7.8

1. Apr 25, 2013
    You might just take Looper at first glance as what it says in all the marketing and synopsis material, with time travel now being possible, large crime syndicates send their targets back in time to be executed by Loopers, hired guns who can dispose of the bodies a lot easier than they can in the future.
    But what is shown in the film is so much more than that, and it plays out into a brilliant, yet not perfect, sci-fi thriller.
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt stars as Joe, one of these Loopers, and when he isn't being hired to kill someone from the future, he is stashing away the silver bricks, his payment, and only cashes in a few, and by night he parties and takes drugs, until his next assassination. Gordon-Levitt has had prosthetics and make-up applied to his face to look like a younger version of, well, himself, but actually Bruce Willis, who plays the future Joe, sent back in time to be killed, and of course when this goes wrong, the simple rule has been disobeyed, never let your loop get away.
    But in the bigger picture, Old Joe is back to try and prevent a tragic event in his own life, and he can only do so in Young Joe's time, and that lies within a small boy, Cid, played by Pierce Gagnon, and this kid truly puts in a wonderful performance, he is perhaps the best thing about this film and his acting and manner is fantastic, and of course a plot twist just adds to the heightened drama.
    The whole cast, including Emily Blunt and Jeff Daniels, are on fine form, a Looper truly does portray a different sort of dystopian future that we are used to seeing in cinema these days. But while the film is smart and clever in its original idea, this perhaps could be its biggest downfall. The amount of plot holes after watching it second time are just too big to ignore or not give notice to, they don't exactly ruin what is a entertaining film, but on occasion it just seems all for nothing when you realise what other way it could have went. With such a complex idea, there was always going to be a slip up along the way for writer/director Rain Johnson.
    Aside from this, there are enough twists and turns to keep you entertained for two hours, and Gordon-Levitts similarities to Bruce Willis including his gruff, soft-spoken voice are mind-boggling.
    An excellent, albeit flawed thriller, which offers realism, while also poking fun the odd time on what other films try so hard to be serious about, definitely see Looper.
  2. Feb 22, 2013
    You can never go wrong in choosing a movie that stars Bruce Willis or Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but when they come together, that's when the magic really happens! Looper is the brainchild of Rian Johnson, who likes to bring us unusual stories, that mainly star JGL, however Looper is much easier to follow than most of Johnson's other films. While I'm not his biggest fan, his attention to detailYou can never go wrong in choosing a movie that stars Bruce Willis or Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but when they come together, that's when the magic really happens! Looper is the brainchild of Rian Johnson, who likes to bring us unusual stories, that mainly star JGL, however Looper is much easier to follow than most of Johnson's other films. While I'm not his biggest fan, his attention to detail has always really stood out to me and is perhaps never more evident than in Looper. Johnson actually used make-up and special effects to make JGL resemble a young Bruce Willis, which I found to be ingenious. Not to be overlooked is of course how clever a story Looper is, as it blends together time travel and the mafia. In the future, time travel has been invented, but like every other good thing, it is illegal. The mafia controls time travel and uses it as a weapon to commit murder. In this future world, it is impossible to dispose of a body, so the mafia sends their targets back in time where they are met an executed by a hired gun, known as a looper. The performances are of course top notch, Willis, the action star of a generation, only gets better with age, and JGL is the simply put the hardest working, most under appreciated actor in all of Hollywood. To be completely honest, this intriguing, action-packed, thriller was not as good as I expected it to be, and I really didn't care for the way in ended. That being said, it is still a great film that is definitely worth your while. Expand
  3. Aug 24, 2014
    Loopers are killers for hire - only they're tasked to get rid of the targets sent to them from the future. Easy gigs - as long as you don't let your target escape.

The story starts a little slow, then picks up speed when Joe finally misses his target - himself. Which means in thirty-odd years, he'll be sent back to be killed by his younger self. Only his old self isn't willing to be taken down so easily.

