8.5

1. Jun 7, 2013
    Whether it is the stunning visual landscape that enthrals the entire film, the literary genius of the writing or the larger than life and superior acting of the cast involved, Lawrence of Arabia can stand among the rest as one of the greatest films, art or whatever else, to ever be created.
    Peter O'Toole puts in not only the finest performance of his career to date, but one of the finest
    and emotionally driven of any performance seen in cinema, portraying T.E. Lawrence in his debut is no menial task, but captured through his calm and collective speech, his arrogance for command and his undying will to succeed where most believed impossible is achieved impeccably on numerous occasions from O'Toole.
    Lawrence, a British Army Lieutenant and very much out of place in his position, is assigned to assess the intentions of Prince Faisal (Alec Guinness) in his struggle against the Turks. Upon eventually meeting the Prince, Lawrence's constant interruptions of his General intrigues the Prince, who then lets Lawrence carry out his own mission of a sneak attack on Aqaba, a Turk-fortified city.
    As Lawrence earns the respect amongst his combatants, he soon finds himself as a sort of God amongst men, they would kill for him and also die for him.
    The score from start to finish immediately solidifies what this film is doing, creating and building an epic story, character driven and thoughtful masterpiece to cement a legacy not only for the man it follows, but for its own reputation as a film, and a film it is. A more beautiful and stunning film is rare to see without countless special effects, yet Lawrence of Arabia uses something that is seen as nothing, the desert, and completely obliterates any of the concerned.
    When films like this are viewed on an imaginative and respected level, its difficult not feel very different than you were before watching them, much like Apocalypse Now and others, Lawrence of Arabia gives you something that you may not have ever witnessed before, and probably won't witness again, the effort of the film, the stunning visuals and the literary brilliance of the writing, especially for the wonderful Peter O'Toole, along with Omar Sharif, many moments of screen time are given to O'Toole, and with his piercing blue eyes its hard to look away for whatever reason.
    Take it from a fan, you will never see another film quite like this, best films lists or not, this is what a masterful film is all about, big and bold on every scale, never holding back its potential and delivering a powerhouse feature that lives on fifty years later, you owe it as a film fan to watch and be amazed.
  2. May 6, 2013
    One of my favorite re-release movies is this. 50 years ago might be long ago, but a fresher installment helps that this film has become a success and grew firm with delight for all ages.
  3. Feb 16, 2013
    While I am not surprised that a few movie buffs demur over the length and depth of Lawrence of Arabia, for example, those who find Enter the Dragon or Rambo the epitome of high art. Those of us who adore it are not part of some mindless herd on stampede, there's been plenty of time for our opinions to change. I saw the movie 50 years ago, and I was enthralled by intermission. It has never been anything less than my favorite film for half a century. The American Film Institute has well respected movie ratings. No other film can approach this: AFI Best All-Time performance by an actor (Peter O'Toole). Best all-time cinematography, ever. Fifth greatest film all-time. Best Epic, All-Time. Third greatest All-time Music Score. Yes, the second half has a few slow parts; all the better to absorb this peerless work of art. Expand
  4. Sep 27, 2012
    I watched when it came out, taught it many times and wrote a whole section of a book about it.est movie ever made. Peter O'Toole: best acting job ever.
  5. Jul 24, 2012
    A first-time viewing of this David Lean
  6. Jun 27, 2012
    A dark , perverse and disturbing movie. A masterpiece that brings us to think about what is moral and how far men can go. Required!
  7. Feb 19, 2012
    Epic filmmaking perfection. Such a story filmed at this grand scale demands respect, especially in the early 60s. The scope of Lawrence of Arabia is matched or exceeded only by the likes of Cleopatra, Gone with the Wind and Spartacus. Peter O'Toole's flawless, emotional portrayal of T.E. Lawrence, and in his first major role on film, is awe-inspiring. Independent of historical flaws and tremendous length, Lawrence of Arabia is what the art of filmmaking is all about. Expand
  8. Feb 4, 2012
    In short, they don't make 'em like this one anymore. Viewing it is like taking a time machine to a movie age that was more naive than our own in some ways, more sophisticated and ambitious in others. It's perhaps only because it can't be seen in its full glory on television that "Lawrence" isn't ranked more highly on some recent all-time "best film" lists. But it belongs near the very top. It's an astonishing, unrepeatable epic. What a bold, mad act of genius it was, to make Lawrence of Arabia, or even think that it could be made. It's hard to even imagine the struggles that went into the making of this masterpiece. Peter O' Toole not only gives his best performance of all-time, but one of the greatest performances of all-time. Cons? The landscape, the story meant nothing, the acting was stiff, too long , too melodramatic. But not much else! Expand
