7.3

1. Jun 9, 2013
    A rather enjoyable addition to the Die Hard franchise. Has a good mix of plot and action, The acting is pretty solid as well. I'd recommend it if you are a fan of the old ones.
  2. Sep 27, 2013
    Of the last three "Die Hard"s as of September 27, 2013, this one is definitely the best. It brings back why we fell in love with the first Die Hard,: jokes, explosions, and well-played out scenes. The storyline to this one is especially exceptional, as it feels very real (the third movies seemed like a stretch). If you like movies in general, you will like Live Free.
  3. Sep 18, 2011
    "Live Free of Die Hard" is strong and crazy with impressive CGI and the good guy-bad guy dialogue. It is one hell of a roller coaster ride.
  4. Sep 3, 2013
    Although not on a par with the best in the franchise, Live Free or Die Hard is a fun outing for John McClane. There are some problems, most notably a stilted finale and some ridiculous CGI involving a truck and a jet, but overall this gives you a good shot of old-school meathead action.
  5. May 26, 2013
    Live Free or Die Hard is actually a strange experience; for a film that strays so far from its franchise's staples and roots, this film is pure, action-packed entertainment nonetheless. While I understand why many fans of the franchise might dislike this entry when compared to the others, I still think those people are making a huge mistake. Live Free is a good action/thriller. It hardlyLive Free or Die Hard is actually a strange experience; for a film that strays so far from its franchise's staples and roots, this film is pure, action-packed entertainment nonetheless. While I understand why many fans of the franchise might dislike this entry when compared to the others, I still think those people are making a huge mistake. Live Free is a good action/thriller. It hardly feels like a Die Hard film, which is disappointing, but it's very well directed, well acted, and the script is solid. I enjoyed it a lot. I loved the effects; some were over-the-top for a Die Hard movie, but the sequences were extremely well shot and surprisingly original. Sure, this probably isn't the perfect Die Hard sequel, but it's still a good movie worth seeing! Expand
  6. Mar 31, 2015
    The action here was excellent. Though often hardly believable, it's no Michael Bay crap (it'd need another 20 minutes of throwaway of filler for that). You actually care about the characters and can't help but be entertained by such dynamic scenes.
  7. May 6, 2013
    Don't let the goofy title and the PG-13 rating fool you. It's still a fun "Die Hard" action movie to watch. Even though this movie takes on a bit of a different twist as far as storyline, it still tends to bring back that old Die Hard persona. It has some great action and some great new characters as well. As far as acting goes, there's some really good acting. But characters like ThomasDon't let the goofy title and the PG-13 rating fool you. It's still a fun "Die Hard" action movie to watch. Even though this movie takes on a bit of a different twist as far as storyline, it still tends to bring back that old Die Hard persona. It has some great action and some great new characters as well. As far as acting goes, there's some really good acting. But characters like Thomas Gabriel (Timothy Olyphant) and of course John McLane (Bruce Willis) really make the movie intense. Thomas Gabriel is a very unique terrorist for John to take on. With Olyphant's dark complexity for Gabriel, he really gives us a memorable Die Hard villain. And John McLane is still bad-a** in this PG-13 setting. Speaking of PG-13, it's absurd to have a Die Hard film to be PG-13. I know people got upset with the PG-13 rating (and frankly so did I). But really if you think about it, your basically watching a clean version of Die Hard. Also, if you're going to watch this movie, I recommend the unrated version. It really brings back it's Die Hardness. Overall, even with its PG-13 rating, the movie still kicks a**. Expand
  8. Dec 8, 2013
    I call this film 'Die Hard Light' as the villains aren't that villainous, the supporting cast a little bit goofy and a plot taken straight out of a saturday morning cartoon.
  9. Feb 25, 2015
    O Terceiro melhor na minha opinião,na verdade é um empate com Duro De Matar 88,e Duro De Matar 3:A Vingança 95. Um clássico filme que mostra McClane no século 21,com alta temática de espionagem e foco no que a internet é capaz de fazer. Com cenas de tirar o fôlego,muita comédia e ininterruptas cenas de primeira linha de ação. Com super atuações de Bruce Willis,Mary Elizabeth Winstead eO Terceiro melhor na minha opinião,na verdade é um empate com Duro De Matar 88,e Duro De Matar 3:A Vingança 95. Um clássico filme que mostra McClane no século 21,com alta temática de espionagem e foco no que a internet é capaz de fazer. Com cenas de tirar o fôlego,muita comédia e ininterruptas cenas de primeira linha de ação. Com super atuações de Bruce Willis,Mary Elizabeth Winstead e Justin Long. Uma ótima e original sequência... Expand
  10. Oct 27, 2010
    a decent fourth film to the die hard franchise . bruce willis for the most part was on target as john maclaine amd justin long did a pretty decent job as his side kick . the film's PG rating kinda held it back i felt . felt it coulda been pushed abit further . but its a fun ride while it lasts.
