7.8

1. Nov 29, 2012
    I absolutely loved this movie! There were parts that I wanted to cry at and the movie at parts that really moved me! The end was amazing and I'll never forget that movie! I recommend the movie to anybody and everybody!
  2. May 21, 2013
    I delayed watching this film for a long time, thinking it wouldn't live up to its hype. Stories set at sea seldom interest me. Although the film takes no time taking us to the sea, the buildup to it was done pretty good. I even forgot we would be taken there momentarily. Life of Pi is about life, faith, and holding onto your beliefs in the face of hardships and tragedy. The allegories wereI delayed watching this film for a long time, thinking it wouldn't live up to its hype. Stories set at sea seldom interest me. Although the film takes no time taking us to the sea, the buildup to it was done pretty good. I even forgot we would be taken there momentarily. Life of Pi is about life, faith, and holding onto your beliefs in the face of hardships and tragedy. The allegories were amazing. You have to watch the film to know what I mean. But I found the climax a bit lackluster. I think its unforgivable especially for the visual medium to ignore the 'Show don't tell' principle. The impact could have been many times greater. Expand
  3. Dec 1, 2012
    Fascinating! On the surface, it appears the movie is just a show about a boy and a tiger. But upon reconsideration, it is far, far deeper and darker than first thought. Yes, we SEE a boy and a tiger, but what we hear is different than that. The boy is on a boat, cast aside from a ship disaster, and on it with him is a tiger--at least that's what we see. But the underlying story isFascinating! On the surface, it appears the movie is just a show about a boy and a tiger. But upon reconsideration, it is far, far deeper and darker than first thought. Yes, we SEE a boy and a tiger, but what we hear is different than that. The boy is on a boat, cast aside from a ship disaster, and on it with him is a tiger--at least that's what we see. But the underlying story is about how he survived without food or water for 2/3 of a year. If one is to really review this, it has many literary devices in it--irony, foreshadowing, flashback, imagery, just to name the fewer, simpler ones to recognize. This is a masterpiece of a film. If a person is to figure out the symbolism involved in the story, it is gruesome to consider. But it seems realistic when one does consider it.

This is a fun story for the kids, but it will also be a fascinating story for those of you who enjoy deep, deep symbolism and an underlying story inside the story that is told.

