Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: September 24, 2010
6.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 153 Ratings
WATCH NOW
ammeooJan 20, 2017
This movie was an utter disappointment for me. The plots were not properly executed, there were many loopholes and the story was boring to be honest. The problem with these commercial films is that their whole purpose is to make money out ofThis movie was an utter disappointment for me. The plots were not properly executed, there were many loopholes and the story was boring to be honest. The problem with these commercial films is that their whole purpose is to make money out of amateur movie goers rather than make something that should critically make sense. Expand
FreedomFightersNov 26, 2016
"Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole" should win the award for longest, most-drawn out title of 2010. Couldn't they just call it "The Guardians of Ga'Hoole" or something like that? Either way, let's just call it "Legend of the"Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole" should win the award for longest, most-drawn out title of 2010. Couldn't they just call it "The Guardians of Ga'Hoole" or something like that? Either way, let's just call it "Legend of the Guardians" for the review. Now, beyond winning the award for longest title, "Legend of the Guardians" was DEFINITELY in the running for most polarizing film of 2010. Was it a fantastic, darker animated film? Or was it typical Zack Snyder preferring style over substance? The debate rages on, but I personally loved the film. It's epic, it's action-packed, it's gorgeously-animated, well-acted, and extremely wondrous. It's not for everyone (some might be disappointed if they expect it to be "The Lord of the Rings" of animation), and you'll hate it if you really enjoyed the books, but all things told, "Legend of the Guardians" is a fantastic animated film that I'll definitely continue to enjoy for many years to come. Expand
gameguardian21Sep 17, 2016
I was invested in this book to movie adaptation that surprised me. It had a great idea and does a good job in its characters, storytelling, and the animation. One zack snyder film that I actually surprised me.
bfoore90Aug 29, 2016
If there is any proof that Zach Snyder can make movies and be a decent director in Hollywood, its Legend of the Guardians. Not only just a visual treat but its also a surprisingly well done animated epic with eye popping visuals and a storyIf there is any proof that Zach Snyder can make movies and be a decent director in Hollywood, its Legend of the Guardians. Not only just a visual treat but its also a surprisingly well done animated epic with eye popping visuals and a story with many treats and thrilling action. Expand
BlancheJul 12, 2016
A visually outstanding film with surprisingly good action scenes let down by a confusing and unfocused plot. Quite a lot of the time it was difficult to piece together what had been said in relation to what happens afterwards. As well asA visually outstanding film with surprisingly good action scenes let down by a confusing and unfocused plot. Quite a lot of the time it was difficult to piece together what had been said in relation to what happens afterwards. As well as this, there were parts in the film that were most certainly dull that dragged on for a bit too long. But, as a children's film it succeeds visually and that can be enough for any kid. They won't have to suffer with the unclear storyline like us. That's not to say that it was a disaster in that department, just a prominent weak area of the film.

So to wrap it up, I do think it is a decent film. Nothing exceptional about it however.
MovieMasterEddyApr 6, 2016
Zack Snyder, director of “300,” “Watchmen” and the coming “Sucker Punch,” aims for younger males with the animated “Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole,” and a mighty strange bird the movie is.

Based on the books by Kathryn

Based on the books by Kathryn Lasky, the film might be called (after Harry Potter’s postal pet) “Hedwig of the Rings.” What it isn’t is anything like “Happy Feet,” George Miller’s charming eco-fable about penguins. “Killer Talons” is more like it; parents will find footwork of a more lacerating (if largely bloodless) sort.

The story is a battle between good owls (the Guardians), who live in Ga’Hoole — an arboreal paradise that would be familiar to the Na’vi of “Avatar” and the Ewoks of “Return of the Jedi” — and the bad (the Pure Ones), who dwell in a barren wasteland. A good owl, Soren (voiced by Jim Sturgess), is kidnapped, and sees his brother, Kludd (Ryan Kwanten), lured to the evil side. Soren escapes to alert his flock, and soon winged warriors are donning helmets and metal claws and swooping vengefully in slow-motion conflagration.

