Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: July 3, 2013
6.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 631 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SpangleJan 13, 2017
Championed by director Quentin Tarantino and noted film critic Matt Zoller Seitz as a prime candidate for re-evaluation, I must say that I agree. With an knack for being over-the-top, The Lone Ranger may drag in spots, but is a tremendousChampioned by director Quentin Tarantino and noted film critic Matt Zoller Seitz as a prime candidate for re-evaluation, I must say that I agree. With an knack for being over-the-top, The Lone Ranger may drag in spots, but is a tremendous time with audacious action set pieces at every turn. The soon-to-be-famed train sequence at the end and the opening sequence on a different train are phenomenal. While the middle could be a bit better and the film does go on for far too long, The Lone Ranger is a fun film that feels like a throwback to the bombastic days of 1970s and 1980s blockbusters. Channeling childish energy and a sense of childlike wonder for the mystery of the film's hero, director Gore Verbinski creates a blockbuster movie that is out of place in year 2013.

Since the days of Steven Spielberg revolutionizing the blockbuster movie in the 1970s and 1980s with fun adventure films that more than satisfied adults and became nostalgia for kids of then and now, the blockbuster movie has changed. Now, the films are shot like television shows, have quips at every turn that distract from the action, and are easily digestable. They lack intrigue, a sense of adventure, and feel manufactured. Now, of course, a lot of this comes from the resurgence of the studio's power in the filmmaking and the death of the big budget auteur. Yet, director Gore Verbinski has shown an ability to operate with a big budget and still come out on top with his 2003 film Pirates of the Caribbean. Though its sequels have slacked and been overly manufactured, the original is a fun, bombastic, action-packed, and guilt-free excursion across the oceans with Jack Sparrow. Taking that same energy and sense of adventure and applying it to The Lone Ranger, Verbinski's film was met with incredible levels of ridicule in the United States. As mentioned, some of his peers and noted critics such as Seitz or those in Britain found great value in the film. This is no mistake as the film seems to have escaped those entrusted to critique it. Accustomed to the new age blockbusters, critics could not stomach this throwback to old school blockbusters. While recognizing its action set pieces, its flaws and plotholes became the focus and, as such, were easily derided. The sooner folks realize that every film is flawed and has plot holes, the happier we will all become and all those plot holes do is distract from the fun that the film conjures up. There is no going through the motions or checking off boxes here. Rather, Verbinski sets up John Reid (Armie Hammer) and Tonto (Johnny Depp) to have an audacious adventure in order to stop Butch Cavendish (William Fichtner) and Latham Cole (Tom Wilkinson), while saving Rebecca (Ruth Wilson). An old school premise and execution, The Lone Ranger is pure energy.

This energy really is infectious to watch. As said, the middle part of the film takes a bit too long to get through. This likely where the film loses people as the plotting is a bit much at times and can seem a bit convenient. Of course, the film never loses its sense of fun with Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp having incredible chemistry with one another. Occasionally making light of their situations, the jokes always land, as does the Native American mysticism delivered by Tonto. Really setting the scene and marking the film as one about avenging the death of the Comanche tribe that Tonto was apart of, The Lone Ranger is essentially a lesson in the horrors committed against the Natives in the name of "progress". However, adding in mythology regarding the Natives that Tonto has made up as a coping mechanism, the film often becomes quite sad when you learn how Tonto wound up where he did. Yet, he is not as crazy as he seems as many of his "made up elements to explain the world" actually do explain things and allow the film as a whole to make a lot more sense. Though hardly realistic and decidedly over-the-top, the film is told as a story from Tonto to a young boy in 1933. As such, elements are likely exaggerated and exist solely to extend the legend of The Lone Ranger. Plus, the banter that it creates between Tonto and the Lone Ranger is always rich and rewarding with some great humor to it, as a result of their chemistry together and comic delivery.

The film also adds in some solid supporting characters in the form of characters such as Red (Helena Bonham Carter). Though underutilized, Red is a madame in a brothel with an ivory leg that she hides a gun in. A little bit crazy and unafraid to use her leg as a weapon, Red has some great comedy to her, largely thanks to Carter's performance. As the villains, Tom Wilkinson and William Fichtner are terrific. Wilkinson, portraying a cruel businessman after wealth, is calculating, smart, and unfeeling. As the brother of the businessman, Fichtner plays an outlaw wanted by the law. Brutal, cannibalistic, and truly evil, Fichtner plays a terrifically menacing bad guy that instills great fear in our hearts.
The3AcademySinsJun 7, 2016
The Lone Ranger is a pretty mediocre film. The script isn't the worst thing in the world, even though it does forget about some plot points. The acting is pretty sub par all around. However, the payoff at the end of the movie is quite fun.
clinteastwooMay 11, 2016
..........................................................................................................................................................Very good Written Very Good Acting and Direction
NotoriousFraudApr 14, 2016
Gore Verbinski's 'The Lone Ranger' is one of the most overlooked and under rated movies to come out in the past few years. Armie Hammer is memorable as the titular character, who evolves from a mild mannered city lawyer to a rogue dispenserGore Verbinski's 'The Lone Ranger' is one of the most overlooked and under rated movies to come out in the past few years. Armie Hammer is memorable as the titular character, who evolves from a mild mannered city lawyer to a rogue dispenser of western justice aided by a Native American outcast. Tonto, a character that Johnny Depp makes into his own, is also a refreshing satire on the "Noble Savage". I would also say Depp's controversial performance as Tonto is much more nuanced to counter Quentin Tarantino's more cynically written, blaxploitation-inspired characters in films like 'Django Unchained' & "Hateful Eight". But while Quentin took inspiration from the drive-in classics of the Grindhouse era for his western themed films, Director Gore Verbinski attempts to emote the brisk, adventuresome, zest of Sergio Leon's "Duck You Sucker!" while also infusing it with the modern novelties of a big budget and big effects. "The Lone Ranger" is both a wonderful homage to the western genre as well as a genuinely entertaining tale of the Wild West itself. Expand
GregePorterAug 31, 2015
Bottom line: The Lone Ranger is fine as long as you don't expect anything more than a Western on par with Pirates of the Caribbean.

It is interesting to read a review or listen to someone explain why he or she hates or loves something. Hatred often leads to the less than productive practice of nit picking. I’m guilty of it too, mind you. If I see a movie I loathe I might say something like, “Even the delivery of that line was lame.” Sure, I might mean that everything in the movie down to that specific line was bad but it comes down to little more than superficial criticism. Seeing examples of nit picking is helpful in reminding me that I shouldn’t partake. Why am I talking about this? After looking over some reviews of The Lone Ranger, I read a good bit of nitpicking.

Metacritic.com shows that The Lone Ranger currently has a 37% that tells you that the critics are panning it. Even after reading a number of reviews, I don’t understand why. The director, writers and producers were also responsible for Pirates of the Caribbean (also starring Johnny Depp). What are these people expecting?
A couple reviews complained that this interpretation of The Lone Ranger departed for the childhood memory too drastically. One critic noted that it was too violent for children. Quite right and that’s why it was rated PG-13. That is, children shouldn’t be going to see this and irresponsible parents are not grounds to criticize a movie. Others took offense that John Reid (Hammer), the Harvard educated district attorney who becomes the Lone Ranger, is little more than a bumbling fool compared to the clever, wily Captain Jack Sparrow Tonto (Depp). Some criticized the movie for juxtaposing the tomfoolery of Reid and Tonto with the images of US Cavalry Gatling gun mowing down a force of charging Comanche warriors. That it was inappropriate to mix the violence with the comedy. Think about what is going on here.

Historically speaking, the US cavalry massacring Native Americans did in fact happen. Instead of addressing history, we, as a society, have created the fantasy that is the Lone Ranger; he is a white male figure that stands for truth and justice in the Wild West. That is what we associate with the Wild West. The same relationship is present in this movie but condensed into parallel scenes. While the gruesome history plays out, a cartoon unfolds. We have the profiteering murderer building his self-serving transcontinental railway on the bodies of Comanche and Chinese immigrants. The movie doesn’t address the history or attempt to rationalize it. The villain receives his comeuppance but we still utilize the railroad. Since it’s already there we can use it, right?

This is a long movie so it has some lull points. If I had a nickel for every movie backstory chapter in recent years, I would be rich. Can’t we just have a character, like Tonto, exist? The villain of the movie actually had an important role in Tonto’s early life? Big deal. The movie didn’t belabor Cavendish’s past (or, if they did it wasn’t memorable) and I still understood his character. He is a cruel outlaw and, to show it, he cuts out and eats a man’s heart. What more must be said to characterize him as a villain?

