8.6

1. AnujaS.
    May 16, 2002
    Classic David vs Goliath movie. Absolute entertainment!
  2. SydneyS
    Jun 6, 2005
    Fantastic movie with amazing songs that you'll never get bored of listening to. Plot is sound, and though trivializes some of the issues in colonial india, is accurate in other respects and is an overall good movie.
  3. BridgetM.
    Sep 9, 2002
    It has everything you could want in a film plus managing to make cricket exciting!
  4. Shabazz
    Oct 8, 2003
    This is an excellent movie it played out the perfect way with the lead character ending up with the women of his life time and the musicals are still playing in my head it is an epic, it shows another side of the world duiring lesser times and makes you feel as though you wish you were there.
  5. CathyV.
    Jan 23, 2004
    Wonderfull movie. First movie from India I have seen and am excited about seeing more movies like this one. The music is rythmicly seductive into standing up and dancing. The lyrics are inspiring and heart marming. The caracters are more than easy to fall in love with. You forget it is a movie and all of a sudden you are there. I can only hope to find the DVD online to purchase and watch Wonderfull movie. First movie from India I have seen and am excited about seeing more movies like this one. The music is rythmicly seductive into standing up and dancing. The lyrics are inspiring and heart marming. The caracters are more than easy to fall in love with. You forget it is a movie and all of a sudden you are there. I can only hope to find the DVD online to purchase and watch all the time. Last but not least, even my music loving 4 year old boy loves it and sings along. Expand
  6. qayyumy.
    Mar 5, 2005
    Good movie.
  7. margarita
    Jul 31, 2005
    Brilliant.
  8. RD.
    Oct 10, 2006
    Brilliant movie. Aamir Khan rocks.
  9. SidP.
    May 18, 2007
    One of the finest movies ever produced in India.
  10. CandiceW.
    Oct 16, 2002
    Most refreshing movie in ages.. Long yes, but how many times does a good movie leave you wanting more? A movie that takes time helps you experience it more.. how climatic would a 20 minute sports event be? [Ed: ***Potential Spoilers****] I was thrilled that Bhuvan stayed with Gauri.. I sympathized with Elizabeth but was far more rooting for Gauri.. it's about time a movie shows a guy Most refreshing movie in ages.. Long yes, but how many times does a good movie leave you wanting more? A movie that takes time helps you experience it more.. how climatic would a 20 minute sports event be? [Ed: ***Potential Spoilers****] I was thrilled that Bhuvan stayed with Gauri.. I sympathized with Elizabeth but was far more rooting for Gauri.. it's about time a movie shows a guy sticking with someone from his home town than "the new exotic one"! I was confused at the end when the narrator said elizabeth remained Bhutans Radje(sp), as I didn't see Bhutan ever show any love towards Elizabeth, and was pleased! Elizabeth's love was not necessarily anything special.. it's always easy to fall in love with a good man, esp if there are so few around. So what if the chinese hated crouchingtiger and the Indians hated this movie.. our countries aren't known for having the same values-Why would we like the same movies? Expand
  11. Valerie
    Oct 14, 2003
    This was an excellent movie. I kept looking at the clock, dreading that it was approaching time for this movie to end. This is the type of movie you have in your library.
  12. JigarD.
    Jun 15, 2003
    One of the best Indian movies to come out in a long long time. Lagaan is a celebration of what drives us Indians mad- Cricket . It may be hard to digest for those of u not used to the Bollywood way of film making - espescially the length , But i felt this movie really crosses borders. If you have watched cricket , Lagaan is a must see movie primarily because it makes you feel like you are One of the best Indian movies to come out in a long long time. Lagaan is a celebration of what drives us Indians mad- Cricket . It may be hard to digest for those of u not used to the Bollywood way of film making - espescially the length , But i felt this movie really crosses borders. If you have watched cricket , Lagaan is a must see movie primarily because it makes you feel like you are in the match. Makes you understand why you are so passionate about the silly game in the first place. Okay so the ending was predictible but it was a great 3.5 hour experience to get there. If you haven't watched cricket in your life - Watch the movie. Maybe you'll become like a billion other crazy Indians and fall for the game. Expand
  13. TanjaJ.
    Apr 20, 2004
    Absolutely gorgeous! Watch it!! - I did (6 times). ;)
  14. TomE.
    Jan 18, 2005
    This movie is pure and compelling entertainment. My first Bollywood movie is now one of my all-time favorites. The songs do pop up out of nowhere, but they are also wonderful music with exciting choreography. The drama is powerful, the characters are strong, and the romance, humor and the cricket match are all enjoyably presented. This is a movie for fans of all ages.