Mr. Snyder, an old hand at green-screen effects, now has an entirely digital canvas to play with, and every feather, sunset and 3-D perspective (it is in both 3-D and normal formats) is rendered in impeccable detail. The voice talent, much of it Australian (Sam Neill, Hugo Weaving, Abbie Cornish), is also top-notch. If only the premise weren’t so familiar and the female characterizations so tiresomely backward (Helen Mirren is an imperious harpy, while Soren’s friend Gylfie, played by Emily Barclay, is wide-eyed, fragile and helpless).

“Legend of the Guardians” may be a hoot, but for all its pyrotechnics, it fails to soar.
EpicLadySpongeApr 4, 2016
This (along with 300) are the only good films I enjoyed from Zack Snyder. Any other films out there involved in "Zack Snyder" is not worth defending such as Man of Steel.
Soren420Jan 30, 2016
Brilliant animation, awesome voice acting. this review is completely unbiased despite username...
sure it's not necessarily the best movie based on story, but it's certainly better than much of what's on the horizon
CineAutoctonoDec 19, 2015
Zack Snyder, has fared well with almost owls , but excels in animation , and the plot and script, was almost convincing, but this film would not be resigned
McgillacuddyNov 10, 2015
An eye-popping motion picture riddled with undeniably spectacular animation and dazzling images, but underwhelmed with a simplistic and predictable plot.
moviemayhemApr 28, 2015
From the concepts and the commercials, Legend Of The Guardians: The Owls Of Ga’Hoole may not sound like a project from Zack Snyder, director of Watchmen, 300, and 2004’s Dawn Of The Dead remake. It’s a CGI children’s fantasy that pits goodFrom the concepts and the commercials, Legend Of The Guardians: The Owls Of Ga’Hoole may not sound like a project from Zack Snyder, director of Watchmen, 300, and 2004’s Dawn Of The Dead remake. It’s a CGI children’s fantasy that pits good talking owls against evil ones, taken from Kathryn Lasky’s popular book series, and it lacks the gore and grimness of Snyder’s past work. But within seconds of its opening, a feather drifts off an owl’s wing, spins in midair in ultra slow motion, then slams into full speed again. It’s instantly clear that while Snyder the gorehound isn’t at the wheel, Snyder the slick stylist is, with his usual exclamation-point-loaded visual signatures. While that can’t compensate for Legend’s weak story, his pacing and cutting and the film’s superlative animation at least make it a dynamic experience.

Unfortunately, the story rarely rises above cookie-cutter kids’-fantasy tropes: It’s a standard hero’s-journey story, one that substitutes colorful characters for actual incident. The protagonist, a barn owl named Soren (Jim Sturgess), runs afoul of a tyrannical owl society devoted to collecting a magical MacGuffin with dubious plot powers. He escapes with a tiny elf owl (Emily Barclay), befriends wacky owls voiced by David Wenham and Anthony LaPaglia, and seeks help from a legendary collective of owl heroes. Meanwhile, Soren’s brother falls under the wing of evil owl queen Nyra (Helen Mirren). It all builds to the expected good-vs.-bad/brother-on-brother confrontations, which Snyder directs with multitudinous slow-motion, sparks-throwing clashes between owl armor and metal-sheathed claws.

