7.8

1. Jan 28, 2013
    I went into this movie without knowing anything about it, one word sums it up: beautiful. The story was very good and just the right amount of heartwarming, the acting was also good. But the real star of the show here was the effects, which were completely out of this world, very vibrant colours really brightening the screen and brought to life in breathtaking 3D, which is the only way toI went into this movie without knowing anything about it, one word sums it up: beautiful. The story was very good and just the right amount of heartwarming, the acting was also good. But the real star of the show here was the effects, which were completely out of this world, very vibrant colours really brightening the screen and brought to life in breathtaking 3D, which is the only way to watch this film and truly appreciate it. The soundtrack is forgetful, but the story and visuals are most definitely not. It was hard to watch at times, funny and sad, I really feel strongly for Richard Parker, perhaps the star of the show. Amazing, 90/100. Expand
  2. Apr 13, 2013
    how did argo win best picture instead of this? Life of Pi is waaaaay better. Featuring beautiful effects, character relationships you can care about, and an amazing survival story, I feel that you cannot go wrong with this film.
  3. Jan 24, 2013
    Undeniably almost flawless, Life of Pi (2012) is a melting pot of entertainment formula. This film is the one to beat in cinematography and visual effects. Excellently created, magically translated for the silver screen, thought-provoking.

movienotesbook.blogspot.com
  4. Zal
    Jan 4, 2013
    This film blew me away. Everything from the culture to the spiritualism to the story of survival were told expertly. I think the best thing about this movie is that it's universal. It's a story about human nature told through the experiences of an Indian boy and a tiger lost at sea. I loved every single moment of this movie and I hope to see it again soon.
  5. Jan 26, 2013
    One of the most gorgeous and imaginative films I have seen in a long time. It should get the Academy Award for best director for Ang Lee for the remarkable job he did with a very challenging subject. I liked just about everything about this film except the message, but, hey, you can't have everything.
  6. Nov 24, 2012
    Certainly the most beautiful film of 2012 while not sacrificing emotional propulsion and riveting storytelling, 'Life of Pi' marks a successful voyage into 3D for director Ang Lee that is filled with awe and wonder. It faintly reminds me of another highly-visceral, faith-based movie from 2011, 'The Tree of Life' and I'm glad to say that 'Pi' is the more accessible and enjoyable film. TheCertainly the most beautiful film of 2012 while not sacrificing emotional propulsion and riveting storytelling, 'Life of Pi' marks a successful voyage into 3D for director Ang Lee that is filled with awe and wonder. It faintly reminds me of another highly-visceral, faith-based movie from 2011, 'The Tree of Life' and I'm glad to say that 'Pi' is the more accessible and enjoyable film. The colors pop, the tale is emotive and equal parts entertaining, the effects are seamless, and it features a roaring tiger by the name of Richard Parker. So, basically, it should please all audiences. I will admit, the film is stunted slightly by bits of occassional flimsy dialogue and an attention placed more on effect than religious contemplation. Otherwise, 'Life of Pi' is a jaw-dropping, life-affriming moviegoing experience that stands as one of the best films of the year, hands down. Expand
  7. Jan 18, 2013
    The plot kept me engage and the visual effects lived up to the hype. Was puzzled why many people told me the it was too long. Luckily that didn't stop me from going. Then again I was a fan of Slumdog Millionaire, not sure if that has anything to do with it. Bottom line, loved it.
  8. Dec 4, 2012
    The most compelling movie of 2012. Life of Pi dares to cross boundaries in religious exploration, while remaining visually stimulating and action-packed. It transcendes genre and could easily be enjoyed by any audience. Outstanding performances by all cast and crew. If this film doesn't sweep award season then I have no faith left in the film industry.
  9. Dec 12, 2012
    Even if this movie starts really slowly, the main story is awesome. It does what only a few recent movies does: it teaches us a lesson about life and friendship. It's great to see a movie that isn't trying to lean towards the action genre for once! I recommend it!
  10. Jan 4, 2013
    This film is without a doubt the most beautiful release of the past months, every still could pass as a work of art, perhaps due to Ang Lee's masterful manipulation of light to create atmosphere. Furthermore the production team have done a spectacular job ensuring that the (very impressive) special effects heighten the drama rather than distracting. This film is pulled off with precision.This film is without a doubt the most beautiful release of the past months, every still could pass as a work of art, perhaps due to Ang Lee's masterful manipulation of light to create atmosphere. Furthermore the production team have done a spectacular job ensuring that the (very impressive) special effects heighten the drama rather than distracting. This film is pulled off with precision.