I liked the Hans Zimmer’s soundtrack and I am not usually one to notice a movie’s soundtrack. This tells me either the movie was boring enough for my mind to wander or that it stuck out to me on its own. After listening to some of it on Youtube, I will confirm the latter but maybe because, like the rest of the movie, it has a Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-of-the-Wild-West vibe.

The acting, overall, was fine. Johnny Depp succeeds as a modern day Charlie Chaplin but, in that, he is a little silly for my tastes. Hammer’s performance as Reid is reasonable too. It wasn’t anything life changing but it wasn’t bad. Overall, “fine” is how I’ve come to describe The Lone Ranger. It is too silly for me to enjoy but it isn’t bad, at least, as long as your expectations are low…really low…none-existent-low. While I don’t think this movie deserves the hatred it seems to be receiving, you won’t be missing out if you pass on The Lone Ranger. If you do see it, it can be a good starting point for a discussion about race or America’s western expansion with respect to film
morfilAug 25, 2015
This movie was better than I expected since I knew it had gotten a lot of bad press when it was in theaters. However, it turned out to be pretty good.

The film was written to be a comedy and it was sort of funny. I don't remember anything about the TV show and if it was funny.

The story is about Tonto telling his tale to a little kid. We see how he met the Ranger and how he never wanted to kill anyone. Then the escape of the bad guy and chasing him throughout the film. Tonto was just in the film to be funny. He says the wrong brother lived and feeding a dead bird, just silly stuff. And at the end the action parts were good too with the famous music.
grandpajoe6191Aug 25, 2015
Gore Verbinski's "The Lone Ranger" does have way too much things going on its wandering plot and script, but hey, the movie is actually really enjoyable with Johnny Depp and his usual-comedic performances piecing this long action blockbusterGore Verbinski's "The Lone Ranger" does have way too much things going on its wandering plot and script, but hey, the movie is actually really enjoyable with Johnny Depp and his usual-comedic performances piecing this long action blockbuster something suitable as a family film of all ages to watch during the weekends. Expand
sicranoAug 7, 2015
litlle tedious sometimes but have so much much of the best scenes of action in train very good masterpieces train scenes...
Zanessa250QIJul 13, 2015
....................................................Super Subestimado......................................... Pelos críticos ......... Imbecis................................. E fudido na blilheteria .............................. Pelo....................................................Super Subestimado......................................... Pelos críticos ......... Imbecis................................. E fudido na blilheteria .............................. Pelo públicos imbecis ................. e ingratos Expand
GentM2015Jun 15, 2015
The Lone Ranger seems to me very misunderstood.I love this film so much,it has great visual effects,cast and score.What more could you ask for ? Also let's not forget the very good and strong story line that absolutely keeps you invested onThe Lone Ranger seems to me very misunderstood.I love this film so much,it has great visual effects,cast and score.What more could you ask for ? Also let's not forget the very good and strong story line that absolutely keeps you invested on the movie until the very end.And the action is great too,especially one particular scene in the end that is very awesome.
I still can't see how people keep on hating on this film just because it didn't make billions at Box Office.Not every movie has to be successful at making money to be considered a good movie.
th4nat4t002Jun 3, 2015
critics naturally get paid to critizise stuff. so a critic who would say "hmk 264th movie of johnny depp is still great" would do a bad job. instead a good job does the critic who critizes against all odds. what else should he do? still acritics naturally get paid to critizise stuff. so a critic who would say "hmk 264th movie of johnny depp is still great" would do a bad job. instead a good job does the critic who critizes against all odds. what else should he do? still a great movie. but i have to admit johnny depp really saves the day. Expand
LoRevisorJan 19, 2015
Um dos melhores filmes da Disney,Gore Verbinsky tem grandes êxitos feito,porém apenas três foram reconhecidos Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl 2003,The Ring 2002 e Rango 2011,deveriam reconhece The Mexican 2001,PiratesUm dos melhores filmes da Disney,Gore Verbinsky tem grandes êxitos feito,porém apenas três foram reconhecidos Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl 2003,The Ring 2002 e Rango 2011,deveriam reconhece The Mexican 2001,Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest 2006 e The Lone Ranger embora Pirates of the Caribbean 3:At Worlds End 2007 seja ótimo também.
Um filme incompreendido ou "fodido" de propósito por causa das polêmicas críticas de Johnny Depp sobre os EUA.
Confesso em certas partes o filme falha,mas é um dos filmes mais divertidos de assistir,grandes cenas de ação muito engraçado,escrito,e atuado Créditos aos brilhantes roteiristas Ted Elliot e Terry Rossio,e Créditos a atuações de Armie Hammer,Johnny Depp,William Fitchner e Tom Wilkinson.
Excelente Filme!!!
JohnMasterLJan 4, 2015
No entiendo porque tantas criticas negativas... La película no es perfecta, pero es super entretenida, la primera hora es brillante, las secuencias son geniales, la hora y media que resta después tiene sus fallos, pero no son horribles, y laNo entiendo porque tantas criticas negativas... La película no es perfecta, pero es super entretenida, la primera hora es brillante, las secuencias son geniales, la hora y media que resta después tiene sus fallos, pero no son horribles, y la secuencia final del tren pff... increíble. No juzguen ni se dejen llevar por las criticas sin antes de ver (ese fue mi error). Expand
NerdConsultantDec 29, 2014
I want to like the Lone ranger I really do but this film fails so much. the actors are really not suited to there roles especially Armie Hammer as the title character and while Johnny Deep gets a good line every once in a while his TontoI want to like the Lone ranger I really do but this film fails so much. the actors are really not suited to there roles especially Armie Hammer as the title character and while Johnny Deep gets a good line every once in a while his Tonto seems way too close to his Jack Sparrow performance. some of the action sequences towards the end are good but with the film being too long and overcomplicated it's too little, too late Expand
callumjsouthDec 13, 2014
Another unique character portrayed brilliantly by Johnny Depp. In this case though the character is placed inside a world and story that lacks any real impact. All the characters around him are scapegoats who are just there for presence. It'sAnother unique character portrayed brilliantly by Johnny Depp. In this case though the character is placed inside a world and story that lacks any real impact. All the characters around him are scapegoats who are just there for presence. It's a film that is easily forgettable despite fresh innovations. Don't watch this one in a hurry. Expand
JalemanyDec 9, 2014
Great entertainment. Not sure what the critics were looking for here, giving such low grades. Action, wonderful filming, love, Indians, guns, trains ... great pace and rhythm. Of course, if you are having a "deep" night, you better take aGreat entertainment. Not sure what the critics were looking for here, giving such low grades. Action, wonderful filming, love, Indians, guns, trains ... great pace and rhythm. Of course, if you are having a "deep" night, you better take a book or choose a different genre, that's all. Expand
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"The Lone Ranger" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

The Good: While it was a bad film, it was not as bad as I was expecting it to be. In fact, it had some decent moments and Armie Hammer as the Lone Ranger was not the problem at all. The
"The Lone Ranger" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

The Bad: Depp was awful. I'm not sure what he was going for here, but it misses the mark. The humor also misses and was a distraction from an already weak plot. The film's 2:29 run time was way too long ... and felt even longer than it was.
DannyGNov 8, 2014
We Get To See A Nation of Thieves At Work! While the Lone Ranger succeeds in maintaining a great sense of humor throughout, and never takes it's self too seriously, this film is still able to convey some incredibly powerful messages that needWe Get To See A Nation of Thieves At Work! While the Lone Ranger succeeds in maintaining a great sense of humor throughout, and never takes it's self too seriously, this film is still able to convey some incredibly powerful messages that need to resonate with more people.

This brilliant story makes it clear as crystal: the Crimes Against Humanity, otherwise known as acts of genocide, committed in the 19th century in the name of "Progress" and "Greed and/or Capitalism" continues to benefit all non-American Indians to this very day! It was a shocking revelation! I never thought of this legacy of undeserved benefit at the cost of countless innocent lives had anything to do with me!

Our ancestors were a nation of thieves! Hello! Most Americans are descended From European cultures that practically worship property rights and most of us still do! Yet our ancestors would kill entire villages of native people without a second thought in order to steal their land and/or their natural resources! All because they knew they could get away with their crimes without ever being held the least bit accountable by anyone!

There's several episodes of intense violence in the Lone Ranger that made me feel like bolting out the theater door! I have extensive knowledge of American history and the historically accurate violence shown in this film caught me totally off-guard! (See: "North American Indian Timeline, 1492-1999," from thelatinlibraryorg)

What makes matters even more painful is that in various parts of the world the killing of native peoples in order to steal their land and/or natural resources is still going on today! Yes! Today! (See: Survival International, headquartered in London, England with a chapter in San Fransisco; and Cultural Survival located in Cambridge, Massachusetts.)