Much of what works in Legend can be credited to Animal Logic, the studio behind 2006’s Happy Feet; its animators have created a vivid world with deep, gorgeous spaces that become stunning in 3-D, and owls that would have made Walt Disney weep with their feather-perfect realism and natural movement. And to anyone young enough to have not already seen dozens of rote Chosen One Vs. Generic Evil fables, Legend may well be as exciting as it is beautiful. But there’s no nuance or subtlety to hook the adult audiences for whom “Owls go from A to B” is a framework, not a complete story. And a cliché wrought in finely detailed feathers is still all too obviously a cliché.
homer4presidentMar 29, 2015
Whilst the voice performances were brilliant and the visual effects were absolutely stunning, the story just doesn't take off. It's very simple, common and predictable. Nothing new was added to take the story of a young and inexperienced butWhilst the voice performances were brilliant and the visual effects were absolutely stunning, the story just doesn't take off. It's very simple, common and predictable. Nothing new was added to take the story of a young and inexperienced but talented boy that goes on a journey of courage and growth to become a hero into anything more than what we've seen countless times in children's and teens movies. Generic but beautiful. Expand
lahjaunelmiaSep 1, 2014
This movie was just so much better than I expected. I love this film. *SPOILER* Only things I didn't like was how Soren didn't care that his brother died and the story was a bit confusing.
HISHEhebAug 10, 2014
better than Lion King, this movie is so underated. if you haven't seen it yet... why???? this is the best movie for your children. the movie won't make your kids dumb
DuckNationMay 25, 2014
Zack Snyder making a movie about owls wasn't so sure about it. I liked his other films but was surprised about how much i enjoyed it. The animation was amazing even in 2013 it could still stand up to movies like brave and wreck-it ralph. TheZack Snyder making a movie about owls wasn't so sure about it. I liked his other films but was surprised about how much i enjoyed it. The animation was amazing even in 2013 it could still stand up to movies like brave and wreck-it ralph. The story was nothing really great though i felt like it being only 1 hour 30 minutes really made it seem like the film could have gone at least another 30 minutes but i understand why they shortened it. The action was cool seeing the birds fight but with Snyder's style behind it the story was a bit more darker then what i thought it was going to be and i really liked that.

Overall i give it a 7.0 when you can make a film about owls enjoyable i have to give you credit for that
MarkMusicMar 26, 2013
Easily one of the best animated films ever, great action, production, voice over, everything was top nouch in this. Better animation then other films probably the best effects in a motion picture. Better then (Toy Story, Avatar, Harry Potter,Easily one of the best animated films ever, great action, production, voice over, everything was top nouch in this. Better animation then other films probably the best effects in a motion picture. Better then (Toy Story, Avatar, Harry Potter, Narnia, Despicable, Rise of the Gaurdian) animation. Story was pretty good as well. Im upset that it took me almost 2 years to watch it but Im glad I did A+. The story isn't told perfectly but the dark tone, and bit of humor makes up for it. This is a movie for 9-10 and up. I know you saw the trailer with the beautiful scenes and the amazing song choice. Expand
TheWalrus2000Mar 9, 2013
Snyder surprieses audiences with his one film that actually isn't gritty. Besides that Owls of Ga'Hoole was cheesy but had numerous fun moments for the whole family to enjoy.
GriffinJan 28, 2013
The makers of Happy Feet takes an interestingly dark turn in storytelling with this movie adaption to the best selling book series. The characters are enjoyable, the animation is fantastic, the soundtrack is beautiful, & the action is epic.
epicnessJan 11, 2013
the least i can say is that it was ok. wasnt great wasnt horrible. was kinda bored and confused at times. (i got lost cuz i stopped listening a few times) i wish it was better though. needs more excitement.
livia89Mar 6, 2012
Just amazing!! It is an animation, but its not just for kids! I loved it! I cannot really describe more, i suggest to everybody watch minimum once. Lovely and full of with action :)
heyitsmegrif4Dec 17, 2011
It is very hard to say no to this movie due to its fantastic animation, action, dark tone, and voice performances and it even has a bit of humor and succeeds well enough even though the story isn't told very well. I give this film 82% of aIt is very hard to say no to this movie due to its fantastic animation, action, dark tone, and voice performances and it even has a bit of humor and succeeds well enough even though the story isn't told very well. I give this film 82% of a good movie. Expand
BrandonBonaseraNov 11, 2011
Owls of Ga'Hoole is a decent and a cute film, but some parts of the film are a bit dull.
grandpajoe6191Oct 5, 2011
"Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole", a action flick summer blockbuster directed by Zack Snyder, is a great movie with outstanding visuals but fails to contain any significant points to boast about.
jimmytancrediJun 22, 2011
The film honoured its role to dazzle. Its look is something without comparisons, a glimpse that summarizes the sublime in spectacular images that are governed by an almost uninterrupted soundtrack, a full concert in mid-film. Still winsThe film honoured its role to dazzle. Its look is something without comparisons, a glimpse that summarizes the sublime in spectacular images that are governed by an almost uninterrupted soundtrack, a full concert in mid-film. Still wins points for not indulging in cuteness. The owls own movements which are extremely close to the real, only running it because of the inevitable movement of pacifiers (to speak). In fact, the motions â Expand
OhRlyMay 9, 2011
Beautiful presentation let down by poor acting and audio, plus the characters were too goofy and aimless for my taste, best that you watch Rio instead.
ShappersApr 25, 2011
Absolutely brilliant. My 11year old daughter was routed to her seat and me along side her. Best animation I have ever seen. My daughter gave it 10 out of 10, I would have given it 11 if it were possible!!!
Blu_BirdApr 17, 2011
the movie was made epicly, the storyline kept me and some of my friends entertained for the entire movie, and some more talking about it. it was a great movie, and i wont regret giving it a 9
RazvDec 18, 2010
A very good movie. The characters are funny, the plot is very interesting and the graphics are absolutely amazing and outstanding. A movie worth seeing.
ESS180Nov 5, 2010
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thought this was pretty cool, the animation was remarkable.