On the story side of things Life of Pi is a little on the over-sentimental side of things, and to an extent I also find the framed narrative bitty and excessive. (I would have preferred to stumble on the philosophical questions myself than have them shoved in my face! - also if the film had been linear I believe it would have had more direction?) But that is a minor complaint, and the action on the boat grips the viewer right to the dying moments. The acting is very convincing, especially seeing as the animals to whom Pi is supposed to be reacting are (exquisitely done) CGI, and obviously therefore weren't there during filming!
    A terrific job, and a must see film.
  11. Jan 22, 2013
    Storyline: Pi Patel (Suraj Sharma) is a young Indian boy living in his fathers zoo. He has a great imagination and is always seeking out new meanings he thinks will give him the ultimate truth in religion but his father has financial problems so the board a ship with the animals and head for Canada but the ship hits heavy weather and an adventure begins.

Acting: This film had no weak

Acting: This film had no weak points but if there was one thing where it could have been improved on was with the cast but perhaps it's not a valid fault as there was a certain charm that went with the role of Pi as played by Suraj Sharma. OK I just looked and see it's his first acting role so..... Anyway, this also had Irrfan Khan who was also not bad but I have seen much better from him. The rest of the main cast were CG animals and they were astounding.

Direction: Ang Lee did well and his film deserves all 11 nods from the Acadamy. Where this film betters Avatar is that it deals with our own planet and is all there in the real world to compare this with. His creation was as perfect as can be with our current technology (I do 3D CG) today.

Production: $120 million for this visual delight sounds about right. I could see where the money was spent and to me thats what counts. I don't know where reality and CG are mixed and that's so important. The tiger was stunning it was so good. It's the best lifelike animal I've ever seen and hope others will strive for this type of detail in future. The make-up was also awesome and again was realistic.

