6.5

1. Jul 7, 2013
    I have to laugh at all the "10" reviews by accounts with no other reviews ever. Shill marketing at its finest and a dead giveaway this is one to avoid.
  2. Jul 4, 2013
    I can't believe how insanity boring all these explosions and train-wrecks can be! This movie makes me feel nothing but disdain for Johnny Depp's portrayal of a Native American. How insensitive is this? What year is this that they can't find a proper actor to play this role? Are big Hollywood stars the only thing that people care about anymore? Depp was basically Capt. Jack in this silly soulless film that had no redeeming qualities (unless you are a fan of overdone CG). Expand
  3. Jul 3, 2013
    How anyone rated this anywhere positive is stunning. This is a huge piece of trash wrapped in a REALLY BIG BOW! Filled with explosions, CGI, special effects, and no content close to what the Lone Ranger is all about. Why they didnt title this "Over the Top Tonto and his shoot first sidekick" I'll never know. Worst movie fo the year so far and another big failure. First Pirates was good, second was average, third and fourth were terrible and now this. Jerry, Disney, and Depp need to Break up for good. Collapse
  4. Jul 3, 2013
    Disney’s The Lone Ranger follows the origins of the masked rider, John Reid (Armie Hammer), and the events that lead him to become a symbol of justice in the Old West. After completing a law degree, Reid returns to his hometown, Colby, Texas, to become the city’s government prosecutor and hold criminals accountable under United States law (along with a firm commitment to John Locke’s “Two Treatises of Government”). However, when his brother, Dan (James Badge Dale), is murdered in cold blood by ruthless outlaw Butch Cavendish (William Fichtner) Reid realizes that some criminals operate above of the law and he turns to a different form of justice as a masked vigilante. As a tenuous peace between the Native American tribes and white settlers is threatened, the Lone Ranger must join forces with a heroic, though slightly offbeat, Comanche warrior, Tonto (Johnny Depp), who has spent years hunting Cavendish. Together, Reid and Tonto set out on a mission to investigate the circumstances that led to Dan’s death before more blood is spilled. In an effort to re-imagine the Lone Ranger as a modern blockbuster franchise, Disney turned to the team behind their highly-successful Pirates of the Caribbean series, including producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Gore Verbinski, along with star Johnny Depp. Unfortunately, despite a number of strong individual components, the final Lone Ranger movie experience misses the bar (and longterm promise) established in the first Pirates of the Caribbean installment. For many audience members, Verbinski’s latest will likely succeed in delivering mindless summer entertainment with a number of humorous character moments, a quirky (albeit familiar) performance from Depp, and an elaborate third act set-piece. Yet, for all of the film’s successes, most of the core story arcs and action beats are either derivative or underwhelming misguided in attempts to piece together a blockbuster experience out of well-known parts. A flawed but often entertaining summer blockbuster experience, The Lone Ranger falls short as a sum of its promising individual parts. Unfortunately, the mixture of two likable leads and a cast of accomplished character actors, backed by highly-successful producers and a $200 million budget, based on a well-known pair of American heroes, doesn’t necessarily deliver a quality moviegoing experience. No doubt, certain audience members will thoroughly enjoy the bangs and gags in this Lone Ranger story but it’s still style over substance at nearly every turn, and fails to evolve or elevate the series canon in any meaningful (or particularly exciting) way. Expand
  5. Jul 18, 2013
    The tone veers from comedy to drama, with both genres badly written in another example of why Johnny Depp should work with directors than can say no. Depp's claims of presenting a positive representation of a Native American Indian character seem absurd on reflection, when he has delivered nothing more than a blackface performance that borders on racism. Verbinski's direction is straight out of parts two and three of the Pirates franchise and the assumption must be that Disney execs will soon lose their jobs with another bomb to follow John Carter. The only redeeming feature is Silver the horse, who deserves his own spin off series. The Lone Ranger himself is reduced to being a feeble joke figure with which the hapless Hammer can do nothing. The worst kind of Hollywood filmmaking. Expand
  6. Jul 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Its a slapstick comedy, a somber tale of discrimination and abuse, a tale of revenge, of forbidden love, of mystical creatures, of lost idealism, of greed......in short its a bit of a dizzying mess. Expand
  7. Aug 1, 2013
    Having seen the critics give it a good bashing, I figured "heck it couldn't be that bad", especially with Johnny Depp at the helm. Sadly, It was actually worst than what critics made it out to be. I couldn't even get past the first 20 minutes of it. The acting is simply laughable, Depp's role as Tonto was just god awful and easily the worst part of the film. And it doesn't really help that Depp/Tonto was pushed into the star role ahead of Hammer/Lone Ranger either.

