Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: November 9, 2012
7.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 690 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SHANKROIDFeb 16, 2013
If there was ever a movie that WASN'T what it said on the tin, this is it. It kicks off with yer man from My Left Foot, here with a funny hat and beard for whatever reason, sitting about drinking tea and telling stories. This goes on forIf there was ever a movie that WASN'T what it said on the tin, this is it. It kicks off with yer man from My Left Foot, here with a funny hat and beard for whatever reason, sitting about drinking tea and telling stories. This goes on for quite a bit. Dunno what he was saying. I don't think the other characters were even listening. Half an hour in and still no sign of the vampires, so I fast forwarded a bit (don't ask me how I did this in the cinema). Watched another scene. Tommy Lee Jones out of off of US Marshals pops up with a silly wig. Still no action. Fast forwarded again and the end credits were rolling. Maybe I skipped past the vampire scenes. And this is supposed to win Oscars? Pfft... Expand
noco71Jan 10, 2013
I can understand why on the surface alot of people may have found this movie to be boring. But when you give it a chance and look and enjoy the performances of all the leads , I found it anything but boring. Daniel Day Lewis is incredible andI can understand why on the surface alot of people may have found this movie to be boring. But when you give it a chance and look and enjoy the performances of all the leads , I found it anything but boring. Daniel Day Lewis is incredible and James Spader was surprisingly good too. I think it was a great choice not to include any real action sequences in the movie , as I feel they would have felt completely out of place and fo4ced in a movie like this. Overall I was glued from start to finish. Wonderful stuff. Expand
DudefromTulsaDec 25, 2012
If you are a southern apologist who lives in the delusion they were fighting for anything other than slavery, you will hate this film. It puts the historical cards on the table and shows the south's refusal to give up on a war that wasIf you are a southern apologist who lives in the delusion they were fighting for anything other than slavery, you will hate this film. It puts the historical cards on the table and shows the south's refusal to give up on a war that was already lost because they would not agree to end slavery. Plain and simple, they were fighting for that reason and no other. If you prefer anachronistic dialogue, with persons from history sounding like NYC cab drivers, you will hate this film. Kushner's script follows the best recollections of those who were present. With the forgivable exception of allowing the change of "Now he belongs to the angels." to become the far better "Now he belongs to the ages." If you want to see CGI recreations of Gettysburg and Antietam, you're in the wrong theater. This film is about Lincoln and his growing conviction that the war was never just about preserving the union. That his fate was to be the man who led this country to the end of slavery. Seen for what it is, that often the hand of God moves history with the least likely vessels, a prophet with a speech impediment, a carpenter's son born in poverty or that a man who had failed at nearly everything, whose family life was coming unhinged, should lead a reluctant, spiteful nation to end the babrbarism of slavery, this film is a triumph. Expand
glemonApr 21, 2013
Lincoln was one of those movies that is very well done, it appears to capture the period with historical accuracy, the acting is very good, the story historically and socially significant. But it was rather slow moving and not particularlyLincoln was one of those movies that is very well done, it appears to capture the period with historical accuracy, the acting is very good, the story historically and socially significant. But it was rather slow moving and not particularly compelling given the compelling subject matter, and I like both politics and history.

