Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: November 21, 2012
7.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 803 Ratings
Watch Now
BroyaxJan 13, 2017
C'est l'histoire d'un petit gars et d'un gros tigre sur un bateau, devinez qui tombe à l'eau... et c'est pas des conneries, Laurel l'Indien et Hardy le tigre traversent le pacifique sur un canot, croisent des poissons volants, une baleine,C'est l'histoire d'un petit gars et d'un gros tigre sur un bateau, devinez qui tombe à l'eau... et c'est pas des conneries, Laurel l'Indien et Hardy le tigre traversent le pacifique sur un canot, croisent des poissons volants, une baleine, des dauphins et des méduses fluorescentes bleues au clair de lune. Et même que pour un peu le tigre part boulotter des requins (parce qu'il a faim, c'est quand même 5 kilos de barbaque par jour, ce bestiau).

Puis éventuellement, rebondissement et révélation à la fin du film : fable et tour de passe-passe, morale à deux francs cinquante incluse (mais ça, c'est la "surprise") sur fond bien entendu de métaphore allégorico-religieuse puisque Laurel l'indien pratique couramment toutes les croyances existantes. Je crois qu'il a bu trop d'eau de mer le pauvre garçon mais passons.

Profitant de ses superbes effets numériques, le film est très esthétique et agréablement réalisé, exhale de la "poésie" à chaque plan ou presque mais comme trop souvent chez Ang Lee, il se laisse aussi traîner en longueurs indésirables où sa putain de "poésie" commence à nous les briser menues.