Also, Wasn't this suppose to be a film aimed towards children? I mean it's by Disney and the people behind Pirates so you figured it'd be aimed to be more of a family film instead of a flat out action film filled with terrible jokes that were stale as hell! Instead we have the fun of witnessing 3 people brutally murdered in the beginning of the film. Not to mention people getting guns pushed into their face every 5 god damn seconds. This is NOT the kind of movie that you would take your young children to.

Overall, It was simply a joke of a film. I am so disappointed. I expected far better based off the trailers and this was simply garbage. I would be upset if I had actually wasted money to watch it.
  8. Jul 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Lone Ranger effectively made me felt something I have not felt for some time: that awful feeling of having sunk in money to buy tickets to an otherwise lackluster film.

Johnny Depp here was (supposedly) a secondary character to Hammer's protagonist role, but it seems that the director felt that the film should receive the Pirates charm, and asked him to bring Jack Sparrow front and center in his portrayal. As a result you get all the mannerisms of Sparrow sans the eloquence of the British pirate; the familiar behavior of doing random things as part of a larger plan afoot, the manipulation of people around him for his own goals, the oddities of being mad but secretly brilliant. It made audiences laugh, but this isn't Pirates. The comedy in both Pirates and here was supposed to be icing on the cake, but here the icing covered the cake and pretentiously tried to pass on as the cake itself. Depp was supposed to be background, complementing not overshadowing Hammer.

Hammer on the other hand, gave a decent portrayal, if somewhat limited by the screenwriter's need to put Depp front and center, and the movie's generally bumpy efforts in presenting a story. The movie could be summed up in two themes: Upholding justice by the book vs. vigilantism, and revenge or redemption for past sins. Straightforward themes that writers surprisingly took their time milking out to the detriment of pacing and boring audiences badly. When you do get to some of the fleshy part of the story, its actually quite shallow, piecemeal and sometimes outright nonsensical.

This poor pacing issue even infected the action scenes. Never have I seen action scenes so boring despite the amount of napalm being thrown around. And that's because before any scene begins. there isn't a lot of tension being twisted to set up for the scene. When it plays, there is no discernible story to be told, no underlying struggle or emotion that the director is trying to show here. All it serves is to show off Jack Sparrow in a Western setting, coupled with that freakish white horse, and John Reid's awkward efforts of delivering civilised justice, followed by improbable aiming skills with a single shot. In short, the scenes were alien, not even trying to be integral to the story.

One good thing that should be noted was the chemistry between the leading duo. You get the sense of both characters representing what the underlying themes are, and the struggles of being an effective duo here is played somewhat decently, if not sometimes mired by the and giggles that were sometimes too distracting.

The use of flashback and unreliable narrator tropes here actually serves no purpose in the movie at all. The point of using them here was to supposedly show off Tonto's supernatural abilities, that certain missing parts of the story were actually out of divine/supernatural origins. Quite distracting, and frankly a waste of time that could have been used to flesh out a bit more back story, like that of John Reid and that forgettable damsel-in-distress character, which was placed there as a stereotypical damsel-in-distress given how shallow her characterisation was.

In short, if you enjoy turning off your brain at the door of the theater walking in, or you like to see Depp as Jack Sparrow in a Western, or indulge in occasional nonsensical slapstick comedy mixed with average action scenes, go ahead and watch, Otherwise save up your money for more decent films, or at least rent this movie if you're so tempted to watch, coz really, I don't want to even recommend it as a matinee.
  9. Jul 5, 2013
    If not for the beautiful scenery and the familiar Lone Ranger theme song at the end I would give this film a zero. LONG action scenes and attempts to use every "trick" in the book, could not save this. the acting was horrendous and Johnny Depp is a mere stupid character of himself As one viewer said- "popcorn movie"- WELL it was too long and plodding even for that title. I kept wishing it would end and then voila- another shoot-out, another train crash..........Plainly irritating and definitely NOT suitable for young kids. if you want to see a great story about the railroads, old west and lawmen- check out the AMC show "Hell on Wheels"! Expand
  10. Jul 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How any one could give this movie positive reviews is beyond me, at least the box office receipts and word of mouth show the truth about this movie and not the opinion of people who are entertained by a man walking around with a dead bird on his head.