I watched it, I can't say it wasn't a good movie, but there is really nothing about it that would make me want to sit through it again.
alpoJan 29, 2014
Great performances, especially Daniel Day Lewis and Tommy Lee Jones, and fascinating subject matter. Unfortunately, at two and a half hours, the film is simply hard to get through.
Welterweight426Nov 26, 2012
A fantastic movie. I cannot say enough good things. The acting was amazing, especially Daniel Day Lewis and Tommy Lee Jones. However, the entire cast is great. The soundtrack is fantastic and the cinematography is great too. This is one ofA fantastic movie. I cannot say enough good things. The acting was amazing, especially Daniel Day Lewis and Tommy Lee Jones. However, the entire cast is great. The soundtrack is fantastic and the cinematography is great too. This is one of the few movies I have seen that left me in tears. If you dont see this movie, you should never watch another movie again. Expand
123GAGEMar 30, 2013
The best historical movie I've ever seen. It makes you care about our most important president in ways you would never think you would. It's funny, it's interesting, and of course, Daniel-Day Lewis is perfect as Abraham Lincoln.
foundationcitizNov 27, 2012
If you look at many of the good reviews, you will see the problem, in my mind, with this movie. It is a bit too slow, too monotone, and simply too stuffy. There could have been so much more color and life. I think we should have seenIf you look at many of the good reviews, you will see the problem, in my mind, with this movie. It is a bit too slow, too monotone, and simply too stuffy. There could have been so much more color and life. I think we should have seen different perspectives, such as from the angle of a simple working person and from the angle of the south. The movie leaves out Lincoln's great speeches, making only brief references. The movie leaves out the assassination, and what we know about who did it and why. The real death blow to the movie, for me, was the lack of vigor in why and what they were fighting for. After all, huge numbers of americans died. So, for me the movie was a dud. I think a lot of people are caught up in the moment. By the way, the supporting acting was GREAT, and I would give an award to Sally Fields. Expand
KJJNov 10, 2012
First rate look at the personal side of real people written about so much as "legend" that you forget. Is Rex Reed serious about this being a "bore"? When is he going to retire and stop boring us?
BVGNOfficialMar 1, 2013
The real-life characters from the time then are brought back to life, and it feels like you are in the 19th century. However, a lot of the scenes dragged out too long and I found myself drifting away at the theater because I was so bored.
CriticViewpointNov 23, 2012
Looking at Spielberg's history in cinema, it is relevant that making classics is simply in his blood. Whether his movies were about raw tension, the pureness of the heart or about the examination of the human spirit, none of them blend soLooking at Spielberg's history in cinema, it is relevant that making classics is simply in his blood. Whether his movies were about raw tension, the pureness of the heart or about the examination of the human spirit, none of them blend so perfectly together as Lincoln does. Not only does Lincoln inform the audience about what an immense challenge it was for the 16th president to abolish slavery, (which could easily be unappreciated just by reading it in a textbook), but it makes you feel as if you were one of the many Americans who idolized him during the 19th century. What Spielberg, Kushner and Day-Lewis do to make Abraham appear as a real inspirational figure is not by simply filming the events that gained him his historical recognition, but by letting the audience adore his charming personality first. The scenes where the Republicans and Democrats bicker over the future of the entire African-American population of the time are so intriguing that I felt relieved when arguments were won and angry when injustice was performed. We have Spielberg and Kushner to really thank for allowing us to become so emotionally involved. I would also like to congratulate Daniel Day-Lewis on winning his third Oscar. Lets face it, he was extraordinary and held the whole film together. It was so exciting just to watch everything he did on screen that he was the main reason I didn't want the movie to end. Credits to Field, Jones and Gordon-Levitt for making the experience all the more captivating. This is perhaps the most inspirational movie of the year which adds to Spielberg's list of never-ending triumphs as well as celebrating one of the most notable historical figures in American history. Expand
BellinoPSep 7, 2013
Lets get this Bill passed.. find someone to help pass this bill... hey bill will you help me pass this Bill.. wow what a waste of talent. actors were superb sets and direction was excellent. but give me a break the story should have focusedLets get this Bill passed.. find someone to help pass this bill... hey bill will you help me pass this Bill.. wow what a waste of talent. actors were superb sets and direction was excellent. but give me a break the story should have focused much more on personal relationships and how without that bill there lives being affected by it. that would have made a more powerful movie... Expand
zedzdedJan 15, 2013
I have to say this was an incredibly dull movie. If you're not american, you'll be scratching your head in bafflement about why there was a need to create a whole movie about a bunch of senators trying to wrangle votes for a bill. The sortI have to say this was an incredibly dull movie. If you're not american, you'll be scratching your head in bafflement about why there was a need to create a whole movie about a bunch of senators trying to wrangle votes for a bill. The sort of stuff you'd avoid on TV nowadays even if you're interested in politics.

From the very first few moments of this banal platitude of a snoozefest, Lincoln is portrayed as some sort of angelic benevolent grandfather who can do no wrong. A bunch of soldiers appear at the base of his pedestal where he is bathed in a glorifying halo and recite verbatim a speech that he gave at some pivotal historical moment. The awe and respect from the soldiers is painful, one dimensional and almost insulting.

So the tone is set. Lincoln is a hero from the outset, a glorified angel, a beatific beaming wise one. Where was the man? The depressed, racist, that is the reality of who he was? There's not a glimpse of it here.