This story is really about Tonto and his people the Comanche, not the Lone Ranger! Without Tonto, the Lone Ranger would have remained an easily deceived, bumbling fool!
SpankySep 3, 2014
Bar none, the second worst movie I have ever seen. Like "The Amazing Spiderman 2", it tries to be funny and serious at the same time and fails miserably at both. I forced myself to watch it to the end just to make sure the awefulness wouldBar none, the second worst movie I have ever seen. Like "The Amazing Spiderman 2", it tries to be funny and serious at the same time and fails miserably at both. I forced myself to watch it to the end just to make sure the awefulness would continue up to the last scene. It did. Expand
oxanaAug 24, 2014
I'm not familiar with the original material this film is based on, so I cannot say how close or far off it is to/from that.

Other than that, this is a standard Johnny Depp performance (with surprisingly little mannerism copied from Captain Jack Sparrow of The Pirates of the Caribbean franchise). Arnie Hammer stands on his own as John Reid the Lone Ranger, but it's clear who the star of the movie is.

The story is told from a rather unexpected viewpoint, which makes the plot a little quirkier, in an entertaining way.

This is your standard action flick with light-hearted banter and some of those flashy fighting scenes we've already seen a few times elsewhere. Some of them look extremely familiar.

The horse is funny, but mostly because Tonto says it's funny. (At some point the horse stops being a horse and becomes a comedic figure. That's kind of troublesome.)

All in all, an enjoyable movie that offers very little new, feels maybe a little dragged out but has a sufficient amount of action that it keeps you entertained all the way to the end - and keeps you from seeing all the deeply unsettling historical events that happen in the foreground.
MrBlackTronJul 28, 2014
Çizgi filmine hem hikaye hem de ortam olarak sadık kalınmış ve ortaya uzun ama çok güzel bir film çıkmış , devamı da gelecek muhtemelen. kısacası hala izlemeyenler varsa bir şekilde izleyin tavsiye ederim.
sammurphy66Jul 17, 2014
Bolstered by strong performances, brilliant visuals, and witty one-liners, The Lone Ranger is a satisfying popcorn flick, but is rather scattershot and disjointed.
MikeB618Jun 18, 2014
I sat down to watch this movie and said "ok let's see why the critics gave this movie such bad reviews" and at the end, I still didn't know why it got ripped apart. This movie is fantastic. The story is gripping and provides a lot of depth.I sat down to watch this movie and said "ok let's see why the critics gave this movie such bad reviews" and at the end, I still didn't know why it got ripped apart. This movie is fantastic. The story is gripping and provides a lot of depth. Disney utilizes the 2.5hrs the way they should be. If this movie was an hour shorter, it would feel like a rushed and muddled mess but it takes it's time and at no points in this movie did I say "this is boring". I am a sucker for movies with well written stories and this one delivers. Every actor and actress is perfect for their role and the story doesn't take a back seat to a shoehorned in love story (which is always refreshing). The only reason I give this a 9 instead of 10 is because I think it would have been marginally better if the kid in the fair thing wasn't in there but The Lone Ranger in no way is a bad movie. Expand
InlikeflynnJun 7, 2014
This is another of those films that seem to only feed the ego of it's director...

The action scenes are well shoot and it's a good re-telling of the lone ranger story; however, there is zero subtlety... many times the movie forcefully tries to make you laugh with bad pun after bad pun it become old really quick especially when you see the actors are doing their best to bring a good performance but with the script being the way it is, it's almost impossible.

The movie is not all bad though, I like the soundtrack and the acting from the majority of the actors is good... but I wouldn't recommend it
IMAX500May 22, 2014
Richard Roper is right! This is the most train-wrecked movie I ever saw in my life. I Mean, Why Would it be an Oscar nominee for make-up? this was loud, Digital Explosions and terrible music!
CiaranMcDaid12May 16, 2014
must say i didn't like it at all!!!! so boring it was and Johnny Depp's performance was so disappointing!!!!
(he still is one of my favourite actors ever!!!)
DLWilsonMay 11, 2014
I understand why critics don't like this movie: It mixes legend with comedy. Legends are supposed to be serious, and comedy an incidental, momentary intermix if allowed at all. Another movie, also a western, that moved the needle way overI understand why critics don't like this movie: It mixes legend with comedy. Legends are supposed to be serious, and comedy an incidental, momentary intermix if allowed at all. Another movie, also a western, that moved the needle way over to comedy was "Wild Wild West" (1999), which was criticized for many of the same reasons. More troubling for "The Lone Ranger" is that Tonto, the most serious and taciturn character in the original Long Ranger legend, is now the main protagonist and jokester. And on top of that is the magical conversation between an ancient Tonto and a child, which arguably was dispensable to the plot. All of this is not what the audience expected. Does that mean it's bad? Is it fundamentally flawed, the way some people feel about opera (or Broadway musicals)?

The answer is no. You just have to lose your expectations as soon as Tonto starts messing with that kid, and sign on for the ride. From then on, it's a clever and engaging story, great characters, plenty of legendary good guys, bad guys and justice, and some spectacular action sequences, capped off by the magnificent one that begins with a full orchestra blasting that unforgettable Lone Ranger theme for a long, wild ride. As one old enough to remember being instantly mesmerized into suspension of disbelief by that theme on the radio as a kid, it lifted me right out of my chair. Hi-yo, Silver, away! I loved it.
Rick_Masters78May 7, 2014
I loved every minute of it. The movie has a nice pace... seems many people are missing the point that is how The Lone Ranger became the legend that still is nowadays. How the story unfolds is wonderful. The climax is so amazing, that I wasI loved every minute of it. The movie has a nice pace... seems many people are missing the point that is how The Lone Ranger became the legend that still is nowadays. How the story unfolds is wonderful. The climax is so amazing, that I was at the edge of my seat. A great adventure movie. Expand
oblique15Apr 26, 2014
Critics are being way to hard on this movie. I thought it was pretty good. At first it looks like it might be to silly, but for the most part it`s serious.I was even surprised to see some of the violence in a Disney movie.It`s a great adventure.
RevWynn85Apr 21, 2014
The Lone Ranger is a much better movie than the critics give it credit for. (As it's also indicated by a solid user score) Let's get the negative out of the way first. The first hour and a half was just a bloated setup. It could have beenThe Lone Ranger is a much better movie than the critics give it credit for. (As it's also indicated by a solid user score) Let's get the negative out of the way first. The first hour and a half was just a bloated setup. It could have been done in half that time. That's where the 2 points I knocked off came from. The final 45 minutes though are as entertaining a movie can get. It was fun and funny. I would give this a 10 if they trimmed the first 90 minutes into 45-60 minutes and then leave the final 45 minutes as is and you have a classic on your hands. I highly recommend this movie! Expand
amishrobotsApr 21, 2014
This movie is a tribute to childhood afternoons spent watching westerns, and then playing outside with cap guns and cowboy hats, and as such I think it succeeds perfectly. I think that it perfectly captures the spirit of those old cowboyThis movie is a tribute to childhood afternoons spent watching westerns, and then playing outside with cap guns and cowboy hats, and as such I think it succeeds perfectly. I think that it perfectly captures the spirit of those old cowboy shows, while being smart enough to also poke a bit of fun at them, but earnest enough to also capture that childhood magic. You can fully expect a six-shot revolver to never run out of bullets until it is dramatically convenient for it to do so, a faithful horse that will magically appear at just the right place and time when its needed (um, even if that means showing up "Santa Claus style"),villains with the blackest of hearts, and at least one overly gratuitous exploration of the "ricochet" concept. If you're looking for a "grown up", "mature" re-telling of "The Lone Ranger" then forget it; this is a celebration of childhood, of everything that was great and awful in those old cowboy shows. So put your cynical, grown-up, critic goggles away, grab a bag of peanuts, and just enjoy the show! Expand
DalekMar 21, 2014
Whats with the negative reviews? This film is a solid 10 for me. The film has a great flow. A bit of a slow beginning but the explosions and effects are fantastic and so is the acting. The storyline isn't insanely special but none the lessWhats with the negative reviews? This film is a solid 10 for me. The film has a great flow. A bit of a slow beginning but the explosions and effects are fantastic and so is the acting. The storyline isn't insanely special but none the less it's a very entertaining film. The CG may be a tiny bit off here and there but that doesn't spoil it. There's also a charm of humour in it as well which makes it great.