Well there was one silver bullet, and did I see him ride a horse on top of and through a moving train?
  11. Jul 4, 2013
    the movie is filled with a lot of great action sequences but not a lot of story. You never get to know or car about the lone ranger and Tonto. Jonny Depp and Armie Hammer a great and seem to be having fun in the movie, but all they di is jump around a lot of fights the don't do a lot of acting, and that do a great job of that. My advice to people would be, don't expect a lot for this movie just injoy the ride. This is mindless summer fun that's all. I have to confess I did enjoy the ride. Although the movie could have been 45 minutes shorter. Expand
  12. Jul 4, 2013
    "The Lone Ranger," cool right!? Not in this case no. To be honest, the movie's a mess. The script is not great, the execution is all over the place, and even the guy who plays "The Lone Ranger," Armie Hammer didn't act well. The movie is full of coincidences and plot holes. Skip this crap.
  13. Jul 9, 2013
    Terrible. Wow, I don't think I have ever been so disappointed in a movie that I did not have any previous connection too. Trailers looked good, looked fun and packed with historic relevance, no suck luck. Well, it was packed with hisorically relevance that was quickly turned into a joke. "Hey we just made an emotional impact about how the Native Americans were killed by the white man. Here is a horse in a hat, in a tree to lighten the mood two seconds later... oh and hey let's play the tacky but nostalgic theme music for twenty minutes straight in what could have been an awesome action scene if not for the music..." Tasteless and Soulless. Almost walked out. To quote Tonto, "Never Do that Again..." Expand
  14. Jul 9, 2013
    This movie was entertaining, but had a lot of problems with its characters, plot, and pacing. One of the most noticeable problems is that i doesn't really have an audience its aimed at. There are moments where poop and fart jokes are thrown at the audience and other moments where we witness SPOILER ALERT; a man eating another man's heart. Armie Hammer never became his role and at times was very awkward to watch, Jonny Depp acted well in his role of Jack Sparrow in a native american costume, but ultimately their chemistry fell face flat. The entire story is told to a little kid similarly to Princess Bride, but this format quickly becomes strange and feels very out-of-place. It had cool action scenes and a few comedic moments, but in between was just a very stretched-out boring plot that goes literally no where. Out of generosity towards the good moments in this film I will give it a 4 out of 10. Seriously that's being generous. Expand
  15. Jul 5, 2013
    Honestly, this movie would have been much better if it didn't drag on way too long. Unfortunately, it does and grows quite stale very quickly. True, it takes time to develop characters but when the movie is only 7 minutes shorter than The Shawshank Redemption, it better have some characters I am truly emotionally invested in. Unfortunately, it does not.
  16. Jul 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Johnny Depp did the best job possible given the circumstances. Armie Hammer? Who is he, anyway? He was by far the most bland, boring lead character I've ever witnessed in a movie. And he can't be killed? Bummer! This movie could have been so good. Instead Bruckheimer turned it into a witless, cookie-cutter, formulaic piece of typical Hollywood shlock. The plot was predictable from the get-go. The love interest barely more than a required female role so they could say they had a woman in the movie. At the end, the Lone Ranger tells Rebecca, "I can't stay." Guess what her reply is? "I know" Really? Can't she say, "What do you mean you're leaving me, a widow with a 9 year old kid alone here in the desert with all these disreputable men just waiting to find me alone?!!" One scene, Rebecca (Ruth Wilson) is working on a fence with a ranch hand; her son who is at least 9 years old, is playing in the river with the dog. In 1869, that kid would be fully employed working his butt off on the fence! The complete lack of any attention to details makes it clear this entire movie was just an afterthought and that the people making could care less what worthless cr---p they foist off on the movie going public. JB should be ashamed to have his name associated with this dog! Expand
  17. Jul 6, 2013
    no need to explain
    just suck
    i don't know what's wrong with Gore Verbinski ,
    he supposed to direct cool movies like he did before, not just this piece of !
    Also, even with those stars like Johnny Depp they still can't save the film
  18. Jul 7, 2013
    Pointless, dull, and repetitive. The acting was disappointing and the movie was the first in several years I walked out of after 50 minutes. I would add forgettable, but its one I will remember as a fail on the level of the Star Wars Holiday special...
  19. Jul 8, 2013
    Sleeping inducing stunts, CGI blurring the line between reality and caring about the story, muddied plot.

