7.5

1. Feb 16, 2013
    Lincoln, from the title you would assume is a film about Lincoln, however you may be disappointed to find that its more to do with the passing of the 13th Amendment. This is a problem purely due to the fact that everyone knows what came to pass in history or even take a guess as to what happened making long scenes of politicians talking about the amendment and discussing racial issues andLincoln, from the title you would assume is a film about Lincoln, however you may be disappointed to find that its more to do with the passing of the 13th Amendment. This is a problem purely due to the fact that everyone knows what came to pass in history or even take a guess as to what happened making long scenes of politicians talking about the amendment and discussing racial issues and war with seemingly no progression all the more tiresome. However there is some saving grace in its monotonous dialogue which is the acting. The actors and actresses really bring out the roles they play most notably Daniel Day-Lewis but also Tommy Lee Jones and Sally Field. Their interactions and dialogue are easily the most interesting part in the story which leads back to Lincoln's main problem. There's a lack of balance between the parts about the 13th amendment and the life of Lincoln and his family which were very dramatic. Its a long film so both parts are attempted in depth making the story convoluted and sometimes difficult to follow. Though at least the visual style and lighting of scenes add at least some flavor to the scenes. It has a very gritty style suiting the era while also seeming fresh.

By the end, and I honestly wouldn't call this a spoiler, when the amendments been passed and Lincoln is dead we really haven't been able to get to know the characters well enough to really care that this great leader has died. Take for instance the classic "Amadeus", in the poster it tells us that he dies but even at the end in knowing this its sad to see him die because we got to know him and got to connect with his character. Lincoln however fails to be "about" Lincoln.
  2. Dec 8, 2012
    This was a very good movie. Daniel Day-Lewis does an incredible job as he portrays Abraham Lincoln and the rest of the impressive cast does just as well. Truthfully, this was a character and acting driven movie and it had to have been in order to work. The only real negatives to the film, in my opinion, were the length and the slightly misleading name. Regarding the length of the movie,This was a very good movie. Daniel Day-Lewis does an incredible job as he portrays Abraham Lincoln and the rest of the impressive cast does just as well. Truthfully, this was a character and acting driven movie and it had to have been in order to work. The only real negatives to the film, in my opinion, were the length and the slightly misleading name. Regarding the length of the movie, don't get me wrong, I LOVE long films IF they're done well (Lord of the Rings, Braveheart, etc.). While this movie was done well, it easily could've been 15-20 minutes shorter without missing anything critical (which cannot necessarily be said by LOTR or Braveheart). The other thing I mentioned was the misleading name. Obviously Lincoln is still the protagonist but a more accurate title to the movie would've been "The 13th Amendment" because that's the entire focus of the film. Personally, I expected this film to be more like a condensed version of the John Adams mini-series and the title and previews are the reason why. Nonetheless, this was a good movie with fantastic acting and cinematography and I think most people would really enjoy it. Expand
  3. Nov 25, 2012
    This is one of Steven Spielberg's best films this year, and in my opinion the best so far this year. The movie does a great job capturing Lincoln's personality during a turbulent time in America's history. Furthermore, the acting by Daniel Day Lewis to Tommy Lee Jones was excellent. Daniel Day Lewis is a great actor, and he deserves another best actor nomination for his performance. IThis is one of Steven Spielberg's best films this year, and in my opinion the best so far this year. The movie does a great job capturing Lincoln's personality during a turbulent time in America's history. Furthermore, the acting by Daniel Day Lewis to Tommy Lee Jones was excellent. Daniel Day Lewis is a great actor, and he deserves another best actor nomination for his performance. I believe Tommy Lee Jones has given one of his best performances in a long time, and I hope he gets nominated for best supporting actor as he gave a great performance to the radical Republican Thaddeus Stevens. Finally the writing is incredible along with some excellent dry humor. I highly recommend everyone check this movie out. Expand
  4. Jan 30, 2013
    Last year USA-born Meryl Streep won her third Oscar for the portrayal of Margaret Thatcher in THE IRON LADY (2011, 7/10), this year the academy will (seemingly) reciprocate a third Oscar to Brit Daniel Day-Lewis in his rendition of Abraham Lincoln. It
  5. Nov 22, 2012
    Lincoln presents the characters' conflicts without taking sides, but still manages to pull off a perfect historical film that, with the absolutely flawless performance of Daniel Day-Lewis, is sure to be an Oscar contender and remain one of the best films of 2012.