  11. Jun 16, 2013
    Die Hard 4.0 is an all-out American action film. It's big screen shooting and explosions all the way through. Whilst this is all good and keeps your interest, it's amazing how little focus there is on the story. There's really not enough emphasis on the characters and their motivations; nor is there any explanation of how anything magically happens at the touch of a button. Overall it's aDie Hard 4.0 is an all-out American action film. It's big screen shooting and explosions all the way through. Whilst this is all good and keeps your interest, it's amazing how little focus there is on the story. There's really not enough emphasis on the characters and their motivations; nor is there any explanation of how anything magically happens at the touch of a button. Overall it's a good action movie but given the context it could have had a much stronger plot. Expand
  12. Jul 7, 2012
    This Die Hard sequel is decent, but it fails to capture several elements of the original. Though Len Wiseman has expertly crafted his action, but those action sequences don't give Bruce Willis a performance that captures the John McClane that sneaked around a building controlled by terrorists shooting them down one by one or wearing a board saying I hate n--grs to fight the terrorist'sThis Die Hard sequel is decent, but it fails to capture several elements of the original. Though Len Wiseman has expertly crafted his action, but those action sequences don't give Bruce Willis a performance that captures the John McClane that sneaked around a building controlled by terrorists shooting them down one by one or wearing a board saying I hate n--grs to fight the terrorist's brother. That was the TRULY BADASS John McClane, and he was also the most badass element of the franchise. Also, couldn't the antagonists have been better? Timothy Olyphant (Thomas Gabriel) and Maggie Q (Mai Linh) played poorly created antagonists who underestimated John McClane in ridiculous situations. The situations were also more ridiculous than what was ridiculous in the original. Man, it's like Len Wiseman almost ruined Die Hard for me, but he didn't; he just failed to make it great compared to the original due to what changed with John McClane and the action and because of the ridiculous situations. Also, isn't tracking down a computer-slicing terrorists more of a job for an FBI Agent or a spy? because it probably isn't for John McClane. If you like this, that's cool with me, but don't forget it didn't capture the badass John McClane of the original, because when I see Bruce Willis, that's exactly who I see so I still wouldn't recommend it. But at least Bruce Willis's performance in Live Free or Die Hard is still pretty solid and Justin Long did a pretty good performance. ~65/100 Expand
  13. Nov 5, 2014
    Okay, I don't know how, but they did it again. This was actually the first Die Hard I saw before I became familiar with the series. It goes down as my personal favorite as far as action movies are concerned. In the modern age, when everything is run on a computer, a crazy smart computer hacker maniac has no one to stop him should he ever decided to oh, I don't know, dissolve the wholeOkay, I don't know how, but they did it again. This was actually the first Die Hard I saw before I became familiar with the series. It goes down as my personal favorite as far as action movies are concerned. In the modern age, when everything is run on a computer, a crazy smart computer hacker maniac has no one to stop him should he ever decided to oh, I don't know, dissolve the whole system...right? Wrong. The good old hard hitting cop, John McClane is obviously aged but no less fierce and heroic. It was a bold far-fetched plot but maybe not too far fetched. McClane had to commission a nerd to help him which proved a great move considering their dialogue and character differences. Then you throw in the Taken angle where McClane is trying to repair his relationship with his daughter, and this is just an awesome movie. Sure the stakes are as high as they get and so are the stunts, but even when he went up against pretty impossible odds i didn't think anything stepped too far out of bounds considering what happens in other action movies. Bruce Willis played within himself. They brought in a few attractive women. They made sure the bad guys were plain bad guys. This got a higher score because it proved it could remain a rock solid action film even when they downplayed the blood and foul language comparative to the others. Well done. Worth a watch. Expand
  14. Aug 16, 2013
    La más grotesca e imponente de la saga. Un ataque generalizado, no como las otras que solo son puntos en las ciudades. Divertida. Buenas escenas de acción y actuaciones.
  15. Jan 20, 2013
    John McClane has arrived in the 21. century and still knows the moves to kill all gangsters with a minium effort. The story: amazing, Brucie. stunning, the action: mindblowing. It's not a normal film and when the White House explodes on TV, there is no more tension to create. Best action film of the year!!!
  16. Dec 15, 2014
    This movie proves that you don't a hundred 'F-bombs' or fountains of blood to make a great action movie... but the unrated movie is easily much better. I was shocked to see a PG-13 'Die Hard' movie hit the theaters but I must say I was surprisingly happy with the results. The action is great and so is everything else you have come to expect from the series. It's always going to be hardThis movie proves that you don't a hundred 'F-bombs' or fountains of blood to make a great action movie... but the unrated movie is easily much better. I was shocked to see a PG-13 'Die Hard' movie hit the theaters but I must say I was surprisingly happy with the results. The action is great and so is everything else you have come to expect from the series. It's always going to be hard to hold up to the original, but this does a nice job at coming close.
    CONS:
    -Making a usually very cleaver John McClain seem overly dumb when it comes to technology of any kind
    -The lack of blood and language (in the PG-13 version)
    -Can move very slow at times and seems very drawn out by the end

PROS:
    -Classic 'Die Hard' fun
    -Great actions scenes that never seem too over the top (except for the part with the jet)
    -A good mix of classic action and modern tech
    -Mary Elizabeth Winstead... always nice to look at
  17. Oct 19, 2010
    Bruce willis was the best person for the lead role inthis movie. if you want action this is the movie to see. the most action i have seen in a long time. i know i'm a little late for the review but still a must see.
  18. Nov 12, 2014
    This movie is typical 1990's Diehard with a 2007 twist. I love the unrated version. It has tons of action and the things we love the Diehard series for.

Acting: 8/10
    Plot: 9/10
    Themes: 7/10
    Script: 8/10
    Length: 8/10
  19. Mar 26, 2013
    I liked all of the DH (Die Hard) movies prior to this one but this one I like a little more than Die Harder. This movie has everything that a person would expect in a DH movie with a little twist. John McClane is an old fashion cop playing the heroin in the present day digital battlefield. Bruce Willis plays an awesome role in which his character is totally ignorant to the plans that areI liked all of the DH (Die Hard) movies prior to this one but this one I like a little more than Die Harder. This movie has everything that a person would expect in a DH movie with a little twist. John McClane is an old fashion cop playing the heroin in the present day digital battlefield. Bruce Willis plays an awesome role in which his character is totally ignorant to the plans that are be folding around him. The only way he is keeping up with the main villain in this picture is by picking up a suspect/witness hacker that is very technologically savvy. In the end it takes the combined efforts of both the hacker and an old fashion Cop to save the day in this HD film. Congratulations to Len Wiseman for keeping John Mclane's Character consistent in all four movies. In conclusion keeping John's Character oblivious to what was going on and adding a sub heroin of the digital age to the mix helped this movie reach its full potential. Expand
  20. PaulK.
    Jun 27, 2007
    Bruce Willis once again as John McClane is a steamroller crushing everything in his path. He flattens Maggie Q and an assortment of hot, french speaking henchmen. The cooler cell scene w/ the awesome parkour sequences are worth the price of admission alone. If you're looking for action, this should serve as a good primer for Transformers...
  21. JimW.
    Jun 30, 2007
    Held my interest from minute one. Action from start to finish. At this rate, this franchise can go on for many more.
  22. Ashleigh
    Jul 1, 2007
    Great action movie. A couple "only in the movies" stunts, but overall very entertaining. Timothy Olyphant and Justin Long are fantastic!