Fascinating movie. One of the better ones we've seen in a long time.
  4. Dec 1, 2012
    Gorgeous picture and nice bits of stories but the movie as a whole didn't feel like it conveyed the main theme. Again the film was absolutely beautiful and probably beats avatar in the image department.
  5. Dec 3, 2012
    Brilliant use of 3d technology,
    A miraculous achievement of storytelling and ,
    A landmark of visual mastery.....
    Overall,,,,One of the best movie of the year.....
  6. Dec 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although this movie is important in as a philosophical concept and beautiful to watch, it is still a survival story of a young man trapped on a life boat with a ferocious tiger. I didn't think wooden life boats were self-bailing but that aside, this movie "is what it is"; somehow finding the meaing of life or a relationship with God in the midst of a life struggle. I would recommend it but I don't know if I would watch it again...a real test of a good movie. Expand
  7. Feb 22, 2013
    A beautiful film! Fueled by some amazing and dazzling visual effects, Life of Pi is a fantastical story of survival, but there's so much more to it. On the surface it's a survival story, but it's also a poignant tale about finding oneself. As the film draws to its close, you think you have a grasp on the message, but then the ending concludes and you realize there's a little bit more toA beautiful film! Fueled by some amazing and dazzling visual effects, Life of Pi is a fantastical story of survival, but there's so much more to it. On the surface it's a survival story, but it's also a poignant tale about finding oneself. As the film draws to its close, you think you have a grasp on the message, but then the ending concludes and you realize there's a little bit more to think about. Ang Lee really did a great job here; he takes you on this marvelous journey (in 3D), but subtly and effectively leaves the ending just open enough for interpretation. Suraj is really good as Pi, especially considering this is his film debut; Irfan Khan and Rafe Spall are also effective in their supporting roles. There are some "okay" moments here and there in terms of cgi, but overall the effects are stunning. Life of Pi is probably one the most beautiful film you'll see from 2012, I recommend it. Expand
  8. Feb 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I couldn't decide between a 7 and an 8, so I gave it a 7.5. Things that were excellent: visuals, A+, Back story, A-. Things that made this review lower- the amount of things that actually happen ,the boat gets a bunch of water in it, then they are on a life boat, they go to an island, then they go home, the tiger leaves him, end of story. Deceptive introduction, the beginning seems like a lot of random zoo animals aimlessly scattered across the screen, putting up random close ups of each of the animals. Expand
  9. Dec 8, 2012
    I'm still mulling through the writer's and director's meaning for this film. I was spellbound by the cinematography, the acting, and the story.
    Without the 3 D, it would have been just as wonderful.
  10. May 5, 2013
    First I taught the movie was very stupid because off the trailer, but it isn't a stupid movie, this movie is actually one of the best movie's of 2012. Life of Pi is a well made movie from one of the biggest directors of all time: Ang Lee. Ang Lee created an excellent work for young and old. The writer did an excellent work to. Really the best family film of 2012, I am sure about that.
  11. Dec 15, 2012
    Life of Pi, is one of the best films to be released in many years. The story and visuals are beautiful, I shed a few tears and left the theatre touched and moved. There are very few movies made these days with true heart and soul. Life of Pi is a rare gem and it is worth seeing on the big screen. The 3d was tastefully done and enhanced many of the films visual moments. The music,Life of Pi, is one of the best films to be released in many years. The story and visuals are beautiful, I shed a few tears and left the theatre touched and moved. There are very few movies made these days with true heart and soul. Life of Pi is a rare gem and it is worth seeing on the big screen. The 3d was tastefully done and enhanced many of the films visual moments. The music, acting and writing was all spot on. To be honest I really did not want to see this film after I had seen the trailer. I think this film was very hard to market and the trailer was horrible. Thankfully the film is nothing like the trailer. The film is incredible. See it for yourself and prepare to be moved. Expand
  12. Dec 18, 2012
    The most beautiful film, especially because the treatment on the story and the image is so delicate, it's a jewel and a metaphoric journey. Ang lee leads us into a dream and dangerous world. The film remind us the price of the life, animal or human . Thanks for putting Pi and Richard Parker on the screen It's was a marvelous gift for this end of the year.
  13. Dec 28, 2012
    A fantastic film. See it for yourselves and go with an open mind, especially if you have not read the book. In my opinion this is one of the best films I have been lucky enough to see at a cinema, it has been given some unfair reviews on this website and anyone who cannot see the visual beauty of this film is ignorant. Added to that, the story and the questions that are asked are quiteA fantastic film. See it for yourselves and go with an open mind, especially if you have not read the book. In my opinion this is one of the best films I have been lucky enough to see at a cinema, it has been given some unfair reviews on this website and anyone who cannot see the visual beauty of this film is ignorant. Added to that, the story and the questions that are asked are quite brilliant. A must see film. Expand
  14. Dec 24, 2012
    The movie dragged a bit, but the cinematography was absolutely amazing. But I kept waiting for someone, anyone, to find them. The scene on the island was cool. I think the script should have simply eliminated the part with the book writer and Pi. It dragged the film down. It would be interesting to see the film with those scenes removed. I think it would have worked much better.
  15. Jan 8, 2013
    This movie is a absolute pleasure! The usual survival movies never can make it look like Life of Pi. The pretentious movies like the horrible "Anaconda" movie, Every movie should not be set in USA and finally someone has taken the message. Life of Pi has great graphics and should not be anticipated to be a bad movie.
  16. Jan 17, 2013
    This is an extremely entertaining film. Some strange themes are explored but it's all encapsulated with the most wonderful visuals. Some of the artsy scenes are beyond phenomenal - you might even forget some of the storyline just because of the overwhelmingly beautiful art and CGI. Don't be put off by the trailer -- this is a film you should not miss.
  17. Dec 27, 2012
    Ang Lee's direction is at his most ambitious with this visual dazzlement and a striking narrative of life at it's most explicitness and peculiar. The photography of the film is delightfully gorgeous, however, its gargantuan ending is slightly disappointing.
  18. Dec 28, 2012
    Perfectly adapted. I read the book back in the day and recommended it highly to friends and family. Actually really enjoyed the 3D version. I thought it was beautifully adapted and carried the spirit of the book to the screen which I highly doubted entering the theater. Understandable that some people would not like it. It is not a flash bang picture. It is a journey to the heart ofPerfectly adapted. I read the book back in the day and recommended it highly to friends and family. Actually really enjoyed the 3D version. I thought it was beautifully adapted and carried the spirit of the book to the screen which I highly doubted entering the theater. Understandable that some people would not like it. It is not a flash bang picture. It is a journey to the heart of man and you have to be in the mood to take that journey. Expand
  19. Dec 31, 2013
    Well, one of most expected movie of 2012 by me. It was not a colorful visual movie like 'Avatar' which was bluish Or 'Hugo' which was orangish except in few scenes that too come in night shot though IMO you should not compare it with above two. Many part of 3D sequences were just awesome.

