7.5

1. Mar 8, 2013
    Lockout is a forgettable sci-fi action flick. Guy Pierce plays against type, which is kind of fun, but some dodgy effects, neutered violence and a general lack of identity ultimately overpower the good things on offer here. Lockout makes for a nice one-time viewing but it doesn't have the legs for repeats.
  2. Oct 29, 2012
    All I can say is this movie was entertaining enough to keep me watching until the end. Other than that, there is nothing special about it. It's one of those movies that you will probably watch on cable TV some Saturday afternoon when nothing else is on and you don't have anything else to do.

The story is interesting enough, but the pure cheesy rots through towards the end. I don't want to spoil anything so I will not go into that but let's just say the "love" interest part is totally predictable. The action is good and the special effects are on par with today's movies.

My gripe would be the acting, mainly from the support characters. The 2 leads are okay, and that is about it. The rest of the cast pretty much mulls their way through their lines and shows no real character while doing so. The main villain is not at all convincing as a psycho.

In all, I thought this movie was exactly what I thought it was going to be: a movie I would watch, be satisfied that I didn't waste 2 hours and then forget about until I see it on TV some time later.
  3. Apr 13, 2012
    The biggest problem with this movie is that it's just simply generic. It's basically Die Hard set in space. Nothing new. The film does have its cool moments which can take the focus away from the flaws, and there is a sense that serious effort was put into making it, but in the end, Lockout is just another generic action flick. If you just want an entertaining action movie and you couldn'tThe biggest problem with this movie is that it's just simply generic. It's basically Die Hard set in space. Nothing new. The film does have its cool moments which can take the focus away from the flaws, and there is a sense that serious effort was put into making it, but in the end, Lockout is just another generic action flick. If you just want an entertaining action movie and you couldn't care less if it has been done before, I'd recommend this movie, as it DOES have moments that are very cool and entertaining. However, if you're looking for something fresh, new, and original, look somewhere else. Expand
  4. Apr 18, 2012
    this is the kind of movie you can't say is a masterpiece, but at the same time you can't stop enjoying. Sure, some special effects are cheap, sure some lines you've heard over and over again. But these days, this one is as good a b movie as it gets. This isn't Guy Pierce's best performance, but he gets the job done as an off the map cop that only does things his own way, tells jokes, getsthis is the kind of movie you can't say is a masterpiece, but at the same time you can't stop enjoying. Sure, some special effects are cheap, sure some lines you've heard over and over again. But these days, this one is as good a b movie as it gets. This isn't Guy Pierce's best performance, but he gets the job done as an off the map cop that only does things his own way, tells jokes, gets punched (and punches) a lot and kick a lot of ass. This is like Escape from New York meet the Transporter. Generic ? Kinda. Easy ? in a way. But enjoyable ? Sure is too. Expand
  5. Apr 26, 2012
    It's close to the definition of an average film. Pearce is terrific in his highly original and refreshing role - for him - but the "bad guys" weren't nearly interesting or threatening enough to make it work. It could have been more like a Die Hard film with better-drawn characters. And was one of the early car chases supposed to look like a videogame cut-scene? Did they just not have theIt's close to the definition of an average film. Pearce is terrific in his highly original and refreshing role - for him - but the "bad guys" weren't nearly interesting or threatening enough to make it work. It could have been more like a Die Hard film with better-drawn characters. And was one of the early car chases supposed to look like a videogame cut-scene? Did they just not have the budget to film that one? Very interesting. It's great seeing Maggie Grace again, but she doesn't bring enough to rescue the film into the green (recommended) territory. Expand
  6. Apr 19, 2012
    It wasn't terrible and it wasn't really good. Lockout provides some spectacle that will make you enjoy and feel a little thrill as it all unfolds. But the biggest problem with the movie is the multiple plot setup that never goes beyond skin depth. It's a shame, because this could have been a dark horse for best "summer flick" of 2012 had most everything not felt so rushed and cut off,It wasn't terrible and it wasn't really good. Lockout provides some spectacle that will make you enjoy and feel a little thrill as it all unfolds. But the biggest problem with the movie is the multiple plot setup that never goes beyond skin depth. It's a shame, because this could have been a dark horse for best "summer flick" of 2012 had most everything not felt so rushed and cut off, but instead we get more of a missed opportunity. See it if you want, but I have a feeling there might be more big-screen entertainment value out of the soon-to-be released Battleship. Expand
  7. Apr 23, 2012