The ending was pretty sweet, the fighting and all that was so epic.

My only problem is that the opening of the movie picked up a slow pace and it was boring at the begining but it picked it up really well.

Also I wouldn't call this a kid's film I should say this movie would be for ages 10+
This was pretty violent for a PG.

So there we have it I thought it was good
DiezmartinezOct 22, 2010
Otra insufrible pelicula de "Hack" Sneyder. El hacedor de ese insulto al cine llamado 300 (2006) le toma ahora contra la historia imaginada por la escritora Kathryn Laski. En esta cinta animada hay un bando de tecolotes malos nazifascistas yOtra insufrible pelicula de "Hack" Sneyder. El hacedor de ese insulto al cine llamado 300 (2006) le toma ahora contra la historia imaginada por la escritora Kathryn Laski. En esta cinta animada hay un bando de tecolotes malos nazifascistas y tecolotes buenos y heroicos. Los dos son igual de aburridos. Expand
AndrewUltimateOct 20, 2010
Some genius directors and producers have come up with the rare eye delight, or astonishing visual effects. Perhaps the greatest of the year so far. Just that adds one star to this movie. Overall, I thought it jumped around at times, but aSome genius directors and producers have come up with the rare eye delight, or astonishing visual effects. Perhaps the greatest of the year so far. Just that adds one star to this movie. Overall, I thought it jumped around at times, but a cute movie with nice owls anyway. It kind of reminds me of Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. Expand
mandm1951Oct 20, 2010
Too violent for my tastes, especially for younger kids. Also there wasn't really a good moral or story in my opinion, and I didn't care very much about the characters. Skip it, imo, and don't bother taking your kids.
MovieLonely94Oct 20, 2010
Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings all mixed together into one huge CGI epic hit. though, it has a dark tone and it may not be suitable for kids, but despite that, it has nice character development, great visuals, and awesome butt-kickingStar Wars and The Lord of the Rings all mixed together into one huge CGI epic hit. though, it has a dark tone and it may not be suitable for kids, but despite that, it has nice character development, great visuals, and awesome butt-kicking action scenes. Legend of the Guardians is an excellent CGI movie of the year. Collapse
drajferOct 12, 2010
As my first review, I felt that the critics may have been a little harsh on this movie. As a 32 year old I found that this movie was a wonderful breath of fresh air. More serious and intense than the average animated fare, this movieAs my first review, I felt that the critics may have been a little harsh on this movie. As a 32 year old I found that this movie was a wonderful breath of fresh air. More serious and intense than the average animated fare, this movie tackled some interesting issues quite well as well as delivering an epic movie feel throughout that genuinely captured my interest through the whole move. Of course I would have like a bit more character development (which I'm sure the books do better justice), but I must say I was very pleasantly surprised and highly recommend this movie to anyone over the age to 12. Expand
MissBattyOct 7, 2010
I've read reviews saying that some people don't understand the movie at all. It sounded more like they either haven't read the books or just don't have an imagination at all. Beautiful animation aside, the plot is simple and understandable.I've read reviews saying that some people don't understand the movie at all. It sounded more like they either haven't read the books or just don't have an imagination at all. Beautiful animation aside, the plot is simple and understandable. It goes a bit quick, but once you watch the movie a second time. you tend to take in the gorgeous views instead. Some parts even made me tear up a bit...
Adding also, the movie isn't so terrifying that children won't be able to see it. It's more of a mild terrifying. If you like old stories told new, then I believe you will enjoy this.
GooseOct 5, 2010
My son and I really enjoyed this movie. The 3D effects were beautiful, and the story was great! I would have liked to see more "training" scenes, but the movie definitely met my expectations!
SmellyCatSep 29, 2010
Probably the single most stunning film in terms of visual effects so far this year, Legend of the Guardians is not only a visual treat but also a surprisingly well done animated epic. I've heard a lot of people writing about how this is 'tooProbably the single most stunning film in terms of visual effects so far this year, Legend of the Guardians is not only a visual treat but also a surprisingly well done animated epic. I've heard a lot of people writing about how this is 'too dark' for children, but come on: this film is no darker or scarier than Nightmare Before Christmas, the second or third Harry Potter, or The Corpse Bride. It really is an amazing animated film that I think children will love, with a good message and amazing visuals. Expand