On se sent finalement floué aussi bien au niveau allégorique qu'au niveau hautement improbable de la pseudo-amitié entre un Indien végétarien -qui s'excuse d'avoir buté un thon- et un tigre du bengale qui s'est mis au Findus. L'Odyssée de Pi est une espèce de "curiosité" qui se fout gentiment du monde et se noie dans sa propre prétention.
SEROJAug 29, 2016
A movie full of great visuals, good acting, interesting plot and a deep message for everyone out there. I enjoyed it and probably will watch it again! Great,great movie
SpangleAug 10, 2016
Life of Pi is an undeniably good film that is certainly not as good as its visuals. Those special effects when Pi is in the middle of the ocean are absolutely stunning and really steal the show. The plot is imaginative, emotional, and aLife of Pi is an undeniably good film that is certainly not as good as its visuals. Those special effects when Pi is in the middle of the ocean are absolutely stunning and really steal the show. The plot is imaginative, emotional, and a powerful look at human survival. That said, Life of Pi is not without its problems. The beginning, with Pi's backstory and how they get into the story, is not great. None of it is wrapped up by the end anyways and it ultimately just feels like filler because Ang Lee could not figure out another way to jump into the story. If it started with brief backstory on the boy, his family, his girl, and the zoo, then it would be better. Instead, we get the entire etymology of his name. Additionally, towards the middle, the ocean parts do drag a bit in spots. At a certain point, you want him to get saved just so we can get on with proceedings. That said, Life of P is a pretty impressive film, particularly visually. I can only imagine seeing this one in 3D, it had to have been a spectacular viewing experience. Expand
BlancheJun 24, 2016
Aesthetically one of the most stunning, gorgeous films I've ever seen. The visual representation of this film was nothing short of amazing. A beautiful film weighted with a gripping, very well told story which made me nearly tear up at times.Aesthetically one of the most stunning, gorgeous films I've ever seen. The visual representation of this film was nothing short of amazing. A beautiful film weighted with a gripping, very well told story which made me nearly tear up at times. The emotion captured in the acting felt raw and real, a truly fantastic film that was completely different from the genres I usually watch. Expand
NShep53May 29, 2016
Life of Pi is a beautiful piece of filmmaking and it proves without a shadow of a doubt that Ang Lee is one of the best directors of our time. Just a perfect visual story with compelling characters and great acting. It's what James Cameron'sLife of Pi is a beautiful piece of filmmaking and it proves without a shadow of a doubt that Ang Lee is one of the best directors of our time. Just a perfect visual story with compelling characters and great acting. It's what James Cameron's Avatar should have been. Expand
imthenoobMay 18, 2016
Visually, It is a stunning life but that is not why I would recommend it. I recommend it for the acting and the story. The story is so compelling and Irrfan Khan as Pi, the title character as an adult telling his story to a writer, is simplyVisually, It is a stunning life but that is not why I would recommend it. I recommend it for the acting and the story. The story is so compelling and Irrfan Khan as Pi, the title character as an adult telling his story to a writer, is simply fantastic. Expand
EpicLadySpongeApr 15, 2016
Life of Pi isn't what you're thinking (except if you're thinking what I'm thinking), Life of Pi is more like the Life of Everything, not just Pi and that's how I began to enjoy Life of Pi without any interruptions.
FolderMathMar 20, 2016
OK, this is a very beautiful and breathtaking movie. I have to admit, even though I am a fan of the book, that the cinematic experience did get very boring at times. The island was beautifully translated from the book, which already had aOK, this is a very beautiful and breathtaking movie. I have to admit, even though I am a fan of the book, that the cinematic experience did get very boring at times. The island was beautifully translated from the book, which already had a weird plot. I could have used better acting from young Pi, but the one on the boat was amazing. Very emotional performance. Expand
csw12Jan 23, 2016
Life of Pi is a marvelous film that is brought to life with brilliant effects. Ang Lee has created a visual triumph mixed with mythical storytelling that is pushing perfection.
MowhaughJan 16, 2016
Incredible moment. This is the kind of film you're still thinking of hours after, the kind you really wake up from. Ang Lee brings to the screen a dreamlike world, which in fact, is not really. The movie takes the
time to introduce the
time to introduce the storyline, the characters. We follow through beautiful landscapes the shifts and events of our protagonist(s). But after all, more than just a incredible trip for your senses, it's above all one for your mind. It shows hints and references about what it's really about. You can watch the movie two times, the second time will be a totally different experience. Finally, the film perfectly deals with religion, well considered, which takes a real place in the story. Ang Lee had one tricky mission : to adapt for the screen Yann Martel's novel. He nailed it, and did way more...
BarneyOnMTJan 5, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: It looks genuinely amazing and the whole film is intriguing and mysterious. Plus the acting is a genuinely incredible sight.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: After about 20 minutes those novelties wear thin and you're left with a film where little happens - you can only do so much with a tiger and a boy on a boat after all
VERDICT: A film that technically achieves on many levels, but isn't actually particularly engaging, emotional or memorable: 'Life of pi' is a huge disapointment.
MegaWotiNov 20, 2015
I loved this movie a lot. Great effects, awesome story and also really good actors. Young and not experienced. Impressive to be in a movie like this, then. A straight 10. Doesn't deserve anything else. That's just how it should be. :)
WJSNov 6, 2015
Spectacular! Ang Lee has proven himself to be one of the great directors with this masterpiece. Visually exciting (especially in 3D) and thought provoking, it's well worth a look
toronto905Sep 28, 2015
Legendary, groundbreaking movie! A spiritual, colourful, imaginative, intelligent, 3D adaptation of a complex, unfilmable novel of the same name. Ang Lee's Life of Pi successfully aces the near impossible! It's such a beautiful story of aLegendary, groundbreaking movie! A spiritual, colourful, imaginative, intelligent, 3D adaptation of a complex, unfilmable novel of the same name. Ang Lee's Life of Pi successfully aces the near impossible! It's such a beautiful story of a spiritual Indian teen's survival story that's also heart touching and emotionally rewarding as his family is killed and as the hours stretch into days which stretch into weeks and later months, Pi learns how to form a relationship with the tiger so both can survive. It truly pushes the boundaries of 3D visual effects, green screen and computer generated imagery and exceeding what they are capable of. Great acting, soundtracks and a colourful and realistic animation effort combine to bring this book to life! I'm proud as to how Ang waited for 3D visual effects to evolve so he could make this film as emotional, adventurous. Visually colourful, and religiously musical so the themes of Adventure, discovery and magical fantasy attract the audience. Even if the ending is not that ambiguous, it overall sticks very well to the book! Expand
TrilobiteGAug 31, 2015
An outstanding visual and emotional experience directed by Ang Lee but it has that essence of Wes Anderson to it which was thoroughly enjoyable. A wonderful story told, a bit too long, but makes it up through an amazing storytelling adventure.
launchpad2132Jun 5, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For what it is worth, I thought they did pretty good. It had its moments, the camera quality was some of the best ever, the animation of the animals was mind blowing. But when it comes down to it, the movie itself was in impossible mission. To me at least, the book was unadaptable, and they almost pulled it off. But between missing some of the best moments of the book, and weird time skips that happened in the book I just couldn't give this movie higher then a six. Also I feel that the movie never got into Pi's struggle, it had a few scene with him crying and starving, but it never had the same feel and unbelievable struggle that the book had. All in all it was an impossible mission, but they did good with what they had. Expand
sc0TTiMay 4, 2015
Rests entirely on the visual experience. There isn't anything else to it. I'm very patient with films, but felt the urge to skip ahead since I simply didn't care about the main character, and there was no story progression.
VinceRocks123Apr 17, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A powerful and tense ride that tends to have you grasping to faith, its like a legendary new form of art that is full of visual decor and almost perfect CGI effects, a film thats like a poem about never losing hope Life of Pi will go down as a movie that will question whether if you believe there is hope, its one of those books that brings tragedy and miracles and a surprise ending.