Conclusion: While this is a great story that transferred well to the screen it could have been even better. Like if you were to read the script for this and Castaway this would win but Castaway was told a bit better, know what I mean? Because of the cinematography and sound on this film it is almost perfect. Highly Recommended Score: 8.5/10
  12. Jan 24, 2013
    Life of Pi is a visually stunning film with a beautiful story about an unlikely partnership between a boy and a tiger. Ang Lee directed this gorgeous film, and as soon as I discovered he was making this film I knew this was going to be a winner. Lee has always been able to make emotional and innocent films; for example films like Brokeback Mountain and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon haveLife of Pi is a visually stunning film with a beautiful story about an unlikely partnership between a boy and a tiger. Ang Lee directed this gorgeous film, and as soon as I discovered he was making this film I knew this was going to be a winner. Lee has always been able to make emotional and innocent films; for example films like Brokeback Mountain and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon have been a huge influence in cinema and have shown me what a great director he is. This new film has shown that he is able to go places he has never gone before as a filmmaker, and it really is a movie that makes you look at life in a completely different way. This movie has themes that stretch from the belief in a higher power, survival when there seems to be no hope, and how our challenges in life will test us. This movie has some brilliant character development; as we almost instantly love Pi and we see how this great experience changes him. Lee gets the audience to quickly relate to Pi and feels sympathy for him at even the worst times. Pi is that kind of protagonist that an audience can relate to and really enjoy, and he is one of the main reasons that this movie works so well. His bond with Richard Parker (which is the name of the tiger) is truly a beautiful thing and shows how without each other, neither of them would've survived. Lee really makes us feel like we are stranded in the ocean with them, and it makes us feel the same dangers that Pi feels. Ang Lee could've take the novel written by Yann Martel and made it a huge mess, but luckily thanks to his talents as a director he was able to make an emotionally satisfying and beautiful movie. This is that kind of film that really makes you think about what kind of challenges our life has gone through, and how they will shape the rest of our life. This movie is a great experience, and really is one of those movies that could change your life. Expand
  13. Jul 28, 2013
    A great movie with some beautiful scenery. It starts off very slowly but once the story really gets going things get interesting. The story is told by an older Pi about his past which breaks up the story and slows down the action, it could have been better with out that.
  14. BKM
    Dec 16, 2012
    Ang Lee's visually dazzling film is so effective because it can be enjoyed on various levels. It's an engrossing survival story, an eye popping parable and an examination of faith, fate, God and the connections between man, nature, life and death. It runs a bit too long and doesn't evoke as strong an emotional response as it could have given the subject matter, but it's still anAng Lee's visually dazzling film is so effective because it can be enjoyed on various levels. It's an engrossing survival story, an eye popping parable and an examination of faith, fate, God and the connections between man, nature, life and death. It runs a bit too long and doesn't evoke as strong an emotional response as it could have given the subject matter, but it's still an engrossing and beautiful film that chooses not to provide any clear cut answers. Expand
  15. Lyn
    Dec 30, 2012
    Beautifully, brilliantly filmed, and I gave it an extra point for its faithfulness to the novel. At the same time, I felt that it was lacking in something ... heart, I think, perhaps because the young actor was not up to the huge task. Think of a young actor's tour de force -- say, Christian Bale in "Empire of the Sun." This fellow doesn't quite measure up to that.
  16. Apr 29, 2013
    Pretentious and forcefull attempt to make you belive in god.
    Zero plot qualities, still, great visuals and awesome work with the tiger, not worth it.
  17. Jan 9, 2013
    This movie is extraordinary. The effects, the plot, the acting, the drama, the humor, "the everything" is perfect. To put this book on the big screen is a difficult task but Ang Lee tried and he succeeded. I recommend this movie to every living soul out there!
  18. Dec 28, 2012
    This isn't your average movie. This movie isn't something I normally would go Watch. That is why I just needed to share my experience with all of you, so you also can go and Watch this great movie and experience something new. The movie starts out a bit slow and I wished that I had never put my foot in that Cinema at the begging. As the movie progressed I got more and more excited aboutThis isn't your average movie. This movie isn't something I normally would go Watch. That is why I just needed to share my experience with all of you, so you also can go and Watch this great movie and experience something new. The movie starts out a bit slow and I wished that I had never put my foot in that Cinema at the begging. As the movie progressed I got more and more excited about how Pi develops on his amazing journey for the most precious thing that he owns - his life, even though he struggles to do so. The movie moved me so much emotionally that I almost dropped a tear (I know, I know, not very Manly). The Visuals are also worth mentioning, everything feels vibrant, alive and real. IF you're a blood hungering action fan or a comedy fan WHO loves to laugh then you should still go see this masterpiece. I'm giving this the highest rating because how it made me feel, it made me feel that life is the greatest thing we have been given and we should remember that, when we're feeling that life giving us a hard time. Expand
  19. Feb 6, 2013
    I initially did not want to see this film as I thought I would be bored. However, I went and caught the 3D edition and thought it was one of the best films of the year. The cinematograhpy alone is worth the price of admission. The 3D enhances instead of detracting as it often does. I thought it got a little long at sea but that was a minor issue compared to the excellent philosophicalI initially did not want to see this film as I thought I would be bored. However, I went and caught the 3D edition and thought it was one of the best films of the year. The cinematograhpy alone is worth the price of admission. The 3D enhances instead of detracting as it often does. I thought it got a little long at sea but that was a minor issue compared to the excellent philosophical questions raised and the brilliant film making. I would not put it in my top five but it definitely makes mytop ten. One of the big surprises for me in 2012. Expand
  20. Nov 23, 2012
    I have not read the book. Therefore, I went into the theater not expecting anything. I came out stunned. What a beautiful film. It is a masterpiece and it is my favorite movie of the year so far. Life of Pi is visually breath-taking. It is definitely an adventure with much symbolism and you will leave the theater speechless. What a rewarding film. One of the most enjoyable experiences II have not read the book. Therefore, I went into the theater not expecting anything. I came out stunned. What a beautiful film. It is a masterpiece and it is my favorite movie of the year so far. Life of Pi is visually breath-taking. It is definitely an adventure with much symbolism and you will leave the theater speechless. What a rewarding film. One of the most enjoyable experiences I have had at a theater for a long time. Ang Lee is a master. Spectacular! Expand
  21. Jan 9, 2013
    This film has got some awesome special effects, maybe better than the Hobbit and Avatar? It was a very entertaining movie, it is definitely worth a trip to the cinema.
  22. Nov 22, 2012
    This was my favorite movie so far this year. While it may not convince you that God does exists it certainly tells a riveting allegorical (or possible allegorical) tale of survival. The music and visuals are sublime and there are moments of real emotional turmoil through the film and exceptional moments of hope. It may not be for everyone but i was certainly willing to go along for theThis was my favorite movie so far this year. While it may not convince you that God does exists it certainly tells a riveting allegorical (or possible allegorical) tale of survival. The music and visuals are sublime and there are moments of real emotional turmoil through the film and exceptional moments of hope. It may not be for everyone but i was certainly willing to go along for the spiritual and philosophical ride. Expand
  23. Nov 21, 2012
    Life of Pi and the Utility of Religion:

