8.6

1. DaveW.
    May 30, 2002
    Way overrated. Watch "Gandhi" instead, pure stupidity.
  2. DesiB.
    Jun 22, 2002
    I am an Indian so I am familiar with long movies...a typical Indian movie is three hours long...anything less makes the Indian masses feel that they have been cheated out of their money...but a movie longer than that imho is idiotic...especially if there is no good reason for it...and it shows... this movie could have been edited to under three hrs easily...definitely so if it is to be I am an Indian so I am familiar with long movies...a typical Indian movie is three hours long...anything less makes the Indian masses feel that they have been cheated out of their money...but a movie longer than that imho is idiotic...especially if there is no good reason for it...and it shows... this movie could have been edited to under three hrs easily...definitely so if it is to be marketed to a non-Indian audience. This movie is grossly overrated ..yes it is different than other Bollywood movies but still uses fundamentally same tactics...however it does try to show poor villagers as poor and dusty...though I could not figure out why the villagers were doing Bharat Natyam on the hills. It is very credible of the director to make a movie with so little substance and still hold viewers interest...and if you want to see a pretty face...which most Indians go to a movie for...then Gracie Singh would not disappoint you....I think it is simply marketing...like the chinese movie Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon...which was not good at all....and if you really want to sample an Indian masala movie...see "Sholay"...it is one of the few movies that I can watch again...it has everything....it is out of date... 70's...but is a classic Bollywood movie. Expand
  3. Roger
    Jun 11, 2002
    This movie needs some SERIOUS editing...... The critics are wrong about this one. It's just OK. However, the photography and lighting are outstanding.

1. The sunny, funny, toe-tapping Lagaan is the answer to those who ask why they don't make movies like they used to: They do, but in India.
  2. Rippingly good, old-fashioned movie epic.
  3. If you've never experienced a Bollywood musical before, seeing Lagaan will be like watching "Gone With the Wind" without ever having seen a Hollywood movie.