I was entertained the whole way through. I highly recommend it!
OfficialMar 8, 2014
It isn't very good. But that does not mean that it doesn't have some cool entertaining scenes. It does not, however, live up to the "Pirates of the Caribbean" series. The script is pretty bland and its runtime is too long.
TreebeardMar 3, 2014
The Lone Ranger definitely has its ups and downs. Personal preference may alter peoples impression of the film, but it is hard to deny that this film is filled with indecipherable sequences that seem as if they were made to be piecedThe Lone Ranger definitely has its ups and downs. Personal preference may alter peoples impression of the film, but it is hard to deny that this film is filled with indecipherable sequences that seem as if they were made to be pieced together by the viewer for no apparent reason. It is a simple story that is told in a confusing fashion, and a movie that could have been presented in 1 to 2 hours is presented in a fat 2 and a half hours instead.
That put aside, this film will please a wide range of people because Johnny Depp's performance brings the movie to life. Gore Verbinski's directing style, imagination and choreography skills are almost unmatched, resulting in fast-paced, action-packed battle sequences that are sure to keep you excited and entertained. The cast keeps the movie together and although the high budget of this film may have caused its downfall, it also made for fantastic visual effects that keep your jaw dropped.
The movie starts off well, with a fair combination of story and action, but as the film progresses, you might just sink into your couch with boredom. This movie, that is both long and confusing, does not keep it's audience on edge for the most part. The trailers for the movie are deceiving, but that does not mean that it does not offer any entertainment value at all. In fact, this movie is worth watching solely for the sake of the final action sequence: an incredible mix of multi-perspective choreography, comedic action and a handful of shoot-em'-up Disney style makes the movie go out with an awesome and attempts to make up for the rest of the movie.
For any Pirates of the Carribean fans, Tim Burton cast lovers or action movie geeks, you should definitely watch this movie if you are hesitant or have nothing else to do.
jwgeustynFeb 28, 2014
Maybe misunderstood by most in their expectation of finding yet another (monotonously boring?) rendition of blazing gun super hero know all conquer all movies, but in stead being confronted with a quirky turned on the head version of theMaybe misunderstood by most in their expectation of finding yet another (monotonously boring?) rendition of blazing gun super hero know all conquer all movies, but in stead being confronted with a quirky turned on the head version of the traditional? Who is the real hero? I found Depp to be classic Depp. Hammer does justice to a difficult "understated hero" role. Patronizing, quirky, funny, a worthwhile watch. Although, as a mainstream general superhero movie, most probably not the one to watch. I say thank you, thank you, thank you that some producers still have the guts to discard the tried and tested muffin recipe and come up with something different and fresh to entertain me. Expand
TheQuietGamerFeb 21, 2014
Not that bad. It's not perfect, but the movie has a lot of potential and is definitely better than the last few "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies. I wasn't expecting much considering the negative reviews and my lack of love for every "PiratesNot that bad. It's not perfect, but the movie has a lot of potential and is definitely better than the last few "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies. I wasn't expecting much considering the negative reviews and my lack of love for every "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie after the first, but overall while flawed the movie is still a decent, but non-essential watch. There are a lot of better ways to spend your time, but there is some fun to be had here.

The plot is pretty decent even if the movie treats it's main characters a goofballs who are impossible to take seriously. Literally The Lone Ranger and Tonto come across os what would typically be the comic relief characters in other movies, and the only reason they survive 90% of the events in the movie just comes down to shear luck. There are plenty of funny moments, and the action scenes can get pretty great at times, but it really is hard to take any of it seriously thank to how stupid the film treats it's two leads. That being said Johnny Depp's Tonto manages to be even more enjoyable than his "Jack Sparrow," which is an incredibly impressive feat.

Overall the film has a lot of flaws, and there are plenty of better movies to watch, but there are also tons of worse options and at least "The Lone Ranger" doesn't feel like a complete waste of time. I can't compare it to the original TV show it's based off of because I've never watched it, but I would have a hard time believing it does it that much justice at all. In the end though this movie isn't bad, just really flawed. I wouldn't recommend you go out and watch this over the tons of better options out there, but if you've got nothing better to watch this is an ok choice. Just don't expect to be blown away or particularly impressed, because it's just decent all around.
OwenMckennaFeb 2, 2014
Owen McKenna Rio Rancho, NM. Although the film strayed from the storyline of the TV series, I thought the film was entertaining, just not what I was expecting. Johnny Depp brought life to Tanto, as he does with most of his characters. OverallOwen McKenna Rio Rancho, NM. Although the film strayed from the storyline of the TV series, I thought the film was entertaining, just not what I was expecting. Johnny Depp brought life to Tanto, as he does with most of his characters. Overall and enjoyable Disney creation. Expand
gmnzJan 31, 2014
Lead actor was by far the worst lead actor I've ever watched. Johnny Depp was in his usual quirky self. Which is becoming a bore to me. The only thing that fit in this movie, is the villain. Everything else is just forgettable.
BogKidJan 30, 2014
The DVD came out and I thought, "Well, maybe this movie has been over-reviewed and it simply cannot be as bad as it has been reviewed." It is! Throughout the entire forty minutes I could stand watching this thing I could just here theThe DVD came out and I thought, "Well, maybe this movie has been over-reviewed and it simply cannot be as bad as it has been reviewed." It is! Throughout the entire forty minutes I could stand watching this thing I could just here the writers and actors and crew laughing together and saying, "This is really funny." It isn't! Expand
AGarcia732Jan 22, 2014
Critics are haters. They're like blood-thirsty vampires. They feed on negative energy. This movie was actually very good, and I loved watching Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer working together as a team. The film is not nearly as bad as criticsCritics are haters. They're like blood-thirsty vampires. They feed on negative energy. This movie was actually very good, and I loved watching Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer working together as a team. The film is not nearly as bad as critics suggest, even though I have a few objections over the cannibalism and sexual undertones the movie had, since kids might have been watching. However, there are also some very humorous scenes between Depp and Hammer in the movie. Overall, I enjoyed this movie and hope there will be a sequel, though it seems unlikely. I would purchase this movie on DVD, as it very good.

(P.S, you may have seen this review by me before under "andrewgarcia732". I can't get into my old account and have started a new one.)

If you liked this review, read my other reviews by clicking on my name and mark this review as helpful.
ChespinJJan 21, 2014
How is this a bad movie? It is a great movie with action, humor and more. Johnny DEPP! That explains that it is a great movie. It is epic. Will beat dick sucking movies like HER>
exhibeJan 17, 2014
In Theaters:
July 3, 2013
MPAA Rating:PG-13 (for sequences of intense action and violence, and some suggestive material) Genres:Action/Adventure, Action/Adventure, Western, Adaptation Distributors:Walt Disney Pictures Box
In Theaters:
July 3, 2013
Genres:Action/Adventure, Action/Adventure, Western, Adaptation
Distributors:Walt Disney Pictures
Box Office:$48,936,000
Synopsis:
Native American warrior Tonto recounts the untold tales that transformed John Reid, a man of the law, into a legend of justice—taking the audience on a runaway train of epic surprises and humorous friction as the two unlikely heroes must learn to work together and fight against greed and corruption EXHIBE FLIX (www.exhibeflix.com)
Forza182Jan 16, 2014
After watching the movie I'm truly speechless at these reviews. Watch for yourself, you won't know what on Earth they are talking about. I won't bother trying to defend it, go see for yourself how awesome it is.
betgoldJan 13, 2014
great movie,i was smiling and laughing with the kids in the theatre all the time,some of my friends saw the negative reviews and were sceptical,but they changed their opinion after seeing it.
this movie is definetly worth checking out!!
mrmonsterJan 12, 2014
I don't understand why the critics thought it was so bad (apparently 300 don't either). It was a god movie, and I wish it didn't do so horribly at the box office. It was action packed and hilarious. Why the heck were the critics so harsh.
CLSJan 9, 2014
I'm not a fan of the so-called "Spaghetti Western" genre. I've only known the Lone Ranger franchise from a piss-poor foreign adaptation (HINT: It's from a Southeast-Asian country) of an American franchise. Even if Johnny Depp was theI'm not a fan of the so-called "Spaghetti Western" genre. I've only known the Lone Ranger franchise from a piss-poor foreign adaptation (HINT: It's from a Southeast-Asian country) of an American franchise. Even if Johnny Depp was the selling point of this movie, Armie Hammer delivered a convincing Lone Ranger performance.