I am not sure if I was more offended by the racism of a white kid playing Tonto or the middle-school-play level of acting and dialog. It is really a tossup! Do yourself a favor and skip this tribute to ignorance from Hollywood.
  20. Jul 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Worst movie I have seen in the recent past. Johnny Depp brings us Captain Jack Sparrow from Pirates and basically trades the leather pirate hat for a crow hat. He plays the same character with just a different name...no originality.
    I was a Lone Ranger TV fan, and hate this movie. The Lone Ranger in this movie did not use a gun, but in the tv show he used guns with silver bullets. You can't think of the Lone Ranger without hearing that famous music...but in the movie it is not even played until the last 15 minutes of this 2hr and 15 mins movie (awful). At the end the Lone Ranger finally rears his horse and starts to say his famous line..."Hi-Ho Silver!! Away!" but Tonto cuts him off and says "never do that again". The Lone Ranger was not awkward on TV and was not the side kick of Tonto. They didn't use what made the Lone Ranger iconic and the movie falls flat for me because of it.
    This movie was so bad that the best part of the movie is when the Lone Ranger and Tonto are sitting around a camp fire roasting a rabbit. Other rabbits start to gather around at the smell, Tonto tosses a piece of rabbit and the 20 gathered rabbits show their fang teeth and fight each other for the cooked rabbit. That got the most laughs from the audience...and is the sad truth about this movie. People wanted to like it, wanted to laugh, and looked for anything to laugh at or enjoy but there was nothing. Don't even rent this at Red Box when it comes out. I wouldn't watch this movie again if you paid for my ticket and popcorn. It was that bad.
  21. Jul 13, 2013
    I would not recomend this movie to anyone, I found it to be redundent in it's continued attack on white people. I also think that there is nothing wrong with progress and it seemed to me that progress was attacked. There is something wrong with the Lone Ranger being portrayed as a bumbling boob that needs the guidance of Tonto to put on his gun belt. I bet the makers of this movie won't give any of the world wide profits to any of the Indian Nations tht they so happly exploited in this stinker. Don't let your children watch this POS. Expand
  22. Jul 25, 2013
    Johnny Depp has been all downhill since 21 Jump Street. He's not a good actor, he just plays the same quirky weirdo in every movie. I just don't think the Lone Ranger resonates with many people these days. Horses, trains, what? I did enjoy Armie Hammer though.
  23. Aug 28, 2013
    This would have been the worst movie Ive seen in years. Depp, you should be ashamed of yourself. No continuity, no real story line, and I left before the movie was even 3/4 through.
    Not anything could have saved it.
  24. Jul 11, 2013
    I know what the late Clayton Moore would have said about this travesty: "I served with Tonto. I knew Tonto. Tonto was a friend of mine. Whoever you think you are, you're no Tonto."