There is a plot inside the plot, which is definitely better than the original plot you keep expecting from the beginning; when the two Joe's come to some kind of understanding, that something's going on in the future that started here in the past, they begin to uncover the truth behind all the dying Loopers. They might not be moving towards a common goal but they still head that way.

There's a decent amount of action as well as good story-telling; you couldn't tell how things are going to end. That's definitely one of the best qualities of the film because it keeps you on your toes to the end.

The effects are nice, giving the movie a very realistic feel.
  4. Feb 11, 2013
    Writer/director Rian Johnson has hit the big time with Looper, a really polished and original clever sci-fi thriller that succeeds by focusing more on its characters and slick action than tying the narrative in loops to explain the intricacies of time travel. In fact the film makes it clear that the time travel discussion is off the table, Willis makes this point abundantly clear to hisWriter/director Rian Johnson has hit the big time with Looper, a really polished and original clever sci-fi thriller that succeeds by focusing more on its characters and slick action than tying the narrative in loops to explain the intricacies of time travel. In fact the film makes it clear that the time travel discussion is off the table, Willis makes this point abundantly clear to his younger self when the pair discuss their past/future in another great American diner scene. It simply isn't allowed to distract from the film. The action is stylish and the film carries a genuine sense of almost low budget indie cool throughout. Armed with his awesome blunderbuss, Gordon-Levitt copes with playing a lead action man well and is ably supported by Bruce Willis and Emily Blunt. Blunt, in particular, gives a strong performance as a single mother resolutely protecting her son.

I have seen some comments to the contrary, but I found the film's ending to be excellent and thought provoking.
  5. Feb 15, 2013
    I've shied away from movies of late. There was a time when I would have got excited by the next big science fiction movie, but I didn't really care Looper, and didn't rush out to see it, (even if it did feature the beautiful Emily Blunt). Especially since advertisements had compared it to that Wachowski Brothers film, which, although visually inventive at the time, had laughableI've shied away from movies of late. There was a time when I would have got excited by the next big science fiction movie, but I didn't really care Looper, and didn't rush out to see it, (even if it did feature the beautiful Emily Blunt). Especially since advertisements had compared it to that Wachowski Brothers film, which, although visually inventive at the time, had laughable dialogue. I eventually rented Rian Johnson's movie one bored Saturday evening. At first I couldn't get into it, so slept on it and watched it the next morning when I was more awake. Firstly, I must say how refreshing it is to see a movie that actually works. The visual aesthetic is convincing, and never at one point could I not suspend disbelief in this reality. Although it does not suffer with bad dialogue like many high concept movies where the focus is too much on the topography and plot of the movie, the dialogue is still probably the weakest element here. The film is competently acted by its cast leading me to check afterwards that Emily Blunt was indeed English. Props to her there for the accent. The film kept me engrossed throughout it's two hour duration. Admittedly it never really set my pulse racing, nor did it provoke me, or set the synapses firing, but neither was I bored. The plot is not overly taxing, but there are enough temporal shifts to keep it interesting. There were some nice stylistic flourishes which were probably unnecessary, but you come to expect style over content in this genre. The film does feel a little horizontal and flat at times, but maybe that is the mille plateaux. I would have to agree that I never really felt for the characters, although there was some humanity from Blunt's character. Although dystopian, to say that there is no hope whatsoever is untrue. There is some optimism to its denouement. I'm still waiting on a science fiction film that does not rely on weaponry for its thrills, and I'm growing tired of hearing profanities. I think it makes for lazy dialogue. However, I must concur this is one of the better things I have seem for quite some time. They called it a golden age at the Baftas, and I must admit sensing something of a renaissance in film at the moment. Expand
  6. Aug 8, 2013
    Looper portrays time-travelling better than most movies and also includes some maybe unexpected emotional messages that make it more than just an entertaining sci-fi flick. Director Rian Johnson gives us just enough explanation to understand the time-travelling aspects and at some parts, re-thinking what happened later on is almost necessary. However, because of this, you don’t get theLooper portrays time-travelling better than most movies and also includes some maybe unexpected emotional messages that make it more than just an entertaining sci-fi flick. Director Rian Johnson gives us just enough explanation to understand the time-travelling aspects and at some parts, re-thinking what happened later on is almost necessary. However, because of this, you don’t get the feeling that information is being thrown at you to help you with comprehending. It has good acting even in little supporting roles, distances itself from typical Hollywood movies with sometimes long dialogue sequences but also several wordless shots, and has absolutely sightly visuals. It profits from the self-ironic approach of director Rian Johnson and its little flaws can be forgiven. Due to all of that, it becomes a movie that you are definitely going to remember and that you will do well in buying on DVD or Blu-Ray since watching it a second time and then fully grasping everything that's going on is just as much fun as the first time. Expand
  7. Aug 14, 2013
    Looper is the best movie I've seen in 2012 and the best of the science fiction genre. The environment shown in the movie is just perfect, holding off, the extremely unreal. The best role that has been assigned to Joseph Gordon Levit in his career.