    There are some cool special effects, and overall the acting is good, but the story is stale and the believability factor crosses the line. Example - at one point Guy Pearce jumps off a high rise during a chase. He ends up uninjured without a scratch, maybe just a little winded. He endures so much physical abuse throughout the film but is like a cartoon character, he just keeps going.There are some cool special effects, and overall the acting is good, but the story is stale and the believability factor crosses the line. Example - at one point Guy Pearce jumps off a high rise during a chase. He ends up uninjured without a scratch, maybe just a little winded. He endures so much physical abuse throughout the film but is like a cartoon character, he just keeps going. The other thing about the film that is annoying is Joseph Gilgun, who plays the bad guy. His acting is great, BUT I couldn't understand more than 5 words he said throughout the film. He has a very thick Aussie accent. He needed to clean up the accent a little for American audiences. His brother in the film is also a bad guy and has an Aussie accent but you can easily understand him. This wasn't a bad film but it had too many implausibilities to recommend. Expand
  8. Jun 15, 2012
    Lockout is never meant to be a serious, Guy Pearce can do what the best he can with steroid and junk jokes from Luc Besson but well, somehow it's work.
  9. Apr 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In the later part of the 21st-century the worst criminals the planet has to offer are kept safely away from public in stasis aboard an orbiting prison known as MS: One. Although it is never explained in the film, it does not take a rocket scientist to guess that â Expand
  10. Apr 16, 2012
    Uhhh, it's that type of movie when someone escapes space and parachutes down onto a freeway in the middle of NYC/DC? Humor was funny at some points but way too forced. I can just picture the writer laughing at his own jokes behind a computer screen. Entertaining? Yes. Good movie? No.
  11. Apr 14, 2012
    A big, noisy mess, but rocketing with excitement, this movie never lets up the pace for a second. The lighting is murky throughout, as you may expect from a space station film. The acting by Guy Pearce and company is good. If you like explosions, bad guys and a few plot twists thrown in, you may enjoy this. They didn't quite explore the potential of the space setting as much as I thoughtA big, noisy mess, but rocketing with excitement, this movie never lets up the pace for a second. The lighting is murky throughout, as you may expect from a space station film. The acting by Guy Pearce and company is good. If you like explosions, bad guys and a few plot twists thrown in, you may enjoy this. They didn't quite explore the potential of the space setting as much as I thought they could- there's more to science fiction than crawling through tunnels. Still, it's a brisk adventure and will keep you from getting bored. Expand
  12. Dec 29, 2012
    bradaviel explained this movie perfectly. It's not a masterpiece but you can't stop enjoying it. It was a pretty solid movie that I did enjoy watching, It's definently worth checking out.
  13. Apr 13, 2012
    Lockout, is a good movie, I remember when I watch the trailer, I think "a sorprise of the year?", but no, I watch Lockout, and the movie have much mistakes, the trama sounds excellent, but have some terrible problems in the development, the cast is excellent, Guy Pearce (OMG), but other have some regular performances, I think that the movie can be better.
  14. Apr 13, 2012
    Guy Pearce play's a sarcastic falsely convicted agent that has to go to space to save the President's daughter. And though it looks like it doesn't work, it kind of does, barely. Any normal person would enjoy this movie, and since I consider myself normal, I enjoyed it. It was a popcorn popping action movie that really worked it's hardest to fit itself together. It's nothing that new, andGuy Pearce play's a sarcastic falsely convicted agent that has to go to space to save the President's daughter. And though it looks like it doesn't work, it kind of does, barely. Any normal person would enjoy this movie, and since I consider myself normal, I enjoyed it. It was a popcorn popping action movie that really worked it's hardest to fit itself together. It's nothing that new, and though it really only goes surface level, what else was there to expect? The CGI is kind of shady at times but it maneuvers around on the space visual effects quite well for it's low budget. Lower your expectations and imagine watching you're going to watch a movie like Transformers and you'll have a good time. Expand
  15. Apr 22, 2012
    I certainly enjoyed this movie well enough, but, that's because I showed up expecting it to be ridiculous. How can you not with a premise like this? It is a bit generic, and some of the special effects, especially during the early police chase are.... unimpressive. However, for a mindless action movie, it does have a little charm. Can't say I'd recommend it to everyone, but for a badI certainly enjoyed this movie well enough, but, that's because I showed up expecting it to be ridiculous. How can you not with a premise like this? It is a bit generic, and some of the special effects, especially during the early police chase are.... unimpressive. However, for a mindless action movie, it does have a little charm. Can't say I'd recommend it to everyone, but for a bad action movie, you could do worse. Expand
  16. Apr 26, 2012
    Likely to end up as a cult classic. The high point of the film is Guy Pearce's acting. The low point of the film is probably the CG, which looks too much like CG. Everything else is just about mediocre.
  17. Sep 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I saw the trailer for Lockout back in 2012, I thought, "oh, here we go again. Another CGI, messy, violent action movie with one liners and bad acting." Lockout proved a little bit of that to be true, but still exceeded my expectations.

