IFC Films | Release Date: February 15, 2013
7.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 27 Ratings
WATCH NOW
amirreza1Oct 18, 2014
A Kiarostami Movie I watch 3 times.
And I like to watch it again.
I like how the movie tells the story. I like the situation. Showing the pains and bad points of life with Poetry atmosphere. Its in top 10 of best movies i watched in 2013
pesho_oneDec 24, 2014
Again, a weird movie. Not necessarily bad, per say, but definitely not for everyone. I for once, weren't that bothered by the way it was shot. I would qualify it as a bit pretentious, lazy kind of scene development. Things like fixed camerasAgain, a weird movie. Not necessarily bad, per say, but definitely not for everyone. I for once, weren't that bothered by the way it was shot. I would qualify it as a bit pretentious, lazy kind of scene development. Things like fixed cameras for too long, unnecessary events that take time, prolonged looks and mimics and overall very small total count of scenes. You are going to feel the low budget (scene-wise), but the good news is that the acting is as natural as I can imagine - all the performances are great.

And while it is definitely a slow movie, it somehow succeed to keep me hooked, probably because of the intense dialog and unexpected developments. So, yes, it was entertaining for me, but there is a BUT and it goes like this:

I don't like it as a whole, because it didn't really go anywhere. It happens to make a common mistake, similar to other movies - it hooks you with the questions you are going to ask yourself, but never actually bothers to answer any one of them. 6 out of 10 praising the strong acting and character's intensity.
LynAug 31, 2014
Why, exactly, does the elderly retired professor request a call girl? Why is he so taken by the girl, who is quite dim and vacant? Why doesn't he ask questions that would help him to actually understand her situation? You may or may notWhy, exactly, does the elderly retired professor request a call girl? Why is he so taken by the girl, who is quite dim and vacant? Why doesn't he ask questions that would help him to actually understand her situation? You may or may not formulate theories to answer these questions, but in any case, no one in the movie seems to be "like someone in love." Expand
TVJerryApr 8, 2013
Iranian filmmaker Abbas Kiarostami travels to Japan for this film about a young hooker who becomes involved with an old professor. Any movie that starts with a long, inert first scene is gonna be slow, but this one takes the prize. First is aIranian filmmaker Abbas Kiarostami travels to Japan for this film about a young hooker who becomes involved with an old professor. Any movie that starts with a long, inert first scene is gonna be slow, but this one takes the prize. First is a restaurant with 2 locked-down cameras for 10 min. Second is in a cab for 15 min, while listens to 8 voicemail msgs. You get the idea. At one point the old man fell asleep behind the wheel of the car for more than a minute. All sequences take place in real time with static camera and low key performances. I had plenty of time to answer a few emails and not miss a thing (even in subtitles) and may be the only person in Richmond to see this. It does have a pretty surprising shaggy dog ending. Expand