Add to that, the non stop speaking. It's incessant dialogue and not very good dialogue at that. Just because someone speaks fast doesn't make it clever or interesting or persuasive. I can't figure out why Day - Lewis would be involved in this turd. Is he desperate for an Oscar? Because everyone in this movie telegraphed from afar 'Watch this, this is my Oscar moment' I nearly gagged at Sally Field's first scene where she emoted sentimentally claiming she understood the significance of a dream claiming it was to do with a senate bill. She nearly wept. I have to say the cinematography wasn't very interesting either and the lighting was poor at some moments especially outdoor scenes where it was especially weak. And the hackneyed battle scene at the start? Forget about it, I wish I could unsee it.

Turgid, Turgid, Turgid, avoid, avoid, avoid!
Mabel8103Feb 28, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Lincoln

Una película difícil de ver y de digerir, Lincoln trata temas sumamente interesantes y bien manejados pero con unos diálogos pesados y complicados para el público en general, la narrativa es difícil de seguir y no engancha fácilmente, por los menos la primera media hora causa el sentimiento interno de ignorancia y provoca varios bostezos, pero después de un rato y prestando mucha atención la idea empieza a tomar forma y junto con sus pocas chispas de humor envuelven al espectador hasta su desenlace.

La película narra el último año del expresidente Abraham Lincoln y su lucha por acabar con la guerra civil junto con la aprobación de la decimotercera enmienda en la cámara de representantes en la que se abolió la esclavitud. Daniel Day-Lewis hace el papel a la perfección, el papel de una Lincoln idealizado por Steven Spielberg, de un héroe de la patria, el papel de un hombre recto que decide que el fin justifica los medios. Lewis el hombre del momento hace gala de todo su garbo actoral convenciéndonos con sus gestos, con su voz, con sus movimientos, encarna totalmente el personaje de una forma impresionante llevándonos a la época y sintiéndonos acongojados por su triste final.

La dirección de arte, el vestuario, la iluminación, la ambientación y la fotografía fueron magistrales, realmente nos introducen en la historia con detalles que las llevan a la perfección. Cada mapa, cada candelabro, cada pieza perfectamente ubicada, armonizando el entorno y dándole al film la credibilidad que necesitaba.

Con un reparto demasiado grande hace que en varios escenas nos podamos confundir y que muchas de las actuaciones sean totalmente desaprovechadas como es el caso de Jared Harris o Joseph Gordon-Levitt, caso contrario el de Tommy Lee Jones, quien da vida a Thaddeus Stevens líder radical republicano quien nos brinda una de las mejore escenas de la película en la que tiene que callar sus emociones reales para lograr el objetivo común, objetivo por el que él a luchado insistentemente por motivos personales y secretos. Sally Field también se destaca como la Sra. Lincoln una mujer con problemas de depresión que se tambalea entre su vida personal y cuidar las apariencias en su vida social.

Steven Spielberg, genio cinematográfico, Maestro del arte, nos enseña su punto de vista de uno de los hombres más amados de los Estados Unidos dejando en claro que sin importar el proyecto que realice siempre tendrá el apoyo de la crítica y de la academia, lo vemos con sus 12 nominaciones a los premios óscar y con el excelente resultado del producto final, una película para ver inteligentemente con paciencia y mente abierta, sin discriminar el género ni el ámbito político.

