Lady Chatterley

6.9

1. EdB.
    Jul 16, 2007
    Absolutely mesmerizing. We haven't stopped talking about it since seeing it yesterday afternoon. Great direction and a wonderful job by Marina Hands.
  2. JayD
    Aug 4, 2007
    The problem with Alexandra's comments is not that she didn't like it, that is her prerogative, but that she felt she should warn other people not to see it. Make your comments about the film and appreciate that others are intelligent enough to make up their own mind as to whether to go to see it or not.
  3. kevinb.
    Aug 16, 2007
    I've given a 10 as a default as - boo - I haven't actually watched the movie yet - it's on release in the UK on 24 August. I may downrate the film after the screening but am willing to suspend disbelief for the mo': I'm really looking forward to seeing it. Moving onto the ad hominem arguments in this thread, why can't contributors accept that their subjective I've given a 10 as a default as - boo - I haven't actually watched the movie yet - it's on release in the UK on 24 August. I may downrate the film after the screening but am willing to suspend disbelief for the mo': I'm really looking forward to seeing it. Moving onto the ad hominem arguments in this thread, why can't contributors accept that their subjective judgements are, of course, legitimate but also carry little weight with others who have differing opinions? There's too much 'I just think', 'overrated', 'elitist', 'imbecilic' etc. And who do I think I am , yadayadaya. Enjoy! And if you didn't, chacun a son gout. (Elitist!) Expand
  4. Liz
    Aug 5, 2007
    Pretty nature scenes and a few good scenes (eg, Lady Chatterly's husband insisting that no one help him up the hill even though his motorized wheelchair os failing him) but about an hour too long. The sex scenes are painful to watch. After their third encounter, Lady Chatterly's lover says, "We came at the same time." ???? I hadn't notice that she got much pleasure out of Pretty nature scenes and a few good scenes (eg, Lady Chatterly's husband insisting that no one help him up the hill even though his motorized wheelchair os failing him) but about an hour too long. The sex scenes are painful to watch. After their third encounter, Lady Chatterly's lover says, "We came at the same time." ???? I hadn't notice that she got much pleasure out of the first two. And why should she have? He had all the technique of a 16 year old boy and it took about 30 seconds. In contract the end of the movie is a conversation between Lady Chatterly and her lover. It takes place in real time and it was agonizing to watch and listen to. Expand
  5. AndyScala
    Jul 14, 2007
    To "Alexandra:" You and your boyfriend should save your time for more profound movies like "Transformers" or "Pirates of the Carribean 3." Hopefully the people on this site will ignore your assinine and imbecillic comments.
  6. MargeB.
    Jul 16, 2007
    From the few low ratings it appears that this film is not for everyone. It requires patience, intelligence, and the willingness to be in the moment as Lady Chatterley's life unfolds. It is, as J.V. notes "beautiful, erotic and graceful".
  7. KenG
    Jul 26, 2007
    To Andy Scala, you are not an idiot if you dislike a certain movie. An idiot is someone who looks down on someone else who doesn't agree with him/her about a movie. An idiot is someone who has no respect for a difference of opinion about a movie. That makes you the idiot. As for this movie, as beautifully filmed as it was, the story is flat, lifeless, and feels tame and dated by To Andy Scala, you are not an idiot if you dislike a certain movie. An idiot is someone who looks down on someone else who doesn't agree with him/her about a movie. An idiot is someone who has no respect for a difference of opinion about a movie. That makes you the idiot. As for this movie, as beautifully filmed as it was, the story is flat, lifeless, and feels tame and dated by today's standards. Of all the great novels, this story is probably not one of the better choices to make a movie about today. The story was daring and scandalous in it's day. But no longer. Take those elements out of it, and what you have left is a rather tame, bland story, that takes too much time to tell a story with so little going on. It seems the mindset of the filmmakers here was that we have to pay proper homage to this legendary story, by making a movie that is almost 3 hours long. The problem is, that there is not 3 hours worth of material in this story. The whole thing is stretched so thin, that even the sex and nudity starts to feel dull. Expand
  8. Alexandra
    Jul 4, 2007
    I cannot believe that this film received the acclaim that it did. I saw this movie at the Tribeca film festival, and my boyfriend and I walked out after about an hour because we were bored to tears. It was the slowest, most un-romantic movie I have ever seen...utterly devoid of the "passion" the critics speak of. The sex scenes were so awkward, the dialouge so sparse and boring that my I cannot believe that this film received the acclaim that it did. I saw this movie at the Tribeca film festival, and my boyfriend and I walked out after about an hour because we were bored to tears. It was the slowest, most un-romantic movie I have ever seen...utterly devoid of the "passion" the critics speak of. The sex scenes were so awkward, the dialouge so sparse and boring that my boyfriend and I had to refrain from laughing. Please, do not see this movie, you would be wasting your precious time. Expand
  9. JV.
    Jul 9, 2007
    One of the most beautiful, erotic and graceful films of the year! Marina Hands is just amazing.
    Aug 4, 2007
    A great surprise. A patience and beautiful film - but with that said - it is not quite the film that it could have been.
  11. Michael
    Aug 7, 2007
    Andy Scala, there is only one s in asinine. Your typographical errors subvert the inherent elitism of your argument. I suggest you return to glorifying shallow postmodern art in the humanities departments or some other intellectual cul-de-sac produced by the Ivy League, while dismissing all other culture as inconsequential kitsch.
  12. Zaj
    Jul 14, 2007
    JV is confused, along with everyone else who could have possibly seen and reviewed this film...What is wrong with everyone? 168 minutes of silence and the sound of nature did I miss something everyone else got? I bored to laughter...seriously the sex scenes were about as erotic as a dog licking his balls!
  13. jerryj
    Jul 25, 2007
    Hey Andy Scala, not only did I enjoy this film, but Transformers and Pirates as well. Wow, how elitist can you get.

1. I found the first half-hour a snooze, but once I adjusted to the movie's rhythms, I was completely enraptured. Ferran weaves the love affair into nature, but not in the mystical, sanctified manner of Ang Lee's "Brokeback Mountain."
    It's a movie as timely as it is thrilling to watch.
    This is not so much a love story (and even less a story about love) than it is a movie of passionate loveliness.