It could have been more violent and sentimental story that ever told on this theme but not, the director cleverly blended the humor with character emotions very nicely, thats why it was just ratted PG where children are allowed with their parents approval, but it is common for them to see an animal to kill another in Animal Planet, so its not a big deal i think. The CGI animal(s) were looked so clean and good.

I must say the movie don't offer what you expect from its trailer, in movie it was totally different than any movie in the world except Waterworld Cast Away Castle in the Sky Life Of Pi, i am not comparing it to other 3 but saying got similarity in some parts.

I did not like the end much, I mean the way it ended was not proper, I thought it still had something to go far away then realized it happen only in commercial movies.

My question is can this movie do good business which got no big names and cast!? Indian cast, Taiwan's talent, American product and a great effort of various technicians from around the world is equal to LIFE OF PI in Pacific ocean over 227 days. Hoping it gonna grab couple of awards in Academy award. Worth watching it in 3D, Someday in future you can say that i was in there when it came out when it called epic like what we call some of classical movies today.

You could see better and beautiful India in beginning few Minutes than any Hollywood movie which deal on Indian subject. people from in and around Pondicherry can feel proud, why not whole Indians can. The images from the movie will remain in our eyes for some time even after you left the cinema hall specially may be you won't forget the name Richard Parker.

And now i go for 9 outa 10 saying must see specially we Indian coz we cant make movie like this at least for right now in our own but we can watch this western piece of Indian art carved Ang Lee.

There is a chance it gonna replace 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' as his (Ang Lee's) best, i said may be so lets see. Might be i am little excited for seeing it in preview show lets see what happens later days and what others say.

