6.5

1. Dec 13, 2014
    Another unique character portrayed brilliantly by Johnny Depp. In this case though the character is placed inside a world and story that lacks any real impact. All the characters around him are scapegoats who are just there for presence. It's a film that is easily forgettable despite fresh innovations. Don't watch this one in a hurry.
  2. Nov 13, 2014
    "The Lone Ranger" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

The Good: While it was a bad film, it was not as bad as I was expecting it to be. In fact, it had some decent moments and Armie Hammer as the Lone Ranger was not the problem at all. The Bad: Depp was awful. I'm not sure what he was going for here, but it misses the mark. The humor also misses and was a distraction from an already weak
    "The Lone Ranger" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

The Bad: Depp was awful. I'm not sure what he was going for here, but it misses the mark. The humor also misses and was a distraction from an already weak plot. The film's 2:29 run time was way too long ... and felt even longer than it was.
  3. Sep 3, 2014
    Bar none, the second worst movie I have ever seen. Like "The Amazing Spiderman 2", it tries to be funny and serious at the same time and fails miserably at both. I forced myself to watch it to the end just to make sure the awefulness would continue up to the last scene. It did.
  4. Jun 7, 2014
    This is another of those films that seem to only feed the ego of it's director...

The action scenes are well shoot and it's a good re-telling of the lone ranger story; however, there is zero subtlety... many times the movie forcefully tries to make you laugh with bad pun after bad pun it become old really quick especially when you see the actors are doing their best to bring a good performance but with the script being the way it is, it's almost impossible.

The movie is not all bad though, I like the soundtrack and the acting from the majority of the actors is good... but I wouldn't recommend it
  5. May 16, 2014
    must say i didn't like it at all!!!! so boring it was and Johnny Depp's performance was so disappointing!!!!
    (he still is one of my favourite actors ever!!!)
  6. Mar 8, 2014
    It isn't very good. But that does not mean that it doesn't have some cool entertaining scenes. It does not, however, live up to the "Pirates of the Caribbean" series. The script is pretty bland and its runtime is too long.
  7. Jan 31, 2014
    Lead actor was by far the worst lead actor I've ever watched. Johnny Depp was in his usual quirky self. Which is becoming a bore to me. The only thing that fit in this movie, is the villain. Everything else is just forgettable.
  8. Jan 30, 2014
    The DVD came out and I thought, "Well, maybe this movie has been over-reviewed and it simply cannot be as bad as it has been reviewed." It is! Throughout the entire forty minutes I could stand watching this thing I could just here the writers and actors and crew laughing together and saying, "This is really funny." It isn't!
  9. Dec 29, 2013
    I must take exception to some of the reviews posted by my fellow cinema goers. As someone who has enjoyed Johnny Depp in everything I had seen previously, love westerns, and grew up watching The Lone Ranger, I was eager to love this film. However, its just a mess. Worse western Ive seen since the remake of 3:10 to Yuma and thats saying a lot.....
  10. Dec 20, 2013
    Born in 1966 I was privileged to grow up watching the Lone Ranger on TV, I was unable to catch the movie in the theaters and was anxious to see it on DVD, I can honestly say the critics got this one correct. This movie was awful and I am offended that they made the Lone Ranger character out to be this buffoon and the Tonto character a bumbling idiot. I figured the whole story out 30Born in 1966 I was privileged to grow up watching the Lone Ranger on TV, I was unable to catch the movie in the theaters and was anxious to see it on DVD, I can honestly say the critics got this one correct. This movie was awful and I am offended that they made the Lone Ranger character out to be this buffoon and the Tonto character a bumbling idiot. I figured the whole story out 30 minutes into it and was exhausted and stun afterwards I only sat through it because of my kids and I explained to them that this movie was a farce, it should have never been made. I am normally not hard on movies but considering myself a serious movie buff, I am completely appalled. Disney was wondering why the critics dogged it because like me they remember the Lone Ranger as a smart, charismatic man of truth and justice with a keen mind and sense of valor with his trusty sidekick ready to assist and keen as well. I think I am done now, this movie was simply bad. Expand
  11. Dec 20, 2013
    Two and a half hours of nothing. There is very little character development and by the end you care about no one. It's not one of the worst movies of 2013 only because it's fairly well made but the length makes it unwatchable. D+
  12. Dec 16, 2013
    Disney goes all in with "The Lone Ranger" in the hopes of creating another successful franchise similar to that of "Pirates of the Caribbean," by reuniting director Gore Verbinski, producer Jerry Bruckheimer, and Johnny Depp. However, it becomes readily apparent Bruckheimer is attempting to launch a new Western fantasy franchise (with a price tag hovering around a quarter of a billionDisney goes all in with "The Lone Ranger" in the hopes of creating another successful franchise similar to that of "Pirates of the Caribbean," by reuniting director Gore Verbinski, producer Jerry Bruckheimer, and Johnny Depp. However, it becomes readily apparent Bruckheimer is attempting to launch a new Western fantasy franchise (with a price tag hovering around a quarter of a billion dollars), by simply cloning his previous lucrative endeavor. "The Lone Ranger” suffers from an overly elaborate plot that contains a muddled sense of humor peppered with moments of out-of-place violence. The movie has an encouraging start, but slips into a lethargic second act, and ultimately ends as an overblown mess that goes on far too long.