It's a shame that many critics bashed this movie and it looks like the "Spaghetti Western" genre would need to take a rest for a long time after this debacle.
TheGreatJokerJan 7, 2014
Quite shallow in storyline. But still great performance by Johnny Depp. Overall an -ok- movie and might be enjoyed by some fans. Needs a better storyline...
scottawanJan 3, 2014
i went into this film blind as I had no idea of the critical reviews or box offices losses. All I can say is that I really enjoyed this movie and it was exactly what I expected like the Mummy and Pirates and Raiders franchises.i went into this film blind as I had no idea of the critical reviews or box offices losses. All I can say is that I really enjoyed this movie and it was exactly what I expected like the Mummy and Pirates and Raiders franchises. Immediately after watching it I checked to see if there were sequels in the works. I give it a ten for delivering exactly what it promised. Expand
python2000Jan 3, 2014
Possibly the hardest movie to critique I have ever seen, I can't decide whether I think this is Rotten or not! 60% of the movie is Johnny Depp playing the same character he always plays and out of place euphemisms, while the other 40% is aPossibly the hardest movie to critique I have ever seen, I can't decide whether I think this is Rotten or not! 60% of the movie is Johnny Depp playing the same character he always plays and out of place euphemisms, while the other 40% is a ridiculously entertaining but unintelligent action movie full of huge machine guns and trains which can defy the laws of physics. Every time that unforgettable and universally recognised theme song comes on you start enjoying it and then it goes back too Johnny Depp being the same unfunny character he always plays and Armie Hammer being quite annoying actually. I'll give it 3 stars because of how amazingly enjoyable the action sequences are. Expand
Cam1010Dec 29, 2013
I must take exception to some of the reviews posted by my fellow cinema goers. As someone who has enjoyed Johnny Depp in everything I had seen previously, love westerns, and grew up watching The Lone Ranger, I was eager to love this film.I must take exception to some of the reviews posted by my fellow cinema goers. As someone who has enjoyed Johnny Depp in everything I had seen previously, love westerns, and grew up watching The Lone Ranger, I was eager to love this film. However, its just a mess. Worse western Ive seen since the remake of 3:10 to Yuma and thats saying a lot..... Expand
LTRDec 28, 2013
This is an average Disney movie. The story is good,the characters are okay but cartoonish at times and the action is good. I know a lot of people hate this movie and I can see why, but personally I thought it was ok.
foxgroveDec 28, 2013
Unbelievably under valued, this is a light and enjoyable movie. Johnny Depp is, for him, very understated here as Tonto and his fun playing of the character is all the better for it. In the scenes in which he plays him as an old man he isUnbelievably under valued, this is a light and enjoyable movie. Johnny Depp is, for him, very understated here as Tonto and his fun playing of the character is all the better for it. In the scenes in which he plays him as an old man he is totally unrecognisable so good is the make up for his aged character. The cinematography is first rate and much enjoyment is generated from the outstanding stunt work on display aboard a fast moving train. Hans Zimmer intuitively ties everything up nicely via his perfectly fitting and, at times, beautifully melodic score. Expand
deamonhunterDec 26, 2013
Although most people underrated the movie it is worth it to watch. The cast had many good actors if not close to great, just to mention few there was Johnny Depp, Armie Hammer, William Fichtner, Helena Bonham Carter. The movie is a typicallyAlthough most people underrated the movie it is worth it to watch. The cast had many good actors if not close to great, just to mention few there was Johnny Depp, Armie Hammer, William Fichtner, Helena Bonham Carter. The movie is a typically action movie with a little bit weak story line. Yes it dose include some boring parts which add to the length of the movie. Generally it is a enjoyable movie which chance that a person will watch it 1-2 times. Expand
dlmartinoDec 25, 2013
The Lone Ranger deserved better ratings and comments than what it got. It was funny and had a lot of action. Everyone is against the idea of Johnny Depp playing tonto here i think he did a hell of a job playing the role. JD brought humor andThe Lone Ranger deserved better ratings and comments than what it got. It was funny and had a lot of action. Everyone is against the idea of Johnny Depp playing tonto here i think he did a hell of a job playing the role. JD brought humor and whit into the movie which made it watchable. Expand
JNOTRDec 21, 2013
The Lone Ranger 1949 series was one of the biggest hits in television history, and for me this movie's accomplishment honor (not the best way but it does). Johnny Depp shows us a more like Tonto Jack Sparrow that Jay Silverheels starring.The Lone Ranger 1949 series was one of the biggest hits in television history, and for me this movie's accomplishment honor (not the best way but it does). Johnny Depp shows us a more like Tonto Jack Sparrow that Jay Silverheels starring. Gore Verbinski does a good direction, but I am already half sick of us do get used by Tim Burton to see Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter together on screen. Armie Hammer grandly homage to the great Clayton Moore (who can rest in peace thanks to Hammer). The comedic moments manage to make you laugh out loud almost (Johnny Depp in the special). What I did not like that becomes boring and middle parts of the very fictional script. Expand
pastor43Dec 20, 2013
Born in 1966 I was privileged to grow up watching the Lone Ranger on TV, I was unable to catch the movie in the theaters and was anxious to see it on DVD, I can honestly say the critics got this one correct. This movie was awful and I amBorn in 1966 I was privileged to grow up watching the Lone Ranger on TV, I was unable to catch the movie in the theaters and was anxious to see it on DVD, I can honestly say the critics got this one correct. This movie was awful and I am offended that they made the Lone Ranger character out to be this buffoon and the Tonto character a bumbling idiot. I figured the whole story out 30 minutes into it and was exhausted and stun afterwards I only sat through it because of my kids and I explained to them that this movie was a farce, it should have never been made. I am normally not hard on movies but considering myself a serious movie buff, I am completely appalled. Disney was wondering why the critics dogged it because like me they remember the Lone Ranger as a smart, charismatic man of truth and justice with a keen mind and sense of valor with his trusty sidekick ready to assist and keen as well. I think I am done now, this movie was simply bad. Expand
BrianMcCriticDec 20, 2013
Two and a half hours of nothing. There is very little character development and by the end you care about no one. It's not one of the worst movies of 2013 only because it's fairly well made but the length makes it unwatchable. D+
Nesbitt10Dec 16, 2013
Disney goes all in with "The Lone Ranger" in the hopes of creating another successful franchise similar to that of "Pirates of the Caribbean," by reuniting director Gore Verbinski, producer Jerry Bruckheimer, and Johnny Depp. However, itDisney goes all in with "The Lone Ranger" in the hopes of creating another successful franchise similar to that of "Pirates of the Caribbean," by reuniting director Gore Verbinski, producer Jerry Bruckheimer, and Johnny Depp. However, it becomes readily apparent Bruckheimer is attempting to launch a new Western fantasy franchise (with a price tag hovering around a quarter of a billion dollars), by simply cloning his previous lucrative endeavor. "The Lone Ranger” suffers from an overly elaborate plot that contains a muddled sense of humor peppered with moments of out-of-place violence. The movie has an encouraging start, but slips into a lethargic second act, and ultimately ends as an overblown mess that goes on far too long.

The year is 1869 and the first transcontinental railroad is nearing completion. As Texas-born attorney John Reid (Armie Hammer) is traveling home from college, when the train he is on is hijacked by a band of outlaws who have come to free their cannibalistic leader Butch Cavendish (William Fichtner) from custody. John joins his brother Dan (James Badge Dale) and the rest of the Texas Rangers to track him down, but Butch Cavendish ambushes the group of men en route, and leaves them to perish in the desert.

Left for dead, John receives aid from a Comanche Indian named Tonto (Johnny Depp), whose life John saved in an earlier encounter at the behest of a white spirit horse. Both men want to bring Cavendish to justice for their own reasons, so they decide to team up, with John donning a mask to hide his identity. But on their quest to take down Cavendish and his men, the pair uncovers a larger plot involving railroad tycoon Latham Cole (Tom Wilkinson) that could spell trouble for the native tribes.

The erratic nature of the storytelling really hurts the overall result, especially when the film already feels cluttered and completely overblown. While the movie has some enjoyable, entertaining moments, the second act of the film loses steam feeling lifeless and dull when it takes itself far too seriously. Additionally confusing is the handful of dark and violent moments that are present in a summer blockbuster family friendly movie. Another significant issue is the excruciatingly long runtime, which clocks in at tiresome 150 minutes.

