Sony Pictures Classics | Release Date: May 13, 2005
8.9
Universal acclaim based on 212 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
AdamC.Feb 4, 2008
too good
JackT.Feb 19, 2008
The Greatest Gangster Thriller I have Ever Seen
WesMJul 28, 2008
The ultimate synthesis of recent British crime classis; the seriousness, characterization and aesthetics of Sexy Beast and the loopy, multilayered plotting and style of Lock Stock... and Snatch. Very highly recommended.
KishoreK.May 25, 2005
Its a classic gangster thriller. Film holds your the attention and makes you think while watching and after it.
[Anonymous]Jun 4, 2005
Best movie of 2005 as of June 1st. Exceptional acting combined with a smart, side-winding story that creates a fully engrossing film.
fionaMay 11, 2005
I found this to be a real gem, especially in the wake of the too-many-to-mention below par british gangster film flops we have been subjected to in this post-Lock Stock world we live in. Layer Cake is smart, stylish, sexy, witty, I found this to be a real gem, especially in the wake of the too-many-to-mention below par british gangster film flops we have been subjected to in this post-Lock Stock world we live in. Layer Cake is smart, stylish, sexy, witty, meticulously acted and intelligently directed. Daniel Craig excels, and more than proves his ability to hold a whole film together in a more mainstream production. Expand
JohnC.Jun 5, 2005
Stunning. Tough to follow. Cinematography is a joy to watch.
johnp.Jun 9, 2005
Well acted. well shot. well writen. great directing. hard to follow at times with all the characters but still an amazing british crime thriller.
EdK.Jun 21, 2005
Layer Cake is, to me, the perfect movie: the characters are genuine and well acted; the plot is original; and there's some great action and cinematography. You have to listen carefully (at least I did) to the actors due to their Layer Cake is, to me, the perfect movie: the characters are genuine and well acted; the plot is original; and there's some great action and cinematography. You have to listen carefully (at least I did) to the actors due to their accents, but the lead character is excellently portrayed. You can truly imagine him as a real guy just trying to eke out a reasonable living in a dangerous, unpredictable business. This is one I'll probably buy on DVD. Collapse
yoluv.Oct 16, 2005
Excellent in it's complexity.
FabienL.Nov 28, 2005
All is good in this movie: great cast, great story, great tempo, perfect tempo: from start to finish. A movie you can see again and again.
DANIELW45Jun 7, 2015
Layer cake is a true modern British crime drama. A excellent book to film adaptation with a great story and Daniel Craig does a outstanding job of portraying this modern day gangster.
choomtabi31Apr 24, 2016
A suspenseful British gangster drama, which twists and turns, so pay attention. Well cast and directed, this thriller is well worth the watch.

Watch it here for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-7381-Layer-Cake
AngelaB.Dec 26, 2007
Daniel Craig was great, and I wanted to see his work before James Bond. Good writing and dialogue, but I have seen much of the style before. Nonethess, it was quite interesting, and I am glad I watched it.
MarcD.May 16, 2005
Amazing supporting performances.... Good flick. Probably the best thing out there right now.
ganeshv.May 18, 2005
One of the best ever...mathew vaughn has now proven himself to be not only a good producer but also an excellent director...hilarious scenes...great plot...very good dialogues...some were pretty hard to follow in the beginning but later as One of the best ever...mathew vaughn has now proven himself to be not only a good producer but also an excellent director...hilarious scenes...great plot...very good dialogues...some were pretty hard to follow in the beginning but later as the movie reveals its real self...u'll love it...a very detailed but comical approach to a crime genre...long live crime movies...thanks to some great directors. Expand
HouseMay 22, 2006
Like a great rock song, Layer Cake hooks you early and never disappoints, rocking you until the final power chord of an ending. Daniel Craig is sensational supported by a cast that once again proves the UK has the best characer actors in the world.
SteveJun 5, 2005
The movie is well acted but the plot is very similar to Carlito's Way.
BillD.Jun 8, 2005
I saw the movie, then I read the novel it's based on, and then I saw the movie again. It took every bit of that to figure out what was happening in this very confusing movie. Frankly, it wasn't worth the effort. The movie has style I saw the movie, then I read the novel it's based on, and then I saw the movie again. It took every bit of that to figure out what was happening in this very confusing movie. Frankly, it wasn't worth the effort. The movie has style and interesting characters, but the story is, ultimately, old and familiar. Expand
SantinoSOct 11, 2005
Vaughn makes a good debut with this. Its much better than "Snatch." The plot is very complicated and theat is the best paer and hte acting is excellent specially from Craig. A sequql could be on the way.
MarkS.Jul 12, 2006
This was pretty good. The lead actor was very good. But I didn't enjoy this nearly as much as Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels or as much as Snatch. And the very end made the movie almost pointless, it angered me.
TaylorS.Feb 3, 2007
It would have been a lot better if they connected the dots more and effectively concluded some of the points and scenes they were trying to accent.
Justinavery7074Oct 11, 2011
Somewhat great, but a great predecessor to Matthew Vaughn's hollywood masterpieces. Once again, you get to see the pure brilliance and genius of Matthew Vaughn. I **** love that talented bastard.
IAmTechJun 19, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Along with Guy Ritchie, Matthew Vaughn is the probably the second biggest director from the UK at the moment with some huge films under his belt, he is also the British gangster film maker of our modern age along with Mr Ritchie having made 'Lock Stock' and 'Snatch' together.

Those two films pretty much flash started the British gangster/underworld flicks back into being and created a whole load of copies in film style and imagery. 'Layer Cake' is Vaughn's attempt without his partner in crime (pun intended) and you can obviously see how that collaboration has rubbed off on him.

The film is pretty much like 'Lock Stock' and 'Snatch' and could almost be the third in a trilogy really, the plot is a hotpot of subplots wrapped around one main plot which all intertwine and work off each other well. Although its very familiar by now in visuals, dialog and concept its still somehow good fun to watch hardcases, fumbling crooks and foul mouthed crime lords all batter each other trying to get money/drugs/women/guns etc...one or the other.

It really is nothing new after the last two big Ritchie films it has to be said with virtually the same cast yet again, bar Vinnie Jones, the same outcomes and the same kind of violence all topped off with outrageously harsh cockney accents. Craig fits in quite well with this world as the well spoken sensible dealer and he does a good job unlike his usual wooden pouting performances, you do want him to win the day and its nice to see someone play a role in these types of films without a whole load of attitude and mouth.

Don't expect anything new to the genre with this as its the same again from Vaughn but its neater, tighter and not as ludicrous as the previous big two Brit gangster flicks, its still a lairy little sod of flick though, bosh!