. SteveW
    Aug 10, 2009
    Mildly entertaining but overall disappointment. Not even worth renting on DVD.
  28. JonB.
    Mar 29, 2009
    The movie started off great. It seemed like the writers ran out of ideas near the end, though. I felt like the movie took a 180 degree turn for the worse with about 45 minutes left.
  29. TDKinDallas
    Mar 29, 2009
    Even though it was overall pretty stupid, I recommend it highly to see on the big screen. The special effects scenes are pretty incredible and very emotional. As for the rest, it is pretty bad, even the score is laughable.
  30. JohnB
    Jul 12, 2009
    I didn't hate it. Nick Cage's acting was downright hilarious at times and the special effects were decent. If you've seen "The Day The Earth Stood Still" this movie looks like Citizen Kane compared to that.
  31. lordolunchl
    Jul 21, 2009
    The movie had some genuinely good moments in it. The disaster scenes looked great, and the final disaster looked almost amazing. It had some really interesting things in it, its just that the dialogue in the movie was AWFUL. I can stand poorly written movies, and this one was super crappy. If it had been better written, it could have been an amazing movie.
  32. DerekL.
    Sep 18, 2009
    If you really hate the Earth, this is a film for you. Set to an odd soundtrack and loosely bound to a very cheezy plot, this film had a good ambition. It also grasped suspense. Instead of jumping when a zombie leaps out of a corner, you know that something will happen, but are genuinely suprised when it happens. Then there are the numerous flaws. Here's the short list: A bad If you really hate the Earth, this is a film for you. Set to an odd soundtrack and loosely bound to a very cheezy plot, this film had a good ambition. It also grasped suspense. Instead of jumping when a zombie leaps out of a corner, you know that something will happen, but are genuinely suprised when it happens. Then there are the numerous flaws. Here's the short list: A bad soundtrack, bad actors, a loose plot, and numerous other flaws abound. Also, in the ending (spoiler) all the movie shows is the Earth getting vaporized and then two kids dropping bunnies and running to a tree. What gives? Let me have my 121 miniutes back, Alex Proyas! Expand
  33. Apr 3, 2011
    I think it not SO BAD. Cheesy and absurd plot I admitted but this flick still make us believe earth will destroy someday. Nicholas Cage not wrong picks, well if you jump to 2011, you will see how bad Season of The Witch.
  34. Nov 2, 2011
    This is a good film, but it wonders too and fro throughout a hectic plot far too much. It starts out solid, gets lost in the muddle in between, and then comes back strong for the finish. It's in that middle ground that this film fails to captivate and keep the viewer satisfied. As always, Cage is believable and entertaining, but even his spazzoid performance could not keep the core of thisThis is a good film, but it wonders too and fro throughout a hectic plot far too much. It starts out solid, gets lost in the muddle in between, and then comes back strong for the finish. It's in that middle ground that this film fails to captivate and keep the viewer satisfied. As always, Cage is believable and entertaining, but even his spazzoid performance could not keep the core of this film from sagging. The aliens are nothing new, but their presence throughout the film is intriguing and spooky. All in all, a stronger center would have sky-rocketed this film to a much higher critique. Expand
  35. May 23, 2012
    First of all, the plot was not that good. I do love the concept of the movie. But I was disappointed with Nicholas Cage's performance. I gave a 6 because the special effects from the accidents was amazing and its supporting cast did a nice job. But because of the lead actor's poor performance and the lack of excitement and surprise in the plot, the special effects and the supporting castFirst of all, the plot was not that good. I do love the concept of the movie. But I was disappointed with Nicholas Cage's performance. I gave a 6 because the special effects from the accidents was amazing and its supporting cast did a nice job. But because of the lead actor's poor performance and the lack of excitement and surprise in the plot, the special effects and the supporting cast was overshadowed............ Expand
  36. Aug 25, 2014
    The premise and the beginning of this movie were good. I really wanted to like it, and I did all but for the last half an hour or so... I have to say I was almost mad at how poorly they ended the movie. I can deal with the whole concept, but the execution was so lame that I didn't know if it was supposed to be like a sad joke or not.

The acting was... decent. The characters and the

The acting was... decent. The characters and the setting were clearly introduced from the beginning, but it all crash-landed the closer to the ending the movie got.

Everything about this movie was pretty much perfect before the whole "Whisperer" aspect was brought into it. Sure, the creepy people were seen from time to time, but the truth was so much lamer than what my imagination was cooking up. (My fiend spoiled me before I saw the movie, so I knew what they most likely were... which spared me from further outrage over the **** ending, truth to be told.)

I keep wishing they would have come to another solution - or labelled this movie differently from the beginning. Now it seemed more like the writers wrote a beginning and then had to hurry while deciding how to end such a great concept.