  23. BillB
    Jul 9, 2007
    Yippee-Ki-Yay! this is a great movie. The stunts were so awesomely outrageous that they made me laugh.
  24. JasonE.
    Aug 13, 2007
    Some guys have all the luck?! Is there any other explanation possible considering B W is both sexier bald and the only human who can outgun a F-16 fighter jet without an automatic audience chortle? Intelligently, the film never allows any mental deliberation even remotely enter our brains...it's slam bam from the opening minute. This is mass produced schlocky lunkhead entertainment Some guys have all the luck?! Is there any other explanation possible considering B W is both sexier bald and the only human who can outgun a F-16 fighter jet without an automatic audience chortle? Intelligently, the film never allows any mental deliberation even remotely enter our brains...it's slam bam from the opening minute. This is mass produced schlocky lunkhead entertainment overwhelmingly geared for those who prefer their movies in through the eyes and out through touche. But director Wiseman intelligently avoids the audience any mental skepticism by always plunging forward with the consequences increasingly growing ever more dire. It really is a throwback action flick without the pervading sense of irony and irreverence which strangles other like-minded fare. Even that blowhard Kevin Smith subverts his enlightened schlump persona to only serve the mechanics. The MAC commericals have given JL some brain credibility allowing the writers to not feel compelled to give McClaine both a mind and rock-solid bod. Move over fantastical 20-something comic book super heroes and welcome 50 back 50 plus Bruce Willis as the summer's #1 action star. Expand
  25. JoeB.
    Jun 29, 2007
    A decent action movie. Not great. The charisma of McClane is lacking compared to previous movies. The movie is not slow. It keeps moving! I give it a seven. (The Rock is a great action movie)
  26. AaronD
    Jun 29, 2007
    Sure, if you look to this movie as anything but a straight up action flick, you might be a bit disappointed. If, however, you're looking for some crazy, over-the-top action with some solid acting by all the major players, especially Bruce Willis, then you can't do much better than this.
  27. Jan
    Jun 30, 2007
    Basically just what i expected. Still a lot of fun to watch Bruce, some real good action scenes, some laughs, Kevin Smith, not much more to say. Just a few more jokes from Bruce himself would have been nice. 8 out of 10 from me
  28. equality7-2521
    Jul 1, 2007
    Loved it. The title alone is worth the price of admission. The only part that really pushed my ability to suspend disbelief is McClane vs the F-35 jet. At that point, it ventured into Woody Woodpecker territory. Still, the apocalyptic premise of a "fire sale" is awesome (and really scary). Other details, such as the Warlock character played by Kevin Smith are too cool as well. Fun. Highly Loved it. The title alone is worth the price of admission. The only part that really pushed my ability to suspend disbelief is McClane vs the F-35 jet. At that point, it ventured into Woody Woodpecker territory. Still, the apocalyptic premise of a "fire sale" is awesome (and really scary). Other details, such as the Warlock character played by Kevin Smith are too cool as well. Fun. Highly recommended. I'll watch it again next week, probably at the Graumann's Chinese. see you there. Expand
  29. RonRonron
    Jul 1, 2007
    Absolutely awesome 2 hours. Willis rules, and this was the best Die Hard yet. Sure the action was over the top, but who cares. Some of the best bad-guy deaths in recent movie memory are in LFODH.
  30. IanC
    Jul 10, 2007
    Very not good, all over the place both in story and geography, rubbish dialogue, bad guys who are mostly pretty benign in action-flick terms and then suddenly turn super-nasty and murderous which just doesn't flow, STUPID stunts that go too far over the top (and one which is pulled straight out of an old Arnie flick so NOTHING new there)... Dumb, empty, sad, and even maybe depressing.
  31. EvanA.
    Jul 1, 2007
    While it may not have been the best movie of all time. Most of the people going to see this move got exactly what they wanted. Another great Die Hard Movie. While the plot and character development suffer a little from the non-stop action, the movie excites
  32. RichH
    Jul 5, 2007
    Throughly entertaining. I wasn't expecting much going into the cinema but I enjoyed every moment. Recommended.
  33. JoeT.
    Jul 8, 2007
    The movie (and it knows it's a 'movie', not a 'film') has a premise, some likable good guys, some appealing-evil bad guys, and a few reasons for blowing things up real gooood. No awkward attempts at character development, metaphor, thematic depths, i.e everything that (I hear) bogs down all this summer's 'Three-quels'. Just don't expect the The movie (and it knows it's a 'movie', not a 'film') has a premise, some likable good guys, some appealing-evil bad guys, and a few reasons for blowing things up real gooood. No awkward attempts at character development, metaphor, thematic depths, i.e everything that (I hear) bogs down all this summer's 'Three-quels'. Just don't expect the movie to stay with you afterwards. Expand
  34. OliverC.
    Jul 9, 2007
    A miserable flick. I'm even a fan of the older die hard movies, i found 1 & 3 good at least. This one was a bunch of nonsense. The plot, the action, everything was absurd. It's hard to get into a movie when it doesn't have to follow the rules of physics.. or reality. Intensely boring! I didn't expect to come out of a die hard movie unthrilled. Transformers owns this.
  35. Kyle
    Jul 9, 2007
    Heartbreaking... I love the Die Hard movies but this is a real stinker. So much of what made the others great was the location becoming one of the characters. Here, there is no central stage for all the action. Also, Bruce seems so grumpy and depressed through the whole film that his one-liners come off as failed attempts to become his old lovable self. The stunts were not suitable for Heartbreaking... I love the Die Hard movies but this is a real stinker. So much of what made the others great was the location becoming one of the characters. Here, there is no central stage for all the action. Also, Bruce seems so grumpy and depressed through the whole film that his one-liners come off as failed attempts to become his old lovable self. The stunts were not suitable for Die Hard and belonged in a Schwarzenegger flick. Finally, though there is lot's more crap to talk about, the editing was pure rubbish. How many times can we have dialog out of sync with actors mouths. There was no smooth flow to this film. It's a big stinky, burning paper bag full of doggy-do. Expand
  36. AaronS.
    Jun 27, 2007
    This is the best movie I've seen this year so far. God Bless John McClane for saving America and saving my summer. From some few others who saw it with me said they felt there was too much. In the age of CGI too much action rarely happens. Every person was believable in their role. Bruce Willis definitely does not act his age. Great movie. Action fans will not be disappointed.