Looper es la mejor pelicula que he visto en 2012 y de lo mejor del genero de ciencia ficcion. El ambiente mostrado en la pelicula es simplemente perfecto, manteniendo a raya, lo extremadamente irreal. El mejor papel que se le ha asignado a Joseph Gordon Levit en su carrera.
  8. Apr 5, 2013
    I went in to this movie with high expectations because of the reviews, than i watch the movie and i was bored by it, this movie is clearly made for fans of time travel and science fiction and no one else, the plot is vary complicated and requires a lot of thinking and concentration, i got bored by this movie because i'm not a big fan of time travel movies, if you are not a fan of timeI went in to this movie with high expectations because of the reviews, than i watch the movie and i was bored by it, this movie is clearly made for fans of time travel and science fiction and no one else, the plot is vary complicated and requires a lot of thinking and concentration, i got bored by this movie because i'm not a big fan of time travel movies, if you are not a fan of time travel,science fiction or vary complicated movies, i would say avoid this movie because you will probably not like it

9. Mar 14, 2013
    Reading some of the reviews on imdb.com I was excited to see this, I dont think the movie's story is all that great, I guess I was expecting a better movie, 7/10 is the best I can give this.
  10. Nov 17, 2012
    Looper was a disappointing film that, having promised so much in its trailer, did not satisfy in both its uncompelling storyline, cliched acting and futuristic (borderline annoying) cinematography.
  11. Dec 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mildly entertaining premise that wasn't executed well. The movie's ending was terrible.

The main character just happens to end up on the very farm as the kid he is looking for after running from the diner? He didn't even know what that information on the note was until the farm owner explained it to him.