  6. Dec 1, 2012
    A grand sweeping historical epic that illuminates the passing of the 13 th amendment. The story is, of course, political but like Lincoln, Stephen Spielberg tells stories of deep human significance laced with humor. I wondered if the smallish Daniel Day Lewis could fully inhabit the great man the way that Raymond Massey did. He mostly succeeded but perhaps more importantly Day-Lewis givesA grand sweeping historical epic that illuminates the passing of the 13 th amendment. The story is, of course, political but like Lincoln, Stephen Spielberg tells stories of deep human significance laced with humor. I wondered if the smallish Daniel Day Lewis could fully inhabit the great man the way that Raymond Massey did. He mostly succeeded but perhaps more importantly Day-Lewis gives Lincoln the soul that Massey attempted. This is due in significant part to the words-the great script- by Tony Kushner who brings the book by Doris Kearns Goodwin upon which the movie is based-to full life-and empathetic and plausible psychological insight into Mary Todd Lincoln (Sally Field) and her troubled marriage to the President. Hal Holbrook, James Spader, David Strathairn and Tommy Lee Jones are excellent in support-as are the many, many unknown character actors in this film. Finally, as in all (?) Spielberg films the score is by John Williams and is excellent. The only reason I did not give this movie a 10 was the calculated attempt at a tear-jerking ending needlessly followed by an extraneous 2 minute speech. A mere quibble. Expand
  7. May 7, 2013
    Steven Spielberg can't go wrong. I've got to say I'm Latina, I already knew Lincolns story but this film is so meaningful and powerful that it made me realize the point of the whole historic event. Daniel Day-Lewis was Brilliant and Tommy Lee Jones was splendid. This movie is one of the Best movies i've seen in a while. Bravo Steven!
  8. Aug 27, 2014
    Through the direction of Steven Spielberg, Daniel Day-Lewis brings us on an incredible journey through the mind and intimacy of Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln is a focus on the person as well as the accomplishments.
  9. Feb 18, 2013
    Don't let the above plot put you off. Yes, its politics but it's so much more. It's a character study of the highest order. We get to see Lincoln's political machinations, frustrations with public office, as well as his personal strife behind the White House's doors. The narrative never feels dull or anything other than monumentous. I haven't seen any of the films featuring other nomineesDon't let the above plot put you off. Yes, its politics but it's so much more. It's a character study of the highest order. We get to see Lincoln's political machinations, frustrations with public office, as well as his personal strife behind the White House's doors. The narrative never feels dull or anything other than monumentous. I haven't seen any of the films featuring other nominees for Academy Best Actor but I just cannot imagine that any of the performances come close to Daniel Day-Lewis' as Lincoln. Just when you think the guy can't get any better (There Will Be Blood), he steps up to another level. His performance as Lincoln is simply wonderful. Patient, stoic, inspirational, determined, regretful, melancholy, Day-Lewis manages to capture everything.

To heap all the praise on Day-Lewis would be disrespectful to the rest of the cast. Credit where due, Sally Fields is excellent as the Mary Lincoln, Tommy Lee Jones turns in a strong, sombre performance and with the cast on offer I could go on all day.
  10. Mar 17, 2013
    This movie is deserved everything not just Best Actor. Spielberg beautifully directs and make deep research about Lincoln. Yeah this is still movie, not documentary, so you'll find some dramatize scenes. But it's okay.
    Compare with the shi*ty Argo, this movie is a masterpiece. I just don't know why Argo can grab Oscar? What's wrong with you American citizens? You don't like and proud with your own president?
  11. Dec 20, 2012
    It's a serious film, all right, and professional in every way--it's also a bit plodding and didactic. Daniel Day Lewis again gives the kind of performance that wins awards, but as always he seems to be standing alongside the character--thinking about him, solving acting problems, but never jumping inside his skin.