  15. SabineE.
    Jan 7, 2007
    I loved the movie, it is one of the few Bollywood movies I have seen and it is by far the best. I would rate it much much better than what Hollywood churns out today. I could watch it over and over-I especially enjoyed listening to the soundtrack. Well done!
  16. JeskaE.
    Aug 15, 2002
    I loved the movie! I noticed that it didn't seem to end, but it didn't bother me (I had nothing else to do). But anyway, I hardley noticed how long it was because I was caught up in it and I enjoyed it so much.
  17. NitikaK.
    Nov 22, 2003
    Too good for a bollywood movie...undoubtedly one of the best churned out by the industry so far.
  18. Gayathri
    May 18, 2006
    Extremely good. It was perfect.
  19. Jan 10, 2013
    The best Indian movie by Amir Khan and well deserving. This movie should have already won a Oscar! The start is funny and during the play all those dramatic moments are great! This tale is about courage and teamwork and must be watched and even though it is 3 hours it is definetly worth it.
    May 14, 2002
    It's a hindi movie which are known to be long...if you overlook that you can see this as a great movie.
  21. DavidJ.
    Jul 7, 2002
    A visually gorgeous extravaganza. The music and dance does not seem forced or tacked on. The best movie of the summer. Never boring, even at 4 hours.
  22. ganeshv.
    May 22, 2005
    Very good movie... great story... great songs... a movie about confidence and determination... very inspiring... i'm a big fan of cricket and the game in the movie was well choreographed and was as exciing as a real odi cricket game... it was nominated for academy as best foreign film... deserbed to win but unfortunately didn't... but still a great job!!!
  23. AbyB.
    Mar 5, 2006
    Very well made, Exciting and very bold to make a film like in indian market which eventually clicked!
  24. DerekH.
    Jul 29, 2002
    Splendid entertainment, if a tad long. The rich (admittedly textbook) characters bring fullness to the story, propelling it along. Remiscent of "Rocky" in an odd, appealing way. Sensational cinematography, with some catchy musical numbers ("Mitwa" is still going through my head). A healthy exposure to Bollywood film-making.
  25. PatC.
    Apr 15, 2005
    Long, melodramatic, hypothetical & predictable. But it still works because of its skillful presentation of emotional ploys, and its persistence in violating fundamental editing conventions to achieve total immersion in its experience - it has a feel similar to Fiddler On The Roof in that regard. While its unhurried pace reflects elements of hindu culture, it doesn't come across as Long, melodramatic, hypothetical & predictable. But it still works because of its skillful presentation of emotional ploys, and its persistence in violating fundamental editing conventions to achieve total immersion in its experience - it has a feel similar to Fiddler On The Roof in that regard. While its unhurried pace reflects elements of hindu culture, it doesn't come across as alien. If presented as a mini-series, the pace would have been familiar. Watch it over a few sittings, and enjoy the delightful musical numbers. Expand