A mixed bag of conflicting films all in one, "The Lone Ranger" is occasionally entertaining, yet ultimately disappointing. Deviating between violence, gruesome villains, and silly humor, the film never quite figures out what it wants to be and when to call it quits.
sanyrubDec 15, 2013
It´s decent. It´s not as bad as everyone wants to make it seem, and not not too good either. Great things are some amazing and fun action scenes, the cinematography and the score (Hans Zimmer as always doing a great job). Overall it´sIt´s decent. It´s not as bad as everyone wants to make it seem, and not not too good either. Great things are some amazing and fun action scenes, the cinematography and the score (Hans Zimmer as always doing a great job). Overall it´s entertaining, which makes it get a pass from me. But there are some really bad things. Jonny Depp character is just too silly and his acting here is not good. Armie Hammer does a decent job (in fact I checked this movies thanks to him, I really liked his performance in Clint Eastwood´s "J. Edgar" with Leo DiCaprio). And there are too many silly moments mixing modern things with how the world worked back then. It doesn´t work. Still a fun watch. Expand
RevRonDec 3, 2013
Despite the critical reviews and audience’s general hatred of the film, I really enjoyed “The Lone Ranger.” The film is not without its problems as Armie Hammer’s performance is a little cheesy for the fabled hero of the old west but heDespite the critical reviews and audience’s general hatred of the film, I really enjoyed “The Lone Ranger.” The film is not without its problems as Armie Hammer’s performance is a little cheesy for the fabled hero of the old west but he eventually gets better as the film progresses. Secondly, the story felt a little long and it tended to drag at points. However, there are some great action sequences, William Fichtner is great as the villain and Johnny Depp is pretty entertaining as Tonto. The film has its good and it has its bad but I enjoyed it more than I hated it. Expand
cag11Nov 30, 2013
I absolutely loved it. I heard of all the bad things about it, which made me skeptical at first, but when i watched it I thought to myself "Wow, this is actually fairly decent". It adds yet another dark tone to Disney, plus more. It gets aI absolutely loved it. I heard of all the bad things about it, which made me skeptical at first, but when i watched it I thought to myself "Wow, this is actually fairly decent". It adds yet another dark tone to Disney, plus more. It gets a lot of hate for some reason, and that reason will remain a mystery. Expand
Dimitris01Nov 22, 2013
Dramatic scenes mixed with poor humour (e.g. brave Indian warriors are decimated by the army machine guns and then we see Tonto wondering how his horse climbed on a tree), Depp playing like a wooden totem, fights which look more like a circusDramatic scenes mixed with poor humour (e.g. brave Indian warriors are decimated by the army machine guns and then we see Tonto wondering how his horse climbed on a tree), Depp playing like a wooden totem, fights which look more like a circus show, needless scenes (such as the search in the brothel) and a ridiculous hero (he acts like an idiot or follows lunatic Tonto) ‘Lone Ranger’ was almost painful. Besides, it’s idiotic that the protagonist claims to be an atheist and at the same time he is a fan of John Locke’s work: doesn’t he know that Locke’s philosophy is based on the idea that the human being is created by God? That’s why it has an immense value, objectively, and to protect and honour that value the human rights exist. It’s no coincidence that only Christian societies invented constitutions that treated people with dignity (and then other societies followed their example).
The only good things of this movie are its presentation and some concepts borrowed from ‘Once upon a time in the west’, like the wait in the train station, the ambitious railway tycoon or the watch which reminds Tonto of his painful past.
argonautis.eu
homandavoodiOct 31, 2013
The Lone Ranger is flawed in many ways. It seems that a wrong strategy has been applied from the beginning of the production. Combining the elements of comedy and fantasy with a very bitter and realistic story has chocked the movie. UnlessThe Lone Ranger is flawed in many ways. It seems that a wrong strategy has been applied from the beginning of the production. Combining the elements of comedy and fantasy with a very bitter and realistic story has chocked the movie. Unless the first and last sequences, the film's dramatic background doesn’t allow the inclusion of elements of parody, and the Mr. Verbinsky's efforts, who has already succeeded to make a perfect parody of western movies (Rango), fails. At the center (in the core) of The Lone Ranger lies a western in classical form, devoid of fantasy or Humorous arrays, that in current shape is buried beneath a mass of unfunny jokes, inappropriate special effects, undeveloped relationships between characters and numerous and futile Occurrences. Expand
JmsbppOct 30, 2013
pelicula ser tonta y predecible. the lone ranger es algo desaprovechado, pues se torna aburrida es algo ridiculo Jhonny depp y las cosas no salen bien despues de un impactante trailer, la descepcion quedo clara con 2:30 horas de intentarpelicula ser tonta y predecible. the lone ranger es algo desaprovechado, pues se torna aburrida es algo ridiculo Jhonny depp y las cosas no salen bien despues de un impactante trailer, la descepcion quedo clara con 2:30 horas de intentar hacer valer un muy mediocre trabajo Expand
atormorkanOct 23, 2013
All though this movie was not perfect it certainly did not deserve to get banged up by a lot of critics and others who I feel are somewhat close minded.This is the kind of movie that appeals to people with a capability for abstract thinkingAll though this movie was not perfect it certainly did not deserve to get banged up by a lot of critics and others who I feel are somewhat close minded.This is the kind of movie that appeals to people with a capability for abstract thinking and can accept entertainment which presents the unexpected.No, the Lone Ranger is not an Instant Hero and Tonto is not his servant.The plot does not always follow the linear direction that you would think.And the story told by the old Tonto is possibly that in his own mind just a story.But these are the things I liked about the movie and thoroughly enjoyed watching it at The Family Drive-in in Stephens City,VA with my wonderful wife,my awesome 5 month old son (who fell asleep on my chest before the movie even started) and a sky full of stars overhead.Add this one to my list of all time revisionist westerns and I am looking for more like it from this creative team. Expand
Tessara_VejganOct 19, 2013
Instead of making it a comedy they should of made it an action/western that would of been better than this thing. The main actor has no personality what so ever and other characters aren't much different. I don't know didn't like it at all.
Prodigy2013Oct 14, 2013
I'm a little late with 'The Lone Ranger', but better never than late! Not only did the movie fail to examine themes of greed and racism (issues that were tailored for this kind of material), it failed at telling a good story, period. II'm a little late with 'The Lone Ranger', but better never than late! Not only did the movie fail to examine themes of greed and racism (issues that were tailored for this kind of material), it failed at telling a good story, period. I thought the story was poorly framed. The constant back and forth between Tonto’s (Johnny Depp's character) retelling of the tale of the Lone Ranger to a precocious boy, always drew us out of the main story line. Johnny Depp's heavy makeup and oddball shtick is getting tired now; and the chemistry with Army Hammer’s Lone Ranger fell flat. As we've seen with the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, Gore Verbinski is no stranger to staging elaborate action sequences; but here, the action feels even more implausible and spans for way too long. This brings to the length of this movie, which has no business being 150 minutes! A leaner runtime and tighter narrative would have definitely lightened my eyelids. The only thing I truly admired about 'The Lone Ranger' was the quality of the production value. The character-centric costumes, production designs and sound designs gave it a top-notch quality that you've come to expect from big budget studio films such as this. Too bad the brain doesn't match the muscles. This dud will only be remembered for being one of 2013's biggest flops. Expand
cbibejsOct 9, 2013
The Lone Ranger is the best movie of 2013 (so far). If the kid inside you is still alive, just ignore all the negative critics and enjoy the great movie.
OsakawathOct 7, 2013
I can not believe the criticism about this movie was excellent mourn me laugh, and it was extremely fun the critics do not know watch movies today. they just want money
movieboyOct 5, 2013
Having seen how the critics trashed this movie I was expecting the worst. Wow did they ever get it wrong. To me it was the ultimate, thrilling Saturday morning western I remember seeing as a kid. Of course it was over the top and absurd inHaving seen how the critics trashed this movie I was expecting the worst. Wow did they ever get it wrong. To me it was the ultimate, thrilling Saturday morning western I remember seeing as a kid. Of course it was over the top and absurd in places it was meant to be because it was such a glorious homage to this genre. Don't be put off by over-intellectualizing critics. It's a blast. Expand
Qgal5kapOct 5, 2013
The movie showed good potential at the beginning, and I was somewhat enjoying myself.
However, this soon changed, and it turned into quite the mess. The ending was so fantastical and unbelievable, that I completely lost interest, and subsequently stopped caring about it. The scene where silver (the horse) jumps off a building and onto the train, was so stupid that I completely dropped my jaw onto the dirty cinema floor. I am wondering if I can sue Disney for ruining one of my childhood heroes, as well as the germs that infected me from the whole jaw dropping on the floor thing...
LehlohonoloOct 5, 2013
WTF is up with these critics. Seriously top entertainment here and they rate it an average of 3.7 These semi-intellectuals need to get their heads out of their asses and rate movies according to entertainment value. I had fun through theWTF is up with these critics. Seriously top entertainment here and they rate it an average of 3.7 These semi-intellectuals need to get their heads out of their asses and rate movies according to entertainment value. I had fun through the whole movie hence rating it a 10 Expand
KittyCloseSep 30, 2013
This film was fantastic! It perfectly captured what I liked best about the old TV show. The Lone Ranger is a condescending ass that Tonto and Silver have to save time and again. It becomes and inside joke that we the audience are in on.This film was fantastic! It perfectly captured what I liked best about the old TV show. The Lone Ranger is a condescending ass that Tonto and Silver have to save time and again. It becomes and inside joke that we the audience are in on. Why do they keep helping him despite his "better than you" attitude. Because his heart is in the right place. Tonto is wise, patient and witty. Johnny Depp was excellent in the role. Expand
DragonheartedSep 18, 2013
At some point there was this one scene where Armie Hammer's persona was being dragged through horse fecal matter. That's exactly how it felt watching this putrid excuse of entertainment.
AnnthiswaySep 12, 2013
Pretty nice action. Go and see it right now if you haven't saw it. It was really nice. This movie is underrated. I think this movie deserves to get a Oscar in the next year. MUST SEE.
hoops2448Sep 10, 2013
Much like with his first Pirates of the Caribbean film, Gore Verbinski has roved that he is a master of both spectacle and story as The Lone Ranger is an unconventional yet exhilarating tale of reinvention and revenge. While returning homeMuch like with his first Pirates of the Caribbean film, Gore Verbinski has roved that he is a master of both spectacle and story as The Lone Ranger is an unconventional yet exhilarating tale of reinvention and revenge. While returning home John Reid (Armie Hammer) meets Tonto (Johnny Depp) during a daring train jailbreak. When John is left for dead Tonto saves him and encourages him to become something outside the law, to become a Lone Ranger. Much like Verbinski's previous effort Rango, The Lone Ranger is a twist on the conventional western and doesn't quite feel like a western at all. The Lone Ranger feels like a remarkably smart kids film as almost everything in the film happens for the sake of comedy as the film rockets along with a light hearted tone. However the film does have some disturbing moments that give John and Tonto their justifications for their vendetta meaning there are moments when the film doesn't feel like a 12A at all but a 15 meaning there are moments that may not be suitable for children, especially a rather twisted torture scene early on in the film. It's a courageous film that goes against the stereotypical western formula to become its own beast, a fast paced revenge thriller that boasts more comedy than the average buddy comedy and still has room for exploding trains, gunfights and romance. A film that is trying to be spectacular and look incredible and despite a slow opening it pretty much achieves everything it sets out to do and more. Expand
wooSep 4, 2013
This film is very good. It is as good as when you see Pirates of the Caribbean for the first time. The main characters are easy to relate to. The action scenes are quite amazing.and the story line keeps you going.. Perfect cinema fodder
Jack_SunshineSep 3, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ahead of The Lone Ranger as it made its way across the pond was a cloud of overwhelming negativity from American critics, souring the film's UK opening. Stars Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp have defended the film against this tirade, arguing that these reviews were written months before the film was released, and focused on condemning the large budget length. This side of the Atlantic, critical reception has been elevated to "mixed". Bracing ourselves for the worst, the revelation is that The Lone Ranger is actually a cracking film, that does not deserve its fate as the latest high profile flop.

