Leap Year

5.8

1. CarolynB
    Jan 10, 2010
    A solid romantic comedy with good actors and great scenery. If you are a fan of romantic comedies you will like this movie. Amy Adams and Matthew Goode have great chemistry and really sell the rather lame script. Once again, the critics are way off base. I always skip what the "professionals" think of any movie and read user reviews. I would give this movie a solid B+.
  2. KathyS
    Jan 10, 2010
    I enjoyed it much more than I expected I would. Of course, it's a bit formulaic but it is still an entertaining romantic comedy, and the performances of the leads really elevate the material. I'd like to see more of Matthew Goode. (You may remember him from Woody Allen's "Match Point.") If you like Ireland and romantic comedies, then this one is worth seeing.
  3. RobertB.
    Jan 8, 2010
    We just saw this movie today and it was a great romantic comedy. Sadly, the "high brow" movie reviewers who fawn over movies like "Milk" can't seem to fathom why the regular movie patron enjoys a movie like Leap Year. Certainly the basic Rom Com format is there but so what. The characters were great, the scenery was great and the story was entertaining. It was well worth my money for We just saw this movie today and it was a great romantic comedy. Sadly, the "high brow" movie reviewers who fawn over movies like "Milk" can't seem to fathom why the regular movie patron enjoys a movie like Leap Year. Certainly the basic Rom Com format is there but so what. The characters were great, the scenery was great and the story was entertaining. It was well worth my money for a day at the flicks. These "experts" really need to come down to the real world and get a grip on what the everyday person enjoys. Expand
  4. Heather
    Jan 8, 2010
    Critics must be very jaded not to like this movie. Amy Adams and Matthew Goode do a great job in their roles. Perfect romantic movie!!
  5. Aug 13, 2010
    You know what Leap Year is another generic entry into the romantic comedy genre and you know what I must confess that I enjoyed it. As we all know about in romantic comedies is that woman are very successful and they are hungry to get married and finding the right one. As well as trying to desperately doing some antics to achieve that goal. Leap Year follows that routine and you might beYou know what Leap Year is another generic entry into the romantic comedy genre and you know what I must confess that I enjoyed it. As we all know about in romantic comedies is that woman are very successful and they are hungry to get married and finding the right one. As well as trying to desperately doing some antics to achieve that goal. Leap Year follows that routine and you might be wondering why I haven't thrown it away yet. It's that damn Amy Adams she makes everything watch able. She can make a turd look good. Go ahead and photograph her with a turd next to it. I swear you'll say "Oh that turd isn't that bad." The film opens up that Anna (Adams) is in a relationship with Jeremy (Adam Scott) who hasn't asked her to get married yet. Anna feeling disappointed abandons all hopes, but her father tells her about an old Irish tradition that once every leap year the woman proposes to the man. Of courses pack up the suitcases and get yourself into funny situations and you got yourself a movie. Then he meet the rough all around the edges-but charming-a#$hole Irish guy. I think I don't have to explain the plot anymore you kind of got the idea of where it's going. The movie succeeds because of Adams and there's not much chemistry between Matthew Goode and her. It's a rehash of every other romantic comedy out there but it was funny, it wasn't offensive either. An other thing I liked was that the guy was just a plain looking guy not dreamboats, which they usually cast. Finally the girl chases after the guy at least it's something different. It's tolerable if your girl wants to see it. Expand
  6. Dec 2, 2010
    This movie's premise has holes large enough to push an Irish pub through, but there are three elements that make it worthwhile: 1) Matthew Goode never overplays the part he's been dealt 2) The cliffs and countryside of Ireland make for magnificent viewing, and 3) Amy Adams' spirit has enough fizz to energize this tired chick flick and render it quite enjoyable.

1. Reviewed by: Brian Miller
    Leap Year belongs to the Prada backlash subgenre of women's pictures--epitomized by "The Proposal"--in which smart, stylish women must be muddied, abased, ridiculed, and degraded in order to get their man.
  2. Leap Year could have used more pizzazz.
  3. A by-the-numbers romantic comedy as predictable as it is cloying.