The story seemed to grow more and more inconsistent after the farm culminating with this hardened killer sacrificing himself for some kid he barely knew.
  12. Feb 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nel 2044 i ricchi sono ricchi e i poveri si arrangiano servendoli. I primi vivono nei grattacieli di una città che ricorda vagamente ‘Blade runner’ (ma senza le pubblicità), i secondi abitano in caseggiati popolari davanti ai quali parcheggiano le loro macchine rappezzate. Il risultato una società violenta e infiltrata dalla malavita: in più, rispetto ai giorni nostri, ci sono i loopers, assassini prezzolati che uccidono le vittime della mafia che vengono loro spedite da trent’anni nel futuro. Un lavoro pulito, pagato con i lingotti recapitati sulla schiena del malcapitato, che però può incepparsi quando a tornare il te stesso invecchiato. Dopo tanti altri, capita anche a Joe (per la seconda volta in pochi mesi ecco un killer di nome Joe): il problema che il passare degli anni lo ha fatto diventare Bruce Willis che, in cerca di vendetta, non ha nessuna voglia di farsi ammazzare. A partire da questo momento, ‘Looper’ si trasforma da buon thriller fantascientifico con qualche eccesso di violenza e manierismo ad opera di valore assoluto grazie a una seconda ora che, giocando tra i contrastanti sentimenti umani e i paradossi del viaggio nel tempo, affascina senza possibilità di scampo fino all’efficacissimo finale. E’ vero che, forse, sarebbe stato di ancor maggior effetto ribaltare la conclusione, ma questo un film, non un romanzo di Dick e allo spettatore fa piacere alleggerire un po’ l’animo dopo tanta cupezza e tensione: il giovane Joe decide di spezzare il cerchio (il loop che sarebbe stato meglio tradurre con circolo o anello) ed un bel cambiamento da parte di un tossico capace di sacrificare il suo miglior amico chi non elimina il proprio loop non ha scampo per salvare i lingotti accuratamente risparmiati sognando una fuga in Francia. Alla trasformazione, contribuisce non poco vedere come diventato il vecchio Joe: Willis interpreta senza battere ciglio, ormai se lo può permettere, un assassino di bambini incluso quello di una sua vecchia fiamma guidato solo dall’amore perduto e da un odio che lo illude di poter cambiare il futuro in cui il misterioso Sciamano (in originale Rainmaker, da cui gli svariati riferimenti a nuvole e pioggia) sta cercando di eliminare tutti i looper. Al confronto dell’attempato leone, al quale l’esperienza ha insegnato a dare qualche sfumatura alla granitica presenza, Gordon-Levitt dimostra di dover ancora percorrere parecchia strada, malgrado l’assidua presenza sugli schermi negli ultimi tempi: la sua interpretazione cresce però con il passare dei minuti, forse perché non ha proprio la faccia da killer e funziona meglio quando, in fuga, abbandona la città per rifugiarsi nella fattoria presidiata, il caso di dirlo, da una combattiva Emily Blunt. Proprio tra campi di frumento e strade sterrate si arriva alla conclusione, dopo che Willis ha fatto fuori un numero imprecisato, ma certamente alto, di mafiosi (compreso il plenipotenziario venuto dal futuro ben interpretato da Jeff Daniels) armato di due mitragliette, una per mano uniche armi non vintage, essendo le altre intonate ai gusti ‘passatisti’ del giovane Joe. E’ il culmine di sessanta minuti di grande cinema, capace di far pensare ed emozionare allo stesso tempo grazie a una qualità che, se la prima parte fosse allo stesso livello, porterebbe il film dallo status di ottima pellicola con un futuro di culto a quello di molto vicino al capolavoro, seppur di genere. Expand
  13. Nov 7, 2012
    Well... What to say... I think they really tried to make an intelligent movie but they kind of fail. That's too bad because the idea wasn't bad but too many things are out of place. The actors, they're not bad but not really good either, none of them is really engaging.
    I'd say go see this movie if you don't think too much and you are a bit bored because still the action scenes are not that bad.