Yes, the $250 million dollar budget screams extravagance, and the two-and-a-half- hour runtime seems bloated. This is typical of a Hollywood bubble that seems in danger of bursting, as studios continue to green light expensive sequels and reboots that absorb money and frequently fail to make a significant return. The length is not a problem; it remains interesting throughout, and the last sequence is almost a little too action packed.

What sets The Lone Ranger apart is that it is seriously old school cinema. The Lone Ranger himself, with his white Stetson, domino mask and strict moral code, is an iconic American character, first appearing in 1930s radio serials, and more famously in the 1950s television series. The latest incarnation is directed by Gore Verbinski, who knows a thing or two about working with Johnny Depp. The man who brought swashbuckling sagas back to our screens is an appropriate choice to resurrect one of the earliest Western heroes.

Trailers featured behind the scenes footage, seeking to make us aware that this film eschews total reliance on CGI, instead opting to perform many of the most impressive stunts for real. There are some particularly breathtaking sequences involving trains; the story is set against the backdrop of the transcontinental railway, the completion of which is relocated to reconstruction-era Texas.

The film provides compelling back stories and character arcs for both the Lone Ranger and Tonto. From the character's inception, The Lone Ranger was instilled with a strong set of principles, and this is how John Reid, the man who will become the Ranger, starts his journey: as a man of virtue but naivety, who believes in the law, and more importantly, a powerful sense of justice. This is challenged powerfully over the course of the film; Reid must carve himself a new justice as he comes to term with the faults in the system, and its ineffectuality in the lawless West.

Tonto's after Cavendish for different reasons, seeking atonement for the mistakes of his past. There's silver in them there hills, and the location of a rich vein was unwittingly revealed to Cavendish by a young Tonto. This folly cost the boy dearly: Cavendish murdered Tonto's entire village to keep the location a secret. Unable to come to terms with this act of brutality, Tonto convinced himself that the outlaw is a wendigo, a cannibal demon.

Much like other films that revive a beloved franchise, The Lone Ranger spends its time with tongue firmly planted in cheek, and is packed full of tip-of-the-hat homage. This nostalgia trip rubs off the generation that grew up with the classic incarnations, who are waiting for a cry of "Hi-yo Silver, away!" or a rousing rendition of William Tell Overture, both of which are delivered, and wisely held back until the finale.

The choice of the relatively unknown Hammer to play the Lone Ranger preserves some of the mystery of the character that might have been difficult with a familiar Hollywood face. Hammer handles the role with the good natured comic charm of Brendan Fraser in The Mummy (1999). As this is a Lone Ranger who is still learning the ropes of heroism, the casting allows Tonto to step into the limelight and spend more time driving the story.

Johnny Depp gives a typically quirky performance as Tonto. There's plainly something of a certain pirate captain coming through in the character's mannerisms, but Tonto's spirituality and raison d'être are different enough from Jack Sparrow's love of mammon and the bottle to keep the interpretation original.

With focus on the relationship between the two leads, secondary characters have limited screen time, and are underdeveloped. But the cast is rounded out nicely. An unrecognisable William Fichtner is suitably despicable as the cannibalistic Butch Cavendish and Helena Bonham Carter shows up as a brothel madam. The Lone Ranger has truly been a highlight of the summer film calendar. It manages to be both a traditional western that captures the spirit of old Hollywood, and revisionist in its interpretation of the characters. Don't listen to the critics on this one.
andrewgarcia732Sep 2, 2013

If you liked this review, read my other work and mark this as helpful.
DibbHansenAug 30, 2013
It might be overly long and weird (the rabbits...still doesn't make any sense), but the film is still entertaining. Johnny Depp is the best in the film and he makes the film entertaining. Without his presence the film gets overly boring. IIt might be overly long and weird (the rabbits...still doesn't make any sense), but the film is still entertaining. Johnny Depp is the best in the film and he makes the film entertaining. Without his presence the film gets overly boring. I felt as if the main character was a baby- he just whined the whole time and never really did anything SUPER heroic. No wonder why they put Johnny Depp's name all over it. Johnny saves the movie with his fantastic acting and comedic performance. The films music (by fantastic composer Hans Zimmer) is perfect and the action is awesome along with its eye popping visual effects. This film is weird, but entertainingly good. Expand
Kewldog1111Aug 28, 2013
This would have been the worst movie Ive seen in years. Depp, you should be ashamed of yourself. No continuity, no real story line, and I left before the movie was even 3/4 through.
Not anything could have saved it.
JohnnyStephensAug 25, 2013
A masterpiece!! Epic!! Perfection!!!! One of the best live action films ever made!!! Do not listen to anyone and watch it!!!! You will really enjoy it!!!!
chibistevoAug 22, 2013
As Bender would say, Lone Ranger is simply fun on a bun.

As Bender would say, Lone Ranger is simply fun on a bun.

I'm not entirely sure what critics were expecting to see here, but it's clear they had the wrong head on. The plot is somewhat disjointed, but I fail to see that as a negative. If anything TLR does a more than worthy job of plotting the narrative of many different characters as the film steers toward the end. It's all predictable stuff, but, honestly, wasn't POTC? I fail to see how this is in any way inferior.