9½/10
  20. Jan 14, 2013
    A totally satisfying film - I went with my son (15) and daughter (12), and it's the only film we've all really liked, for differing reasons. I think that says a lot - you can just enjoy it as a gripping and beautiful spectacle, or be engaged by it on a different level. But you are almost certain to be moved by it. I feel genuinely sorry for anyone who would find this film boring, and isA totally satisfying film - I went with my son (15) and daughter (12), and it's the only film we've all really liked, for differing reasons. I think that says a lot - you can just enjoy it as a gripping and beautiful spectacle, or be engaged by it on a different level. But you are almost certain to be moved by it. I feel genuinely sorry for anyone who would find this film boring, and is unable to appreciate the beauty and humanity of it. Expand
  21. Dec 30, 2012
    This movie makes me proud to be a 21st century movie-goer. Finally I see a film that has special effects which are used so appropriately and brilliantly. Of course, not only did the special effects make me love this film, but the adapted screenplay and cinematography did as well. No, I don't really believe that this film is a 10 out of 10. Perhaps it is more of an 8 out of 10. HOWEVER,This movie makes me proud to be a 21st century movie-goer. Finally I see a film that has special effects which are used so appropriately and brilliantly. Of course, not only did the special effects make me love this film, but the adapted screenplay and cinematography did as well. No, I don't really believe that this film is a 10 out of 10. Perhaps it is more of an 8 out of 10. HOWEVER, compared to other films that have been released in recent years... it would definitely seem to be a 10 out of 10. I loved it!! Expand
  22. Feb 1, 2014
    i didn't pay enough attention as to why the family left for canada and there was no need to stick gerard depardieu in the film for the 2 secs he was on the screen, but, other than those two quibbles, loved it. so entranced by the tiger/boy relationship that, by the end of it, i was in tears. of the two "endings", i definitely chose the magical one.
  23. Feb 26, 2013
    Super, one of the best film i have ever seen. The story has a lot moment, the movies show that animal has feeling too. But i had read the book, the movies has missiong some imprtant part. But the movies is still good
  24. Feb 2, 2013
    I think that this movie should be rated PG-13, why? Because elements of religion, the movie gets darker through watching and getting into complex, the pacing was weak, I waited 35 minutes, for the ship to sank, and there are some really boring parts that might put you to sleep, but visually it is really magical, it shows the magic of nature, the wonder of life, the powers and tests of GodI think that this movie should be rated PG-13, why? Because elements of religion, the movie gets darker through watching and getting into complex, the pacing was weak, I waited 35 minutes, for the ship to sank, and there are some really boring parts that might put you to sleep, but visually it is really magical, it shows the magic of nature, the wonder of life, the powers and tests of God upon all humans, every human will get a test to survive and learn from life that everything is not a piece of cake, the message of the movie, the visuals of movie, the soundtrack, the acting, everything is Oscar-Worthy and HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, for people over 11, it is only that some parts are boring but 98% of the movie is intense amazing and MAGICAL. Expand
  25. Jan 13, 2013
    This movie is definitely profound in several aspects. It also makes me think by metaphorical way about my own life. I believe that people from different backgrounds (life experiences) would obtain different impacts by the expression of this movie. As long as you have soul, heart and good perceptiveness, you will know about yourself more or discover your inner latent power. Ang Lee is trulyThis movie is definitely profound in several aspects. It also makes me think by metaphorical way about my own life. I believe that people from different backgrounds (life experiences) would obtain different impacts by the expression of this movie. As long as you have soul, heart and good perceptiveness, you will know about yourself more or discover your inner latent power. Ang Lee is truly a genius! Expand
  26. Jan 13, 2013
    The adventurous journey of a teenage boy sharing a life-boat with a carnivorous tiger and a hyena in Life of Pi (Patel) was a daunting assignment to render the multidimensional story into a movie. I did not read the book, but I could imagine that the author must have evoked the eternal conundrum between the complex relationship of flora (nature), fauna (human and animals) and God. TheThe adventurous journey of a teenage boy sharing a life-boat with a carnivorous tiger and a hyena in Life of Pi (Patel) was a daunting assignment to render the multidimensional story into a movie. I did not read the book, but I could imagine that the author must have evoked the eternal conundrum between the complex relationship of flora (nature), fauna (human and animals) and God. The perspectives to comprehend this relationship changes when one is in congenial circumstances (the young Pi in Pondicherry in the comfort of his loving family) and when one confronts adversity and death in hapless situation like Pi was marooned in the vastness and unpredictability of Pacific Ocean trapped in a life boat with carnivorous animals. The movie has merely depicted the story against the backdrop of amazing scenes of the Mother Nature, both in her schizophrenic episodes of ferocity and tranquility, of spree of destruction and perpetual serenity. The movie lacks the finesse that could stir one's soul to experience the journey at the same mental plane of an outcast who is constantly striking a balance to survive by seeking the company of an untamed tiger as well as protecting himself from being devoured by the hungry tiger. The movie unravels the intrinsic mystery of Nature which evolves through a co-genetic process of cooperation and competition between predators and victims. Despite its superb 3-D rendition, that sobering experience was a bit from distance (partly because the movie narrates the spectacle through adult Pi thereby killing the suspense) and not at an emotional hyper-plane where the viewer's mind blends with the strife, fear and hope of the main character. If not anything, the production crew of the movie (which must have been over 1000 people geographically dispersed in many countries across three continents) must be lauded for working innovatively and completing a Herculean task. I think that the movie is likely to win two or three Oscar awards in the categories of production and movie making, but not in major categories. However, the Academy has different yardsticks to measure the excellence and has nominated Life of Pi in eleven categories. PinakiMazumder