  12. Dec 27, 2012
    Not for the impatient; Lincoln triumphs as one of the finest movies in Steven Spielberg
  13. Dec 9, 2012
    I get so excited when a movie actually lives up to my expectations, and Lincoln does. I have been trying to temper them ever since I found out our greatest actor would be playing our most popular president in a movie written and directed by one of the greatest film makers ever. Thankfully this film lives up to every bit of the hype. First off this movie is absolutely gorgeous. The feel ofI get so excited when a movie actually lives up to my expectations, and Lincoln does. I have been trying to temper them ever since I found out our greatest actor would be playing our most popular president in a movie written and directed by one of the greatest film makers ever. Thankfully this film lives up to every bit of the hype. First off this movie is absolutely gorgeous. The feel of the era comes through in every single frame. Spielberg captures the image we have of Lincoln as a man perfectly. There are so many shots that we get of Lincoln's profile or where he is walking out of a room and his presence is captured perfectly. This is also a perfectly written script. Again the language is written perfectly for the era and events that we are witnessing. Last but certainly not least the acting is superb across the board. Lewis is every bit of Lincoln that we expect him to be, he captures the image we have of Lincoln in every single scene. Maybe most amazing is that all the other actors never seem dwarfed by Lewis's presence. Whether this is from great casting, acting, or writing doesn't matter, all that matters is that it all works seamlessly. The only reason this movie doesn't get a perfect 10 from me is that there are a few scenes with the "Spielberg cheese". Thankfully they are very minimal, but they will take you out of the film for a moment or two. Otherwise this is a perfect movie, probably my favorite of the last two years. Expand
  14. Nov 26, 2012
    A fantastic movie. I cannot say enough good things. The acting was amazing, especially Daniel Day Lewis and Tommy Lee Jones. However, the entire cast is great. The soundtrack is fantastic and the cinematography is great too. This is one of the few movies I have seen that left me in tears. If you dont see this movie, you should never watch another movie again.
  15. Mar 31, 2013
    Daniel Day-Lewis outperforms himself again this time as Lincoln. The film focuses heavily on Amendment 13 which gets rid of slavery but serves mainly as a device to end the war. There's endless political blabbering (well written mind you) concerning the passing of this amendment and the behind-the-scenes mechanics of it. You'll get some insight into Lincoln's personal life but unexpectedlyDaniel Day-Lewis outperforms himself again this time as Lincoln. The film focuses heavily on Amendment 13 which gets rid of slavery but serves mainly as a device to end the war. There's endless political blabbering (well written mind you) concerning the passing of this amendment and the behind-the-scenes mechanics of it. You'll get some insight into Lincoln's personal life but unexpectedly he's portrayed as a man who kicks ass for goodness, a veritable saint. As much as I enjoyed this well made film I couldn't help but think that this was a product of the Americans obsession with their own culture and history, and for me as a European it just doesn't seem all that important. We know all how it turned out in the end, didn't we Expand
  16. Nov 26, 2012
    It was an enjoyable historic drama. I think the movie should have been called the "13th Amendment" considering that is really the only aspect of this movie.
  17. Dec 29, 2012
    Lincoln is exactly just the right amount of how I was expecting this film to be. I can't argue with people who keep on claiming what was really done at that time and what was not. The work of Tony Kushner and Steven Spielberg may base on the real events but it also incorporates a little bit of fiction because it is necessary to keep the film in the right direction. Screenplay is superb andLincoln is exactly just the right amount of how I was expecting this film to be. I can't argue with people who keep on claiming what was really done at that time and what was not. The work of Tony Kushner and Steven Spielberg may base on the real events but it also incorporates a little bit of fiction because it is necessary to keep the film in the right direction. Screenplay is superb and so is the direction. The major plus points of this film are its brilliant photography, production design and breathtaking performances by a stellar cast especially Daniel Day-Lewis. That is one hell of an exceptional portrayal of one of the most important historical figures in the history of the United States of America, Abraham Lincoln. Day-Lewis totally stunned me with his performance and I really do want him to win all the major awards this season. Here's why people won't like this film. There is no action in this film whatsoever, and all of the scenes are based on the dialogues. In addition, the run-time of the film is 2 hours and 20 minutes which seems way more than it should be, in the case of a drama film (NOT if you love watching slow paced, dialogues oriented drama films).