It will be fascinating to hear the discussions about spirituality following the film Life of Pi, directed by Ang Lee and based on Yann Martel
  24. Jan 7, 2013
    Life of Pi might well be the most beautiful picture of this year. Ang Lee effectively uses 3D to tell a story that most people consider impossible to put on film. It works, and it looks amazing. My only complain is, that looking for the films substance, I am grabbing thin air. Life of Pi is a amazing adventure, but as a spiritual journey it fails to really touch me. Still, it's fantasticLife of Pi might well be the most beautiful picture of this year. Ang Lee effectively uses 3D to tell a story that most people consider impossible to put on film. It works, and it looks amazing. My only complain is, that looking for the films substance, I am grabbing thin air. Life of Pi is a amazing adventure, but as a spiritual journey it fails to really touch me. Still, it's fantastic enough to recommend it generally. Expand
  25. Jan 26, 2013
    i loved this movie, when you get out and you are in shock ,well that doesn't happen that much, i saw it in 3D it was well worth it, i highly recommed it and well a definite must see.
  26. Nov 24, 2012
    My wife had read the book (twice, she told me after we saw the movie last night, and those who saw "Sixth Sense" will realize why) and insisted on seeing the movie, although I was somewhat less enthusiastic. I am terribly leery of movies produced for critical acclaim but are utterly either incomprehensible or boring for the average viewer. "The Tree Of Life" is the best example. I wasMy wife had read the book (twice, she told me after we saw the movie last night, and those who saw "Sixth Sense" will realize why) and insisted on seeing the movie, although I was somewhat less enthusiastic. I am terribly leery of movies produced for critical acclaim but are utterly either incomprehensible or boring for the average viewer. "The Tree Of Life" is the best example. I was fearful Pi was a similar genre. It was anything but. A beautifully filmed and acted movie, from beginning to end, with extraordinary, yet transparent and quite believable special effects. The twist at the end of the movie adds an entire new dimension and I will absolutely go see it again, with this new perspective. The second time will be in 3D, which the reviews suggest is better deployed than in "Avatar" which is the only 3D movie I have thoroughly enjoyed, where the 3D added to, rather than subtracted from, the viewing experience. Please do see this movie. Expand
  27. Nov 24, 2012
    You've probably seen the incredible footage of a young man and a tiger trapped on a lifeboat. That' the crux of this magical, magnificent film brilliantly brought to the screen by Ang Lee. The philosophy-laden run up and the mystical follow up must be endured to get the whole story, but it's worth the effort. The struggle for survival is spellbinding and Lee has created some imagery that'sYou've probably seen the incredible footage of a young man and a tiger trapped on a lifeboat. That' the crux of this magical, magnificent film brilliantly brought to the screen by Ang Lee. The philosophy-laden run up and the mystical follow up must be endured to get the whole story, but it's worth the effort. The struggle for survival is spellbinding and Lee has created some imagery that's astoundingly beautiful. Where the real animals end and the CGI begins is seamless. The 3D doesn't really add that much, but most theaters don't give many alternatives. Whether or not you appreciate the metaphysical aspects, Lee again demonstrates that he's one of the great modern masters of cinema. Expand
  28. Dec 9, 2012
    A spellbounding, mind-blowing and a wonderful experience with the strong and compelling storytelling and slight innovation of 3D technology, based on the novel of the same name written by Yann Martel and directed by Ang Lee, Life of Pi is easily one of the best films of this year. I am quite surprised by the fact that a supposedly "unfilmable" novel turned into an epic film and anA spellbounding, mind-blowing and a wonderful experience with the strong and compelling storytelling and slight innovation of 3D technology, based on the novel of the same name written by Yann Martel and directed by Ang Lee, Life of Pi is easily one of the best films of this year. I am quite surprised by the fact that a supposedly "unfilmable" novel