  14. May 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A daft script that just isn't interesting. Worst treatment of time travel paradoxes: change a man in the present and that same man from the future changes to his own surprise. Seriously, the Futurama episode where Fry is his own grandfather is practically PKD compared to this tripe. Telekinesis mentioned in the first five minutes, to be used as a Deus Ex Machina in the ending, all in between is filled with awkwardly paced boring filler. The ending feels like bland proselytizing. Incredibly disappointing. Expand
  15. May 18, 2013
    I like the idea of time traveling, and this movie had it`s own unique style, but I can`t say I enjoyed it as much as I was hoping to. I`t was really hard to care for any of the characters. I`t didn`t matter who died, and would care less if those that lived died. The ending did get really interesting, I won`t say why but the movie goes up a notch, and almost makes it worth staying until the end.
  16. Feb 15, 2013
    The pace during the first hour was relentless. But then it varied so much I looked at the timer several times. Nonetheless, it was great if not awesome. Rainmaker is just a boogeyman. I was disappointed that they didn't show what he had done or was capable of, and I wouldn't have minded if they had added ten, fifteen minutes to shed light on his character. Gordon-Levitt earned some respectThe pace during the first hour was relentless. But then it varied so much I looked at the timer several times. Nonetheless, it was great if not awesome. Rainmaker is just a boogeyman. I was disappointed that they didn't show what he had done or was capable of, and I wouldn't have minded if they had added ten, fifteen minutes to shed light on his character. Gordon-Levitt earned some respect from me for his performance. Somehow I also enjoyed watching Willis. Blunt was surprisingly good too. All in all, this is one of the best sci-fi flicks I've ever seen. Expand
  17. Jan 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Life seems to have a clear beginning and end, but I don't see why almost every movieplot needs to follow the same format. Not saying that all movieplots litteraly begin with the birth of a character and end with their death, but instead I'm suggesting they begin with the so-called "Hollywood Beginning" and end with its short-bus brother the "Hollywood Ending." I define the "Hollywood Beginning" as any plot that force feeds milk down our throats until we understand what's going on, while its counterpart the "Hollywood Ending" ensure's us that the plot is over and not continuing on secretly after you leave the theater. What I like about Looper is the beginning. Without any leadup, it drops you into the middle of the main characters somewhat unique situation (Just watch the trailer and you'll find out what that is). A dangerous move for most far-fetched plots, but Looper is paced well and acted clear enough so the we naturally get on board with what's going on and even start to feel for the main character and the people around him. Brilliant. What I don't like about Looper is the latter half and the god awful ending. It takes everything that was semi-unique and compelling about the first 30 minutes and tosses it out the window with a lit molotov **** in its mouth. The only shred that remained was a "It's me against a brigade of unfair big cocks" plot, or in other words, the "Minority Report" plot.. So, to the same effect of sticking your mom in the ring to fight Mike Tyson, we have to watch our main character put up with his future brainless, professional death machine self, who wields uzzies like he's on the set of the next Die Hard installment. The beginning of the movie was so good because the daily life of a looper sounds so enticing, of course you'd inevitably have to think about the possibitly of killing your future self. A movie based around this idea alone is doomed to follow a path that leads to a big pile or already been used toilet paper. But a movie based around the life of one looper who has to deal with drug addiction, daily executions and the disposal of such victimes, coping with co-workers who shot their future self, or even didn't shoot their future self, is already enough character-plot crap to jam into a 2-hour flick. Expand
