5.7

1. Sep 24, 2011
    I recommend playing the game rather than watching the movie. It's better.
  2. Aug 9, 2012
    I love Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. Now that's what a good video game movie is all about. I know critics are still feeling the hatred of video game movies affecting Hollywood. Take a look at Tomb Raider: a good, successful, film franchise that's still holding on after all these years and now a reboot is in the works. Although the sequel look a little decent, but I gotta give it up to Ms.I love Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. Now that's what a good video game movie is all about. I know critics are still feeling the hatred of video game movies affecting Hollywood. Take a look at Tomb Raider: a good, successful, film franchise that's still holding on after all these years and now a reboot is in the works. Although the sequel look a little decent, but I gotta give it up to Ms. Angelina Jolie. She is a phenomenal action star in her own right, marries with Brad Pitt, and of course, she still has the look of a role model. Playing Lara Croft in the movie is just too easy for me to say, but she definitely nailed it. I played all of the Tomb Raider video games, and the original game on PS1 may sorta a lot different than the movie. I really don't trust movie critics and I don't even care what those metascores might say, but can't they get a good and positive reaction, already. Expand
  3. Nov 12, 2012
    Angelina Jolie running around in tight clothes and carrying a gun isn't enough entrainment for me, but, for some, it will be. I'm not saying that's a good quality for them; I'm just saying I think there's a method to the madness of this preposterous thing.
  4. May 3, 2013
    I don't know if it was the silly young kid inside me, or my love for the particular video game franchise, but after watching this again almost 12 years after its release...I still love this film, but mainly only for Lara Croft herself, played by Angelina Jolie.
    Let's be honest, this was a bad film, the characters were far too fictitious and unbelievable, the special effects were unnecessarily muddled and at times senseless, and there were enough continuity errors to put the Carry On films to shame, but I still find the ridiculousness of it all quite intriguing and enjoyable.
    So because back at the start of the millennium origin stories weren't in fashion, we kick off with Lara training in her massive mansion, she then begins to remember her father as it is coming up to the anniversary of his death, but there is also the matter of the planetary alignment which as it so happens is coming up a time when a clock Lara finds can be fitted into a certain lock that will reveal pieces of the Triangle of Light, an artefact with powers to control time, oh yeah and this only happens every 5000 years, so its quite a big deal.
    Lara suits up in her tightly clad outfits and unexplained-as-to-where-her-gadgets-and-stuff-came-from accessories to challenge a man, Manfred Powell (yeah, really) who is a member of the Illuminati, a secret organisation intent on using the triangle of course to control time, but why they are doing this is anyones guess, but I could care less, its still a good movie to watch.
    The plot is of course riddled with ridiculousness to the point that you need to realise that this is a video game adaption, and while that doesn't do the games any justice, it certainly covers the extensive action sequences, while impressive, used a slow motion technique which was just downright annoying.
    Angelina Jolie is on fine form as Lady Croft, she plays the part expertly with her toned physique and her little sexual grunts that make Lara famous. Iain Glen puts an erratic yet enjoyable performance as Powell, while Daniel Craig plays another Tomb Raider.
    If you can put aside the baffling plot and flamboyant characters, and sit down to enjoy the movie for its worth, its a winner, it won't leave you gobsmacked or emotionally unstable, but it should certainly give you a few laughs for its light humour and decent lead performance.
  5. May 19, 2013
    What's a sure fire way to make money off of the raging hormones of teenage boys? Sell them video games with bodacious big breasted babes. The Tomb Raider games are a hit and its no mystery why. For all those same reasons, it's just as likely that a movie based on the game will rake in the cash as well. Fortunately for the franchise, the film doesn't actually need to be any good to makeWhat's a sure fire way to make money off of the raging hormones of teenage boys? Sell them video games with bodacious big breasted babes. The Tomb Raider games are a hit and its no mystery why. For all those same reasons, it's just as likely that a movie based on the game will rake in the cash as well. Fortunately for the franchise, the film doesn't actually need to be any good to make tons of the gorgeous green. The real problem is that Tomb Raider doesn't even TRY to become more than its video game ancestor. Had there been some sort of attempt to break the bonds of videogamedome and elevate the film to the level of cinematic spectacle, Tomb Raider might have turned into a summer movie to get excited about. However, rather than make that attempt, its director appears more interested in making a Tomb Raider homage. Expand
  6. Apr 20, 2014
    The problem with Tomb Raider, in my opinion, is that it isn't a movie- it's one long video game that plays itself. Don't get me wrong, the action is entertaining and the dialogue has some wit. But a movie can't rely on video game aesthetics and action to carry the day. It needs characters you can connect to, a story that keeps you involved, and it has to be careful around cliches. A videoThe problem with Tomb Raider, in my opinion, is that it isn't a movie- it's one long video game that plays itself. Don't get me wrong, the action is entertaining and the dialogue has some wit. But a movie can't rely on video game aesthetics and action to carry the day. It needs characters you can connect to, a story that keeps you involved, and it has to be careful around cliches. A video game is primarily about being immersed in the experience and controlling it, and that's why the Tomb Raider games worked. You had fun controlling an ass-kicking heroine. But the movie doesn't add anything to the video-game formula, and so you're just left with a movie where you wish you were holding a controller, shaping the action yourself. The plot is pure cheese, cliches abound, and Lara gives us nothing that makes us want to root for her besides looking sexy- and that's not enough for a movie to soar. Expand
  7. Oct 2, 2014
    It was... painful to watch this. All there is that stands out about "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" is Angelina herself, her overblown acting and meaningless combat scenes.

1. It is the perfect modern product: loud, banal, empty, frenzied, plasticized, flavorless, drab, violent in a bloodless way and sexy in a sexless way.
    The effects are cheesy, the photography is murky, the sets look like leftovers from a Las Vegas stage spectacular -- and the flick appears to have been edited with a roulette wheel.
  3. I realize fantasy-based action movies aren't supposed to be as complex as William Gibson's novels. But do they have to be this simple-minded?