  37. RosemaryB.
    Jun 27, 2007
    I loved it. Of course, some of the action was unrealistic, inasmuch as I can't believe any human body could take some of the blows we see and keep on tickin, but at least it's not slick and computerized. Great humor, realism (yeah I know what I just said, so..all that notwithstanding), and plenty of cheer-out-loud moments.
  38. GregT.
    Jun 27, 2007
    Exactly what you think it is... and extremely well done. Better than the first? Of course not. But satisfying nonetheless.
  39. Isaac
    Jun 28, 2007
    Everything I wanted to see in an action movie. A must see on the big screen...Awesome!
  40. MarcusC.
    Jun 28, 2007
    Hilarious when not violent. At times ridiculously unrealistic but that's what, generally, movies are about.
  41. DebbieG
    Jun 29, 2007
    A perfect Die Hard movie. If you love those movies, a must see!
  42. PaulKotsamanes
    Jun 30, 2007
    There isn't a score high enough for how good this movie is. Sure there are dumb villains, unbelievable stunts, and an invincible aging Bruce Willis, but that's what makes it so good. Is it the best action movie ever, maybe, I can't remember the last movie that was this much fun to watch.
  43. JulianM.
    Jun 30, 2007
    Great and creative action sequences for another great addition to the Die Hard series.
  44. EG.
    Jul 10, 2007
    It's a pretty good movie but as everyone else has pointed out, you definitely need to suspend your disbelief in most of it. Still, the "hacking" was done pretty well compared to what I'm used to seeing in movies like Swordfish. The only scene that really really got to me was the truck vs. freeway vs F-35 Lightning II in the middle of Baltimore scene... that was definitely It's a pretty good movie but as everyone else has pointed out, you definitely need to suspend your disbelief in most of it. Still, the "hacking" was done pretty well compared to what I'm used to seeing in movies like Swordfish. The only scene that really really got to me was the truck vs. freeway vs F-35 Lightning II in the middle of Baltimore scene... that was definitely ridiculous but it was well produced and highly highly entertaining. What else do you expect from a Die Hard movie? It all comes down to John McClane kicking some serious ass. Expand
  45. AndreT.
    Jul 1, 2007
    For me the best was the third. But this one is extremely tight for an action movie. It is funny, the effects are amazing and of course, this is over the top in terms of unrealistic action. The story is quite technical because it revolved around computer terminology. But in my view it's a very good story for that type of movie. The actors are very convincing, even the new ones. A good For me the best was the third. But this one is extremely tight for an action movie. It is funny, the effects are amazing and of course, this is over the top in terms of unrealistic action. The story is quite technical because it revolved around computer terminology. But in my view it's a very good story for that type of movie. The actors are very convincing, even the new ones. A good entertainment and I hope there will be another one. Expand
  46. RatchetB.
    Jul 1, 2007
    For an action movie to keep up with todays standards and not loose itself in flash and excess perversion to entertain the audience, Live Free Or Die Hard will go down as not only one of the best of the Die Hard series, but most definitely one of the true great action movies of 2007.
  47. Shane
    Jul 16, 2007
    This movie replaces Die Hard 1 as my favourite movie of all time. It is non-stop action. It just doesn't stop, I was lucky enough to go to the bathroom for about 1 minute when there was nothing happen and the second I got back things started blowing up again. If you want to see awsome action..then this is your movie.
  48. JasonJ.
    Jul 10, 2007
    I am a big fan of Die Hard one and I thought the third one was pretty good as well. How is this 2007 installment getting such good reviews? I left the theatre with about 30 min left in the movie. There was no way that this movie was getting any better. I already didn't care about any of the characters or where the plot was going. They did two things here that were fundamentally I am a big fan of Die Hard one and I thought the third one was pretty good as well. How is this 2007 installment getting such good reviews? I left the theatre with about 30 min left in the movie. There was no way that this movie was getting any better. I already didn't care about any of the characters or where the plot was going. They did two things here that were fundamentally wrong. One, they introduced Kill Bill-type fighting scenes (Bruce Willis fist fighting a hot Asian woman? Give me a break) . At least Hollie Genaro (in the first one) had a certain down-home sexiness to her and, of course, she didn't get involved in any long, drawn out kung fu scenes. The people in this movie are supermodelesque which ruins the movie (people with no sense of taste like that style). Two, the action scenes weren't believable. They were more on par with a fantasy movie, or as another reviewer put it, they belonged in an installment of Terminator. The reason why the first one worked is that the action was not-so-far-fetched, but still very exciting. It's an art form that requires as much restraint as imagination to get it just right. What a horrible movie. It will probably still make money because it is a name-brand, just like a Mike Tyson fight (when was the last time he put on a good show?) RIP Die Hard. Expand
  49. JaredC
    Jul 20, 2007
    Awesome action and extremely thrilling.
  50. ArthurC
    Jul 2, 2007
    Wow! This is the one sequel other than Fantastic Four I had the least faith in being good. I was wrong. They certainly captured the energy and fun of the Die Hard series. It went above and beyond With a Vengence. John McClane still rocks. The only thing that kept it from being as good as the original was a pretty poorly conceived father/daughter subplot. Other than that, this may be the Wow! This is the one sequel other than Fantastic Four I had the least faith in being good. I was wrong. They certainly captured the energy and fun of the Die Hard series. It went above and beyond With a Vengence. John McClane still rocks. The only thing that kept it from being as good as the original was a pretty poorly conceived father/daughter subplot. Other than that, this may be the most fun movie of the summer so far. Expand
  51. WilliamB.
    Jul 2, 2007
    Fast paced, funny, and totally awesome. Bruce Willis still shines, just enjoy the show.
