Listen Up Philip

6.9

1. Oct 29, 2014
    Disappointing. Really feels dated. Do people still think like this somewhere....like the NE part of the USA? Maybe. A lot of unhappy people here I guess caught up in their own self worth and how to protect it while making themselves miserable.

Only in a tiny world could we have characters like this....but the world is not small anymore...it is really big and somebody should inform the author of this movie.
  2. Mar 27, 2015
    Its strong narrative and old fashioned feel reveal influences from Robert Altman and Woody Allen which allow Alex Ross Perry and his third feature to give us something to really think about. Elisabeth Moss continues to impress as Schwartzman's soon-to-be ex-girlfriend.
  3. Mar 30, 2015
    Excellent movie. If you liked Bored to Death then I suspect you will like this movie. I am beginning to understand that Jason Schwartzman is the king of subtle comic genius. He has a way of delivering absolutely ludicrous lines in a way that I believe. He's his own straight man. Everyone else probably already knows this, but I'm just catching on.

This movie is really funny, but it's not

This movie is really funny, but it's not going to help you figure out what to laugh at.
  4. Jun 27, 2015
    Functioning as a cheap parody of Wes Anderson, Woody Allen and Louis C.K, Listen Up Philip is irritatingly edited and so far up its own ass that it's a wonder Philip can listen to anything at all.

1. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Jun 4, 2015
    Perry somehow allows his cast enough space in this meticulously authored environment to work creative wonders of their own.
  2. Reviewed by: David Hughes
    Jun 2, 2015
    Ultimately, this has the feel of a lazy literary adaptation of a half-remembered novel.
  3. Reviewed by: Steve Davis
    Dec 3, 2014
    The antithesis of a feel-good movie, Listen Up Philip is a challenging experience, largely because it refuses to compromise its protagonist’s dogged preoccupation with himself.