The year is 1869 and the first transcontinental railroad is nearing completion. As Texas-born attorney John Reid (Armie Hammer) is traveling home from college, when the train he is on is hijacked by a band of outlaws who have come to free their cannibalistic leader Butch Cavendish (William Fichtner) from custody. John joins his brother Dan (James Badge Dale) and the rest of the Texas Rangers to track him down, but Butch Cavendish ambushes the group of men en route, and leaves them to perish in the desert.

Left for dead, John receives aid from a Comanche Indian named Tonto (Johnny Depp), whose life John saved in an earlier encounter at the behest of a white spirit horse. Both men want to bring Cavendish to justice for their own reasons, so they decide to team up, with John donning a mask to hide his identity. But on their quest to take down Cavendish and his men, the pair uncovers a larger plot involving railroad tycoon Latham Cole (Tom Wilkinson) that could spell trouble for the native tribes.

The erratic nature of the storytelling really hurts the overall result, especially when the film already feels cluttered and completely overblown. While the movie has some enjoyable, entertaining moments, the second act of the film loses steam feeling lifeless and dull when it takes itself far too seriously. Additionally confusing is the handful of dark and violent moments that are present in a summer blockbuster family friendly movie. Another significant issue is the excruciatingly long runtime, which clocks in at tiresome 150 minutes.