  26. ChadS.
    Aug 18, 2002
    "Lagaan" gets away with so much. Example: Elizabeth(Rachel Shelley) has fallen in love with Bhuvan(Aamir Khan) and is in the process of telling him so, but stops short by retreating from Hindi when she gets to the revolutionary declaration. She tells him, "I've fallen in love with you," in English. It's so old-fashioned but there's such an earnestness in Shelley's face "Lagaan" gets away with so much. Example: Elizabeth(Rachel Shelley) has fallen in love with Bhuvan(Aamir Khan) and is in the process of telling him so, but stops short by retreating from Hindi when she gets to the revolutionary declaration. She tells him, "I've fallen in love with you," in English. It's so old-fashioned but there's such an earnestness in Shelley's face and voice, you feel her ache. And since Khan looks like a matinee idol from the old Hollywood studio system, his occupation of the screen as a romantic male lead isn't an anachorism because his Tony Curtis visage was made for such unabashed overtures. If there is a flaw in "Lagaan", it's this: We like Elizabeth so much, our rooting interest might be for her as Bhuvan's future wife. That's probably not what Ashutosh Gowariker intended. But his film is crossing oceans and an American audience might like Elizabeth better than Gauri. But there are many things people of all persuasions can agree on. The musical numbers are wonderful. The cricket match sets a new standard in the filming of a sport. And the running time is not a problem. Don't miss this opportunity to learn a little something about the Bombay film industry. "Lagaan" is a honest-to-goodness feel-good movie. Expand
  27. Jan 22, 2012
    Lagaan is a great movie and even surprised to know that it has cracked my GMAT Examination as well. I had joined Climb First for GMAT preparation and I met Mr. Vinod there who has cleared his examination. He advised me to prepare strategy plan as per Lagaan movie. At Climb first, Vinod advised me that to crack GMAT Examination, 11 things are very important, same like 11 members in a team.Lagaan is a great movie and even surprised to know that it has cracked my GMAT Examination as well. I had joined Climb First for GMAT preparation and I met Mr. Vinod there who has cleared his examination. He advised me to prepare strategy plan as per Lagaan movie. At Climb first, Vinod advised me that to crack GMAT Examination, 11 things are very important, same like 11 members in a team. 1. Quant, 2. English, 3. Analytical Writing Assessment,
    4. Level of Difficulty 1 & 2, 5. Keep in Mind about different range of questions, 6. Time Management, 7. Stress Management, 8. Shortlisting of Universities, 9. Tips for Interview, 10. I should justify why I want to do MBA, 11. Where I see myself after MBA. These are the 11 things. If we can coordinate and club all these 11, then we can make it as a team and can hit the goal. I really appreciate Vinod whom I met at Climb First to give these tips I applied and cleared my GMAT. I got a score of 730 in GMAT.
  28. DaveW.
    May 30, 2002
    Way overrated. Watch "Gandhi" instead, pure stupidity.
  29. DesiB.
    Jun 22, 2002
    I am an Indian so I am familiar with long movies...a typical Indian movie is three hours long...anything less makes the Indian masses feel that they have been cheated out of their money...but a movie longer than that imho is idiotic...especially if there is no good reason for it...and it shows... this movie could have been edited to under three hrs easily...definitely so if it is to be I am an Indian so I am familiar with long movies...a typical Indian movie is three hours long...anything less makes the Indian masses feel that they have been cheated out of their money...but a movie longer than that imho is idiotic...especially if there is no good reason for it...and it shows... this movie could have been edited to under three hrs easily...definitely so if it is to be marketed to a non-Indian audience. This movie is grossly overrated ..yes it is different than other Bollywood movies but still uses fundamentally same tactics...however it does try to show poor villagers as poor and dusty...though I could not figure out why the villagers were doing Bharat Natyam on the hills. It is very credible of the director to make a movie with so little substance and still hold viewers interest...and if you want to see a pretty face...which most Indians go to a movie for...then Gracie Singh would not disappoint you....I think it is simply marketing...like the chinese movie Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon...which was not good at all....and if you really want to sample an Indian masala movie...see "Sholay"...it is one of the few movies that I can watch again...it has everything....it is out of date... 70's...but is a classic Bollywood movie. Expand
  30. Roger
    Jun 11, 2002
    This movie needs some SERIOUS editing...... The critics are wrong about this one. It's just OK. However, the photography and lighting are outstanding.

1. The sunny, funny, toe-tapping Lagaan is the answer to those who ask why they don't make movies like they used to: They do, but in India.
  2. Rippingly good, old-fashioned movie epic.
  3. If you've never experienced a Bollywood musical before, seeing Lagaan will be like watching "Gone With the Wind" without ever having seen a Hollywood movie.