    Dated January 13th, , Ann Arbor, Michigan.
  27. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A beautiful film; the cinematography is exquisite, with the score by Mychael Danna only adding to the ethereal and dream-like quality that this entire film evokes. This film is designed to give the audience more food for thought than a definitive ending as regards the film's integral aspect of religion. If you want a film for casual entertainment then this is not the film for you. It is engaging, both visually and in terms of the plot, with a sudden twist at the end offering a fresh perspective and certainly providing more discussion on the way home. The film is relatively slow-moving, however, this should be unsurprising as it centres on a boy lost at sea for 227 days- something which would hardly be the most adrenaline-pumping of events, even with a tiger on the same raft. Yet this is not a hindrance to the film, but a further example of what this film is really about, though it does rule out those simply seeking action and thrills, as this film's focus is predominantly elsewhere. It is an awe-inspiring and yet deeply humble film in that despite the flash visual effects, they are done in trying to capture the same stunning beauty of nature itself, which they certainly do. The strength of Pi in his desperate attempts to survive make this film touching and not simply a piece of art. Expand
  28. Jan 16, 2013
    The film is coherent, visually stunning and carries Martel's plot line well. Unfortunately, it's too sterile, too squeaky clean, too perfect to be truly lovable.
  29. Jan 20, 2013
    Life of Pi is first and foremost a visual representation of the imagination. Lee lets (most of) the story to unravel steadily and calmly, allowing the viewer to interact with the film as they would with a painting.
  30. Sep 8, 2013
    An extremely impressive film on many levels. Life of Pi isn't perfect, but it's still a must see movie experience. First off, this is one of the most visually impressive films ever made, with beautiful, colorful seascapes, and visual effects right up there with Avatar. It has moments of true amazement and cinematic brilliance amidst a well told story and a solid central performance. TheAn extremely impressive film on many levels. Life of Pi isn't perfect, but it's still a must see movie experience. First off, this is one of the most visually impressive films ever made, with beautiful, colorful seascapes, and visual effects right up there with Avatar. It has moments of true amazement and cinematic brilliance amidst a well told story and a solid central performance. The score is also extremely good, and creates just the right mood of wonderment mixed with sorrow. The movie is somewhat uneven however. It feels at times like it plays things too safe. There definitely could have been some more out there moments during the sea voyage, and the scenes taking place back on land, while decent, seem somewhat dull. I also didn't like how the film endorses mixing religions together, and the fact that the story is being told in retrospect by an older Pi doesn't work very smoothly. These nitpickings aside, I still really enjoyed this memorable and at times very moving movie. I'd even recommend buying it. Expand
  31. Apr 27, 2013
    EPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC MOVIE! This is with TDKR, my favorite film of all time. Ang Lee, THANK YOU so much for this film, i will never forget it
  32. Mar 30, 2013
    If you can get past the over-long prologue, this movie is thought provoking, emotional, funny, and filled with some of the best special effects out there. Great movie.
  33. Feb 11, 2013
    Life of Pi is a pleasant family friendly commercial cinema and nothing more. As a 3D film, Martin Scorsese's "Hugo" is a far more accomplished visual experience
  34. Feb 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With his latest movie, "Life of Pi", Ang Lee further establishes himself as one of the greatest contemporary movie directors. Starting from his Taiwanese beginnings, and his highly enjoyable, family-harmonizing "Father Knows Best" trilogy (1992-1994). Just finished watching the Midnight Premiere. Did not disappoint one bit. The Acting is incredibly believable, and the ending ties it all together. The story sorta drags in the beginning, but Ang Lee did a good job keeping my attention to the film. The Animation is incredibly realistic. I couldn't tell the difference between what was real and what wasn't
    Few movies will leave a lasting impression on you..Life of Pi is one of those. Not even a single moment is dull, in fact the story is woven so tightly that you never realize that the script is so simple. It is beautifully directed and kudos to Ang Lee, not only was he able to capture the beauty of India, he was also able to get the best of the actors. Though it does not rank too high on 3D, its just visually mesmerizing. My trust and faith in Ang Lee has gone up to the highest level after watching this movie..Luckily I was able to catch the premiere show and will continue to relish the after effects of the movie for the next few days!
  35. Feb 16, 2013
    One of the few adapted novels which actually rivals the book; in fact I enjoyed it more than the book. This is a truly spectacular film in the real sense of the word. It is breathtaking to watch, especially in 3D and on the big screen. It was rich in colour and beautiful in composition. The main character is compelling and the story flows along in an engaging fashion which allows you toOne of the few adapted novels which actually rivals the book; in fact I enjoyed it more than the book. This is a truly spectacular film in the real sense of the word. It is breathtaking to watch, especially in 3D and on the big screen. It was rich in colour and beautiful in composition. The main character is compelling and the story flows along in an engaging fashion which allows you to almost taste his oncoming madness, his frustration and even boredom, without feeling them yourself. The film stays reasonably true to the novel, but omits some things and adds others. The result is, however, a beautiful work of art that left me, at least, feeling overwhelmed in the best possible way. Expand
  36. Jun 28, 2013
    Life of Pi is a rather odd movie. At times, I was completely wrapped up in this beautiful ocean, and at other times the movie just suspended my disbelief way to much. There's no way a whale just happened to hit a small boat in the ocean. Nope.
    The movie looks amazing, though. And the ending is very well done too.
  37. Apr 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm stuck in the middle when it comes to this movie. It is a cleverly written film using animals as a metaphor for people who experience an awful adventure. It is also boring at times because the film uses great visuals to excuse the slow pace.