  52. AdnyA.
    Jul 2, 2007
    in a time when CGI heroes fills our movie screen, this is just the right ingredient to bring things back to the way action movies used to be. This is Die Hard reborn for our modern day. With the large scale threat, slick dialog, and heavy action we've come to know from the series, I guess it would only take Bruce Willis to bring things back to basic fun film making. and thank god in a time when CGI heroes fills our movie screen, this is just the right ingredient to bring things back to the way action movies used to be. This is Die Hard reborn for our modern day. With the large scale threat, slick dialog, and heavy action we've come to know from the series, I guess it would only take Bruce Willis to bring things back to basic fun film making. and thank god he's not 3D. Im off to have a beer in honor of Bruce Willis...the man who saved my summer of 2007. This has been the only movie i walked out of (so far) without any major disappointments. instead i walked out with my jaw still dropped from 95% of the action i've witnessed in the film. Expand
  53. SerajT
    Jul 2, 2007
    You would think that a Die Hard movie cant rock a PG-13. I would say this movie was almost on the same level as the first one, if not its on the same level. This movie does a great job for PH-13 limitations, meaning it has its fair share of Explosions, Cursing, and beating women. Some of the stunts are a bt over the top but damn its just way to cool. Great movie. Bruce, you are still the man.
  54. JasonS.
    Jul 2, 2007
    Only one good scene, Mclain beats down some chick, like a pimp. A PG13 film, Mcclain never uses the F word, not much of a thriller/suspense, just all action and very cheesy unconvincing storyline. Better off watching on DVD, in R rated version.
  55. JoeyK.
    Jul 3, 2007
    Another sequel to an old action series? Ridiculous trailers drenched in attempted patriotism? I was ready and expecting for this movie to fail in at least one aspect, but it didn't. Not in the least. Expect typical action film fare: ie one liners, fairly familiar story, ridiculous physical feats, etc. But all around, It's one of the best Action films in ages, which is the best Another sequel to an old action series? Ridiculous trailers drenched in attempted patriotism? I was ready and expecting for this movie to fail in at least one aspect, but it didn't. Not in the least. Expect typical action film fare: ie one liners, fairly familiar story, ridiculous physical feats, etc. But all around, It's one of the best Action films in ages, which is the best you can expect from Die Hard. Expand
  56. Fantasy
    Jul 4, 2007
    Bruce Willis, playing why of course, Bruce Willis puts this flick over the top with his macho movie star persona shining very brightly. The storyline is cartoonish but that doesn't mean that a good time will not be had by one and all. It's a very good popcorn action movie and Bruce appears to be having fun and letting the audience in on it. Go and enjoy.
  57. RayG
    Jul 5, 2007
    For an action movie its great its more than u expect, unbelievable stunts combined with McClain's old school fighting techniques,wow.Plus the whole idea is original , a hacker trying to take over the country with all his high tech equipment and fire power real nice .But They should have taken in consideration the kind of unrealistic scenes like when John took over the jet plane and For an action movie its great its more than u expect, unbelievable stunts combined with McClain's old school fighting techniques,wow.Plus the whole idea is original , a hacker trying to take over the country with all his high tech equipment and fire power real nice .But They should have taken in consideration the kind of unrealistic scenes like when John took over the jet plane and the truck ways of climbing the broken bridge, except that it was a delight!!! Expand
  58. KipM.
    Jul 5, 2007
    Slightly below "Die Hard with a Vengeance" but above "Die Harder" by a longshot.
  59. BenjaminB.
    Jul 6, 2007
    When you like the other "die hard"-movies, you will love this one.
  60. J.R.
    Jul 6, 2007
    Good stuff, but the PG-13 rating does take away from some of the McClane-isims. Other than that, visually awesome, great action sequences, and plenty of cool baddy deaths. I hope they make a 5th film and I hope it is R. It is just weird not to see the blood splatters reminicent of the original trilogy. Like in DH when John is crawling under the table, Takagi's brains, and of course Good stuff, but the PG-13 rating does take away from some of the McClane-isims. Other than that, visually awesome, great action sequences, and plenty of cool baddy deaths. I hope they make a 5th film and I hope it is R. It is just weird not to see the blood splatters reminicent of the original trilogy. Like in DH when John is crawling under the table, Takagi's brains, and of course DH2 has some of the most bloody deaths ie: Robert Patrick through the vent grate, and In DH3 we have the elevator splatter. Anyway, I could talk about men's fashion and industrialization all day but I'm afraid work must intrude. Go see this film., and hope they make another two! Expand
  61. GarethC.
    Jul 8, 2007
    Brilliant entertainment. Possibly the best of the lot. If you're a Die Hard fan you will not be dissapointed. Bruce still enough to be convincing in the role, and the rest of the cast are also great. Not one to miss - see this on the big screen!
  62. RamoY.
    Jul 8, 2007
    Horrible movie beyond any logic. I cant believe this movie got some many avid reviews. This movie was a stinker from start to finish. This movie lost its focus creating a movie full of campy dialouge that would make the Governator shake his head. The action was way WAY over the top (a car somehow jumping over a ramp through divine intervention to hit a helicopter... hold on a minute while Horrible movie beyond any logic. I cant believe this movie got some many avid reviews. This movie was a stinker from start to finish. This movie lost its focus creating a movie full of campy dialouge that would make the Governator shake his head. The action was way WAY over the top (a car somehow jumping over a ramp through divine intervention to hit a helicopter... hold on a minute while I cringe). Mclain was suppose to be a everyday man caught in something bigger than himself. Not a bare headed 9 mm wielding terminator full of unlimited ammo. Of course this movie will make money because all the public cares about these days is numerous loud explosions and a few one liners after a few shameless deaths at the hands of the bald assassin. If you want unreality and mindless campy dialouge watch Fox News. Expand
  63. ShaunnaW.
    Aug 1, 2007
    Classic action flick. Highly recommend it. Spread the word. This thing has legs.