    Lincoln may not be one of the best films of the year and it might not win the major awards (i.e. Best Director and Best Picture) but it sure as hell deserves all these nominations because that's how great it is which can't be ignored. Lincoln is not just a film, it is an effort by Spielberg to refresh people's history lessons and with that, deliver an important message of equality to our generation. Films like Lincoln should be strongly appreciated because they transform the art in a perfect manner that not only you enjoy it but it also raises a lot of questions in your mind.
  18. Mar 1, 2013
    The real-life characters from the time then are brought back to life, and it feels like you are in the 19th century. However, a lot of the scenes dragged out too long and I found myself drifting away at the theater because I was so bored.
  19. Feb 11, 2013
    Such a historical time in US history is a hard story to tell on its own, much less the man in charge of the whole mess. I think Speilberg does a great job in creating the mood, distractions, oppositions, co-conspirators and even Lincoln's characters/values become a definition of the film. So many underrated actors play the politicians to perfection-Halbrook (playing Preston), LevittSuch a historical time in US history is a hard story to tell on its own, much less the man in charge of the whole mess. I think Speilberg does a great job in creating the mood, distractions, oppositions, co-conspirators and even Lincoln's characters/values become a definition of the film. So many underrated actors play the politicians to perfection-Halbrook (playing Preston), Levitt playing Lincoln's son, Stuhlbarg as Yeaman...so many more. But Day-Lewis is the film as Lincoln, and (of all people) Sally Field as Ms. Lincoln.. Of course, 90% of the film is dialog-mostly related to the politics of the time/amendment-sometimes hard to follow. Only reason I didn't give this a "10" as it seems to be a bit too "heroic" when this time was not "heroic" but rather tragic-which is conveyed thru the colors and tone of the film very well. Expand
  20. Apr 17, 2013
    Being a US History major, I loved Lincoln. Anytime I get to see a movie about US History, I get really excited. And Lincoln did not let me down. While some (or many) would call this movie slow and boring, it was quite the opposite. I was thoroughly entertained by Daniel Day-Lewis (as always) and Spielberg delivered once again. The scenes in Congress were great because it seemed to mockBeing a US History major, I loved Lincoln. Anytime I get to see a movie about US History, I get really excited. And Lincoln did not let me down. While some (or many) would call this movie slow and boring, it was quite the opposite. I was thoroughly entertained by Daniel Day-Lewis (as always) and Spielberg delivered once again. The scenes in Congress were great because it seemed to mock today's government/congress and made political parties look absolutely ridiculous. Go watch this film if you have the time and want to watch a great acting performance by Day-Lewis. Expand
  21. Dec 19, 2012
    The strength of this film lies in the golden script, and wonderful cast. Daniel Day Lewis brings a certain livelihood, and genuine charm to Lincoln that makes you disappointed in current politics. It brings the same love for a classic hero of American folklore, but at the intimate level, where you love the man, not just his words. I give the writers absolute credit for focusing on theThe strength of this film lies in the golden script, and wonderful cast. Daniel Day Lewis brings a certain livelihood, and genuine charm to Lincoln that makes you disappointed in current politics. It brings the same love for a classic hero of American folklore, but at the intimate level, where you love the man, not just his words. I give the writers absolute credit for focusing on the messy way slavery was eliminated. Not in an epic battle of good and evil, but through messy politicking. Also, there is nothing quite like hearing congressmen dishing out insults in 1860's American speech. There is a certain distance in the film which prevents it from being this year's best, but nonetheless this is a rare, charming, gem that should not be passed up. Expand
  22. Feb 25, 2013
    I find this a very hard movie to judge. It's lacking in any real drama or suspense, has a mostly plodding script and there is no real visual excitement either from set design, set pieces or even camera work. Spielbergs work of lot (anything after Saving Private Ryan) has had a mostly sterile feel for me very well executed but nothing special and Lincoln falls into that as a filmI find this a very hard movie to judge. It's lacking in any real drama or suspense, has a mostly plodding script and there is no real visual excitement either from set design, set pieces or even camera work. Spielbergs work of lot (anything after Saving Private Ryan) has had a mostly sterile feel for me very well executed but nothing special and Lincoln falls into that as a film overall. Yes, Day Lewis is strangely captivating as Lincoln but only in some scenes where he gets to cut loss. The film seems to hold the Lincoln character on too high a pedestal. We only get glimpses into what may be a slightly more selfish side to him. When it comes to the messy side of politics, the film keeps Lincoln at very much an arms length approach. This may or may not be true, I'm no history buff but I would have thought it unlikely that any high ranking politician would be able to keep such a distance. The other characters really only work as plot points. There's no bad acting but its all so dull and, well, predictable (I know odd for a true story). Granted, the film cant change what happened but the South are predictable drawn as out and out bad guys. General Ulysses is, like Lincoln, far too upstanding. There's no surprises anywhere and the film wont question any views you may have going in. Not that it has to but when the main flow of the film is, essentially, very dull lobbying it would be nice to have something else to keep the attention.