More campy revisionism. What a damn shame.
  25. Jul 16, 2013
    While I do not hate The Lone Ranger as much as the critics do I still did not love it. The movie had some good laughs, fun scenes, and a nice performance by Johnny Depp; but the interesting characters and story along with an unnecessary 2 hour running time prevent me from recommending this film to anyone. If you wind up seeing this movie though it is not terrible but at the same time there are more entertaining movies out right now that you could be seeing like Despicable Me 2 (which I have softened up a bit on), Monsters University (which made me smile a lot), and Pacific Rim & World War Z (which I have heard are really good). Or you could save up your money for the Wolverine. Again not a terrible movie I mean it is watchable but you can afford to skip this one. Expand
  26. Jul 22, 2013
    I'm sure there's a reason there hasn't been a Lone Ranger film for about thirty years. After seeing this, I know the reason why. Though Depp and Hammer are acceptable as leads and have some good chemistry between them and Tom Wilkinson is fitting as a villain, that isn't enough to save this film from bland and boring acting, a garbage script and storyline, numerous plot holes and CGI that's laughable at best. All we know is, due to the rather poor box office earnings of this film, we won't be seeing a Lone Ranger for another thirty years, and I'm quite happy for that. Expand
  27. Aug 10, 2013
    This one has some funny moments thanks to Johnny Depp but is too heavy-handed with the slapstick action escapes. I also detested the title character a bit more than perhaps the writers intended or would have wanted, since it kept me from engaging more with the film.
  28. Aug 4, 2013
    This is a horrendous movie and it's relatively poor box office return reflects that. The main problem is the poor storyline, which tries to cover so many bases, that it has no structure and is total nonsense. This film could have either been a comic buddy story, such as Starsky and Hutch, or a more profound story looking at the interaction between Native Americans and settlers through the relationship of the Lone Ranger and Tonto. The fact it tries to cover both and more leads to confusion. The lead performances are not great. Armie Hammer lacks presence and comic sensibility as the Lone Ranger, whereas Johnny Depp is unintelligible as a mumbling, halting version of Jack Sparrow. However, the support cast, in particular Tom Wilkinson and Helena Bonham-Carter, are good. I suspect, there will be no sequel, but I also think there will be no reboot, certainly not in the near future. Who thought that the world was waiting for $215mn Lone Ranger blockbuster? Expand
  29. Jul 16, 2013
    The thing that made this movie so bad for me was the depressing contstant stream of good people getting killed by the bad guys, before they finally get their comeuppance in the end, including a whole village of Indians. When they show the bad guy slapping a little kid, that was the end for me. Meanwhile Tonto is some deranged mental case with a crow on his head, and the Lone Ranger is played stupidly like the main character in Green Hornet, which toatlly ruined that movie. Thumbs down! Expand
  30. Oct 5, 2013
    The movie showed good potential at the beginning, and I was somewhat enjoying myself.
    However, this soon changed, and it turned into quite the mess. The ending was so fantastical and unbelievable, that I completely lost interest, and subsequently stopped caring about it. The scene where silver (the horse) jumps off a building and onto the train, was so stupid that I completely dropped my
    jaw onto the dirty cinema floor. I am wondering if I can sue Disney for ruining one of my childhood heroes, as well as the germs that infected me from the whole jaw dropping on the floor thing... Expand
  31. Jul 9, 2013
    The Lone Ranger is a film that had much potential to be solid summer fun that unforgettably transformed into a lengthy, drooling two and a half hour explosion-fest gut bus.
  32. Jul 8, 2013
    Saw this movie on a whim and have regretted spending money of this train wreck ever since. People who are giving this movie 10s are either Depp fans where he can do no wrong or Disney fans thinking the same. This movie suffers from a far to long running time this movie would probably be a good popcorn flick if they cut it down, but with the length it is at it just becomes a slog of the same ole same ole. I like Depp as an actor but again in this movie he plays what he has been playing since POTC he plays jack sparrow, but now more native American. This movie just became confused for what it wanted to be after a while did it want to be a comedy but its throwing a ton of "deep" thoughts in there but instead of meshing perfectly this movie just comes off a confused and mixed up movie who has no idea whats going on. Expand
  33. Jul 12, 2013
    The movie was very boring, it has no story, what is the massage of it, too long and on the top of all that it looks like it is a big mess. i really think that people give this movie a good rating because they feel sorry for it.
  34. Jul 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You can say what you want about critics and I say plenty, but the got it right this time.

Spoiler alert: If you haven't seen it, I get into plot below.. so read at your own risk.

Overall, the movie had some redeeming qualities, but generally it was just pretentious and overdone.

I thought the villains were not atypical of a greedy corporate wonk and the dirty lowdown scoundrel you find in these kinds of pictures. Relatively predictable, but much more extreme than it needed to be (a bad dude that eats body parts.... really...kind of sickening). The actual premise of the movie and how it unfolded was pretty good from the Tonto perspective but completely lacking from the Lone Ranger perspective. James Badge Dale as the Lone Ranger's brother was credible as was his wife, actress Ruth Wilson. Even the notion of a long past "triangle" between the 3 of them had the makings of a good twist even though it pretty much was meaningless beyond the reason the sheriff had him go with him to what would be the ambush.

But the notion of a "come back to Texas" lawyer who shuns guns being the lone ranger is pretty stupid, frankly. A "justice seeking local prosecutor turned vigilante because his sheriff brother got killed in an ambush that was part of a bigger conspiracy" would have been plenty of back story. Sheesh.. it didn't have to get stupid with the dude shunning guns and generally being an idiotic coward. Remember, this is supposed to be about the "larger than life" Lone Ranger.

Then there was the whole railroad invading Indian lands with the bad gang pretending the Comanches were invading local settlements thing. That was ok... in fact, it's a well heeled but twistable plot that did get some twists. Not too bad. But, then there's the savage Indians getting cut down by the cavalry that was so prosaic it made you wonder if you were all of a sudden in a Michael Moore documentary. Completely unnecessary and unjustifiable violence with no point and with no real additional value to the story. Better would have been the Lone Ranger and Tonto actually saving that... as the character and the show was built in that vane rather than slaughter em all social commentary.