  64. BrutusO.
    Aug 14, 2007
    The action was a little spoiled by the absurdity factor, and the Dad/daughter plotline creaks like a door on a pirate ship. And the geek sub-culture thing with Kevin Smith etc was too cheesy for words (Hey geek! Can you patch me into the totally secure FBI HQ comms system despite the power grid being out and the world collapsing? Oh sure, no problem, O mighty bleeding one! Give me 10 The action was a little spoiled by the absurdity factor, and the Dad/daughter plotline creaks like a door on a pirate ship. And the geek sub-culture thing with Kevin Smith etc was too cheesy for words (Hey geek! Can you patch me into the totally secure FBI HQ comms system despite the power grid being out and the world collapsing? Oh sure, no problem, O mighty bleeding one! Give me 10 secs). But the action was reasonable, even though McClane should have been dead and broken in the first 15 minutes, ie the first time he fell several stories onto iron bars and concrete. The fight with Maggie Q was sufficiently brutal to hold the attention however, and the villain was almost ruthless enough to be interesting. Although the usual problem emerged - why did he not just kill Bruce et all when he could have? However, the humour was OK, and the hysteria when people find they are not able to rely on the "system" was rather droll. But a basically entertaining movie, which was the objective, after all. It certainly moves, like a movie should. This film is not a good advertisement for the quality of American flyover construction though. Talk about a house of cards. Stick to the dirt tracks people! Expand
  65. RockH.
    Aug 16, 2007
    This was a real mediocre movie. The fact that so many people loved this thing, is beyond me. I've never seen such a stupid movie. It was a very violent live action cartoon. What really bothered me was the way the women in the movie were treated. McClane's daughter is slapped around and called a slanderous name and treated roughly. That's not the worst of it Mai,Maggie Q, is This was a real mediocre movie. The fact that so many people loved this thing, is beyond me. I've never seen such a stupid movie. It was a very violent live action cartoon. What really bothered me was the way the women in the movie were treated. McClane's daughter is slapped around and called a slanderous name and treated roughly. That's not the worst of it Mai,Maggie Q, is brutally beaten in a scene very similar to a domestic violence incident than a actual screen fight. The way he held her hair in his hand after throwing her into a shelf, and being very amused at it, threw me off. It was very misogynistic. Not to mention the racist and sexist comments he makes at her after killing her. That was going to far. I didn't know violence against women was supposed to entertaining. I guess it is to a lot "sick" people. The other women characters were nothing more than props. I mean this movie was misogynistic and had hostile chauvinism throughout. A very poor movie to be shown to kids. I hope people(especially young people) don't imitate what they saw in the movie. Shame on Hollywood and Bruce Willis. Collapse
  66. JaredB.
    Nov 6, 2007
    Being a fan of the entire "Die Hard" series, I went into this one expecting it to be as entertaining as the others. I was not disappointed. I found that I was actually MORE entertained by "Live free or Die Hard" than any of the other films. Bruce Willis returns as John McClane, who is no longer on the force and is given the job of escorting a computer hacker accused of some cybercrimes. Being a fan of the entire "Die Hard" series, I went into this one expecting it to be as entertaining as the others. I was not disappointed. I found that I was actually MORE entertained by "Live free or Die Hard" than any of the other films. Bruce Willis returns as John McClane, who is no longer on the force and is given the job of escorting a computer hacker accused of some cybercrimes. Complicating matters, McClane's daughter, Lucy, is kidnapped by a gang of, you guessed it, cyberhackers who are planning a terrorist attack on the Capital Building in Washington, D.C. McClane enlists the hackers help. What follows is a series of chase scenes and special effects that can only be described in one word: awesome. I especially liked the scene where a car and a helicopter collide in midair. As I stated before, I am a fan of the entire series. I preferred this one over the others for two reasons. First of all, the villains, especially Timothy Olyphant's character, were some of the best in the entire series. Secondly, while this film does contain some language, we finally go through the entire movie without hearing the mother of all cusswords. For me, this was a welcome change. If you like action films, I can't recommend this film highly enough. Yippee-ki-yay, indeed. Expand
  67. benjy
    Nov 9, 2007
    Its not believable' so? It's a summer blockbuster and it's good fun to watch thats all that should really matter. People moan about these films but they really shouldn't. Sure he's a bit more of a super hero but he still gets half beaten to death he doesn't come out flying he comes out with a bullet in him. Thats not superman!
  68. MichaelR
    Dec 30, 2007
    In a nutshell its a fun popcorn movie and nothing special.Its Bruce Willis's best movie ever by far.The acting and dialog was decent.It definitely has a unique and different plot then most action movies which is great and the action in the movie is what makes this movie watchable. Bruce should stop making movies.
  69. CathyF.
    Jun 27, 2007
    It was refreshing to see an old fashioned action movie. CGI has taken over most of our movies, so this was a nice change of pace. His character's dialogue was a little subdued due to the PG-13 rating, but he can still kick a**!!!!
  70. TBagger
    Jun 27, 2007
    Much to my surprise, it was good - self aware, great stunts, nothing too ridiculous for DieHard. Willis, Long (the Mac guy) and Oliphant as the bad guy all deliver very good performances. Not only did it exceed expectations, it was good.
  71. JordanA.
    Jun 27, 2007
    This movie was awesome. Highly recommended if you like action movies. It was also very, very funny. Everyone should go and see this movie.
  72. MatB.
    Jun 27, 2007
    Stupid movie, with a good action scene or two. Again when a plot point gets hard to solve, computers can do anything
  73. EdwardC.
    Jun 27, 2007
    Saw this at the 1201 am 1st showing....Very well done, especially considering the pg-13 rating. Justin long does a remarkable job and the stunts are amazing.
    Jun 28, 2007
    Everything you want in a summer action blockbuster.