Depp, of course, is the main draw. He was always going to be. He more than makes up for the particularly weak portrayal of Lone Ranger, an actor I can only describe as some Brendon Fraser wannabe.

The laughs aren't abundant, nor are they clever, but Depp still delivers them with charm.

The runtime causes for some fatigue, and I would say there was a generally long section of desert crawling which could have been cut. And the anecdotal way the story was told at the beginning detracted the meaning somewhat.

Still, a very fun film. Far more bearable than The Man of Steel.
FranzHcriticAug 22, 2013
Not bad, but not stellar. Johnny Depp is the main drive, even though the whole script is convoluted and it's pacing droning on. But you can see it once and like it, see it twice and be done with it.
ArjanS87Aug 22, 2013
Amusing little movie, once again completely carried by Johnny Depp.
Whether it'd be a pirate head or Native American feather, his repertoire is starting to go stale and more the same.
Please, Disney and Depp, go back to the drawing board
Amusing little movie, once again completely carried by Johnny Depp.
Please, Disney and Depp, go back to the drawing board and find us once again an amazing story with a whole new acting experience.
tthumbAug 20, 2013
My wife and I, who both grew up in the 50s with the TV series, absolutely loved this movie. We are admittedly Johnny Depp fans and knew from the expert reviews that we would most probably love this movie, as we rarely agree with the stiffMy wife and I, who both grew up in the 50s with the TV series, absolutely loved this movie. We are admittedly Johnny Depp fans and knew from the expert reviews that we would most probably love this movie, as we rarely agree with the stiff collared professional hacks. The movie had obvious flaws like dangling plots, corny puns and character deviations from it's puritanical routes of the radio series but succeeded in it's primary goal of pure entertainment. Lighten up folks this movie will be a cult classic. Expand
AhmedghafouriAug 20, 2013
This film was absolutely fantastic! Not only did the film appeal to children but to all audiences by its great use of mild gore, adventurous action and tasteful humor. From thrilling fight scenes to sad death scenes, the film has you feel aThis film was absolutely fantastic! Not only did the film appeal to children but to all audiences by its great use of mild gore, adventurous action and tasteful humor. From thrilling fight scenes to sad death scenes, the film has you feel a great range of emotions.

This film is wrongly criticized by many critics, I cannot believe anyone has rated this film bellow an 8!

it is a must watch film

GO AND WATCH IT!
josephjacob3232Aug 15, 2013
A movie gets hated by critics by loved by me let me say the action the soundtrack and the whole style of the movie was great Johnny Depp shines a light as Tonto great with humour and Armie Hammer as the lone ranger he was good little stupidA movie gets hated by critics by loved by me let me say the action the soundtrack and the whole style of the movie was great Johnny Depp shines a light as Tonto great with humour and Armie Hammer as the lone ranger he was good little stupid at times but still it just a movie the only downside to this is red just get her out of the film a together get if you like pirates 1 2 3 & 4 just leave this movie alone Expand
Bradyboy12Aug 12, 2013
Gritty and entertaining, but the lone ranger suffers from cheesy dialogue and an uncreative story, but if you are looking for a two and a half hour thrill ride look no further
CorvinAug 10, 2013
This one has some funny moments thanks to Johnny Depp but is too heavy-handed with the slapstick action escapes. I also detested the title character a bit more than perhaps the writers intended or would have wanted, since it kept me fromThis one has some funny moments thanks to Johnny Depp but is too heavy-handed with the slapstick action escapes. I also detested the title character a bit more than perhaps the writers intended or would have wanted, since it kept me from engaging more with the film. Expand
MrsWAug 10, 2013
I went to see this film with pretty low expectations, thanks to the panning Lone Ranger has had from the critics. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the film. I mean, yes it's a bit predictable at times, and it is a long film (although II went to see this film with pretty low expectations, thanks to the panning Lone Ranger has had from the critics. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the film. I mean, yes it's a bit predictable at times, and it is a long film (although I didn't really notice that during the film I think if I were to watch it again it would feel too long and overly padded). But it is also really entertaining. My friends and I laughed a lot during the film and we all came out of the cinema having enjoyed the film. I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't going to take the plot too seriously but just wants to have fun for a couple of hours. Expand
ERB2Aug 9, 2013
This movie is funny and good.I can't believe the critics hate this movie I mean this movie is great especially If Johnny Depp is in the movie.
ElasticmanAug 4, 2013
This is a horrendous movie and it's relatively poor box office return reflects that. The main problem is the poor storyline, which tries to cover so many bases, that it has no structure and is total nonsense. This film could have either beenThis is a horrendous movie and it's relatively poor box office return reflects that. The main problem is the poor storyline, which tries to cover so many bases, that it has no structure and is total nonsense. This film could have either been a comic buddy story, such as Starsky and Hutch, or a more profound story looking at the interaction between Native Americans and settlers through the relationship of the Lone Ranger and Tonto. The fact it tries to cover both and more leads to confusion. The lead performances are not great. Armie Hammer lacks presence and comic sensibility as the Lone Ranger, whereas Johnny Depp is unintelligible as a mumbling, halting version of Jack Sparrow. However, the support cast, in particular Tom Wilkinson and Helena Bonham-Carter, are good. I suspect, there will be no sequel, but I also think there will be no reboot, certainly not in the near future. Who thought that the world was waiting for $215mn Lone Ranger blockbuster? Expand
midoumaxAug 4, 2013
The lone Ranger Is Great and wonderful film and the dialog is sharp, and humorous, the special effects are very good
I don't know why the critics are negative
Luke_McLaughlinAug 1, 2013
The Lone Ranger has good moments, but overall it is a film chalk full of pacing problems, blatant racism, and confusing flashbacks. The film starts off hot with an unbelievably cool train action scene. I found myself wondering why the criticsThe Lone Ranger has good moments, but overall it is a film chalk full of pacing problems, blatant racism, and confusing flashbacks. The film starts off hot with an unbelievably cool train action scene. I found myself wondering why the critics had been so harsh on the pacing of the film, and then the next hour and twenty minutes occurred. In blatant terms, it was slow. The movie ends with another amazing action scene, but the middle drags on for an overwhelming length. Johnny Depp does not produce his best work here. Instead of portraying Tonto correctly, intelligent with a hint of crazy, he played him at times idiotic and down right stupid. Depp made the entirety of the Native American people look dumb, and because of it came across racist. Lastly, what were the flashbacks about? Why did we need to see Tonto as an old man, and what was the symbolism at the end? I missed it completely... The Lone Ranger will go down as one of the biggest box office flops of the summer, and after viewing it is understandable. Expand
MRbossFTWJul 31, 2013
Another disney film with a star studded cast. It tries to bring back some of the companies glory days but fails miserably. But has some good humor in it.
Max_FullerJul 30, 2013
This movie tends to get sour ratings. But, personally, I didn't think it was that bad. I mean the action was kind of null at some points, but this movie deserves at least a 6.5.
dyshpoJul 29, 2013
All the character are competent and capable when they need to be but then there drooling idiots later Story is bad the Lone Ranger is a sad disappointment
snickersveluzJul 28, 2013
Gore Verbinski showcased his status as Disney's go-to guy for summer blockbusters by collaborating once again with his long time favorite actor Johnny Depp, but this time dressing him up as a native American rather than his usual pirateGore Verbinski showcased his status as Disney's go-to guy for summer blockbusters by collaborating once again with his long time favorite actor Johnny Depp, but this time dressing him up as a native American rather than his usual pirate attire. However, while trying to deliver a fun, witty and smart film that pays tribute to the original source material, Verbinski fell short in these aspects. As much as I enjoyed the Pirates of the Carribean movies, I felt that this movie could have been handled in a better way.
Overall, the jokes felt flat, the story was predictable, the action sequences were alright, and the musical scoring was dull. Go into this movie expecting Pirates of the Carribean level quality, and you'll leave feeling cheated of that expectation.
GanwhoJul 27, 2013
To save this movie from the horrid reviews of critics, I felt the need to make a review myself, I promise I'll try to make it brief (this is my first review, mind you).

Fist off, if you are an average person, then do NOT trust the critics'

Fist off, if you are an average person, then do NOT trust the critics' review on this one. The Lone Ranger is an entertaining, and action-packed adaptation from the mid-50's television show. I wouldn't say this would be a "family" movie, considering all of the brief, but disturbing content.

I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, and couldn't be happier to go to the movies. I was, however, a bit surprised at how long the running time was (not including credits). The Lone Ranger is one of my favorite Disney movies to date. Heck, it's one of my favorite movies in general. An all-round fun and exciting movie.