As it is, I feel this follows many of Spielbergs other works into the "fine, but nothing more" column for me. Worth a look? Maybe, but don't expect too much to amaze you.
  23. Aug 26, 2014
    Damn, what a cast. I love films like this that have these huge casts and I keep seeing all these character actors who I recognize from other films or television shows. Daniel Day-Lewis was great (though I prefer him in Gangs of New York and There Will Be Blood, personally). Tommy Lee Jones, David Strathairn, and David Costabile, are also major bright spots. As a whole, this is an at timesDamn, what a cast. I love films like this that have these huge casts and I keep seeing all these character actors who I recognize from other films or television shows. Daniel Day-Lewis was great (though I prefer him in Gangs of New York and There Will Be Blood, personally). Tommy Lee Jones, David Strathairn, and David Costabile, are also major bright spots. As a whole, this is an at times very interesting film about Lincoln himself, as well as everything he went through trying to get the 13th amendment passed. The performances, direction, and costume design, are all major pluses to this historical film. However, it felt a little long. Some of it could have been trimmed and the final product would have benefited from it. On top of that, Mary Todd Lincoln was almost exclusively portrayed as a total b****, while Robert Lincoln was almost exclusively shown as a wannabe soldier. Thus, I almost think Jospeh Gordon-Levitt's portion could be trimmed significantly, though his performance was fine. I also wish they either showed more elements of Mary Lincoln or trimmed her down and focused exclusively on Lincoln, his Cabinet, and the House. The ending is also poor, as it does not even show anything. While I am not a huge fan of gore, at least hearing a gunshot would have been an added plus. The way they did it felt as if they were purposely keeping us at a distance, which is annoying. The film can also be a little tedious at times and fails to hold your interest throughout the entire run time (largely thanks to the parts that add nothing much to the film as a whole). However, as a whole, the film is very well made and very well done from all parties and stands as a great look at history and is poignant even today, as though the issues are different, the divide between parties and the way votes work is all too similar. Expand
  24. Nov 21, 2012
    Before you see this you have to know this isn't about Lincoln as much as it is about passing the 13th amendment. While it does drag (it's 2.5 hours) it's never boring and it's filled with plenty chuckles to carry it along. Day-Lewis IS Lincoln and is sure to win the Oscar. Much like Ledger and the Joker, I could not imagine anyone else in the role.
  25. Feb 17, 2014
    Having Steven Spielberg, the mastermind behind many of the films with the highest budget and the biggest scale in the last 40 years, direct an entirely dialogue-centred portrayal of Abraham Lincoln doesn’t seem like your first choice. However, it proved to be an excellent one, as Spielberg’s vogue attracted some of the most talented people currently in the business to his project, both inHaving Steven Spielberg, the mastermind behind many of the films with the highest budget and the biggest scale in the last 40 years, direct an entirely dialogue-centred portrayal of Abraham Lincoln doesn’t seem like your first choice. However, it proved to be an excellent one, as Spielberg’s vogue attracted some of the most talented people currently in the business to his project, both in the acting and general filmmaking cast, and thereby obtained twelve much deserved Academy Award nominations. Lincoln is an excellent biographical film, informative due to the information it brings up about the real-life figures working as supporting characters in the film and entertaining with an immensely talented acting ensemble and an enthralling way of storytelling, even though we’re all familiar to the story. Expand
  26. Apr 21, 2013
    Lincoln was one of those movies that is very well done, it appears to capture the period with historical accuracy, the acting is very good, the story historically and socially significant. But it was rather slow moving and not particularly compelling given the compelling subject matter, and I like both politics and history.