  9. Feb 2, 2012
    Looking forward to June 2012, when 50th anniversary release of Lawrence will be available! I've also learned more about the actual history of the real T.E. and WWI events which I think will make seeing the film even more interesting. There's a lot of info online: T. E. Lawrence Studies, T. E. Lawrence Society, and Clio Visualizing History (short video and tons of photos here) are good resources. It's almost scary how much Mr. O'Toole resembles the real T.E.! Expand
  10. Jun 23, 2011
    I watched this movie with no doubt that it would be as good as it was made out to be. It was in the top 10 of the AFI top 100 movies of all time, and it had received many 4 star reviews. About an hour into the film, I fell asleep. Now, fans of the film would say, "Oh, you can't handle the impact of a long epic film. You have a short attention span." Well, with me, that is not the case. But, on the subject of length, this film is almost four hours long. For the content displayed in this film, the running time was way too long. If Titanic can cram all the hefty things it needed in a matter of 3 hours, then this is no excuse. Nothing was happening. I mean, literally nothing. The screenplay needs a real doctor, because it has so much unneeded dialogue. It just procrastinated its way through, I think because it really had nothing more interesting. Director David lean is probably one of the best directors of all time, but in this film, you can tell that his and the producer's mind frame was "I wonder how many academy awards I can get through this film?" It wasn't made naturally, it was gargantuan for this point. I about turned off the movie when I saw a thirty second look at the desert landscape for about the millionth time. Yes, it does take place in the desert, but this movie was called "Lawrence of Arabia," not "The Arabian Desert." Which brings me to my next point: Peter O' Toole. I have seen him in many marvelous performances. I'm surprised he hasn't received an Oscar yet. But, his interpretation of Lawrence was so vague. You only saw the exterior, you never saw the interior. He gets a rush out of killing, yet we don't know why. i partially blame it on the script writers, but I also partially blame it on him. When you are an actor, you have to convey to the audience who you are, no matter how good or bad the script is. he is playing the character that embodies the whole movie. It is solely about him, and he doesn't sell that. Now, I'm not going to bash everything just because I don't like the film, but i will compliment Alec Guinness for his outstanding but short performance as Prince Feisal, Maurice Jarre for the superb score, and the editing. Sorry to burst the bubble of the "Lawrence of Arabia" fans, but I really think this film is overrated, and that it is not as good as it is made out to be. That is my opinion on "Lawrence of Arabia." Expand
  11. May 3, 2011
    This film is perfect in every possible way. It's hard to even imagine the struggles that went into the making of this masterpiece. Peter O' Toole not only gives his best performance of all-time, but one of the greatest performances of all-time.
  12. Dec 17, 2010
    One of the greatest movies of all time.. a true epic! Rarely do you find such a beautifully done movie. *highlight for me* Anthony Q performance, Alex G, and Omar Sharif but many others as well ... almost too many to list... Must see movie!
  13. Dec 15, 2010
    I am a huge fan of David Lean, and this is by far his greatest film. Beautifully filmed, marvelously acted, just all around brilliant film, one of the best of all time in my opinion. The emotional impact of Lawrence of Arabia is large and long lasting, a classic movie that is not only entertaining, but moving in ways that most stone faced classics seem to not achieve.
  14. Oct 2, 2010
    Its movies like this that we are taken on a journey we come back from changed. Only through the astonishing performance of Peter O'Toole and the subconscious thoughts of it's real life occurrence can such a powerful and epic movie be brought into our hearts.

This movie should be no doubt considered when we discuss the best movies of all time.
  15. Sep 30, 2010
    A truly stunning epic, David Lean directs one of the greatest films of all time that can't be missed by anybody with bold acting and epic events that can only be done once, Lawrence of Arabia shines over all epic films.

1. In short, they don't make 'em like this one anymore. Viewing it is like taking a time machine to a movie age that was more naive than our own in some ways, more sophisticated and ambitious in others.
  3. It's perhaps only because it can't be seen in its full glory on television that "Lawrence" isn't ranked more highly on some recent all-time "best film" lists. But it belongs near the very top. It's an astonishing, unrepeatable epic.