Ang Lee takes the director chair and gives us a movie every family will love, its an adventure unlike any other, its a movie that should also be regarded religiously by every man, christian, jew, muslim and hindu.
homer4presidentMar 13, 2015
If you don't enjoy the visual, heartfelt, cinematic achievement, then you probably missed out. The cinematography was mind blowing beautiful. One of those films that at times leaves you totally breathless.
johnbobs1Jan 16, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I went to see ''Life of Pi'' at the cinema, I was expecting a fairly straightforward but intruiging story; Man on ship transporting tiger gets caught in storm, ship sinks and man and tiger have to share a lifeboat together in order to survive. I left the cinema, definitely intruiged by what I had seen, but also kind of wishing that it had just been the fairly simple story that I had expected it to be..
There's no denying that this is a beautiful and beautifully filmed piece of cinema. Right from the simple but effective opening of the animals at the zoo, I found myself drawn into things. The narrative is well scripted, easy to follow and interesting.
Shame that the same could not be said of the overblown plot. Though it is always an interesting watch, scenes in the Life of Pi may well leave you asking; What was all that about? What was the need for that? It's not until Pi has finished telling his story at the end of the film that one can even begin to try and make sense of it. And even then, I was still a tad confused. Morally, this is a film with religious undertones, that puts the very biggest questions of belief under the spotlight. It took me a while to work that one out...!
Another thing I found irritating about the film was the over the top and not always realistic CGI; the storm, the whale scene, the island of meerkats..... all a bit OTT. But no criticisms of the animation on the main star of the film, the tiger, which has been brilliantly recreated.
So to sum up; An intruiging film and beautiful film, which unnecesarily over-complicates itself graphically and in it's storyline.
diogomendesDec 26, 2014
Just magnificent, I love it. One of the Ang Lee's best motion pictures to date. "Life of Pi" is a 3-D movie with a well constructed storytelling, beautiful imagery and fantastic special effects.
dougaussieNov 26, 2014
I didn't see this movie till it came on tv in 2014, I am so glad I didn't waste a dollar on it. it was so boring till he fell over board and was trapped on a lifeboat and then it just seemed to be even more boring, I turned it off.
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"Life of Pi" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

"Life of Pi" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

The Good: Visually stunning and impressive considering that the cast mostly consists of one boy and a CGI tiger. For me though, the better parts of the film occur before he becomes stranded. The scenes of him growing up and his relationship with his family was very well done.