A mixed bag of conflicting films all in one, "The Lone Ranger" is occasionally entertaining, yet ultimately disappointing. Deviating between violence, gruesome villains, and silly humor, the film never quite figures out what it wants to be and when to call it quits.
  13. Nov 22, 2013
    Dramatic scenes mixed with poor humour (e.g. brave Indian warriors are decimated by the army machine guns and then we see Tonto wondering how his horse climbed on a tree), Depp playing like a wooden totem, fights which look more like a circus show, needless scenes (such as the search in the brothel) and a ridiculous hero (he acts like an idiot or follows lunatic Tonto) ‘Lone Ranger’ wasDramatic scenes mixed with poor humour (e.g. brave Indian warriors are decimated by the army machine guns and then we see Tonto wondering how his horse climbed on a tree), Depp playing like a wooden totem, fights which look more like a circus show, needless scenes (such as the search in the brothel) and a ridiculous hero (he acts like an idiot or follows lunatic Tonto) ‘Lone Ranger’ was almost painful. Besides, it’s idiotic that the protagonist claims to be an atheist and at the same time he is a fan of John Locke’s work: doesn’t he know that Locke’s philosophy is based on the idea that the human being is created by God? That’s why it has an immense value, objectively, and to protect and honour that value the human rights exist. It’s no coincidence that only Christian societies invented constitutions that treated people with dignity (and then other societies followed their example).
    The only good things of this movie are its presentation and some concepts borrowed from ‘Once upon a time in the west’, like the wait in the train station, the ambitious railway tycoon or the watch which reminds Tonto of his painful past.
    argonautis.eu
  14. Oct 31, 2013
    The Lone Ranger is flawed in many ways. It seems that a wrong strategy has been applied from the beginning of the production. Combining the elements of comedy and fantasy with a very bitter and realistic story has chocked the movie. Unless the first and last sequences, the film's dramatic background doesn’t allow the inclusion of elements of parody, and the Mr. Verbinsky's efforts, who hasThe Lone Ranger is flawed in many ways. It seems that a wrong strategy has been applied from the beginning of the production. Combining the elements of comedy and fantasy with a very bitter and realistic story has chocked the movie. Unless the first and last sequences, the film's dramatic background doesn’t allow the inclusion of elements of parody, and the Mr. Verbinsky's efforts, who has already succeeded to make a perfect parody of western movies (Rango), fails. At the center (in the core) of The Lone Ranger lies a western in classical form, devoid of fantasy or Humorous arrays, that in current shape is buried beneath a mass of unfunny jokes, inappropriate special effects, undeveloped relationships between characters and numerous and futile Occurrences. Expand
  15. Oct 30, 2013
    pelicula ser tonta y predecible. the lone ranger es algo desaprovechado, pues se torna aburrida es algo ridiculo Jhonny depp y las cosas no salen bien despues de un impactante trailer, la descepcion quedo clara con 2:30 horas de intentar hacer valer un muy mediocre trabajo
  16. Oct 19, 2013
    Instead of making it a comedy they should of made it an action/western that would of been better than this thing. The main actor has no personality what so ever and other characters aren't much different. I don't know didn't like it at all.
  17. Oct 14, 2013
    I'm a little late with 'The Lone Ranger', but better never than late! Not only did the movie fail to examine themes of greed and racism (issues that were tailored for this kind of material), it failed at telling a good story, period. I thought the story was poorly framed. The constant back and forth between Tonto’s (Johnny Depp's character) retelling of the tale of the Lone Ranger to aI'm a little late with 'The Lone Ranger', but better never than late! Not only did the movie fail to examine themes of greed and racism (issues that were tailored for this kind of material), it failed at telling a good story, period. I thought the story was poorly framed. The constant back and forth between Tonto’s (Johnny Depp's character) retelling of the tale of the Lone Ranger to a precocious boy, always drew us out of the main story line. Johnny Depp's heavy makeup and oddball shtick