Armie Hammer who played the Lone Ranger was lacking, although I think it was more about the script and some guy confusing the Lone Ranger with "Dudley Do-Right" of the Canadian Mounties. Entirely too "clean and wholesome" to have grown up in Texas and entirely too naive to have been the Lone Ranger. The character did not develop at all and then when the Lone Ranger went into action at the end paying homage to the comic book and TV series heroics (which I thought was cute as heck) it left you wondering what had happened. A better actor was needed to play the give and take with Johnny Depp. Not to the level of the "Sheriff" brother who was hardened and wise etc, but something better than some silly city flatfoot; it's an insult to the name of the Lone Ranger. Somebody like Chris Evans (who played Captain America in the Avengers and "The Flame" in the Fantastic 4), or Jeremy Renner who has played in everything from the Avengers and GI Joe and who has the capacity to play a good guy gone back who goes good again. Somebody who had a little dirt under his fingernails. The scene where Depp is trying to draw the "spirit horse" who would be Silver, to the Sheriff was a perfect setup for the transformation that would be the Lone Ranger through the collaboration of the due. But, alas, it never came to be.

Not without merit, I really do think that Johnny Depp played a very good Tonto and some of his stunts were great. I also thought the compliment of actors who played the Comanche were fantastic, albeit, in a limited role. Likewise, the premise of the story, an ancient Tonto found in a circus sideshow in the 1930's by a Lone Ranger worshiping boy (who would have been listening to the radio program back then, was brilliant. It was completely reminiscent of the "Buffalo Bill Wild West Show" idea that was very much alive and well in the 1930's and was a great add. Similarly, the horse, the silver bullet etc that were brought up in the story (the silver bullet coming from the silver in the ranger stars of his brother and the other rangers that were murdered) and the Horse being named Silver because of the silver mines the bad guys were trying to exploit from the Indians... perfection. As was the horse, which I know some will think stupid, but Silver was as much of a star in the Lone Ranger saga as was Tonto and the man himself. The fact that Silver keeps showing up to help the other two "save the day" was a fantastic way to add some humorous twists and it worked well (must have been Tim Burton and Depp on those). Similarly "Red" played by Helena Bohnam Carter was a great side character that played a key role.