The Bad: I didn't really enjoy the ending very much. The author of the novel (who did like the film) has stated that he intended it to be more ambiguous. I think that would have made a far better ending.
vikesh2206Nov 9, 2014
Life of Pi is a wonderfully delivered adaptation of Yann Martel's novel, enriched with gorgeous visuals, strong performances and an emotionally moving story.
SirLouenAug 20, 2014
Legendary movie 10/10. And like all the best movies ever, is based on a book. But considering not reading the book, the film itself demonstrates something about faith. Big message about religion. If you are devote, you may probably feel atLegendary movie 10/10. And like all the best movies ever, is based on a book. But considering not reading the book, the film itself demonstrates something about faith. Big message about religion. If you are devote, you may probably feel at some point offended... just because it is flat and direct attack to all religions worldwide (or could be interpreted like so). Expand
OneWhoKnows666May 25, 2014
Before I decided to watch this movie I was extremely concerned that the plot involving a tiger in a small boat with a person in the ocean seemed extremely ludicrous, moronic and cartoonish! But my wife wanted to watch it so I overcame myBefore I decided to watch this movie I was extremely concerned that the plot involving a tiger in a small boat with a person in the ocean seemed extremely ludicrous, moronic and cartoonish! But my wife wanted to watch it so I overcame my opinion of the plot and decided to give the movie a chance in my viewpoint!
After reaching the middle of the movie it took an immense amount of stamina to continue viewing a plot that most 7 year old children would find absurdly foolish. The incredibly slow stretch of this ambiguous story would put most adults to sleep half way through this movie! Also the character of the tiger was a bit more interesting than his human friend! If you have problems getting to sleep at night do not consider Lorazepam! Just begin this incredibly mind numbing movie and your mind will crash into a marvelous state of rest. This movie was nothing but indistinguishable language and complete abandonment of thought process because no brain matter has to be used to follow a plotless movie!
Viper8787May 18, 2014
I loved this movie and I didn't think I would. When people told me it was amazing I wasn't believing them because I thought it would have been boring with pretty much only 1 actor for most of the movie, but I was wrong. It was amazing theI loved this movie and I didn't think I would. When people told me it was amazing I wasn't believing them because I thought it would have been boring with pretty much only 1 actor for most of the movie, but I was wrong. It was amazing the acting was great and an amazing storyline from beginning to end. The special effects are what made the movie what it is. Knowing that the tiger was all computer animated was awesome as he looked so real. Also a couple other really cool scenes which special effects made awesome. A deserving winner of the Oscar for best special effects. Expand
RamonGuerreroMay 2, 2014
With so much to talk about, like the stunning visuals, gorgeous cinematography, a good performance by Suraj Sharma, and an interesting sad story of survival, that makes us guess at the end, What can go wrong? Well the truth is that the movieWith so much to talk about, like the stunning visuals, gorgeous cinematography, a good performance by Suraj Sharma, and an interesting sad story of survival, that makes us guess at the end, What can go wrong? Well the truth is that the movie is pretty solid, but somehow it deepens so much into the character, and leaves the audience by themselves, and it is unable to connect with the film. Expand
Meth-dudeApr 19, 2014
The visual effects were actually pretty good but the movie is stupid .The movie is long and there is nothing spectacular in the movie.The story is really boring almost fall asleep during the movie.The critics are too gentle with the movie.
KayakMar 3, 2014
The CGI is obviously amazing but everything else doesn't really match the technology, its structure and the narrative being its main downpoints. The religion aspect just seemed stapled on to give the film deeper meaning but just comes off asThe CGI is obviously amazing but everything else doesn't really match the technology, its structure and the narrative being its main downpoints. The religion aspect just seemed stapled on to give the film deeper meaning but just comes off as being rather pretentious. If it were more coherently explored, it would've lifted the film considerably. Overall, all style and not so much substance. Expand