is getting tired now; and the chemistry with Army Hammer’s Lone Ranger fell flat. As we've seen with the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, Gore Verbinski is no stranger to staging elaborate action sequences; but here, the action feels even more implausible and spans for way too long. This brings to the length of this movie, which has no business being 150 minutes! A leaner runtime and tighter narrative would have definitely lightened my eyelids. The only thing I truly admired about 'The Lone Ranger' was the quality of the production value. The character-centric costumes, production designs and sound designs gave it a top-notch quality that you've come to expect from big budget studio films such as this. Too bad the brain doesn't match the muscles. This dud will only be remembered for being one of 2013's biggest flops. Expand
  18. Oct 5, 2013
    The movie showed good potential at the beginning, and I was somewhat enjoying myself.
    However, this soon changed, and it turned into quite the mess. The ending was so fantastical and unbelievable, that I completely lost interest, and subsequently stopped caring about it. The scene where silver (the horse) jumps off a building and onto the train, was so stupid that I completely dropped my jaw onto the dirty cinema floor. I am wondering if I can sue Disney for ruining one of my childhood heroes, as well as the germs that infected me from the whole jaw dropping on the floor thing...
  19. Sep 18, 2013
    At some point there was this one scene where Armie Hammer's persona was being dragged through horse fecal matter. That's exactly how it felt watching this putrid excuse of entertainment.
  20. Aug 28, 2013
    This would have been the worst movie Ive seen in years. Depp, you should be ashamed of yourself. No continuity, no real story line, and I left before the movie was even 3/4 through.
    Not anything could have saved it.
  21. Aug 10, 2013
    This one has some funny moments thanks to Johnny Depp but is too heavy-handed with the slapstick action escapes. I also detested the title character a bit more than perhaps the writers intended or would have wanted, since it kept me from engaging more with the film.
  22. Aug 4, 2013
    This is a horrendous movie and it's relatively poor box office return reflects that. The main problem is the poor storyline, which tries to cover so many bases, that it has no structure and is total nonsense. This film could have either been a comic buddy story, such as Starsky and Hutch, or a more profound story looking at the interaction between Native Americans and settlers through theThis is a horrendous movie and it's relatively poor box office return reflects that. The main problem is the poor storyline, which tries to cover so many bases, that it has no structure and is total nonsense. This film could have either been a comic buddy story, such as Starsky and Hutch, or a more profound story looking at the interaction between Native Americans and settlers through the relationship of the Lone Ranger and Tonto. The fact it tries to cover both and more leads to confusion. The lead performances are not great. Armie Hammer lacks presence and comic sensibility as the Lone Ranger, whereas Johnny Depp is unintelligible as a mumbling, halting version of Jack Sparrow. However, the support cast, in particular Tom Wilkinson and Helena Bonham-Carter, are good. I suspect, there will be no sequel, but I also think there will be no reboot, certainly not in the near future. Who thought that the world was waiting for $215mn Lone Ranger blockbuster? Expand
  23. Aug 1, 2013
    Having seen the critics give it a good bashing, I figured "heck it couldn't be that bad", especially with Johnny Depp at the helm. Sadly, It was actually worst than what critics made it out to be. I couldn't even get past the first 20 minutes of it. The acting is simply laughable, Depp's role as Tonto was just god awful and easily the worst part of the film. And it doesn't really help thatHaving seen the critics give it a good bashing, I figured "heck it couldn't be that bad", especially with Johnny Depp at the helm. Sadly, It was actually worst than what critics made it out to be. I couldn't even get past the first 20 minutes of it. The acting is simply laughable, Depp's role as Tonto was just god awful and easily the worst part of the film. And it doesn't really help that Depp/Tonto was pushed into the star role ahead of Hammer/Lone Ranger either.