I really wanted to love this film. However the story though, whilst interesting, is not anywhere near as amazing as it might make you believe. Also, it all came to an abrupt end once the adventure finished; I thought why spend so much time slowly telling a tale just to end it quickly once it's told !?

I did like how this film let's you the viewer choose which story to believe. That is the greatest aspect.

If you are unsure whether to see it I'd say yes. But don't expect it to be life defining and give you a new perspective on anything.
  38. Mar 16, 2013
    Hating myself for not checking this out in theaters. Purchased it on Blu-Ray today and I must say, It's the best looking film I have ever watched on Blu-ray. Literally watched the entire movie with my mouth open in complete awe. It's an emotional roller coaster ride. Easily one of the best films of 2012.
  39. Dec 20, 2013
    this is gotta be one of the best movies i have ever seen in terms of visual effect, from the start to finish on every frame the director keeps shocking you with this stunning CGI, and the story is really good actually.
    the narrator part wasn't to my liking but it didn't bother me, also the guy who plays the writer character in the movie Rafe Spall have poor acting skills, but he's secondary character in the movie.
    but after all the movie is amazing experience in term of visuals.
  40. Mar 16, 2013
    Visually stunning, Ang Lee creates a world that allows for amazement and thought provoking entertainment. Their are times during the film that are a bit slow, but overall Life of Pi is enjoyable.
  41. Mar 10, 2013
    Beautiful movie! Intelligent, funny, philosophical, visually beautiful beyond!! I had to ask at the end if the animals were real or not. Brought the book to life, loved it!
  42. Mar 14, 2013
    There's nothing like a good story and if Life of Pi absolutely has a good story. What it also has is top level effects work and some of the best 3D I have seen. The small problems it does have are in pacing, specifically when we switch back to the present day. Rafe Spall seems to be the problem here, his accent is all over the place and you can't wait to switch back to the fantastic storyThere's nothing like a good story and if Life of Pi absolutely has a good story. What it also has is top level effects work and some of the best 3D I have seen. The small problems it does have are in pacing, specifically when we switch back to the present day. Rafe Spall seems to be the problem here, his accent is all over the place and you can't wait to switch back to the fantastic story that is being told. Expand
  43. Mar 26, 2013
    Life of Pi was beautifully directed and certainly provided great visual entertainment. However the book was far more brutal and more impact-full than the movie I'm not sure why the studio chose to water down the content. I suppose just to keep it out of the rated "R" category but for me it took a lot away from the entire narrative to do so.
  44. Mar 23, 2013
    There was a time before this movie where i thought my greatest fear was falling off of a building; as it turns out i am more afraid of being in the middle of the ocean with a tiger. This movie was intense and i left it stressed out. Yes it was good but i'll never see it again.
  45. Mar 24, 2013
    A wonderful coming of age story of a young boy who is lost at sea with nothing but a dangerous tiger to keep him company. Special effects are exceptional, the acting was great. Life of Pi was not as magnificent as it was away from the 3D big screen.
  46. Dec 6, 2013
    I know I've given a bunch of crap about director Ang Lee, but while this review means jack-sh*t about the director's talent (cough, cough), in a sense, "Life of Pi" is his best movie. It's the only one of his movies I've ever found somewhat tolerable. Here are some Pros: The score is really good. You really dig deep into the character of Pi; both through his human self and through theI know I've given a bunch of crap about director Ang Lee, but while this review means jack-sh*t about the director's talent (cough, cough), in a sense, "Life of Pi" is his best movie. It's the only one of his movies I've ever found somewhat tolerable. Here are some Pros: The score is really good. You really dig deep into the character of Pi; both through his human self and through the tiger "Richard Parker". I found it interesting at one point in the movie how certain characters can relate to the animals through seen in the movie and how it really affects your take on which story do you believe. Now for the Cons: The movie is really slow. It can really put someone to sleep. The first third of the movie is really uninteresting and lacks that quality of going through the life of a character. The story being set around an Indian really makes the movie feel pretentious, mostly relating to his multiple belief system. That really threw me off. And finally the visuals were not that good in my opinion. I didn't feel like I was being taken on an epic 3-D adventure like "Avatar" or "Gravity". I just wasn't convinced that I was on an epic adventure. Overall, the 2nd half really weighs over the first half (in its slow way). Honestly, this movie is about a 5.5, so I give it a C+. Expand
  47. Mar 30, 2013