Compren el tarro de críspetas grande y tómenlo con calma, no se pueden perder la historia del hombre más digno que cumplió su objetivo de la manera más indigna.
hgtrainer74Apr 27, 2013
This movie was like watching C-SPAN from the 1800's. It is EXTREMELY slow and stuffy. Some of the vocabulary is like listening to Shakespeare, you kind of understand what they are saying but it still would be helpful to have a translator toThis movie was like watching C-SPAN from the 1800's. It is EXTREMELY slow and stuffy. Some of the vocabulary is like listening to Shakespeare, you kind of understand what they are saying but it still would be helpful to have a translator to make sure you know what is going on. Abraham Lincoln and his rambling stories....... I wanted to shoot him myself by the end of the movie. He is like that uncle that tells you a 15 minute story that has nothing to do with anything. All that being said, there is great acting and I can see where it would be critically acclaimed. If you are looking for a true look at politics in the 19th century, this movie is for you, but if you want action or anything resembling entertainment, pick a different movie. Expand
evancusterNov 24, 2012
I must be in the minority, but I was very disappointed with "Lincoln". I really enjoy history and biography, had read Goodwin's book and had heard almost unanimous praise for the movie. However, I thought the film was tedious, the scriptI must be in the minority, but I was very disappointed with "Lincoln". I really enjoy history and biography, had read Goodwin's book and had heard almost unanimous praise for the movie. However, I thought the film was tedious, the script very stilted, and the acting rather mundane. If this had been a movie without the hype, the well known cast and director, and the subject, I am sure more of the critics would have panned it. I kept looking at my watch and wondering when it was going to show all the great things that had been written about it. A real disappointment. Expand
Darkjoker28Nov 9, 2012
Oh, this is beautiful film-making. Spielberg takes you on a ride inside Lincoln's mind and his intimate conflicts, in such a pretty and touching way...
DDL is outstanding once again, and this will be seriously a big contender to the award season. I bet .
CBNNov 21, 2012
Day-Lewis proves once again he is the best actor of his generation. Spielberg's touch and mastery are all over the film, yet a bit hard to follow at time with the onslaught of new characters and dialogue. Overall, a wonderful movie experience.
ScottishSchemieJan 14, 2013
I am very surprised to see such praise for this film.It is not only too long,but its turgid pace which drags relentlessly make it it appear even longer.Spielberg appears to have thrown away the magic template.
tomboskettFeb 13, 2013
Lincoln simply put is a brilliant film. For a film that is 2 hours and 30 mins of talking and politics it makes a thoroughly engaging and thoroughly interesting story. It is an important story in American history and captures the issue andLincoln simply put is a brilliant film. For a film that is 2 hours and 30 mins of talking and politics it makes a thoroughly engaging and thoroughly interesting story. It is an important story in American history and captures the issue and era magnificently. Daniel Day-Lewis would fully deserve the Oscar for his performance, it was flawless. He is also matched by an equally fantastic cast. Highly recommended. Expand
RAEDALSDIMay 13, 2013
I expected that Lincoln would win the Academy Award for best film because of the excellent actors and talented director but when I saw the film frankly Ansdmt because the film seems to have been addressed to the Americans just where it wasI expected that Lincoln would win the Academy Award for best film because of the excellent actors and talented director but when I saw the film frankly Ansdmt because the film seems to have been addressed to the Americans just where it was supposed to clarify a lot of other things unidentified and unknown to the non-Americans in the film despite the wonderful acting by  Daniel Day-Lewis and enthusiasm to show a big justice Expand
Will_EarwoodJul 18, 2015
I hate to think that Lincoln is going to belong in the good but not quite great basket, but that's the best way of classifying it. Daniel-Day Lewis is excellent and Tommy Lee Jones exceeds expectations, as well. Overall, the good is reallyI hate to think that Lincoln is going to belong in the good but not quite great basket, but that's the best way of classifying it. Daniel-Day Lewis is excellent and Tommy Lee Jones exceeds expectations, as well. Overall, the good is really good and the bad really isn't all that bad. That said, I was fairly conscious of how long it was leaving me wishing for a little tighter editing. This develops from a few stalling points, but Lincoln never feels too long. I remember noticing how well it was shot as it looked and felt like 1865 at times. Lincoln is a nice experience due to its attention to detail and individual performances. This isn't a movie I anticipate watching over and over but there isn't much not to like. Lincoln won't change your life but it needs to be seen. Interesting and compelling. Expand
cboltDec 3, 2012
I thought the movie was good. the performances were good and the look of the film was spot on. It was a little confusing keeping track of who everyone was. I really liked Lewis as Lincoln. I want to see it again and I think I will get moreI thought the movie was good. the performances were good and the look of the film was spot on. It was a little confusing keeping track of who everyone was. I really liked Lewis as Lincoln. I want to see it again and I think I will get more out of it. overall 9/10. Expand
UnclearImageJan 2, 2013
A wonderful movie, it tells the part of the story that wasn't told- the struggles Lincoln had to deal with in his fight versus the Democrats and even within his own party. It's a compelling drama, in the spirit of "The King's Speech" afterA wonderful movie, it tells the part of the story that wasn't told- the struggles Lincoln had to deal with in his fight versus the Democrats and even within his own party. It's a compelling drama, in the spirit of "The King's Speech" after watching this movie I admired Lincoln, and wished I had been around to hear one of his "stories" Expand
dblaze889Mar 17, 2013
This movie is deserved everything not just Best Actor. Spielberg beautifully directs and make deep research about Lincoln. Yeah this is still movie, not documentary, so you'll find some dramatize scenes. But it's okay.