I watched it, I can't say it wasn't a good movie, but there is

I watched it, I can't say it wasn't a good movie, but there is really nothing about it that would make me want to sit through it again.
  27. Nov 26, 2012
    Very good movie! I watched the weekend after THanksgiving, and what a treat! It really captures some of Spielberg's best work in quite a while. The actors were all on point and I am happy that the movie did not focus on those moments in Lincoln's presidency that we all study in some length at school, i.e., the civil war, his election campaign, and the moment of his death, but rather,Very good movie! I watched the weekend after THanksgiving, and what a treat! It really captures some of Spielberg's best work in quite a while. The actors were all on point and I am happy that the movie did not focus on those moments in Lincoln's presidency that we all study in some length at school, i.e., the civil war, his election campaign, and the moment of his death, but rather, focused more on the pivotal act of his presidency, the process by which the Eman. Proc. came about, and the real person Lincoln was with his wit, compassion, and humility. This is a movie I will most definitely buy the first day it is out on Blu. Expand
  28. Dec 5, 2012
    "Lincoln" is a triumph. Here is a historical film that is heavy in dialogue, but never strays into idleness or melodrama. Intelligent and powerful filmmaking.
  29. Dec 29, 2012
    This movie is worth seeing for the acting alone. Daniel Day Lewis becomes Lincoln. Sally Field shows Mary Todd's humane rather than crazy side. Realizing all the historical facts the film's creators had to sort through and choose between, makes the movie even more amazing. Some might find it a tad slow, but it's worth every detail. The movie is a masterpiece. After seeing it is, one mayThis movie is worth seeing for the acting alone. Daniel Day Lewis becomes Lincoln. Sally Field shows Mary Todd's humane rather than crazy side. Realizing all the historical facts the film's creators had to sort through and choose between, makes the movie even more amazing. Some might find it a tad slow, but it's worth every detail. The movie is a masterpiece. After seeing it is, one may become more aware of the spineless leadership our country has today. Expand
  30. Nov 26, 2012
    With most biopics, the reason we are so interested in them is because they threaten to take their star down from his powerful placement in history, and show him as human rather than god. This year we get two hotly anticipated films which will attempt to do just that: **** and Lincoln. Both men have contributed so much in their respective fields that they are rarely seen in a bad light, norWith most biopics, the reason we are so interested in them is because they threaten to take their star down from his powerful placement in history, and show him as human rather than god. This year we get two hotly anticipated films which will attempt to do just that: **** and Lincoln. Both men have contributed so much in their respective fields that they are rarely seen in a bad light, nor are people ecstatic to see them portrayed as mere men. However, I can definitely say Lincoln attempts to show Abraham Lincoln as one of us, and not merely an icon placed upon an unreachable pedestal. With incredible acting on the part of everyone, but especially Sally Field and Daniel Day-Lewis, and writing by Tony Kushner that is both enticing and fitting for the period, Lincoln is a concrete example of how to make a biopic flourish while still being faithful and engrossing. Read the rest of the review at http://independentcinema.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/lincoln-scratches-his-beard-just-like-any-other-man/ Expand

1. Reviewed by: Kate Stables
    Jan 11, 2013
    Steeped in the bitter political divisions of the Civil War, Spielberg's thrilling film about hardwon freedoms is immersed in its own time, but speaks eloquently to ours.
  2. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Jan 10, 2013
    As unexpected as it is intelligent, thanks to virtuoso work from Spielberg and Kushner, Lincoln is landmark filmmaking, while Day-Lewis is so authentic he pulls off that stovepipe.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Jan 1, 2013
    Lincoln does sometimes get a little sappy around the edges. Though his project here is clearly one of conscious self-restraint, Spielberg can't resist the occasional opportunity for patriotic tear-jerking, usually signaled by a swell of John Williams' symphonic score. But in between, there are long stretches that are as quiet, contemplative, and austere as anything Spielberg has ever done.