  18. Dec 1, 2013
    An intelligently written and fairly original sci-fi thriller that carries a decent amount of emotional resonance; Looper will reward your time greatly, if not exactly perfectly. The premise is somewhat similar to other time travel movies, like The Terminator, but it's been reworked into something more intellectually complex while staying fairly easy to follow. The characters all feelAn intelligently written and fairly original sci-fi thriller that carries a decent amount of emotional resonance; Looper will reward your time greatly, if not exactly perfectly. The premise is somewhat similar to other time travel movies, like The Terminator, but it's been reworked into something more intellectually complex while staying fairly easy to follow. The characters all feel fleshed out and all have extremely well rounded personalities. (This is no Prometheus.) Action is rarely this exhilaratingly brutal. None of it feels like filler here. Every last shot and every fight is embedded with incendiary energy. While the movie is extremely well acted and decently unique it still lacks the weight to be a masterpiece, but I'm not exactly sure why. The fault may lie in its futuristic world. A lot of the environments seemed unimaginative and I kept yearning for this future to catch up to the narrative in terms of creativity and awe. That's not to say that the film lacks atmosphere. It's just missing that extra spark to make it incredible. Still, it's definitely worth seeing, and is head and shoulders above most action fare. Expand
  19. May 21, 2013
    The first negative thing any critic will mention about this film is the plotholes. But you just have to remember that it is a time travel film and there is no escaping it, so you may as well embrace it. Was the Back to the Future franchise any less of a prodigy because of its gaping plotholes?
    That being said, this film is far from perfect while clever in a lot of respects (in many instances it does seem like there was a lot of thought put into it), it often comes off as thinking it's cleverer than it is.
    The whole thing is one big Terminator reference, and it seems to think that simply being self aware of the fact is justification enough. The pacing is also somewhat off-target and messy, as well as the plot as a whole.
    That in mind, it actually manages to provide an experience that is not totally forgettable. The occasional interesting plot device and hidden gem of insight mixed with some attention-grabbing, if somewhat jarring, pacing actually managed to make me take notice of this movie.
    In the end this movie won't change your life, but it will keep you entertained and maybe you'll even remember a thing or two about it in a year's time.
  20. Feb 16, 2013
    There are only a few movies in the world that can make you think. Think about what will happen next or even think about how the story relates to the characters. This movie has both. This Movie was an unexpected thriller, incredibly written and will keep me up at night just thinking about it.
  21. Mar 2, 2013
    Great movie but had a couple flaws hear and there but a great movie overall. Maybe one of the best movies of the year it had great action.GREAT MOVIE with great actors and a great plot.
  22. Mar 11, 2013
    This film got snubbed during the Oscars. How in the world did this not even get nominated for Best Original Screenplay?! Seriously you cannot show me a more unique film than Looper. Very few films blow my mind but Looper succeeded in doing just that. Dark, Different, and Entertaining as hell. One of the best movies of 2012.
  23. Mar 12, 2013
    Awesome movie. Despite a concept over present in modern movies the time-travel; the director succeed to create a world and a plot really captivating from the beginning to the great ending. Except the fact that it would have been really interesting to have a better look at the hero's future, the whole movie avoid the "cliches" and succeed in its initial goal entertain
  24. Jul 1, 2013
    The time travel paradox is glaringly obvious in this one. But it has to be. The movie itself would cease to exist otherwise :)

