7.5

1. PhantomFrame
    May 7, 2003
    Frances McD is brilliant!! Worth the price of admission just to see her, but I enjoyed the film overall.
  2. Katie
    Jul 6, 2005
    Best movie I've seen in years! Brilliant performances by Alessandro Nivola, Kate Beckinsale and Frances McDormand. I never get tired of watching this one.
  3. ChadS.
    May 18, 2003
    Christian Bale and Kate Beckinsale are good here, but only when they're in the same scene with Frances McDormand. "Laurel Canyon" gets deadly boring when Bale's paired up with Natascha McElhone. We don't care at all about their affair. We love McDormand at the controls during the recording sessions and her feuds with the label. As Alex, Beckinsale has a tin ear for not Christian Bale and Kate Beckinsale are good here, but only when they're in the same scene with Frances McDormand. "Laurel Canyon" gets deadly boring when Bale's paired up with Natascha McElhone. We don't care at all about their affair. We love McDormand at the controls during the recording sessions and her feuds with the label. As Alex, Beckinsale has a tin ear for not liking the great Sparklehorse song. Expand
  4. SashaB.
    Jul 25, 2003
    Laurel Canyon had me drawn in from the get-go. Fans of High Art will appreciate Lisa Cholodenko's second take on Love, obsession, art, and the subculture of a generation. Frances McDormand's performance was captivating as well as the rest of the supporting cast. The music was excellent and I will definately go out and buy this soundtrack. This movie is not directed at the Laurel Canyon had me drawn in from the get-go. Fans of High Art will appreciate Lisa Cholodenko's second take on Love, obsession, art, and the subculture of a generation. Frances McDormand's performance was captivating as well as the rest of the supporting cast. The music was excellent and I will definately go out and buy this soundtrack. This movie is not directed at the mainstream audience however if your like me, and appreciate moody, psychologically complex films, you'll like this one too. Expand

1. The cast is as likable as it is improbable (especially Nivola, who all but steals the movie as the charmingly decadent rocker).
    McDormand is the best thing about Laurel Canyon. She's also the most unfortunate victim of a film that seems unable or unwilling to give even its most intriguing and compulsively watchable character her due.
    The spectacle of pretty people floating languidly across the screen notwithstanding, Laurel Canyon is short on conviction and long on contrivance. McDormand, however, has a ball.