Lockout is a fun movie for a party night or a couple of bros hanging out, but its not one to take your girlfriend to---- unless she can take that kind of stuff!--- and is not for your grandma either. It mixes a smart, but somewhat sluggish script, with a surprisingly well-thought out story line, and gets a solid B Actioner; but this movie thinks too highly of itself for what it is. Sometimes, it caves into itself, overstepping its boundaries, and the product is an adrenaline rush: the bad kind. More like a kid running around after having too much candy. Again, this is only at parts of it. Most of the movie is decent.

As awesome as ever, this movie has Guy Pierce, who has proved his talents as a character actor over and over again. From playing a geeky, by-the-books cop in L.A. Confidential, to an Irish evil-doer who wants to destroy the world in Iron Man 3. Now, he plays a bad-ass, flirty, lets-get-this-over-with man who was wrongfully convicted of Espionage against the U.S. He also needs a shave He's offered his freedom by rescuing the president's daughter from a prison she was visiting that got taken over by the prisoners. Trouble arises when he gets there, obviously, since this is a MOVIE, and nothing is simple and/or seems to go right.

I did, in fact, very much like one of the final scenes where they explained what happened to the whereabouts of the "package" that contained valuable information; the thing that got him arrested in the first place. I'm not gonna spoil it too much, but the way the writers played up the scene and its symbols was very creative. To find out what the hell I'm talking about, you'll have to see the movie (if you haven't already)! Overall, this movie is definitely worth a watch. Oh, and did I mention it takes place in 2079?

HandHStudios Rating: 6.3/10

Oblivion (2013/I)
    Visually Stunning,But With Some Flaws, 6 May 2013

*** This review may contain spoilers ***

I debated whether seeing oblivion or Iron Man 3 the weekend I saw it. I regret my decision.

Even though Oblivion isn't that bad with its beautiful cinematography and visually stunning images Iron Man would beat it any day, and it just seems kind of mainstream.

Story was decent enough I guess, but there were some flaws in it and logic had to be suspended. In fact, at some scenes, i thought i was sitting in Inception! So, some of the flaws include: Morgan Freeman's character. This is the first (and hopefully last) time i will say this... Morgan Freeman was not right for this role, even though he did a good job.

Plot holes.

Too many silence scenes; no enough action scenes.

and finally, illogical scenes and bad editing.