Summary - Short on Zzzzz's before watching? You might find a lengthy spot to catch up on them. - Brilliant. NO. (bit of no-brainer after-the-fact) - Clever. MOSTLY. - Good acting. SOME OF IT VERY GOOD. - Worth it. YES. (well... it's not a drink coaster

Summary
    - Brilliant. NO. (bit of no-brainer after-the-fact)
    - Clever. MOSTLY.
    - Good acting. SOME OF IT VERY GOOD.
    - Worth it. YES. (well... it's not a drink coaster anyway.....)

Would I watch it again. I don't know. Did I?
  25. Jul 6, 2013
    A great time travel movie with I think a bit of revenge flick thrown in there. The characters chemistry are perfect between the hero, the mother and the destined child and Bruce Willis is a stone cold killer, which you dislike his character from the start. It's a believable realistic future setting in which your engrossed into these people that when they get emotional or are put in a lifeA great time travel movie with I think a bit of revenge flick thrown in there. The characters chemistry are perfect between the hero, the mother and the destined child and Bruce Willis is a stone cold killer, which you dislike his character from the start. It's a believable realistic future setting in which your engrossed into these people that when they get emotional or are put in a life or death situation you feel the moment so the ending was unexpected and sad, but understood the decision made with a meaningful action. Expand
  26. Nov 25, 2014
    Looper could possibly be my favourite film of 2012. It's not quite as good as 2010's Inception, but it's certainly the most thought provoking and entertaining Sci-Fi since then and personally I think Looper is a worthy mention alongside Sci-Fi's such as Inception, The Matrix and 12 Monkeys. To Rian Johnson's credit, this film has everything. It boasts originality and sophistication,Looper could possibly be my favourite film of 2012. It's not quite as good as 2010's Inception, but it's certainly the most thought provoking and entertaining Sci-Fi since then and personally I think Looper is a worthy mention alongside Sci-Fi's such as Inception, The Matrix and 12 Monkeys. To Rian Johnson's credit, this film has everything. It boasts originality and sophistication, thought provoking story telling, visually it's spectacular, the set pieces are thoroughly enjoyable and all round the performances are as equally impressive. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is one of my favourite actors in recent years and he's brilliant here. I was pleased to see him take centre stage after a successful run of supporting roles. And Bruce Willis actually looks interested for a change and he gives his best performance in years. Emily Blunt is strong also and I was surprised to see underrated actor Jeff Daniels in a supporting role for the first time in years. Most Sci-Fi's attempt to be as big and loud as possible. But tonally I think Looper hits a similar chord to Terry Gilliam's 12 Monkeys. It's an impressive, ambitious and intelligent piece of filmmaking from Rian Johnson. And to the films credit it doesn't get carried away with an excessive sense of scale and it doesn't over complicate itself with too many unnecessary characters and multiple distractive plot threads. Also it balances the action perfectly knowing exactly when to throw in a set piece for good measure. Looper is a thoroughly enjoyable piece of filmmaking and I'm intrigued to see what the likes of Rian Johnson and Joseph Gordon-Levitt do next. Collapse Expand
  27. May 1, 2014
    In fact it is one of the best movies I have watched. It entertains as lots of other movies but it also gives us a very serious message to think over. www.viewforum.net/movie-stunned-me-150/looper-2012-a-3852/
  28. Jun 7, 2013
    It is apparent that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is talented enough to be portraying a younger Bruce Willis. Pierce Gagnon (a.k.a Cid) is possibly the most skillful child actor to be seen in a film recently. Not even eight years old yet, the director of the film admits to having been amazed and privileged to have worked with him. He deserves more credit. Furthermore, despite the fact that Levitt'sIt is apparent that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is talented enough to be portraying a younger Bruce Willis. Pierce Gagnon (a.k.a Cid) is possibly the most skillful child actor to be seen in a film recently. Not even eight years old yet, the director of the film admits to having been amazed and privileged to have worked with him. He deserves more credit. Furthermore, despite the fact that Levitt's make-up to resemble Willis was far too exaggerated and distinct to be unnatural throughout the movie, Looper was a spectacular work of science fiction. It delivered beyond the expectations of the public by combining the good-old time travel tradition with the emotional hardship of facing your future-self (with a view to killing him). Watching it was like reading a good book. When it's over there's just something missing... Expand
  29. Jun 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is ok. It has an interesting plot and i liked the futuristic action and all this stuff. However there was something missing in that film. Maybe the actors, or the ending or the 'power' of that kid. I don't know. I enjoyed it but I knew that something was missing from Looper Expand
  30. Jun 28, 2013
    The idea of this film I found to be absolutely fantastic. However, I feel it could have been executed better. I'd heard rave reviews about the film, reading them and from friends so I gave the film a try and found it to be very anti-climatic compared to the plot. To me, it seems like they thought the plot was good enough to make a hit film and not fill it with the right content.

I

I enjoyed it, just not as much as I thought I would.
  31. Jun 20, 2013
    One of the best Sci-fi thrillers to come about in a long time, Looper brings the audience an original story with great intensity and relatable characters. The film is intelligently written and touches on themes of fate, responsibility, and coming of age. I personally loved Joe's character arch and how he changes as the movie goes on. A must see and one of the 5 best movies of 2012.
  32. Jul 26, 2013
    By far the best Bruce Willis film I have ever seen. It is not just a lazy action film, the plot and characters and really quite clever, and the ending is superb. You won't be disapointed...
  33. Dec 21, 2014
    From the unknown director: Rian Johnson comes Looper. A clean and original sci-fi film that got a tough script and much boring stuff.