The ingredients were all there. Some of it even came through, but sadly, the movie as a whole flopped
  35. Aug 1, 2013
    The Lone Ranger has good moments, but overall it is a film chalk full of pacing problems, blatant racism, and confusing flashbacks. The film starts off hot with an unbelievably cool train action scene. I found myself wondering why the critics had been so harsh on the pacing of the film, and then the next hour and twenty minutes occurred. In blatant terms, it was slow. The movie ends with another amazing action scene, but the middle drags on for an overwhelming length. Johnny Depp does not produce his best work here. Instead of portraying Tonto correctly, intelligent with a hint of crazy, he played him at times idiotic and down right stupid. Depp made the entirety of the Native American people look dumb, and because of it came across racist. Lastly, what were the flashbacks about? Why did we need to see Tonto as an old man, and what was the symbolism at the end? I missed it completely... The Lone Ranger will go down as one of the biggest box office flops of the summer, and after viewing it is understandable. Expand
  36. Jul 29, 2013
    All the character are competent and capable when they need to be but then there drooling idiots later Story is bad the Lone Ranger is a sad disappointment
  37. Jul 31, 2013
    Another disney film with a star studded cast. It tries to bring back some of the companies glory days but fails miserably. But has some good humor in it.
  38. Sep 18, 2013
    At some point there was this one scene where Armie Hammer's persona was being dragged through horse fecal matter. That's exactly how it felt watching this putrid excuse of entertainment.
  39. Oct 31, 2013
    The Lone Ranger is flawed in many ways. It seems that a wrong strategy has been applied from the beginning of the production. Combining the elements of comedy and fantasy with a very bitter and realistic story has chocked the movie. Unless the first and last sequences, the film's dramatic background doesn’t allow the inclusion of elements of parody, and the Mr. Verbinsky's efforts, who has already succeeded to make a perfect parody of western movies (Rango), fails. At the center (in the core) of The Lone Ranger lies a western in classical form, devoid of fantasy or Humorous arrays, that in current shape is buried beneath a mass of unfunny jokes, inappropriate special effects, undeveloped relationships between characters and numerous and futile Occurrences. Expand
  40. Dec 20, 2013
    Born in 1966 I was privileged to grow up watching the Lone Ranger on TV, I was unable to catch the movie in the theaters and was anxious to see it on DVD, I can honestly say the critics got this one correct. This movie was awful and I am offended that they made the Lone Ranger character out to be this buffoon and the Tonto character a bumbling idiot. I figured the whole story out 30 minutes into it and was exhausted and stun afterwards I only sat through it because of my kids and I explained to them that this movie was a farce, it should have never been made. I am normally not hard on movies but considering myself a serious movie buff, I am completely appalled. Disney was wondering why the critics dogged it because like me they remember the Lone Ranger as a smart, charismatic man of truth and justice with a keen mind and sense of valor with his trusty sidekick ready to assist and keen as well. I think I am done now, this movie was simply bad. Expand
  41. Sep 3, 2014
    Bar none, the second worst movie I have ever seen. Like "The Amazing Spiderman 2", it tries to be funny and serious at the same time and fails miserably at both. I forced myself to watch it to the end just to make sure the awefulness would continue up to the last scene. It did.
  42. Mar 8, 2014
    It isn't very good. But that does not mean that it doesn't have some cool entertaining scenes. It does not, however, live up to the "Pirates of the Caribbean" series. The script is pretty bland and its runtime is too long.
  43. Dec 16, 2013
    Disney goes all in with "The Lone Ranger" in the hopes of creating another successful franchise similar to that of "Pirates of the Caribbean," by reuniting director Gore Verbinski, producer Jerry Bruckheimer, and Johnny Depp. However, it becomes readily apparent Bruckheimer is attempting to launch a new Western fantasy franchise (with a price tag hovering around a quarter of a billion dollars), by simply cloning his previous lucrative endeavor. "The Lone Ranger” suffers from an overly elaborate plot that contains a muddled sense of humor peppered with moments of out-of-place violence. The movie has an encouraging start, but slips into a lethargic second act, and ultimately ends as an overblown mess that goes on far too long.

The year is 1869 and the first transcontinental railroad is nearing completion. As Texas-born attorney John Reid (Armie Hammer) is traveling home from college, when the train he is on is hijacked by a band of outlaws who have come to free their cannibalistic leader Butch Cavendish (William Fichtner) from custody. John joins his brother Dan (James Badge Dale) and the rest of the Texas Rangers to track him down, but Butch Cavendish ambushes the group of men en route, and leaves them to perish in the desert.

Left for dead, John receives aid from a Comanche Indian named Tonto (Johnny Depp), whose life John saved in an earlier encounter at the behest of a white spirit horse. Both men want to bring Cavendish to justice for their own reasons, so they decide to team up, with John donning a mask to hide his identity. But on their quest to take down Cavendish and his men, the pair uncovers a larger plot involving railroad tycoon Latham Cole (Tom Wilkinson) that could spell trouble for the native tribes.

The erratic nature of the storytelling really hurts the overall result, especially when the film already feels cluttered and completely overblown. While the movie has some enjoyable, entertaining moments, the second act of the film loses steam feeling lifeless and dull when it takes itself far too seriously. Additionally confusing is the handful of dark and violent moments that are present in a summer blockbuster family friendly movie. Another significant issue is the excruciatingly long runtime, which clocks in at tiresome 150 minutes.

A mixed bag of conflicting films all in one, "The Lone Ranger" is occasionally entertaining, yet ultimately disappointing. Deviating between violence, gruesome villains, and silly humor, the film never quite figures out what it wants to be and when to call it quits.
  44. Jan 30, 2014
    The DVD came out and I thought, "Well, maybe this movie has been over-reviewed and it simply cannot be as bad as it has been reviewed." It is! Throughout the entire forty minutes I could stand watching this thing I could just here the writers and actors and crew laughing together and saying, "This is really funny." It isn't!
  45. Dec 20, 2013
    Two and a half hours of nothing. There is very little character development and by the end you care about no one. It's not one of the worst movies of 2013 only because it's fairly well made but the length makes it unwatchable. D+
  46. Jun 7, 2014
    This is another of those films that seem to only feed the ego of it's director...