  75. ChrisE
    Jun 28, 2007
    Great buddy flick, some of the action is so out there, they wouldn't put it in a video game (HA!) Bruce is Bruce, having a good ol' time...it's a little too long and some of the witty banter needed a few of those punches that McClain was giving out with gusto but I really couldn't complain about that, but it does bring up two of the major issues that I had with thisGreat buddy flick, some of the action is so out there, they wouldn't put it in a video game (HA!) Bruce is Bruce, having a good ol' time...it's a little too long and some of the witty banter needed a few of those punches that McClain was giving out with gusto but I really couldn't complain about that, but it does bring up two of the major issues that I had with this flick. ...not a good movie to show examples on how to treat a lady...there were three women that got more than a minute of screen time and two of them get smack around by men (im sorry...did I mention how McClain jacked the "Asian" chick up?) and the one lady who didn't get beat down was nothing more than a diversity backdrop...she was in the room with the big boys but was nothing more than a live prop. Susan B. Anthony would be so proud. the other thing? that was the most questionable PG-13 I've seen in a while.... Expand
  76. GsS
    Jun 29, 2007
    Unlike the previous Die Hard movies which were somewhat reality based this movie goes off to James Bond land. This movie is pure eye candy for the popcorn sub 21 crowd. I enjoyed the movie for what it is. The plot is actually somewhat borrowed from Die Hard 2 when ex-military hijacked entire air port computer system this time they take the entire countries computer system. Scenes are Unlike the previous Die Hard movies which were somewhat reality based this movie goes off to James Bond land. This movie is pure eye candy for the popcorn sub 21 crowd. I enjoyed the movie for what it is. The plot is actually somewhat borrowed from Die Hard 2 when ex-military hijacked entire air port computer system this time they take the entire countries computer system. Scenes are stolen from movies like True Lies and even Lost World Jurassic Park, among others. The action scenes carry this movie, and are well directed by Len Wiseman. But plot logic is moronic. Why? Why would a NYC detective transport and pick up a computer hacker in Camden, NJ and transport him to DC. It makes absolutely no sense. It is pure horrible writing. I love NJ, my home state, but it makes no sense for McClane to be doing that. The list goes on and on and on. McClane flying a helicopter, etc. Justin Long is pretty good as the sidekick much better than i thought he would be but Timothy Olyphant is a boring villain and McClane's daughter Elizebeth Winstead is attractive but can't act. I like Olphant, he was great in Scream 2 and the movie with Elisa Culthbert but here he doesn't do much. Bruce Willis is McClane and does a decent job but much of the humor and real life quality to his performance is missing.McClane is no longer a real cop but a super hero. I like taking the movie out of one local as they did in Die Hard with a Vengeance but here McClane is driving all over the country while roads are bogged down and then flying a helicopter. Check reality out the door and you'll enjoy the movie for what it is. What the action slows down toward the end of the picture and dumbness of the film comes out. When the action picks up again the movie gives you eye candy so you forgive it's dumbness. The ending is stupid but hey it's entertaining. Don't for one second compare this to the original Die Hard it's not in the same ballpark. There is no sense of reality or real danger for the McClane character. Not nearly as good. The PG 13 rating results in loss of curses but the action is there, so not a tremendous loss. Enjoy the action and laugh at the plot Expand
  77. ColinG.
    Jun 29, 2007
    Movies like this are what downloader pirates to the theater. A good "Die Hard" movie can only be truly appreciated in a Big Screen setting. Check your cynicism at the door folks and have some fun. Easily the best DH since the first and I LOVED DH2. Forget mistakes like "Bandits" and Striking Distance." You can even forget his roles in "Pulp Fiction" and "Sixth Sense." Because Willis was Movies like this are what downloader pirates to the theater. A good "Die Hard" movie can only be truly appreciated in a Big Screen setting. Check your cynicism at the door folks and have some fun. Easily the best DH since the first and I LOVED DH2. Forget mistakes like "Bandits" and Striking Distance." You can even forget his roles in "Pulp Fiction" and "Sixth Sense." Because Willis was born to play the action hero and he's still the best. NO FOOLING. Expand
  78. BenjaminT.
    Jun 29, 2007
    As long as you forget all about actual feasability, this movie is a lot of fun!
  79. JoeD.
    Jun 29, 2007
    If you went to this movie expecting anything better than a great action flick, you were kidding yourself. Based upon these expectations, I thought it was great!
  80. IsaiahM.
    Jun 29, 2007
    Best movie I've seen in a long time. Who needs a super hero when you've got John McClane?
  81. JA.
    Jun 29, 2007
    Best action Movie on a long time, just as funny - but not as corny - as the first. Best use of computers in a main stream action movie - it wasn't too made up, over simplified, or overly wrong.
  82. EmilyK.
    Jun 29, 2007
    Totally insane thrill ride all the way through. Just nearly from the get-go the action began, and between near-misses, laughs, oos and awes, this movie makes you leave the theater wanting more. Definitely a must see.
  83. ChrisW.
    Jun 30, 2007
    Pure Hollywood Gold! So much action that I felt like the theatre was going to collapse. The sound of this movie alone will give you an adrenaline rush. Bruce Willis was great and the writing is decent. If you want to see the best Action movie this summer... this is it! If you want Sci-fi, then go see transformers. If you want real American action... then it's time for you to "Live Pure Hollywood Gold! So much action that I felt like the theatre was going to collapse. The sound of this movie alone will give you an adrenaline rush. Bruce Willis was great and the writing is decent. If you want to see the best Action movie this summer... this is it! If you want Sci-fi, then go see transformers. If you want real American action... then it's time for you to "Live Free or Die Hard!" Expand
  84. IdaH.
    Jun 30, 2007
    Two hours of engaging escapism and thoroughly entertaining.
  85. filmfan
    Jun 30, 2007
    Awesome flick. great acting, great story, great action sequences. what else could you ask for in a summer movie. Great Popcorn Fun flick.
  86. ChrisC
    Jul 10, 2007
    Weak. The action scenes were too far-fetched even for a kill-em-all action flick. Everybody in the world except Bruce Willis and the Mac guy came off as completely incompetent. Willis continually survives due to complete blind luck, and there is no way in hell a guy in a jet fighter could possibly fail to destroy a truck. They didn't even take the time to make you care enough about Weak. The action scenes were too far-fetched even for a kill-em-all action flick. Everybody in the world except Bruce Willis and the Mac guy came off as completely incompetent. Willis continually survives due to complete blind luck, and there is no way in hell a guy in a jet fighter could possibly fail to destroy a truck. They didn't even take the time to make you care enough about the plot to root for the good guys in the action scenes. It's obvious they just got a few ideas for moments action scenes and then contrived the rest of the plot around creating those moments. So basically, Die Hard 4 does all the dumb stuff most action flicks do, except more transparently, and without tying it together with the plot the way good action flicks do. Expand
  87. maria
    Jul 10, 2007
    It was okay. kinda mad about it not being rated R but, for what it was, it was a die hard movie. big stunts, smart ass remarks, over the top senerio- it was just that of a 7.