Overall, this was a slightly too long movie that tried to be more than it was, with a mainstream story line, but very visually stunning cinematography.
  18. Mar 29, 2013
    Whilst watching this I had a nagging feeling I had seen it all before… and I had! It’s ‘Escape From New York’ set is space! The trouble is, it’s not as good as ‘Escape From New York’ despite being set in space. It’s well put together with the exception of the CGI, which looked pretty ropy particularly at the beginning of the film. Performance-wise, well everyone was ok with nobodyWhilst watching this I had a nagging feeling I had seen it all before… and I had! It’s ‘Escape From New York’ set is space! The trouble is, it’s not as good as ‘Escape From New York’ despite being set in space. It’s well put together with the exception of the CGI, which looked pretty ropy particularly at the beginning of the film. Performance-wise, well everyone was ok with nobody particularly standing out. I did think Guy Pearce does need to have a word with his agent though, he’s much better than this. Sadly I found it all a little too predictable and although it did have some exciting moments, it didn’t really satisfy.

SteelMonster’s verdict: NOT RECOMMENDED

My score: 5.2/10
  19. Dec 11, 2012
    Entertaining but easily forgotten. If you are looking for a realistic Sci Fi, you are out of luck with this one. The movie expects you to believe that we have built a huge space prison hundreds of times bigger than the International space station using nothing but rocket technology and that orbital flights are commonplace using nothing but rockets. That being said, Guy Pierce does aEntertaining but easily forgotten. If you are looking for a realistic Sci Fi, you are out of luck with this one. The movie expects you to believe that we have built a huge space prison hundreds of times bigger than the International space station using nothing but rocket technology and that orbital flights are commonplace using nothing but rockets. That being said, Guy Pierce does a good job playing a like-ably unlikable character--- and the rest of the cast is pretty decent as well. This would have been a good movie in a different setting, but the story and premise had more holes than the prison did after Snow (Guy Pierce) was done with it. Still a good bet late night on Netflix. Expand
  20. May 2, 2012
    If you want a chilled out, easy to watch sci-fi action movie then I'd definitely recommend this. There're some pretty funny one liners delivered throughout the film, and the story isn't so bad.