LAughing863Sep 28, 2010
I am so glad that I got foiled in my attempt to lift this movie. The less people in the theater who don't know how to watch a movie, the better! This movie is both stunning and poinient, and entertainment rather than fact or history, butI am so glad that I got foiled in my attempt to lift this movie. The less people in the theater who don't know how to watch a movie, the better! This movie is both stunning and poinient, and entertainment rather than fact or history, but accourding to time is the best way to watch this movie, except for the cut and paste at the end, which is good and should be kept. The best a movie can be! I will, FOR sure try to buy this movie on DVD. I wanted to buy it on order, then torrent it, but it didn't work, good job entertainment industry! PG means, STRONG PARENTAL GUIDANCE, this should be rated in the 17 category, but high school can be very difficult! Expand
ShiiraSep 28, 2010
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rip-roaring though the action scenes may be, a feast for the eyes and the senses, "Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole" is in reductionist terms, "Star Wars" with owls, and that's when it's not busy being "Lord of the Rings"(and even, a little of "Schindler's List") with owls; nocturnal birds anthropomorphized into jedi knights and hobbits, stormtroopers and orcs, who could be any number of interchangable animals, since the generic narrative never strays far from the same hero quest template found in so many fantasy-based films. But the film's subtext fascinates, as it's spectacularly inappropriate for a children's movie. Modeled after Nazi Germany, young owls are kidnapped from their homes by the Pure Ones and deposited at labor camps, in effect, making "The Diary of Anne Frank" passe, and so twentieth century. Metalbeak(an obvious Darth Vader, or Hitler stand-in) is planning a Krystallnacht, a two-step pogrom that would eradicate the Guardians, then their home, the mythical kingdom of Ga'Hoole, a far-away place that Soren(Jim Sturges) always believed was real, while his brother Kludd(Ryan Klanten) had regarded as nothing more than a rumor. Without the steadying influence of their parents, the sibling rivalry culminates in a divergence based on ideology(a difference that can be glimpsed in its incubative stage back home), as Kludd, a Tytos owl looking to get out of his brother's shadow, starts working for the Pure Ones in the capacity of a Judenrat-like affiliate, and Soren, a freedom fighter like Luke Fly-walker(sorry), not only preserves his species, but storytelling, as well, both owl and oral tradition alike. From the outset, Kludd was already displaying the capacity for totalitarianism, with all that harrumphing toward his family's ideals in the communal tree. He hated Soren for his love of literature(a literature that also function as a liturgical work of art); his spirituality and benevolent nature. Kludd was a bad egg. After Grimble chooses Soren and Gylfrie to be a sort of Schindler's owls, he helps them escape to Ga'Hoole, where the fe-di meets Ezylryb(Geoffrey Rush), the author of his father's favorite story. Decrepit and resigned to irrelevance, the corporeality of The Lyze of Kiel creates a disconnect in Soren's mind from the picture his father helped paint; the writer, as it turns out, is not a hero, a lesson learned for the naive owl who now understands the difference between fact and fiction. It's a juxtaposition that reappears later in the film, finding expression in the diegesis, the geography of the labor camp, where the magnetic force field(read: crematorium) is situated next to a brush fire(read: a bonfire for book-burning). To Kludd's satisfaction, the real Guardians, and the abstract version of their exploits can both be extinguished. (Ezylyrb is among the dying Guardians.) But Soren, like David, slays Metalbeak, slays Goliath, and protects his kind. More importantly, he preserves his kind's culture. Expand
FrozenStar90Sep 27, 2010
Never have I seen such a life-like film lacking in so much...life. This movie is a complete mess. It can be utterly terrifying to children and mind-numbingly stupid to adults. Never did I once feel compassion or sympathy for any of theNever have I seen such a life-like film lacking in so much...life. This movie is a complete mess. It can be utterly terrifying to children and mind-numbingly stupid to adults. Never did I once feel compassion or sympathy for any of the characters. Probably because they're all so cardboard and annoying. In addition, the film may have some amazing animation, but it never really makes full use of it. The aerial battles are repetitive and completely forgettable. Talk about disappointing. Expand
MedinaReviewsSep 26, 2010
How Did Marketing Ever Approve This Title?