    This movie starts out slow, there is no doubt about that...and the beginning is rather muddled with some medium to poor script choices. But once the movie gets going, this build up makes you genuinely care for the character of Pi as you hear his incredible story. The acting and visual effects were fantastic, and the movie is just bigger than life. This movie is a once in a lifetime movie,This movie starts out slow, there is no doubt about that...and the beginning is rather muddled with some medium to poor script choices. But once the movie gets going, this build up makes you genuinely care for the character of Pi as you hear his incredible story. The acting and visual effects were fantastic, and the movie is just bigger than life. This movie is a once in a lifetime movie, it's so good any faults it has become irrelevant by the end. Expand
  48. Mar 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I fell asleep twice, boring and bad story. I have to ask someone what's the good in this movie? This movie is absolutely has no quality. I like the CGI effects actually... But the rest, absolutely terrible. Expand
  49. May 3, 2013
    Life of Pi is an amazing peace of visual and dialogue storytelling, cinematography, acting, and directing. Life of Pi is one of the most memorable films of 2012, and one of the most fun. Ang lee does a fantastic job directing on a visual and dramatic scale, I find this one of his best films he has made. Suraj Sharma doses a great job as Pi and really carries the film as the leading actorLife of Pi is an amazing peace of visual and dialogue storytelling, cinematography, acting, and directing. Life of Pi is one of the most memorable films of 2012, and one of the most fun. Ang lee does a fantastic job directing on a visual and dramatic scale, I find this one of his best films he has made. Suraj Sharma doses a great job as Pi and really carries the film as the leading actor and does a amazing job with showing real emotion with his character. The one drawback with the fill is that most of this happens on a bout at times the setting can drag on but I was always entertained with the visuals and the tension between the animals and Pi. Over all this is a wonderful film!!! Expand
  50. May 28, 2013
    Master Director Ang Lee and Cinematographer Claudio Miranda deliver the most visually-stunning, beautiful film since...Never. Never has there been such a beautiful, fantastically written picture that draws both the eyes and the heart of its audience. While some compare this film to James Cameron's Avatar, I completely disagree. Life of Pi excels in the one area where Avatar was lacking: ItMaster Director Ang Lee and Cinematographer Claudio Miranda deliver the most visually-stunning, beautiful film since...Never. Never has there been such a beautiful, fantastically written picture that draws both the eyes and the heart of its audience. While some compare this film to James Cameron's Avatar, I completely disagree. Life of Pi excels in the one area where Avatar was lacking: It has a plot. Another clear difference is Pi's sheer beauty. The fact that Life of Pi's visuals are more believable than Avatars' in addition to its lack of bloody war scenes, clearly makes it the most gorgeous picture ever made. Expand
  51. Nov 26, 2014
    I didn't see this movie till it came on tv in 2014, I am so glad I didn't waste a dollar on it. it was so boring till he fell over board and was trapped on a lifeboat and then it just seemed to be even more boring, I turned it off.
  52. Jul 20, 2013
    I must say a word about fear. It is life's only true opponent. Only fear can defeat life. It is a clever, treacherous adversary, how well I know. It has no decency, respects no law or convention, shows no mercy. It goes for your weakest spot, which it finds with unnerving ease. It begins in your mind, always so you must fight hard to express it. You must fight hard to shine the light ofI must say a word about fear. It is life's only true opponent. Only fear can defeat life. It is a clever, treacherous adversary, how well I know. It has no decency, respects no law or convention, shows no mercy. It goes for your weakest spot, which it finds with unnerving ease. It begins in your mind, always so you must fight hard to express it. You must fight hard to shine the light of words upon it. Because if you don't, if your fear becomes a wordless darkness that you avoid, perhaps even manage to forget, you open yourself to further attacks of fear because you never truly fought the opponent who defeated you. Expand
  53. Jul 30, 2013
    It is a GREeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeAT Movie
    one of the best of 2012
  54. Aug 3, 2013
    I see a lot of reviews attacking the movie on the assumption that the writers are trying to make you believe in god. The symbolism of the movie is obviously lost on such viewers. I'm not very religious or spiritual, but I still found this movie to be incredibly compelling on a introspective level. Even if you don't care about spirituality (or lack of), the movie still invokes strongI see a lot of reviews attacking the movie on the assumption that the writers are trying to make you believe in god. The symbolism of the movie is obviously lost on such viewers. I'm not very religious or spiritual, but I still found this movie to be incredibly compelling on a introspective level. Even if you don't care about spirituality (or lack of), the movie still invokes strong emotions from displaying the triumph of the human spirit. A very powerful movie indeed. Expand
  55. Aug 5, 2013
    Loved it from the start to the end. I recommend it to every one!