Falling plane and crashing subways... for a PG-13 rated movie "Knowing" had a lot of violence: people dying, burning to death, screaming and being crushed beneath masses of metal sliding over them. The details weren't overly gruesome, but the scenes of destruction were well made in my opinion. Touching and poetic in a way, yet filled with truthful and realistic havoc.
  37. Jan 12, 2013
    The movie is a slow build up to an ending that is not surprising because the whole movie is building up to the undeniable end that was boring in the first place.
  38. Dec 14, 2013
    The basic idea of these students which put their drawings of the future in a time capsule, the way Cage understands what the numbers mean, the first disasters.. This is really good. But I would call the whole part of the aliens/angels "inappropriate". Too much confusion. I needed Internet to understand all, and a film who doesn't explain to the viewer all that he needs is not a good film.The basic idea of these students which put their drawings of the future in a time capsule, the way Cage understands what the numbers mean, the first disasters.. This is really good. But I would call the whole part of the aliens/angels "inappropriate". Too much confusion. I needed Internet to understand all, and a film who doesn't explain to the viewer all that he needs is not a good film. Don't miss about 120 minutes of your lives. Expand
  39. Aug 1, 2015
    Regulate that well, but the special effects are impressive and catch us with the suspense and fear of natural disasters , but the downside of this is that the numbers believe or know everything LOL ! there if half cracked .
  40. Apr 3, 2016
    Nobody requires plausibility from a movie like “Knowing,” which features slender blond aliens, intimations of apocalypse, clairvoyant children and Nicolas Cage as an astrophysicist. If the thing manages to avoid complete preposterousness, the audience can still have a good time.

Or maybe even if it doesn’t: the folks at a recent sneak preview of “Knowing,” directed by Alex Proyas (“Dark City,” “I, Robot”), seemed to be enjoying themselves, though it may have been at the movie’s expense. (Just as well, since they were seeing it free.) If your intention is to make a brooding, hauntingly allegorical terror-thriller, it’s probably not a good sign when spectacles of mass death and intimations of planetary destruction are met with hoots and giggles.

It’s safe to say that the crowd was laughing at Mr. Cage, rather than with him, since Mr. Cage rarely expresses mirth on screen. Instead, he favors a demented, compulsive intensity, which can sometimes be kind of fun, for example in the “National Treasure” movies. In “Knowing,” though, he seems to be exploring the rich vein of crazy he tapped in Neil LaBute’s train-wreck remake of “The Wicker Man.” Mr. Cage screams and yells and flails, smacks a tree with a baseball bat, waves a gun at a slender blond alien and barks “this is not a crank call” into a pay phone after calling in a breathless warning of a terrorist attack.

And why not? What would you do if you were an M.I.T. astrophysicist who discovered that the numbers written down 50 years earlier by a spooky schoolgirl and sealed in a time capsule were prophecies of subsequent catastrophes? You might also hit a tree with a Louisville Slugger and start ranting like a madman. But the odd thing about Mr. Cage in this movie is that even when he is responding to the threat of complete human extinction, you still can’t help feeling that he’s overreacting.

His character, John Koestler, is, like most movie dads these days, a widower, stricken with grief and trying to raise a cute, precocious young son (Chandler Canterbury). Once John starts running the numbers from the spooky girl’s spreadsheet, the tone of the movie switches from foreboding creepiness to apocalyptic hysteria, summed up less in the occasional explosion or transportation-related fireball than in Rose Byrne’s incessant shrieking. She plays Diana, daughter of the spooky schoolgirl (and mother of another one; both are played by Lara Robinson), and evolves from mysterious stranger to potential love interest to raving hysteric in record time.

Though not quickly enough. The draggy, lurching two hours of “Knowing” will make you long for the end of the world, even as you worry that there will not be time for all your questions to be answered. Who are those slender blond folk, called “the Whisper People” by John’s son and Diana’s daughter? Are they goth vampires who showed up early to audition for the “Twilight” sequel? Former members of Kraftwerk? Did they steal all those smooth black pebbles from a day spa after a hot stone massage? Is that why they seem so relaxed?

Actually, you will figure out who they are long before the astrophysicist does and stop caring long before that.

Science fiction fans will feel gypped, disaster movie fans will appreciate about 10 minutes of screen time and be bored by the rest, and no one else will care.
    Knowing is among the best science-fiction films I've seen -- frightening, suspenseful, intelligent and, when it needs to be, rather awesome.
  3. Reviewed by: Jim Ridley
    What would a Christian Apocalypse movie look like with a big budget, a talented director, and star power of higher wattage than a discount Baldwin brother? Here comes the answer: like a glum hybrid of the "Final Destination" movies, an Irwin Allen disaster bash, and the kitschiest parts of Darren Aronofsky's "The Fountain."