Also, Wasn't this suppose to be a film aimed towards children? I mean it's by Disney and the people behind Pirates so you figured it'd be aimed to be more of a family film instead of a flat out action film filled with terrible jokes that were stale as hell! Instead we have the fun of witnessing 3 people brutally murdered in the beginning of the film. Not to mention people getting guns pushed into their face every 5 god damn seconds. This is NOT the kind of movie that you would take your young children to.

Overall, It was simply a joke of a film. I am so disappointed. I expected far better based off the trailers and this was simply garbage. I would be upset if I had actually wasted money to watch it.
  24. Aug 1, 2013
    The Lone Ranger has good moments, but overall it is a film chalk full of pacing problems, blatant racism, and confusing flashbacks. The film starts off hot with an unbelievably cool train action scene. I found myself wondering why the critics had been so harsh on the pacing of the film, and then the next hour and twenty minutes occurred. In blatant terms, it was slow. The movie ends withThe Lone Ranger has good moments, but overall it is a film chalk full of pacing problems, blatant racism, and confusing flashbacks. The film starts off hot with an unbelievably cool train action scene. I found myself wondering why the critics had been so harsh on the pacing of the film, and then the next hour and twenty minutes occurred. In blatant terms, it was slow. The movie ends with another amazing action scene, but the middle drags on for an overwhelming length. Johnny Depp does not produce his best work here. Instead of portraying Tonto correctly, intelligent with a hint of crazy, he played him at times idiotic and down right stupid. Depp made the entirety of the Native American people look dumb, and because of it came across racist. Lastly, what were the flashbacks about? Why did we need to see Tonto as an old man, and what was the symbolism at the end? I missed it completely... The Lone Ranger will go down as one of the biggest box office flops of the summer, and after viewing it is understandable. Expand
  25. Jul 31, 2013
    Another disney film with a star studded cast. It tries to bring back some of the companies glory days but fails miserably. But has some good humor in it.
  26. Jul 29, 2013
    All the character are competent and capable when they need to be but then there drooling idiots later Story is bad the Lone Ranger is a sad disappointment
  27. Jul 25, 2013
    Johnny Depp has been all downhill since 21 Jump Street. He's not a good actor, he just plays the same quirky weirdo in every movie. I just don't think the Lone Ranger resonates with many people these days. Horses, trains, what? I did enjoy Armie Hammer though.
  28. Jul 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How any one could give this movie positive reviews is beyond me, at least the box office receipts and word of mouth show the truth about this movie and not the opinion of people who are entertained by a man walking around with a dead bird on his head.

Well there was one silver bullet, and did I see him ride a horse on top of and through a moving train?
  29. Jul 22, 2013
    I'm sure there's a reason there hasn't been a Lone Ranger film for about thirty years. After seeing this, I know the reason why. Though Depp and Hammer are acceptable as leads and have some good chemistry between them and Tom Wilkinson is fitting as a villain, that isn't enough to save this film from bland and boring acting, a garbage script and storyline, numerous plot holes and CGII'm sure there's a reason there hasn't been a Lone Ranger film for about thirty years. After seeing this, I know the reason why. Though Depp and Hammer are acceptable as leads and have some good chemistry between them and Tom Wilkinson is fitting as a villain, that isn't enough to save this film from bland and boring acting, a garbage script and storyline, numerous plot holes and CGI that's laughable at best. All we know is, due to the rather poor box office earnings of this film, we won't be seeing a Lone Ranger for another thirty years, and I'm quite happy for that. Expand
  30. Jul 18, 2013
    The tone veers from comedy to drama, with both genres badly written in another example of why Johnny Depp should work with directors than can say no. Depp's claims of presenting a positive representation of a Native American Indian character seem absurd on reflection, when he has delivered nothing more than a blackface performance that borders on racism. Verbinski's direction is straightThe tone veers from comedy to drama, with both genres badly written in another example of why Johnny Depp should work with directors than can say no. Depp's claims of presenting a positive representation of a Native American Indian character seem absurd on reflection, when he has delivered nothing more than a blackface performance that borders on racism. Verbinski's direction is straight out of parts two and three of the Pirates franchise and the assumption must be that Disney execs will soon lose their jobs with another bomb to follow John Carter. The only redeeming feature is Silver the horse, who deserves his own spin off series. The Lone Ranger himself is reduced to being a feeble joke figure with which the hapless Hammer can do nothing. The worst kind of Hollywood filmmaking. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Aug 8, 2013
    The Lone Ranger is content to simply pull another western trope out of the bag – the honky-tonk whorehouse, the ranch raid, the cavalry charge – give it a CGI spit-and-polish, and chuck it in the general direction of the audience. The result is frustrating, lazy and lifeless.
  2. Reviewed by: Angie Errigo
    Aug 5, 2013
    Talk about a pleasant surprise! Real storytelling, well thought-out and beautifully, at times insanely, executed, with excitement, laughs and fun to make you feel seven years old again.
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Mueller
    Jul 29, 2013
    Ultimately, it’s not as awful as "Wild Wild West." But we’ll hazard a guess that Pirates 5 can’t come quick enough for Bruckheimer or Depp.