6.6

1. Sep 13, 2010
    Critical reviews for a movie that, if you just checked your brain at the door, you could've enjoyed it. This movie is so far out there and is a fun movie. Don't incorporate logic, if you do you wont like it. It is a movie for kids, and anyone with a fantasy. Watch it, enjoy it, but don't incorporate logic, that would be a huge mistake.
  2. Aug 17, 2012
    I've said my personal opinion of M. Night Shyamalan's movies. The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs are personally my favorite's from him. But his movies started to get to bland, boring, and silly. This film....is unbelievably boring. The plot is boring, the characters are boring, the dialogue is boring, THIS MOVIE IS BORING!!! I can't remember one thing about this movie with falling asleep.
  3. May 6, 2011
    Meh. This movie is a little too heavy-handed for its own good, but if you can forgive that, then it turns out to be a pretty good fairy tale horror-fantasy with some decent scares and laughs.
  4. Feb 24, 2013
    OK, what kind of drugs is M. Night Shyamalan on and how can I get some!? This is one weird, tripped out movie! Overall it's was good, but just very very weird. It has Shyamalan's typical, dark, methodical, presence, as well as his unique brand of humor. What's not typical thou is this story. I don't give spoilers, so let's just say the whole movie I was either saying WTF?!?! or WOW that's cool! It's a strange one, but unique and imaginative. It took me a little while to figure out, but ultimately I decided, I liked it! Expand
  5. Mar 3, 2012
    Another step in the rapid implosion of Shyamalan's career. After Unbreakable, Signs (not bad but only so-so), The Village, The Happening, this awful mess, The Last Airbender and Devil (even if it's just his name slapped on it, he's gotta take some credit for it), I don't expect to be hearing much more of this one-hit-wonder again.
  6. Mar 9, 2013
    This film should be retitled "Forgetting M. Night Shyamalan."
  7. Jul 10, 2013
    No question this film is the start of a drop off for Shyamalan, but call me crazy I still enjoy watching this film as a ridiculous, bizzare, and overall nonsensical bit of fun.
  8. Jun 8, 2014
    I don't know what kind of mind set was the director on when writing the script but he must have been way over his head...

There are many things here that don't click together: i mean, there are some memorable character traits and the directing is actually competent, but the whole movie is stuck in it's own state of mind that is hard to fully sympathize with the circumstances, for
    example: why prolong the movie with unneeded conversations? they pretty much add nothing to the film, that doesn't classify has "character development", why all the weird editing and camera positions? they just make the movie silly to watch and what's up with shyamalan casting himself has the choose one? is he pretending to be the best? is he trolling us...?

The movie is memorable, has a nice soundtrack and the directing effort is where it counts, with it's actors who all do a good job in my opinion... however I can't help but scratch my head at all the weird choices and ridiculous style that make the movie more off a comedy than anything else. I can at least say that the movie made me watch it until the end and I can appreciate that the director wanted to break the common rules of storytelling.
  9. Apr 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I consider it a minor miracle I actually stayed awake for the entirety of this movie. Questions arise within the viewer that M. Night never seemed to consider: Why does the eagle-creature not come earlier in the story? Do these Scrunts prey upon its kind? Wherefore the negligible character development? Why and how does the kid engage in divination with **** cereal boxes? And of course, why did M. Night cast himself as the indirect savior of humanity? I’ll come clean: I had never actually seen any of his other movies before this one, so I’m rating all his other films more cautiously as a rule.

The correct adjective for this would be SOPORIFIC.

I would give this movie 1/10 only, but it does get an extra point for predicting America’s future president as being a Midwestern orator, and two years and change after this movie was released, guess who…

1. Shyamalan does project genuine menace and suspense into this mundane location, especially in nighttime scenes. But the magic that would transport you from reality into fantasy is missing.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    A ponderous, self-indulgent bedtime tale. Awkwardly positioned, this gloomy gothic fantasy falls well short of horror.
  3. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    What's odd about Lady in the Water is that for all Shyamalan's histrionics, he's overcontrolled.