A 3D childrenâ
SteforianSep 25, 2010
It was a great movie. Plain and simple, with lots of lessons learned and thrilling action. The only reason why the movie was not 'too' popular was because of the 'unrealistic' factor of the movie, all i can say to that is that this movieIt was a great movie. Plain and simple, with lots of lessons learned and thrilling action. The only reason why the movie was not 'too' popular was because of the 'unrealistic' factor of the movie, all i can say to that is that this movie falls under the fantasy genre so you get what you pay for. Expand
DarkCriticSep 24, 2010
I like the owls,well everybody loves the owls. This is the movie that the brave owl must journey away to the guardians of Ga'Hoole with the greatest owls and he must fight against those evil owls that controls The Pure Ones and this is a goodI like the owls,well everybody loves the owls. This is the movie that the brave owl must journey away to the guardians of Ga'Hoole with the greatest owls and he must fight against those evil owls that controls The Pure Ones and this is a good movie that the owls are so bravery and more interesting for the entire family. Expand
movielover64Sep 24, 2010
It has a great, very epic, story, with some great 3D. It is definitely worth a see, even if the only reason you go is to see the awesome 3D. A little dark, so it may not be appropriate for smaller kids.
TheUnpaidCriticSep 24, 2010
Star Wars, Avatar, Lord Of The Rings all rolled up into one grand epic. 5 stars doesn't do it justice! I loved every frame of this film. Magnificently beautiful, spellbinding, exiciting to the nth degree and finally getting 3D right. Don'tStar Wars, Avatar, Lord Of The Rings all rolled up into one grand epic. 5 stars doesn't do it justice! I loved every frame of this film. Magnificently beautiful, spellbinding, exiciting to the nth degree and finally getting 3D right. Don't miss it! [However, not a children's tale!] Expand