More of a film to rent than buy.
  21. Nov 29, 2012
    This movie had potential to be a really good movie. The concept is great, the acting is solid, the characters aren't all so one-dimensional, and it's really entertaining. Guy Pearce did a great job. He kind of reminded me of a "poor man's" Mark Wahlberg. The problem came in with the lazy writing that created unbelievable plot development. Add to that the fact that the effects were terribleThis movie had potential to be a really good movie. The concept is great, the acting is solid, the characters aren't all so one-dimensional, and it's really entertaining. Guy Pearce did a great job. He kind of reminded me of a "poor man's" Mark Wahlberg. The problem came in with the lazy writing that created unbelievable plot development. Add to that the fact that the effects were terrible pretty much throughout the film and the movie goes from really good to just OK. So I guess if you want to see a halfway decent futuristic action movie, check it out. Expand
  22. Apr 27, 2014
    Luc Besson is the Writer/Director of The Fifth Element and Taken. Usually when you sit down to watch one of his films, you're in for a treat. When he said he was making a new film that combined elements of both popular movies, I was excited, and then sorely disappointed. Lockout introduces us to a new kind of a prison, one that is in outer space, and holds it's prisoners in cryogenicLuc Besson is the Writer/Director of The Fifth Element and Taken. Usually when you sit down to watch one of his films, you're in for a treat. When he said he was making a new film that combined elements of both popular movies, I was excited, and then sorely disappointed. Lockout introduces us to a new kind of a prison, one that is in outer space, and holds it's prisoners in cryogenic stasis. The daughter of the U.S. President (Maggie Grace) was set to tour the facility, to make sure the prisoners are being treated fairly, when all hell breaks loose. Wanting to restore order with a minimal amount of casualties, the President sends in one man, his best C.I.A. operative, Snow (Guy Pearce), whose job it is to save the hostages. For starters this film is so full of cliques and references to other things that it almost becomes a farce of itself. Guy Pearce is the star and he was very good, however his character plays like John McClain in Outer Space. Snow is full of jokes and is this huge tough guy, who was almost a mirror image of Bruce Willis in Die Hard. The only thing missing was a catch phrase and lets all be thankful for that. Pearce is paired with Maggie Grace, who as in Taken, finds herself as a hostage once again. To her credit, she was a lot less whiny than in Taken and even fights back a little bit, but she basically played the same character that she always does. I don't know about you, but I have a hard time feeling sorry for a beautiful spoiled blonde girl who gets into trouble because she traveled to Europe or had to take on the cause of prisoners rights. Overall, there was a lot of action, but not much of a story to play on. Guy Pearce does a pretty good job, but Lockout is honestly a predictable, paper thin story, with special effects that aren't anything to write home about. It's another big budget film that tries to wow audiences with a unique setting and lots of explosions in the previews, but the only surprise here is that the usually reliable Luc Besson fails to deliver a worthwhile film. Expand
  23. May 2, 2012
    The action sticks to the usual air ducts and fistfights.Nothing new.They have a whiff of sleaze that many films made domestically avoid. By the very nature of it being in space â
  24. May 31, 2014
    Not a terrible movie. It could have been better, but it is definitely worth your time. At least it is worth recording, mor renting. It has great action, and a really fast pace.
  25. Aug 18, 2012
    Made very economically for 20m$ by Europacorp but allas you can tell coz some VFX sequences are looking incredibly fake (bike chase & parachute drop). Pearce apparently choose this film for the story, but it's rather simple and not very original. It has to be said that the best thing about this movie is the somewhat Snake Plissken-like 'f*ck the world' attitude with which Pearce plays theMade very economically for 20m$ by Europacorp but allas you can tell coz some VFX sequences are looking incredibly fake (bike chase & parachute drop). Pearce apparently choose this film for the story, but it's rather simple and not very original. It has to be said that the best thing about this movie is the somewhat Snake Plissken-like 'f*ck the world' attitude with which Pearce plays the part. Grace isn't on the same level but does a nice enough job. A nice quicky for scifi fans I guess. Expand
  26. Nov 12, 2012
    Almost enjoyable in its absurdity. Almost.
  27. Jul 20, 2013
    Snort some drugs, and watch Lockout- and you will think its the best movie ever made.
    Guy Pearce does the best he can with what he's given, but Lockout is ultimately too derivative and shallow to build on the many sci-fi thrillers it borrows from.
  28. Apr 4, 2015
    "Lockout" is a movie by a studio that decided to make a script by throwing the scripts of past blockbusters into a barrel and grabbing chunks randomly until there was a unfinished script to film. At times the movie has a brush of the feeling of a good summer blockbuster movie but trades it for over the top action that seems cartoon like in a movie that demands realism. Guy Pierce is great"Lockout" is a movie by a studio that decided to make a script by throwing the scripts of past blockbusters into a barrel and grabbing chunks randomly until there was a unfinished script to film. At times the movie has a brush of the feeling of a good summer blockbuster movie but trades it for over the top action that seems cartoon like in a movie that demands realism. Guy Pierce is great as the hero but with dialog that goes on to long, the hero is a bit too dis- interested in the happenings around him. Mix that in with some quick editing, useless over the top violence, and yet another sci-fi movie race against the big bang at the end, and you have a missed opportunity. The idea of John McClane in space is great if only it was done a bit better. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Apr 23, 2012
    If you were to watch Lockout a few months from now, at home alone, it wouldn't produce more than a shrug. Movies this bad need to be revered in public places. Go see it in a mall, and try to sneak a beer or two in with you.
  2. Reviewed by: Helen O'Hara
    Apr 22, 2012
    It's just not quite as much fun as it should be, despite Pearce's best efforts and some good chemistry with Grace. Unusually for an action thriller, this could have benefited from being just a little longer.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Apr 19, 2012
    Luc Besson's clunky, space-bound actioner apes '80s B-flick excess but skimps on all the good parts. Fans of really bad science and pixelated CGI won't be disappointed, though.