The first thing that truly makes this film incredible is the sci-fi and action; it’s so cool and entertaining. The film is a challenge for the brain from the start and throughout the film, which is great because it do raise questions with the audience. Looper is a great time-travel film that’s unique in it’s own way. The story: that a future man travels back in time to stop his wife from being killed is a classic, and the high pace of action is awesome. The structure of the film is very similar with J.J Abrams’s Star Trek and other films; we see similar lens-flares, touching soundtrack and action at a high tempo. There are a bunch of unique things in Looper, but I wish there could have been more. That’s because it’s not a clean and original film due to the influence from J.J. The script is another thing that could have been done better; the conversations are slow and boring, and the film overall is boring. I wish there could have happened even more awesome things in Looper, because the film do have an incredible cast, spectacular CGI and a touching story. The opening scene is just as great as the ending, but my only wish is that there could have been more unique.

This is a classic time-travel film, but unfortunately there are much slow and boring scenes and there could have happened much more.

Looper gets a 7/10.
  34. Jul 28, 2013
    this movie is held together barely by duct tape logic. The producers really cashed in on people who just want a total escape into absurdity really so many holes the cast should've felled to their deaths but somehow they managed to live. Great entertainment loved this movie i really liked campy time travel logic i really loved going down the rabbit hole.
  35. Sep 17, 2013
    Looper starts out great. The plot is fresh and original, the acting is pretty good, Joseph Gordon Levitt looks a hell of a lot like an actual young Bruce Willis, and the movie goes from there, with JGL trying to chase his "future self" through the present. This movie is complex, but once you hit Nirvana with the idea, like Inception, you will understand everything.

As Levitt chases his

As Levitt chases his future self through the world, he stumbles across a farmhouse, and there lies Emily Blunt. From that point in the movie --a little under halfway-- the plot shifts, and is all about Blunt's son. (I won't spoil what happens anymore).I hated this plot shift as the focus of the movie veered off the side of the road of getting to the intended finale. other than this, the movie isn't half bad.
  36. Jun 18, 2014
    Looper is generally good in terms of both "science-fiction" and "crime thriller". The idea of time travel is obviously exciting, which in particular permits us to kill our own "future guy" who is also a target for the mob, while thriller, crime genre has always been highly favored by even the most fastidious film critics. But that's all to say about Looper. It is far from as good asLooper is generally good in terms of both "science-fiction" and "crime thriller". The idea of time travel is obviously exciting, which in particular permits us to kill our own "future guy" who is also a target for the mob, while thriller, crime genre has always been highly favored by even the most fastidious film critics. But that's all to say about Looper. It is far from as good as Minority Report ( sci-fi ) or goodfellas ( crime thriller ) Expand
  37. Jul 21, 2014
    Looper is not just a "science fiction flick" it has very innovated inventions in its own way, the story is and the concept of the story are top notch, reminds me of "Inception" and "12 Monkeys"
  38. Mar 13, 2014
    This film is the definition of terrible! It has more plot holes than I can count, this films time travelling rules are about as backwards as its storyline, it had random telekinetic abilities stuck in that had no influence on the story at all. And the ending made the whole film pointless since it apparently shouldn't have happened.

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Oct 1, 2012
    For all its mayhem, runs like a mad and slightly sad machine, whirring with hints of folly and regret, and the ending, remarkably, makes elegant sense to a degree that eludes most science fictions. How to describe it, without giving anything away? Scrambled, but rare. [1 Oct. 2012, p.84]
  2. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Sep 28, 2012
    Looper felt to me like a maddening near-miss: It posits an impossible but fascinating-to-imagine relationship...and then throws away nearly all the dramatic potential that relationship offers. If someone remakes Looper as the movie it could have been in, say, 30 years, will someone from the future please FedEx it back to me?
  3. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Sep 28, 2012
    I'm not ready to proclaim Looper a sci-fi masterpiece just yet; let's let it sit awhile. But it's a lean, mean, smart, violent picture with a bit of Stanley Kubrick edge, fueled by the terrific Gordon-Levitt.