  88. RubenN.
    Jul 1, 2007
    Though a non-believer at first, now I'm hoping for a 5th movie! I don't know how it happened, but it just did. Don't miss it, the Die Hards are templates for action movies around the world.
  89. MarcK.
    Jul 13, 2007
    Saw it only because most of the reviews were so positive. I'll echo many others and say that many of the action scenes were so implausible and so over the top that you felt you were either watching a cartoon, or that Bruce Willis was secretly Superman, and therefore invulnerable. Reminded me of the Arnold film, "Eraser" of a few years back - somewhat entertaining, but ridiculously Saw it only because most of the reviews were so positive. I'll echo many others and say that many of the action scenes were so implausible and so over the top that you felt you were either watching a cartoon, or that Bruce Willis was secretly Superman, and therefore invulnerable. Reminded me of the Arnold film, "Eraser" of a few years back - somewhat entertaining, but ridiculously implausible. Expand
  90. BiffW
    Jul 17, 2007
    Excellent. Back to the classic action film we grew up with. Lives up to the original. For those who don't like it because the action stunts seem improbable - get real, that's what makes it fun. I suppose you also hate Superhero movies, because it's improbable. With that attitude you'd better just stick to documentaries.
  91. TonyL
    Jul 17, 2007
    As some reviewers have already mentioned, the action scenes are too implausible. Maggie Q makes quite an impression. I hope to see more of her. The hacker sidekick was necessary for the plot, but I could have done without him. But for the price of a matinee, It still is a good ride.
  92. TomC
    Jul 2, 2007
    This was a great movie for a sequel. I read the user ratings and believe me they are more accurate then the critics. How some critics gave this movie a low score is beyond me. Being a critic must be the easiest job in the world, useless too. Because 80% of the time they are completely off. Some critics should realize most people out there don't give a rats ass about a movie other This was a great movie for a sequel. I read the user ratings and believe me they are more accurate then the critics. How some critics gave this movie a low score is beyond me. Being a critic must be the easiest job in the world, useless too. Because 80% of the time they are completely off. Some critics should realize most people out there don't give a rats ass about a movie other then its entertainment value. Expand
  93. RienyeN
    Jul 23, 2007
    It was a good movie..maybe a little long but non-stop action all the way. The one criticism i have is the scene in the tunnel..it was a little TOO convenient the way he could drive the car through all the carnage..it was a wide open road. But all in all, an awesome movie. Better than Die Hard With A Vengance, i reckon!
  94. DF
    Jul 31, 2007
    Old school action combined with 21st century terror = a delicious combination of absurd action and over the top humor.
  95. JohnS.
    Jul 4, 2007
    Live Free or Die Hard is represents a true old school action movie. This is on the same level as the original Die Hard. The Die Hard mythology is alive an well. I'm glad the director did not get caught up in CGI and slow motion shots. Bruce Willis is the only man that can play John McClane.
  96. ZachC.
    Jul 4, 2007
    This movie was totally awesome from beginning to end. Hardcore Die Hard fans will absolutely love Bruce Willis' bad-ass one liners. One of the most fun movie-going experiences I've had ever.
  97. Bukkarooo
    Jul 7, 2007
    Just saw Live Free or Die Hard.... and it was amazing!!! My adrenaline was pumping almost every second! The main story is about a man who used to work for the government, suggested they streagthen their security, then was publicly humiliated by them. So, to show them how vulnerable it is, he attempts a "fire sale". That is, shutting down everything run by computers. Water, power, phones, Just saw Live Free or Die Hard.... and it was amazing!!! My adrenaline was pumping almost every second! The main story is about a man who used to work for the government, suggested they streagthen their security, then was publicly humiliated by them. So, to show them how vulnerable it is, he attempts a "fire sale". That is, shutting down everything run by computers. Water, power, phones, everything. John McClaine, a detective for the NYPD (main character in this and every other Die Hard) had a fight with his daughter, then is sent to pick up a hacker, Matthew Farrel, and bring him to DC as a suspect for the hacking attempt on the white house. On the way, the fire sail spreads, and they figure out the people behind it are trying to kill Farrel. When they get into DC, the traffic lights are hacked to create mass chaos, there is an anthrax scare, and a video is put up on TV with a message, with each word/phrase from video clips from our presidents, Bush and Nixon and the like. I don't want to give to much away, so I'll stop now. I highly reccomend this to any fan of the Die Hard movies, action movies, or anyone looking for an adrenaline filled way to pass the time. * * * * * 5 Stars Expand
  98. RoyM
    Jul 8, 2007
    Highly entertaining. It's a given you need to suspend belief watching Die Hard, but there were a few situations that were ridiculous: like the 100 lb woman who was the toughest fighter of all; like the jet shooting a missile and taking down an entire freeway; and like the van conveniently stopping right next to the jet crash. If they would not have stretched so far for these Highly entertaining. It's a given you need to suspend belief watching Die Hard, but there were a few situations that were ridiculous: like the 100 lb woman who was the toughest fighter of all; like the jet shooting a missile and taking down an entire freeway; and like the van conveniently stopping right next to the jet crash. If they would not have stretched so far for these situations, I would have given it a 10! Expand
  99. Sam
    Jul 9, 2007
    Live Free or Die Hard Being the fourth part of a series believed to die long ago, there was much skepticism over Live Free or Die Hard. Fans of the original were worried it would be a dry, tired, ridiculous, and a hopeful end to the series. The PG-13 rating didn
  100. MartinS.
    Jul 9, 2007
    Personally I've always found the Die Hard francise a symbol of all that's wrong with American Movie making but I'd be lying if I said that this one wasn't entertaining. There's enough action in this one to keep your mind off of the plot.

1. It's simply old-school stunts and movie magic.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The sheer quantity of often outrageous stunts should help overcome franchise mustiness to entertain.
  3. Reviewed by: Jessica Reaves
    Early in LFODH, a villain taunts our hero, calling him "a Timex in a digital world"; McClane, characteristically, takes the dig as a compliment. Two hours, countless butt-kickings and hairbreadth escapes later, we know why.