The action scenes are well shoot and it's a good re-telling of the lone ranger story; however, there is zero subtlety... many times the movie forcefully tries to make you laugh with bad pun after bad pun it become old really quick especially when you see the actors are doing their best to bring a good
    performance but with the script being the way it is, it's almost impossible.

The movie is not all bad though, I like the soundtrack and the acting from the majority of the actors is good... but I wouldn't recommend it
  47. Oct 30, 2013
    pelicula ser tonta y predecible. the lone ranger es algo desaprovechado, pues se torna aburrida es algo ridiculo Jhonny depp y las cosas no salen bien despues de un impactante trailer, la descepcion quedo clara con 2:30 horas de intentar hacer valer un muy mediocre trabajo
  48. Oct 19, 2013
    Instead of making it a comedy they should of made it an action/western that would of been better than this thing. The main actor has no personality what so ever and other characters aren't much different. I don't know didn't like it at all.
  49. Oct 14, 2013
    I'm a little late with 'The Lone Ranger', but better never than late! Not only did the movie fail to examine themes of greed and racism (issues that were tailored for this kind of material), it failed at telling a good story, period. I thought the story was poorly framed. The constant back and forth between Tonto’s (Johnny Depp's character) retelling of the tale of the Lone Ranger to a precocious boy, always drew us out of the main story line. Johnny Depp's heavy makeup and oddball shtick is getting tired now; and the chemistry with Army Hammer’s Lone Ranger fell flat. As we've seen with the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, Gore Verbinski is no stranger to staging elaborate action sequences; but here, the action feels even more implausible and spans for way too long. This brings to the length of this movie, which has no business being 150 minutes! A leaner runtime and tighter narrative would have definitely lightened my eyelids. The only thing I truly admired about 'The Lone Ranger' was the quality of the production value. The character-centric costumes, production designs and sound designs gave it a top-notch quality that you've come to expect from big budget studio films such as this. Too bad the brain doesn't match the muscles. This dud will only be remembered for being one of 2013's biggest flops. Expand
  50. Nov 22, 2013
    Dramatic scenes mixed with poor humour (e.g. brave Indian warriors are decimated by the army machine guns and then we see Tonto wondering how his horse climbed on a tree), Depp playing like a wooden totem, fights which look more like a circus show, needless scenes (such as the search in the brothel) and a ridiculous hero (he acts like an idiot or follows lunatic Tonto) ‘Lone Ranger’ was almost painful. Besides, it’s idiotic that the protagonist claims to be an atheist and at the same time he is a fan of John Locke’s work: doesn’t he know that Locke’s philosophy is based on the idea that the human being is created by God? That’s why it has an immense value, objectively, and to protect and honour that value the human rights exist. It’s no coincidence that only Christian societies invented constitutions that treated people with dignity (and then other societies followed their example).
    The only good things of this movie are its presentation and some concepts borrowed from ‘Once upon a time in the west’, like the wait in the train station, the ambitious railway tycoon or the watch which reminds Tonto of his painful past.
    argonautis.eu
  51. Dec 29, 2013
    I must take exception to some of the reviews posted by my fellow cinema goers. As someone who has enjoyed Johnny Depp in everything I had seen previously, love westerns, and grew up watching The Lone Ranger, I was eager to love this film. However, its just a mess. Worse western Ive seen since the remake of 3:10 to Yuma and thats saying a lot.....
  52. Jan 31, 2014
    Lead actor was by far the worst lead actor I've ever watched. Johnny Depp was in his usual quirky self. Which is becoming a bore to me. The only thing that fit in this movie, is the villain. Everything else is just forgettable.
  53. May 16, 2014
    must say i didn't like it at all!!!! so boring it was and Johnny Depp's performance was so disappointing!!!!
    (he still is one of my favourite actors ever!!!)

1. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Aug 8, 2013
    The Lone Ranger is content to simply pull another western trope out of the bag – the honky-tonk whorehouse, the ranch raid, the cavalry charge – give it a CGI spit-and-polish, and chuck it in the general direction of the audience. The result is frustrating, lazy and lifeless.
  2. Reviewed by: Angie Errigo
    Aug 5, 2013
    Talk about a pleasant surprise! Real storytelling, well thought-out and beautifully, at times insanely, executed, with excitement, laughs and fun to make you feel seven years old again.
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Mueller
    Jul 29, 2013
    Ultimately, it’s not as awful as "Wild Wild West." But we’ll hazard a guess that Pirates 5 can’t come quick enough for Bruckheimer or Depp.