Loved it from the start to the end. I recommend it to every one!

What I really like about the movie is the original story and the character development. After the movie you keep on thinking about it, what I really like. It's based upon a book, which I read (after I saw the movie). The movie is well based on the book, although (like in all the movies based upon books) they don't put the 'details' into it. Which seems to very hard to really put all the 'details' in it.

Watch it!
  56. Sep 11, 2013
    I liked this movie alot. I really enjoyed the acting and all the characters. The setting is depressing at times, but the overall meaning and symbolism is amazing. I recommend this movie.
  57. Dec 8, 2013
    This movie was boring. There is no other way to put it. And where we're the religious undertones people are talking about? I must have fallen asleep.This is a movie I leave on my tv so I can fall asleep. Maybe you had to see it in the theater because at home at night you will nod off. This movie was done before and it was called castaway with Tom Hanks.
  58. Dec 17, 2013
    The directing of this movie is amazing. The visuals and the scenes are so realistic. Amazing Ang Lee! So many complications and especially the climax!
  59. Dec 13, 2013
    Life of Pi is a wonderfully delivered adaptation of Yann Martel's novel, enriched with gorgeous visuals, strong performances and an emotionally moving story.
  60. Mar 3, 2014
    The CGI is obviously amazing but everything else doesn't really match the technology, its structure and the narrative being its main downpoints. The religion aspect just seemed stapled on to give the film deeper meaning but just comes off as being rather pretentious. If it were more coherently explored, it would've lifted the film considerably. Overall, all style and not so much substance.
  61. May 2, 2014
    With so much to talk about, like the stunning visuals, gorgeous cinematography, a good performance by Suraj Sharma, and an interesting sad story of survival, that makes us guess at the end, What can go wrong? Well the truth is that the movie is pretty solid, but somehow it deepens so much into the character, and leaves the audience by themselves, and it is unable to connect with the film.
  62. Apr 19, 2014
    The visual effects were actually pretty good but the movie is stupid .The movie is long and there is nothing spectacular in the movie.The story is really boring almost fall asleep during the movie.The critics are too gentle with the movie.
  63. Dec 26, 2014
    Just magnificent, I love it. One of the Ang Lee's best motion pictures to date. "Life of Pi" is a 3-D movie with a well constructed storytelling, beautiful imagery and fantastic special effects.
  64. May 18, 2014
    I loved this movie and I didn't think I would. When people told me it was amazing I wasn't believing them because I thought it would have been boring with pretty much only 1 actor for most of the movie, but I was wrong. It was amazing the acting was great and an amazing storyline from beginning to end. The special effects are what made the movie what it is. Knowing that the tiger was allI loved this movie and I didn't think I would. When people told me it was amazing I wasn't believing them because I thought it would have been boring with pretty much only 1 actor for most of the movie, but I was wrong. It was amazing the acting was great and an amazing storyline from beginning to end. The special effects are what made the movie what it is. Knowing that the tiger was all computer animated was awesome as he looked so real. Also a couple other really cool scenes which special effects made awesome. A deserving winner of the Oscar for best special effects. Expand
  65. Nov 9, 2014
  66. Jan 16, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I went to see ''Life of Pi'' at the cinema, I was expecting a fairly straightforward but intruiging story; Man on ship transporting tiger gets caught in storm, ship sinks and man and tiger have to share a lifeboat together in order to survive. I left the cinema, definitely intruiged by what I had seen, but also kind of wishing that it had just been the fairly simple story that I had expected it to be..
    There's no denying that this is a beautiful and beautifully filmed piece of cinema. Right from the simple but effective opening of the animals at the zoo, I found myself drawn into things. The narrative is well scripted, easy to follow and interesting.
    Shame that the same could not be said of the overblown plot. Though it is always an interesting watch, scenes in the Life of Pi may well leave you asking; What was all that about? What was the need for that? It's not until Pi has finished telling his story at the end of the film that one can even begin to try and make sense of it. And even then, I was still a tad confused. Morally, this is a film with religious undertones, that puts the very biggest questions of belief under the spotlight. It took me a while to work that one out...!
    Another thing I found irritating about the film was the over the top and not always realistic CGI; the storm, the whale scene, the island of meerkats..... all a bit OTT. But no criticisms of the animation on the main star of the film, the tiger, which has been brilliantly recreated.
    So to sum up; An intruiging film and beautiful film, which unnecesarily over-complicates itself graphically and in it's storyline.
  67. Nov 13, 2014
    "Life of Pi" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

The Good: Visually stunning and impressive considering that the cast mostly consists of one boy and a CGI tiger. For me though, the better parts of the film occur before he becomes stranded. The scenes of him growing up and his relationship with his family was very well done. The Bad: I didn't really enjoy the ending very much. The author
    "Life of Pi" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

The Bad: I didn't really enjoy the ending very much. The author of the novel (who did like the film) has stated that he intended it to be more ambiguous. I think that would have made a far better ending.

1. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Dec 17, 2012
    To produce a coherent film from Martel's tricky novel would be achievement enough, but Ang Lee has extracted something beautiful, wise and, at times, miraculous.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 26, 2012
    Life of Pi, at its best, celebrates the idiosyncratic wonders and dangers of raw, ravaging nature, and Lee wrings more than enough meaning from the excitement of that spectacle; we need nothing higher. [26 Nov.2012, p.86]
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Mueller
    Nov 25, 2012
    A riot of saturated colour and delirious imagination, Ang Lee's adap radiates spirituality. But it's also a simple, thrilling and gently uplifting tale of a boy, a boat and a tiger. Take the plunge.