turned into an epic film and an astounding experience. Hats off to Ang Lee and his team, first of all. As we all know that this film is about a boy named Pi, who survives a disaster at sea where all of his family members get killed and he gets stuck on a life-boat with a Bengal tiger named Richard Parker and other animals consisting of a zebra, an orangutan and a hyena, and is set on a unusal adventure and learns so much along the way that his way of thinking changes. Pi is a very unusual character, who spends all his childhood in finding a right belief and for that, he is introduced to several religions including Islam, Christianity and Judaism. Played by Suraj Shurma (young Pi) and Irrfan Khan (Adult Pi), both of them give strong performances especially Khan, who also narrates throughout the film. His character seems so believable and his younger self is also quite strong. The best things about this film are the direction, incorporation of 3D technology which is way more than brilliant and the way of storytelling. It may have a simple storyline but it is still so strong and thought-provoking and teaches you a lot about finding your true self and believing in yourself. When you finish watching the film, it all depends upon you that what do you really want to believe. What is your opinion about Pi's story. What were you beliefs before watching the movie and what are your beliefs now. I believe in God with all my heart and soul, and I know what I want to believe and my faith is strong. It may not touch you spiritually but it really makes you want to believe in inspiring film-making and the real power of cinema and storytelling.
    Ang Lee's vision is so powerful, I have no idea why he picked this novel but I am really glad that he did and he made it so beautiful that every frame of the movie seems worth appreciating and with that, Yann Martel's imagination, which is really strong and quite fascinating how it is penned into the novel. A few of the scenes in the film are shot so beautifully that you want to feel everything that's happening in the movie, you feel like touching the water, you want to get on that boat with Pi and continue the epic adventure.
    Honestly, I'm not a fan of 3D technology but I can proudly say that this is the first film that made me actually believe in the entire 3D experience and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It has actually set a bar for upcoming 3D films. Sadly, I wasn't able to watch James Cameron's Avatar in 3D and I'm still upset about that but Life of Pi has impressed me enough that I can stop being sad about not watching Avatar in 3D and quite frankly, the whole 3D technology has finally got a new fan.
    Clever cinematography, beautiful background score, freaking brilliant visual effects and 3D experience, compelling, inspiring and spiritual storyline and screenplay, great performances, and outstanding direction. These are all the factors that make this film so wonderful that it turns into an epic experience. I easily tag Life of Pi as one of the epic and most wonderful experiences of 2012.
  29. Dec 24, 2012
    A brilliant story line that had me gripped throughout the whole film. It's mix of intellect and adventure made the movie a must-see. The movie was timed perfectly, without getting tiresome but at the same time without making you bored. I'd recommend it , any day.
  30. Dec 6, 2012
    Imágenes muy bellas, casi poéticas. En ningún momento se nota que el tigre de bengala no sea de verdad. Historia casi creíble, con un final muy dramático. El joven actor parece haber nacido para interpretar este papel.

1. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Dec 17, 2012
    To produce a coherent film from Martel's tricky novel would be achievement enough, but Ang Lee has extracted something beautiful, wise and, at times, miraculous.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 26, 2012
    Life of Pi, at its best, celebrates the idiosyncratic wonders and dangers of raw, ravaging nature, and Lee wrings more than enough meaning from the excitement of that spectacle; we need nothing higher. [26 Nov.2012, p.86]
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Mueller
    Nov 25, 2012
    A riot of saturated colour and delirious imagination, Ang Lee's adap radiates spirituality. But it's also a simple, thrilling and gently uplifting tale of a boy, a boat and a tiger. Take the plunge.